Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• eaj1eaj1 Member Posts: 5
    Just trying to keep up with traffic. So far Pac is Great.
  • steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Quote" electronically limited to 112 mph"

I know the engine is game, but like many Americans, the Pacifica weighs in at a portly 4400 lbs. I seriously doubt the Pacifica could crack 120 mph, unless there is a tailwind.............

I know , someone is going to go out and try this just to prove me wrong. Please send a streaming video so we can all watch...........
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    LOL. Oh God, please don't encourage anyone. Granted the Pac has a wide stance and very stable ride, but 112? You have nothing to prove.

In a perfect world where the road is smooth w. no dips,turns,or bumps, and some stickier tires, and a non-existent police force, I'd try it. :D

You see that's what happens when you turn 40 and have children, you feel your mortality.

Okay, now that I've lectured you all. If you really want to do it, ditto on the video. Just kidding.
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    You guys make it sound like 112 MPH was THAT fast. When I used to drive a lot in Germany, I had a BMW 1.6 liter, 3-series with a top speed of only 113 MPH. It was horrible, that thing was the SLOWEST thing on the autobahn. Every breadbox had passed me!

The worst insult to injury was one day when I was doing my 113 MPH max and a Volkwagen BUS was getting larger in my rear view mirror. I HATE VW vans!!! Yes, it passed me.... got rid of that crap of a car after that. :)

The Pacifica should be absolutely stable and easy to drive at those speeds.
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    Sorry axr6 but 100+ mph is fast. I've done it in a minivan ,and only for a short time, and most certain the Pac can do it and be stable at that speed. But why? Anything can happen w. alot less time to react. Under inflated tires, or even a blowout. Can you enjoy your drive at those speeds?

That VW BUS story cracked me up. I can imagine that scenario. You like SPEED obviously, the autobahn in Germany has your name on it. Me? 75mph, cruise control, and some sat. radio and I'm a happy camper.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    You mean screaming video? ;)
    Amen , brother nelson33. Like you, I am 40+ yrs and have a booster seat in the passenger side rear ...My AARP card is probably already printed and waiting.....

I think we all feel our mortality, which partially explains our mutual choice of vehicles!!

Still, I will say that I once kept three Harley riders in my rear view mirror by negotiating the twisties in my Pacifica at 65-80 mph in the Texas Hill Country. (NO traffic, dry conditions). The Pacifica is stable at speed, but it can also corner well.....We are mortal, but some of us can't resist the urge to play, even in the family Pac! ;)
    Ah, steelydan... AARP card at only 40+???

I'm turning 58 next month and quit road racing last year for the fear that I could no longer keep up with the fast paced video world of racing high powered formula cars. But... have I given up on speed? Nooooo....

Just today, finishing some speed work, I finally exceeded the 400 HP mark in my project third-gen, twin turbo RX-7. That is with only 2700 lbs to push. It gets to 140 MPH in a blink of an eye. Now, this is some violent speed combination for the street. That savage rush of power kind of pleasantly intimidated me a bit this afternoon but, loved it.

See, young people are natually fast. Older folks, like me, need the HP under our butts, just to keep up!

And, remember... if you ever get a speeding ticket, you were going too slow!!! I firmly believe that!

Now go and drive that Pacifica, like it was intended for; use that nice rev range! :)
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    I know the engine is game, but like many Americans, the Pacifica weighs in at a portly 4400 lbs. I seriously doubt the Pacifica could crack 120 mph, unless there is a tailwind.............

FYI Our 2005 Pacifica Touring with a full tank of gas and me (230 lbs) weighs in at just over 5000 lbs.
    This is almost exactly the same as my 1969 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron!
    Fred, I got the 4400 lb number from the driver's door "sticker" that displays such info as Tire pressure recommendations, etc.

Also, there is at least 150 lb. difference between FWD Pacs and AWD Pacs, mine is FWD....

I'm assuming yours must be AWD, I hope so at 5,000 lbs!
    axr6 , I stated that my AARP card was already "printed up and waiting" , those folks are just waiting for me to hit the big "50" number to put mine in the mail!

Given your penchant for speed, I'm assuming the Pacifica is a form of "automotive yoga" for you after your twin-turbo sessions!!!!!
  • jrs1110jrs1110 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2006 Pacifica FWD Signature Series and was disappointed to find a 35k MSRP vehicle does not come with auto on/off Daytime running lights. Does anyone know of an aftermarket module that can add these features? Would appreciate approximate cost for module and install. Thanks!
    That's interesting, my 2004 Pacifica comes with that feature. Do you have that EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Control) in your dash?

If you do, that's where you find all the settings for all the electronic stuff. I know I can turn my auto headlamps on or off through the EVIC.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    For some really stupid reason, Chrysler doesn't want you to have Daytime Running Lights (DRL) turned on except for fleet vehicles and Canadian models. However, if you can find a sympathetic service manager, you can have yours turned on, usually for free. I just had my 06 Limited done last week.

BTW, while in 04-05 models you would have to actually change the Country Code to "Canada," 06 allows you to just activate the "Fleet Daytime Running Light."
  • jrs1110jrs1110 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks steelydan0163. I appreciate information. It does come with auto off delay after you exit auto. However it does not have auto on/off . The feature that automatic turns lights on/off via a optic sensor according to outside lighting conditions. This feature is available on AWD and Limited models but not on FWD Signature. (deep sigh)
    You don't want to hear this, but my 2004 FWD did come with this feature, Chrysler obviously packages things a little differently now, probalbly trying to lower the MSRP a little bit. (deep group sigh).....................
    Well, steelydan speeding can KILL YOU! I just got home from the hospital and still not settled if I will live or die. If you care to read it, here is a link with the details that I've posted on my favorite white water forum:

Hope the link works.

http://www.boatertalk.com/messageframe.php?frames=yes&forumid=LiquidLounge&mid=9- 64745
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    Anybody have a suggestion how to change the bulb from the foglights? Any advice will help. Thanks...
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    Well I finally ordered and changed the PDM. All is working as it should now with no flickering or hesitation of the HID's to turn on. The final test will be when the pac is left parked outside for over 3 hours in cold weather. But so far all has been solved.

Just one little tid bit if you decide to do this. After the initial install, the tech forgot to set the IOD fuse to 'customer mode' from the 'shiping mode' and when the key was taken out of the ignition the car had no power as the key fob, rear hatch, interior lights, clock, etc.. all did not function. But once you take that pink IOD fuse and turn it around 180 degrees and insert it back everything will work as it should. Just tell the tech to remember and do this so you don't have to and everything wil be working properly when you leave the dealer.

The cost of the new pdm was $400.00 plus tax and the install was $100.00. Hope this helps and good luck with the HID swap if you decide to do this.
    All you have to do is reach under the car and locate the fog light and turn the socket counter clockwise and pull the bulb out. Too easy actually, just remember not to touch the bulbs with your fingers.
    Thanks, pscdoc, for the info. As a matter of facts, I have just purchased the PDM for my new 06 Limited ($318.60 & no tax from gotmoparts.com -- they have the best prices) and the dealer agreed to swap it out for free (because I wanted an 06 with HID but they didn't have one in stock, so I pulled out the set of HIDs from my 04 and put them in this one)! The appointment is for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks pscdoc. I was about to take the whole thing out.
    No problem. Glad to help.
    Wow, good price! But you traded in your '04 for an '06? I'm pretty sure it will work eventhough we don't have the same build date. Just remember to turn the IOD fuse 180 degrees after the install and don't go thru what I did lol. Good luck.
    I need your help, pscdoc: I was at the dealer's today trying to have the PDM switched out and the service manager claimed that he had to get an OK from Chrysler before he could do anything -- something about the warranty could be voided without their approval! Did you have the same problem and what exactly did the work ticket say in your case? Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated.
    That is odd to hear. I ordered the part directly from my dealer and had them do the install. They gave me no problems with this at all. I do not have the work order in front of me but from my recollection all it said was to replace the PDM as requested by owner. You could tell them that you will take responsibility for any problems the swap may cause. But the dealer's claim that they have to get the ok from chrysler seems very odd. If they do not want to do try another dealer. You could also tell them that 2 people (That I know of) have done this with no problems. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep me informed.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Would like to know how difficult it is to install a hitch on my 04 Pac? What you used to cut the lower bumper panel?
    Fred, I got the 4400 lb number from the driver's door "sticker" that displays such info as Tire pressure recommendations, etc.
    I know where the 4400 lbs came from. It is just that the curb weight is not what vehicles weigh when you drive them. I was surprised because the Pacifica does not appear as massive as the 1969 Lebaron at 229"+ long with a 440 cu inch engine and no attempt at any form of weight savings. Yes the Pacifica is a 4x4.
  • rllfishrllfish Member Posts: 2
    Install my hitch this last week end did not cut anything just bolted it up......I purchased a tub type made by Hidden Hitch off Ebay for $119.00 did it in less then an hour and that included new plug in pigtail wiring............
    Would like to know how difficult it is to install a hitch on my 04 Pac? What you used to cut the lower bumper panel?
    I installed a Chrysler hitch on our 2005 Pacifica. Cost me about $200 with tax. Not difficult. You must lower the spare tire and loosen the muffler. Probably about one hour. I took it back to the dealer to cut out the lower bumper. They did not do a great job, but they also did not charge me for it. There is a trim piece for the rear cut out which comes with the Chrysler kit which you do not really need.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Thanks guys for the come back. rllfish, isn't your hitch setting low ? I know the MoPar has to have a cut out. I have an AWD Pac & that may make a differance. Fred222 Is yours a AWD?
    pscdoc: After about a week going back and forth with Chrysler, they finally agreed to switch out the PDM. You're right that they forgot to switch around the IOD fuse and I just took care of it myself (thanks for the tip)! My HID lights are now working without any problems.
  • rllfishrllfish Member Posts: 2
    Less then a 1/2 inch below the bumper..same higth as the muffler or above it just slightly.Have had no problems with it so far.Mine is a FWD 2005...........
    Very nice to hear everything worked out. Yes, after the swap I have had zero problems with my HID's.
    Thanks guys for the come back. rllfish, isn't your hitch setting low ? I know the MoPar has to have a cut out. I have an AWD Pac & that may make a differance. Fred222 Is yours a AWD?
    Yes it is an AWD Touring. I just went outside to look at the hitch. It goes down about 1/2" below the rear bumper and about 1 1/2" up into the rear bumper. About 2" was cut out of the bumper to give an extra 1/2" of clearance. With any clearance at all, a hitch which does not require a cut out would be about 2" lower that the Mopar unit on our 2005 Touring.
  • thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    Use the Mopar hitch.Looks much better. $175.00 at the dealer. The template comes with it to cut the bumper. Drill the two corner holes first with a hole saw and then cut from bottom up with a fine hack saw blade on each side then across the top with an exacto knife. Once you cut in a little the piece will break out clean. Bevel the edge with the exacto and they give you the trim to slip over it. No problem, looks great.
    fred222, I am impressed that you could follow the "follow the crappy illustrations" that come with the Mopar trailer hitch, I looked at it and took the hitch to my dealer and they did a great job, with the concealed wiring harness AND the trim piece that you didn't use.

I have to say that the trim piece is a "professional touch" and the concealed wiring harness is out of sight completely but is fully available when you need it. It even has a little "dust cap" that keeps the road crud off....

I think my dealer charged $175 to install the Mopar hitch and that included the wiring harness, cut out , etc....

:)
    fred222, I am impressed that you could follow the "follow the crappy illustrations" that come with the Mopar trailer hitch, I looked at it and took the hitch to my dealer and they did a great job, with the concealed wiring harness AND the trim piece that you didn't use.

I did not get the wiring harness since we do not intend to use the hitch for towing at this point. The physical install of the hitch is not too bad. I would not like to buy a vehicle like this (low tow capacity) that has been used for towing and the absence of the wiring harness may help reinforce that no towing was done. We are using the hitch for a bike carrier only. The trim piece is easily removed and replaced if the dealer did not glue it on. You may find the appearance more appealing without the trim piece if you can try it easily. I did.
    fred222, the trim piece probably hides a "goofed up" saw job on the cut out, all in all you would have to agree that it could hide a "cut out" mistake on the back end .

fred222, I don't understand your comments on the towing issue at all. As you probably know , the Pacifica is rated to tow 3500 lbs. , and I have rented a couple of U-Haul trailers for my office needs and found the wiring harness invaluable, without straining the Pacifica one bit.....

I also have a Thule 4 bike hitch mounted bike carrier, and the wiring harness allows me to mount a BRAKE LIGHT on the carrier, as I estimate my Klein Quantum road bike alone to be worth $3000 big ones...........Cheap insurance, I say.......
    Agree 100% with you thimmaker, the Mopar hitch is the ONLY custom looking hitch to use. Mine is invisible, professional, and looks like it was made to order..
    fred222, I don't understand your comments on the towing issue at all. As you probably know , the Pacifica is rated to tow 3500 lbs. , and I have rented a couple of U-Haul trailers for my office needs and found the wiring harness invaluable, without straining the Pacifica one bit.....
    This is my personal preference that I do not want to buy ANY used vehicle that has been used for towing. This is especially true of vehicles with lower towing capacities like cross over SUV's and minivans. I think that towing adds significantly more wear to the drive trane and prefer vehicles that have not had this abuse. My preference.
  • thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    Just a suggestion, but I took the rubber hitch cover that comes with the hitch and put it on the opposite (front) end of the hitch tube to keep all the road crap out of the tube when driving and bought a new hitch cover for show. Otherwise that hitch tube fills up with wet dirt.
  • heroshimaheroshima Member Posts: 9
    just a follow up, the front a/v jacks are line level Putting to much juice even from an ipod will eventialy cause the unit to fail as the unit was not designed to take the sort of juice you might dish out to it. They sell very cheep line level converters that are small in size. This might be a better if not safer solution as you would get the proper freq on your bass/treb. I blew my 04 head unit with a 2nd gen ipod doing just what you did not to mention damaging the ipod in the process. :sick:
    fred222, I agree with you about used vehicles that were used for towing, I only buy new so the original owner (me) gets to tow if he wants to.
  • thompsonjoshuathompsonjoshua Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know Part Numbers for the auto dimming mirror? Or other Chrysler/Dodge equivalents to the auto dimming mirror?
    You need to be more specific as to what you meant by "auto dimming mirror" -- is it the inside rearview mirror or the outside driverside mirror. Also, you'd need to provide the model year!
    Yeh, I guess a bit more info would help. Sorry about that. Looking for any info concerning the rearview auto dimming mirror, for a 2005 Pacifica. Basically I'm looking for upgrading my headlights to Auto and have been reading that all it takes is one of those mirrors and the correct steering column switch. I've been trying to locate Part Numbers for these items but cant seem to either. And I guess while I'm at it, I want to add fog lamps and use that same combo steering column switch, much like you would have if it were to have come stock. Thanks for any and all input.
    The inside Rearview Mirror with Auto Dimmer: 4894387AA

The Steering Column Multi-Function Switch with Fog Lamps: 4685956AC

Hope it's helpful! Good luck!
    Many many thanks. I'm sure this will help out a lot. Now I can set about searching for possible used items. Ideas where to look other than ebay? Thanks again.
    With minor items like these, I don't think it's worth the time hunting for them used. You can always google "pacifica parts" and see what pops up.

There's a Chrysler dealer in NC that gives pretty deep discounts -- try gotmoparts.com and call them on the phone directly (they don't list everything on their website).

Good luck!