Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    can you give us a very detailed description of what you mean by loss of power in 2nd gear when in autostick (manual shift mode) ?? exactly how did the car react. did the RPMs drop? did the car slow down ?

thanks again
  • jerrykohjerrykoh Member Posts: 15
    in gear 2 autostick - before the transmission software upgrade. It's hard to explain - but it's like the car doesn't accelerate anymore - it has to start slowly gaining the momentum. The upgrade fixed this.
  • sutton4sutton4 Member Posts: 34
    The supplier who makes the Pacifica interior and instrument panel looks like they might be getting the boot due to quality problems.

"Chrysler, C & A Tussling Over Quality"

"Chrysler is having a row with one of its chief interior materials suppliers - and according to the Detroit Free Press, the company is putting up Collins & Aikman's contracts with the company for rebidding as a result. C&A, one of the company's ten biggest suppliers, makes interior trim and instrument panels for Chrysler's Pacifica, the new Durango and the next minivan, among other vehicles. The paper reports Chrysler is seeking out competitive bids for C&A's current and future business - a report that sent the supplier's shares tumbling 35 percent on Friday."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6493&sid=17- 3&n=156
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I wonder if it is about quality or about saving costs (aka trying to be cheap)
  • chrisp456chrisp456 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my iPod. But it doesn't do it every time. Seems more likely to happen when the next song begins quietly. Maybe the Pacifica's sound system switches to aux on the basis of the strength of the signal coming in, not just on the presence of an external input?
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    Do you find you have to turn the volume of the iPOD way up for the Intermezzo to even recognize that it is there?

I realize there is an impedance matching problem here, but not sure how to correct it.

I don't have any other devices that I can plug into the AUX input to see if it is just an iPOD issue, or something larger.

Have you tried any other devices on the AUX inputs?
    Something strange today. Drove to work, leaving at 5:30AM in the dark. Got to work about 6:20 and it was barely light. Headlights were still on.

Left work at 4:30PM. Beautiful sunny day. Started up the car and headlights came on and stayed on (as opposed to the usual come on for a few seconds and then go off). They stayed on for the duration of the ride home. During that ride, I turned the lights off manually and then put it back to auto, They remained on.

Only after I stopped the car for a food run and restarted it did the lights resume the auto mode. Has anyone else seen this?
    ruski - the articles I have read say that it is primarily because of quality. "The Free Press quoted a Chrysler official who said, "Collins & Aikman is probably our worst supplier."

The recent Motor Trend article on the Pacifica also complained about the cheap interior of the Pacifica.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    "The recent Motor Trend article on the Pacifica also complained about the cheap interior of the Pacifica."
    I gotta wonder if the Motor Trend stall actually drove a Pacifica!
    I was in a neighbor's new Cadillac SRX yesterday, and the Pacifica interior is every bit as nice, for $15,000 less.
    Having lived with our Pacifica for 5 months and 12,000 miles, I think the interior is one of it's best features.
    hmmm... I woudn't call Pacifica's interior cheap. Maybe they had just finished test driving a Rolls before hopping into the Pacifica?

Or maybe they just smoked something wacky, as usual. They must do that before they test drive every American car.

They must also take Prozac before a BMW testdrive, 'cause they are always happy with those cars.
    I've had my Pacifica for just under 3 months and around 6200 miles. I noticed that the driver floor mat is wearing out under my right foot heel. Also, the main carpet is starting to wear under the gas pedal. Is anyone else having this problem? Something else to bring up on Saturday at the dealer!
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    The one thing I do think is cheap on the Pacifica interior is the auxiliary floor mats. The retention clip is cheap/dumb too.
    The mats & clip on my 300Ms were much better.
    I may need to get some aftermarket mats.
    I am waiting to see if they are covered under "bumper to bumper" coverage. Three months is way too soon for them to start to fail. If these cars are the crown jewel of Chrysler right now, and they are willing to offer a free loaner for service, they should stand behind their carpet and mats.
    dont know but I would think they would classify as wear and tear items...

I got some cheap but nice looking deep tread mats at WalMart ... yeah WalMart for like $10 each matt ... they have the deep tread like the Chysler dealer mats and fit nicely in front and rear ... (they come as separates) you need to buy 2 fronts and 2 rears ... I put my factory rears in the third row which I dont use 99.99% of the time ...
    Sure it is wear and tear... but in under 3 months? What about the carpet directly under the pedal? Just doesn't seem it show go this quickly. Especially, since most of my driving is highway / cruise control driving, so my foot isn't usually there!

Let me put it another way... I sold my 1993 Eagle Vision with 160,000 miles on it to get the Pacifica. I was the original owner of the vehicle. The floor mats barely showed any wear. Sure they were stained, but all the "fuzz" was still there. At this rate, I won't have 10,000 miles out of these mats before some of the "fuzz" is gone. Seems to me something is wrong here.
  • chrisp456chrisp456 Member Posts: 2
    Pssimon, I don't find that I have to turn my iPod volume way up to have the system recognize it. (I don't have the Inermezzo, just the CD/DVD changer.) But keeping the volume up does help keep the iPod online. If I turn the volume way down, a CD immediately cuts in.

I don't have any other devices to try connecting to AUX either, but since it's just an audio signal going out, I would imagine any mp3 player would produce the same results when it "played silence" between songs (unless it crossfaded into the next song).

People posting to this forum have described Chrysler service shops being able to download new software to alter headlight function. I wonder if the sound system is similarly upgradeable.
  • ch91423ch91423 Member Posts: 2
    The tweeters crackle on certain audio frequencies (deep bass for example), especially on the right side......through investigation I have assessed that the tweeters can't handle the power being driven to them. I brought it to the dealership and the service guy clearly heard the crackle when I played Madonna's "Ray Of Light" CD track 1 titled "Drowned World/Substitute for Love". But the technician reported he couldn't re-create it and they sent me on my way.
    I am going to put in a call to chyrsler corp. and report this problem. I am also in the process of having an audio company upgrade the speakers to see if this solves the crackler problem.
    If not, then it's an amp/receiver problem.
    IDEALLY, This system should be recalled. I shouldn't have to be paying almost 1000 dollars for an upgrade. But the crackle noise is driving me crazy. I work in audio and am sensitive to extraneous noise, but it is very obvious in my opinion and I see others feel the same way.
    Other than that and the lack of pick-up from the engine going uphill, I really like the car.
  • patty64patty64 Member Posts: 22
    ch91423,

Finally! I've been trying to figure this out for months. Every time I posted audio problems, no one could relate. Please let me know how you solve this. I am an audio fanatic and this is driving me crazy. You are absolutely correct that this happens only on music with a strong signal going to the tweeters. Please keep me posted. Do you also notice that the center channel seems to be "out-of-phase" on certain cd's? This is another problem that's driving me nuts.
  • ch91423ch91423 Member Posts: 2
    Here are the steps I am taking to address the problem I am having with the speakers (tweeter crackle on cd, radio...every medium basically). I called Chrysler Corp at 1-800-992-1997 and reported the problem. They noted my call and then referred me to the dealership where I re-created the tweeter crackle for the Service Manager. The service manager confirmed the noise and said he would have a chrysler technical representative who was visiting the dealership the next day do some tests on another pacifica and wanted me to call back next week to get a report. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO REPORT THIS PROBLEM IN ORDER FOR CHRYSLER TO TAKE IT SERIOUSLY......the service manager said if I was the only person reporting this to to Chrysler Corp AND the dealership directly that it is quite possible nothing will be done to correct it. I will keep you all posted.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    I'm no audiophile...I wouldn't even begin to be able to know if my 'tweeter' sounded bad. I turn the radio on...if it sounds okay, it must be okay.

Is there any way that someone like me would be able to know if there is a problem?
  • patty64patty64 Member Posts: 22
    I will certainly report this when I go in for my initial service visit. It is tops on my list!

Ms Mayor - you basically have to pay attention to the sound coming out of the speakers and listen for static, cracking, fuzziness (whatever you want to call it). Except for poor radio reception, the sound should be crystal clear.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    then there is no problem.
    I've heard the problem as well, but quite frankly figured they would tell me I was nuts! Guess I need to pursue it. I will say that I needed to crank up the stereo far further than I could were I to have my family in the car in order to hear it (I have one of those volume limiting devices that sit in the passenger seat <G>)!

Too bad I am leaving in a few days for a 2000+ mile trip. Guess it will wait till my return.
  • stoney39stoney39 Member Posts: 4
    We have had our Pacifica for 6 weeks now and love it. Today the check engine light came on while the wife was driving and when she pulled to a stop smoke started pouring out from under the hood. She shut it off and then restarted it a couple minutes later and the smoking had stopped. She immediately drove it to the Chrysler dealer we purchased from and they gave her a loaner....well sort of....A DAEWOOOOOOOO! a far cry from our $41,000 luxo boat! Anyway has anybody expierenced such a problem? Any TSB's on this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this isn't going to be an ongoing quality problem.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Stoney39, when you get your Pacifica back please let us know what caused the smoke.
    I wonder if Chrysler will supply that information.
    I have a beautiful finger smudge on the reflective plastic in front of the gauges. Has anyone come across this problem, and if so, what did you use to remove the smudge?

Thanks..... Paul
    A check engine light and smoke from under the hood doesn't sound very good. Did she see what the temperature gauge was doing?

Hopefully the engine isn't fried.
    These seem to be the 3 main factors on why the Pacifica is struggling in the marketplace according to the Detroit Press:

1 - disappointing performance,
    2 - lack of functionality and
    3 - poor quality interior fit and finish."

Detroit News Oct 16th: "I had my hopes that the Pacifica, Chrysler's interpretation of the crossover trend, might revive the company's fortunes. But my initial enthusiasm for what is an attractive design faded when I experienced its disappointing performance, lack of functionality and poor quality interior fit and finish."

http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders/0310/17/insiders-299245.htm
    Unfortunately my wife didn't make note of the engine temperature gauge. I wish she had. When I find out what went wrong I will repost. This may take a few days because they don't work on them over the weekend.
    I use a plastic cleaner spray like used for cleaning computer screens ... just a soft cloth so you dont scratch it and some mild cleaner (like endust for electronics)
  • grbelotegrbelote Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone had any problems with tire balance after tire rotation.?? I'm having a major problem.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    What brand of tires do you have?

Were they rebalanced after the first rotation?

My friend just got his FWD Pacifica and I'm curious what problems he may run into. His has Michelin MXW4Plus on it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Interesting you should bring up the tire balance thing. I just went in for the 6K checkup. Included with that was a rotation. When I finally got the car out on the highway, I thought I detected a vibration that wasn't there prior to rotation.

I have the Michelin Energy tires. I also have a FWD Pacifica.
    Bet they rotated without rebalancing or just ran a balance and if they were close didn't rebalance. The first rotation usually has the most change in the tires with Michelins. After that you can rotate without rebalancing on some of them. I loved NTB stores because they rebalanced each tire for rotation -- no hassel. Sears tries to skip the balancing. Saves 4 minutes of employees time. Until you come back because they didn't rebalance when they rotated...

I like to stay there to watch. Then you know that the torque wrench twisted off the stud because it had been put on wrong by the previous tire mechanic and cross-threaded. When they use a torque wrench to remove it FAST, it heats up, binds, and breaks the stud. They don't like to tell you when they do that...

Got the Pacifica back from the dealership this afternoon. According to the service invoice and I quote "Customer stated smoked like car on fire....Let run and raised on hoist to inspect, can find no fluid leaks. Did DRBIII diagnostics on controllers and has no fault error codes. Made sure all fuids were full. Reset MCM, test drove twice and all systems are operating properly." They used 1/2 tank of gas (Doughnut runs????).
    The tech stated that maybe it was a plastic bag or something similar that got caught under the hood...sounds like he was grabbing for something to tell us and I am not buying it. If it was a plastic bag there it surely got cooked and would have left some residue. If this problem pops up again I will post an update.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Stoney 39, actually it is possible that a plastic bag got caught between the exhaust pipes and smoked when burning. It is possible there is no visible residue after that. What I don't get is why the check engine light came on ?!

Also "no error codes" ?! Even some 15 years old cars store an error code after the check engine light is activated.

I wonder if you have a brand new engine under the hood and you don't know ! Half of the gas tank could be used for the new engine break-in, not for doughnuts. Enjoy your new Pacifica.
    I once caught a plastic bag. It partially melted and got stuck under the exhaust pipes. It made quite a smell until it fully burned off.
    My tires were rotated at 6000 miles and before rotation I did not have a balance problem. Tires were not rebalanced after rotation. Told the dealer I had a balance problem. Balanced tires and found left front out round, dealer replaced tire. Still have balance problem. New tire was out of round. Dealer put spare tire on left font rim and that did away with 90% of balance problem. I'm taking a 600 mile trip soon, so I agreed with dealer to make trip and advise them after trip. There is a Technical Bulletin # 2200203 that addresses tire balance. It pertains to the Nylon used in construction of these MXV4 Pluss tires.
  • pacificaoregonpacificaoregon Member Posts: 38
    There were previous posts by b25nut and Kalathiparambi back in August regarding their ATC displays fading in and out. I haven't seen any follow up posts mentioning if the problem was ever resolved. My Pacifica has this problem on a daily basis now. The dealership said they couldn't figure it out and would have to get back to me. Has anyone else had this problem resolved? If so, perhaps you can tell me where you had it serviced so I can have my dealership call them. Thanks in advance.
    Were the tires balanced on a road force balancer?

• b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    My temp display still fades in and out. I've been too lazy to take it in to the dealer and have been telling myself to wait until some other minor item may need fixing but everything else is working perfectly. I plan on taking it in next month.
       The fact that the tire pressure light does not go on when the Pacifica is started had me concerned if the system was working at all. Two weeks ago we drove to Las Vegas after an oil change and general service check and half way there the high tire pressure message came on. After cooling down I found that my serviceman had put 42 lb. of pressure in the tires. So the system does work.
    All I know the balancer is new and a computer balancer.Could you share some info on the road force balancer. Thanks
    Go to hunter.com for a link on the home page to find a shop in your area that has the Hunter 9700 balancer. Actually if your car has had the problem since new the dealer should handle trying this for you at their cost.

The balancer holds the tire against a rotation steel drum and measures how much the tire compresses under load at different points along with the weight difference. The weights are put on to compensate for the springiness differences. If a GM tire is more than 17 units, GM suggested replacing it on new Buicks having a shake problem when new. Read / search in Bonneville Problems discussion group for road force and balance problems. Because the A-arms are aluminum and so light, the cars really are susceptable to minor movements in the rotating wheels now.
    Hope this helps.

had my tires rotate, ballanced and 4 wheel allign at a Firestone/Bridgestone store. no problems at any speeds upto 100 mphs so far :)

they took off all weights and reballanced all tires. Allignment is a @#$@# with the tires having no bead for the allignment tool to attach to ...

The only thing is the tire sensors need resetting every rotation and its not a purchasable part from the dealer (according to Firestone) ... I am guessing you can buy the M300 one that comes with the car... but having to have Dealer retrain the tire sensors every time I get it rotated sucks.
  • sheckles1sheckles1 Member Posts: 2
    We've had the same problem in our Pacifica. In our case, the temperature display fades in/out, sometimes goes completely out. No combo of random button pushing or tapping gets it to come back.

My wife took the car to the dealer today for routine maintenance, and told them about it. They say they have no idea what's going on, have never heard of such an issue. They told her to bring it back once the problem recurs....

By the way, my dad upgraded to a mercedes and gave me his old 300 M as a gift. Funny thing is the exact same thing happens with the 300 M temperature display (but worse, it's blank 95% of the time). I checked the 300M discussions but couldn't find any posts related to this issue.

Regardless, I think Chrysler Corp and the dealers have to have an idea about this as it's beginning to sound like more than coincidental bad luck.

Look forward to finding out who gets the answer first, hopefully before our warranties expire!
    I think I confused my HVAC system. It knows not to turn the compressor on when the outside temperature is low enough. That works well. But not leaving well enough alone, I had pressed Auto Hi after it had been in the Auto Low mode. Realizing my mistake, I went back to low and the display and control went away. By that I mean the system stayed in the low heat mode, but I had no temperature control. All I had left was the icon with where the fan was blowing. I couldn't even turn it off! No buttons worked.

I had to stop the car and power down to reset the system to get things back to normal. Any one see yet?
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    I just talked to the service manager at my dealer about the fading temperature/AC display. He is familiar with the problem. He told me to bring it in to verify that it is the problem he thinks it is. If it is, it sounds like a more than one day fix.
  • sailme2sailme2 Member Posts: 8
    I love my Pacifica even with its new car problems. I agree with olrdv in msg #86. For those lamenting that the Pacifica is built by Chrysler and not MB should check out the J D Power 2003 Vehicle Dependability Study.
    Thanks for the information about the Hunter 9700 balancer. I'm having rebalanced with the Hunter. I'll advise.
  • pumarolopumarolo Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem when I got my car and this only after two days. I called my dealer and he suggested to bring it in for inspection. After inspecting the car they told me they had to order a new dash board display and change it.

Due to my 3 days satisfaction warranty I was able to get a new different car. They were good about it and now I am not experiencing any problems, except the speaker problem. I just can't beleive that this audio system is so cheap.
    It sounds like a 20$ boombox.

I will bring this up when the car is due for the oil change.

A question to the host. Why was my post 135 removed?
This discussion has been closed.