Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Here's the latest:

Look familiar?
    I don't think so...

• rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    I can't convince you of anything. Just check back after official pics are posted.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Cute little bugger, ain't it?
    ecorrell is the one that thinks thats not the H3, not me.
  • ecorrellecorrell Member Posts: 6
    I thought concept cars look alot like the production vehicle? If thats true then why didn't Hummer display a vehicle that looks like your yellow "Bugger" at an auto show rather than the H3t. You say your "Bugger" is the production car, but it dosen't look like the H3t. And as the matter of fact, no I don't expect the next Hummer to look like the H2. You would think that designers at Hummer would bring a newer more exciting design to the game, are we the consumers asking too much? And if "your" hummer isn't more expensive, is near size to the h2, and looks like the h2 then what was the reason of pricing the h2 so high for damn near the same vehicle? And if concepts look like the production vehicles tell me if the following vehicles could look the same when going into production: L.A.:Dodge kahuana, Detroit:Toyota FTX, New York:Lexus LFC, Ford Bronco.
    It was late. I deleted the post, because I wasn't paying attention to who your response was directed at. Please accept my apologies. I know you aren't delusional.
    Dude, give it a rest! I'm bored with your banter. Anyone who can't look at the spy pic I posted and compare it to the manufacturer photo (not MY photo, but Hummer's vendor photo) and see the same vehicle, isn't worth communicating with any longer. EVERYTHING IS THE SAME, EXCEPT THE MIRRORS. This most likely means the vendor photo is probably a semi-hand-built pre-production test mule. The more vertical mirror may not have been as practical as the more horizontal version in the spy shots.

Heed our advice: wait until we see the Hummer-released production photos, and you'll see how wrong you are.
  • hummerfanhummerfan Member Posts: 3
    I recently wrote to HUMMER.com and my local HUMMER dealer. Here are their replies.

HUMMER.com reply

Thank you for contacting HUMMER and for your interest in the 2006 HUMMER H3 SUV!
    HUMMER will continue to challenge the current standard for Sport Utility
    vehicles and hope that you will accompany us on this journey of success!
    Official photographs of the H3 SUV will be released sometime during the fourth
    quarter of 2004. The HUMMER H3 SUV is an approved model and will be available
    in 2005 as a 2006 model year vehicle. This vehicle will compete in the
    medium-size sports utility vehicle segment. Information concerning
    specifications, options as well as literature is currently not available.

The HUMMER H3 is another great addition to a long lasting legacy of off-road
    freedom. H3 will have a unique platform, borrowing from corporate components,
    but will have distinguished design queues and characteristics of a true HUMMER!
    Pricing has not yet been finalized, but will be competitive among other
    medium-sized SUVs. Please continue to keep in contact with your local HUMMER
    dealership for updates, as they become available or HUMMER Marketing Support.

HUMMER dealer reply

Thank you for contacting McDermott Hummer. My name is Eric Ekblade, I'm the
    Internet Manager here at the Dave McDermott Auto Group.

I just reviewed your information with my Hummer Sales Manager and he said that
    we are supposed to be seeing the Hummer H3 sometime next summer. It is going to
    have a starting price of aprox. $29,000 and we are currently taking orders right
    now. Hummer has told us that there will not be enough H3's to cover the demand
    needed for a while so if you are seriously interested, I can put you in contact
    with the Sales Manager and you can place you order.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... no contact information - including names of internet managers.

tidester, host
    Sorry won't happen again.
    These links are from the H3ML mailing list.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10041/H3_rear- - .jpg

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10041/H3_int%- - 20copy.jpg

It was also stated in the mailing list that a manual transmission was optional any thoughts on this.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hummer plans to add a third model to its lineup. We take an early look at the upcoming H3. Read about it in this week's SUV newsletter from Edmunds.com
    where is the SUV newsletter?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

Newsletters

Steve, Host
    I don't see the H3 article.
    Current newsletters are emailed out; then the content goes live on the site. Sign up, or hang out a week :-)

Steve, Host
    Signed up yesterday and still haven't got anything.
    hmmm, I just got the latest SUV one today. Maybe you just missed the cut-off.

This was in it:

2005 HUMMER H3 Midsize SUV

Steve, Host
    Aren't all the info there old?
    Not if you aren't an avid reader of this board :-)

Steve, Host
  • anhedonicanhedonic Member Posts: 8
    The first full vehicle build will take place today in Shreveport, Louisiana. Trust me-this truck is the coolest SUV I have ever laid eyes on. Perfect size, totally HUMMER in attitude! Plus, they spec'd heavier gauge sheetmetal all the way around, so it is built to the same standard as it's older brothers. (Some of the aft body metal is 2mm thick! ...automobiles built today have panels as thin as .65mm)

Pity the poor soul who rear-ends you at a light. :o)
    http://64.83.76.92/hummer/attachments/H3-01.jpg

change the # from 1 to 9.

Hmm. it looks just like that yellow one.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    I really like the looks of this SUV and it sounds very capable off-road (40 degree side angle!) But it's an underpowered, porky vehicle that I would not buy until it got diesel power. It's got the exact same Vortec 3500 5 cylinder from Chevy Colorado, but (at 4700 lbs curb wieght) H3 weighs nearly 900 lbs more than a Colorado CrewCab 4x4! You can forget about going uphill or towing 4000 lbs uphill. This power to weight ratio is just slightly better than the 2004 VW Touareg V6. Instead of thicker (heavier) steel, I would have liked smarter crash zone design to improve safety ratings. Hummer says that they are looking at more diesel options, I think that they should find a good, 5 or 6 cylinder diesel that would be more adequate for this SUVs weight.

And they should also think about pricing it a little lower. The average price after options is supposed to be at $40K. I don't care how nice it looks and offroads, but I will not spend $40K on an underpowered SUV.

I will wait for other engine options.

2FastDre.
    Just uploaded some more pics its now up to 14
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Beautiful!!!!!!!!!

GM has a hit here I'm sure.
  • anhedonicanhedonic Member Posts: 8
    The original pitch (for the 355 Colorado/Canyon project)to the corporation included a 4 cylinder diesel from Isuzu, but it didn't make it through the Marketing/Financial departments. This would have been a no-brainer to package in the H3. ...and I agree with you on the advantage of a diesel option-it's just that we represent too small a group to offset the development costs...maybe when oil hits $75.00 demand will force the issue. One of the primary reasons for the popularity of diesels in Europe is the price of gasolines there...

As for the 'smarter crash zone' concept-the metal thickness isn't a prerequisite to success in FMVSS crash studies or GM's own internal crash testing...the goal is to transfer the energy of an impact through the structure, around the occupant envelope-an outcome controlled by careful placement of failure points in the body and chassis assemblies-until the kinetic energy is wasted as heat. The thicker metal isn't needed to accomplish this...what it adds is tremendous rigidity to the body shell and added resistance to panel distortion, etc.. (Ever leaned against a contemporary sub-compact quarter panel?) This is the truck you want to be in if you and your family are in a multiple roll-over!
    As for price, I too would have liked to have seen this truck base at around $30K, but at least the extra cash is buying something tangible...I remember the premium some folks paid for the Cadillac Cimmaron-$3K or better to have a few Cadillac badges attached to a Cavalier.

Just promise me you will take the time to visit a Hummer dealer and take one for a test drive when they become available...I think you will be suprised at how 'non-porky' this thing behaves. Yeah, it is heavy for it's size and could benefit from some extra cubes under the hood, but the H3 is like a NFL lineman-massive, but shockingly nimble.

I honestly believe that this is the jewel of the Hummer line-up.
    Anhedonic,

I would welcome a chance to test drive an H3. But my logic would not let me buy it as it stands right now. I currently drive a 2001 Pathfinder (240hp and about 4100 curb weight). It does OK but really has to work going over the Continental Divide on I-70 or towing my 3500 lbs boat+trailer at around 6000ft elevation. The H3 would have to work even harder. When I buy a new vehicle, I like to move up in power and capability (not move down). Even the Jeep Liberty 4 banger diesel would help me better than the 3500 Vortec. Don't get me wrong - I think that the 3500 is a very advanced engine; but it's asked to do a lot with the H3.

2FastDre.
    Thats actually 40%, slightly over 20 degrees.
  • majortombmajortomb Member Posts: 1
    My 5510 pound 96 Trooper S 4x4 with the 190hp 3.2L V6, the 5 speed tranny and limited slip rear feels rather sprightly compared to the 2004 4x4 Dakota SLT Quad Cab with the 3.7L 210hp V6, the 5 speed tranny and limited slip. The Dakota had 235 ft-lbs of torque, the Trooper only has 188, and the Dodge weighs 6010 lbs. Still by my math the Trooper has 29 pounds per horsepower and the Dakota has only 25.6. Don't know why the Dakota feels like such a dog.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I was going to buy the 2004 Dakota anyway (can't get a 5 speed in a 2005 and getting any standard is getting tougher and tougher) until I heard about the H3. The H3 weighs about 800 pounds less than the Trooper and the 3.5L five cylinder is torquier than the Isuzu V6. I can't wait for a test drive.
  • deadwooddeadwood Member Posts: 8
    If this is it then I'll past. If photo 103 is it then its a buy.
    The most informative test drive would be to go up I-70 (west of Denver) and see how it behaves going up the 7-9% grades above 6000ft elevation. It better hold about 65mph without revving too too much. Of course, the only way you can do this test drive if it's a part of the 24hr test drive. Regular test drives allow you to test the off the line acceleration and overall ride, but it doesn't really allow you to test towing ability or high speed hill climbing.

Nothing is able to hold speed better on the uphill than a diesel, so no test drive would really be needed.

2FastDre.
  • diesel4surediesel4sure Member Posts: 1
    100% with you on this. I grew up in Europe and trust me the diesel engines are in 70% of luxury cars over there, this says it all. The only thing I don't like about H3 (hate it...to be more accurate) is the engine. I own a 4,300-pound Ford Explorer Sport Trac equipped with a v6 4liter engine, stronger than vortec 3.5liter and not once I've wished they had a v8 option. This is just one big mistake from GM. Who's looking for a rugged off-road suv knows what he wants from engine standpoint. And their so-called fuel efficiency choice is just a lame excuse to bother looking for a far better choice. A diesel option would bring better fuel mileage, higher torque and a lot more customers to dealerships. I just hate to look somewhere else, for instance to the upcoming Nissan X-Terra with a much better 4l v6 engine rated at 250+hp and 270+ torque in a lighter suv. It’s not a diesel but quite torquey at least…
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Problem with diesel is it's hard to find in some areas so you have to be careful not to run out of fuel if you are out and about.

I also think they smell bad and they are noisy. I guess as an option ok but..
    Anyone buying?

Steve, Host
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    I just put a deposit on an H3. I was the 11th to do so at my dealer in Virginia Beach. So far everyone is getting in line at MSRP. I understand that the first trucks are not due until June now (another delay) and that I should expect mine in July. I would love to hear from others what options they are getting. At this point I understand that the base price is about $28,000 before dealer add-ons and it will top out at $36,000.
    Steve, thanks for opening the forum again but looks like there is no interest yet. Should get alive again as the release date gets closer. So thanks...but if you want to move it to Read Only again, that is fine.
    It'll automatically archive if we don't have any more activity for a couple of months. You never know who's lurking, so feel free to talk to yourself :-)

Steve, Host
    I have been all over the net looking for people talking about the H3....almost nothing. No buzz at all. If there is no buzz, will it sell? I am almost certain if they price it too high, it will be sitting on lots until sanity comes in. On the H2 Source board, only a couple of us are talking about it, I have started some brief threads elsewhere, but basically I see NO interest anywhere. Hummer....you listening?
    Ok, maybe not....

Hummer Ponders its Next Move (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    This is just getting silly now.

The HUmmer filled a niche in the market...a small niche. Which has gotten smaller with the increase in gas prices.

Now they are considering themselves as a complete car line? (small pick-up, large pick-up, mini-ute)

...this won't last
    Seems the latest on pricing is starting at 35K....if so, they have lost their first customer who has a deposit.
  • john333john333 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen the new Jeep Commander in the paper the other day, it kind of looks like the H3, does anyone know how the two products match up?
    From what I hear the Commander will be superior in offroad performance and that Hummer will ahve to respond. Also, the latest buzz now is that the starting base price will be $29,500. That may wake this forum up yet.
    GM to Invades Europe with Hummers (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    From the pictures I've seen:
    * Hardware: Crappy GM corporate issue steering column assembly - tilt, but no telescope. What were they thinking?
    * Design: All the windows look like mailbox slots. You won't just need a back-up camera, you'll need side and forward cameras, too, if you want to see out of the H3 (which would be a lot like playing a video game). What were they thinking?
    * Fuel economy: A fully loaded Colorado does 17/22 on the EPA test. 15/20 would be my estimate for the heavier, less aerodynamic H3. A five-speed automatic might help. The H2 and H3 as well as the compact/mid/full sized GM pickups and SUV's would be a perfect platform a diesel engine, or even a diesel hybrid. What were they thinking?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Hummer is a versatile machine and is being redeployed in Iraq with a new mission. I wonder if it can be modified to create parking space in urban settings? ;-)

tidester, host
  • michael10michael10 Member Posts: 29
    I agree, this would be a perfect vehicle for a diesel engine. Power and gas milage, what is not too like.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know when the Hummer H3 will be released?