Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge,Ford,Chevy-----Who Wins? - II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
This topic is a continuation of....

Topic 204 Dodge,Ford, Chevy -----Who Wins.

This topic has been split for performance
purposes. Please continue here. The original
topic will be frozen, and eventually archived.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
Tagged:

Comments

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I just made a deal today for a '00 Silverado 1500 LS, Z-71 Ext. Cab. I have owned Fords, Chrysler products (only trucks I ever owned were a Comanche and a Cherokee), Chevies and a couple of Japanese cars (most bought used). I own a Subaru Impreza AWD wagon right now. The Silverado will be our 2nd vehicle. So you see I have no real brand favoritism. I have been to a lot of the "topics" here and you can see that every brand has problem vehicles. I picked the Chevy on the design; my wife wouldn't look at the Ford because of the design (front and back lights).
    Anyway here's why we picked the Chevy:
    5.3L engine has 285hp, 325 ft-lb torque in 2000
    5.3L posts here report high-teens mpg
    The extended cab is the largest
    The Autotrac 4WD option
    Four wheel disc brakes
    GM makes some pretty decent smooth transmissions
    GM's credit card rebate makes up any price difference.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    kernick,
    Every engine techinally will put out the "teens" for mpg. Too vague for me.
    Dave40,
    The 6.0 outpulled the v-10? Yeah, tell me something we couldn't figure out! Were there any other tests or is this the only victory Chevy has over a losing war against Ford?;)
    Good question about the Rams, where are they to be tested? Personally I would like to get the four (Toyota included) companies to go head to head without comparing apples to oranges.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Roc

Kernick said mileage in the "high teens." That means gas mileage around 18 and 19 mpg. As opposed to Ford's 13 or 14 mpg. That would be considered "low teens" :)
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    You just summed it up, Car and Driver, not Truck and Driver.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    If GM trucks are better than Fords then my dog blitzie is gonna win the Heisman Trophy this year.
    cdean,
    You got me with my guard down.
    Dave40,
    How do I find that article? When I went to the site I couldn't find it. Hmmm,just typical Chevy propaganda?? By the way, my two 95 Chevys are on the block and we are searching for HD replacements. We might check some cummins out along with the Fords. I doubt that the Chevy dealer will have much but we'll hit them as well. I'll keep all of you updated as progess develops.
    Not a mistype--I meant Cummins. It comes with a Dodge body!LOL!
    Listen up, this topic is a debate subject and I want to include the Tundra in our debate. The guys were crying in the fan subject so I invite all warriors to continue here.
    First volly:Since the truck is made in Indiana--does anyone consider it an "american" truck? Or do the big 3 fans see Toyota stepping on sacred ground?
  • mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    The way I see it is that the Tundra is not an "american" truck because all the big money leaves the country. But on the other hand does Burger King produce american hamburgers since it is owned by a foreign power?

I just don't consider anything but the big 3 to be a real truck, but I truly invite Japan to keep trying. It can only help improve the market.

Mike F
    Being a ford owner I have to throw in a few jabs every once in awhile.I checked out that pic of the chevy performance truck it looked very nice I hope to see one on the road soon.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Tundra probably won't be accepted as an American truck unless NASCAR lets them into the Craftsman Truck races.

July sales figures will be out in a couple of days - so let's see if the Tundra maintains its strong showing from June.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
    The sales figures?? Oh, yeah, that is the crazy stat that Ford seems to win all the time.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Tundra owners won't have time to get over to this topic ... too much time spent justifying their purchase of an overpriced, underpowered small "full size" truck...that rattles...

Seriously, I'm sure that the Tundra is a fine truck, although I've never understood how Toyota ever got a reputation for making "tough" trucks. Their small trucks are wimps...and their head gaskets all blow. I am curious how Toy's small truck sales hold up ... or will the primary buyers be those that WOULD HAVE bought a small Toyota anyway.
    They must have gotten the "tough" label from the rust eating through everywhere. Toy-o-crap.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Tundra sales for July were a little over 3800 vehicles. Down from the 8000 in June. I would not read anything into that except that you can't sell what is not on the lot! Almost every vehicle that has been allocated to our local dealers is either pre-sold or has a waiting list of buyers. They do not stay around long in this part of the country(High Point, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, NC). It will be interesting to see the sales #'s when production can keep up with demand. I have been waiting on mine since July 3rd. By the way, we are in the heart of Nascar country. Mark Martin, Terry Labonte, Kyle Petty, Richard Petty, and on and on live HERE! Thanks for the invite, Rocles.
    Last weekend my wife and I, and another couple went on a conoe trip in upstate Michigan. Total round trip was around 500m.
    We deciced to take his 1999 4x4 ext.cab. Silverado and leave my 1999 F150 4x4 ext.cab. in the garage. My friends truck sported the 4.8l while mine has the 5.4l. Engine wise,this may not be a fair comparison, but both trucks are otherwise similar. Being a Ford man it was hard to be objective but I was going to try.
    My wife and I sat in back on the way up, and we both agreed that the back seemed a little bit bigger than my 150, but not enough to notice after a 100 miles. I could not actually feel that much of a size difference between the two trucks.
    Not having the fourth door was defineately a minus. Every time we stopped I was reaching for that fourth door and grabing air. I never thought the fourth door was that big of a deal until you go without it.
    The trip did not start out very well. On the way up his battery and clock died. Also, instruments lights would sometimes work and somtimes not. And also, his air quit working. We limped to a near by town and got the battery situation resolved and continued on our trip.
    The engine seemed adequate. The truck smoothly handled various acccelerations. I wish we were hauling a trailer so I could really see what it was made of. The ride quality wasn't bad but I did not think it rode as nice as my 150. And it seems like your [non-permissible content removed] is draging the ground in this truck compared to my 150. However, I have the Off Road package and he does not. Not a fair comparison.
    There also seemed to be a lot of air noise around the third door area. Which was a little anoying if you were in back. But as far as inside ergonomics the Chevy equaled or surpassed the Ford. I do like were Ford places the cruise control on the steering wheel vs. GM. on the turn signal. The turn signal seemed too clutterd.
    There also seemed to be a lot more plastic in this truck than mine. Maybe I am wrong ! However the seat belt location was more convient than my 150.
    I feel that this truck is about par for a first year production. For right now, until GM gets a chance to make improvements, I think my 150 is a better overall truck.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I HATE having controls on the steering wheel. We have them that way on our Sebring convertible and on a Ranger I had borrowed for a few weeks. You always have to find the button if you're not going straight. On the turn signal the buttons are ALWAYS in the same place. I much prefer the turn-signal style.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Wall St. Journal reported today that GM sales were up 60% over the same period in '98. Ford's were down 5-10%. The reasoning is that in '98, Ford picked up sales while GM was on strike, and after the strike, some of the gains were given back
  • hduellhduell Member Posts: 1
    bought a new gmc truck - when i found it used a quart of oil per thousand miles (yep, thats right)i went to the dealer and finally to gm. they all treated me like they could care less. finally spoke with a supervisor at gmc customer service and was told that was the gm standard for all 350 truck motors. asked for something in writing but of course they had nothing. YOU READ THIS RIGHT, SHE BURNS A QUART OF OIL PER THOUSAND MILES. I HAVE LESS THAN 40 THOUSAND MILES ON HER.
    Clowns with shiny trucks don't work 'em. Can't judge if you don't use them for their intended use in my book. I'm growing less weary on the Tundra but I need more hp and payload this year as I'm replacing two half-tons.
    Dave40,
    BTW, those two half-tons are bowties that were nothing but a hole in our books. I think I'll look toward Dodge or Ford this time.
    Roc
    You should have changed your oil more frequently and used Mobil-1. My '90 S10 4.3L, basically the 350 vortec with two cylinders chopped off does not move off the full mark between oil changes. Has 108,000 miles, fresh and non-abused.
    hduell

it sounds like you have an intake gasket leak, or valve seal leak. Something really simple that costs a lot in labor, they don't want to pay for.
  • jeffthrojeffthro Member Posts: 35
    Boy, this really does sound like the best fish story I've ever heard. Oh, but you did mention that you are a Ford man and it was hard to be objective. So much for pleasantries.
    Check out, www.trucktrend.com they have some really good articles on all the pickups.They even did a road test on the dodge, ford, chevy. There is also some info on the tundra, the 2000 f150 crewcab. gmc 2001 changes,99 typhoon and cyclone, and of course the fastest truck of all time my lightning,
  • snookeysnookey Member Posts: 19
    I cant believe this guy. Holy Sh*t please shut up about your ugly GM product. Its okay to be proud of your truck but when every 6 or so posts say "6.0 SS" or some other gay thing, thats going overboard. Hell if you spent as much time talking nice to the ladies as you do reading and writing posts you might lose your virginity before your 40.

There's a thought eh?
    Dave40 needs that truck to haul the manure he manages not lose here after every spewing.
  • tcfitztcfitz Member Posts: 4
    We just got into a Silverado LS 5.3, 2wd, sb, xcab, our first truck after decades of vans and minivans. Our selection process wasn't totally rational, but not totally flakey; market choice is wonderful, is it not? We are a one-car family, so this vehicle had to do it all. Here's how it went: Dodge: wife didn't like the styling, I didn't like what I heard about low mpg and powertrain, so we didn't even demo. Ford: we both liked the F-150 a lot, didn't enjoy the Ford dealer experience in our area; probably would have bought if they'd treated us better. Thought F-150 had nicer front seats than Chevy, best styling, also loved xcab 4th door. Toyota: One dealer very nice, one not. No selection in our area, would not buy without trying; liked styling, smaller exterior size(we live in town), reports on V-8, but xcab lack of rear seatleg room and no selection fatal. Chevy: Dealers were nicer (maybe trying harder because F-150 leads the mkt?). Even the 4wd we drove was quieter than F-150; liked dashboard ergonomics best, except for cruise control on stalk; love rear seat (tho' like how Ford's folds up better), miss 4th door. Split bench seats comfy around town, we'll see on a road trip soon; like front seat belts, leather steering wheel (whoo hoo!). We'll report in on other topics like gas mileage, etc. when we have some miles on.
    tcfitz,
    May I ask how much?
    Second, you shouldn have demoed the Dodge. You would be running and screaming to the Chevy dealer instead of wondering.
  • sbehmsbehm Member Posts: 3
    If you're looking at '99 F-150s, you should see if
    one of your local dealers will give you some or
    all of the $1000 cash apparently being offered by
    Ford to dealers until end of month. One of my
    local fleet dealers is selling his '99s at invoice
    less the full $1000.
  • trucklovertrucklover Member Posts: 51
    does anyone in this site actually use their vehicle for work? Or, do you just drive it on the road to work and maybe haul a bush or two one the week-end.

Are there any respondents that actually have their bed full more than empty. I would imagine that a lot of you just drive your trucks as cars. Am I completely wrong or am I in the ball park?
    Speaking for myself only, I usually only haul light gear and tools in the truck itself, no more than 200-300lbs (more volume than weight restraints for me), but almost every weekend I tow a 4000+ lb boat. I'm always throwing wet ski gear, fishing gear, dirty odds and ends tools, and luggage in the bed. I also move often, so I haul furniture every couple of months. My truck needs are on the verge of outgrowing my ex-cab 1/2 ton shortbed. take away my truck and you'd have to give me a handicapped sticker for my bike....
    I manage a $2 billion global network of e-commerce companies over the internet from a notebook with truck mounted satellite modem.

It's not true, but it would make a nice IBM commercial.
    From what I see when out and about, Fords and Dodges are mostly used on construction sites etc. and Chevys are more of a people and boat haulers (not exclusively dave40). True? or Not True?

A lot of the sites for these talks seem to reflect alot of guys blowing time sitting at their desk at work talking about their daily driver and week-end hauler. This might not be the best representation for deciding which is the best truck. I would like to see a bunch of construction workers fight over the best truck. they would seem to have the best info on the big three.
  • planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    There is no doubt that Ford is good for heavy hauling/construction. I don't think anyone here is doubting that anyway. Ford makes superduty trucks just for that reason, I do believe that the quality is there - no one is doubting that either. Alot of people are not arguing apples to apples, anyway.

I ordered my '00 3/4 ton ext. cab SILVERADO (let it be here soon!!!!) for the purpose of hauling concrete, lumber, building materials (we are building a home in N. Wisc.) and towing: boat, concrete mixer, front end loader, etc., and 4x4 back road trailing (northern wisc. has hundreds of miles of backroads), etc.. etc.. etc..

The point of the debate, in my opinion, is what us "Chevy Lovers" are saying is:

THE SILVERADO IS THE ALL-AROUND TRUCK FOR EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT IN A TRUCK:

HAULING, TOWING, COMFORT, CONVENIENCE, STYLE, TOUGHNESS, WORK, PLAY, ETC.. I COULD GO ON...

No, we are not yuppies. The best truck is best for all situations, the HD Ford is NOT. It needs to be loaded before it feels sturdy/stable on the road. We're not talking 1/2 ton's here. (The Silverado 1500 blows away Ford's sissy F150). You are right to some extent. But you cannot claim "best" for dodge and ford, otherwise you are all "opinion". My husband is a construction worker. He wants this truck to last. We all know that Chevy's will.

:) That is my 3 cents. Cindy
    I'll add my 2 cents worth to Cindy's. Now she has 5 cents.
    Cindy, Your 3 cents must be Canadian currency(not worth crap),Because I cannot find one Chavy half ton to compete with my sissy 5.4.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I use my truck to haul my family on my off hours. During the day it is used as a business car and a delivery truck. I have a short bed that is never full (space) and frequently pushing the weight limits. It is not uncommon to put a 2000# die in the back of my 1500 dodge.
    well, on a couple of occaisions, i have been running errand in my truck when the phone rang with an urgent call to go pick up some engine blocks or other parts. I've had 2 800# engine blocks in the back of my halfton, and another occasion i had just under 2000# in cranks and connecting rods. but if that were my normal duty, i would have bought a bigger truck.

i don't think Chevy's are the only truck bought for personal uses. I have MANY friends with F350 powerstrokes and a one or two with dodge duallies, and heaviest thing they haul in it is the babyseat and groceries...

as far as the construction sites, here in Texas, I only see Chevy and Ford in the fleets. BUT, i've noticed that a lot of your independent contractors (welders, hotshot services, etc.) are buying Dodge one ton with Cummins.

f220swift,
    remember all the rambling i've done at you about how the wider torque curve of the Chevy will pull a load better? check out the Truck Trend web article about Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford. with a full load, the Chevy outpulled the others, in which they cited the same reasons I did in my responses to you (under load and/or acceleration, the GM is just getting into its powerband when the Ford and Dodge come out of theirs fairly quickly.)

nonetheless, I don't think of your 5.4 as "sissy". Ford has given nice power to that engine. if they could just give it mileage, too....
    I think I hurt you feelings.. I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this topic!

You even agreed with me that you have a sissy 5.4.

OK, your truck is not a sissy truck, geez, you Ford people are sensitive.

LOL (Uh oh, I'm going to get it now).

Cindy :-o

(We're still friends, aren't we??)
    planejane and trucklover,

Does my name ring a bell around this conference or not??????
    I've been here for two years screaming about trucks used in construction. Hmmm, seems to me I own a roofing firm with over 30 trucks currently and I have made some input here and there. Funny, I started the construction truck topic and we ended up talking about beer and hunting because no one would enter. I assume since I haven't seen you two there that you are non-users as well.
    Cindy, What does your husband do? I know construction guys, I am a construction guy and here we generally favor Ford. Sissy F-150s? Why? Because it doesn't have the poser look of the Ram or boredom all over it like the Chevy?
    trucklover,
    Most people at this site don't care what guys like me have to say. I tell them of my expierences of all three and they'll refute with paper statistics without real-world testing. Just look around here as an example of people asking questions like: "Oh yeah, we'll be building a house and also tow our monster boat up and down gigantic mountains and we don't want a sissy looking truck." Sure. Read between the lines. They are actually saying:"We might put a 40lb bag of top soil in the back every month and tow our 12ft fishing boat in flat Florida and we want a truck that looks good to our neighbors."
    How do I compete with that?

Good luck on getting responses from guys like me.
    Planejane,

There doesn't seem to be anything plain about you.

Thanks Rocles. I do remember seeing your entries. I was hoping for more like you but I guess it's a lost cause. I think wildmanbaker may be a construction guy.
    It's not: We 'will' be building a house, we ARE. We're also not contracting the work, we're doin' it ourselves. Bare hands and all (not looking for a pat on the back). And trucklover, no there's nothing plain about me, It's Plane-Jane aka, a chick who likes to fly planes.

And no, we're not carrying "40lb bag of top soil in the back every month and tow our 12ft fishing boat in flat Florida and we want a truck that looks good to our neighbors." I do understand what you mean about the typical yupster who is trying to drive a pick up truck for trips to the office and groceries. Like I said, no yuppie here.

Hubbie is electrician- current project- industrial plant. I admit that isn't a factor in the choice for work trucks, even though he works with heavywall and high voltage, he does not utilize his truck for work, he just shows up with a bucket of tools. (AH HA, you say), but that wasn't my point. I guess I stepped on a few toes here, so I will just 'read' for awhile.

My point being, as I said before, FORD is an ideal truck for the 'tough' construction guy. I also said quality, now didn't I? If you men will read it again, I said, it was my OPINION, that the best truck, is best for ALL situations. Do, read between the lines.

So, dude, Ford WINS, in the construction truck debate. Happy?

;-) Cindy
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I wouldn't worry about stepping on anybody's toes here. This is a place to air what's on your mind regardless of what other's think.They all have merits and drawbacks and the final decision is ussually determined by which drawbacks are least objectionable (to you).
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    What type of planes do you like to fly? I also enjoy flying.

Eric USAF
    I curl my toes under when I enter Edmunds.
    Planejane thanks for the clarity. I thought you just couldn't spell. :0
  • pbwjrpbwjr Member Posts: 6
    I'm buying a 2000 extended cab F-150 after reading numerous posts about multiple problems with the 1999 Silverado. I'm not interested in the Dodge because of its size. I'm 38 years old and this is the first truck I've ever bought. I'm buying it solely for the convenience of hauling wet/muddy mountain bikes, fishing and camping gear, and a 16' boat. It should arrive sometime in September.
  • nocartersnocarters Member Posts: 8
    pbwjr: Can you summarize what the problems are? I was also going to get an F150 until I test drove both and parked them side-by-side. I can't imagine anyone getting the Ford after that. Looks like an alien ship.
    planejane,
    Well, I thought you were coming here to start a good lively debate but alas.....
    Electrician? Good line of work but you're right-not a profession that utilizes trucks to the abuse category. BTW, don't most of those guys drive vans? LOL!
    Oh, I'm just trying to get you started again. ;)
    Sorry if I sounded to "construction" for you about the comparisons to average truck drivers. I think you got my frustration.
    Hi guys!

rocles: yeah, I think most electricians DO drive vans, LOL, I did find that particularly funny.

Eric16: If you are USAF, you fly a lot bigger planes than I do.

I'm sorry, I have to agree with NOCARTERS, the Fords do look like alien ships. Are you Ford guys really aliens disguising yourselfs as construction workers? ;-P
    Cindy
This discussion has been closed.