Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• trarontraron Member Posts: 29
    From what I have read in several posts there have been software updates to the PAC since yours was built. Your car was built almost a year ago. I suggest that you contact the dealer again or call the Chrysler at 800-992-1997 for action. He must be aware of these type of intermittent issues.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    I'm fairly sure that the computer holds info from the last xxx starts. My Intrepid was in the shop and the computer showed the condition of the car for the last 250 times that the engine was started. Gives the tech a really good view of the car's health. I'd be very surprised if the Pacifica does any less.
  • laurheislaurheis Member Posts: 57
    Took the car to the dealer today. Turns out they have another customer with the same exact problem, EXACT. Other customer took the car in while having the problem - Chrysler service could not figure out what was wrong. The computer has not logged a problem with our car - that was the first thing they checked when we had it in two days after purchase. They are sending a tech out to figure out the problem - but not until the 26th of February. We were told by the service department that we must limp along with our broken car until then, since the problem is intermittent. The car is defective. Anyone know of a good attorney in the San Diego area?
    I would call Chrysler and make a lot of noise. Isn't it funny that now they have another customer with the same problem...
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    If I were you, I would run away from that dealer as fast as possible and find a reputable one.

If not, you may want to enlighten the dealer as to the provisions of the "Premium Care" policy that came with your car. This is a Chrysler plan which provides for a free loaner car when the car is in for scheduled service or warranty work. Granted your problem is not a scheduled service or warranty appointment, but any dealer worth a hoot should be bending over backward to help you solve the problem especially since you just bought the vehicle from them a couple of days ago.

Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel to get the oil. I would either find another dealer, or immediately call the dealer in question and have a little chat with the General Manager then call Chrysler corporate and file a complaint.

It just infuriates me that Chrysler will allow dealers to continue with their Old-School method of customer disservice that I hear about from some dealers and all the while they are trying to move the entire Chrysler image upscale.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Just happened to look at EARLY posts, mention the info in post #4 ..... sounds like a possible match ... with a fix to tell the dealer about. ??
    I found that earlier post last night. My husband was supposed to share that information with the service department this morning, but I am not sure if he did. I'll find out and write back.

Thank you all for your input. I have been driving Hondas since 1989, and have not had a problem worth writing about. Now, less than 500 miles into my American experience, I am totally stressed out!
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    what are you talking about 3.5 knock problem ??

unfortunately the fix of changing out the lower front steering control arm did not resolve my loose rattle in the front right suspension area. but its not major enough of an annoyance to keep trying to track down. I guess just hope someone else finds an issue with the suspension that comes up and another solution to try :)
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I have been driving an Acura since 2002 and got transmission replaced twice. How'bout them apples?

2 days? In Florida you can return a car back to the dealer within the first 3 days of ownership. Even if you simply don't like it.
    Do you have any regulations like this in your state?
    In California, as I understand it, there is no cooling off period with automobiles. Once you sign the contract, the only way it can be broken is if the seller agrees to take the car back, or if there has been fraud.

Our three days were up on Wed., and the car did not exhibit the problem that day, so we probably would not have cancelled the contract then even if we could. Everyone was acting like the first time was just a fluke, and we bought it, hook, line, and sinker. The second incidence happened on Thursday, which told us that this was indeed a serious problem (and it happened while my husband was driving.)

The car is currently parked in the Chrysler service department. We have told them that we do not want the car back - period. Our faith in the reliability of this car has been squashed. The other car that they have worked on with our car's problem has had a LAUNDRY list of items replaced, and they are not sure that it has been corrected. We do not want that - our position is that a $39K car (yes, this is the luxobarge) should not have this serious of a problem with 400 miles on the odometer. Of course, everyone at the dealership has assured us that they will be able to figure out what the problem is...My husband also requested that someone from Chrysler corporate contact him to discuss cancellation of the contract and our rights as consumers. They did not call today, so now it will be Monday at the earliest. We are also sending a letter to Chrysler to document all of this garbage. So now we just tick off the days (we need 30 calendar days of non-use due to repair) to invoke the Lemon Law. What a bummer.

I filed a compaint with the NHTSA (thanks to info from someone on this group) so I feel that we have done everything we can for now. And we are back in the Accord (which we did not trade in, thank God, because they wanted to totally rape us on trade-in!)

My mom drives an Acura, and she has put WAY more money into that car than I have into my Accord - she feels your pain!
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Hey if you got the time spend it at the busiest times on the sales floor talking really loud about your problems and how they are not getting resolved,,,,you will get quick attention..
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I think that if you "hammer" it you will get significantly less than 15 mpg.

our results obviously differ. I have tried driving it hard (not as hard as I would a sports sedan, mind you, because I am respectful of the limitations of a 2-ton+ SUV) and have gotten between 16-17mpg. When I drive it easy, I get near 18. When I "nurse" it as if I'm afraid of the road, I get over 18. This is all around town. When we drive our normal 70-80% highway, mixed in with the local streets we need to drive, we get 19'ish.

I'm sorry you are experiencing poor mileage, but, as you can see, that is not the norm, by any means.

by the way, the weight of mine is actually from the sticker on the car itself (on the door jamb). The weights on Chrysler's site and here on Edmunds are for the base version of each model. Each option adds weight. I do believe mine is actually closer to 4800, as a matter of fact.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have had my '01 Intrepid R/T since 11/01, not too enamored with my "dealer". 3 years are now passed, went to my "new" dealer in a different state with a problem. OMG, they were fantastic! No charge .... there really was no problem, they kept it for the day to check it, put me in a new Pacifica, (out of warranty!!) still no charge! I ordered a new Pacifica! Everything except sunroof. So, with all of the posts here, I feel good about my choice, especially when you (I) consider this dealer!
  • sutton4sutton4 Member Posts: 34
    Automotive News is running a page 1 story today on the Pacifica production being halted due to bad engine parts

"Bad bolts interrupt Pacifica output"

"The Chrysler group is determining how many 2004 Chrysler Pacificas have faulty connecting rod engine bolts and whether any of the vehicles reached dealerships or customers. "
  • rubberfuzzrubberfuzz Member Posts: 8
    I have been experiencing problems with my memory seat not working. Sometimes the controls will not work. It like their not plugged in. When we drive the car in condition the computer say the memory seat is disabled and a chime goes off. We can turn the car off and on until the seat response to the controls. Does anyone know of a fix?

Drives like a dream. Great car.
  • rickstratrickstrat Member Posts: 25
    The memory seat function is disabled when the car is not in park. Can you imagine being pushed into the steering wheel while driving at 70mph because you accidentally hit your wife's 4'10" preferred seat position?
  • alisacalisac Member Posts: 19
    Every once in a while, I get the following message on my EVIC display:

Channel A ready to transmit

Anyone know what this means????

Thanks,

Alisa
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    sure you're not in a space ship ??? Alien transmissions ???
    Cute :-)

Nope - not in a spaceship.
    The only *explanation* I can come up with is that it has something to do with my dvd video system (which has a channel A and B) and since it has happened a few times when I pull into my garage, perhaps it is picking up the signal from my wireless network at home..??!!??

But maybe I am TOTALLY off-base....

Just trying to make sense of it...
  • alltorkalltork Member Posts: 13
    Not many of these actually made to customers - the production facility stores about 10,000 engines - thank god
    when I push my garage door button on the roof console it says transmitting A (for the left button) - this is your homelink system.... are you using the built in garage door opener buttons?
    Yes - that is IT! It is my homelink system that is creating that message. I also use the first button.

I knew I'd find an answer here!
  • justinspacjustinspac Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just got my 2004 Pac two weeks ago and am very happy with it. I ordered it December 1st and it was built in January.

One snag though.... I ordered it with the Intermezzo stereo and DVD/CD changer, but no video screen, intending to add aftermarket LCD headrest displays. I purchased wireless headphones and remote via E-bay. The remote does seem to control the stereo. However, I'm unable to hear any audio through the headphones. I tried the same headphones and remote on a 2004 Town & Country and they worked great.

Can anyone help??

Also, thanks to everyone on this board. Your comments greatly influenced my decision to go ahead and purchase a Pac
    When you put on the headphones, does the headphone icon appear on the 6 CD/DVD display screen on your dash? I turn my headphones on, and the LED light on the headphones is red. I then press the headphone button on the remote control - and the headphone icon appears on the dash, but is flashing. Then I have to press the power button on the remote (dunno why - but that is the necessary combination of buttons)- and the headphone icon on the dash goes solid and the LED light on the headphones turns green when the signal is picked up. Occasionally we have to hit the scan button to change channels to clear up the signal.

I have the video system as well, but the above should work for strictly audio too. Good luck, I hope it works.

Alisa
  • drstephdrsteph Member Posts: 3
    So I was just about to buy one the other night when I cooled my jets, read the discussion board, and saw the above post about the connecting bolt issues. Rats!!!!

since you can't link to the auto news article without a subscription, has anyone else heard anything about this issue? I probably wouldn't buy the car now until I feel its been resolved.

Too bad... thought the pacifica was a perfect blend of reasonableness in an otherwise unreasonably expensive market.
    The engine issue should be a reason to buy. They have found a problem, wouldn't sell more until the problem was resolved, soooooo there should be no problem for you if you are ordering. Some of the cars on the lot may be suspect, but order one and you'll know it has a carefully checked engine.
    Have one on order now and its late. I suspect that is why.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Look for one on the lot made from Aug 2003 thru Nov 2003. You should be fine.
    I've been on order since 01/28/04 and just got word that the status changed from c to d. They SAY that means it's going down the line. I think it sat in limbo because of that engine issue. can't wait, Magnesium, all options except "plastic" chrome and moonroof. Never liked loss of headroom and never ever opened 'em, so I didn't order it!
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I stopped at my local dealer yesterday to try a Pacifica on for size. I was peasantly suprised to find out that it is quite comfortable for me, although it di not have a moonroof. THe salesman happened to mention that the '05's would be coming in about a month or so. He said they have already stopped production of the '04's. Is he confusing that with the production stoppage for the engine problems or is it true that the '05's are almost here? Does anyone have any idea what differences there are on the '05 model?
  • rickstratrickstrat Member Posts: 25
    When we were at the auto show, I noticed that the chrome wheels were now all chrome instead of just the face. The emblem in the center was all silver now instead of gold with colored ribbon. I don't know if that was an '04 build change, or the new '05 we were looking at.
  • mjedimjedi Member Posts: 1
    We got our Pacifica a week ago. It came with the 5.1 Intermezzo system, and it's not performing as advertised when it comes to DVD movies. The movies didn't sound like it was playing 5.1. I tried a Home Theater Calibration DVD, and used its speaker ID tool. I sat in the second row. The front left, center and front right speakers sounded okay, even though it sounded like they were all coming from all 3 speakers at the same time. When it tried to play through the rear left and rear right speakers, however, the sound definitely was coming from both rear speakers instead of individually. And then nothing came out of the subwoofer when the DVD played through it! The subwoofer does work when playing music and movies. I'm guessing the system is set to a pseudo-5.1, or 4-speaker setup, or even Dolby Prologic. Which part of the system decodes the Dolby Digital stream? Is there a way to check that?

My wife went to the dealer to have them look at it, and they said it was fine. They explained that a Home Theater setup is different from a setup in a car, and that is why the calibration DVD won't work in identifying speakers. I don't believe that for one second. 5.1 surround sound is 5.1 surround sound, wherever it's installed. I should go back to the dealer myself. 5.1 means 5 SEPARATE speakers and 1 subwoofer.

So, does anyone's 5.1 system work correctly?
  • tdmonkeytdmonkey Member Posts: 1
    mjedi, I was wondering the same thing: is the Pacifica system really playing 5.1 surround sound (DTS or Dolby Digital). I did not see a DTS or Dolby Digital logo in the Pacifica vehicle I test drove. However, I have seen the DTS and Dolby Digital logo in other vehicles I have test driven. So I am thinking that the Pacifica system isn't decoding DVDs using DTS or Dolby Digital. Perhaps it's a digitally processed surround sound algorithm by Infinity?

I played a DVD and it sounded very clear and the voices seemed to be coming mostly from the Center Channel speaker on the dash. I assumed it was 5.1 but I didn't pay attention to the rear speakers or sub.

Let us know what you find out about this.
  • dwbersondwberson Member Posts: 6
    i thought i remembered a post about the dealer being able to activate daylight running lights in u.s. pacificas -- but i can't find it! did i dream this, or does anyone have information on this.

tia!
    Well, it appears that our car is fixed. The dealer replaced the engine control computer and we have gone for a week without a repeat of the problem.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    are controlled by a plug-in module you can order from your dealer.
  • dwbersondwberson Member Posts: 6
    my wife is bringing our pacifica into the dealer tomorrow for something else, and we had mentioned that we would like daytime running lights...we'll see if they ordered the part, or if we'll have to tell to order the part.
  • jamesarm97jamesarm97 Member Posts: 18
    I just got a call back from customer support. She called my local Rep and he was unaware of any 'new' radios or fixes. She told me he had agreed to having another radio shop look at the speakers a few months ago (which I did and the agreed it was in the radio). I told her there were some new radios and the problem had been fixed. She said there was no TSB on it and there are no new radios. Can anyone that had their radio replaced let me know how they went about it?

If the new radio faceplates are RBH or R?? where can I find the faceplate id on the radio I have?

- James
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    I had the radio replaced a few weeks ago. It's not as bad, but I still heard the crackling noise. It only happens with CDs, both the 6 disk changer and the head unit. It also depends on the CD. It's my wife's vehicle, and she doesn't notice it. So I am not going to pusure it any further. You may try to get another radio, but don't count on it solving any problems. We also have the mirror memory problem a few people have complained about earlier. I am pretty disappointed with the electronics in Chrysler vehicles. I doubt if I will be purchacing a 300C in a couple years. :(

Bob
    Yes ask the service manager to have them ORDER you a radio with the proper code (do a search back and find the message post with the proper Radio CODE.) that code I guess appears on the unit somehow ... but you should have that model or newer. the replacement cut my crackeling by 80%.

they are supposed to be putting out a revised amp but havent heard anything on that.

I did notice a slight decrease in sound quality with the new radio. not as much punch on the base ... probably due to the reduced signal output.
    does anyone have the exact part number from your invoice that shows what I need to have daytime running lights?

also how much if you had to pay for the module

thanks
    Good news!

After two calls this week with no resolution I emailed Dieter Zetsche, the CEO of Chrylser discussing the problem and also included the messages from here. Well guess what, this morning I received another call from the same person I talked to twice and she said they just released a TSB #8104 last night (the same day I emailed Chrysler) for this fix. It will be put out on March 9th. She said it will replace the Radio and possibly the Amp. The radio has distortion mainly from the tweeters on home copied CD's and newer CD's. Let's hope this thread will disappear soon!

- James Armstrong
    TSB# 8104 for Crackling in Tweeters, March 9th
    jamesarm97,

What email address dod you use for Dieter Zetsche?
  • aviateaviate Member Posts: 31
    I have played a few DVD-A disks and most work. If the disk has a complex menu structure and you do not have the display it can be difficult to get it to play. I have tried 1 pure DTS disk and it did not work at all.

As far as using the calibration DVD, I have never heard that there is a difference between home systems and autos. I would guess that the dealer really does not know the answer and is making it up along the way. If you know of anyone with one of the new Infiniti's with the Bose setup, you may try the calibration DVD in that vehicle and see how it sounds. Being in the home theater business, I can tell you that if I had a setup that combined channels and didn't use the sub woofer, I would be trying to figure out what was wrong.
    Good luck
    aviate
    my rattle is like mybird and larrwh and I thought Alltork experienced. its not when turning but when going over alot of small bumps at medium speed (say over 20 mphs) in a row. the suspension sounds like something is lose. like you have a heavy metal ball in a padded wooden box and shake it. its a muffled rattle sound.

I dont hear anything when turning or moving slowly. Its not a transfer case problems in this case, its a suspension problem upfront :-(

oh - Still looking for the part number on that daytime running light module (please) :)
    I have a similar problem. I don't remember it when I bought the car. Maybe I was just too excited. It seems really stiff when I go over bumps at slow speeds and there is a dull rattle. Sounds like it is coming from the suspension.

Another note on the TSB for the Radio crackling noise. It is not exactly 8104. It has some zeros missing from it but the dealer was able to look it up.
  • boblablawboblablaw Member Posts: 1
    My Pacifica has about 7000km on it, and the digital dispay in the instrument panel has stopped working (the display that shows gas mileage, tire pressure etc). The dealer is stumped and contacted Chrysler engineering, who suggested replacing the body controller. That was tried today, but didn't fix the problem. They are going to replace the entire instrument panel next.
      Also of note is that the fuel line clip required for the recall has been on back-order for at least a couple of weeks, despite the fact that stock should probably have been provided to the dealer in advance.
      Anyways, i'm starting to get disgruntled.
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    Mine was just replaced at 14K miles. First the information display went out. I took the car in and they said the display unit was fried and needed to be replaced so they ordered the part. I took the car home and found the Nav system no longer worked either. When the part came in everything was fixed. They said the display took out the Nav system. ( I think they did it, but it doesn't matter now as it all works).

It was just the display unit that died... nothing else. Don't let them go crazy!
  • abhinavabhinav Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I was reading the owners manual it said that the recomended fuel is 89 Octane but you can also use 87. With the gas prices as high as they are do you think there would be any reason why Chrylser would recomend 89... are there any advanatages of using 89 over 87
    The Chrysler salesman who sold us our Pacifica told us that the car used 87 fuel. We were not given an Owner's Manual with our car - took a month of going back and forth with our dealership "customer service" staff and an inept Chrysler Customer Assistance group to finally get our manual, but that's another story...
    So for about 2 weeks we were using the 87. We found with the 87 that we had a lot of knocking with acceleration, and switched to 89. The knocking went away.
This discussion has been closed.