Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    On those points..

Yes CR and other magazines can test back to back but do they know you and what you like or want in a van? Do they know if remote start or On Star are more important than flip and flop seats? I don't think so. That's why you should buy what you want, not what you or a magazine tells you to.

On the quality side, the difference between #1 and #5 is probably only 20 problems per 100 cars. Yes some are better than others but in the end, quality is much less of an issue than it used to be. Even the Korean companies seem to be closing in on whomever is #1. Lots of studies (like the latest from JD Power) show GM is pretty darn close to Toyota and Honda now, even ahead in some categories, and every year that passes the gap is smaller.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    Yes, the CXL has a 2 position memory seat --- driver 1 or driver 2. (It's kind of silly, really, but my wife loves it.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    I have to admit that Vanman is really right, here! I subscribed to Consumer Reports for over 15 years, and woke up and stopped. I worked in the retail paint industry, and every year CR would change their top 10 list. Well, the ingredients in the paint didn't change, so why were they changing their "Top 10"? Look, you try the car (or Paint, or whatever) out yourself. If you like it, and it meets your needs and likes, then buy it. Gee, it's not like you're marrying the darn thing...if it doesn't fit the bill, turn it in in a couple of years. No car today is ever going to be like my "55 Caddy, or "57 Lincoln, or '49 Packard...and I'm not going to be 20 again either. Just enjoy them, and look forward to the next crop of new ones.
    I love CR as a reference and I check it all the time before I buy a camera or a PC, but in the end I still buy what I like, not what they do. I did buy their "best buy" digital camera last year but the BBQs they liked were way more than I could afford so I bought something else.
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    When did I ever say people shouldn't buy what they like? Look, I was getting ready to buy an Uplander van. In January, though they were really hard to find. While waiting, the issue of minivans in CR came out, and I read it (also liked it for the mutual fund section, but that's another story.) It made me wonder about a number of points, and at the least I though, I should at least check out Toyota, Honda and Dodge (the 3 recommended vans) to see if they really are that much better than the GM vans, although I had been assuming all along I couldn't afford them. The reality was for me at that time, the GM vans were new, incentives were slim (still not great) and sticker price as well as invoice price, they were really no cheaper than the other 3 vans.

So I drove the other vans, liked the Toyota and Honda a lot, a lot more than the GM, and then studied all of the features that came with each package to the point that I knew more about each van, than just about all of the salesman I visited. What it came down to was price, and in the end financially the Sienna was the better deal - and at the same time it was easily apparent to me that it was the better van quality wise too - the same basic conclusion the CR came to as well. The article did not make me buy it, it just opened my eyes as to how different one product from another could be, and listed pros and cons about everything. In the end, what convinced me was what vanman has been saying, and what I have agreed with, buy what suits you. It seemed obvious to me, that if 2 vans are close in price, and yet one drives better and has better features, it makes sense to buy that van, which is what I did. So when someone else in van shopping, I have no problems sharing my findings from my personal van buying experience, because I think it will benefit others.

If you try the GM van and that works for you, find buy it. What do I care? If someone is going to fork over $25k+ for a van, and all they have considered is GM, I will politely mention they should consider the other 3 for comparison sakes, and then decide. If the GM is still the one, great again. That is my main advice to anyone, don't be hung up on brands. Vanman and others are, and it is GM. I am not, I don't think the Sienna is the greatest van ever made, but it's close. The Honda and Dodge all make good vans too, each with their strengths and the Nissan seems to be a good value for some too. Next year the van to get may be the Hyundai, who knows.

I think CR is a valuable tool for some things. Comparing cars and paint is a silly exercise here. Maybe the ingredients did change - how would you really know what brand has changed what in their ingredients? You said you worked reatil, but that isn't the same thing as working for a paint manufacturer. I would imagine the basic ingredients are the same, but there can be tons of varieties within these parameters. And maybe some paints really do last longer than others, hence the change in the rankings. Are you basically saying that no one ever changes their paint formula year in and year out? I buy a lot of paint for my house, and I can tell you the difference in a Sears brand paint and the Behr paint I've been buying from Home Depot lately, there is a big difference. The Behr is much superior for both coverage, color and durability. Funny, it is CR's #1 pick I believe. I am not a paint or car expert, very few here are on this board. CR can be a good resource, and I don't profess it is the only one, as I have stated before if you read my previous posts. I have yet to see though, any magazine that is neutral (not owned by GM, Toyota, etc.) that has ever in recent memory ranked a GM van first, or even towards the top. The last test C&D did last year, they didn't even consider a GM van to test.

By the way, I don't subscribe to CR, and I don't think it is great for everything. They test audio equipment (another hobby of mine) in a way that makes me cringe. For speakers, they test the audio frequency, and make judgements that way. Scientific maybe, but it doesn't tell you a damn about how a speaker actually sounds. One year they gave Bose a bad review (they definitely got that right) and Bose sued them. Bose lost, but in the years after that, CR never came right out and gave Bose a bad review again. I didn't like that - I liked the fact that CR stood up and actually published the frequency response of their speakers (something Bose never publishes - the only speaker company that doesn't, as far as I am aware). But I digress.

I agree with one of your points, no car today is going to be like your '55 caddy, that is a true statement for sure. Because that was 50 years ago. They don't build 'em like they use to, and maybe that's a good thing. Probably wouldn't be any oil left at this point.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I have an Uplander and I really didn't consider any other van because I wanted a SUV and this fit the bill for less money and with better gas mileage. The ride is smooth and quality is top notch, the dash is beautiful. My wife is the main driver but she agreed on the SUV look, she is very happy with her CSV.

Let me tell you about Toyota Quality.. I leased a Sequoia when they came out and the engine would click all the time. It was so bad that Toyota finally offered to let me out of the lease as it could not be fixed. I was offered another but ended up with a Tahoe instead which was flawless for the 2 years I had it. I then realized that GM quality was back and it was an influence on my wife's purchase as was the quality of my current Grand Prix which has also been flawless.

No one is wrong for buying anything. We bought the 3rd house we looked at, why? Because we liked it. I have seen many many more homes since we bought and some are very nice but I still love our house. Same goes for cars, if you like something buy it.
  • strstr Member Posts: 64
    I think irg is just getting tired of always having to justify his opinion every time he gives it to someone. I have talked to him a quite a bit on these forums and he has never tried to persuade me to buy a Toyota but gives his honest opinion which is obviously in favor of them, sometimes it is misunderstood. Maybe I am completely off base but isn't that what these forums are about, opinions and personal experiences?

Anyway, we are looking at the Montana SV6 and a Toyota Sienna but are kind of stuck in the middle. The first time I saw the CSV's I loved them. I absolutely love the SUV look it sure beats the old boxy out of style body the minivans have had for so long, the change is really nice. I agree, the inside of these vans are beautiful. How is the gas mileage? Is everything holding up well? Did you get the remote starter? I think that would be a really great feature. If you don't mind telling me I'd be interested in knowing what kind of a deal you got on your Uplander.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    For a person who is willing to do some research, CR is quite inrrelevant when it comes to cars or cameras, or most of the things they test. And quite frankly I find some of their tests are pointless. There's very little information on the details of a product's features and strong suits, and they base their ratings on very generalized criteria. They often leave me scratching my head wondering what the article I just read really said. For a person who doesn't care too much or know much about the product, yeah, CR might be helpful. But for any person who cares to do just a little research or knows something about the product (be it a camera, a car or whatever), CR's rational and recommendation are too shallow and general to mean anything. Just my 2 cents. Now fire back you CR faithfuls before the host kills this topic ;)
    I don't know why you guys and gals are so hung up on this "SUV" look. Maybe I'm just too geeky to care about looking cool :blush: we love the mini van look (well, on a 2nd thought, maybe just the Quest's mini van look ;) ). My wife and I have been dying to get our hands on a mini van, so we won't care one bit being seen driving one.
    I like the look of an SUV on a van but I also like the classy car like look of the Sienna or I wouldn't be considering one. I just don't like the look of the old body style minivans, even Sienna recently changed to a more sleek and modern look. It's just that a lot of the vans haven't and they've had the same body style forever and now with all the new changes they are starting to look out dated, to me it's kind of like when you see someone in 1980's style clothing and your thinking, why, we've already done that can't we move on? That's just my personal opinion though, I guess to the guy wearing the 1980's clothing he does look cool or he wouldn't be wearing it, right? ;) Really doesn't matter does it?
    When I first saw the pictures of the new vans I was not impressed with the "SUV look". Now that I see them on the road though, I think they look pretty good with the big wheels and higher stance. I especially like the Uplander, looks almost like a Trailblazer or a Tahoe from the front. Definitely has more of a presence than any other van on the road I think.
    Dan, you proved my point exactly in your last paragraph "we bought the third house we looked at." (I think we did too.) My point though, is that you looked at other houses didn't you, before you bought the third house. It's a major purchase like a car, so one should be thorough in their search. I understand that you liked the SUV look of the Uplander, which is what GM is hoping will lure in customers - not a bad idea, although SUV's in general are on the wane. However it is still a van, and not an SUV. IMO, it (the minivan) has many advantages over most SUVs, unless you need to tow something.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your Sequoia. No manufacturer is immune from this, unfortunately. And GM is on the rise, you're right. But Toyota is still tops, in most categories. Both are heading in the right direction, which is what ultimately matters - better products for all consumers. My expeience with GM was not terrible like you had with Toyota, but it wasn't exactly confidence building either. I expect any vehicle in the 2-3 year window when you lease something like your Tahoe or my Blazer or Saturn to be pretty much maintenace trouble free. Your Sequoia wasn't and my Saturn wasn't. I understand well why you switched brands, I would have too. The only brand of cars I have bought more than one of is GM, and I might still consider them in the future. If my Sienna is trouble free like I expect, I would definitely consider Toyota again, if not, I'll try something else.

Next time I buy a van, I won't automatically consider the Sienna, I will look at most of the main players, drive them all, and then buy or lease the one that best matches my budget and preferences. I give that advice often, and I follow it as well.
    Tamu,
    I understand your points, although in general I do disagree. I don't think CR is irrelevant necessarily. I just think that is too general to say. For many years now, their rankings of (used and new) cars that are the most reliable have been one of the reasons, IMO, that companies like Honda and Toyota have catapaulted in market share, and the same reason in part, why the fortunes of GM and Ford have been in decline for years. That makes it relevant. You may not agree or like their findings or conclusions, but they're relevant nonetheless.

Now I do agree that some of their tests also leave me wondering. I guess they can't test products in every different way possible that would make everyone happy. If nothing else, what I do find helpful on the rare occassions I buy CR, is to find out what else is out there, whether I am buying a new dishwasher, TV or van. I often don't know what is available, so I like CR as a starting point, to consider their findings, and then take it from there. I don't it view it as the bible of shopping or anything like that.
    Now here we agree! I don't care at all anymore about having the SUV look. IMO, most of the new minivans in general have a pleasing look about them. I like the Odyssey the best, but not by much. A van is still a van, and right now my kids are young enough that they think the van is very cool. Maybe when they get older they won't, but who knows what will be in vogue then. Fortunately I don't live in a very materialistic town. Very old Subaru's and Volvo's (often rusty) are almost a status symbol here. The "it" car to have is the Prius. Hey, it's a college town, and there are probably more "greenies" here in this little college town than all of Texas. LOL.
    Actually, if you read "Dan's" email more closely he said they have seen many more houses sincethey bought, not before.

As for Toyotas "top ratings", they are not tops by much and have fallen from the top in some categories. While still good, it's pretty obvious that over all Toyota is not all that special anymore and their products for the most part are dull. Over time I suspect their sales will slow when people realize this (they still have the reputation) unless they spice things up a bit.
    "Hello, Hello, Hello is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone home?" Just quoting a little Pink Floyd for you guys.
    What happened? Everyone's so quiet. There hasn't been a post since May 27. irg not around to argue with? Well, I'll stir something up then.
    Yesterday I saw a Montana SV6 on the road and it looked sharp. It was black and very sleek but it looked kind of narrow for a van. I was wondering if this is something they changed or if all of the Montanas are narrow and I just haven't noticed it before? I usually don't look at the older body styles so I really don't know. Do they have less room than other vans (width wise) or is it just an illusion with this new body style?
    Maybe Toyota isn't hot where you live, but they seem to be here, and most places in the US. I agree, that some of their product lines are a bit conservative, if not dull. That has always been on a knock on them. Nothing new. That is one of the reasons they have launched Scion. Maybe that will help, I know one local dealer can't keep the Scion tC in stock. And all of the dealers around here have been selling every last Prius they can get. Whether you like it or not, the Prius is a special product, and is already changing the automotive industry. GM wished they had a vehicle like that. Instead, the try and sell a product like the SSR pickup, make it look retro (enough of this trend already) make it pretty useless as a truck, and then slap a huge sticker price on it and watch the customer come flocking into the show room. Oh wait, that never happened, because nobody cares about a retro pickup that gets bad gas mileage and can't tow what a normal truck can tow. And now they are desperately trying to unload this disaster.

How about the G6. Even with Oprah's help, they aren't selling many of these. Design wise, they are almost Camry dull, yet the Camrys and Accords keep selling well, but the G6, not lookng so good. Maybe things will pick up.

Toyota's quality is still excellent. When you buy one of these "dull" products, for the vast majority of owners, they get a vehicle that is well built, dependable, and has very good resale. More of an appliance true, they do lack some personality. But for the typical car buyer that is not really into cars, a Toyota experience is more than sufficient. Quality, reliability, safety, and resale. If GM can nail all of these things, they will be back on top. Don't see that happening just yet. Don't see Toyota or Honda faltering too much either, no matter what you might believe (or wish).
  • tjhsmithtjhsmith Member Posts: 25
    The GM vans are a little narrower than competitors' vans. Originally, when GM redesigned their vans for 1997, an Opel badged version was going to be made for Europe. Opel insisted that the vans be made accomodate narrow European streets. The Opel version never happened, but by the time Opel cancelled, it was too late and too costly to reengineer the vans for the US market. Since the new vans are built on an updated platform from the 1997 vans, they are still a bit narrow. They are no narrower that the previous GM vans, but maybe they appear that way because they are longer than previous versions.
    I know this is the GM van board, but FWIW I want to give you all an update on our minivan shopping saga. And Man, what a journey it has been! Yesterday evening we finally made the committment and bought a base S model Nissan Quest for $650 under invoice (yes, you read right). After the 2K rebate, the price was $21751, and we paid a hair below $24K out of the door. The van has floor mats, splash guards, microfilter, cargo cover and cargo organizer. Too bad this van was made right after Nissan's price increase, otherwise we could've gotten it for $252 less. But we spent the extra $300 (after tax) for the color we liked. The van is still in transit on the delivery truck. Our sales person was nice enough to offer to deliver the van to our home when it gets there.
    My wife and I considered the Chevy first because we have GM credit card points and our 02 Chevy Malibu has been great. But I really didn't care for its looks and hated the fact that side airbags (curtain or seat mounted ones) weren't available and there was no folding seat of any kind. It drove noisily and it also felt very cramped inside being so narrow. And it was pricy! The Uplander's fate was sealed after my wife test drove it. She complained that she had a hard time grabbing onto the steering wheel's fat spokes.

My wife and I then went back and forth between the Quest and the DGC SXT. It came down to the price. The Quest we bought has standard side curtain airbags, traction control, 4 wheel disk ABS, power passenger side door, power liftgate, parking sonar assist, power rear flip out window, and of course the small stuff like floor mats, splash guards, microfilter, cargo cover and cargo organizer. To get those things in a Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, we would've paid about $23K, 1K more than the Nissan. We tried real hard in the beginning to get the DGC, but sort of gave up on it once we realized it wasn't gonna happen for $22K. The feature we miss the most in the Caravan is the 3rd row plit seating. We love the 2nd row stow-n-go as well, but the Quest's 2nd row almost folds flat although without the two storage wells. On the other hand, we love the Quest's vast head and leg room, big and comfy seats, and its modern querky looks inside and out ;) We also considered the base model Quest which doesn't have the power door and hatch and rear sonar but is $15K cheaper. Finally we decided it'd be worth paying the extra for the added convenience. BTW, the Dodge salesperson was very nice to work with. Happy motoring everybody :shades:
    I guess I have never really looked at the older vans before but seeing the newer one the road from a distance it did look long and skinny. Now that I think about it the inside seats look a little close together but I'm going to look at some other vans tomorrow so I'll have something to compare it to. Thanks for the info tjhsmith!
    Good luck with the van. I really hope for you they don't have all the issues they did when they came out. Our neighbor has been in and out of the shop every month since he bought his Quest. Seems like the Quest has lots of deals right now, looks like it worked in your favor.
    Actually Honda's sales have been down much of this years also, much to my surprise as they have much more exciting product that Toyota does. Toyota is as big here as anywhere, they have 2 plants down the road and employ 1000's of Canadians. Beats me why people buy other than quality reputation. I drove a Camry rental for 2 days and while it was nice it was about as exciting as a vanilla ice cream cone, maybe that's what people want these days.

G6 isn't selling?? Really? 12000 units in May and the 4 cyl., coupe and 240 hp GTP aren't even out yet. Might want to check your story.

Back to vans..
    To answer your questions, we have had no issues with our Uplander yet, no rattles either, the vehicle is very tight. Mileage has been in the 21-22 MPG range for mixed driving. We got about 26-27 MPG on a long highway ride so it will get the posted numbers.

Remote start is a must I think if you live in a hot or cold (or both) climate. Nothing like getting in a climate controlled environment! Can you tell we got remote start??

My favourite feature of the Uplander is the MP3 player. Who needs an iPod!!!

:P

Good luck shopping.
    I am so glad that you are pleased with your Uplander. I think they look great inside and out.

The remote start is important to me. We live in a climate where the weather fluctuates from one extreme to another. I do not tolerate the cold very well but at least I have heated seats, however, I hate sitting on a leather seat that has been sitting in 100+ heat. I have had my legs burned more than once because I forget to start my car ahead of time in the summer. The remote start would be great!

It sounds like your van is doing well on the MPG and that is always important.

Thanks for the information! ;)
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Member Posts: 78
    I've been reading these forums for a few years but have never posted. After purchasing my new Uplander LT last night, I thought it was time to get in the mix. A few comments about the Uplander... At least initially, it's a huge improvement from the Venture (we have a '98 Venture). The interior and exterior is awesome. It just feels so much tighter, quieter, and more refined. Ours is Silverstone Metalic, which I think gives it a classy look. Other colors are nice too, but we wanted a change from the Sandrift Metailic of the Venture.

The kids are so pumped about the DVD and my wife and I already love the XM radio. The only features not on ours are the six disc cd changer and the Sport Suspension/Stabilitrac. We also opted not to get the full leather seats. The base seats are trimmed in leather and really look and sit nicely as well.

The buying experience was fair. I was in and out of two dealerships that I was unhappy with. Either they were pressuring you or lying to you to get you in. I ended up at a smaller dealer, outside of the big city and was very satisfied there. I paid about $500 over invoice. I realize that may not be the best deal going, but this dealer had a lower processing fee than most (by about $200) and honestly I had a hard time finding the one I wanted so I had less room to deal. Does anyone know why they are still pretty hard to find? They had to drive mine in from a town about 100 miles away. In addition, I wanted to buy by last night since the 2K cash back expired then. Good thing I did because I noticed that GM's new incentives, just released today, are less, down to $1,000 cash back on the Uplander, or some special finance rates.

My van was produced in December 2004. Vanman, do you know what production period the alternator TSB covered? I did not notice any flickering lights last night and am wondering if it was corrected by then. The TSB number is 05-06-03-003 as previously reported on this site. I think it would be helpful if someone would post a link to this TSB or attach a PDF file. Also, does anyone know what month in 2004 that production began on the Uplanders?

Finally, I think GM is on the path to success if they continue to produce vehicles that are as appealing as the new Uplander, Cobalt, and G6. Hopefully these vehicles and others will sway some of the negative public sentiment.
    Could be they are putting the new alternators on all the vans sitting on the lots. Definitely get it fixed if you do see the flicker.
  • sciteachersciteacher Member Posts: 1
    I got one of the 1st Uplanders- I got mine just before Thanksgiving 2004. It now has over 10,000 miles on it and I've been pleased. I am, by the way, female, and I have a fairly small frame (5'3") and I have no trouble with the steering wheel. My two biggest complaints are sort of petty. I have an LS with the easy-order option, sport suspension and trailering package. Complaint # 1- the cell phone holder is in the overhead rail system but the cord plugs in on the floor- and I mean right down on the floor. It's hard to reach. Complaint # 2- I ordered this van so I could tow stuff- the trailering package includes the HD cooling and the wiring harness, but not the trailer hitch. If you get the trailer hitch from Chevrolet you pay $325-350 including installation- and they were quick to tell me that the trailer hitch would come with the wiring harness. Now I ask you, why include the wiring with the trailering package but not the trailer hitch? Why charge again for the wiring harness if I paid for it with the trailering package? Anyone from GM listening out there? Other than that, I love it and drive it constantly.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    the malibu seems to be good for the success of gm along with the Uplanders(and other vans),G6,Cobalt,Equinox,Malibu,Malibu Maxx are all good for GM to get back on top.
    I was surprised too about Honda being down, although not that significant maybe. Now that they have the new Odyssey, a new Civic this summer/fall, and a new pickup (that just won C&D's midsize pickup shootout) I think they will bounce back.

As for "Beats me why people buy other than quality reputation." that alone is reason enough. Over the last couple of decades, many consumers became fed up with the poor quality that was coming out from Ford, GM and Chrysler. And while that has somewhat dissappated, it still hasn't completely faded away. And certainly consumer sentiment has not faded. And Toyota/Honda aren't exactly sitting on their laurels and doing nothing. The hybrid technology is a good example of that. Quality too, means you can buy or lease a Toyota Tundra, and 3 years later have a residual of 71%.

As for vans, the GM clones just aren't that competitive to what DC (still the leaders in sales), Honda and Toyota are offering. And sales reflect that.

From the several articles I have read, the G6 so far, has not sold nearly as well as anticipated, and has sold less than the Pontiac Grand Am it replaced, surprising considering the G6 is a significantly better vehicle. I'm sure the Camry you rented was a vanilla car, many rentals are from my experience. I just rented a Lincoln last week (the largest version they make, the Continental I believe), and preferred my Sienna for driving experience and comfort by far. If you want an "exciting" Camry or Honda Accord, get the v-6 with a 6 speed (accord coupe).
    "From the several articles I have read"

I'm not sure where you get your "information" from but G6 sales have steadily climbed every month since introduction. Last month over 9000+ units (official sales data) sold and the 4 cyl base model, GTP, coupe and coconvertible aren't even out yet!

Vans sold a combined 12500+ this May about the same a year ago. Sales are down over all so no big gains.

Like I have said many times before your Sienna is wonderful (I know that's what you want to hear) but it costs more money and doesn't offer many things the GM vans do and has no short version either. Not everyone can afford a Sienna and not everyone wants one.

In fact.. Funny story for u. Our friends have a Sienna and were over on the weekend. The wife was holding the door open when putting her daughter in. I asked if the door was broken and she said, no... not according to the dealership. They say it's suppose to not hold open when the window is down? How dumb is that? She is not impressed and told me she has told the dealer to fix it to stay. They told her they would get back to her.
    1. SUV look
    2. Remote start / MP3 (I love these 2)
    3. Well appointed interior
    4. Ride quality
    5. Price and value

The Uplander has a lot to offer for the buck, more than meets the eye. It's easy to say buy a Toyota I suppose but Chevy has a very decent van and should not be over looked.
    Personally, I don't think any van should necessarily be overlooked when one is comparison shopping. I have always advised people, friends, co-workers, etc. that at the very least consider 2-3 different brands and give them all a test drive. Certain things will definitely appeal to different people for different reasons. You like the SUV look, and the remote start option that are unique to GM. I didn't care about those things, but obviously some people will and do. If someone was exclusively looking at Toyota, I would still suggest they look at the Honda and probably the DC vans too, just for comparison sake. And every region/dealer seems to offer different incentives/deals that can easily make one van much more affordable than the other, and price for many of us does play an important role.
    Well, here is some more cheery news from GM: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?siteid=mktw&guid=%7B84EA9EEA-1091-- 48ED-8BEA-EE8A5060EC0D%7D&

I tried to find the articles I have read about the G6, not that it matters anymore. I usually find them in the business section at msnbc.com or cnn or drudgereport. That was back in March or April I believe. Yes, each month they have sold more, setting all time records for the G6, which is basically a laugh because it is a brand new vehicle. Not much to compare it to. I would hope it sets new records each month. But it hasn't outsold the grand am, which is weird, because the GA wasn't a great car, but it did sell well for GM, and G6 was supposed to supplant it in overall sales. Just hasn't happened yet, maybe it will, especially with more incentives slapped on. I would like to see a G6 wagon. The couple looks sporty, but is anyone buying coupes anymore? Ford never bothered with the Taurus or the 500, Accord and Camry coupes are niche vehicles too. The G6 needs more power in its v6 to compete. 200 hp just isn't very impressive. You think the 4 cyl model will bring in many more buyers? I wouldn't hold my breath. GM thought it was clever offering the sunroof that folds open all the way. I haven't seen one in person, (I seldom see any G6d) and it isn't a cheap option, and anyone shopping a "value" type car usually don't pack on the options like they would maybe a Mercedes. So the one thing that sets the G6 apart, no one is getting hardly. Guess this has nothing to do with Vans though.

There was another good article I read yesterday - and I can't find it at the moment (I really need to start bookmarking these things for you) that featured an economist and professor at the U of Maryland, that was talking about GM's woes (legacy stuff, union contracts, etc.) which he claims if they don't get resolved in the near future, GM will be out of business in 3-4 years. For me that is hard to believe, but everything is pointing to a not so rosy future for GM. And Ford is close behind. DC on the other hand seems to be doing some good things lately. This is not all the fault of bad product, some of it is, but a lot of it has to do with GM management of the company, which IMO has never been very good. It always seems to be a band aid approach on how to fix things there.

When GM tries, things like Cadillac result. New product, RWD cars that can compete with BMW, etc. and they have had their best sales quarter in over 12 years. But GM built their future on trucks and SUVs, and they aren't selling as well as they used to. Toyota has a lot of trucks and SUVs too, but they didn't build their foundation on it. The Uplander is a band aid approach. They took an 8 year old design, redesigned the front, updated the interior, but the added weight with an underpowered 3.5 has actually made this van slower. This is how GM should not do things. And sales prove this.

I think the Sienna is a fine van, not that I need anyone's validation on it. It is still a van, and not a Porsche, and not that I get to drive it very often anyway. True, it has no short version (no short GM version in the US yet either) and I wouldn't want one anyway. It doesn't cost more, even though you might think it does (true, a loaded XLE will cost more than a base Uplander, but an Uplander LS or LT can cost very close to similar Toyota models - I spec'd them all out this year), and it offers most of the same features GM vans do, and a whole lot more to boot. If you want to compare feature to feature, let me know. No, not everyone can afford a Sienna, nor can everone afford the Uplander either, and I wouldn't believe for a second everyone wants one. What a boring world that would be (but a reliable one).
    The Grand Am had a coupe, a 4 cyl base model which made up the bulk of sales (just as most Camry sales are base 4 cly models) and a Ram Air performance model. The line of G6s is not all out yet so your comparisons to the Grand Am sales are not valid. I think vanman pointed that out.

The GM vans have a 240HP 3.9 engine option coming this summer. Personally I will take the lower horsepower for better mileage. I am not racing people with my van. All vans had around 200hp a few years ago and some how people lived through it.

They are selling base RWB Uplanders for $20,000 CDN. Cheapest Sienna is about $30,000 CDN. My well equipped LS MSRP'd for under thirty. The Sienna is more money and they don't offer the lower rates GM does either. Sienna is more money no matter how you slice it.

I doubt your Sienna will be any more reliable than my Uplander either.
    Lets next time release only the next generation Camry as a V6, not release the coupe (Solara) and see if it it sells as well as the previous generation models. Hummm? Wonder if that will happen?
    I think another point worth making relates to the GM credit card and some of the unbelievable cash you can earn. A week ago today, we bought an Uplander LT that listed for $30,500, we paid 23,700 plus tax, title, license, and processing fee. How, you ask? 30,500-2,000 dealer negotiation-2,000 bonus cash-2,800 GM credit card cash. I actually had only earned 1,800, but when I got to the dealer they told me I had an additional 1,000. I later found out that GM is currently adding an extra 1,000 for GM card holders purchasing Uplanders. I'm not sure that the Sienna or Odyssey could touch this deal, although I'll admit that I didn't research the Sienna or the Odyssey

Our neighbors, who just bought a new Caravan, are very impressed (if not a little jealous of the SUV look). Some other friends with a Windstar say that their next van will be an Uplander after seeing ours.
    I realize that GM didn't build this vehicle new from the ground up and I'll admit that it bothers me a little that the rear hatch and a few other parts are re-cladded venture parts. However, once you sit inside the van it feels, drives, and sounds different from the Venture. After one week of service, I still haven't heard a rattle or squeak. How refreshing. I hope the 3.5 will be an improvement over the 3.4 in terms of reliability. The last thing I want to see on this forum is the intake issue re surfacing.
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    Not that I'm in the market for an Uplander, but after seeing one or two of them on the road, I felt compelled to come over to this forum to remark on their unspeakable ugliness. I guess they didn't fire the guy that penned the Aztec. What where they thinking at GM? Why didn't someone at GM take one look at the clay mockup and say "Over my dead body?"
    It looks like some kind of frankenvehicle...
    Even our 04 Montana has an incredibly smooth ride, I can only imagine it being better with the Uplander. We got an additional $2000 with our GM card also. No such thing as a Toyota card. The Beauty of the GM cars is, it doesn't cost a dime to use and allows you to save substantial amount for a new car/truck.
    I genuenely hope GM (and Ford) will do well and one day rule the world. But GM's vans are just not very compelling at this moment. We looked at the Uplander first, we even started using the GM card a long time before that to accumulate credit. But when I sat down and seriously priced the vans, the Uplander was simply too expensive. Actually, I just did it again for the sake of argument. A LS Uplander with the easy order package (one power door) sells for $23,807 on carsdirect.com. The Quest we just purchased cost $21,700 (with one power door,side curtain bags and rear parking sonar). An SXT Grand Caravan costs $22-23K (stow-n-go, two power doors, no side airbags). We simply couldn't see ourselves spend that much more on an Uplander when it's smaller, less versatile, and has no side airbags.

Of course, people appreciate different things in their vans and we all should buy according to our needs. Personally speaking, the Uplander unfortunately doesn't have one single attribute that's attractive to us. :(
    Different strokes for different strokes. Mechanically the Quest my be fine but aesthetically to me, it's very unattractive and it's dash is a mess. Typical Nissan these days because they used to have some nice looking cars. I love the old Maximas.
    Definitely, everyone has got his own cup of tea :) I didn't mean to trash the Uplander. Let's all enjoy our vans.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Nissan uses the VQ motor in the van, do they not? I have one in my 2000 maxima SE, and its revving motor with not much low torque. Smooth and good HP, but not much torque below 3000. Nissan makes a good reliable vehicle for the most part (remember the vans that burned up?), so enjoy. It probably runs circles around the 3.4-3.5 on the highway, even if it lags off the stoplight.

I'm amazed at the deals available now, it must killing used prices. I saw a Vue advertised for about $15,000, and as reported here you can get a $30k + GM van for low 20's if you go through the hoops.

If I wasn't so cheap, I might actually buy a new van with these deals!

S
    A used one might actually cost more than a new one, as in my case. The dealer had a base used 05 Quest with below 20 K miles, and he wanted more for that van than the new one he had :confuse: I thought I should be able to find a "new" used one for considerable less mone, but the dealers wouldn't budge on those.
    Yea, the Honda folks are also proud of their used vans, even private owners want nearly what a new one costs. Depending on your point of view, it could be good/bad deal. Personally, if I can spend a little more and get one brand new with a full warrenty, its a no brainer. I am currently driving a '98 Olds that I got for $11k loaded with all options, the domestic steep depreciation curve worked well for me.

The new vans - competition is stiff - but I would consider the ones with the new motor if it drives doesn't suck a lot of gas. I can barely get going with Houston traffic, so really the motor shouldn't be an issue with me, the 3.4 can go 90 all day long on the highway (well, not in mountains), faster than the law allows...so it fills the bill.

Let us know how the Nissan holds up vs the GM vans.

DD
    Are you from Houston? We were in Texas for 5 years...well you can probably tell by my screen name :) Is the speed limit still 55 mph? They lowed it a few years ago to fight smog ( :confuse: ), and many folks didn't like it. As I remember Houston's traffic is not that bad, well compared to here in Seattle anyway. Yeah, I'll definitely give periodic updates on our Quest.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, this discussion is all over the map. Please stick to discussing the vehicles in the title here -- the Uplander, Montana SV6, Relay, and Terrazza. If you'd like to discuss the fate of Ford & GM, try the News & Views Forum. If you'd like to talk about another vehicle, post in the Forum dedicated to that vehicle.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I really like those new GM vans. Yep, the GM Vans would be my choice of van. I cannot decide between the UPLANDER, the SV6, RELAY or TERRAZZA. I am not even going to bother comparing them to any other van, the GM van is the best. Lets not even name the competition, who cares about them?

Lets hear more stories of those who got a good deal recently on their GM vans.
    GM vans forever!

Dirk
    If I was buying today I would go Uplander. I like the Chevy look the best, it's interior is not substantially different to the Terrazza in LS form and it will save you $$. Buick needs to do more to give people a reason to pay the extra $$. I know it has a better suspension and a few extras, but a premium engine still needs to be added in my opinion.
    Having just bought a new Uplander, of course I agree. The next best looking is the Saturn, although I don't like the plastic body cladding around the bottom. Otherwise, I would have considered one. In my view the Buick is next in line, followed by the Pontiac. Definitely, the Chevy front looks the toughest.

Our first week around town the Uplander got 20 mpg. About what we expected. Should do 24 on a trip. We love it. I have an appointment scheduled Monday to get the generator replaced. I'm still not sure it needs it, but I want to be covered just in case. I'm planning to ask the service mgr. for a copy of the TSB to see the production periods involved.

Vanman, I've seen your postings in other GM forums, do you drive an Uplander?