Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended Warranties

Comments

• joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    If it was a good idea when you bought it what makes it a bad idea now?
  • newmedianewmedia Member Posts: 15
    when i was getting this car, i wanted peace of mind and thought that i was getting a total protection on future repaires less wear and tear items.

i was told that this was a best nissan extended warranty deal which was same as their GOLD preferred but its not..

the gold extended warranty covers over 1600 parts while pre owned "wrap" covers 1150 parts and most major items around 500 parts are already covered by nissan cirtified preowned car program.

i like to have peace of mind but its not what i was told , which is not same as GOLD extended warranty.

i am asking your opion if $1200 is still a good investment on this car that already has nissan s 100K mile power train warranty.
    OK I get it now.

I will tell you like I tell customers every day, its not a close it is the truth.

If you buy warranty and don't use it you will feel like your threw money away, on the other hand let it cover one item to the tune of $2K-10K and you will buy them for the rest of your life.

I for one am a strong believer in them, I have seen them save people thousands of dollars over the years, and I refuse to sell a family or close friend a used car with out one.
  • newmedianewmedia Member Posts: 15
    i know what you mean..the real question is do i feel lucky..

with nissan warranty of 36K/3 yr coverage , di these other non power train parts do indeed break?

murano is very good car and i do understand cost of repair if it needed.. :sick:
    Look at it like this, you don't have to answer the question here just answer it to yourself.

If tomorrow you had to come up with $2500-$3500 for a major repair/emergency of any kind could you do it with out causing financial hardship for you or your family?

The answer to that question will tell you whether or not you need to keep the warranty.
  • candyscandys Member Posts: 2
    I need to know how to contact olympicare
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Sorry, can't help much-no website as far as I can Google.

There should be a phone number or two on your contract. Try using different routes on their voicemail to try to get a different person if you keep getting the same jerk.

If the phone numbers on your contract aren't any good, I'd say you're shuxouttaluck.
    How much was it with your employee discount? Surely since you work for them you must have got one helluva deal.
    It's best to purchase your extended warranty from companies like Continental Warranty

Oh hell no.

165 Better Business Bureau complaints the past 3 years

But thanks for the info. I will be sure to tell folks about them.

google search
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's also best not to pretend you're a satisfied customer. Gotta wonder what it says about a company when they can't find any ACTUAL satisfied customers to shill for them :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lucas8lucas8 Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but I'm looking at a new Mazda3 and am wondering if the Mazda extended warranty can be purchased after I purchase the car...not too sure yet if I'd go for it.
    Also, I've noticed that Mazda's standard warranty's gone down from 4/50,000 in 2006 to 3/36,000 in 2007 and through 2008. Any quality issues that I should worry about or is it just a way to sell more extended warranties? Also, any input on this car you guys want to offer'd be appreciated.
    Lucas.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Yes you can buy the Mazda backed warranty long after the car is sold, I think up until the base warranty expires.

I have not done it, but I got quotes on my RX-8 when I was thinking of keeping it. Mazda must not have faith in the rotary rocket's longevity as the "discount Internet quotes" were sky high (compared to Honda Care prices, for example).

Dennis
  • lucas8lucas8 Member Posts: 15
    appreciate it, dennis.
  • cmc15cmc15 Member Posts: 6
    5 years ago
    I purchased an extended warranty from warrantybynet. They were recommended by Edmunds at the time. I purchased the best coverage for 7 years. I have used the program 3 times and it has always been a major hassel. They would find ways to cut the bill like telling me the parts could be purchased cheaper on line. Well iI recently went to use the warranty and when the claim was approved, they told me that I had to front the money. When I purchased the contract, they said that all claims are paid by corp. credit card. After making a few calls, I find that they want you to submit the bills and they may pay you back in 60 days. I can read thru the BS. The company is belly up and I'm screwed WARRANTYBYNET DOESNT ANSWER calls,they just have a recording. The administrator VEMECO says that Heritage is the insurance carrier and they stopped paying bills.

LETS FACE IT...THE CONSUMER IS SCREWED !!!! AND EDMUNDS SUPPORTED THEM BACK IN THE DAY BUYER BEWARE OF ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT DOESN'T COME FROM THE MANUFACTURE !!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know about "support" but you might want to check out some four year old rants about warrantybynet. You can start here: mr_gannosuke, "Warranties Backed by a Risk Retention Group" #5, 14 Jan 2004 6:52 am
    I wouldn't put the blame on Edmunds. They accept money from advertisers to keep this site running. I haven't paid a dime to be a member here (not directly, anyway), so somebody has to pay the bills. Advertising is a money thing, not an endorsement. Right now there's a Cadillac looking me in the face. Edmunds doesn't care whether or not I buy a Cadillac, they just like the $$ they get to advertise.
    You do make a good point. It sounds like you're being shafted by ole Vemeco. These house-of-cards companies always seem to fall in the long run.
    Anyone that purchased a 3rd party service contract in recent years has only themselves to blame if things go wrong. Certainly there have been enough of these companies that fail and enough horror stories about claim payments to have scared off any prospective buyer that does their homework first. The only way *I* would risk a 3rd party warranty is if the manufacturer had no extended warranty available (like BMW) and then I would likely buy from the local, servicing dealer. So at least I would have someone to shout at if the dealer claimed to be unable to fix my car under the warranty THEY sold me.

Dennis
  • cmc15cmc15 Member Posts: 6
    Dont get me wrong, I am not directly blaming Edmunds. 5 years ago when I purchased the warranty I tried to do as much research as possible. One of the modes of information that I relied on heavily was this site. I cant recall the exact wording, put it was clear to me then that Warrantybynet was more than just a sponsor of this site. I'm sure it takes advertisers to keep this up and running, but no service or person should endorse a product without a solid backround.
    I paid for my repairs 100 % out of my pocket today. I was told to FAX in my bills in to Vemeco. I asked how long to get reimbursed and was told," we dont have a time frame" I also got a call from Heritage. The guy was a total a**. He read me a prepared statement and when I stopped him to ask a question, he became even more rude and said, " I think its odd that you would stop me when I'm not done reading." Needless to say this sorry a** corporate paper pusher was not able to come up with any answers on his own so he has to read a statement like a robot. I wonder if he had to go to college to learn his profession !
    FYI... The guy at the dealership pointed something out to me tho.... he said never buy an extended warranty when you buy the car. Wait until you have about 3 months to go until the Manufactures warranty expires...and then if you think you are going to keep it, buy a warranty FROM THE DEALER.
    LIVE AND LEARN
  • miniclubmanminiclubman Member Posts: 8
    Many years ago I purchased a third party extended warranty for my Isuzu (an I-Mark Turbo hatchback!) When it came time for a repair five years later the warranty company had gone belly-up. A sympathetic Isuzu dealer cut the repair cost substantially, but I vowed then never to get taken again.
    I agree with others on this board that you should only consider an extended warranty when the car is near the end of the manufacturer's warranty, and then only purchase from the manufacturer and make certain it's not a third-party company not backed directly by that manufacturer. Personally, I'll take my chances once the car is out of warranty, or sell the car if it's been unreliable for the first few years.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Dont get me wrong, I am not directly blaming Edmunds. 5 years ago when I purchased the warranty I tried to do as much research as possible.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your extended warranty, and how much did Warrantybynet reimburse you for repairs?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • isabelalavalisabelalaval Member Posts: 51
    Just need to do my final bit of research. I never got an extended warranty for my Corolla, so this is all new to me.

I understand that an extended warranty can be beneficial, if heaven forbid, I need to make some major repairs down the road that are rather expensive. I also understand, that it's also a hit or miss whether or not I WILL need an extended warranty on a new vehicle.

My questions:

1. I know I can get the extended warranty from the F&I office when I buy the vehicle. Can I also get it at any point after, while I still I own the vehicle?

2. Is my best bet getting it from the Nissan dealership or searching online? I've read posts on finding an extended warranty that is backed by the factory / manufacturer. How do I know when that is the case?

3. For any Nissan owners, could you give me an idea of what the Nissan extended warrranty packages are, and the costs? Is it about 5% of the vehicle price?

Any info is appreciated!
  • alexs78213alexs78213 Member Posts: 1
    Be aware of them. I had my warranty bought from API. When it was time to use it, I took my Lexus to San Antonio Lexus and was informed that I will have to pay for the repair and then submit my invoice to get reimbursed and wait 90 days for the money to get here. After 90 days, I called and was given the run around till I got hold of someone. I come to find out that my money will come from an insurance company since API has a pending case of bankruptcy in court. The lady at the insurance company told me that they are not paying any claims, even if approved, till the bankruptcy case is over. It has been 8 months and I'm still waiting. I'm thinking of seeking professional legal help. These &^%* need to pay what they owe everybody.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I know exactly what you're going through as I got burned by the Warranty Gold bankruptcy. The best advice I can give you is to move on and chalk it up to lessons learned. You won't see a penny. It's all tied up in the bankruptcy courts and all perfectly legal so don't bother getting legal help.
  • candyscandys Member Posts: 2
    again, does any one have a phone number to olympicare? I lost my contract, and no luck with the dealer. Phone number please.
    I am pretty sure that they are administered by these folks.

Ethos Group

They called on me one time a few years ago and I seem to remember something about Olympic Care. They only came once though. If I had a $10 bill for every AM warranty compnay I have given the bums rush to over the years I would be retired. :D
  • doubledeckerdoubledecker Member Posts: 1
    AVOID "Warranty Direct" I have a Interstate plane through them. Bought the "Diamond Platinum" Plan. the best they had in 2001. They SUCK BIG TIME. They lie- cheat and hassel the repair facilities. They pay slowly. They always come up with an excuse NOT TO PAY! I just had work done on my Ford Truck and a repair was authorized for payment on Thursday. Guess What...I'm still waiting for them to pay the repair facility! No pay mean NO VEHICLE unless I want to pay the entire amount myself and HOPE they keep up their end of the deal! THEY SUCK! Well it's SUNDAY today and guess what else? THEY ARE CLOSED ON SUNDAY! Guess I'll be on the phone another 2 hours with their payment dept...then MAYBE they will pay the facility by closing time on MONDAY. ANOTHER DAMN day without my repaired car! WARRANTY DIRECT - SUCKS BIG TIME- AVOID THEM AT ALL COST! Get a real extended warranty from the car manufacturer. Avoid 3rd party warranties. Any more questions? Contact me at NautiLust1@aol.com!
  • boxtonboxton Member Posts: 1
    1. Yes and that's the best/cheapest time to buy the warranty. If you do what some of the stupid people here say and buy it right before the manufacturer's warranty runs out you will pay a lot more and still get the same coverage.

2. NEVER BUY A WARRANTY ONLINE OR OVER THE PHONE! Read some posts under this as to why. If you buy from the dealer you have a face to go to and not just a phone. Also Nissan's Gold Preferred Warranty is a great warranty.

3. Warranty price has nothing to do with the price of the car. If it's a AWD/4WD Murano expect between 900-1800 depending on how long/how many miles you drive.
  • homesonghomesong Member Posts: 14
    Last week I purchased a 2002 Buick LeSabre, and am looking for an Extended Warranty. Most of the posts here discourage third party warranties, but when i checked on the GM site, I was told that this vehicle would not be covered. How, then, can I get a manufacturers warranty, or will I have any option to a third party warranty? (My dealer offers a warranty, but I wasn't prepared to pay as much as they were asking. But I'm getting lost in all the "options" out there, and having second thoughts!)
    You won't find a recommendation here for anything but a manufacturer backed warranty. And if your vehicle doesn't qualify, then I guess your SOL.
  • mrburns1mrburns1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a car salesman, and I can tell you this much, if I'm within the manufacturers "bumper to bumper" warranty, then the only way to go is with the manufacturers warranty. I would only go with the "aftermarket" warranty if I was past my original bumper to bumper. As far as aftermarket warranties go, GE is the best. Keep in mind that not all warranties are accepted at all service locations. GE has the widest selection of facilities that accept them. The best advice I could give to you when purchasing ANYTHING from a dealer, is to show the salesman the same respect you expect to be shown. When I've got a customer that I like, I'll go out of my way to get them the right deal. When I get a customer who is an A-Hole, or thinks he knows more than I do, he's not going to get the same treatment. I have a very hard job, but when my customer is patient, and polite, so am I.
    Following the comments of the last poster,
    I checked out the GE site, but their policies are only available through dealers. Aaagh!
    You have a 6 year old Buick that is a recent purchase. It's just begging for the old 'preexisting condition' denial of claim. There's also the 'insufficient service history' excuse. I had a service contract company require proof of oil changes for a window regulator! Another required 6 months of service records for an engine job-knowing that the lady had only owned the vehicle in question for about 3 months.

Any contract you buy at this point will either: 1. Cost an arm and a leg or: 2. Have lousy coverage and worse service.

If you're looking to get something fixed that is broken now, good luck. That's fraud, and they can usually sniff out a cheater pretty well.
    No...definitely no fraud intent!!!
    The vehicle was thoroughly inspected before purchase,
    and I don't know of any problems.
    But you do raise some important issues
    about "preexisting conditions"
    and "insufficient service history."
    Still, it is a local one-owner car,
    and it was well maintained,
    and CarFax indicates exact dates and nature of service,
    so that SHOULD help.
    Thanks for your input.
    I may have missed it but how many miles are on the Buick?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    With 92k miles, is it really worth it to get a warranty? If the car was thoroughly inspected, i would take my chances and save that warranty money for any repairs. You are at the mileage point where things need to be replaced and I doubt any warranty will cover it.
    I'll repeat myself:

Any contract you buy at this point will either:
    1. Cost an arm and a leg
    or:
    2. Have lousy coverage and worse service.

But, hey, it's a Buick! Those suckers are tanks, seem to run forever. Just keep your well-maintained hotrod well-maintained and you'll be fine. Preventative maintenance is the best medicine. Park the $2000 you'd spend on a contract in a savings account and take care of your car.
    Thanks to the last two posters for your advice.
    You make some very good points.

The car I bought is a one-owner car (they only traded because they always trade every 5 years), has a clean CarFax record, and was religiously maintained at the dealer from which I purchased the car. And it IS a Buick - that's why I looked for it and bought it.

Because of our financial situation, I DID have to finance it for 72 months
    (even after 6 years, it will still be newer than the 1991 Olds I've been driving!),
    and with our financial history I was fortunate to get a loan with a pretty good rate.

I wish I had the $2000 to put in a savings account, but I don't.
    If I got a warranty, it would probably be through Carchex (a partner of CarFax),
    which includes Wear and Tear coverage.(I've been researching this pretty carefully, and have relied a lot on comments in this Forum). I'd have to take out a loan for that as well, but I can get one for $69/month.

I could put that $70/month in a Savings account, and hope nothing major happens
    for a long time (it IS a Buick, and probably won't). But if it did, I'd have to take out a loan anyway. The trade off is the peace of mind a warranty would help provide - at least for 36 months.

I AM seriously considering just putting about $100/month in a savings account, and hoping it will build up before I need it. But a GOOD warranty is still tempting.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    But a GOOD warranty is still tempting

That does not exist for a car such as yours. Are you serious after the last couple pages of posts about 3rd party warranties? Why would you even consider one? Why even come here to discuss your situation?

:bangs head against the wall:
    They probably could have purchased a new Scion or Kia or Hyundai or even a Yaris or something for what they paid for this boat - and it would come with a full warranty for no extra charge. Getting the new car loan rate VS used care rate results in more money to spend. Or if that is still too much - get something like a used Accord or Camry - something that is not likely to break and/or has few enough miles to qualify for a manufacturer's extended plan.

Financing something with no warranty and no money to pay for repairs is not a very good idea.

Dennis
    1. Yes, I have read almost all the posts on this siteregarding warranties.

2. I have come here because I trust the people here, and expect more respect from them than I do from the Warranty people, like the one who actually hung up on ME when I refused to put down $300 just to look at his contract!!

3. The posts here have successfully steered me away from Warranty Direct, and from ANY companies that don't explicitly cover wear and tear in their contracts and from companies that don't work with the dealer but reimburse the customer.

4. I am here because this is a major decision, and because the ONLY other person who posted a question here about Carchex never got a response.
    This company APPEARS to satisfy the concerns all the other posters have raised - wear and tear coverage spelled out in black and white in their comntract, dealing directly with the dealer, etc.

5. So I am here in part to ask what others here know about Carchex and what their experience has been.

Please don't bang your head against the wall TOO hard.
    I'm not ignorant, and I'm not trying to be a nuisance,
    but am simply seeking information and advice to make the very best and most informed decision I can.

Thank you.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The posts here have successfully steered me away from Warranty Direct

Almost went with Warranty Direct...glad I didn't.

Okay, we know who sucks. Is there ANY third party warranty company that anyone would recommend????
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Okay, we know who sucks. Is there ANY third party warranty company that anyone would recommend????

I'm sure you know the answer to your own question.
    You bought a 6 year old car with 92K miles and financed it for 6 years. And now you're looking for an after market warranty after all the recent posts about how bad they are. And you're looking for one that will cover wear and tear for such an old vehicle. That in itself should be red flag.

Can I interest you in a bridge I have for sale? It's cheap and just for you I'll let it go for a bargain. I'll also cover all repairs and maintenance as well.
    No, I'm not interested in buying a bridge,
    and I really don't care for your cynical tone.
    I've asked three times about Carchex, a partner with Carfax and Capital One,
    but you have failed to comment.
    Either in your omniscient state, you already know all about it
    and think everyone else should as well.
    Or, more likely, you've never even bothered to go to
    www.Carchex.com to check it out,
    so you could make an intelligent response
    regarding what specifically concerns you about that company,
    rather than brushing people aside with insulting remarks.
    I'm sorry...I don't know you...and I should be giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    But I believe people who post here deserve the same courtesy.
    I've never heard of Carchex
    and it's obvious from the
    lack of responses no one
    else has.

Does that tell
    you anything?
    Uhhh...that people are too lazy to do their research?
    Or that they are prejudiced against anything they don't know anything about?
    Seriously...
    you HAVE heard of CarFax, haven't you?
    Well, go to CarFax.com, click on THEIR Extended Warranty link,
    and tell me where it takes you...
    NOW have you heard of CarChex???
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think we're veering a bit off topic and making it personal. Let's all take a deep breath and return to more civil discourse. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks. I agree completely, and I apologize if I have stooped to uncivil discourse.
    I hate it when discussion gives way to negativity and personal attacks, and I'm sorry if I have become a part of that.
    I simply wanted some constructive feedback on a specific company, CarChex, a CarFax affiliate, and that's still what I'm looking for.
    Thank you for hosting this site, and for the helpfulness it provides.
    OK, sorry about that. My opinion and most here would agree that a car warranty is only as good as the company that backs it. "Most" if not all 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on simply because they're backed by some "Resource Retention Group" that is based in some off shore country like the Cayman Islands.

That's why no one here will recommend anything but a manufacturer backed warranty, well except for Daewoo, LOL. As far as CarChex goes, if it's backed by Carmax then I'd say it's worth looking in to. But I don't know anything about it and don't have the time to fully research it, sorry.