Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    It's not GM, it's GM's supplier that is making poor alternators. Our 2000 Intrigue had a slight lights flicker when it got cold but they had a fix for it and it's been fine ever since.

Problem is, car makers are cutting costs all the time and with that comes lower quality parts from the lowest bidder in some cases. That's my opinion and my conjecture though, I have nothing to back that up.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Lets keep in mind that the new generation vans use a charging system that is unlike every other GM vehicle but a handfull. As they have told the owners, the system is operating as designed. GM obviously has underestimated how much attention is played to the charging system output info. And somewhere along the line, some one (in house or suppplier) didn't take the operating characteristics of the new charging system. But they are working on the issue.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    My Buick Terraza has a small (about the size of a Kleenex package) plastic "Housing" on the inside cover. What is it for? Buick customer service and the dealer don't know.
    I've had my CXL for about 2 month...and really love it. I almost bought a Mercury Premier, but this was almost $5,000 less. I wish GM had put the radio antenna in the windshield (like my 2002 Olds), made the outside mirrors to fold flat, and put in a power tailgate. But overall, I really like it so far.
  • cla1cla1 Member Posts: 27
    Our Silo had a small "purse size" kleenex dispenser on the glove box door. Haven't checked the Terraza yet for that, I assume that's what it is. Our Buick Dealer gave us a bigger one to clip on the sun visor.
    Our CXL occasionally has no sound even though the radio display or DVD display show everything normally. It's only happened 3-4 times in 6 weeks. Has anyone else had this, is it related to the voltage issue. BTW, our voltage read out is sometimes 15, and other times 13.2. What's it supposed to be anyway? Yesterday on some errands it started at 14.6, slowly went down to 13.2--I assumed as the batter was recharged from starting it went back to 13.2. Today taking our granddaughter home, watching DVD it stayed at 15 all the way (about a 45 min trip.) Ideas?
    Bizarre.
  • holzwarthpholzwarthp Member Posts: 3
    My Saturn Relay has had no sound on the radio about 5 times in 1400 miles. It seems to restore after the car is sitting for a while. It acts like the memory has to drain before it will work again. Yesterday the heater would not give any heat but today after sitting over night it works again. I am also getting a Service Theft System light now. The OnStar button failed and I had to return it to the dealer to get that fixed. Maybe I shouldn't have purchsed a new model vehicle before they got all the bugs out.
  • 2005 sv62005 sv6 Member Posts: 4
    I think you might be talking about the interior air filter that filters the outside air coming into the inside of the van.
    Saw in the paper today they have short wheel base Uplander value vans (but still with OnStar) for C$19,999 (about$16000 US) cash buy. Both Ford and Chrysler have stripper vans for the same cash price. Not a bad deal for families on a budget!
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I looked at the incentives. It's only the value van that has a big cash back. I guess they want to compete with the other 2-3 basic $20K vans on the Canadian market. No wonder GM didn't want to give up the short wheel base for Canada. Still for $20K, the van has ABS, all discs, MP3 player, On Star and A/C. Not a bad deal.
  • ngiovasngiovas Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my Relay today. Test drove it for about 30 minutes the other day and it worked great. Drove it for about 30 minutes earlier today and everything was still great, but this afternoon we were about 10 minutes into a trip to the store when a loud noise started coming from the rear of the van. The rear fan is on high at all times. It is very loud and is always on. I turned off the air in the front and it still goes. I also tried turning the front control to AUX and turning it down from the rear control, but it is still there. I can feel air coming from the floor vent when the front controls are turned to floor, but when turned to defrost the air comes from the ceiling vents - even when front and rear air are set to off.

Does anyone know what may be causing this or how to turn it off?

Thanks,
    Nick
  • hammy233hammy233 Member Posts: 24
    Hi new guy here..On Feb 18th we took delivery of our 2nd Relay2(First one got exchanged)we hoped that exchanging it would have got rid of the flickering lights..but nope..was wondering outloud if there is more going besides lights, is the DVD static part of the issue? Put a voltage gauge on my lights the other day, steady 12.3V no engine running, 13.9,13.5, 13.1,13.7,13.0V with engine running..hmmm, wonder when the fix is coming..also anybody having issues with the fuel gauge..I`ve got a 94litre tank and my fuel gauge is all over the place..especially in the lower half, park it with 1/2 wake up with a 1/4..go into store with 1/4 come out with 1/2..ohh and don`t park nose down on a grade....it stalled out on me once only to start once it levelled out.
  • heath2heath2 Member Posts: 6
    I am experiencing the same problem with the headlights on my new uplander.My sister in-law has the Relay with the same problem. I feel confident that the dealership will not be able to fix this yet because this is definitely an engineering problem, and should have been detected through r&d. I will wait for the recall notice, and hopefully someone at GM is doing their homework on this issue....I hope!
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    Talked to 2 people that owned an Uplander and an SV6. Neither have experienced either problem stated on this board. Not saying that anyone isn't having these problems. I am truly disheartened to hear that GM is having these issues in a minivan that was designed to attempt a run at the competition. I hope they can fix this soon.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Take a look onthe Saturn L-Series forum. Someone posted what may be causing the flickering of the headlights in the L-Series. It may be the same problem for the Relay and Uplander.
    I'm not sure who makes the alternators but clearly they must be sub-par. There were many issues with them in the Olds Intrigue but they issues a TSB and mine was fixed and I never had an issue again. I suspect the same will happen here with these vans.

GM should stop using this supplier, even if it's Delco.
  • new2vansnew2vans Member Posts: 15
    My Uplander is having the same problem. I've had mine for 3 months now and has 2500 miles on it. Occasionally, when i start the vehicle, there is no sound from the radio,cd player,dvd player, onstar, and door delay lock chime. The radio displays the station normally, though. Then when I stop the car, go into the store, etc, and come back out and restart the van, everything works fine. I've brought it in once and after checking all diagnostics, the dealer could not find a problem. It happened again the day after bringing it to the dealers and I drove it straight to them and had a tech come out to my vehicle to verify this prob. I am bringing it in tomorrow again to address this. This is really annoying but I'm a bit relieved to know others are experiencing this so maybe GM will take notice. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any other problems with my van.
    Yes, that is exactly the problem we have. That's the only problem so far, and since it is intermittent and quite rare, we've not bothered to go to the dealer yet. I know what their answer will be: "unable to dupicate the problem." My wife (who is the primary driver) did report it to the dealer when she stopped by to pick up some modules for the overhead rail system (I think a first aid kit and a CD holder), and of course they looked concerned and puzzled and said, "Gee, no one has reported that problem." But ours was the second one sold at that dealer so I wasn't surprised. Any chance someone at GM reads this forum????
  • new2vansnew2vans Member Posts: 15
    OMG, this is getting eery. The new car manager called me last week to see how things were going with my Uplander and to tell me that some extra modules were in (and also the cd holder and first aid kit)! That's when I notified him of the problem. The dealership from which I purchased my Uplander has been super with our last car purchase and he told me to bring it right in as I shouldn't have to deal with this type of problem in a brand new vehicle (I agree). But unfortunately they couldn't find a cause. But again, I will be bringing it in tomorrow for an "extensive" check so I will keep you posted. Maybe if you do bring it in, they will at least have it on record as a problem and it may get around to GM at some point. I will keep you updated.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Wonder if GM will recall for this issue. Seems like way too many people have this alternator / electrical issue. Hopefully it will get fixed up fast.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    All the problems that I am reading here, convinced me that GM does not have it's act together, hence I will go with a Toyota Sienna.

I WISH GM/Saturn had the same quality and if they did.. I would rather buy GM!
    If you read through forums you will see Toyota and Honda also have issues with new models. My buddy bought a new Acura TL and has had the brakes changes twice in 6 months due to warping. I'd sooner have a light flicker than warped rotors anyday!
    The TSB has been issued with new Alternator part numbers for th 105 & 125 amp alterantors. This is for the light flicker issue. Neglected to ask if it covered Canada, although I am sure "don't remeber" would have been the answer.
  • fakemustardfakemustard Member Posts: 2
    Hey Holzwarthp,

My Service Theft System light is always on too. Actually the Relay has spent the week at Saturn and they have no idea what's wrong. When the light came on the engine began running rough. Let us know if you get an answers.
  • fakemustardfakemustard Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else seen the error message "Service Theft System" on the Saturn Relay? Has anyone been able to get it fixed or sorted out? My Relay has been at Saturn for a week!
    Hurrah!!!!!!!!!! A TSB is available, what is the # of that TSB, I`ll be onto my dealerships service dept like white on rice, Its only taken 4 months.....what they doing putting the 125 amp in like they should have in the first place, go figure a 125amp in a Pontiac G6, Malibu..but a measly little 105amp in a van full of Toys bell whistle etc.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    "I've had my CXL for about 2 month...and really love it. I almost bought a Mercury Premier, but this was almost $5,000 less. I wish GM had put the radio antenna in the windshield (like my 2002 Olds), made the outside mirrors to fold flat, and put in a power tailgate. But overall, I really like it so far. "

Kcorey,

One of the right things that GM has done since MY03 minivan was the ridding off the windshield AM/FM antenna. With that antenna, one couldn't even listen to AM when engine is running. This antenna picks up all kinds electronics noise under the hood, including: Ignition noise, Fuel injector noise, windshield motor noise, or any electrical noise in the vehicle. Everytime one steps on the gas pedal, he surely hear ticking noise in both AM/FM modes (but more noticable on AM).

I happen to own the MY97 Olds minivan and everytime if I want to listen to AM or far-away FM stations, I had to turn the car off.

By the way, radio engineers hate these windshield, side glass, rear glass antenna because they are generally inferior to the old "low tech" whip antenna in your current minivan. That is the reason why Chrysler vehicles, years in and out, have the best radio reception category in JD Power study (more of their vehicles use the whip)

Some car makers (VW, Toyota, Hyundai) now are using a shorter whip antenna on top of their vehicles as a compromise between the old whip and the windshield antennas

jt
    Here it is everyone. The TSB # is TSB 05-06-03-003 and this is for the flickering headlight issue. I personally documented from the dealership screen this morning. The bulletin stated " A customer may complain about headlights flickering and cluster lights flickering" the fix for this is the 125amp alternator. Attached to this bulletin was the Uplander,Terraza,SV6,and the Relay. I should receive my Uplander back this evening and will keep you folks informed.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know where I can find a First Drive/Full Test on the Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6? I've already read the Buick Terraza/Saturn Relay review on edmunds.com. Car and Driver did a test on the Terraza and they disliked the van. Not surprisingly, given how the GM Minivans don't even compare to Chrysler Town and Country Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.
    That isn't what the TSB says. The fix is to replace the alternator with the new alternator. Relace the 105amp with the new 105amp. Repalce the 125amp with the new 125amp.

And if your dealer was able to order the alternator yesterday for installation today, that answers the unasked availability question. Thanks.
    Don't be too quick and make the wrong choice! I'm very happy with my Buick Terazza. If you haven't tried one yet, give it a try.
    I tried the Chrysler T&C. The worst rear seating, ever...like seating in the bleachers of a ballpark. I want my passengers to be as comfortable as me in the front. Sit in the back seats. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the Buick Terazza. And the seats are adjustable, too.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Town and Country. I think it looks great on the outside. The dash is pretty nice, except the nav screen looks really small. Have you tried the stow n go system? I can't believe the new GM minivans don't have fold flat third row seating. This has now become a must have for minivans. Even the new Kia Sedona is incorporating this. The 2006 Sedona will also have 240 hp, much better than the piddling 200 of the new GM minivans
    Your right...it does look great...on the outside! But, I traded my 02 Intrigue because I couldn"t fit my 5 grandchildren in it. Inside comfort was the most important thing to me. Everyone is happy (even my wife when she rides in the back)
    You're right...it does look great...on the outside! But, I traded my 02 Intrigue because I couldn"t fit my 5 grandchildren in it. Inside comfort was the most important thing to me. Everyone is happy (even my wife when she rides in the back)
    The dealership completed the repair on the flickering lights issue.The new alternator completely took care of the problem.Dealership notes"disc neg batt term.remove eng mount bolts &swing engine forward.removep/s pump,remove gen remove gen bracket remove belt tensioner.replace gen." This sounded extensive to me but is probably a simple task for an experienced tech.The part # for the alternator is #15251756.Hope this helps.My Uplander is now a pleasure to drive at NIGHT.
    Excellent. Thanks for following through with the details.
  • bopper88bopper88 Member Posts: 3
    OK, I've one for about three weeks, Traded in the Olds Silo. The Buick is quieter. No rattles, and there was a review of the Relay that called it rattle-y, but not the Buick. The mileage is lower than the Silo was, but the engine is more powerful. The wipers are much better. The stereo, with the Satellite radio, is outstanding, and the biggest reason I wanted one. I don't agree with people who say that those fancy fold away seats are a must have, to me, the satellite radio was a must have, and was not available on the Toyota or the Honda, that I was able to find. For the money I paid (about $30K) it has everything I wanted.
    Did you have the 105 or 125amp replaced, were you having any static/buzzing issues with your DVD if you had one....did they do a diagnostic on the vehicle to make sure nothing was damaged by the voltage fluctuations, I will be getting my Relay in for the fix asap and am considering asking them for two diagnostics ( before and after)be intresting to see how the change affects things, also may see if my service friend can slip me the 125amp for the all troubles.....exchanging vehicles through the exchange policy, the running out of fuel when parked downhill, the mouldings having to be replaced, and now the soon to be released throttle body whine Tsb, and the gas gauge issues Tsb`s
    I recall hearing the technician say that the 125 amp would replace my faulty one. I do know after the repair that my headlights are brighter now than before. I'm sorry to hear about your multiple problems. I hope the dealership can resolve your issues, as for the diagnostics, I can't tell how many or what type diagnostics they performed.
    Great news. Sounds like the flickers and electrical issues were the main problem with these vans. Hopefully they will fix them all up quickly.
  • bassprobasspro Member Posts: 34
    I need a large capacity oil filter for myuplander. It holds 4 quarts now and I want it to hold Five. I prefer Purolator Pure one or wix filters, if anyone knows of one. Does anyone know if the chevy 3500 has the forged steel crankshaft like the buick?
  • bassprobasspro Member Posts: 34
    Mine does not flicker and it was built feb the 5th. Good luck to all that have the problem.
  • tjhsmithtjhsmith Member Posts: 25
    If I remember correctly, only the Buick had the forged steel crankshaft. It's supposed to reduce NVH and is part of the buick-exclusive "quiet tuning."
    My Relay will be going in on Thursday for the Long awaited alternator replacement, they are going to pull all my mouldings off and reapply them...the two rear mouldings are peeling worse than the originals...going to ask to see the installer, let him see what is happening with mouldings..I noticed at the leading edge there is "what I call " xmas clip, its not secured in the sheet metal, perhaps this isn`t a Tape/Glue thing after all but something different...also going to hang around while they run a diagnostic prior to alternator re & re...just curious to see how this changes thing...me and the service manager get along pretty good hopefully he will oblige me with this.Will give an update after I get her home...and go for a "Night Drive"
  • sundevil99sundevil99 Member Posts: 20
    We've had our Uplander for 3 months now... we love it. I've read a lot on the board about the flickering lights issue and possibly related problems with the radio. We haven't noticed any of these things.
    My questions for the board is how do I notice the flickering lights? Is it obvious when driving at night? Will I notice it from the driver's seat or do I need to be outside the vehicle looking at the headlights? Is it only the headlights? Do the dash lights also flicker? Does the problem occur while in motion or during an idle?

Any insights appreciated.
    Thanks!
    oh yah you`d notice it alright....like you were lower and raising the beams on your lights the ip lights flicker like you have bad eyes...just had my alternator replaced today..just waiting for night fall to really check things out....so far it seems to have taken care of the DVD buzzing in the speakers....also read this interesting.
    About 1.3 million Mercedes recalled

Carmaker concerned about voltage regulators, battery control, brake systems.
    March 31, 2005: 9:21 AM EST
    Mercedes will recall the cars in several model ranges worldwide to fix problems with alternators and batteries, which do not affect the cars' safety, according to the supplier, car-parts maker Robert Bosch......what are the odds the same bunch of alternators are in our vans....hmmmm
    well its dark outside and the lights are ok!!!!!!! yeah no flicker, no dvd static..... :)