Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended Warranties

Comments

• fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    Do you mean Greenfield Mass?? I can't find a Toyota dealer in Deerfield MA

Fred
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Maybe Deerfield MI
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    There isn't a Deerfield MI as far as I (a Mich resident) know of.
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    I'm sorry. You're correct. It's Greenfield, Mass.
  • rvinsonrvinson Member Posts: 1
    Thank you! You & Mechanicsville Toyota just saved me $973.00. I'm in shock & thrilled. You should be on commission with them.
    Thanks again! RV
  • wenggwengg Member Posts: 3
    Dear all,

I really need some advise on buying an extended Warranty. I just brought a 2002 toyota camry LE ( 4cyl. 2.4 liter) with 9,100 miles on it. Will that be a good choice for me to buy the warranty or save the bucks for the future "wear and tear" problems :confuse: . The dealer gave us "90 days or 3000 miles" limited warranty for this car with $100 deducible fees per repair. Thank you.

wengg
    I am sorry for the typing error that posted for the last message.

The correct mileage should be 91,000 not 9,000. Please advise .

Thank you.

wengg
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You didn't say whether it would a Toyota warranty nor how much it would cost.

tidester, host
    Thank you for your reply, tidester. I browsed an online warranty, the one recommended by edmunds. It might cost at least 1,300 dollars for the "five years or 100,000 miles" condition. Is that worth for me to get this warranty? My friends discouraged me do so because they believe it's kind of wasting money. Please advise. Thank you.

Wengg
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Only you can decide whether it's worth it. Speaking from a strictly personal perspective, I would likely go for an extended warranty - with Toyota.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

tidester, host
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "Only you can decide whether it's worth it. Speaking from a strictly personal perspective, I would likely go for an extended warranty - with Toyota.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?"

With 91k miles he will be unable to purchase a Toyota backed warranty.
  • jorgeorgejorgeorge Member Posts: 22
    Not sure if the above threads were in regard to a new car or a used vehicle but...
    Yesterday I picked up a new Rav4 4x4 4cyl and they offered the Platinum Extra Care Warranty, 7 years, including the Premium Auto Care Prepaid Maintenance program for $1480. I have until the end of the month to get this. After Aug the prices are separate and more expensive.
    Does anyone know if this is a good thing to have or not?
    Thanks
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Save your money. Chances are good that any service contract you buy with that kind of mileage is going to end up useless. and expensive. As said above, a Toyota backed plan does not exist for your high-miler.

The 90 day/3000 mile service contract is probably a basic powertrain only contract. Unless your engine or trans blows, it'll be useless, too. Chances are, if you have problems in the first 3 months that would be covered, the car already has warning signs that would have prevented you from buying the thing. You did have your favorite mechanic look at it before you bought it, right? ;)

Your best bet: take care of your new wheels and put money back each month for future repairs.
  • ariezariez Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know anything about guardian warranty corp?...are they any good?....
    Jorge:

You should be able to pick up a 7 year/75,000 mile warranty via Toyota of Greenfield,Mass. for $600. I don't know if they offer the prepaid Maintenance package as well. They were very professional and prompt in my recent dealings with them.
    eros,
    thanks for the heads up
    I just tried Toyo of Greenfield a couple of times and left 1 message
    I'd like to see if they get back to me soon
    thanks
  • fsmskfsmsk Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased a 2005 Toyota with a salvage title and I am looking to purchase a extended warranty for this Toyota.

Anyone have any company names that do extended warranties for cars with salvage title.

Anyone have any suggestions on car moving companies? Looking to move a car about 1000 miles east cost to midwest?

Thank you.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    An extended warranty for a vehicle with a salvage title? I seriously doubt any company would touch that with a 10 foot pole.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have never heard of a warranty company that will warranty a salvage car...
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Can someone point me to some of these sites that give good prices for a warranty on the Highlander Hybrid Ltd AWD w/NAV?

What is you opinions of getting one, and what level, for this car? What about this maintenance plan I hear about?
    I will be picking up my car later this week, so any input that I can check out ahead of time will be very appreciated.

FYI - I drive around 12-15,000 miles a year, although that may change in 3 years after retirement (higher) or if I get a second car(lower - convertible for summer).

Thanks in advance.
    I'd pick up a 7 year, 100,000 mile Platinum warranty. As I mentioned earlier, I looked at several sites which provide discounted Toyota factory warranties; I just purchased a RAV4 in Boston on 8-1-06. The BEST pricing available was through Toyota of Greenfield, Mass. I can attest to their promptness and professionalism.

Good Luck,
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks,

Got a great price from them!
    eros,

I just got off the phone with Greenfield, Mass about the extended warranty and the best number he could give me with a 7 Year, 100K, 0 Deductible, Comprehensive, was $1334.00 and that didn't include Toyota's Premium Auto Care Prepaid Maintenance 4 year.
    The dealership where I purchased the Rav 4 a couple of weeks ago offered both warranties at $1480.

Anybody, anywhere got a better deal and are these extended warranties worth it?

thanks
  • fimo_sfimo_s Member Posts: 14
    I just got a 2000 Toyota Avalon XL W/73000m.in very good condition.Was offered an extended warranty QualityGuard+Plus Administered by Nissan North America Inc backed by Nissan Extended Service Corp.for 2 years W/24000m.
    for $1200.I know Toyota has good realibility reputation.Should I consider to buy this warranty or put the money aside for future exp.? Thank you all in advice for your input.
  • slc9aslc9a Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey and purchased the Honda Care extended warranty- for way too much $$, I realized after looking on these boards. I started looking into it more after I put the van on the insurance, and was offered their mechanical breakdown insurance, which seems to be the same as an extended warranty, for a much lower price. I believe I could still cancel the HondaCare and go with Geico, though I am afraid it might be a big hassle with the dealer....and some seem to think it's good to stay with the factory backed warranty? Thank you for your feedback.
    Mechanical Breakdown coverage and HondaCare service contract coverage are way different. Get copies of both contracts and read thoroughly. Notice words like 'wear and tear' and 'breakdown'. There's a reason why Geico is so cheap-it's in the contract.
    Please help me with advice, ref. to message #1586 of 1588.
    Thanks
  • carguy3500carguy3500 Member Posts: 11
    I WORK FOR A CHRY DEALERSHIP IN WASHINGTON STATE AND I KNOW THAT YOU CAN TAKE YOUR HONDA TO ENY DEALER AND HAVE IT WORK ON WITH NO MONEY OUT OF POCKET MOST OF THE TIME WITH GEICO YOU HAVE TO PAY THEN GET RENBURESED WITH GEICO AFTER A HALSEL OF GETTING IT APROVED YOURSELF THE DEALERS ARE TIRED OF WORK WITH THESE WARR COM. THAT TAKE FOREVER TO PAY SO THERE NOT IT MAY BE MORE MONEY BUT TAKE ADVICE FROM EXPERT WELL WORTH IT IF YOU WERE TO BUY A AFTER MARKET WARR. THE ONLY ONE TO BUY IS CALLED CNA
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, but....before you get all excited about the previous post....I suggest you go with "ONLY" the OEM Toyota warranty. Sounds to me that we have a free advertiser for the Auto Club.(buyer beware)
  • easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    I just sold my 99 Aurora that was covered with a Warrantybuynet warranty. The dealership where I had the car repaired from time to time never had one problem getting paid. There was one minor issue with a sunroof repair that was needed. They originally said it wasn't covered but when I called to say it wasn't excluded in my comprehensive contract they said "our mistake. It is covered". Their are some hoops that you have to go through to make sure the contract is transferrable (one time to a private purchaser) like having all your maint. receipts (which I keep anyway). But I know that being able to advertise my car with a 100k warranty and maint. records helped sell the car in less than one week. I am considering buying another one from them (depending on expense) for my 2002 Audi TT I just purchased.
    What work did you have done? What mileage?

Does the service contract read 'Warrantybuynet', or another company?

How much time/mileage is left on the contract?
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    I have a Volvo "VIP" extended warranty on my 2001 V70 - terms are 84 months or 100,000 miles and a $100 per visit deductible. I took my car to my Volvo dealer with just over 60,000 miles with complaints of (1) a knocking sound in the suspension and (2) an oil leak. As to (1), the dealer found broken sway bar end links and a broken upper torque mount, which they fixed under the warranty, and as to (2) the invoice state "could not verify oil leak source at this time. Cleaned off the oil from the side of the block. Customer to return at later date to try to find the source of the leak." When I picked up my car, I paid the $100 deductible. I returned two weeks later as instructed, and after 5 weeks with my car and arguments between the dealer and the warranty company (which is not Volvo, but an independent subsidiary of Ford), I finally got my car back yesterday apparently fixed after completely disassembling my engine, replacing a "viscous seal" and putting it back together. To my great annoyance, they charged me another $100 deductible. Had heated conversation with warranty company, and they insist it is a seperate visit and will not waive the second deductible. Of course, my point is that both problems were reported in the same visit, and the second visit was required for diagnosis of the problem and in essence was part of the same repair. Am I off base? They do not seem to be budging - $100 is not the end of the world, I hate being nickel and dimed when I paid $2200 for this supposedly "Volvo" certified warranty.
    I purchased 2000 Toyota Avalon XL w/73000 miles in good condition.Was offered an extended warranty: Quality Guard plus.Administered by Nissan North America,inc and backed by Nissan extended service corp. for $1200.
    Should I consider to buy it or not? Need an advice.
    Going by the strict definitions in the lease, a visit is a visit, thus an extra $100. But I agree with you though, it is really picky.
    Hmmm, being backed by Nissan sounds pretty good. Why not call the Toyota dealer where you could take it for warranty claims and see what they think? If they honor it and $1200 gives you peace of mind, then go for it.
  • rsb8rsb8 Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine, whom I'm trying to help, is having the exact same problem. in addition, the insurer (toyota) asked the mechanic to open the engine to check the source of the problem and now they want to charge her for all the repairs and not cover a penny of it.

what happened to you? any advice greatly appreciated.
    "I just got off the phone with Greenfield, Mass about the extended warranty and the best number he could give me with a 7 Year, 100K, 0 Deductible, Comprehensive, was $1334.00"

George, that figure seems too high to me. I purchased a 7 year, 75,000K, 0 deductible, Platinum warranty for a RAV4 4WD for only $600. I didn't inquire about the prepaid maintenance plan.

eros
  • tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Purchasing a Mercedes Benz and the dealer talked me into a third party warranty (EZ Care) instead of MB warranty. I have 60 days to cancel and I am already thinking the original factory one is best. Any thoughts? Why wouldn't the dealer recommend the factory extended warranty? She claimed factory warranty wasn't refundable but I somehow doubt there wouldn't be claims!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    The reason the MB dealer sold you a third party warranty????? Very simple answer....The dealer makes MORE MONEY on that particular warranty than the OEM warranty.The original OEM warranty is always the best way to go if you are set on purchasing a warranty.
    I never had a MB, but if you intend to keep it beyond the original warranty, from what I have read about the cost to repair MB's, than, yes, it would probably pay you to get the OEM warranty.
    I have a 2005 RAV4 (9700 Miles) with a salvage title and I am looking for after market Warranty for it. Any suggestions? I am thinking about talking to the local Toyota dealer. I don't have a problem with them looking over the RAV4 - it turned out great after the repair. Where should I look for a after market warranty for the Toyota if the dealer says they can't give me one??? anyone???
    I have a 2005 RAV4 (9700 Miles) with a salvage title and I am looking for after market Warranty for it. Any suggestions? I am thinking about talking to the local Toyota dealer. I don't have a problem with them looking over the RAV4 - it turned out great after the repair. Where should I look for a after market warranty for the Toyota if the dealer says they can't give me one??? anyone???

I would cancel the third party warranty and purchase the Mercedes Benz Warranty. I have a 2006 Toyota 4Runner and purchased a Toyota warranty because I have read some bad stories on this web site about third party warranties for New Cars.
  • tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    I went ahead and cancelled the third party warranty. Thanks for the advice!
    I don't believe there are any service contract companies that will cover a vehicle with a salvaged title.
    No company in their right mind will warranty a vehicle with a salvage title. Especially a late model vehicle like a 2005. It had to have been in a serious wreck to be totalled out.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    dealer talked me into a third party warranty (EZ Care) instead of MB warranty.

I am not familiar with MB ext warranty but I can tell you that easy care isnt the typical aftermarket warranty...easy care is owned by Ford and they back the factory labeled ext warranties for quite a few automakers....ford, honda, acura, volvo, jaguar, mazda etc.....

I always suggest that people only buy factory backed warranties...just wanted to clarify who easy care is and who backs them. Its not like an ext warranty that is backed by some mysterious third world nation. ;)
  • iriemoniriemon Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2003 Acura CL Type S. It currently has 49,500 miles on it and falls just outside the VIN range of affected vehicles in Acura's A/T recall. I am thinking about buying an extended warranty thru Acura as I am a little concerned that the A/T issue may not be isolated to the identified 2003 VIN's. Any thoughts...good idea, bad idea?? Any and all comments welcome...

Thanks!
  • johnnycamarojohnnycamaro Member Posts: 2
    I see validity in your point I had an extended warranty on my maxima and I've only had to use it once.
  • cypresstxcypresstx Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Powershield contract form Warranty Direct and found out today that they DO NOT cover normal wear and tear. Now I purchased the Powershield, power train only coverage, for a high mileage pick up truck, 149k miles - 5yr/100K coverage, then found out they don't cover normal wear and tear. I had a long discussion with Robert a cliam supervisior about this issue. And after talking with him, my feeling was that I would be fighting every claim I would make with them. Now, since I had not made a claim I was able to get a refund ( I hope to see it).
  • ekueku Member Posts: 1
    GEICO coverage is the best thing happened to me. I insured Chevy Impala 2000 for seven years, which turned to have a persistent coolant leak problem and I had it fixed several time for the duration of the coverage for $250 deductible. It costed me $14 or so a month to have coverage (so about $170 a year - $1,190 for 7 years). Each repair bill would be about $2,000. I am not sure if GM even covers for seven years. So if you are buying a car from GM, Ford or similar kind with history of mechanical problems -- GEICO is a MUST.

IMPORTANT -- You can go to ANY repair shop - not necessarily dealers (who might be the one who sold you the lemon in the first place).

ALSO: The process is very easy - they approved most of the repairs on the phone with the shop and pay them using their credit card. If dealers are lazy and do not want to help with the processing - find another one who can - again you DO NOT have to go to a dealer.

BOTTOM LINE - Go for GEICO
  • eichpaeichpa Member Posts: 1
    I am pretty sure that no one will offer a warranty on a salvage vehicle. That vehicle was totalled out by an insurance company for collision or fire, theft, vandalism, hail, water etc. Even once repaired some states will not give you a "clean"- unbranded title. Most likely the warranty company will do a CarFax report and see it was once branded as salvage anyhow. Sorry, on salvage vehicles you get what you pay for and nothing more. But if you DO find a place, let me know.