Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    I love this car! I love the new-modern design! i am definitely buying this one. i can't believe the new changes- power and torque increases, towing capacity, addition of sh-awd, heated rear seats!, nice ergonomics and the list just goes on! definitely buying this because it rivals the new x5 but you don't have to pay the price of the x5!
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    Yes, that's right. I got a brochure on the weekend (it's probably worth $20) and it's clear - the entertainment package only comes with the Tech or Tech/Sport packages.
    And although this is a 'subjective' observation, the Lexus (like all Toyota products) is not a good looking vehicle - ends that look they were designed by different 'committees', exhaust systems that look they were tacked on as an afterthought (check out last generation Camrys/Lexus ES's) - UGH. Performance and specifications notwithstanding, the Lexus look like .... and the MDX looks WOW!
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I'd like to think that someone from Acura reads these forums. With that in mind - Acura needs to separate the power liftgate from the entertainment package. That is very shortsighted. I have no interest in the DVD, but I would love to have the power liftgate. They have nothing to do with each other. I am sure I'm not the only one with this feeling. Are you reading/listening Acura? There's still time to change!
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    It's subjective, but the more I look at pics of the new MDX, the uglier it gets. Love the rear & profile, but the sharp angles of the front put it in Escaladeland. Yuck. And two choices in the interior are failures as well - the already-looking-dated steering wheel, and the 60's style tunnels you have to look down to see your speedo/tach. Ugly! Compared pics side-by-side with the Q7. Q7 much prettier, more elegant.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=605423
    vs
    http://www.forbesautos.com/gallery/2007/audi/q7/
  • pinkmelrosepinkmelrose Member Posts: 26
    The looking of audi Q7 is quite elegant, but it does have over 5000 weight, low horse power, not reliable records since they built any audi vehicles. If they are reliable as acura or even BMW, I would buy. They should have 7 or 10 years of warranty plans to compete with other luxury brands.
  • hondaman1hondaman1 Member Posts: 6
    A note to "Upstate Doc", the Acura MDX is Not "Goint To Be Built in Canada," production on the Acura MDX has always been in Canada. The Acura RL is ONLY made in Japan, there is no "Mostly" involved.

I an Acura/Honda loyalist, but I must say that the new design is a bit on the ugly side. I was anxiously awaiting the new MDX, but I will wait until they change this new body style. It is way too boxy for a 2007 model (just like the new Cadillac theme). Also, a lot of manufacturers are going with the sloped roof design, it just looks ridiculous. The Acura MDX and the new Honda CR-V also has the sloping roof design and it just looks odd. The interior of the MDX is well done though.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Here's some interesting information about radar detectors and the new tech stuff being put into cars/SUV's.

link title
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'm with you on the tunnel-style binnacles.

Not so much on the steering wheels. The 4 spoke in the Audi looks like the one from my family's old Volare wagon. I also see a 3 spoke design in those pics, but it's not very different. Either way, there's nothing pretty or even interesting about it.

And, frankly, the center stack on the Audi is dominated by two air vents. It looks utilitarian to the point of reminding me of a pick-up truck. The MDX is a little busy, but far more upscale in terms of what is placed where.

No doubt, the Audi is a good-looking vehicle. But the things I like about it appear to be very different than your favorites.
    I personnaly like busy interriors because I like to see my wife's face got confuses. I wish they have thousand crome-materials-unusual-buttons combines glowing blue and red lights. That way, I feel like I am riding UFO. :P
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    all I have to do is compare the Q7 prices to the MDX.
    Much better value with the MDX.
    Combine that with the horror stories of Q7 owners and I will sleep very well choosing the new MDX.

My only concern is the lousy way Acura has combined the packages.
    Why can't I order sport without any other package or a power lift gate without the rear entertainment package?
    Who the heck do they have over there making these dumb decisions?
    "Why can't I order sport without any other package or a power lift gate without the rear entertainment package?"

Because offering a long list of options complicates the manufacturing process.

Complicating the manufacturing process adds cost.

Adding costs to production means passing costs to the customer.

Added costs for the customer means the MDX is no longer a "much better value".

On top of that, a less complicated assembly process means fewer assembly errors. Which means fewer horror stories.
    I agree with that. Less option assembles bring less prices.
    In addition, I prefer to have less options deals when I met car dealers.
    The reason why I prefer this deal, I have met some of dealers are playing with prices when vehicles have many options.

In other hand, I do understand some opinions are complain that lift gate option is attaching with ent packege. Can't they attch this on other packages? :shades:
  • brizeybrizey Member Posts: 48
    I think they thought that the power liftgate/entertainment would be mostly selected by families with children. Power liftgate for my my 5'-2" wife to put the stroller in the back and DVD to entertain the kiddo.

I am considering this for my next vehicle and both these items are of interest to me.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Put a $500 deposit down on an '07 w/ all the trimmings today. My dealers Oct. allotment was already spoken for and the Nov. list was going fast. At least thats what he told me.... he showed me the list. Very few of my dealers vehicles had all the options. Just an observation. He basically said that they would be asking MSRP for the first few allotments. He also mentioned that he heard other dealers would be asking MSRP+. So I guess I'm supposed to think I'll be getting a great deal. Also said that the first vehicles will be on the lot Oct. 17th.... that sound about right? They will have a demo to test drive on this date as well.
    I am thinking to buy this on next Feb or Jan/2007. Not sure still require to have a deposit. The dealer on OC in California never mentioned about deposit, my guess is major citie's dealers are rnoughly have in stocks. I will just stay for while when MDX gets stable conditioned, better not to purchase first model comeout.

Here is my lists on buying a 7 passenger luxury SUV on next year,

1st MDX-Acura-most valuble so far I found.OCt 15-17 will show.

2nd JFX(?)-Lexus I've looked some concept pics by internet.
    not attractive on exterior, but lexus does have reliablity than acura? should appear in next spring.

3rd X5-BMW-Not reliable as others, but it does have cool features like head up display, some convenient interior options. will lease if I like it. December is the date of showing up.

5th veracruz-Hyundai, not sure about engine, but it debuts in this year. Probably most valuble prices of those.

4th Audi Q7-not reliable, at all.
    The October 17th date was also given to me by a large dealership in Atlanta. I also put down a $500 deposit about two weeks ago. The list at that time was half full for October. Was quoted MSRP.

The problem I had was that first selection (Sport/blue/beige) was not on the list for October supply. Have sinking feeling that certain color and package options will be hard to find if the majority of dealerships have waiting lists.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Two things kept my wife and I from buying an MDX in 2001: the obnoxious dealers insisting on full price plus add-ons, take it or leave it, and the plastic below the glove box cutting into her long legs, with inadequate seat adjustment range. Instead, we ordered a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer V8 which was delivered in September of 2001.

The MDX is certainly worth a long hard look, but there are plenty of alternatives. For me, the main alternatives are the Ford Edge and its platform-mate, the Mazda CX-9. The Mazda CX-9 has more space than the Edge, since it has a 3rd row, and more fancy features, such as rain-sensing wipers. The other platform-mate of those two is the Lincoln MKX, which offers cooled :D and heated front seats, but my wife and I much prefer the interior and exterior of the Ford or Mazda versions.

The MDX with the Sport&Technology option may well be nice enought to justify the $12,000 more it would cost me than an AWD Edge SEL Plus with a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 based sound and navigation system (with Nav-Traffic), the Lincoln MKX dimming exterior mirror, and a aftermarket dimming interior mirror with Homelink.

Even if the MDX seems superior, I will drop it like a hot rock if the Acura dealers are as obnoxious as they were in 2001.

Curiously given the price difference, the Edge will almost surely be somewhat quicker than the MDX - look at the gear ratios, weight, and power:

Edge AWD SEL Plus
    4,282 pounds
    265 HP / 250 Ft.-Lbs., 6-speed automatic
    overall 1st gear 14.3
    overall 2nd gear 9.1
    overall 3rd gear 5.8
    overall 4th gear 4.5
    overall 5th gear 3.2
    overall 6th gear 2.3

Acura MDX Sport & Tech.
    4,551 Pounds
    300 HP, 275 Ft. Lbs., 5-speed automatic
    overall 1st gear 12.2
    overall 2nd gear 7.3
    overall 3rd gear 4.8
    overall 4th gear 3.5
    overall 5th gear 2.4
    overall 6th gear ---

I wonder why Honda / Acura did not install a six-speed transmission in this new model?
    "I wonder why Honda / Acura did not install a six-speed transmission in this new model?"

They don't have one.

Instead the budget went into developing the J37 engine, the sport-suspension system, and the integration of the VSA and SH-AWD.
    As a side note, I did a price comparison with similar options between the Acura MDX and the Lincoln MKX. The Lincoln came in slightly below the MDX. I believe the amount was approximately $500.

I don't see the Ford Edge as a comparable SUV to the MDX. The two SUV's are not in the same class (interior/suspension). The Ford Edge would be more likely compared to the Honda Pilot.

As a side note do you think the Lincoln MKX is worth $12,00 more than the Ford Edge?
    Is the Mazda CX-9 a new model? It doesn't show on their website and I've not read about it in the auto mags?
    As there seems to be a study for everything. Does someone know where I can find information on the correlation of the exterior paint color to the inside temperature for a car/suv? Does it make that much difference to have a white vehicle with light insides, or is black and black not that far off?
    I put a deposit down on a Nimbus gray mettalic with taupe. I'm hoping the 3-zone climate control can handle any color.
    I was told by a good friend years ago to always buy black or white because it was easier to match the paint. I would hope in this day and age, matching paint is easier to do.
    Here's a couple of websites addressing the color issue:

link title

link title
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    They do suck at this- but from another point, I have to give it to acura for simplifying some options. Seriosly, you can drop over ten grand worth of options into an expedition. whereas w/ MDX only options you can get is dealer instlled (like fender flares!). Er'thang else- standard.
    3rd X5-BMW-Not reliable as others, but it does have cool features like head up display, some convenient interior options. will lease if I like it. December is the date of showing up.

5th veracruz-Hyundai, not sure about engine, but it debuts in this year. Probably most valuble prices of those.
    how does hyundai show up on same list as a BMW???
    The people here defending the options packages, I'm sure through no coincidence, are those people who are ordering all this stuff anyway. For them Acura's policy is indeed, economical.

I want the basic vehicle with the sport package and power liftgate. Can't get either without spending more money on stuff I don't want. Don't need nav or rear entertainment.

The option packages could have been made a little less "all-inclusive." Anybody should be able to order the sport package.
    Thanks for the paint links.

Acura did us all a disservice by packaging the options as they did. The sport package should stand alone. The power liftgate should be a separate option. DVD separate. It just seems to obvious. Not everyone has kids and needs the DVD, however, everyone has only 2 arms and would like that 3rd arm in the power liftgate. Why can't they see that?
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    The CX-9 is officially a new model. Before, it was a concept. Its due in early 2007. Edmunds has a test of it if you need info. Just type "cx-9" in that search box when you get to insideline. Or you can just click here.

I ♥ the new MDX. Its just to $$$ for us budgeted folks! Oh well another one bites the dust...

Hondas next 6 developments should be:
    1. The next accord
    2. A 6 speed auto(automanuals)
    3. A USA legal diesel engine
    4. 4cyl hybrid technology
    5. A V8
    6. Redevolping ATTS

I hope I'm right!
    -Cj :)
    "The CX-9 is officially a new model. Before, it was a concept. Its due in early 2007."

I believe my local dealer has several on the lot. Took a brief look at one (no test drive) didn't think it was in the RDX's or the MDX's league if you ask me.
    Like I said, the only folks not complaining about the packages are the people ordering the MDX fuly "loaded."

It's just me, the wife and my roadbike. No kids. Would have liked the sport package. Maybe next time.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    It's just me, the wife and my roadbike. No kids. Would have liked the sport package. Maybe next time.

No Howard not next time and not any time is Acuras going to offer a seperate sport package for the MDX. Your request is being heard by hearing impaired ears.

Based on reading some posts here most MDX followers here are more concerned with techno-gizmos and interior space. Sport is not the be all and end all for MDX buyers and Honda knows that. So they're going to squeeze as much $$$ as they can out of every technophile MDX buyer that they can get their greedy hands on. And ofcourse they are going to make sure the few and very few sport enthusiasts buying a MDX will have to pay up their noses for unneccesary gizmos in order to get the firm sport suspension they want.

A seperate sport package is just not going to cut it here. A seperate sport package may be very marketable for BMWs but not for Acuras. The customer priorities of an Acura MDX buyer and BMW X5 buyer are like night and day.

Apparently gizmos and more electronic gizmos is what attracts Acura buyers and performance, handling and even more stiff handling is what attracts BMW buyers.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    You might be getting confused with the CX-7; the CX-9 has yet to be released. In fact, even Edmunds mentioned they had a pre-production model to test.

However if your dealer does indeed have CX-9s on the lot, you should snap some pics and post them! People are wondering how the production model will look inside and out.

The CX-9 will supposedly have all the same gadgets as the MDX, but I suspect that interior quality will likely be a bit lower, but who knows. It might be closer in "league" than you think!
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    of agree with Dewey here. Tech gizmos [nav and such] is what
    Acura does best, IMO they ARE the best at nav and electronics, so they are going to attract that crowd. BMW on the other hand does what it does with driving dynamics so there "greedy hands" will be in on that.
    I can't wait to see a head to head comparo but I can almost guarantee the outcome. The BMW will win with the journalists due to superior driving dynamics. The MDX will come in a close second on price, ergonomics, technology, and value, especially since the Acura will be going for about 3 grand off sticker in 6 months to a year.
    All that to say, I'm glad that Acura has taken a serious attitude towards performance, and handling :shades:
    Unfortunately, I have to agree, Dewey.
    I never liked the concept of packaged options. In many cases, you will be paying for stuff you don't need.
    Hard to believe one can't order the sport package and power lift gate separately.

Since I have to wait a year and a half anyway, with the great deal I should be able to negotiate at that time (3k-5k off MSRP), the cost of the technology/sport package will sort of pay for itself compared to what these folks here will be paying this month.
    Oops, my bad. Those are the 7's on the lot. Regardless, Mazda has nothing on Acura that I could see.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Yeah, the RDX/MDX combination likely has better interior quality than the Mazdas. In terms of handling, the CX-7 has been compared to the Mazda RX-8, so it might be a worthy competitor to the RDX (and it costs almost 10 grand less when you start loading them up), and the tech packages on both the CX-7 and RDX are somewhat equivalent. People believe some of this handling and the technology from the CX-7 will carry through to the CX-9, so although Mazda isn't directly going after the Euro-SUV class and the luxo-japanese SUVs, it might get a second look from folks who want a little more excitement from a SUV.
    Cx-9 not out yet. you probably saw cx-7.
    A stripped model wold be nice- but then again thats not luxury class.
    The MDX is on Acura's website, acura.com you know. Its under future vehicles with the TL-s.
    The MDX's base price is $40k.

4dr SUV AWD Automatic AWD 3.7L 6cyl
    $39,995

4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package Automatic AWD 3.7L 6cyl
    $43,495

4dr SUV AWD w/Sport Package Automatic AWD 3.7L 6cyl
    $45,595

4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package Automatic AWD 3.7L 6cyl
    $45,695

4dr SUV AWD w/Sport, Entertainment Package Automatic AWD 3.7L 6cyl
    $47,795

Its expensive but it looks GREAT! Hope this helps!

Actually it is! The base aka "plain jane" model is well equipped!

Here is a link comparing all 5 MDX trim levels. Be sure to click the different tabs. The "Print Summary" tab just displays everything from the other tabs.

Yes. From this link, it is obvious that the base MDX is quite loaded.
    "The option packages could have been made a little less "all-inclusive." Anybody should be able to order the sport package."

No one is denying that an a la carte option system would be nice.

What you are apparently unwilling to accept that such a system would be expensive.

Each little step you add to the assembly process adds cost. That cost gets passed to the customer. In the end, a customer looking to buy a loaded vehicle might end up spending $5K more because of all the hidden "assembly fees".
    My clue is buying white or silver painted to keep vehicle cooler, Does front grill color themes are same as body? It will be looks funny if grill gets red and body gets blue, an extreme case.
    As view of 7 passenger SUV, some of my pals I know, they told me X5 is quite reliable. Price would be 56K if well equipped on 2007, but MDX is still cheaper, more horses, just I don't like the fake wood interior.

Anyway, I still can't make up my mind.. gotta drive all first and decide. :P
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I'm with you pink! I too will hold judgment until I drive both the X5 and MDX. If the 300HP feels like the RL, I will be very disappointed. The RL's 300HP did not feel like one. Go drive the 335i with 300 HP. That car rocks! I guess the torque has something to do with it. The 3.0liter X5 will have around 260HP. Knowing that, it will likely handle better and feel more powerful with the torque at lower RPM than the MDX. Of course, I am taking the value out of the picture and strickly looking at performance.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The RL doesn't feel like a car with 300hp because it is an AWD that carries nearly 4000lbs of weight. For sure, MDX will be slower than the RL due to its 4500lbs weight. For 0-60mph numbers, RL at 6.7sec while MDX is estimated to be 7.6sec (no official test yet). RL is on par with, say, a BMW 530iA. BMW claims new X5 3.0 to be at 7.8sec. We can safely assume that MDX would be slightly faster. However, 3.7L would certainly generates much more torque than the 3.0L of X5. Even with the advantage of I6 vs. V6, there is no substitute for displacement (>20%), apple to apple.

BMW 335 is another category. Anything good about 335 does not get carried to BMW X5 3.0L. Turbo chargers are not reliable. I don't think the turbo chargers from BMW would be exceptions.

I am very interested in new MDX. I have owned my 540iA since new for 8 years. I was among the first who test drove the new RL when it came out. Disappointed with its performance (compared with my 540iA, of course) Don't get me started on BMW reliability, though. I don't think "reliability" is even in BMW's dictionary. Handling definitely is.
    I do know most acura got high-horse powers on it, but I felt it much slower than it's horses by low torques differences.

I drove TL VS Nissan Maxima once, those are near by 255HP each. Maxima was way much faster than TL to me.

X5's 260 and MDX's 300, It looks like MDX is winner of engine, but should test it first and I will buy.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I know that 335 is in another category. But a 300HP vehicle should feel like one and not just a number. Even though the 0-60 times are similar. The feel and the driving dynamics seems to be far superior in the X5. It just feels faster with the car pulling you as you step on the accelerator. As far as reliablity with BMWs, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. That is one thing that is lacking in the German vehicles especially their electronics. As far as the engine, hands down, it is the BMW. JMHO
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    This is a MDX forum. I don't really want to take it too far off the course here. Here is a list of problems I ever had with my '98 540iA
    (as far as I can remember. I am sure I missed some.) You be the judge of BMW reliability. Mine is the second year model, FYI.
    - moonroof broken TWICE
    - cat converter rattle
    - trunk latch failed
    - windshield relay failed
    - fog light switch failed
    - radiator failed on highway (55K miles)
    - coolant temp sensors failed TWICE
    - water pump (58Kmiles)
    - coolant reservoir cracked (55K miles)
    - cam position sensors failed TWICE (won't start)
    - instrument cluster LCD missing pixel TWICE.
    - said LCD cluster's back light failed

None of those are maintenance items.
    Roughly 50% happened under warranty. I estimate about $3000 out of my pocket so far.

In general, BMW I6 is more reliable than their V8. However, my friend's 2001 325's (life-time fluid) tranny just failed (at 55K!). $5000 out of his pocket. He is still trying to figure out how to tell his wife about it...

If I had to own a BMW again (for whatever crazy reason), I would lease it for four years (free maintenance included, nice!). At the end, return it to the dealer. Saiyonara!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Volvo XC90 vs MB M-class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 330 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX discussion too. It could use a jump start with a post like yours. ;)
This discussion has been closed.