Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    I am bored and lazy. I have not; contacted engineers, researched the library or the internet, contacted vortec engineering, and etc.

Spent some time at vortec engineering netsite, remember (maybe at edmunds) how the 2.4 gm engine was pushed beyond limits thought possible by me.

Can a small boost vortec centifugal supercharger (vcs) be added to the 3.5 I5? Can a small vcs be driven from an electric motor? Is that motor necessary - i.e. is the loss from the crank enough to warrant the the electrical circuits to time the motor speed vs drag or drain to the alternator? Can the guts of the 3.5 handle any of this? Can this be coupled to an enlarged exhaust system to make a "wow" what was that experience?
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    We are getting a new truck or SUV within the next 6 months and the H3 is on the "wanted" list. My question: would you get another H3 if your current vehicle would get stolen or totaled? How is the reliability and the dealer service? The relative lack of power and poor gas mileage doesn't matter much, we only drive about 7000 miles per year. Please feel free to post as much info as you have time for.
    Better_Half just told me she would get another H3 in a heartbeat. I know she wasn't pulling a funny [chevy (gm) heartbeat].

We test drove a new 5.3 tahoe and don't know about the cylinder deactivation. We did a test loop at Classic and it doesn't involve interstate driving. The gas pedal felt like we were driving our old toyota goose 4wd with 65hp at the wheels. Someone told us we should've floored it anytime we didn't want cyl deact.

The H3 is built for off-road with it's 4.56 dif's. Autobahn? trips in texas eats mpg just like some posters say - keep it as slow as possible and not over 70mph. We don't care - we will spend money to get time every chance.

Build quality-test drive as many as possible like we did and don't except anything but perfect at buy time - entrophy exists.

Just used better-half's hand me down '04 malibu to bring home deco bark(raised garden beds mulch) - (6) 3 cu ft bags per load in the trunk. Wells cargo trailer going to the auction block. Do you need the truck bed?

Rumors persist about the 5.3 w/out cyl deact in the H3. Latest chatter elsewhere talks about ordering this summer for fall delivery. Then you start the first year build clock again.

Good luck and good to be objective and keep all options open.

I hope b_h's H3 hand me down will be our beater in years to come.
    Guess I will talk to myself to keep this topic at the top of the Hummer list. Checked the google hits again and the links to a vcs is not for low rpm not for an automatic etc. But is is simple and cheap but doesn't have a self contained sc fluid resevoir (uses recirc motor oil-more problems?)-----musings Maybe b-h's h-3 gets handed down and she gets an '08 with more power no two speed transfer case and higher gearing 4.10/3.73 who knows...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Guess I will talk to myself ...

I am predicting extech2 will be back Tuesday! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Did "yingxiong" ever get an H3? It seems there is excitement about the Euro Cad diesel on another hummer forum-already can tear it apart just from the pictures w/out it sitting/crammed in the engine bay. Let the other guy in America buy a new Euro turbo diesel. Keep it there general.
  • yingxiongyingxiong Member Posts: 12
    Sure did! I ordered a Slate Blue H3 with production date after 3/1 to get the new placement for the window controls and the child safety locks. As it turned out, they had one in the same color being built with a sunroof that's arriving next week, so I took that one. I just learned this morning that sunroofs are FREE this month, so that's a bonus!
    Congratulations!
  • ffo4koochffo4kooch Member Posts: 2
    Was going to make the purchase on an H3 soon, but noted the discussion on relocating window controls. Do you think the "mid-year" changes are worth waiting for? Also, are dealers out there moving at all from the MSRP or just giving the rebates? Edmonds shows the TMV at about $1200 under MSRP. Any help would be appreciated.
    You bet. We (I drove) drove an H3 automatic yesterday. The lack of quickness didn't bother me at all. I've driven hundreds of cars, starting in my twenties when I worked in Germany for a car dealer and up to the point when I quit as a Honda tech in the year 2000. Nothing impressed me like the H3 before, the incredible solidity of the truck is amazing. Our salesman wasn't really interested in showing us anything, he probably thought we couldn't afford it. My wife is very intimidated by its size and she wouldn't believe me when I said the H3 is 2 inches shorter than her Honda Accord. I plan to rent an H3 for a day or two, and maybe she will be willing to drive it then. I love the thing, and I'm thinking buying one just as a hobby car, keep it for the weekends, therefore gas mileage and other issues like reliability won't matter.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .....and other issues like reliability won't matter.

I think that probably makes you unique among potential buyers. ;)
    Good report. Yes, feels more solid than any half ton or less. You're right someone always has more power and some don't know how to use what they have. Some are go fast straight ahead only. We've had to brake going uphill on a curving ramp in econo boxes because some bimmer driver or such couldn't use what they had.
    "Our salesman wasn't really interested in showing us anything, he probably thought we couldn't afford it."

Will you be a be back for this salesman? Did he look like a newbie? Was he having a bad day? He should have never given you that impression, no matter what. Sold chevies and hondas during one year, twenty years ago. Never bought a honda, test drove wagons and the minvan's first year but traded our only ever chevy (until the '04 malibu) for a previa. Maybe he/she will read this.

In blue jeans, when we were first married, looked at volvo's and mercedes' in dallas and we were treated with respect.
    Our salesman was I think from a middle-eastern country and seemed to be thoroughly bored during our rather brief test drive. I might visit another dealer or rent the H3, we can rent one for $119 a day with 300 miles included.
    After the drive I told my wife that every American male between the age 13 and 96 has two fantasies: one is to drive a Hummer, the second is to take a bubble bath with Pamela Anderson. Ever since then I'm sleeping in the garage, but it isn't too bad, our two dogs keep me quite warm and our Toyota truck has a cozy bedliner.
    Another forum is up and running about the v8 and thinking a heavy 5.3, what about the 4x4 alum. 5.3, what about possibly a lot of 4.8's sitting around, what about rpo GT5 4.10 gears, is this platform really an Isuzu, is the tranny really good for much heavier towing duty, what about the driveline and more power, a 2wd alpha, no adventure package, - a second hummer and no bu in the garage? Waiting and being teased is just like a little one waiting for santa.
  • grandadchugrandadchu Member Posts: 6
    Guys,
    Please forget the fantasy that H3 will come with an V8 engine. Who else would buy a H2 if GM makes H3 so attractive and so much lower in price? I already own a 2006 H3 so may be i can say something objectively. I do think GM had mis-priced the 2006 H3. It is not a generic SUV model, it is designed as a dream car which people puts in in their wish list. GM should have priced the H3 in the 40K's, a bit closer to their 60K's+ H2. A 30K H3 is a steal.
    To those unfortunate few that have cylinder problems, could you tell me the dates of production of your vehicle and what is your current odomater readings?
    I have heard some members said that cylinder head problems occurred in early 2005 productions and those vehicles that rolled out of the assemly line after Jan or feb 2006 would have the cylinder head problems fixed before sending out to the dealers' lots. And those earlier make models would have the cylinder head problems pop up after the odometer surpassed 10K miles. Kindly send in your info to verify this observation. It would help many other early buyers of H3 to file claims !!
    I bought my 2006 H3 when they did not install child safety locks for the rear doors. (Why would GM ever did this in the beginning?) My question to those more knowledgeable is: can a after market safety lock be installed for the rear doors? My grandson is getting bigger and wiser, I am afraid he may accidentally open the rear door if he ever sneaked out of the safety seat? Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
    You can buy one in the $40's. It's great in any configuration. We could've been very happy with a 3.5 or 3.7 I6 and not have balance shafts but this is designated a truck engine - compromise with long stroke and ohc. It works as the package is presented. Would we buy a small v-8 w/out the adventure package but with a rear e-locker - probably if the rear can go higher to 3.73 or 4.10 and give highway performance(and keep the good '06).

I noticed that some good people on one of the other forums is working to get those torsion bars and springs - thank you. S/C - still working on separate lubricant vs crankcase oil since this poster turned into a forum hog on e's slippery forum - yes oil for the engine (and possibly a s/c later).

Turbo's/dieseleuro stuff - listen to your answer - big detroit push rods rock. My ford service advisor raced chevy not ford. Why asked tod? I can afford to rebuild a chevy and race again next weekend but if the ford gets blown up after several weekends, it will sit.

tod is trying to not post but would also like a real discussion and not whining a few decades late about the state of the union.
  • bummerhummerbummerhummer Member Posts: 2
    I regetfully own a 2007 H3 Hummer. I purchased it January 13, 2007. I was told it was the Cadillac of Suvs by Wright Hummer of Pittburgh. 2.5 months later and 4000 miles, I own a H3 with a defective cylinder head. I guess I don't want to own a Cadillac...8 -10 days for repair because of slow parts availability.
  • jesskewljesskewl Member Posts: 3
    Well I just got back from my local hummer dealership and was shooting the breeze with my salesman guy waiting for my oil change and he tells me that the o8's will have a high end option of 5.3 V8!!!! Obviously the price will be higher but he said that as times goes on he hopes they offer it as a mix and match deal in the ie base with v8. He said the 08's should be here in about 6 months!!!
    Don't know if the I5 is robust enough to supe(r) up with a s/c and now don't really care. Wanted new torsion bars and rear leafs and can join another forum and sign up, but ennui.

B_H will commute and we will travel with her 3.5. The 5.3 even with 4.10's gives towing ability [and a rock crawling iron front dif - and a kudo to gm (but wrangler pressure? result)] per a paraphrased gm release by someone somewhere. But 5.3 still needs to feed 1.8L more than the 3.5 all the time.

Keeping the speed down [(remember the old double nickels)which a noted person in the business in dfw said can reduce fuel/oil needs more so than a lot of things] can keep our mpg's up if we so desire.

I am vehicle bored (after a lot of time with a diesel) and will just change the oil and keep B_H's H3 fueled up.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    This is a common problem with the 5 cylinder engine. The same engine is found in the Colarado/Canyon. You can check out the discussion there under the Chevrolet Colarado forum.
    Tired and sick of other forums and attacks, ae's, and trolls.

At times I feel like it is 1890 and all owners are discussing the latest and greatest horse carriage. I will never buy another (insert your dislike here). Are we coming up on a change? Why did Ford and GM destroy mass transit decades ago?

Here in texas there has been a change in the disregard of courtesy and law, including road rules. The death in a car collision of the gentleman (who brought Christmas Story to the screen - Red Ryder BB Gun)and his son by a drunken unlicensed pick up truck driver in Ca reinforces one of the reasons b_h drives an h3 to work.

I will stay here at edmunds and not join the tough off-road crowd who, like some, show contempt for others and think they have the only right answer. Thank you edmunds.
    Did second oil change with 5w30 mobil 1 a few hundred miles ago and now approaching 10k miles. Recently, while returning from okc to dfw, took b_h's h3 up to 4k rpms and amazed me (and the surrounding assortment of hd trucks and suv's)having to use the truck lane going up the arbuckles passing the aformentioned group. The h3 is just fine even with the 3.5 engine.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome back, Dave! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    You are welcome. I never really left edmunds(only here and at lost for a bit), I've just been lurking elsewhere.

The net seems to condescend "edmunds". I was hoping to generate a good discussion with people feeling free to join in and not get ridiculed.

I am curious; even though the H3 doesn't have a turbo and have posted at oil slippery subject, liked redline 15w40 in the crd. Has any body used 5w30 redline in an h3 and gone by the DIC (and not mobil 1 for 6k miles)? Thinking about redline 5w30 and let the oil change go until the onstar update.
  • stephie1stephie1 Member Posts: 15
    I am having a hard time getting a dealership to tell me they can get me a 2006 H3x with no mileage (or very little). All the sales guys keep pushing is a 2007, but I am thinking I can get a greater rebate if I can find a 2006...is this foolhearty? Where are all the 2006s out there? I see that under current rebates and incentives a lot of manufacturers are listing deep rebates on remaining (new) 2006 models they are looking to clear out, but I am having a hard time finding them when I contact the dealers...such as SAAB, Hummer, GMC Yukon, etc.. It is like I am hitting my head against the wall in talking to the sales people. Can anyone shed some light on this? :blush:
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Probably a little late for last minute 'new' '06 bargains. We're now well into '07 and it won't be long before the '08s become available. You'll soon be seeing the last of the '07s.
    Looks like Durango isn't the only guilty place for hummer damage. Conversations at the local dealer brought up the vandalism issue. It seems that in some of the "better" areas here that the 2's and some 3's have been "keyed?". Another case of misguided (other vehicles get worse mileage)or mischievous activity?

Oil oil oil, spent way too much time at bitog, but leaning to staying with mobil 1 (decades of use).
    #1187 of 1193 Earth Day; Durango, Co; and... by tired_old_dave May 03, 2007 (5:44 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply

Why did Ford and GM destroy mass transit decades ago?

In this sunday's Fort Worth Star Telegram in the Drive section, Mr. Wallace talks about Mr. Ford's hatred of wasteful war and convenience for the farmer.

t_o_d RVN '66-'67
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is this the article TOD?
    Yes. Read some history of mass transit. Thanks for the post. I used to be wary of posting links to other forums [per edmunds (and alluded to them while on the crd forum)]. I recognized the jeep dealer where we bought our crd while travelling to Houston one saturday on Mr. Wallace's radio show. Mr. Wallace seems to have a lot of connections and respect in the auto, oil, and journalism fields. Our H3 is what the crd should've been - fuel it up and drive it - 11k miles now.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I remember watching a story many years ago (possibly 60 Minutes?) about how GM killed the use of trolley cars in Los Angeles. GM made diesel engined buses. They simply paid off local politicians to get the city to drop the trolleys and to buy buses. Big shots running big companies will do almost anything to make a profit, especially if they believe they won't get caught.
    We saw that one also. Since this is an auto forum, it might be possible to expand this context by referencing the importance of the h3, mpg's, distances one must? travel.

Another factor may be Levittown and a new home for returning GI's. A place of their own-a new clean place for their children, etc. Now the wife works and they have 2 vehicles in front of a one car garage. Because "we won't be caught in an apartment, in a medium sensibly sized city, with dirty neighbors who light candles or smoke in bed". Well here new homes are probably built worse than then, especially with a strain to find good materials and craftsmen. Mea culpa. We are part of the mess, but still anguish when arable land is turned into more malls etc. And then to see on the evening news some misguided farmer plowing eroding dirt-it looked like a dust bowl film in the way back machine.

Now back to edmunds and relevancy. We can get 16mpg keeping up with the flow or 20mpg like our first run from dfw to okc. I wonder if we double nickle to okc can more than 20mpg be gained. And one must look at the incremental cost of travel from e.g $2 a gallon versus $4 and not just the new total cost. All this does is priortize discretionary spending.
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    My hummer comes in Thurs. Was driving a 1994 LandCrusier, but the cruiser was crushing my back! My salesman let me take Hummer out alone for 1hour & 1/2, SOLD :shades: . Took my Honda Civic and traded and have the back crusher for sale.
    Love the drive and feel!! Great stability and comfort,I have Base model stripped down, have muddy dogs and junk I cart around. Oh yeah My husband and I have a 17 year old son and he pleading me not to do it, cause the poor boy has been brain washed at school and if my hummer ever went to his high school it would surely be keyed cause it's a gas guzzler :surprise: . I run two Colorados for our bussiness and my employees love them, no issues.
    I didn't buy hummer for speed or gas milege I have owned many SUV and nothing has compared to the overall driving experience the Hummer offers, I didn't want cushy leather heated seats, it's all about utility for me and Hummer gives me that, plus one fun driveing experince.
    Is anyone digg'ing hummers/edmunds?
    Hey Dave (assuming you mean this Steve), feel free to hit the Digg button image under the post, but I haven't noticed any Hummer Diggs linking back to us.

I haven't noticed any Hummer news except for stuff from Straightline, and nothing there for a couple of months.

People are still asking about prices and GMIDs so maybe everyone is out shopping for an H3 instead of posting?
    Thank You. It was here at edmunds that I learned about digg.com(now bookmarked as a favorite). Thanks for the "Hey Dave" back to me. I would love to know how many people look but don't post at edmunds. It was some time after Previa ownership that I posted. Tried to find my old poster name but I guess it exists in the netherworld.

I think people are waiting for the Alpha version of the H3. If it is true, the 'bu may become a colorado alpha version.
    Lots of lurkers here for sure - maybe you'll encourage a few to post about how their H3's are treating them.

I saw two Previas in an hour last Friday. One was a bit ragged looking but the other was pretty nice looking. They were ahead of their time I think.

Say hey to Mrs. TOD too. :shades:
    Thank You. For others, Mrs TOD is Better_Half. '92 Previa gave it away (sold cheap-another texas title story-misguided empathy)with 150K+ miles. Seat left a lot to be desired on a long trip unless young with a good spine. Transmission fluid - Mobil 1 - seemed burnt every year when I changed it. Couldn't do the century mark against a very high wind. Loved that modified race engine and always wanted to put it into another vehicle. 120/120 hp ftlbs at 2k rpm.
    "I saw two Previas in an hour last Friday. One was a bit ragged looking but the other was pretty nice looking. They were ahead of their time I think."

Since edmunds is all automotive maybe you can provide a link. You stated the previa was ahead of the times (except for crashworthiness)and this for some reason stuck with me. Just now one digg led to another and revisited the battery contracts for the Volt.

My brain cell put the two together. Why the big hood on a Volt. Batteries under the previa floorpan and quick change out motors, one at each wheel. No driveshafts, no hood needed? No differential? then a good computer needed.

Should I get back to work or let the brain cell ramble on - decisions decisions.

Or just give us an H3 for suburbia with a 3.55 or 3.73 gears and a decal "Not for Use as a Rockclimber".
    Hey, I saw the Previas in the real world, no links. :-)

If you mean a link for them being ahead of their time, that's just my opinion. But I bet there's a link out there agreeing with me!

Don't forget the little ICE for when the batteries lose so much charge you can't drive home....
    Sorry Steve and Tidester if Edmunds has posted the releases about the engineers/Volt and the 4.5L diesel. Saw these at the auto and digg blogs earlier.

Volt, posters are already claiming it is a fiasco as far as power sources and that they think batteries are the way to go. Really?

H2 gets the general made diesel. Why didn't the general give me a plain belching 1/2 truck decades ago. First diesel ride (back seat of a F350 PS plain 7.3) and the driver said you should see the new turbo versions. We had a high pressure rail, vgt, viscous water heater and pain. No thanks for now and possibly for 2010, 2011, and 2012.
    It seems that this Sunday's Ed Wallace article is not linkable either from the paper or his insideautomotive site. It's another good read if you have been a fan of his, peak oil, and the industry.

On a fun note and for one who shouldn't throw stones, count the number of times the "a" word is used on tv or even in the same sentence. I put up with proactive, literally(thank goodness it seems a madtv skit cured that one), basically, and now the "a" word. It came out of my mouth recently and I had to go gargle, "Actually".
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    No, not the Colorado Alpha. High-performance Chevys are called 'SS'. ;)
    Touché
    "stealerships" tomorrow's column may provide enlightenment.
    (However, without being able to buy the paper, you may have to wait a week.) And while a good union can protect its' workers and the public interest sometimes a union shouldn't demand one hundred percent coverage for everything all the time. There is a new reality. And this is from the son of a union man, a union man who fought for basic survival needs (not work without pay etc etc etc)on the job where organizations had/have the attitude that workers are expendable and plentiful. But then again, some governments are also to blame.