Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kittylover1kittylover1 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like we both got good deals. I only deal with sales mgrs for the price via the phone. Then when they are ready to write it up I get a sales person. I dont have the time or energy to have a salesperson go back & forth trying to reduce the price.No hassels when you deal directly with the sales mgr. For me, I tell the sales mgr what I want as them for thier best price, dont share prices from one dealer to the next & just buy from the one whos package is the best. Sewell was very disappointd in our case calling us back twice but the decision & contract had already been made. I would refer the Sewell Salesguy I spoke to as he was upfront & honest & had great follow up, same with the Sewell Sales Mgr. Think we both did well! How fun a new car!! Have a good evening!
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    I got the best deal from Magnussen in Fremont and liked the sales force much better than the Lexus dealer in Redwood City. I used the fleet salesman at Magnussen. As to FWD/AWD in my opinion it depends on how often you plan to go to snow country, how flexible your plans are (if snowing stay over another day?, etc) and if you want to use chains or not. As I ski 15 or so days each year, I got the AWD, if I only went up once a year or so I probably would get the FWD. I am sure others here can tell you the technical aspects of each. I haven't driven my RX330 in the snow yet as we got it the end of ski season last year. Wil let you know the results of my first experience, hopefully in early December.
  • mvandormvandor Member Posts: 2
    I am in San Diego and in discussions for a 2005 FWD RX330 virtually maxed out, with the GPS and DVD entertainment system, upgraded sound, etc. I have been quoted a "special Internet price" (I used the build your Lexus tool on lexus.com) of $43,989 + tax & lic. fees. I am interested in your impressions as to whether this is a fair price or whether I should attempt to negotiate or speak with other dealers.
  • jackieengjackieeng Member Posts: 1
    alolewis,
    How much did Magnussen Fremont quote you, I got an offer from Redwood City $1500 over invoice. I want to get the FWD with premium plus, navigation, heated seated with rain sensor wiper, but the dealer told me Lexus will not make the RX in FWD in this combination, I can only get heated seated with rain sensor either with loaded with rear seat entertainment and ML audio or in AWD only. Do you know anything about it?
  • sankalpsankalp Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am planning to buy 2005 RX330 AWD with following options in Washington DC Metro area.

2005 RX330 AWD
    Navigation
    Premium plus (included 6 CD changer)
    18" wheels
    Heated front seats w/rain sensor wipers,headlamp washers
    Preferred accessory pkg (cargo mats, wheel locks)

Did anyone got in the area recently at a good price? Any recommendations for a dealer?

Thanks,
    -San.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Can you please share some of the buys you have made on AWD RX330 in Illinois?
  • suversuver Member Posts: 4
    Toyota's Cambridge plant has the capacity to build about 60,000 RX's per year and their Kyushu plant builds the other 15,000 to make Lexus' target of 75,000 units, according to some auto industry reports that I've read.
  • lsouterlsouter Member Posts: 13
    I bought my 2004 RX330 from Lexus of Annapolis last month. I tried Silver Spring and Rockville - both left me dizzy with their antics. Lexus of Annapolis has a great internet department and is very nice to deal with. No gimmicks and competitive pricing. They beat everyone's price for the vehicle we wanted AND they had our specific color. We were in and out in under one hour - they even came to pick us to take delivery of the vehicle!

Here's what we got:
    2004 AWD RX330 Premium Plus Bamboo/Ivory
    All the goodies:
    Premium Plus Package with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, Roof rails/roof rack. Also includes: Leather-trimmed interior, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with memory, Illuminated entry system and Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade.
    Additional Options:
      - Two-level heated front seats (includes rain-sensing variable intermittent wipers and headlamp washers)
      - 18-in alloy wheels (235/55VR18 and full-size spare)
      - Towing package
      - Six-disc CD changer
      - Preferred Accessory Package (includes cargo mat and wheel locks)

Paid 37,900 + ttl

My husband keeps it shiny and I get to ride in it alot! (He thinks the car was for him :-))
  • jack20jack20 Member Posts: 6
    I'd got a quote for a 2005 RX330 FWD, with Premium Plus and Nav. Breakwater blue exterior and light gray interior for $41980 out the door price (includes everything). Is this a good deal? I'm in San Diego area btw.

Thanks
  • khall61khall61 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a Lexus RX330 in the Boston, MA area?
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    According to Edmunds TMV, a car configured like yours would cost $41,717 before taxes. I would say you are getting a very good deal. Would you mind sharing the dealer's name and more detailed info on additional options and tax/registration fees, so out of state people can get a better idea of how good your deal is? Here in SF, the sales tax is a whopping 8.5%! This translated to $3,630 in sales tax and registration fees for my RX330. In contrast, those lucky buckos in Oregon pay zero sales tax!
  • minyiminyi Member Posts: 27
    That doesn't sound right. That is the exact option I saw from one of the cars I saw in the dealer lot when I was looking for mine (one with Premium Plus pkg only). Check out lexus.com. I think they have 5 different "packages" they comes with. Or the dealership web sites sometimes have them too.
    Sure, the dealer is Lexus of Carlsbad. I'm not sure what's the breakdown of different fees and taxes. I think the tax is the same 8.5% here in San Diego, and destination fee about $600? Not sure about other fees. But again, this is just a quote right now, and the sales said they don't have the car yet. So I'll see if they'd honor this when the car gets here and when I go there in person. But no sales tax in Oregon?! Do you think the dealers there raise their prices because there's no tax?
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    Jack: I'm in SCal too. Invoice price on your 330 is 35741 (this from dealer email near L.A.) This includes delivery fee. Add dealer profit, tx and title and relatively small admin fee from dealer (say $45) and you can compare value of your quote. That same dealer you mentioned above told me over email "I do not work from invoice". I replied, "Too bad." And, I thanked her for the email reply.

I'm guessing you can do much better if you probe Lexus dealers in Orange County and Los Angeles area via email.

I'm guessing you can get under $37K, plus tx,ttl & fee if you are patient and seek out many dealers for quote.
    Jack: Additional info. for you:

Try email to: Lexus Mission Viejo and Longo Lexus. Ask for their best quote over invoice. Tell 'em when you want to buy, etc.

May be helpful.
    Thanks buckeye. Btw, can you get invoice prices from the web? I tried edmunds, yahoo, and a few others and so far none showed invoices for the 2005 models and their options. I already put down a deposit over the phone to this dealer, and I wonder how hard it will be if I want to get out of it :(
  • eric2eric2 Member Posts: 14
    You can check the invoice price of 2005 model from carsdirect.com. The invoice price there is correct.
    I haven't had luck getting invoice over Internet. My invoice number in reply to you came from a regional Lexus dealer via email price quote...so, in a sense, I'm merely taking his invoice number as valid, when, in fact, I've never seen an official Lexus invoice to prove the number.

I do think it's pretty darn close, if not the actual invoice on the 330, Prem.Plus to include dest.charge.

It's your money, so if you want out of the deal tell 'em you've changed your mind. They should refund deposit immediately. OTOH, if you are happy w/dealer....

Again, I'm guessing you can do much better with price if you go out a bit further with inquiries.

Good luck.
    Lacks some of the "standard" dealer treatments here in SCal that I have received on email quotes. For example, the 330 Prem.Plus Pack. also includes hid lights and 18" wheels. So, the prices I revealed to Jack20 include these features, which appear to be "adds" in carsdirect.com.
    Thanks buckeye. Btw, can you get invoice prices from the web? I tried edmunds, yahoo, and a few others and so far none showed invoices for the 2005 models and their options. I already put down a deposit over the phone to this dealer, and I wonder how hard it will be if I want to get out of it :(
    BTW buckeye, did your quote included navigation system?
    Jack20: No Nav.
  • dgraysondgrayson Member Posts: 27
    Cars.com has the invoices for the 2005 Lexus RX330. I don't know what is taking edmunds.com so long to post.
  • dgraysondgrayson Member Posts: 27
    2005 Lexus RX 330
    Starting MSRP $35,775 – $37,175 Vehicle Style Selector

Starting MSRP Invoice*
     Front-wheel Drive Base $35,775 $31,659
     All-wheel Drive Base $37,175 $32,898
    Destination Charge: $625

RX 330 All-wheel Drive Base
    Option Groups MSRP/Invoice*
    Premium Package $2,145/$1,716
    Includes illuminated entry system.
       Leather Trim Interior
       Roof Rails w/Rack
       One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof
       Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel w/Memory

Premium Plus Package $2,960/$2,368
       Leather Trim Interior
       Roof Rails w/Rack
       High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps
       Adaptive Front Lighting System

Towing Package $160/$128
       Large Radiator
       Towing Hitch
       Transmission Cooler
       Wiring Harness

Navigation System/Mark Levinson Audio Package $6,790/$5,464
    The standard compass located in the rearview mirror is relocated to the navigation screen. Includes voice activation.
       Bluetooth
       Rear View Camera
       Premium Plus Package
       Leather Trim Interior
       Roof Rails w/Rack
       Mark Levinson Audio System

Performance Package $4,675/$3,740
    Wheels: 18" Graphite Plated Aluminum Alloy
       Tires: 235/55R18 AS
       Premium Package
       Leather Trim Interior
       Roof Rails w/Rack
       Rain Sensing Wipers
       Air Suspension
       Sequential Automatic Transmission

Multi-Panel Moonroof Package $3,740/$2,992
       Multi-Panel Moonroof

Wheels MSRP/Invoice*
    Wheels: 18" Aluminum Alloy $215/$172
       Includes full size spare.
       Tires: 235/55R18 AS

Wheels: 18" Graphite Plated Aluminum Alloy See package
    Tires MSRP/Invoice*
    Tires: 235/55R18 AS See package
    Audio MSRP/Invoice*
    6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer $500/$375
    Other Options MSRP/Invoice*
    Leather Trim Interior See package

Dynamic Laser Cruise Control $600/$480

Roof Rails w/Rack $220/$176
    See package

Rear Seat Entertainment System $1,840/$1,472
    Includes a DVD player with 7" screen, 2 wireless headphones and a remote control.

Heated Front Seats w/RS $665/$532
    Rain Sensing Wipers
    Headlamp Washers

High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps $815/$652
    See package

Heated Front Seats $540/$432
    Headlamp Washers

Navigation System $2,350/$1,980
    See package
    The standard compass located in the rearview mirror is relocated to the navigation screen. Includes voice activation.
       Bluetooth
       Rear View Camera

Rain Sensing Wipers $125/$100
    See package
  • termitetermite Member Posts: 5
    All 2005 invoices for all options are available
    at Kelly Blue book. www.kbb.com
    It sounds reasonable to me. Yet, it seems like it really depends on where you are. The MSRP seems to be roughly $5000 over invoice. Folks from CA and FL seems to have good competition, and heard some got just $500 over invoice. I got $1,200 over invoice in TX, which consider a pretty good esp. for 2005.

As long as you are firm with number you going to go for the trade-in, I don't think it matters if you do it same time, or do it after settling for the new car. In my case, both dealership checked out the trade-in first before even start any negotiation. I got $500 below the value from KBB trade-in value. I think they typically low ball on the trade-in and cut the price on the new car first. In my case, I showed them the kbb.com result on their own computer, and he eventually came close to that number, and I said, if this much for the trade-in and this much over invoice, you got a deal. He came back from his manager, and said yes.
    Yet, they come with some "additional" stuff, so to get the exact (invoice) price, need to go to lexus.com, and see what they have, and add those in too. The dealer told me ALL dealers in mid-west gets the cars that way. If this wasn't the way, I would have thrown away some of those "junks" and get something else.

http://www.lexus.com/lexusConfigApp/index.jsp?modelName=RX&mo- delCode=94

Pick FWD or AWD with ZIP code.

Then, do the math on kbb.com
    Is where I put down deposit today on '05 RX330, fwd, prem.plus package w/2nd "options" (see Lexus.com prices and packages), which at retail $3809, includes 18" wheels, 6 CD changer, hid hdlights.

MSRP: $40257

Final Price: $36141

Multiply this by 9.25% (roughly) and add to final price: Total w/tx,ttl,doc fee: $39286

No trade, cash deal.

If interested address email to "Internet Sales Manager"
    Magnussen quoted me $500 over invoice which I thought was very good. I used the fleet/internet salesman. When we purchased (February) we got one of the standard packages of AWD, Luxury Plus package, Nav system, etc. Lexus only packages the cars in certain configurations according to what the dealer associations want is what they told me, can we say "antitrust" here.
  • sandimas3sandimas3 Member Posts: 2
    I drove my '05 FWD 330 off the lot Tuesday night, after a 3 week wait, and according to my paperwork it was made in Japan. Do you have any idea if there is any difference/changes between the 2 plants?
  • suversuver Member Posts: 4
    Re: Do you have any idea if there is any difference/changes between the 2 plants?

I don't think so, but don't know for sure. BTW, I bought my 05 rx330 FWD with nav on Tuesday night, too. I guess we contributed to Lexus best ever 3rd quarter in which they sold 7,525 units of RX 330! (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041001/laf048_1.html)
    Did anyone noticed the packages on lexus.com shows different? There is no Premium Plus with HID and some only. It only shows the one with HID with Navi.
    I gave some erronous information on my last post. My 2004 RX330 AWD base price, $36575, plus towing package, 18 inch wheels, heated front seats and rain sensing wipers, Nav system, Premium Plus - leather, moonroof, power rear door, HID, roof rack, Cargo mat and wheel locks plus delivery, total price $44,188. Magnussen charged $40,700 plus tax and tags, this was supposed to be $1000 over invoice. I was happy with the price and service, used fleet salesman.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    The build function on the lexus website brings up the packages that Lexus is mass producing and sending out to your dealership ... anything different you'll have to special order.
  • bobg2bobg2 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Minyi,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering which tx dealership you got the deal?

If prices in CA/FL are so good, would it be a good idea to buy there and drive back to your home state? I think you can save on the local tax too, right? Any body has done so? and what is the pros and cons?

Thanks,
    bob
    Any buying experiences in San Jose, CA? I will be travel there next week on business. I am thinking if there is a good dealership you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

bob
    I just got this invoice from a dealer:

For RX330 2005 FWD MSRP $35775/inv $31659
    Add options as:
    FT 18' Aluminum alloy wheels $215/inv$172
    PM Premium Package $2145/inv $1716
    RS Rain Sensing Wipers $125/inv $100
    To Towing Package 160/inv $128
    DC 6-Disc in-dash CD auto changer $500/inv $375
    Z1 Preferred Accessory pkg $158/inv $95

destination $625
    LDA (local dealer advertisment) $447

-------
    Total MSRP $39703 Inv. $35317

also on the invoice there are something like "This invoice does not reflect hte dealer's ultimate vehichle cost in view of $715.00 reserve and $357.00 wholesale finance reserve which are returned to dealer and any rebate, allowance and incentive, which are paid to the dealer."

Does this mean the real margin for the dealer is still higher or $1500 + $715 + $357 + the LDA of $447 ? Does any one really cut into this area?

If I pursue the $1500 over invoice cost, how should I calculate this? $35317 + $1500? or shoudl I minus the LDA, $715 and $357?

Thanks,
    bob
  • 4424jm4424jm Member Posts: 25
    msrp $42583 , kbb invoice $37274 , cars direct $37721 , edmunds $37721 . Anyone know which is correct. have price in san jose of $42,500 out the door including 8.5 tax . Can i do any better? FWD with nav+
    4424jm: Which dealer in San Jose offered you that
            price ?I was quoted $33,364 out the door
            for the same vehicle by the Fremont one.
            Did you speak to Steven Creek ?
    Sorry, I meant $43,364 in the above post.
  • yyggyygg Member Posts: 4
    I just got my deal done in San Jose

MSRP $42583
    my price $38658
    the invoice in KBB is $37274
    the invoice dealer shows is $37721, which includes
    advertise fee, so is higher than KBB's

Options include:
    Preferred Accessory Pkg
    Premium Plus Pkg
    Navigation System includes RV camera & compass
    Radio Equipment
    18" wheels
    I just got one with the exact same options today, in San Diego, for $38001, which is $727 over invoice. I think this is a steal!
    Stevens creek is the one that quoted me $42500 out the door.
    I worked on the deal on both Park Place and Sewell. That is pretty much only two Lexus dealers in Dallas metro area. I think there is another one in Grapevine and one in Forth Worth. The Grapevone one is owned by same auto group as Park Place I think. I think clicking on the id "minyi" would give all my previous postings?

I think, as always for something degotiable. better to deal with more than one place, and get a quote from both. I had a feeling that as long as the numbers are reasonable/believable you got from another place, the other place is more than willing to beat it, yet it is quite a delicate situation. If not done correctly, can have a negative impact.

I wasn't that lucky with internet sale quotes. Just got one reply,and it was onny 2k below MSRP.

No matter how "nice" the Lexus dealership salesmen are, they are still salesmen. Almost all of them tried to make me feel like the car I was looking at would be gone today or over weekend if I didn't get it today. I made more than 10 trips to the dealer before I actually get it. So, don't fall for this kinda "pushing". Take your time, and get the car you exactly want. Like my wife said, this is darn expensive car (for us), and if we get it, get exactly what we want. Stick with the one you researched, and the one with exact options and color.

It's been almost a week driving the new 05 RX330, and feel like a million bucks! Can't be more happier with it.

I still wonder what happened to leuxs.com. AWD version seems tobe same as before, but FWD version do not have the one I bought, which was Premium Plus pkg only (with HID). There seems to be only one Premium Plus pkg available with the Navi now. Changed?

Good luck.
    Make sure you add all those extras exactly in kbb.com since Lexus only comes with those packages with additional options. When I calcualted mine, the MSRPs from Lexus.com and kbb.com has exact same number.
    jack20: Yes yours is a steal, even more because
            it appears the real invoice of this seem
            to be $37,721 which makes yours just
            $280 over invoice !.
    Thanks yygg I just left stevens creek lexus in san jose and got the exact deal. Walked in showed internet dept a copy of your post and they said they could match that. It took less than 5 minutes to settle on price. Anyone in bay area in the market for lexus should contact the internet dept at stevens creek. A1 experience
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Sounds like a lot of happy customers lately. That is a nice trend?
  • cmorincmorin Member Posts: 2
    Nice West Coast stories. Any recent recommendations in New York area to pay a small premium over invoice? Cheers.
    Good deal, but shouldn't have paid the "advertisement fee". One of the dealership tried to charge me with it, but I mentioned other dealership quote without it, they backed out on it.
This discussion has been closed.