Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• trs23trs23 Member Posts: 12
    I dropped you an email because we can't post the names of sales people on this board.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I just ordered my RX (Atlanta, GA) yesterday. For some reason the RX's that are here are all very low versions. Not one with Navigation or Mark Levinson.

Here is what I was told:

The dealer had a board with a bunch of these square pieces of paper. The orange ones were for the RX. She just found one for AWD (it is hard to get AWD here unless you order it) with the soonest "Build Date" (3/8/04). We decided what I wanted (every option except the DVD Entertainment System, Savanna Exterior/Ivory interior) and they uploaded those specs for that car. If they cannot find the exact car around the Southeast sooner, then that car will be built on 3/8/04 and they should get it about two weeks after that. (Rail from Canada.)

By the way, I've heard talk of Japan/Canada builds. I wonder what the deciding factor is?
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Was the RX the final resolution to your story about the LS?
  • elcybethelcybeth Member Posts: 3
    Working with the Lexus Store of Lexington (KY).

2004 RX 330 AWD
    Car MSRP: $36,575
    With the Premium Plus Package & Destination Charge - Total MSRP: $41,838
    Exterior Color: Neptune Blue Mica
    Interior Color: Ivory Leather Trim with Golden Bird's-Eye Maple

After a few days of trading prices I got them to $38,000 before taxes.

I also did a trade-in which they eventually got to a fair price. It will have to be a dealer trade for the color I wanted so I didn't think the overall purchase price was bad. A previous post told me to get there so I did.

Never did this alone before but I went in and test drove the car a few weeks ago so the salesman was familiar with me and then I handled the rest of the transaction by fax and phone. It took out the emotion of the purchase (not looking at someone or sitting in a showroom) and I was able to negotiate a little better (at least I think so...).

Thanks for all the info!
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Congratulations on your deal. Sounds very fair, with good trade in and all. My wife and I have the same AWD color combo, Neptune Blue/ Ivory. We really love the car and the uniqueness of the color. Happy and safe driving to you! If you have any driving impressions, questions, or issues, look forward to seeing you on the RX forums.
  • vincent7vincent7 Member Posts: 10
    Congratulations on the purchase of your RX 330. I have the same color combination. I also paid $38,000 for my RX 330. I use Zaino polish on the Neptune blue and what a shine.
  • rexusrexus Member Posts: 4
    Its a FWD.
    - Premium Plus is indeed as listed on the lexus site.
    - Nav.System with rearview camera is a separate package (Code : NV)
    - I got the exact color I wanted : Bamboo Pearl.
    I got it in the SF Bay area.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I've spent 3 months buying this car. I'm sure my salesperson is celebrating tonight seeing the end of me. To be fair (to myself) Lexus Lease started writing letters and making phone calls 6 months before the lease-end. They got me all worked up 5 months early.
        Bought one with an MSRP of $39,075 for $35950. I won't be calling "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" over the deal; but, I ultimately decided buying local and insuring that very, very nice service relationship was worth the extra 6,7,8 hundred I'd save buying from a dealer half way across the state. I'd say 75% of my Lexus choice is the vehicle, and 25% is great service I've not experienced with any other car.
  • vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    My last message was deleted for being to "ad"sy... Tidester said he'd put it back when I explained I'm not a salesman or anything... but it hasn't appeared yet, so I'm gonna repost part of it, instead. (Hope that isn't a problem)

For the person in Orlando that was looking for a good place in or around Central FL, I just bought an RX from Lexus of Tampa Bay about 3 weeks ago. Everything was real easy going; took a test drive, then contcted the internet guy through edmunds and he gave me a pretty good offer.

Black w/ Gray Interior
    Premium Package
    18" Wheels
    Power Rear Door
    Wood Steering Wheel & Shift Knob
    HD Alternator and Tranny Cooler (I guess it's a FL thing)

MSRP was $39,363
    He offered me $37,000 and I accepted. Ended up paying $38,000 something out the door with taxes and all that. Overall the whole experience was great, we were treated better there than at other "Luxury" dealerships. Good luck with your purchase!
  • fourizonlyfourizonly Member Posts: 17
    I was wondering if this is a good price. I was quoted $300 above invoice.

2004 RX330 FWD
    Premium Plus Package
    Preferred Accessory Package
    18" Wheel

MSRP $39,613
    Quoted Invoice $35,211 + $300 = $35,511
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    That price seems pretty good to me based on what I've seen here and what we got.

windy6
    The price is terrific. Just make sure that really is the invoice price by checking on this site. Your price is better than most I have seen posted and definitely less over invoice than what we paid. Good luck.
  • dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    I am looking for a 2004 RX 330 AWD in Dallas, TX

Premium Plus Package
    Heated seats and rain sensing wiper
    18" Wheel

Park Lexus quoted me $38,338 before tax. Is it a good deal?
    Got mine in same configuration, plus tow pack for $37,600 in Dec. '04, in SF Bay Area, CA. I think this is good price. Saw a couple of recent posts where some people beat this price by a couple of hundred. Good Luck.
  • elcybethelcybeth Member Posts: 3
    I just bought one like that with the Towing Package as well for $38,000 in KY.
  • fourizonlyfourizonly Member Posts: 17
    I just confirmed the price with the dealer. Yes, the invoice is $35,212 and I can get the car for $35,512. Thanks.
  • rx330rx330 Member Posts: 16
    Smart buyers

What is the lowest out-the-door price possible for the following configuration?

AWD
    Premium Plus Package
    18" alloy
    Towing Package

Reading the archieve, I figured $38000 may be best deal. Anyone has paid less than $38K for the above configuration?

Thanks!
    fx, could I refer your name with the dealership
    to get the same deal as yours? If so, pls email me dhanushika at hotmail dot com. thx! appreciate it.
    I got same package as you, plus:

car mats
    heated seats
    rain sensing wipers

for $37,600 in the SF Bay area. I have heard of people getting the RX for even less, by a few hundred dollars. Start at invoice and negotiate by e mail with dealers in your area. After you get some responses, e mail them counter offers and go to the ones who gave you the best quotes and start all over again. Go to the showroom and offer them invoice and start from there! The invoice on my package was $36,994.

You will get the best pricing if you wait till just before the end of the month to make your final deal. Dealers are scrambling to make their month end quotas. The only drawback might be that they will require you to take delivery from their existing inventory. You might have to be flexible on the exterior/interior color if they don't have exactly what you have in mind. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    gardencar, $37600 is awesome deal! Thanks for tips! dealers over here and in seattle quote that price for used 2003 RX300 with 20K milage!!!
  • dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    gardencar, I was quoted 37,999+TTL in Dallas, TX. I wanted the price to go down more, but AWD is in short supply here in Dallas. Do you think I should wait?
  • snowgirl1snowgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    On the RX330, I know a larger (18") wheel makes for a smoother ride but I am wondering which size tire, the 17" or 18" tire would be better in my MN snowy climate (and why)? Also I noticed on other messages and also on carsdirect pricing, that CA dealers trade closer to invoice and when I put in a zip from another state (like OR,WA, or MN) that the trade price is closer to the MSRP. Does anyone know why this is? Do CA dealers do that much more volume or are they discounting vehicles because the hybrid is coming and that is a bigger environmental thing in CA? Thanks!
    Snowgirl1,unfortunately, the 18" wheels do not make for a smoother ride, they are stiffer and bumpier, especially on uneven pavement. The 18"ers are purely for looks and improved handling. They are worth the slightly stiffer ride because they look awesome. IMO they are fine for snow, if you get some good snow tires. I heard Dunlop and Michelins make some good ones. Don't know the exact models. About the CA dealers, you are right. They give bigger discounts because of the large volume they deal in. Also, because of the competition. I have seven dealers within a 100 mile radius of where I live!

Rx330. Thanks and you're welcome. Those are outrageous prices the dealers in your area are quoting for used RX's. I seem to recall a post from the Portland area that sounded very reasonable. The larger dealerships tend to be the most willing to deal. I am posting a couple of more tips below. Good luck to you.

Henry, the price you quoted is pretty close to mine, except I think yours did not include tow. Mine is:

AWD
    Premium Plus
    Heated Seats w/RS
    Preferred Accsy Pack
    Tow Pack
    18" Wheels
    Floor Mats
    Invoice Price $36,994
    MSRP $41,688
    Negotiated Price $37,600
    Total Discount $4,088 or 9.8%

If you can get them to throw in the tow pack, then the pricing might be fine for your area. Generally, I feel you can get $1,000 to $1,500 less than the Edmunds TMV price if you go to the dealer prepared, and with some clear numbers in hand. Was this your dealers first, second, or third quote? Did you counter offer? If it was his first quote, there is definitely wiggle room. Don't let him use that "AWD is rare in these here parts" line. That AWD will come in handy in that next Texas rainstorm when the drops are the size of buckets! Offer them invoice via internet quote so you can print it out and get it in writing. You can then take the lowest quote and see if another dealer will come down even more. Depending on how much time and effort you want to expend, you can get these dealers to try and underbid each other. I like using internet quotes first because there is no pressure. If you can wait until the end of the month, that is when better pricing is generally available as dealers try to fill their quotas. Good luck.
    There is only one Lexus dealership in Portland area. The only other dealership is in Eugene which is 110 miles away. I asked quotes from all the 4 dealers in Seattle, no response yet.

Lets wait & see. Hopefully, it will be end of the month and like you said, they will be willing to negotiate at that time.

thanks!
    Will there be huge difference in ride quality between 17"ers and 18" ers?
  • pulisubspulisubs Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

We are looking to buy an RX330 or ES330 and wanted to find out if there are any Orlando guys out here who've had good/bad experience with Lexus of Orlando, the sole dealer in the area.

Even information about other dealers in the area (Melbourne, Tampa/Clearwater etc) are welcome.

If you worked with a particular salesperson, I'd appreciate if you email the name to pulisubs@yahoo.com.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    I know there was discussion in here before about JM Lexus. I called today inquiring about delivery charges and was not given an exact figure but was told delivery from their dealership to NY was around $500 so to VA it should be cheaper. I was then told that their pricing is extremely "aggressive" and they would really be willing to work with me. Seeing as how we are basically given only 2 configurations for the Central Atlantic region and I have 1 delearship within driving distance and another within about 120 miles I figured I'd expand my reach so to speak and see what kind of prices I'd be working with. Has anyone dealt with JM Lexus before? And has anyone had a car delivered to them before? I am afraid of it arriving with dings/dents. Please advise on your experiences/opinions, thanks! BTW I'm still torn between 4Runner Limited and RX330. Leaning towards RX seeing as how gas prices are creeping back up, but am wondering if it is really worth the extra $30 monthly payments lol
  • darktigerdarktiger Member Posts: 4
    FWD
    Sales Tax
    TTL/Destination
    Performance Plus Pack
    18" Alloy Wheels
    Transmission Cooler
    Tow Package
    Car Mats
    Rain Sensing Wipers
    Heated Seats
    and more :)

After 3 hours of negotiating Price $36k even.
    Ladyofluxury, yes it is, every penny!

Remember, your moniker is ladyofluxury, not utility! Anyway, it's great to hear from you again. Take care.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    lol I guess you are right. I will definitely post after my back-to-back test drives which will ultimately be the deciding factor for me. I am still concerned with what appeared to be large blind spots in the RX but I will know more once I drive them. I can't believe over a year of research and I'm still undecided! :-) Will it be ladyofluxury....or ladyofutility...
  • pulisubspulisubs Member Posts: 39
    The regular RX330 board may be the right one for this kind of response but here goes...

I have a 1997 4Runner Limited 4WD. Love the truck. When we lived in Cleveland, I would get the truck out specially in snow, just to get a kick out of the way it handles. Arguably one of the best off-road vehicles available this side of 40K. I drove a Pathfinder and a Montero Sport and felt very insecure with their handling :-(.

But unfortunately, its a truck. I get about 15 miles to a gallon in city and about 19 on the highway. I know the new one has a newer engine (4.0L V6 as opposed to my 3.4L V6) and better fuel efficiency but still, its a truck. It will ride stiffer than the RX330, undoubtedly. If you are looking for a family car, RX is the better option, IMHO.
  • gorbushkagorbushka Member Posts: 3
    Just received the quote from the first dealer via e-mail. Dallas, TX.
    2WD with
    Premium Plus
    Navigation w/rv camera
    18 inch wheels
    Heated seats w rain/s wipers
    Towing pack
    Cargo mat and Wheel lock
    MSRP: $42,788
    He offers to sell for $38,170
    Do you think it could be any lower? Any thoughts?
    I think its a good deal!. Howmuch they quote for the same options but AWD?
    Is is a out-the-door price?
    Da! Haroshi deal! Any discount over $4,000 is a good deal. $4,600 off is a great deal!
    It is $38,170, plus tax, plus $50 doc. fee, plus $93.80 license, plus $33.23 registration.
    I also have the trade-in which we agree to price based on KBB web site assessment. I sent the summary to the dealer on fax and he congirmed the appointment.
  • look4carlook4car Member Posts: 3
    Is Performance Package available in SF Bay area region? If it is, is it a good idea to get the Performance Package? Is it worth the money? Thank you.
    Park Place in Plano did a great job. The whole buying process took one and a half hours. Final price:
    2WD Bamboo Pearl with
    Premium Plus
    Navigation w/rv camera
    18 inch wheels
    Heated seats w rain/s wipers
    Towing pack
    Cargo mat and Wheel lock
    MSRP: $42,788
    Final price $38,170 +TTL
    I had a tade in 2002 Toyota RAV4 L package 24,000 miles for $12,400
  • donnadonna Member Posts: 23
    I don't know if gorbushka would tell me by email who he dealt with at the Park Place dealership but he got a much better deal than they are going to give me here. I don't have a tradein but will be paying cash. My email address for this is:
                   vandeedt@yahoo.com.

The one salesman who called would not even mention an amount.
  • engineerengineer Member Posts: 1
    In reading the early posts to this thread, I see the 2004 RX330's began showing up at dealerships in late March, 2003. This would seem to indicate that 2005's are not far off, and I'm wondering why our local Twin Cities dealerships are still sticking to minimal discounts and not even mentioning 2005's are just around the corner? Anyone got the word on when 2005 model year RX330's will be coming?

Thanks!
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    ...early September. That is when normal model years begin arriving at dealerships. The reason that the '04s arrived last March is because it was an early introduction of a brand new generation of RX. That is normally the way it is done with most vehicles.
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    Don't want to deal, Donna, mainly because IIRC with 5 stores there's only two owners. Call Lexus of Austin, or Park Place. Austin is actually closer to you.

We did our deal in about 30 minutes, they bought our lunch while they prepped it. We didn't save as much dollar wise but ours was just a premium package, 18" wheels, towing, cargo mats and wheel locks. IOW what passes for a stripped down RX 330. MSRP was 39233, we got $3500 off.

Contact me for salesman's name if you want
  • fsc1555fsc1555 Member Posts: 42
    donna email me at fsc1555@aol.com and I will let u know who I dealt with in Park Place .
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you mark your email public in your Profile, other members will be able to reach you but your email address will get picked up by fewer web search engine spiders (like Google). And that may limit the amount of spam you get.

Steve, Host
  • sharkalasharkala Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know if there are going to be any changes to the existing model? thanks.
  • donnadonna Member Posts: 23
    If I buy the SUV in another city and have the warranty service done in Houston can I expect to get the same service that I would get if I had bought it from them? Also, how can I be sure the total cost will be emailed me if I end up buying some distance away? Will a printed email from the salesman or fax be sufficient? Do you take a cashiers check?
    I believe in 2005, Lexus is introducing RX400h (hybrid). It will have Rx330 body & style but more powerful engine that runs on hybrid technology.
This discussion has been closed.