Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

1323334353638»

Comments

• arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    Thanks,

--Arrie--
    Hey primetime2628,

If you ever fix a car engine you will understand why I'm asking about this rpm limit.

--Arrie--
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    The purpose it to save the transmission in case one were to shift from P or N to a drive gear over 2500rpm.

Even increasing RPM for more alternator current (jump startign another vehicel) should not need more than 2000rpm.

So, what's the point to revving in neutral on with an automatic tranny?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    what's the point to revving in neutral on with an automatic tranny?

i already said its not necessary.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• primetime2628primetime2628 Member Posts: 21
    Ok arrie, I do know the reason, I was expressing more the how. And yes I've rebuilt engines, carbs, and most other parts of a car. Safetys are built in all over. I guess that did come across as a little sarcastic.....sorry.
    Just looking for some answers on my audio problem....thought I'd chime in on this one.
    :blush:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    revving up an engine in neutral to high rpm can be quite risky...the engine has "load" (it's not doing any work) and at higher rpm the forces acting on the pistons are tremendous. So a rev limiter that prvents accidentally winding up the engine in neutral is a good thing.
    A lot of noise for nothing!

Did you guys think about what I wrote in my post?

I was just asking if the behavior that I explained is what it is supposed to do.

I already guessed that it is correct behavior obviously to protect engine from unnecessary high revolution speeds. Just wanted to run it by to make sure others do the same.

This is the first car I have owned that has this feature though. Usually it is just the upper limit at around 5000 - 6000 rpm, if any.

And yes, high engine speed causes high forces on piston, push rod and crankshaft and it does not really matter if there is load on the engine or not. It is just a matter of the engine speed.

--Arrie--
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Please go to the Chrysler Pacifica group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.
This discussion has been closed.