Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    The 2008 MDX is on the Acura.com website now. Not on Acura.ca site yet.
  • ttran3ttran3 Member Posts: 5
    I am new to Acura products. I recently traded my 2005 Audi A6 for the 2007 Acura MDX w/ Sport Pkg. I've been driving the MDX for about a week and already am disappointed with some of the fit and finish on the vehicle. However, for the money, I guess I really shouldn't complain.
    I recently bought a the wooded steering wheel and shift knob accessories. After the dealer installed the steering wheel, the car pulled to the right; guess they did not test it after the installation. They kept saying there is only 1 way to install it, so there was nothing wrong with the stallation. As a result, they adjusted the "toe in/out" (whatever that is). Under 500 miles and the vehicle already required adjustments. I was wondering if anyone here experienced this.
    I opted for Silver exterior with ebony interior. The paint on the door frame, when opened, has a "cloud" effect. It looked like uneven spray paint. Has anyone noticed this ? There are a number of fit and finish issues which led to me wonder if the vehicle had been damaged, fixed and sold without a disclosure. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
  • maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    Interesting--I am thinking of trading my '05 A6 for an '08 MDX. I love my Audi but really need an SUV. I've owned several Acuras and found them to be among the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I'm surprised at your problems and very interested to hear others chime in with their comments.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I am new to Acura, as well. I have owned a number of Hondas, great cars. I traded in my '99 Saab 9-5. The fit and finish on that car was absolutely perfect. It never rattled to the day I got rid of it. Everything fit beautifully. I, too, am very dissapointed in the fit and finish of the MDX. My Honda's have been good, I was expecting even better with the MDX. Out of the factory, things just weren't put together well. My old 1996 Ford Explorer had much better fit and finish.

In my car, each one of the plastic door thresholds was installed wrong, a panel above the pedals was falling off, the dashboard had a crack at a seam that was so big, I could put my finger through it, it rattles, and my windshield had to be replaced because it had a flaw that destorted the glass and made it blurry. I had about a dozen fit and finish flaws. My dealer has been fantastic, and fixed everything. (It still rattles from the back, but I guess they will never find that) But, if Acura wants to compete against the X5, Q7, SRX, and similar vehicles, rather than simply being a fancy Pilot, they better get their act in gear. I would characterize the fit and finish as sloppy and careless. Not exactly a resounding endorsement. Acura should be embarrased that my MDX left the factory in the condition it was in.

HOWEVER, having said that, I love this vehicle. I think Acura has some work to do, but the MDX (I have a sport) drives like a dream. It's quick and sticks to the road like a much smaller sports car. It is also very functional. I have had NO warranty work for anything mechanical, NONE. Everything works. I enjoy driving it every time I get into it. The question is whether I would buy another if this one got totalled. The answer is yes, I would. Next time, I would look at THE CAR I bought before I signed the paperwork. Maybe I just got the wrong guy on the wrong day at the factory. Acura has done a good job. Now they need to work on their quality control.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I'm so sorry to hear about your problems with your new MDX. I got one of the first ones off the lot (purchased on October 14 ~ three days before its official debut) and never have had any trouble with it. It now has 15,000 miles on it and I'm still loving it ;)!

In fact, I've found the MDX much better than my previous three Lexus RXs ~ both in performance and in fit and finish!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Acura has done a good job. Now they need to work on their quality control.

I'll second that suggestion. We have a 2004 TL 6-speed and 2005 MDX. And on the last few occasions they have been in for service, the dealer gives my wife a 2007 MDX loaner to try and tempt us to trade.

My take on Acura is that the fit and finish are good, but not great. I don't have any rattling issues with my TL, but the paint quality at 3 years is not as good as was the case with my old 1995 Japanese built Nissan Maxima. Same with the MDX. And it does have a rattle or two that are intermittent.

One thing is for sure, there is not an Acura product sold, the RL included, that could match the fit and finish and "tightness" of my former 2002 Honda S2000. That car had a tiny fraction of the electronic gizmos of the current crop of Acuras, but the limited prduction, Japanese hand built quality showed everwhere - in the stiching on the leather, the lustre of the paint, the complete absence of rattles. So I too, expected a little better from Acura. It's not that they are bad - they could just be a notch or two better.
  • ttran3ttran3 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like I am not the only one with these issues. :)

[maui19], like you, I needed a larger vehicle and practically "forced" myself to trade in my '05 A6 (I love that car). I considered the Q7, but option for option, from a value standpoint, it does not even come close to the MDX. If you decide to get the MDX, just make sure you have the dealer park the vehicle outdoor and inspect it thoroughly before signing anything. They had my vehicle indoor with fair lighting ... perhaps that's how I missed some of the issues before signing the paper.

I've been driving the MDX for about 3 weeks now. With the exception of some cosmetic issues I mentioned, I am enjoying the vehicle. The handling is quite good for an SUV. It hugs corners close very to the A6 ... at least with the sport pkg and sport suspension turned on. The technical gizmos are fun to play with. Overall, I am enjoying the vehicle.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Hi Folks,

Getting closer to getting a new MDX. Can't decide on whether or not to get the Sport Package. Surprisingly, several salesmen have told me its not worth the extra money but I'd rather hear it from the folks who have purchased the car and have driven it for a while. Two questions please:

1) For those of you who purchased the Sport Package, are you pleased??
    2) Brochure says Sport Package gets you perforated leather seats and a textured interior. What is the "textured interior"?? Only difference I can see is the seats.

Thanks for sharing.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    The perforated seats are a scosh cooler IMHO. Our Sport/Ent has a textured metallic surface surrounding the shifter, kind of like washboard cross-hatch. Don't forget there's much more to the Sport than you may realize... distinctive five spoke Titanium finish rims (cinch to clean, hide brake dust better than regs), bigger stab bar. The sleeper feature I enjoy most is the Sport suspension mode. It's just slightly more taught than Comfort but dive in and stomp on the gas in a deserted traffic circle and you'll probably agree the rush was worth every penny.

I was disappointed in Consumer Reports review of the MDX, probably because they drove it like a traditional 'reactive' anti-skid SUV. If you dare to use SH-AWD as designed, and that takes more than casual 5/10 driving, you'll be rewarded with a whoosh that scoots you around nearly any corner even in poor traction conditions. I find myself getting on it early so the predictable 300 ponies can engage before I exit. Whether or not that matters to most drivers is sometimes a financial decision but knowing you have it handy is comforting as the MDX morphs well. The diff between comfort and sport mode is minute, you may even forget which is on (easy to bump the switch) then realize why it feels rougher. This vehicle is truly underrated for it's squat and scoot turning capabilities despite being paunchy. No, I don't sell them but am still in love after six months. Go for the Sport if it fits your wallet?

'07 Sport/Ent MDX
    '06 Ody Touring
    04' DTS
    Scoping out big '08 SUV's
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    BUY THE SPORT !!!!!!!!

Your dealer has no clue what he is talking about. That is especially true if you are going to buy the NAV system anyhow. The difference in price between the MDX with NAV and the Sport (which comes with the NAV) is not that great. Its a great value.

The magnetic ride was developed by Cadillac and (I think) Ferrari (could be wrong on the second on, but I am pretty sure it was of Italian sports heritage). It is incredible, in a quiet sort of way. I am simply astonished that I don't see more of the Sport's out there. Acura doesn't seem to be pushing them either, which is a real shame.

The Suspension has an active damper system. What that means is that the put iron filings into the shocks and then run current through them. It is constantly changing, many times a second. They get stiffer, they get softer, without you doing anything. That is true in the comfort mode or sport mode. The sport mode is just a bit stiffer. So, when do you notice it? Slam on the breaks on the MDX Standard and the nose goes down, just like any other vehicle. The shocks in the sport stiffen automatically and the nose of the Sport stays relatively flat. Go around an off ramp in the Sport, the truck stays level, the outside shocks are stiffening automatically to keep the car flat. Go on a bumpy road and the suspension loosens up to absorb the bumps. The active suspension, coupled with the SH-AWD is really a great system.

It really comes down to what you want. If you want something that outhandles an X5, the sport is what you need. If not, save the money. For me, there was no choice. I wish that Acura would advertise the sport more. They should put a little "S" or something on the rear badge. The only difference from the exterior is the wheels, which do clean very easily. As far as other features, I also like that the tires are better. The leather is nicer, and the metal cross hatch on the dash just looks more finished than grey hard plastic.

Buy the sport and have some fun!
  • bauksbauks Member Posts: 8
    did you look at Audi's Q7 - a great SUV
    Have you priced a Q7? A fully decked out Sport/Tech MDX is under $50K MSRP. The mid line Premium 3.6 (280 HP) Q7 comparably equipped like the MDX S/T has an MSRP of $59,250. That's nearly and MDX with a side order of Honda Fit. I test drove one and was impressed with fit & finish... but little else stood out and it didn't have quite the stickability of SH-AWD.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I had previous Acuras and they were better built than the current ones. I have an 07 MDX and now regret the purchase due to rear suspension noises and other issues such as fit and finish, rattles, etc...
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Interesting spelling of "Skoshi" When were you in WestPac? I'm an old carrier sailor from the 50-60"s. Fair winds and a following sea!
  • ennnorakennnorak Member Posts: 9
    I want nothing to do with cylinder deactivation. It's needless complication. Fuel savings are not that great -- "up to" 20% promised by some car manufacturers but only 7% delivered in city driving and 15% claimed on average which I find a bit high. I had a 1981 Cadillac with the infamous 8-6-4 engine which I measured at 24 miles to the imperial gallon on the highway and then disconnected it by simply cutting off the wire from the transmission high-pressure sensor. After disconnecting, all 6-cylinder mode vibration was gone and my highway gas mileage was reduced to 21 miles to the imperial gallon. I was glad to give up the 12.5% fuel savings for a smooth-running engine.

I admit that deativation systems have improved since 1981 but some vibration and NOX issues remain to be resolved. I am concerned about possible long-term wear and metal fatigue problems resulting from running the engine block at an uneven temperature with temperature cycling due to some cylinders cutting in an out of the combustion process.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I wanted to make some comments relating to the recent postings about quality and comparison with other vehicles. I have had a Cdn Elite model since April and it now has 12,000 ks, about half city and half highway. Previously, I had a 04 TL which had 80,000 ks on it before I traded it in April. And prior to that, I had an 03 RSX which had 60,000 ks on it when I traded it in Sept 04. So I've had a fair bit of experience with models made in North America and in Japan.

In the context of what they were designed for and the claims that Acura made for them, they have all been excellent vehicles. Not a single problem with the RSX, the 'harmonic disturbance' issue with the TL solved at 12,000 ks by new wheels and tires under full warranty, and absolutely nothing with the MDX so far.

And of all of them, the MDX is by far and away the best. It is a brilliant combination of all that was good about the TL (handling, quality interior, great seats, good performance) with the extra utility of an SUV (space, flexibility, 4 wheel drive). Indeed, the handling of the MDX at times surpasses that of the TL.

My only complaints are minor - XM (not nearly as good as Sirius), no visible compass, outside temp not prominent and constant, can't lock the vehicle while the power liftgate is closing and can't open it without unlocking the entire vehicle, and to be truly competitive, it needs more low end torque and a sixth cog. But it averages 10 litres/100 ks on the highway and has the nicest driving position I've experienced other than an Alfa 166.

And the lack of activity on this site is probably the best confirmation of my positive feelings about the MDX.
  • gwsatgwsat Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2007 MDX with the navigation system about 10 days ago and I really like it so far. I have read about the problems others have had with noise emanating from the rear end and hope I am not beset with that.

I bought a 2007 instead of one of the new 2008s because it was several thousand dollars cheaper, had a brother-in-law below market rate financing plan available, and, best of all, seems to be identical to the 2008 MDXs.

I had a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL, which I traded in on the MDX. It was, hands down, the best car I have ever owned, far superior to its predecessor, a 1992 Lexis ES 300. As happened to a lot of people with the early 3.2 TLs, my TL's transmission gave up the ghost after three-and-a-half years. Acura fixed it, though, and gave me a substitute car, a new Cadillac, to drive while it was being repaired. I never had another minutes trouble with it.

As others have noted, the gas mileage on the MDX is underwhelming, about 15 in town and not quite 20 on the road. I can live with that, though, and I suspect that it will improve as I put more miles on the car. I love the MDX's luxury, the way it handles, and its many, many advanced technical features.

I was a little surprised to learn that some of you have been disappointed with your MDX’s fit and finish. I haven’t found a single defect on my MDX so far and my old TL’s fit and finish were equally outstanding. I can only hope that my luck holds.
  • tursiopstursiops Member Posts: 8
    RobinsRadar.... I have an 07 MDX and I have the same problem on my MDX.... the hood vibrates by about 1-2 inches and the dealer said there was nothing they could do because the hood is made of aluminum.... there are rubber grommets under the hood that are supposed to help but they dont and the thing still vibrates like crazy..... makes me think the hood is going to come up while I am driving... Good luck...
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    At what speed do you notice this vibration? Recently went on an extended trip and had cruise set at 80mph. No vibration. Is there a TSB issued for this problem? Also do you have any of the aftermarket accessories (wind deflector,etc.)
  • krspokrspo Member Posts: 6
    Is the forward tilt of the headrest on the 2007 MDX driving anyone else crazy? Just picked up my 07 Sport/Ent 5 days ago, love it except for the headrests. Can I replace with a different year model headrest? I cannot sit up straight without having my head pushed forward!
    I haven't noticed the tilt as even being annoying on our '07 Sport-Ent. You may try tilting the seat back slightly to counteract. Not finer gripping & feeling SUV out there...SH-AWD works well so you may need those headrests in the twisties.
  • gwsatgwsat Member Posts: 2
    I returned from a trip to Atlanta earlier this week and was gratified by my 2007 MDX’s performance and handling. I drove nearly 2000 miles and had overall fuel mileage of 22.4, which I thought was just fine.

I have observed no fit or finish problems with my MDX. It is luxurious and the most comfortable car to drive, as well as one of the best handling, I have ever owned. Based on about 5000 miles of driving (including two long trips) over the course of the first two-and-a-half months I have owned it, my MDX has been the equal in owner satisfaction of my 2000 3.2 TL, which was high indeed. I could not be happier.
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    I'm talking with a distant dealer about an '07 with Bordeaux interior. Unfortunately I haven't seen the color and my local dealers don't have it so I can't check it out. Does anyone have it or has anyone seen it that can offer opinions? If so, how would you describe the color?
  • 88778877 Member Posts: 5
    I just came back from a Florida drive. Almost 8200 km . The 2007 MDX is beautiful SUV. It glides on the road. Very comfortable and no bad in gas either.
    (10.8 ltr per 100kms). At the moment the odometer is 32567 kms and with no problems at all. I like it very much so far. (I used to own 2001 and 2004 MDXs with
    no mechanical problems) Thanks
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Has Florida switched over to the metric system?
    Well, the jury's in....the '07 doesn't handle nearly as well in the snow as the '04. Thanks to the crappy weather here in the northeast, I had time to do an extensive comparison (well, just drove around a lot). Probably due in large part to the tires. Even with SH-AWD, which I could feel was trying very hard, it slipped and slided more than the '04. On the upside, turn off the '07s VSA and you can get all 4 wheels to spray snow every which way! Still, I was unable to get myself stuck on my hill, even when coming to a dead stop in the middle of it. How did everyone else's '07-'08 MDX do in the snow?
    Bourdeaux? Think Willy Wonka Chocolate Bar Explosion! It's not wine, hardly any red at all, not even burgundy by a stretch. Has a luxurious look that sucks up light, they should have called it Hershey's. I've also heard it called Boar-dough like a Pillsbury pig wallowed in dark mud throughout your car. I liked it initially but got the munchies just sitting inside. Any spills will hide easily. You have to see it for yourself somehow as it's not a mainstream or easily describable flavor interior. We opted for tan aka Creme-Boule' on a white pearl wrapper. Get what thrills you after hands on, not the flavor of the month that is available untasted.
  • curiousmdxcuriousmdx Member Posts: 15
    I would like to know what you all are doing about having retractable window shades for your MDX. Obviously, we don't the cheap ones. I really feel bad for my kid when all the sun falls on him when I drive.

Please advise. THanks.
    Picked up a retractable window shade at babies r us . Works just fine. Does that help?
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    2.92 gallons
    62.5 miles
    21.4 mph
    Mt Airy (Md?) said,
    2.92 gallons
    62.5 miles
    21.4 mph

Not sure what you and/or Tony are looking for as feedback from a Floridian. Best I can do is translate it iinto Snowbird-speak. FL hasn't switched to the metric system, it just seems that way with all the Canadian tourists this time of year. You got 17.878 MPG or:

11.0534025 liters
    100.58400 kilometers
    34.4399616 kph
    9.09982243 KPL
    .109892254 LPK

We-uns is fixin' ta be wishin' y'all a happy holiday season, eh?
  • ghbmdghbmd Member Posts: 2
    I agree with the above sentiments. Just had our first two snowstorms and could not believe how poorly my '07 MDX handled. I too think it is the 18" "All Season Performance Tires"- too sporty for the snow. Just purchased a set of rims and 18" snow tires from TireRack.com and looking forward to the change.
    Do you mind me asking how much that ran you? I imagine it's going to be expensive.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    11.0534025 liters

You realize, of course, that seven decimal places gets you down to a resolution of less than a microliter - or about 1/20th of a drop? :)

In any case, thanks for the holiday wishes and the same to you!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've cleaned up my act - now I only calculate my mpg out to two decimal places. :shades:

Check out Acura MDX MPG Real World Numbers too.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Way to go, Steve! Maybe I should do a Guide on signficant figures. ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Did a search, but could not find out whether the heated front seats are bottom only or do the seatbacks heat also. Help!
  • turfernoturferno Member Posts: 3
    On the 2008, Driver Seat and outer second row seats heat both back and bottom. Front Passenger bottom only. Because of the sensors for the side airbag cutoff system,there is no heater in the passenger’s seat-back. I am sure 07s are the same.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    I appreciate the info. Now its time to read the whole thread and pickup as much as I can. We are looking at the MDX and the 4Runner as our retirement travel vehicle when I retire this year.
  • vivitar54vivitar54 Member Posts: 2
    Are the red lights on the trunk reflective only or are they break or night lights?
  • resilientresilient Member Posts: 8
    Okay folks, I'm considering buying an MDX '07 Cert Pre-owned.

What do I need to know about any problems this particular year may have? I plan to get one with very low mileage (no more than 20K).

:shades:
  • ghbmdghbmd Member Posts: 2
    I have had mine for more than 2 years (got it Dec 2006) and it is great. Not one problem. Nothing more than routine maintenance. Great Car.
  • hewittphewittp Member Posts: 14
    I would like to seek your advice. There's a private party selling the Acura MDX 2007 Sport and Entertainment with 27K miles on it for $32.5K. Is this a good deal? Also, is there a big difference between 2007 and 2009 models? Any replies is appreciated.
    Let me put it this way: I was one of the first owners of an 07 MDX (October 14, 06 ~ Sport w/ Entertainment) and I have exactly 27K miles on mine and the payoff figure on my lease is at $35K. The Kelly Blue Book puts it at between 32-34K, depending on condition.

I've never had any problem with mine and am still enjoying it!
    Damn! I thought i was the first, bought ours Nov. 20 '06 (sport,ent) paid sticker, now has 26K. Have replaced the tires with Bridgestones. Only problem was wind noise on drivers side which they corrected under warranty.
    Sorry, Pal ~ I got mine three days before the official debut ;)!

BTW, what kind of wind noise did you have on the driver's side?
    Sounded like the window was open a crack, they replaced the whole window moulding and the noise disappeared.
  • austinsfsaustinsfs Member Posts: 9
    I recently started my search for a pre-owned 2007 MDX, and one of the cars I looked at (at Carmax) had everything imaginable on it -- entertainment, tow package, running boards, full roof rack, etc. Except for the mileage (60K) and convincing my husband, I would have snapped it up. Kind of wish I had, actually -- though hubby wants us to find one with lower miles (which would be nice provide has all aforementioned bells and whistles).

When I asked the dealer about an iPod jack (which seems to me to be an obvious thing to include in any car at this level), he showed me a jack/charger in the glove box. He indicated that it was "integrated with the navigation system" so that the nav knob would become the iPod switch, and that I could simply leave my iPod charging in the glove box, and manage my music using the nav knob.

As I only had my (non-compatible) iPhone with me, I wasn't able to test this myself.

Does anyone know if this might have been true? The very idea of an integrated iPhone screen via nav, and a jack that also charges the iPod while it plays....for amazing sound quality from my iPod...well, it nearly sounds too good to be true. If this a MFG product/upgrade, an after-market upgrade, or something that doesn't exist?

Please advise. Looks like leased Acura MDXs from 2007 should be hitting the market in October (when the first ones were leased)...I, for one, can't wait.
  • spellbound1spellbound1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a pre-owned 2007 MDX, Tech w/24,000 miles. I have having fits with the reception on the FM tuner. Many of the stations that I received just fine on my '04 MDX, do not come in clearly on this one. Is there something I can do that doesn't require a new stereo or giving up listening to FM stations?
    On a related note, anyone have any new advice on how to hook up an iPod to play?
    Thanks!
  • jenntljenntl Member Posts: 33
    Curious if anyone has an inkling of what 07's will start going for as they start coming back from leases. My husband is looking at an 06 but we'd love the newer stylings but the price difference is pretty significant. thanks!
This discussion has been closed.