Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "As far as people saying that acceleration is slow off the line, I can't get with that. What are they comparing it to? I think my wife's FX is probably the quick est in the segment, but it felt equally responsive. I very aggressively put my foot in to the accelerator, and I felt it responded as it should given the specs, price and class of the vehicle. It is very sure footed."

Many drivers want the car to jump off the line without putting their foot to the floor or hearing the engine race. It's probably a cultural thing.

I come from a 1999 CR-V, which was lambasted in the press for being under-powered. A buddy complained about the lack of torque after tooling around town in it.

Next time he was in the car while I was driving, I side-stepped the clutch while he was fiddling with his phone. Sent his noggin right into the headrest then asked if that was enough torque for him. ;)

It's less of an issue with the MDX, but I can see why it happens. Most drivers want "effortless" acceleration. It's something that is valued in both performance and luxury cars. With the MDX, you get good fuel economy, but you have to flog it a bit to get it to move. It's a trade off.
    I dunno about bloated, but the MDX does look big. That could be a problem for some buyers, but others like their trucks to appear massive.

I happen to like the width. First of all, it adds stability. Second, it gives the interior a nice spacious feeling. Third, the cargo area is wide enough to swallow flat stock from the lumber yard, strollers, and furniture.

I think the stylists went a little overboard with the front fender flare, but that's a minor niggle with an otherwise bold and contemporary design.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Gear Ratios:
    07 MDX 2.697/1.606/1.071/0.766/0.538
    06 MDX 2.69/1.57/1.02/0.73/0.53
    07 X5 4.17/2.34/1.52/1.14/0.87/0.69

Just FYI.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I thought in pictures it may have been a little bloated, but after seeing it in person it's a lot more svelte to my eyes.
    As to acceleration being a cultural thing, I can't get with that either. I think it's that people haven't been around enough cars to know what one will do over the other one. It sounds like some people want the butter like acceleration of a 90k Mercedes S class at the price point of 45k.
  • jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    It actually looks svelte like dhamilton says. Compared to the Q7 or GL it looks positively small, but to me that is the right size especially for my garage. Interior wise the MDX is a step up for Acura, lots of soft touch plastics and nice fabric lining on the pillars.
    I tried out all the seats and the only qualms I had was with the 3rd row which definitely is small and fit only for kids or small adults (and I'm only 5'5). It also is hard to get into, you really have to be athletic to squeeze into the small narrow space behind the second row seat. The 3rd row could really use a little more space that a adjustable 2nd row could provide.
    I haven't driven the MDX yet so that is my next goal, but this is defintely my next vehicle. Compared to all the other midsized SUV I checked out at the autoshow the refinement, looks, value for the money and possibly performance really gives the MDX the edge.
    I use the word cultural because in other parts of the world they don't mind pressing the petrol pedal all the way to the floor. Nor do they have issues with revving the snot out of an engine to make a car boogie.

Here in North America, many expect to get a big push from a half-hearted stab at the accelerator.
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    I spent three high-speed laps around a race track riding in the 2007 Acura MDX’s third-row seat – all 235 pounds and six feet of me – and didn’t need a motion sickness bag or a chiropractor after the experience. Still, the front seats are a much better place to be.

Comfort is king in the 2007 Acura MDX, if you’re sitting up front in the lovely leather-lined seats, and on a day with comfortable temperatures and humidity levels because an obvious option for a luxury SUV is missing from the new MDX – cooling fans for the seats. It’s also lacking one-touch down functionality for the rear windows, which is something you can get on an $18,000 Volkswagen Jetta.

If you can overlook these two omissions, you’ll be quite happy with the new MDX’s comfort levels. The front seats are wrapped in soft leather with supportive cushions underneath, and the front passenger’s seat is adjustable for height which goes a long way toward making long road trips enjoyable. Adults riding in the second-row seat might feel a bit snug if they’re tall, in part due to a lack of leg space but also because the outboard positions get more bolstering than normal. The result is rear passengers that won’t get tossed around as much during a spirited drive. Don’t forget that the rear seats are also heated when the Entertainment Package is ordered, increasing comfort on a colder day.

Acura deflects criticism about the space in the MDX’s third-row by saying it’s designed for children up to age 12, but will accommodate adults for short trips. Nevertheless, I crawled in, all 235 pounds and six feet of me. Once I got situated, my legs were flush against the second-row seatbacks but there was a little bit of toe space available, head room was decent, and the seat itself offers a modicum of support. Entry and exit were pretty easy, too, and I even spent three high-speed laps around a race track riding in the way back. Under these conditions, the active suspension’s ability to control pitch, dive, and squat – coupled with a smooth driver – made a motion sickness bag during high speed handling unnecessary.

[from auto site]....
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "I happen to like the width."

Ironically, that alone could be a deal-breaker for me. I think it's almost the same width as a full-size Sequoia (the truck, not the tree)! Maybe it has something to do with the small, narrow parking spaces in many of the parking lots and parkades in my town, but wide vehicles are a pain to park around here. You almost always have to back it in. :mad:
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    Test drove a fully 07 MDX (Sport/Tech/Ent).

Pros:
    - Nice looking interior and exterior (modern looking)
    - Handles well / agile
    - Great Brakes
    - Comfortable seats
    - Quiet ride / cruises at 85 - 90 mph with no problems (very stable)
    - High quality engine sound

Cons:
    - Size (interior space seems smaller than the last model). Good width but a little short and low. Overall just looks/feels small.
    - Roof line is a little too low - especially in the back
    - When the MDX is pushed hard into turns you can still feel it is a front wheel drive biased vehicle (front plows slightly)
    - Engine could use some more lower end punch
    - I could not feel the difference in the sport vs comfort suspension settings (handles turns well but doesn't like rough pavement)
    - The non-sport version wheels look wimpy in comparison to the sport
    - Over priced

Summary
    - Nice vehicle but not worth $47k. I think it is worth $40 - 42K tops (for a fully loaded version). I don't think they will sell as well as the previous generation due to the pricing strategy.
    - Unless the price comes down soon (serious discounting just like the RL), I'll probably end up purchasing something else.
  • jdoe2jdoe2 Member Posts: 6
    If it's not too much to ask, it would be very helpful if anyone can breakdown to cost of their purchase, including pricing of each option. I have visit two Acura dealers and have recived very different pricing. It woul dbe helpful in comparing dealers and resgional differences. Any informaiton would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance. :shades:

PS- Any one aware of the invoice prices??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Acura MDX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for people's real deals.

Invoice prices aren't up yet here, but stay tuned.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    According to cars.com the invoice for the '07 MDX w/ sport pkg. is $41,103. If you add the invoice for the dvd ent.($1980)you get $43,083. Thats a difference of $4912 from MSRP. Wow.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Typically, invoice to MSRP difference is about 9-10% in most, if not all, vehicles.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Have put 800 miles on the MDX (Sport/RES packages) consisting of interstate and in-town driving. So far no problems to report. Price paid was MSRP (selling very fast at Atlanta dealership). Working through manual which is 300+ pages (interesting little tidbits about power consumption of heated seats and power outlet)...last item to review is the RES.

Handling is great in turns and has been very easy to park. Acceleration on interstate on-ramps is very good; but for me did take a few times to judge right amount of foot pressure. Easily travels at 80 mph on interstate. Technology package is very good...bluetooth phone and navigation are very easy to use and for the most part are menu driven (manual and voice activation). Satellite radio has been a favorite. Another feature that has not been discussed very much is the climate control system. I have found it to be very good...has alot of options for all passengers.

Overall have been very pleased with purchase. Will say that if folks are looking to carry over four people would look at other SUV's. Part two of review will cover RES and Sport driving (mountain roads in NC).
    Yeah, I can understand that. When the original MDX was released, I know many folks with small garages complained about the width. Unlike a minivan, where the rear doors slide open, the doors on an SUV open wide. People with narrow car ports, parking spaces, and garages would complain about dings on the doors.

Still, for my purposes, I'd take the stability and safety that comes with it over issues like those.
  • smrt50smrt50 Member Posts: 6
    I check the prices on Cars.com, concerning the MDX's invoice and GOOD LUCK getting that price. This car is hot and there are many people that will pay close the asking price, and the dealerships in Penn. are not moving on the sticker. The listed invoice price, (cars.com), will probably be good in about 8-10mths,if not longer. I purchased a 2007 MDX, and I researched it for months, and I got $600.00 off the sticker.
  • mdxmommdxmom Member Posts: 6
    Smrt50 I am new to car buying so am not clear on the difference between MSRP and Sticker.

I thought you paid $43,495 the first day the car was out which is the full MSRP. What would sticker have been and will this change over time?
    Sticker, and MSRP generally refer to the same number. The difference would be between MSRP and Invoice, the latter being the dealer's cost, before factoring in things such as holdback, and other factory incentives. Holdback is a financing allowance paid to the dealer, usually around 2%, and which many dealer consider a sacred cow, and not available for negotiation. As for factory incentives, you likely won't see any for quite some time for a new, in-demand model like the MDX.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We have a 2005 MDX and 2004 TL. I know the owner of the dealership in western PA that we bought both from personally. He privately indicated that if we were interested in a new MDX, to wait 4-5 months (at most) for invoice + $500 pricing. Off the record, he does not think the MSRP pricing will hold for very long. Especially given the fairly substantial price increase for a fully equiped one and the introduction of the RDX. He offered me $1,000 off immediately as a repeat customer if I really had to have one now (we don't).

Given that I got $10k+ off on a new 911 in 2005 that still has an Edmunds "TMV" of full MSRP, I would be hesitant to get caught up in paying anywhere near MSRP for any Acura, unless I really did need the car immediately. Even our limited edition Honda S2000 was purchased for $32k when the Edmunds TMV was $36.8k ($4k over MSRP). I think Edmunds must poll too many California buyers.

The new MDX looks pretty impressive, I hope to drive one when I take my TL 6-speed in for an oil change.
    People want to see TMV numbers so we publish them even when sales are light like they are during a new model year introduction; if your dealer friend is right, the TMV should trend down from MSRP soon enough as more "poll" numbers come in.

I voted yesterday - can we please (!) turn off all the polling and political ads for another two years now? :P
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    well were getting TL in jan. If they can give us invoice on that and an MDX at same time, they have 2 sales. if not we'll still be getting TL for invoice prob anyway so they lose out on 2nd sale and wont gain anything on the sale of the TL alone to us.

we'll see. its great not be desperate for the deal because i'll only do it for that price/deal. if they refuse, im fine with not buying and will wait for it to inevitably to come down like the old mdx did or get a better model that may come out later. i have a 2006 mid size suv so while i like the 2007 mdx i wont be desperate for it unless for a great deal. might be better deals in jan but might still be too new.
  • flevyflevy Member Posts: 18
    My lease on my 2003 MDX has expired, but Honda Financial allows you to extend it on a monthly basis for up to two years. My lease payment is $460/mth. Since I am not in a time bind for a new SUV, I was thinking of waiting until spring and then getting a new vehicle. One way to look at it is that lease payments on a new MDX will probably drop significantly in six months (better selling price and perhaps some support from Honda), but on the other hand in the next six months I will have paid some $2700 in lease payments and while I would have had the use of a 4 year old SUV, I would have nothing really to show for it. Do you bite the bullett and make higher payments for the future or continue to make the payments on the old SUV? Am I missing something? Thoughts please.
    The only comment I have is that I wouldn't extend the lease for more than 2 or 3 months, since essentially, you would be over-paying for the extended period of the lease. So, if you're going to be over-paying anyway, may as well do it for a new vehicle! (Does that make sense?) ;)
  • bittervwbittervw Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone tell me if the 07 MDX has child seat LATCH fittings in the 3rd row? I couldn't find the info on the acura website or in any searches. I hope to make it to a dealer soon. Thx.
    Hmmm... Pay 2,700 in lease payments and hope to make it up with a better deal later. Or, pay full price and get the new vehicle?

The first is a gamble and the second a known loss. But with the loss you get a new ride.

I'm with Bodble2 on this one. I'd be concerned that Acura doesn't shift their lease practices fast enough for you. In which case, you're over-paying at both ends of the deal. Better to stick with the devil you know.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    bittervw,

To answer your question, yes it does have the third row LATCH system. The latch for the center strap is located behind the seat right next to the latch that opens that small storage compartment.
    Hope this helps......(I just purchased one)
    Where, exactly, is the parking brake release button located on the new MDX? I hope it's not where you have to grope around for it.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    We'd better be careful on the definition of "LATCH".

Are we talking about where you attach the strap to the "top tether anchor" (which I think you said is there). Or is the question on the lower anchor points (usually in the crack between the seatback and the cushion).

The pre-2007 MDX's only had the top tether anchors in the third row, but did not have the lower anchor points (and the 2nd row only had two pairs). Is this different in the 2007?
  • selborneselborne Member Posts: 4
    To the left of the steering wheel in the lower part of the dash. The handle is BIG and hard to miss.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    At the dealer we searched for 3rd row LATCH anchors and didn't find any. The website (www.acura.com -> MDX -> Specifications -> Safety Features) says 2nd row LATCH anchors, 2nd & 3rd row child seat tethers, so I'm fairly confident in saying that the 2007 MDX does not have 3rd row LATCH anchors.
    Oh, ok...it's a handle that you pull on to release the brake. I thought it was a button you push. Thanks for the info.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Looking for an suv that sits like a car when you're in the cockpit -- mainly because I'm short. (I have to dump my brand new Jeep GC because the seats sit too high and my back/hip aches all the time from it.) Anyway, comfort wise, it was awesome -- way plushy seats, front and back, and you can get the seats pretty low to the floor. Power wise, I get what people say about it feeling slow off the line; you expect something else when you read it has 300 hp, but I certainly think it has more than enough power. After all, it's an SUV, not a race car, even with the Acura nameplate.
    Two things, apart from the price, that I didn't love were 1) the steering -- a tad too tight for me, but very smooth; 2)the stereo -- I thought it sounded very flat, and the subwoofer in back had a lot of distortion, even with fiddling. Sound very disappointing for a $45K car. Haven't decided yet...
    If you're short, wouldn't you prefer to have the seat high, rather than low to the floor?
    Remember you still have to be able to reach the pedals. Pedal extenders could help and a few SUVs offer power ones.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "2)the stereo -- I thought it sounded very flat, and the subwoofer in back had a lot of distortion, even with fiddling. Sound very disappointing for a $45K car. Haven't decided yet... "

I have an 06 MDX Touring.
    I will say that was I also am less than impressed with the Bose stereo it came with, but it's gotten better over time.
    (Only had it since May)

Speaker components need hours of usage before they can reach the best sound potential.
    It's hard to go to a dealer, test a stereo on a brand new vehicle and make any real decision... they need time to break in.

I'm not saying the 07 MDX has a fantastic stereo... but I believe that it will certainly sound better with time. Mine has gotten much better since taking delivery.

Good luck with your decision. :)
    True enough. I was thinking if she cranks the seat down to reach the pedals, she wouldn't be able to see over the dash! Yes, I suppose the power adjustable pedals may be the best/only solution.
  • mokotoksmokotoks Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I waited two years to finally test drive the 2007 MDX. I was disappointed that there was not a hybrid option as was rumored at times. The engine was strong but the vehicle felt heavy to me and the passing acceleration not as good as I had hoped with two people and no luggage etc. I was also disappointed that the roof rack and crossbars are extra and not standard on the vehicle. I am also bugged that there is no integrated rear hitch for towing . They went to the trouble of upsizing the rad and trans cooler for towing and then forgot to make adding a hitch easy. The vehicle seems like some sort of SUV sedan crossover and not so much SUV anymore. It is very luxurious inside but has gauges that are hard to see. I could not position the steering wheel where I could see the fuel gauge on the right side very well (6') and my wife could not see the gauges at all including the outside temperature and time as they are hidden between the tach and speedo tunnels. There is also a sizable blind spot when backing up and looking accross the right side through the small back window. My wife did not like the small sunroof which might be that way to accomodate the rear seat DVD screen in the ceiling.
    We have decided to wait until we can drive a 2007 X5 before we make our final decision
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    just go buy a truck with a diesel engine. pass on the mdx, please.

ksso
    ksso
    the mdx looks quite good in person and not so impressive in pictures.
    the rdx looks amazing in pictures, but not as impressive in real. am i the only one?

i'm still not an suv buyer.....

ksso
    Hi, I'm the one looking for an SUV to replace my Jeep cause I can't get comfortable.....anyway, when I said the MDX seat sits low to the floor, I could still see just fine, so no worries there. It sits like a car, and that's what I need. The Jeep seats in particular sit really high and the pedals sit off to the left, so I have to stretch and twist my hip to drive. Even with power adjustable pedals....that's the other thing, the pedals sit high off the floor too and you can't adjust the height, just how far out they sit. It's specific to the jeep -- too bad, I love it otherwise. The acura would probably be quite comfortable, of course the dealer wouldn't let me borrow it for half a day to confirm it, they're selling too hot. I also found the toyota 4 runner sat very comfortably, with good seats and pedals, but they've got a steering wheel shimmy issue that I'm not touching! (and just general quality control issues of late -- that's what comes with being #1 in sales I guess.)
    I said on my review of my test drive I thought the stereo sounded flat. Mainly at high volumes -- don't know if I can crank the Zeppelin in this vehicle if I buy it. ; ) If I don't crank it, it sounds fine at first blush. Guess they don't count on 70-s child soccer moms to buy an MDX. But I'm spoiled, I previously had a saab wagon with the 200W Harmon Kardon 8 speaker system, and once you've had that, all other car stereos sound pretty mediocre! Still the best sound quality (and maybe acoustics?) that I've found in all the vehicles I've driven.
    The recent towing thread now has its own discussion. Unfortunately I got the sequence messed up so you may want to start with #12 and then work back to the start. Oh well. :blush:

natenj1971, "Acura MDX Towing" #12, 2 Nov 2006 8:13 am
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    IMO, there are just too many threads now, some seem redundant (we have prices paid/buying experience as one topic, and leasing questions as another). I feel that a consolidated forum would be far more appealing, but fewer clicks. :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    some seem redundant

The Prices Paid Forums are basically for reporting and, yes, that includes leasing. But there are many who want to dig into the nuts and bolts of leasing and that would be a serious distraction to those (majority) interested only in the bottom line.

tidester, host
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    Yesterday, I visited two dealers in Vancouver, BC. One had 7 new MDXs on the lot for sale - 3 silvers, 1 grey, 2 greens, 2 blacks. The other dealer only had a couple but they were for sale - 1 white (with so called Bordeaux - should be called Cadbury Milk Chocolate) and 1 blue. That's 9 units for sale at 2 of the four Acura dealers in Vancouver (about 1.5 million).

And again, for Canadian readers, the only two interior choices are black and Bordeaux - no taupe or parchment. And for me, that's a dealer breaker. I've written to Acura, not that will likely make any difference. But I can't understand the product policy committee (or whoever makes these decisions) not to offer a single light color option in Canada when they offer two in the US...and to make one of the two choices a new and untested (and IMO awful) reddy/brown.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    I agree with you on that.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Over the weekend I had the opportunity to test drive an 07 MDX with Tech and Ent packages. Here are my thoughts on it.

Exterior:
    The overall design was nice. The side panel were pretty plain and I think that it would improve its appearance if it had a well defined crease or body side moulding. The front grill was nothing to write home about even though some here felt that the grill didn't look that bad. I thought it was too large and I did not like the the chrome drilled-holed plated front nose. It would have looked better if this part was left out. I think the vehicle was just high enough that a running board is needed for those vertically challenged.

Interior:
    Awesome fit and finish with excellent materials used. However the design/placement of the interior controls was not so good. I felt that the center stack was a little cluttered even though each section of the center stack was seperated by climate, cd, dvd, nav. The front center divider was a little too wide reducing the amount of thigh room for both the driver/passenger. The placement of the shifter was too close to the driver's thigh it should have been placed near the center of the console. The placement of cup holders with the cheap manual slider compartment should have been place up against the armrest compartment with a spring loaded door. The steering wheel seems a little small in diameter. I guess I am used to European vehicles with a thick steering wheel. Also, too many buttons on the steering wheel on all three sides of the "T".

The second row seats were very comfortable but forget about having an adult sit in the middle seat. The contour of the second row seats produced a hump on the middle seat and the backrest that is not very comfortable.

As for the third row seats, they cannot be opened unless the backrest of the second row seats is un-reclined or tilted forward slightly. I have to say the design of the third row is very nice because the seat cushion rises about six inches as the seat is opend so you are not sitting on the floor. The third row is basically for children. Just make sure that they do not have large feet since the foot space is limited.

The cargo area is very large and nice!

They also have great electronics! I really like the voice interface with all controls.

Performance/handling:
    Driving on both local streets and on the freeway, I have to say that the car has a nice ride and comfort along with quietness of the cabin.

The acceleration was adequate and I have also notice like others on this forum that the pickup from stop to the third gear, the car is sluggish and there seems to be no sense of power. With a 300HP engine, one would expect the power. There should be more torque at the lower gears! Handling is good but you do not feel connected to the road.

Bottomline, it drives like a Honda (which I have owned a few). It even performs similar to the RL and that is not too impressive and we all know how the RL did in sales over the last few years.

For the value, you cannot beat it! But don't expect the performance and handling like a BMW, Audi, VW. If you do, you will be disappointed.

I am in the market to buy either a MDX, X5, Q7 and after this test drive, the MDX is off the list. I think my parents (in their late 60's) would like this car alot.

JMHO
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Like your comment about RL versus MDX.
    They are nearly the same in weight, SH-AWD and gear spread of 5-speed. I won't be surprise that they feel the same in driving dynamics.

The engine is good enough for the task but the MDX needs a 6-speed tranny for better gear ratios. 2.7 is simply too short as the 1st gear. The new X5 starts at 4.0+.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    I'm looking at the Q7 and MDX too. I tought for handling the Q7 and MDX are pretty close. I did feel the 3.6 Q7 to be more powerful. I guess it's the fact it has his torque peak at a lower RPM. Interior wise, I preferred the Q7 but money wise, the MDX is ahead.
This discussion has been closed.