Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    There is some gnashing of teeth about GM's sales figures released on some forums. I tend to think that they are trying to get back to quality and a fair price for a product. Yes, I am aware of pistons, gaskets, etc. (Those of us older drivers may remember long ago the dreadful decision to reduce the silver content of silver solder in the tranny coolers tubes in the radiator). But if I remember correctly it was dcx that first stated that parts suppliers with the cheapest price no matter where in the world would get their business. Someone at lost or here? posted that a certain relay used to have gold plated connectors and cost $1.50 and now the asian supplier provided a five cent relay. It was also gm who came to this country's defense with 0% financing.

"230 Columns Later - 8/06/2006 03:00 AM CDT
    Wheels By Ed Wallace , Special to the Star-Telegram
    Perhaps the best memory is of a remote broadcast (scheduled before 9/11) on September 22, 2001, done from a Kwik Kar Oil and Lube Center in Plano. That would also be the first weekend of the original “Zero Percent Financing” offer from General Motors."

And yes, we always appreciate the good people who are in the car business who have made our purchases so care free and honest.
    Wanted to leave b-h's h3 alone, but the good people at another forum got those new torsion bars and other items up and running with some good pictures. Good Job. Well done. But now that is causing us to salivate and think about opening up our wallets, probably more like checkbook, to go where they have gone.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    Any plans for the H3 to get a diesel like the H2? I would think a diesel H3 would get better mpg than an H2.
  • jimilanejimilane Member Posts: 1
    I'm having intermittent problems that Hummer can't find. My warranty is about to expire and then they;ll find it and find a way to bill me. Is there a way to disconnect the speedometer from time to time ( so the warranty doesn't appear to run out) to buy some time for the problem to manifest clearly and get fixed.
  • milhummilhum Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems with their driver's window switch not working ?
    Mine has stopped working. Good thing the window was in the up position when the switch went out.
    TIA
    Ken
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    NO
    should be a warantty issue. please post your result. :)
    Reports here or other forums some time back about the wire bundle in the door. Or maybe this tired old brain is failing.
  • jimlee1jimlee1 Member Posts: 2
    When Driving at low speeds while off-roading with the Air Conditioner on, my H-3 Adventure-Lux often overheats. The dealership mechanics are very capable and well trained and say that they can find nothing wrong with the cooling system. Any Ideas?
  • hummeehummee Member Posts: 4
    That is debatable, I'm having to bring my H3 to the dealership every week. I've had it there 4 weeks in a row. The problem is that my Service 4 wheel drive keeps coming up. Today I told them if they can't get it right I want a new vehicle. So next week there taking my H3 for 3 days they say and going to check it out again. The first time they checked it out they said they had to replace wiring the second time they said they had to replace a connector then they replaced the moduler in the transfer case........What next???????? :mad: Never had another problems with this vehicle. I love driving it except when that darn light comes on to tell me to service 4 wheel drive.
  • cowmanducowmandu Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: How do I replace driver's side mirror on H3? Can't figure out how to get int. panel off.
  • sante65sante65 Member Posts: 8
    My H3 won't start sometimes. It doesn't happen often but when it does the engine will crank but it won't start. Also when I let go of the key the engine is still cranking. Usually after about ten minutes it will finally start.
  • davemanessdavemaness Member Posts: 1
    ok, this happened to me twice now.. i'll start from the beginning. A month ago my wife and I decided to go to vegas because gas has gotten so cheap. So we load up the kids, luggage get in and our h3 won't start.. first time this ever happened. We then took everything out and loaded it all in my truck still determined to go since we had hotel reservations paid for. As we were sitting in the front seat, I went over what I did different before the starting problem started. I told my wife I moved the passenger seat all the way forward and put my 4 year old in his big boy seat so my wife could tend to our infant in the back for the drive to vegas..well I got out of the truck, went back in the garage, opened the passenger door, moved the seat back a few inches, put the key in the ignition and bamm.. "it started" so then we loaded everything back in the hummer and off we went..Later I talked to my step father, who is a real grease monkey from the sixties and explained what had happened and he knew right away.. He said my GM product was in "crash mode" due to me moving my seat all the way forward. It thinking I was in a wreck, disabled the engine from starting or in the case of a wreck it would shut down the motor,gas pump and so on.. which leads me to tonight.. earlier I went to the store and again moved the passenger seat forward but this time, not even close to all the way foward. went to the store, came back home and went out to dinner later. lLaving the restaurant we got in and the unthinkable happened again.. It wouldnt start. just cranking and cranking. so I got out moved the passenger seat up,down, back, and forth, reached under the seat and jiggled the wires around."electric seats" reached over and turned the key and It started...and by the way when it would'nt start the first time it happened I would let go the key and for about 3 seconds it would keep cranking.. GM seams to be like ford."They have a better idea"
  • hourcchourcc Member Posts: 1
    Hey this is an excellent explanation.......makes sense to me because my H3 parks on a 60degree incline......

it is very possible that my seats were not moved correctly. I actually went out and bought a new battery!!!! and it still wouldn't start....... then about 15 minutes later, I came out and bam! it started??? OK here is the real test, tomorrow morning when I go to work, I will see if I still get problems.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    First thing to check are the electric cooling fans (I assume this vehicle has them). Then check for any blockage to the radiator. If you go through mud and the front of the A/C condenser gets caked with mud, there will be reduced air flow through the radiator.

Keep in mind that the A/C condenser dumps a lot of heat when A/C is operating, and this additional heat makes it harder for the radiator to provide sufficient cooling for the engine.

If the electric fans are good, you may want to consider going to a lower temperature thermostat.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    This went on display this week...Arnold already wants one of these...

33 MPG hwy long trips....electric only first 40 miles or so.

http://www.rasertech.com/media/videos/the-electric-h3
  • partsguy78partsguy78 Member Posts: 3
    I leased a H3 with 285/75/16 tires, but when I bought the truck I swapped the tires with a different size. Do I need to put the exact size tires back on or can I turn it in with the other H3 tire option 265/75/16?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    On all the vehicles I have leased that I changed out the tires the only thing the dealer looked at was how much tread was left. One said he thought it was a little low and I stated that hey, I leased it for 3 years and the mileage is way less than I could have used so I didn't see a problem. Never heard anymore. They just send them to GMAC who auctions them off and no one even sees them. I have also called GMAC and bought one car for almost 6K less than the agreed price was on the lease as it wasn't worth that much. I bet GMAC will be/is taking a bath on the leases left now as my wifes Caddy is quoted at almost 27K and wholesale now is about 20K and the lease isn't up till next Jan. Its been a great car and we may decide on making them an offer next winter. Nothing to lose.
    continues to keep open the tranny downshift issue. I also believe like the OP that the shift points, kick down switch in earlier days?, could use an adjustment or my depth of use is not meaningful. Other than having the plastic A pillars taped down to reduce the deafening noise at speed against a headwind from OK, the only other dealer visit was to take a tech with tool connected to the obd to test tranny. With the tool connected, a request for maximum power at 60mph produced that lousy kickdown to second which the tech stated was per specs. While taking blue beauty for a warmup and fuel up some time back, jumped on 65mph road and needed to get up to speed. Made the mistake of putting the pedal to the floor. Kick down to second, rpm's to max, and no real additional speed. Reminded me of the gas automatic deuce and a half at Bragg.

Used Bu for numerous trips earlier this year for shorter interstate time. One time blue beauty was used - tired, tired of I 35. Little arbuckle hill, if at 80 would hold and build speed. Otherwise if they clogged all three lanes and had to brake, back to where is the power. I try to remember to watch the speed and play the go pedal to get maximum performance, like passing and saying where did that power come from.

It was those trips that did in this tired old back and caused the bu to be replaced by blue rubi which is very nice for those trips.
    Now they post about the tranny coolers. Repeat performance. Decades ago a lot of grief was caused by some bean counter reducing the silver content in the silver solder (as my memory recalls). You have to be able trust your drivetrain. Better_Half has a nice daily driver and Onstar (and an extended warranty).
  • bustersmombustersmom Member Posts: 2
    I'm strongly considering a used 2007 H3. I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not, so I thought I'd ask those of you that actually have a hummer.

Mileage is 23,000, has power sunroof, some chrome on body, but otherwise seems to be pretty standard.

The dealer really hasn't moved from his original price of $21,880. The trade in value on my current jeep started at 12,000 but now he's up to $13,600. I owe $13000 on it right now, so I would have a whopping $600.

They are unwilling to move on price since they've upped the trade in value $1600. I asked for exterior accessories since they wouldn't move on price, but they finally said, this is the best they can do.

As a give back, they said if I ordered accessories (roof carrier, etc) they'd give me a deep discount.

Bottom line - is this a good deal? I can't ask the men in my family since they all think I've lost my mind....again.

Thanks
    Ruth
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The last post in the Hummer H3 Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion raises the issue of value and support.

If GM completes the pending sale to the Chinese company trying to buy it (not a sure thing), does that help or hurt the resale? Scarcity could increase the value, but who knows. There should be plenty of parts available even at GM dealers for quite a while I'd think.

There's a Used Car Appraiser here that may help.
  • hummeehummee Member Posts: 4
    I just got rid of my 2007 h3. I had big problems with the service 4 whl drive and stabilitrak. 12 times i brought it in and it seemed like it would fix it for a couple of weeks. If I we're you I'd ask for the history on repairs before you buy it.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The trade in value on my current jeep started at 12,000 but now he's up to $13,600. I owe $13000 on it right now, so I would have a whopping $600. They are unwilling to move on price since they've upped the trade in value $1600......................Bottom line - is this a good deal?

Maybe, maybe not, as you haven't given any details about the Jeep except what you owe, which has no bearing on its trade in value.
    Ruth,

Like the other response, what jeep do you own ? what year?

Why buy used? For years the net has been talking about Korea being the new Japan. The situation is not going to get better. Moriarty is afoot. If your Jeep is not a wrangler or if you bought a wrangler or anything from a tote the note...

Notice how your jeep went up from 12k to 13.6k

Think about it
  • bustersmombustersmom Member Posts: 2
    First of all...thanks to all of you that replied.

I did in fact trade in Jeep Commander and buy the Hummer H3.
    I'm very happy with the trade and so far am enjoying my H3.

I was surprised that within an hour of picking up the H3, some one asked if it was one of those 'gas guzzling' machines. The woman clearly had an agenda, and I had to bite my tongue to not snap at her.

I've considered having a bumper sticker made that says something along the lines of....

Facts don't lie....
    a) My energy consumption
    b) TIMES 20
    c) Equals = Al Gore’s consumption

Thanks.
    Ruth">
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just tell them you are a product engineer from GM and this is a test model with a duel gas/hydrogen powered engine to cover you if at a gas station. When they want to see it say sorry it has a sealed hood and can only be opened at the factory.
    put Hunter road force balanced Toyo OC AT 's on Blue Beauty. Didn't need to just felt something not right. Considered Cooper because of hitting a forum of snow plowers in the midwest some time back. Young installer thought toe was out because of the inner and outer tread pattern wear. Told him I didn't think so. Only rotated once front to back at 12k now at over 30k. Camber was a little off, aligned, great job great cross measurements nice tires.
  • bungerbunger Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at 2007 H3's

I noticed that the location of the driver's side power window / door lock switches are located differently on some vehicles. In some they are located on the flat of the arm rest, on others they are located more forward and on the slant of the arm rest.

Is this a change that was made mid year or is it associated with a certain trim level?
  • andrei3andrei3 Member Posts: 5
    Here's a small review of the 2010 Hummer H3 and H3T, including the original press release and some photos.

"All 2010 Alpha series’ models will be powered by a 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel engine rated at 300 hp and 320 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine is mated to a Hydra-Matic 4L60 electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission. Is not much of a green car, but according to James Taylor..."

Here's the whole article:
    2010 Hummer H3 and H3T

And also the picture gallery:
    2010 Hummer H3 and H3T pictures
    if you want green join the girl scouts :P
  • venicebeachboyvenicebeachboy Member Posts: 6
    can anyone tell me how to remove the lower plastic grill (behind this is where the horn is bolted on) on a 2006 hummer h3 so as to change the disgusting horn they come with? thanks.
  • lizfitzlizfitz Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem. It happen several times and I never knew when it was going to strand me for almost exactly 10 minutes, yuntil the little light went off. I think the problem if gone, the solution... a new battery in my FOB, my car alarm.
    Four years ago in September a CRD was turned into her Blue_Beauty.
    Preventative replacement of battery last autumn. Bilstein shocks, probably jumped the gun on that one. A pillars glued down twice. Greased squeeky heater tubes. Jumped the gun on changing out the factory tires but those Toyo AT's ride so nice. Dang shame some buyer couldn't get around factory and warranty issues. The front end issues could be fixed. Still a fine machine and reinforced when she lets me have the keys.
    It feels dang good to have two nice, each in their own right, 4x4's.
    H3 Adventure Pkg and JK Rubicon Unlimited.
  • which2choosewhich2choose Member Posts: 5
    I really need an educated opinon about the H3. I have been looking for a new a car for awhile now. Thought I was going to be getting the Acura MDX but decided that it was insane to spend 30k or anything close to that for a used vehicle. I've only owned Honda so when it come GM im clueless. I get a lot of neg. feedback about GM vehicles but my friend leased an 07' Hummer and now that the lease is up just bought a brand new one. I really liked hers and with 50k on it shes had no mechanical issues which, from what I hear about other GM vehicles, is pretty impressive. If I would get a hummer (due to my growing family) I would probley get an 07' or 08' bc of my budget. As far as safety, reliability, and space (for 2 children) goes, would an H3 be a good and safe decision for my family and check book? Again, I've only owned Honda and LOOVEE them for their reliability but I'm not impressed with the look of the 07-08 models, shallow...i know! but it bothers me enough to explore all the options out there. Whatever vehicle I buy we will be keeping it about 5 years, maybe more, so I don't want something that I'm going to have to keep dumping $ into. I also have concerns since GM has stopped production of the H3's...does this mean they will be a pain to fix or deal with down the road? PLEASE help!
  • jimlee1jimlee1 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 06 H3 Adventure/Lux model. We simply love it and have a ball with it. We like it because it is a very comfortable and capable off-road vehicle. A few thing that you should know. The mileage is around 17 to 20 mpg depending on your driving habits. We had a few maintenance issues early on but all were covered by waranty. As far a getting things fixed, we take ours to our local Cadillac/Hummer dealer and have been completely satisfied with GM service. The H3 is very comfortable and easy to drive and if you have winter weather, it is a great vehicle because of the 4 wheel drive and anti-skid capability. We tow ours behind our motorhome which works great. We have used it for Saturday nights our as well as off-road all over the USA and it has always gotten us home. We will probably keep it until the fenders rust off and our Hummer dealer can no longer pass it up. If you do get a H3 be sure to rotate the tires regularly because they tend to wear the outside edges. We absolutely love ours and there is plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 kids as well as other stuff that you want to take along with you.
    Thanks for your input! I was just wondering if it would be a comfy fit for 2 kids or not? My sons car seat is pretty big, that seems to be the way they're making them now so when our 2nd comes along Im sure his or her car seat is going to be just as big. So all things considered do you think it would comfortably seat both of them? Also, do u know if hummers have child anchors in the back seat? They're little bars in the seat usually beside the seat belt buckles. Thanks agian for your response!
    Also, do u know if hummers have child anchors in the back seat?

The H3s all have LATCH child seat anchors if that's what you were asking.
    If you go to HUMMER.com you can download the brochures and spec sheets for all the different models.
    Thank you! I will be checking that out!
    edited July 2010
    "new car" to you, looking at 07-08, Acura MDX, I've only owned Honda...
    ...friend...hers implies female with unknown mechanical ability
    Onstar is good for better_half in her H3. Ford Sync, etc push a button get assistance

Then you are used to noisy to ride in Honda's. Haven't tested one in many years. Know that Ody, Pilot, Ridgeline seem to be built on same chassis. Saw "4wd" Pilots handle the blizzard this Christmas Eve. Will we keep our H3 - probably. It feels like a Caddy (after Bilsteins and Toyo AT's) compared to our Rubicon (waiting to see what new tires and shocks will do).

Repeated many times it is your money spend it as you wish. A bad vehicle that you are emotionally attached to will be forgiven numerous times even after being stranded. A great problem free vehicle without that something that emotional attachment will be traded in then missed.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    We have an '06 H3 that we love but want to trade up to an H3T because of cargo utility and the V8. Its like they all fell off the Earth. There are none at the ex-dealers, none listed on used car search engines (within 200 miles of LA)!. Did they not make any in the final year?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I believe that GM shut down production of the H3 and H3T last January. Only about 5500 of the '09s were sold so they would be pretty scarce too. :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Only about 5500 of the '09s were sold so they would be pretty scarce too.

There's just one on eBay at the moment; black on black with 15K it has a BIN of $28.9K.
  • drocz1drocz1 Member Posts: 1
    hi
    glad to see ur interest in the H3s....its like their slogan said....like nothing else.
    We bought our mellow yellow in late 2005 when they first came out...so its been almost 5 years...other than routine maintenance its been great. I initially got it because at the time it was the only mid size suv that had the side curtain airbags and having 2 small children it was vital. My little one at the time had a car seat so there was plenty of space for it...as a whole it has excellent leg room even for taller adults.
    The cargo room is great inthe back for long trips (which we have pretty much have taken all along the east coast up to Toronto down to Florida. Another main reason we got the truck is that it was the vehicle for my wife to have during the day with the children so size and safety is a major factor also living in upstate NY we see alot of snow in the winters. So it had to be a vehicle that could perform...and boy has it, my wife has had to pick me up a few times that ive been stranded during storms...man i have to say its an incredible feeling when youre going right through feet of snow while everyone else is stuck or sliding all over the place even other suvs. Of course at the end of the day tires make a huge difference but the 4x4 capabilites of this truck are pretty impressive. Its not a sports cars so merging into traffic isnt effortless but i'll tell you it handles great especially in turns and uturns and rides almost as smooth as a sedan on long trips. Gas mileage to Florida was no lie 18.3mpg and that was with 2 adults 2 children and a bunch of luggage! I put in a K & N air filter - dont knowif iit actually helped but it claims to improve mileage...im looking to put inthe whole air intake next so perhaps that will help even more.
    Honestly it could have used some more cup holders, slight reclining seats in the rear and maybe some rear seat warmers and lighted mirrors to make it perfect but no complaints otherwise. It sits nice and high and gives you a safer feel overall, of course you will get your rare fanatical tree hugger make a comment but overall i have gotten nothing but inquiries and compliments since i got it...forget about dirving by little kids...its like a giant toy to them so they all love it! lol I agree with another poser...we will drive it until the doors fall off because compared to other family vehicles...ive had a mini van, a ford taurus wagon...the gas mileage is comparable even better than the min van. At the end of the day aesthetically if you like it go for it...there is nothing as cool looking really to me personally...it will be like any other vehicle...you have to be lucky you can buy a newvehicle that is a lemon (which if uner warantee will be taken care of) or a new one that is almost service free...as long as you take care of it routinely - oil changes tire rotations filters etc, take it to the dealer when seomthign seems off...it will take care of you. good luck on your decision.
  • drtom5drtom5 Member Posts: 1
    h3 new today in usa = 69!! left,,dropping apx 1/day will be done by jan 11

want one ,,hurry, i got my new h3 adv after driving an 07 1yr, from 37k to 56k

loved it,got a fresh one to last
  • chrishaycoxchrishaycox Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a cheap hummer. Hopefully under $10G....Just a wish. thought I'd through it out there.
  • sante65sante65 Member Posts: 8
    Have you been able to fix this problem. My hummer has the exact same problem.
  • angelfuryangelfury Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Hummer h3 in the beginning of 2006. After, about 3 months of having the vehicle the check engine light came on. So I panicked wuickly went back to another dealer closer to my area. I was told it was fixed but, 2 days later light back on. So i brought it back to the dealer. After they kept the truck for 2 months-2 months. I was told it was fixed all to get the truck back and it wasn't driving like a new vehicle or any vehicle more like a dump truck. so instead I decided to take it back to original dealer where I purchased. Service dept basically told me car was ruined from someone doing work that didn't know what they where doing to this type of vehicle. I have had countless problems with this truck to many to list and GMAC is full of it. I was a single/hard working mother at the time that don't ask for hand outs. I saved up for a while to purchase this truck for me and my daughter to have reliable transportation. Something would could be proud to say was ours all to be screwed. It hurts tremendously. I needed this car to last me at least 10 years after paying it off I doubt that will happen. Curretnly, the truck is back in the shop. I have had the truck 5 years I gaurantee it has been in the shop at least 6mo to a year of that time. Think carefully before you purchase this truck new or used. Don't do it? I could go on and on but I think you will get the just from what's wriiten.
    It's not unusual for any vehicle to have the check light come on.
    Your problem seems to be with the dealer that messed it up, rather than the poor truck.

I'm not particularly a fan of the H2s and H3s, but the reliability of the H3 is pretty average with the H2 a little less so; lots of niggly electrical problems.

It's also possible you have a :lemon: , but that doesn't mean all H3s are lemons.

All manufacturers turn out a lemon occasionally, but that doesn't mean you should never buy another car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012