Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi LOL,

[edit] Great idea and one that I think has been mentioned not too many months ago.

Word is that something along these lines is being worked on (maybe for later this summer?) that will help people find prices paid easier.

Steve, Host
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    I'm sure we will be kept up to date on any such future change.
  • gator430gator430 Member Posts: 37
    Hi,

Had an agreement with a dealer in Houston for a RX330 with premium plus, Nav. w/rear camera, heated seats w/rain sensing wipers, 18" wheels, towing, mats, and wheel locks. We had agree to a selling of $38,500, MSRP was $42,788 but now they say the price has gone up a $100. I told them no way since we had agreed to the selling price just yesterday. Are they doing this since the car is not on the lot? I was thinking of paying the $100 and tell them to tint the front windows.

Thanks
    If they raised the price $100 you didn't have an agreement. Or if you have a contract in writing, it sounds like they just breached it.

I'd love to tell you to walk, but (assuming the price is otherwise ok), you aren't that far apart. Just ding them on the survey after the deal and write the GM and complain mightily. If they won't go for the tint, try for a free oil change or something.

Shoot, if you don't need a car right away, walk and keep shopping. We're in the middle of the model year and cars should be getting cheaper, not more expensive. Maybe the weak dollar is hurting Lexus?

Steve, Host
    I have not sign any contract. It was just a verbal agreement thru emails. I forgot to mention that I also get the free maintenance for the first 2 yrs, including the 5k and 15K. I think I'm getting a good deal.

Just got an email from the salesperson. They will eat the $100 but now want a $500 deposit on the car.
    Well, some would argue that written emails are contracts, but it sounds like you are getting it worked out.

Just put the deposit on a credit card so you can dispute it if the deals goes sour again :-)

Steve, Host
  • ramarama Member Posts: 10
    apparently many of the new RX's being shipped have a $100 price increase, that's what I'm being told in Atlanta and Birmingham
  • camillecamille Member Posts: 3
    FWD 330, Silver/Black interior
    Premium Plus
    multi-level heated seats
    18"
    towing package
    wheel locks
    cargo mat
    MSRP $40,538
    Final price for the car itself $ 36000.00

However, we were charged so-called "Documentation Fee" for $200.00. Could have negotiated this off, but the deal was good enough for us, and we were hungry. :o) So, the final price we paid (before tax and tag) was $36200.00.

The dealership is "Warnock Lexus" at Livingston, NJ. Same price (Final $36,200.00) is available at "Ray Catena Lexus" at Oakhurst, NJ. As far as I know, there was no silver/black interior for FWD at Ray Catena though. The last time I checked (April 6), they had Waterbreak/black interior, Black/grey interior, and Dark green/grey in stock.

We also discussed about AWD. The price for AWD would be somewhere above $37500.00. I had a feeling that you can get an AWD for $38000 to $38500. The dealer's response to AWD price was "We will not sell it for $37500.00." So my interpretation is " We will consider any number above $37500.00.

:o)
  • copyroomcopyroom Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please share purchase price for an AWD with Performance package and Navigation system. Thanks.
  • gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    After a lot of research, I was down to two cars which were the 2004 RX330 and the 2004 MDX.
    I set up meeting with both dealers in Albany NY. Lexus at 11am and Acura at 3pm.

I walk through the Lexus dealer doors at 11 and told the receptionist that I had an appointment. The sales guy came out, exchange pleasantries and he went to get the keys to a RX330. As we got to the RX he showed me some of the features. He unlocked the doors and I went straight to the driver’s seat. He explained some more of the features as I sat there. I was mesmerized. The interior was so beautiful. The RX has the Plus package which had the wood steering wheel and shift knob. The leather was soft and the interior was just luxury. After 15 mins, I took out 2 CDs and played it on the standard 132W system. The 1st cd was to test the clarity and the latter was to test the base. I found that the system was very clear and brisk. But the base was nothing to brag about. The sales guy show me the mid range adjustment which was great. After another couple of min in the car, we took it out for a spin. After a quick spin around the block, I was ready to talk about price. So we parked the RX and went to his cube. We chatted some more as he fill out some forms. At this point, I told him that I am ready to buy today, but I have a 2002 Accord coupe for trade in. And the price I get for the trade in would weight in if I was to buy today or not. So I gave him my keys to inspect the car as I was shown to get coffee and tea. He came back after 5-10 mins and had an offer in front of me. But as he was showing me the offer, he told me there that was a price increase. I was shock, but I took it as best as I could.

RX330 AWD, NAV/RES, HH package, 18”, Tow package, Premium Plus, Wheel locks and Mats.
    MSRP 46,700
    Trade in 16,000
    Discount 2,630
    Total cost: 28,070 before tax + other fees about 100$

I asked him to lower it, he said no. He told me this is the best they can do and it is in the benefit of both sides. So I noted this, told him I will contact them by end of day after I go see tge MDX. This is when he brought out 2 sheets of metal. One is use in Lexus and the other represents other cars. He told me to bang on it. I did. The sound on the Lexus sheet was muffled as the other sheet was banging away. I was like wow and noted this as I left.
    Note: if I wanted the Mark Levision system too, I would have to wait 3-6 months. So I opted this out.

At 3pm, I enter the Acura dealer, it was smaller and no receptionist in front. I saw the MDX in the middle of the show room. I went straight to it and started examining the MDX. I sat in the driver seat, sat in the back seat, open the back and was starting to play with the 3rd row seats as the salesman walk over. He was the one I had the appointment with. I told him that I was thinking about a MDX with NAV and RES. He went to get a key for one and off we went. As I approach the MDX from the back, I was amazed at how much bigger this car was. From the back, in my opinion, I like the look of the MDX more. But as I move to the front, there is no doubt in my mind that the RX330 had more beauty and class. I sat in the driver seat as he explained to me about the gadgetries. In my mind, the MDX was a lot more spacious. I can slide side ways. Played with the NAV. I thought the NAV on the MDX was also better. Now I told out the same 2 cds and pop it in. With the first to test the clarity, but found that the Lexus’ standard system was shape and clear compare to the MDX. Now the base test, the MDX wins this hands down. But for a Bose system, it is not better than the Lexus’ standard system. Now it was price time.
    We went back to his desk; fill out some paper work, told him about my trade in. He took the keys while I waited. He came back with the following offer, saying how generous it was:

2004 MDX touring w/NAV/RES, cargo cover, cargo liner, floor mats, tow hitch, side molding and side steps:
    MSRP 49,000
    Trade in 14,300
    Discount 2,000
    Total cost: 32,700 before tax + other fees about 100$

I was like, what the heck; I am trading in a Honda here. I haggle about 5 mins and he came back with:
    MSRP 49,000
    Trade in 17,300
    Discount 2,000
    Total cost: 29,700 before tax + other fees about 100$

At this point, I am set on the Lexus RX330. I told him to give me the lowest possible price and I will think about it. He gave me another 500 off. But it is still more expensive then the Lexus. I also didn’t like the fact that he try to get me to settle for 14,300 for the trade-in in the beginning. I left after that, went back to the Lexus dealer put a down payment and was told that 3-4 weeks wait.

Can’t wait.
    Sounds like it really should be a $1,000 price decrease:

Weak yen gives Japanese autos big US advantage (Forbes)

Steve, Host
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Great post and great monniker. I suppose it comes from your sartorial tastes? Anyway, before I bought the RX330, I also went to look at the MDX and like you, decided that it was not as well constructed or as luxurious as the Lexus. You made the right choice, especially if you are single or have a small family. Although the MDX has the advantage cargo wise and in towing capacity, the RX is much classier, sportier, and a better deal. Congratulations, GQ!
    Hey Steve,

Did I space out or did you guys just recently add this reply feature? It's pretty convenient, so I'm using it for the first time here, to let you know.
    It's new today, but the jury is still out on the Re Re Re Re feature :-)

Steve, Host
  • kentuck100kentuck100 Member Posts: 4
    OK, a strange twist to my happy tale from March 23.

I thought we closed a deal on a RX 330, Metallic Silver/Black Leather, AWD, Premium Plus Package with heated seats, headlight wipers, tow prep, cargo mat and wheel locks for $38,500 before tax and title (MSRP was $41,838) on that date. Not the best price, but an ok one that is certainly higher than what I've seen on this site, so the dealer has got to be making $$ on it. I thought we were all set and called the salesman to confirm the details. No reply... multiple messages later and I still don't hear from him.

I finally get a call from the dealership saying that this vehicle would be available to me for around $39,200. (!!!) Obviously not acceptable! What is up with that? I'm now irritated with this dealership and decide to take my business elsewhere. (Funnily enough, the Lexus survey folks called my house to ask how my purchase was going. Can you imagine?)

Tonight, the phone rings again and it's one of the dealers that I had blast faxed back in mid March calling out of the blue. He told me he'd do the deal for a price that happens to be a bit less than the original guy. Unfortunately, the car is coming down from Canada in the next few weeks. I've had more twists and turns on this purchase than I expect I'll have during my first day of driving my new RX 330...once I finally seal a deal!!

Any advice on how to get this nailed down, when the exact vehicle I want to purchase is not on the lot yet? I don't want to be a two-time Lexus Loser!!
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    hi,
     we bought same RX330 (except flint/black leather),with same options/list and where able to get it for 37500(+50.doc fee).We emailed dealers in MA ( live in NH) and a two dealers that where others at made deals from members on this board who emailed us.By end of first week had two dealers bidding for sale.That RX with that option package should be pretty common on lots we found most had them on lot.Try and get more dealers in bidding,tell them you are ready to buy and want out the door price for as low as possible ,4 k+ off is not unheard of.They also make hold back and refund on advertising money (should total about 900 to 1k)on thease so thay can get pretty close to invoice(37235) and still make money .
    Let us know how you do.
    Hi Dandg,

How long did you have to wait for your Flint/Black? We were told it would be about 3.5 months.
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    hi gator,
     it was in stock at three of the dealers we where looking at,seems to be a popular combo.
    Hi All,

I want to share everyone my buying experience I had with a dealer(Sterling McCall) in Houston. Met with the dealer this past Saturday to finalize the deal. However, there was a fee for 'VIN etching' of $385. I told the salesguy I don't want this but was told all cars came with it. I disagreed and told the dealer no deal. I left the dealer without signing anything and told them I would think about it. I guess the salesguy assumed the deal was still good between us. I emailed him today to restate my stance of no deal, unless the 'VIN etching' fee is removed. The guy said no so I said no. I then emailed another dealer(Westside) in town to match what I got from Sterling. Some how the guy at Sterling found out and was not too happy about it. They both know each other. Now the guy at Sterling has rescinded his offer, citing that I didn't accept his offer and tried to low ball him with another dealer. And also he threatened me about not giving me a loaner car for future services of my GS430. I told him you just lost a loyal customer since I had done all my services at Sterling. I told him this was not professional, and the kind of behavior Lexus would not tolerate.

Should I report this to Lexus corporate?

Gator
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I believe etching actually cost around 50 bucks to the dealer and can be a huge money maker for dealers. I would never purchase etching as an option.

Local dealers do not want any complaints made to Lexus and do everything they can to avoid a complaint,however, maybe Lexus customer service can assists, especially with the etching requirement. Please keep us informed.
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    What a suprise that Houston area dealers get compaints. I'm not sure exactly which is which but IIRC the 5 Houston area dealers are ownded by two groups.
    I tried dealing with Westside as well but they tried loading up the car with BS items such as VIN etching/gold package/window tinting (over and above what the car comes with. I ended up buying in Austin, quick, clean deal.

BTW, I would definitely go to Lexus corporate on that threat.
    Etching is worth about $5 tops in my book. Some police departments do it free as a community service (emphasis on community, since the etching itself is useless inho - anyone ever hear that someone got their car back due to the VIN being etched on the glass?).

I'm not so sure that Lexus corporate cares about this type of behavior, but the local GM should. Maybe write that person and cc corporate.

Steve, Host
    I finally got a deal with another dealer, Lexus of Clear Lake, in Houston. They were very easy to work with, and I was out in an hour. I hightly recommend them. This is the deal for my FWD, Flint/Black, Nav w/rear camera, premium plus, heated seats w/rain sensing wipers, towing, 18" wheels, and preferred accessory pkg.

MSRP $42,888
    Selling price $38,183+TTL+fees
    OD $41,263.75

I did pretty good.
  • dmorelli1dmorelli1 Member Posts: 13
    I am trading in a 2002 Toyota Highlander LTD w/11,000 miles (brand new condition)& want to purchase a 2004 RX330 w/AWD, Premium plus pkg & addt'l options totaling MSRP $41,938.Anyone have any dealings (good or bad) on Long Island that they can share? I also have a '99 RX300 but I am keeping that one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and pricing/negotiating info.
    From everything I've read about negotiating price on a new car they always say to work from the dealer invoice up NOT from the MSRP down...yet on all these posts talking about pricing on the RX330 everyone is talking about how much off MSRP they got.Can someone please explain? How much over d.i. are the dealers in NY willing to accept?
    I would certainly appreciate it if you could share which dealers you e-mailed who bid on your purchase? I was just quoted 39,000 for the exact same vehicle by a Long Island dealer?
    Same RX config as #927
    Could not get a deal anywhere close with 3 dealers in north Alabama or Atlanta. Not sure why. Perhaps the competition for price is not as keen or the few dealers keeps the demand and the price high. After 2 weeks of negotiation, the best I could do was $37,000 plus TTL. Deal was with Tom Williams in B'ham. Nalley in Atlanta wanted $200 more.

Only good thing is OTD was $38,265.
  • twm01twm01 Member Posts: 12
    Greetings all,

I am looking for a 2WD 330 with the following options:

PT - Premium Plus
    HH - Front Dual Heated Seats W/ Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers & Headlight Washers
    TO - Towing Package
    FT - 18" x 7 Alloy wheels w/ Michelin or Goodyear

Will even take the "forced" port installed cargo mat and wheel locks...

Any idea on where to get a good deal? Anyone get a similar car in FL/GA area? If so, please PM me with details.

Tried email, only one response - local dlr in Tampa, tried to give me the Premium (not premium plus) package and other small opts. for 36,900 (on 39,383 MSRP) - 2,483 off.

Thanks!
    The config you want is what I just bought in Birmingham, my MRSP was $40,538, I paid $37,000 (plus TTL) giving a discount of $3,538, not a great deal by any stretch. I've seen others pay $36,200 to $36,400 on this board in the last 60 days. Can't get those prices where I am.
  • bmw4me2bmw4me2 Member Posts: 54
    I just talked to the dealer in Sarasota on the exact same car ($39,383). The dealer offered me about the same discount of $2,400 but they have a $495 dealer services fee. My son said the dealer in Orlando is more aggressive with no dealer fees.
  • handshands Member Posts: 1
    Purchased an RX330 AWD, Neptune Blue Mica w/grey leather, premium plus, 18" whls, tow package, heated seats w/RS wipers. MSRP $41,838. Was offered $37,650 and accepted. I essentially e-mailed 4 dealerships and set the parameters and told them to give me a price. The best price would win my business. I pick up the vehicle this weekend.
  • camillecamille Member Posts: 3
    I bought a RX330 with the same package, including floor mats for $362000. I purchased it in NJ, so this number probably can only be used as a reference for your area. Please refer to message #912.
  • gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    What I wanted:
    2004 RX330 AWD
    Flint/Ebony
    Navigation System with Rear Camera
    Premium plus package: wood and leather steering wheel and shift knob
    Rear Seat Entertainment System
    HH Package: Two-Level Heated Front Seats and Rain-Sensing Wipers
    FT Package: 18" Alloy Wheels
    Towing Package
    Wheel locks and Mats.

Wanted the Mark Levinson Audio also but was told it would be min 3-6 months wait. So I opt it out.

From Bay Ridge of Brooklyn NY:
    MSRP 46,700
    Trade in 15,100
    Discount 1,200
    Total cost: 30,400 before tax + other fees about 150$

From Lexus Latham:
    MSRP 46,700
    Trade in 16,000
    Discount 2,630
    Total cost: 28,070 before tax + other fees about 100$

Did not try Lexus of Manhattan.

Just 2 more weeks of waiting.
  • hotinherehotinhere Member Posts: 10
    Avoid the Atlanta Nalley Lexus dealerships. Also, check www.seloc.net. They're run by Hennessy Lexus (ATL), but may have some good advice.
  • ken3ken3 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking for a RX330 with navigation package. Anyone got a good price from the Lexus dealers in Philadelphia and NJ area? Please share .... Thank you very much!
  • ken3ken3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi friends, please recommend some lexus dealers with good price in philadelphia and NJ areas. I am currently looking for a RX330 AWD with navigation MSRP $44,188. The best quota I got is $41,500. It seems many person good better price. Please share the information. Thank you very much.
  • jeffs2jeffs2 Member Posts: 1
    if you don't mind northern nj, try ray catena or prestige. I paid $40,700 for the same MSRP at the end of March and in hindsight felt I left a little on the table
    Greetings all,

(UPDATE to post #948)
    This weekend I closed the deal at Wilde Lexus of Sarasota. Here's the lowdown:

2WD 2004 RX330 with the following options:
    PT - Premium Plus
    HH - Front Dual Heated Seats W/ Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers & Headlight Washers
    TO - Towing Package
    FT - 18" x 7 Alloy wheels w/ Michelin or Goodyear
    cargo mat
    wheel locks
    MSRP with options $40,538

The deal:
    $35,915.83 Price offered
         489.50 dealer fee
            6.50 FL tire & lead-acid battery fee
    $36,411.83 Taxable amount
       2,234.71 sales tax
         225.00 new license
    $38,871.54 out the door price

How did I do?

As a side note, I did this all via email initially, then a couple of phone calls to confirm everything. Was concerned there might be some 'surprises' when I went to pick it up, but everything was as specified, the signing of the paperwork (only 4 or 5 things to sign as I had arranged financing at my credit union) took about 5 minutes with no 'upsell' pressure, and the salesman turnover was excellent. Can't give salesman's name per board rules, but pm me if interested.

Good luck to all!

Thanks,

twm01
  • fleetfootfleetfoot Member Posts: 4
    I concur with jeffs2 - bought AWD w/Prem Plus, 18" wheels, tow pkg, pref access. pkg from Prestige in Ramsey last month. Really easy to deal with - no games. Only two dealers I've seen or heard that will work with you on price are Catena and Prestige. The discounts on NAV vehicles are not as deep, but still better than other dealerships. Good luck.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I dealt with Nalley Lexus in Marrietta and had the best automotive experience of my life! When I decided (after a month of using one of their loaners) that the LS430 didn't really have a color that I liked (I had ordered the Moonlight Pearl but then saw one and thought it looked white.) they were extremely accomodating! I finally decided to get an RX330 (I had originally been planning to replace my Tahoe in Jan '05 with one) and they did the order and gave me another loaner.

The people were extremely nice and I knew at every minute that they were going to ensure that I was happy.

Although I don't have much experience with Hennessy's Lexus store, I did get my STS from their Cadillac store and they were nice. I contacted the Lexus store when I began and never got a response.
    No, I'm not wrong. I know exactly what they did to us. The situation is too long to recount here, but check out message 2369 on the Lexus RX330 board if you want to know. As for "extremely nice," so what? Nalley was "extremely nice" the entire time they were lying to us repeatedly and causing us a lot of trouble for no reason other than to cover their previous lies. As for Hennessy, I don't know anything about them. I've never dealt with them. I'm glad you had what you feel was a postive experience with Nalley, however, and are happy with your car.
    ...it was the Roswell store that you had the problem with, not the Marietta store. What I see is that you were cross-shopping all over the place and can't understand that when dealers trade cars to other dealers the updates aren't instantaneous.

From what you stated, the Marietta store tried their best to give you that car AND at a lower price than before. There is a reason why all ads have disclaimers about incorrect information. They didn't have to come down at all.
  • balsamsbabebalsamsbabe Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a black/ivory FWD a month ago in MA. Same options but we did also get the cargo mats and locks. MSRP 40438 - we paid 35,700. Good luck!
    balsmasbabe - was your $35,700 the final cost, adding only tax, tag and title? Or was there a "dealer fee"??? If that was it, my hat is off to you! I thought I did well, but you would have beaten my deal by over $700! Great job!

(BTW, I got the cargo mat and wheel locks as well, see my previous post #959)
  • guptag724guptag724 Member Posts: 8
    Hello
    Congrats your purchase. Would you mind telling me the name of the rep you dealt with. My e-mail is gupni@yahoo.com
    Okay, this is the last post I'm going to make regarding your comment. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I'm glad you had a good experience. I did not.

* The Roswell and Marietta stores have the same manager. Therefore, that manager is responsible for lying salespersons at both stores.

* "Cross-shopping all over the place"? Yes, I understand that's what one is supposed to do when one is shopping for a car. We saw an ad for a car and answered it. How bad of us.

* I understand that dealers trade cars. I understand that they can sometimes make mistakes. These things aren't problems. I have a problem with dealers who lie. I'll try to be very succinct here: The salesman told me over the phone that he was looking at a car -- physically looking at a car -- that was not there and never had been. The car he said he was LOOKING AT in Roswell had been in Marietta for a very long time. I'm not sure about you, but I consider this to be a point-blank lie. This isn't about bad updates.

* Although the VIN was the same, once we tracked the car down, it was not the advertised car. It was 12,000 miles older. 12,000 miles. I guess they drove it from Roswell to Marietta the long way. Perhaps via Texas. Or maybe they only update their ads once a year.

This all could've been avoided by the salesman telling the truth to begin with--that he wasn't sure if the car was on the lot, that updates aren't instantaneous--or admitted his mistake when we got there.

Again, I'm glad your Roswell experience was good. Their treatment of us was so egregious, however, that I will continue to warn GA shoppers away from them.
    Hotinhere is certainly entitled to his opinion, as is everyone else, without having to defend it because someone else labeled it as "wrong". Facts can be wrong, but opinions are purely subjective and therefore you don't get to say it is wrong. At most, you can state that you "disagree" with his opinion. Even then, I don't know how you can try and tell hotinhere that he really did not have an unpleasant experience. Then, he must have imagined it!

Not!

If the guy had an unpleasant experience, I believe him. Just as I believe that your experience was pleasant.
    when they tell everyone to "Avoid" a certain dealer because of a bad experience they had at ANOTHER dealer.

We're not talking about a salesperson who said "I'll sell it to you at this price" and then lied and said he wouldn't. We're talking about a salesperson who said he "was looking right at the car". Of course there is no way that he could have just been mistaken because we all know that there is only one vehicle out there in each color. He couldn't possibly have been looking at a similar car!

The only thing I'm saying is this "bad experience" is just as much "hotinhere"'s inability to be flexible and understand that, unlike himself, people out there do make mistakes. What is more important in any business is that in the end he clearly states that the Marietta store worked hard to rectify the situation by working with him on the price of the vehicle.

What you don't seem to realize, GARDENCAR, is that I stated MY experience WITHOUT suggesting that everyone should go to Nalley Marietta. What I was commenting about was his "Avoid ALL Nalley" statement.

I am certainly entitled to MY opinion and, in MY opinion, he is WRONG!
    I guess if I had been associated with the car business at one time like you I'd be sympathetic to blanket condemnations of a dealer too.

I suspect every dealer has a few people telling everyone not to trade there. I know I've warned a few friends off a couple of dealers in my day.

Let's move on shall we - anyone buying this week?

Steve, Host
    I did! See post 959!

Couldn't be happier (well maybe if the dealer had knocked off several thousand more and threw in free service for life, and a free cargo net, and, and, and...!!!)

Best of luck to everyone out there looking for the deal, and to those who have already done so. Here's to years of trouble-free driving!

Enjoy!

twm01
This discussion has been closed.