Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Wouldn't now be a good time to change the forum title to "2007"? Thanks.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Overall I like the MDX design, its a big improvement over the prior models. The reclining second row seats and the instrument lay out are big pluses with me.

My big concern with the SUV is the performance/sport nature being pushed by Acura. This can be seen in the advertising and the available option packages. I just hope that the road noise is low. This drove me away from the BMW X5.

As for the current option packages being advertised on the Acura website, I like the tech package. It has many features I'm looking for. I don't care for the sport package. Odd how they included upgraded seating with this package. Appeared to be main selling point. The Rear Entertainment System (RES) package is a maybe with me. It has the power lift gate feature included with the RES.

If the price of the SUV comes in under 50K with the tech and res packages, I'll most likely will purchase. If its above that will weigh other options (Q7, A4 advent, Lexus models, XC 90)
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    I really like the new MDX and I do like the RDX as well, we're SUV shopping for our growing family and I'd like to test drive the new MDX, my other half was never impressed with the 05/06 models but the 07 looks hot
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With lead times being what they are, I don't think Acura could have copied Audi. This is just another case of parallel development.

Agreed.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    This vehicle is supposed to be getting a "first drive" on MotorWeek beginning September 15th.
  • tncarbufftncarbuff Member Posts: 10
    Check out http://tinyurl.com/zsx3a (it expands to usa today, but is a very long link). James Healey, their auto critic, realy likes the new MDX, with a view caveats. Heading is "MDX puts premium on smooth handling", which I don't htink really represents the tone of the article. Makes it sound like it's turned into a Buick! But the subtitle is "Acura SUV blows away some rivals".

He tested a sport model, and didn't have exact $$$ info.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Pricing is rumored to be in the 41-18K range. But, honestly, that seems a wee bit low to me.

The main selling point with the sport package is the magnetic adaptive suspension. I suspect the upgraded leather is included as it may be "grippier" than the standard stuff, but that remains to be seen.
  • bumbiebumbie Member Posts: 18
    Do not get an A6, I have had SO many problems in my 2005 A6 starting around 10K. UNIMAGINABLE starter/ignition problems, noise/rattle problems and general electrical problems that are still not resolved. I am waiting to see the 2007 MDX in person and then either trading in for the MDX or a Lexus.

I may be bitter toward Audi, but I have very good reason after 3 1/2 months of screwing around with this lemon car I have. We actually are looking into perusing the lemon law (we can at this point), but I think it will take too much time and energy, which I do not have at this point. I know it is giving up the fight with Audi by just trading the car in, but I cannot take it anymore.
    This is addressed to the folks who are reviewing the 2007 MDX, Inside Line at Edmonds included. Please stop talking about driving this car/SUV on a track at 100 mph and how well it enters and exits corners. What about NORMAL driving conditions? Are the MR dampers really an improvement for everyday driving? I have yet to see a review address rear visability, upgraded seating vs standard, electronic controls, and instrumentation layout.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    Agree fully. If I get one, it won't be used on the track. Don't review it as a sports car. Comfort, utility - that's what I'm wondering about.
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I just saw an article in Automotive News that the 2007 MDX will reach showrooms on 9/28. Prices thought to be $41,000 to $48,000.
    I, too, have been looking for a car-like suv, and it seems I'm in the crossover division as the media now calls it. Apparently a segment of car/suv's that is selling very well, as the big suvs are not.
    The MB GL looks wonderful, except for the price. I haven't driven a Q7 yet, but that seems pricey as well. The lexus RX is too small and the GX and LX are trucks. The Ford Edge is coming out soon, but not sure if I'm brave enough for a Ford!
    Too many choices or not enough choices?
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    has anyone heard acura making a larger mdx called the mdx-x?...when is this supposed to come out?
    Yes - read the note posted before yours...
    Great links. Thanks.

All you could ever want to know about the MDX except at 6'2" will I have enough legroom in the driver's seat?

Also, in a "luxury" vehicle, wouldn't it have been nice if Acura provided power lumbar support for the front passenger?

And why no power liftgate available except with the entertainment package? This should be available across the board, IMO.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I think the first year packages might be in place to maximize their profit, hence the lack of separate packages. I'd expect all these options to be separate in the next model year. I'd also expect a power lumbar support to be available in the next model year.

Hate it when they package everything up for redesigns: I was looking at the new Passat wagon which has been redesigned, and options that were available in the older wagon were now either part of a very expensive package, or not available at all. But the second year model will have many of these options available separately or in less expensive packages. So first year buyers pay more for things they don't want/need.

Over $50k for a MDX will be hard to swallow. I don't think quality differences between, say, a loaded Highlander (or Pilot) that sells in the mid 30's are high enough to justify this $15k premium. But it is a nice looking CUV!
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    I've been reading a lot about the MDX (specifically the link mentioned in remark #311), but couldn't find anywhere the mentioning of heated windshield wipers. Personally, I think they're a fabulous idea. We've all been driving on one of those days where the ice just keeps on forming on the wipers and streaking across the windshield.. There are a bunch of MUCH CHEAPER cars that do have them and I would think for the money they will be asking for the MDX, that at least it should have them.. Has anyone seen that as included in the MDX......have I overlooked it, or just not there????/
    I'm also looking for my first SUV. I have driven two of the SUV's that you mentioned (Q7 and MB GL). In the 60K range (Q7 4.2, MB GL, BMW X5), the Audi Q7 4.2 I thought was the far superior SUV. But for my use it was to large to drive around town everyday.

That narrowed my search to Volvo XC 90 V8, Lexus RX, and the MDX. These were picked because I had to have a fold flat third row seat and a medium size cargo area. As it stands right now the Lexus and the MDX are the leading canidates. Signed up for a test drive (September/October) of the MDX at the local dealership this weekend.

Other SUV's coming next year are the Audi Q5, Ford Edge/MKX, and the buick enclave. If the MDX is priced in the low 50's might wait to look at these other SUV's.

Already don't like MDX option packages!
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Conclusion of the MDX review:

Nice package; might be best of the premium SUV lot

link title
    This link was already posted (#319).
    I really wish I could decide myself! If I keep waiting, surely someone will make what I want for the price I want to pay - right! I have a friend with the Volvo - he is unhappy with the V6, and will get a V8 next time- he does like the car otherwise. I also need the folding seats, and a bench seat in the middle. Frankly, I don't care about any seats in the far back. I want to carry dogs and stuff - not people! The 3-zone climate control is also important. Why is that extra on so many suvs - if you put seats in for people, don't you think they want airconditioning? I even looked at the MB R-class, but I don't like bucket seats, and my is it ugly. However, they can't get rid of them, so the pricing was inviting. Buying something that has been proven is prudent, but all the new stuff is more interesting than the old stuff. Lexus/Toyota is so far behind in updating the styles. I'm rambling now, but I'm a libra and we can never decide!
    p.s. I just rec'd a teaser brochure from Acura about the new MD-X. It showed next to nothing. A couple of pictures of the headlights and the taillights and the overall outside of the vehicle. The letter said something to the effect that "wait til the real brochure" comes out!
    The article in the Automotive News last sentence did say: The skinny: The 2007 MDX comes to the table with good looks, lots of power and safety...
    See post #311.

Everything you want to know about the new MDX with great high resolution photos.
    Yea, I forgot to mention that I have also driven the XC 90. Actually, I currently own a S80 T6 Volvo which has been a worry free for 70K miles. Only problem with the XC 90 was that the interior was identical to my S80. Would like a bit of a change after four years. The V8 is a very good engine.

The MDX looks very impressive from photos. I also received the brochure. Went to the local dealership this weekend but they would not give out any additional information.
  • tncarbufftncarbuff Member Posts: 10
    When a vehicle like the MDX has had some history, albeit in an older generation, will the initial lease calculations on this rejuvenated version still be screwy? You read about vehicles like the RDX and people will comment that leasing is VERY unattractive, because there is no history, no knowledge of depreciation or residuals, etc.

What do folks think will happen here with the new MDX? Midlife, it had some very attractive lease options, and wonder how long it will take to see them again, once the early demand gets filled and some vehicles start sitting on the lot awhile.

Thanks in advance.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    On the Acura website it says; "The sports package has authentic metallic surfaces that contrast handsomely with the organic texture of rich wood" I notice they didn't say faux or real before the word wood. Is this a little misleading or does it mean its real? Also, it appears the '07 has daytime running lights, can anyone confirm?
    Good point about the wood...all indications are that the wood is fake. Acura web site (spec/safety) lists Daytime Running Lights. Also, has automatic on/off light feature.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Maybe if enough people complain about the front grille they will offer a "grille option". A few truck/SUV brands have this including the Honda Ridgeline.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    does current MDX take premium or regular gas? :confuse:
    if volkswagen throws third row into Touareg then they have worthy competitor. Will they???
    Ran across a lengthy review of the 2007 MDX at www.autobytle.com

Article was positive...but did say steering needed refinement at low speeds. However, ended article by saying should test drive if looking in the 40K-60K price range.
    This link was already posted (#319).

Oops that always happens to me when I link something in a forum that I have never visited before. I seem to never learn my lesson :surprise:

Now HP I hope you dont mind me asking but what the hell are you doing in this forum? I never knew you were a SUV/Crossover follower?
    Heh! Heh! Good to see you here, Dewey!
    If you look back, you will see at least one other poster you will recognize.

I must admit I am intrigued by the new MDX press and photos.

My wife and I may be hitting the road a bit more now that we are retired and the new MDX could just fit the bill-enough driveability to keep me happy with plenty of room for my road bike.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Hpowders, Dewey,

I am glad to see a couple of Germancarfans from the HELM forum take an interest in anything from Japan!
    Shhh! Not so loud! ;)

Yes. This is one that has piqued my interest.

I am looking forward to driving one this fall.

I especially like the real traffic updates through the nav.

This should now be the premium mid-sized SUV to be reckoned with.
    I am glad to see a couple of Germancarfans from the HELM forum take an interest in anything from Japan!

Please dont mix me up with the MDX natives in this forum. I am here as an accidental tourist. I accidentally pressed my mouse a few times and somehow I found myself here. :D
    I may be pushing myself to say this, but the car looks great!!! Audi Q7 is about to lose sales. Now i'm waiting to see pilot . i still don't know if current MDX takes premium fuel or not.
    Per Acura website (General Spec), premium (91) gasoline. Audi Q7 is a much bigger/expensive SUV; I don't think sales will suffer because of upcoming MDX.
    I read the very lengthy info posted in message 311. Tell ya what. I'm a little concerned that when one these very high tech systems in and throughout the new MDX becomes faulty, that the service techs might be a little bit in the dark as to diagnosing and correcting some of these issues. Here's a brand new car with just about brand new technology. Do you think all the mechanics are up to being capable to diagnose the inevitable problems..Maybe they go to an upgrade type of class from Acura. Do they all pass with flying colors. There is some pretty complicated technology in the trans, suspension, VSA, damper control, SH-AWD, etc,etc,etc...Hmmmmmmmmmm
    well, sales probably won't really suffer, but i think the q7 and mdx are key competitors because of basic vehicle establishment. Both sports suv's. both seat seven(comfortably?). Now MDX is a little closer in size to audi. if i was buying one, I'd consider the other.
    The 2007 MDX has more option packages than any other Acura they've sold in recent years. Acura is known for not offering packages. So, I doubt very much they'll be offering content a la carte.

I'm certain we'll be seeing minor changes to the packages over the years, but those changes will certainly be minor.
    That's going to be true of any luxury vehicle.

Really, the only thing that's completely new is the MR suspension. The SH-AWD system is a upgraded variant of the VTM-4 system that has been in the MDX since 2001. The transmission appears to be a lightly modified version of the current transmission. VSA has been around for at least a decade. The engine is actually less complex than the 4 cyl powerplant used in the Acura TSX and has far fewer parts to worry about than the turbo engines in many other vehicles.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I guess I didn't mean they would be indidual options, but in a separate or less expensive package. I think it will all depend on sales: if sales are strong, packages might not vary all that much for the first couple of years. If sales are lower than expected, then expect existing packages to be broken up into smaller/different packages within the second model year to draw in more buyers.

As an example, the RDX has a 10-way power seat for the driver, but not for the passenger. People seem to think that will change next year or so to draw in more buyers who really, really want power seats everywhere...! It was an odd detail to omit, seeing as Acura is trying to go premium.

But the RDX does offer power lumbar support...are we sure the MDX does not?
    I think who is going to suffer a sales decline with the release of the MDX is the MB M series and/or Infin FX. I considered the Q7 a few months ago but found it a bit large and heavy for everyday driving. Interior and instrumentation layout was great. It is definitely not a sport SUV at 5500 lbs and 200 inches long; no matter how the Audi marketing people advertise it.

I would put the MDX competition as: BMW X5, Porch. Cheyn., MB M series, Infin. FX, and possibly Lexus RX.
    What about MR Dampers being manufactured by a company in bankruptcy (Delphi).
    Well, this is pretty scary. What happens when there is a problem with the damper system if the company that makes them is no longer in business. The way I "slightly" understood this, is that this "Magneto-Rheological damper system is incorporated in the "semi active" shock absorbers. So, if it is "in" the shock.....hmmmm...replacing that shock may be difficult to do and indeed outrageously expensive if at all possible. Is it actually in the shock absorber or something attached to it or the computer program. Whattaya think robinsradar?
    Did anyone read (from the link at message 311) the part where it says "ONE TOUCH STARTER SYSTEM"..It says the starter stays engaged until the engine starts-- even if the driver releases the ignition switch..Well how's this scenario----your car is having some kind of fuel problem issue or electrical or timing or computer issue problem and doesn't want to start. Well now, according to the way I understand this "ONE TOUCH STARTER SYSTEM", the starter will just keep cranking and cranking and cranking. Certainly this will run down the battery and I'm sure not great for the starter as well. Whattaya think people?
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    I think your hypothetical situations are getting ridiculous. Honda's a pretty thorough company and have probably thought through 10,000 times any "problem" you could come up with.
  • phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    My thoughts exactly. Why does it seem that things can quickly get blown out of proportion on the web?
    I read about the MR dampers in a Honda website forum (vtec?). Being old and having a bad memory, this is the best of what I remember from the site: the company made two kinds of MR dampers (adjustable shocks) one used air and the other used a fluid. GM uses the air type on the cadillac SRX and a few other GM cars. Acura apparently is using the fluid type. The SRX uses a sensor to adjust the damper, whereas, the MDX is apparently only going to have two settings (sport and comfort). I sure the MDX will have some sort of computer control how much I don't know.

As for maintenance, I guess the fluid will have to be replaced every so often or replace the whole damper?

Actually why I'm interested in this, is that I'm questioning how useful the dampers are in everyday driving and the extra expense of the sport option package. I would possibly like the upgraded leather seating and auto-leveling lights, but I'm not so sure about the usefulness of the MR dampers. Have to wait for test drive...

You're other question about the auto start feature is addressed I believe in the RL reviews.
This discussion has been closed.