Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• isj817isj817 Member Posts: 2
    Please do not purchase this vehicle. From what I've been reading it has a lot of problems that Chrysler knows about but do not tell you during the purchasing process. Right now I am dealing with a clicking, clattering and cracking noise coming from the front-end when making a right turn (every time). The dealership is telling me it is normal on all Pacificas. This is not acceptable! DO NOT BUY!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    The dealership is telling me it is normal on all Pacificas.

Well, that's obviously not true because mine makes no such noise.

So far, ours has been perfect. Which is why I say GO AHEAD AND BUY!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dbwsrdbwsr Member Posts: 10
    The dealer got my gas gauge problem handled, and now I am a happy customer again. I did go out and buy an extended warranty, after reading the posting on this site, and seeing if I had to pay for this gas gauge problem, it would have been about $750. I must say, I love the automobile, and the way it handles. Everybody wants to ride in it!
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    I have 91km on a 2005 AWD Touring. I have notice different performance and gas mileage with different gas stations. I am currently partial to Arco, shell, and BP in my area.
  • pacproblemspacproblems Member Posts: 12
    Can you elaborate on your buyback experience? I am getting ready to go thru the same thing for the same problem. How much did they deduct for milage?

Thanks
  • cciampicciampi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 PAC AWD loaded. I can not figure how to get the DVD to play through the wireless headset. I got it to play through the radio but I read that you can listen to the radio while the kids listen to the movie?
    First, make sure the batteries in the headphone, and the remote are good. Second, use the remote to indicate headphone use, on the face of the unit. (Remember, the DVD must be in the unit) Thirdly, use the headphone behind the DVD player, ie rows 2 and 3. Otherwise, they will not pick up the signal. Funny, I would have asked the same question two months ago, but found out they work fine, and I can even list to Sirius Radio at the same time. Hope this helps.
  • stevenwstevenw Member Posts: 18
    I have to say that these posts made by people who have one problem "DO NOT BUY - BEWARE" are about the silliest thing I've ever seen.

Our 2004 PAC is going strong - 27.5K miles and been to the dealer for oil changes and a couple of TSB updates (had to flash the module once for something).

Overall this is a great vehicle. The old 80-20 rule is definitely at work here. 80% of us have no problems while the other 20% go on post after post about what a piece of crap the PAC is. I'm tired of it. It's time for the 80% to speak out!

THE PAC IS A GREAT CAR. If yours is having trouble don't come in here blasting the car as a junk heap. The majority of the cars are not junk heaps. :D:D:D:D
  • jimmybennettjimmybennett Member Posts: 7
    I agree. I love my Pacifica. I have to admit, I was a little spooked after reading some of the posts on here. The Pacifica is refined and a pleasure to drive. The sad reality is, you can find a lemon in every make of vehicle. It just happens.
  • tennis4micktennis4mick Member Posts: 7
    We're not at liberty to discuss the buy-back transaction - DaimlerChrysler made us sign a confidentiality agreement. But in answer to your milage question...they use a standard formula to determine the usage charge. Milage divided by 120,000 and multiplied by the Actual Price of the vehicle. Once the process was in the works with the 3rd party, ISG, the whole thing went smooth. Good luck to you. We love our Toyota Highlander!!
  • alafan1alafan1 Member Posts: 15
    I've had my 2006 Touring 2 weeks now & so far am very happy with it, but the "Passenger Seat Belt Off Light" does not come on when that seat is empty or when my 80 lb grandson is in it. Has anyone run into this?

Also a thing I really miss are the automatic headlights I had in my last car. Is there anyway to upgrade to Automatic Headlights in this car?

Thanks, Richard :confuse:
  • rowdy2rowdy2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Touring and also very happy with it. The automatic headlights apparently only works in the USA from what I read in the manual. Not a big problem as far as I'm concerned.
    I was wondering if you notice a jiggle sound or clunking sound in the front end when driving at low speed over small bumps? I have posted that question at # 1981.
    I have been driving my 2005 which I purchased off a lease, and have not have any clunking or jiggle noise. I do hear air passing near the roof exactly where my head is (sounds like radio static), and that is the only place. It's not the window and must be in the roof. My wife says turn up the music. I read that the lights are suppose to be automatic on and off, if so set,(my Cadillac called it sentry) After removing the key, and turning the lights off, the headlights will remain on for a prescribed time, set in the menu option and then turn them off. Mine cannot be automaticly set to go on while driving and it gets dark. Seat Belt Light....If you are talking about the light near the hazard warning switch, that is the air bag light. The light is activated, when a child or groceries are set on the seat to mimic a child sitting there. When the light is activated, the air bag should not inflate. I would think an 80 pound child would not trigger the activation of this light, and thus it is working properly. It would be advantageous to speak to the service manager.
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    How tall is your grandson? He may meet the systems requirements in terms of weight, position, and height. The next time you get in your car, place something like a back pack perhaps, or something comparable on the seat and see if the air bag cut-off light goes on. A smaller or younger child would be a good test as well. My Pac's cut off light has turned on w. my 8 year old son, approx 45lbs, sitting in it momentarily. My back pack has also triggered it as well. This test would at least eliminate whether it's working at all. Let us know how it goes.
  • fusillifusilli Member Posts: 24
    I will speak out because I believe I know what I am talking about. I am in my mid-40's and in the last 20 years, I have had numerous, high-end cars (new Corvettes, Mercedes S-Class, Mercedes 500 SL, two ML SUV's, etc.). This has been by far my favorite car. Granted my lifestyle has changed (I have a 7-year-old son) and it is my first car purchased on practicality and not passion, however, it has been a pleasure to drive this car. I have had it for a year now, and I absolutely love it. It feels like I am driving one of my old Benzes, only half, and in some cases, a quarter of the price. I have had only one problem with it, and it has to do with the ABS warning light getting stuck on. I have yet to remedy it, but it's just a matter of my bringing it in to the dealership. Basically, in synopsizing, I would consider buying this car again. To those picky people who complain about every little thing (the leather seating posts just crack me up--ALL cars, including Benz, do this, so don't blame Chrysler), try driving a high-end Beamer or Benz, quality is not what you think...
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    I agree completely with 1987's post. I have owned many luxury cars and they all have problems. My Limited is really one of the best automobiles I have owned. It certainly is better than my last 530 BMW or Benz. I have had not any problems. I dont drive over bumps slowly so I have not heard any clunking. The Benz clone of this car doesnt even have Bluetooth or Sirius and I think the fit and finish is better on the Pacifica. I think a lot of these posts are by folks with little experience owning other so called quality cars. The complaining is really sort of childish. Get a life. If you dont like the car trade it in on somthing else. Then you will have another car to pick apart.
  • tryagainredtryagainred Member Posts: 7
    i'm not complaining- i was just sharing my experience with the pacifica which is probably just a rare mishap in the making of it- we now have a blackbox on the pacifica to record the events (2nd time with the black box hooked up)-first time we had stalling 5 times, recorded the events with the blackbox button- yet when chrysler down loaded the box, no information on the computer chip- the NHTSA is involved in washington dc because of an accident caused by the "engine stalling"- so this is a little more than child's play involved in my case. So i will respond to your email posting that my case would definitely qualify as more than just "complaining". chrysler offered to slide me into another product- but at the sticker price on the car on their lot- not allowing any incentives or haggling of prices or rebates allowed- now how many people do you know pay the MSRP sticker price and would pass on the $7500 rebate offered on some of the cars? then i tried to trade in my car (as your email suggested getting out of it) and they all said they would have to deduct for "mechanical problems"- it will be in lemon law court next week unfortunately. the safety ratings were high on pacifica which sold me- but if it stalls without warning and a 18 wheeler is coming at you and your baby at 70 mph- that voids the safety claim.
    tryagainred

That's unfortunate about your problematic Pac. You have every right to post your probs. on this forum. After all that's why it's called "problems and solutions". You post it in hopes of finding others w. the same problems and hopefully a solution. I've been more fortunate than you obviously since my Pac stalled only once w. a few other minor quibbles. Other than that, it's great However, I always check in to this forum to see what my fellow Pac owners are experiencing. If I have a problem or notice something odd I will surely post, trivial or not, if I feel there might be a problem. No one likes to hear that their car is potentially problematic, myself included.

That's insane Chrysler offering you a window stickered Pac. How stupid do they think you are? Jeeeeez. Good Luck in court. I'm sure everything will work out.
  • fusillifusilli Member Posts: 24
    DJag,I have to laugh, because my Benz (well, at least the last one) was a POS, and the irony is it's all the same company! For some reason, Benz has let its quality slip, and it seems as if the Chrysler/Dodge division has improved immensely. I am so glad to be able to say that, after ten years, I am willing to try a domestic car again, and so glad I did, especially when I go to get an oil change, and I almost fall over when I can pay for it with a $20 bill AND GET CHANGE BACK!!
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    You have a valid complaint and I would take the same action you are taking with Chrysler. If it is a lemon it is a lemon. I have never had one but I have friends who have.
    I am talking about many of the complaints on this site which seem trivial from folks that dont seem to realize that all cars have some issues.
  • rowdy2rowdy2 Member Posts: 3
    Re your "air passing near the roof---" . I have read where the roof racks can make air noise if they are forward on the roof. I had a Buick Rendezvous that made air noise until I moved the racks all the way back. I've done the same with my PAC. I actually find the PAC has minimal wind noise compared to other vehicles I've owned over 40 years. The PAC is a great vehicle as far as I'm concerned!!
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    I agree with djag every make of cars will have problems,just check out other forums here and see for yourself.
  • twjtwj Member Posts: 6
    There are a few older threads about this (most recently Sept '05) but none of them indicate a fix. My newly-purchased '05 Limited demonstrates the pattern where the mirrors move when you press a memory setting, but don't go to the correct locations. Is there a TSB yet? I've only put ~800 miles on the car.

thanks,
    twj
    thanks guys for the encouragement- chrysler called again 7/7 and asked if we could work things out by sliding me into another car- MSRP of corse with no haggling allowed or incentives or cashbacks- eek- that's a sad offer. so "see ya in lemon law court"- even so, when i see my PAC parked in the parking lot i do think- boy that's a sharp looking car!
    THAT CHRYSLER OFFER IS SO DAMN INSULTING, IT'S RIDICULOUS. That's really unfortunate luck on your part to get the bad Pac of the litter. If it were me, I'd probably walk away from the Pac altogether just out of fear. Nothing worse than getting a car you truly enjoy, only to have it cause you problems. Unfortunately, cars are so "high tech" and "high content" nowadays that I can't imagine any car not causing you some type of problem. I take some comfort when I read far more expensive cars, ie Volvo XC90 and VW Toureg, w. somewhat worse problems than our more affordable Pacifica. They are machines, plain and simple, and they are not perfect.

Despite the Pac complaints, I still think it is a well built vehicle. Keep us posted, I'm curious how it all turns out for you.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    that's a good question. I have this same problem, but its difficult to get the dealer to do anything about it. They "can't replicate the problem" although I know its very easy to replicate. I just need to have the time to go in and actually show them what I'm talking about. I would think if there was a TSB, they would have done it to placate me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    There are very large differences in the memory settings between my wife and me. The memory systems get the pedals and seat just right as far as I can tell, but they could be a few percentage points off and I wouldn't know. The mirrors come very close to the setting you want but they are not exact. In their case, even a 1% difference is noticable. The mirrors are close enough so that it is safe to drive at the position they set, but I always spend a few minutes while driving "tweeking" the setting to exactly what I want, then I save it. I have not driven another car with a memory system before so I don't know it the other luxury cars get it exact. The side mirrors are so sensitive I would suspect few get them positioned 100% correctly.
  • twjtwj Member Posts: 6
    I've had a few cars w/memory mirrors (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes) and the mirrors have been flawless. I don't buy the "it gets them close enough" argument -- if I need to tweak them manually, the memory function is all but worthless.

twj
  • larrydude57larrydude57 Member Posts: 1
    There is a TSB on this ,# 0803803 reprogram the bcm. this might work,but I have been working on a 2005 with the same problem. I contacted the Chrysler hotline,they have no clue either.Good luck,hope the flash works.
  • canamrotaxcanamrotax Member Posts: 5
    It's located in the right rear area of the cargo area. IF you have a sub the vent is round. If you don't it's a rectangle, mostly louvers.
  • picpacpicpac Member Posts: 1
    I like to turn the radio on without the ignition. :confuse: :confuse: Ive had dead batteries from trying to play the radio without the engine running.Ive drained the battery in a half hour. Why in the world would this be done nowadays?
  • wkb2513wkb2513 Member Posts: 2
    I have been experiencing the same issue with my 2004 Pacifica. The car has broken down on me 3 times now in the past 5 weeks with Chrysler picking up the tab for towing and rentals. The gas gauge does a sudden drop to empty though there is plenty of gas in the tank, If I fill it the car will only take about 4.5 gallons, if I dont fill the car it will stall and not start. So far Chrysler has updated the computer twice and replaced a fuel pump, but I still have the problem. Can you tell me how Chrysler fixed your car? Was it still faulty fuel pumps?
    Thanks-
    they replaced the fuel pump and fuel tanks- and now i have engine hesitation instead if stalling- where it will act like it doesn't want to go and the speedometer needle will actually drop- but no stalling- they have a black box on it right now- PLEASE go to the NHTSA web site and file a report with them- they are tracking these cars- it is especially the ones with the 8/04 fuel pumps that are having this situation- i have lemon law court 8/31/06 against chrysler now.
    As reported back in June, I had the exact problem with the fuel tanks, and the inability to fill the tank. I found out, the tank really was empty, but because of one or both of the fuel pumps not working, the gauge was mis-reading. The gas actually runs from one tank to the other side, but only to a level. Thats why if you make sudden right, or left turns when slowing down off a freeway, the car stalls.
    The car needed service three times, and finally I called Detroit. This is a fuel pump issue. The ones on the market are bad. I understand the chip has to be flashed too. Once they fix it, the car runs good again, I guess till the next time. I bought a 100,000 mile warranty, just in case. These pumps, and draining the tank, are expensive. I am again real happy with the car, but this issue will happen to everyone, it's only a question of when. Dave in Phoenix
  • alena1alena1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Pacifica that has been expierencing gas gauge problems along with what seems to be transmission issues when the gas gauge acts up. The gauge obviously does not read correctly and when it reaches 1/3 of a tank it will automatically go down to E. At this time when stepping on the gas hard, the car does not accelerate but the RPMs shoot up to 5000. I also have an issue with the not starting on the first try in the morning. Not sure if all three of these problems are related.
    I have the same issues except my dealer does not not want to do anything to it as they claim that they can not duplicate my problems. I have had a fuel jet pump replace already and that didn't do the trick. It is now at another dealer who also can not duplicate the problem but have managed to make my car run worse. Can you please let me know how you are dealing with this as I am on my wits end.
    I had this same problem about a year ago. It was mostly obvious when in reverse like pulling out of a driveway. It was the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) on my car.
    Who in Detriot did you call? I have been trying to reach someone of any level of knowledge/authority in Chrysler and all I get is customer services reps.
    Here is the number, and the email sent to me . It should be noted, the dealer said they were only an ear, and it was the dealer who got the problem fixed. The dealer I went to In Phoenix, has an Excellent name for customer satisfaction! They fixed the problem. Look for a dealer somewhat nearby, with that commitment. It should be noted, Chrysler will pick up the tab for car rental, when the problem is under 36,000 miles, if you got the coverage when you purchased the car. Check, it helps them move a little faster. This is a problem that can be fixed, and the automobile will run just as good as ever.

Thank you for contacting the DaimlerChrysler. Your question has been
    sent to the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center in order to
    provide the best answer for your question. We appreciate your contact
    with us and look forward to getting back with you soon.

Should this matter be urgent, or you desire a quicker response, please
    contact us at 800-992-1997 (8:00am to 5:00pm; Monday thru Friday), to
    discuss the issue with one of our Representatives.
    Thanks much for that info. I am on a second dealer now as the first was was useless. The problem I guess is that they can not seem to duplicate the problems with the gas gauge. They say that the BCM shows accurate gas for what the gauge is reading. They did replace the Idle Air Control valve. We'll see if that works. What year is your Pac? I have a 2005 and many of the issues I am being told is for the 2004.
  • maxmommaxmom Member Posts: 62
    I have a June 2004 (built for me)FWD with 41K miles and have experienced this noise since the beginning. I call it a ping. My husband says it sounds as if it is "burning too rich" or the fuel mix is not right. I have had it into the dealer numerous times to no avail, but find that if I crank up the XM loudly enough . . . I don't hear it. My mileage is and has always been about 17.5 for the around town that I do. It will break 20 on the interstate.

However, I have a new issue that XM won't camouflage. There has always been a slight thump or bump when going over a speed bump. It has now become a full blown creaking that sounds suspension related and is driving us crazy. I'm having it looked at later this week when I take it in for a door switch module replacement. I'm just hoping my Powertrain warranty covers it.
    I have posted in the past, and have had a few problems. Chrysler, and the service department have done everything in their power to please me. I didn't buy the car from the dealer I take it to for service. I have speed bumps where I live right now, but have never had any clunking. Now mind you, I go over the speed bumps at 10 miles an hour, I have had many cars, and yes my 1982 Caddy was more comfortable, and would take speed bumps at 50 mph, with no joltting....sorry, not even Cadillac makes a car like that anymore. This car, is the nicest car I could ever expect to own. Like everything today, it will have problems, thats why I purchased an extended warranty. I would imagine, automobiles are a lot like computers, and humans, sometimes, they start their day not feeling too well. Cars like people, will often treat you, the way they are treated. No one had ever used, "_..__ ___" at me, but then I have used it toward them either.
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    First of all I love my Pac. The clunking sound that most people complain about does not happen on speed bumps. It's at low speed with road imperfections (lil bumps) that kinda rattles the right side suspension. Funny part is I can hear it everytime it occurs but nobody else notice anything. 1 of 9 did say something is kinda loose upfront. My wife that rides with me almost everyday could'nt hear a thing. Other than that, I would buy another PAC in a heartbeat. I just acquired a selecttive hearing talent and sometimes forget that it's there or just crank the radio up a bit.
  • wkb2513wkb2513 Member Posts: 2
    My Pacifica was towed again last week. They replaced the jet on the fuel pump and told me it was good to go, yeah good to go all right, I made it 87 miles on a full tank before the car died again. As if this wasn't enough the rental they provided me had a faulty transmission and left my wife stranded the same day the pacifica was towed. Can you imagine waiting for 2 tows in one day. At least I'm learning patience...
    Chrysler has really been very nice to us through all this, but when is "enough enough"? I bought the car for my Wife and she really loves the pacifica. She doesn't want anything else. I'm not sure what legal recourse is available as I'm in NJ and the lemon law is only available for the fist 2 years. I really dont want to go down that road, but what should I do? Sorry for venting, but I know you guys have been in my shoes.
  • grugergruger Member Posts: 15
    :shades: http://www.nhtsa.gov/

The more you call about the same problem very one else is having, the more it will force Chrysler to do a Recall on the product to fix it for free or probably get your money-back.
    I had the jet fuel pump replaced and got not less than 10 miles and the gas gauge went down to E and had no acceleration in left turns but the RPMs shot up to 6000. So I called the dealer back and they too tired to tell me that was a transmission problem. I went to a different 5 star dealer they could not duplicate my problem so I went in and drove the car with the foreman as I new exactly when this happens. He said that it seems as though while in a left turn the left fuel pump was not delivering fuel to the right side of the tank. When I picked the car up I again test drove it with the foreman and we could duplicate the problem. So hopefully they fixed it. But becareful because the first dealer that I went to three time, who replace that jet fuel pump, in the paper they said it was left but with chrysler they said it was the right fuel pump and the second dealer checked the part number and it was the pump on the right side. So I honestly do not know what part was initially replaced. The issue is that the PAC has essentially two gas tanks and two pumps. One pump feeds the engine while the other pump should transfer gas from on tank to the other. This is under investigation with the NHTSA as to why it is happen and I strongly urge you to contact them. Them investigator's name is Stephen McHenry, he is very nice and needs to hear of all these problems as his investigation may/maynot result in a recall. I have not yet gotten down to 1/3 of a tank to see if the problem is fixed. Will let you know what happens.
  • brad18brad18 Member Posts: 7
    For the last month I have had repeated failures of the fuel pumps. I have had to keep the tank above 3/4 full for the past 2 weeks while the dealership tries to find a pump in western Canada. Called the service reps in Windsor Ont. and was told that there is no TSB out for the problem and even it there was I am not entitled to see them. I also asked if anyone else had this same problem and was told due to privacy laws of people contacting Chrysler I would not be allowed to have that info either. This would be kind of funny but I am out $800 because the mileage on my Pacifica is 3000 over the warranty. Can anyone tell me if there is a TSB out on this or how I can find out how many failures are recorded. I cannot fault the techs working on the car but as far as customer service is concerned at Chrysler dealerships and Windsor HQ they leave a great deal of room for improvement. Again if anyone can send info regarding the tracking of this problem please let me know. Thanks.
    I am on record as reporting this on this web site back in June. I came across this website by accident. In my research, I found that the fuel pumps manufactured for this car at the end of 2004 were all defective. You can read about this by doing a Google Search, as I did. Many of these pumps are still being used. Case in point, mine was replaced three times. This has been reported, but it will be months or years before any recall will ever be done, and that is probably only if the defective ones are not taken off the market. The only way to avoid footing the bill in the future, is by getting an extended warranty from someone. I love my automobile....but I know it is a only a matter of time before it will need service AGAIN!
  • lemonlemonlemonlemon Member Posts: 3
    RUN FAST! Although the Pacifica does have lots of bells and whistles, the headaches are not worth the money. Chrysler does not help with problems as you can see on the forum. Our local service dealer wrote up my work sheets to look like each time I brought it in was for something different. It has been the same clunk/cracking noise all five visits and they can't fix it, just keep stabbing in the dark putting different parts on it and hoping I'll disappear. Hired a lawyer who informed me of the way they write service orders. Must have been trained by Chrysler. I will NEVER buy a Chrysler product ever again. :lemon: :lemon: :mad:
  • grugergruger Member Posts: 15
    For those who are NEW, My wife PAC 2005 AWD, chrome rims, LEASED have a "gas gauge" and "turn to left stalling" problem which will not go away.
    :blush: The dealership call us back and will fix the stalling problem. Other people came in with the same problem. Obviously, its huge because they have a 3 week to a month waiting period for the parts and they are going to fix it for free, 0 dollars.
    :D I guess they will handle one customer at a time to figure out the problem foremost before making a recall.
    :shades: I guess we are the try-outs for you angry owners, fare not the rest of you will get your due time.

Will update you further.
This discussion has been closed.