Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Getting wax/polish off of plastic trim

footfootfootfootfootfoot Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Honda
In applying a coat of Nu Finish to my car, I accidentally tainted the plastic trim on the side of the passenger door with a touch of polish. The result is an ugly white streak on the black plastic that annoys me to no end.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this polish from the trim? So far, I've tried relatively soft cleansers: dish soap, Armor-All Trim Cleaner/Conditioner, spit and toothbrush. I'm afraid to use anything too strong for fear of leaving an even worse mark on the trim once the polish is gone.

I'm sure somebody has faced and solved the same problem, and I hope that person reads this message. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I seem to remember hearing peanut butter works (with a toothbrush), then again maybe I'm just hungry ;)
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Yeah, it works! Its the oil in the PB that helps dissolve the wax in the trim. Apply it to the affected area, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe off with paper towels. The spot may need to be washed afterwards. And more than one application may be needed.

If that doesn't work things get difficult. I usually go to my bottle of 3M Adhesive, Tar, and Wax Remover. I've also had good luck with automotive all-purpose cleaners and a small stiff brush to scrub the area. This can take some effort but keep trying, it should come out OK. Good luck!
  • Options
    footfootfootfootfootfoot Member Posts: 2
    Good advice. Peanut butter took it right out. Rather than pasting it on, waiting, and cleaning, I rubbed it in good with a toothbrush and wiped clean. Worked like a charm.

This is definitely a tip I'll pass along, as I see more than a few cars on the road with the "frosted trim" look that comes from a messy wax job. Thanks again.
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    I'm now 39, and I'd never heard of that. You learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay but how do you get rid of the squirrels all over your car?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Put nice slippery wax all over the car,including trim where they could get a grip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OH wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,, have to think on this some more ;-)
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    small caliber rifle, big slingshot....
  • Options
    High Voltage
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    just kinda toast their little feet with a pinpoint flame.....
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What eats squirrels? Oops! I mean, what other ANIMAL eats squirrels? Oops! I mean what other fur-bearing small mammal eats squirrels. (There, that should squash all the hillybilly jokes).
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    squirrels and rabbits were born to be prey, their eyes are on the sides of their heads to look out for big critters. doesn't always work.

oh, and maybe bubba's kids if the slingshot wasn't taken away from them ;) [ no way to stop a hillbilly joke! ]

if you read his autobiography, one of those kids was chuck yeager, who got out of the hollows.
  • Options
    behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    on my wife's car that has had Nu Finish attached to a piece of black trim for about a year, and it worked. I can't believe it worked, but it did. I have tried every cleaner I could think of, and nothing worked until I used creamy, reduced fat, Jif. Thanks for the tip Bret.
  • Options
    No problem. I'm glad it helped you out. :-)
This discussion has been closed.