Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• psywzrdpsywzrd Member Posts: 35
    I know this might sound obvious to some people here but anybody who is using GMID and leasing an H3 (or any other car for that matter) should know that the dealer cannot just quote you any price they want on the lease. As long as you know the MSRP, the cap cost (in this case it will be the GMID price), the interest rate, the money factor, the length of the lease, the sales tax, etc. you can basically tell the dealer what the monthly payment should be. The dealer will, of course, have to tell you about any other fees that may be built into the lease (acquisition fee, etc.) but as long as you have all of that information, the monthly payment will be calculated automatically. If you use any lease calculator program (I use LeaseWizard but there are many other ones out there) and run the figures through it, you will get the monthly payment. If the monthly payment the dealer quotes you is higher than what you get using the lease calculator, the dealer is ripping you off. If it's only off by a few dollars (by a few, I mean $5 or so), you're fine. If it's off significantly, they're inflating the monthly payment to try and make more money off you.

Don't forget - an educated consumer is a dishonest dealership's worst enemy. Know your stuff when you go in there and get all of the necessary numbers so you can do your own calculations. Don't trust the dealer to tell you what your monthly payment will be. Any decent lease advisor site will tell you the numbers you need to know and what is or isn't negotiable in a lease. As long as you know all of the costs involved, you can easily find out your monthly payment.
  • ildoildo Member Posts: 13
    Shawncmu, you are right, that dealer is crazy, if I decided buy it after two years, I have to pay 45K totally,
    that's almost a H2...

I think I will take my deposit back. and try other dealers.

I am just wondering what kind of price is fair for such config.
    35-38K ?
    500-600 lease?

what do you think?
    thanks
    Jun
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Car_Man over in Lease Questions - Ask Here can give you current residual numbers, cap costs (and lots more) on most any car.

Steve, Host
  • shawncmushawncmu Member Posts: 4
    Both Hummer dealers here in Pittsburgh showed me the invoices for the H3. It was no big deal for them to do so. Hopefully your salesperson will do the same.

On every invoice, there is the supplier price and the employee price, along with the invoice price. So if your salesperson is willing to honor the 4% over dealer cost, just ask to see the invoice. Bring a copy of the edmunds info including the invoice prices for all the options you want to make a comparison. I am pretty sure edmunds information is accurate. I know for sure there MSRP information exactly matches what is provided on the GM website.
  • horns1976horns1976 Member Posts: 56
    Jun,

My recommendations:

1. Get your deposit back from the dealer and take a deep breath.

2. Check out Lease Questions - Ask Here like Steve said. Also, check out leasecompare.com. I checked it out last night. They also have a forum where you can ask questions.

3. Don't be in a big rush. I think there are plenty of H3s to go around. A dealer emailed me today, "We have a vehicle like you want. No discount." My response was to press DELETE since I know about GMID now.

Aren't forums like this great????????????????

By the way, don't you live in Texas?? Black on black is going to be hot as Hades!! :(:cry:
    horns1976:
    haha, I like hot! ;)
    I will take back my deposit for sure, unless they will give me a better deal which I doubt. :(

and thank you for those dealers you mentioned before.
    I contacted them, and one of them replied and said they take GMID. and it's 1% off.

sounds great to me. but the price is still a little bit high, and I am waiting for their quote.

I really want a SUV right now, especially a HUMMER, that's my dream...

BTW: I think I tried leasecompare.com yesterday, and they said they don't have lease calculation for H3, anyway, I will try it again later.

thank you very much
    Jun
    Jun, have you visited both dealers in your area that will honor the GMID certificate?? If not, definitely do that. By the way, which dealer gave you the not-so-good lease quotes...Sewell (Plano) or Classic (Grapevine)?? Whichever one it was, go to the other one and see what they have to offer??

Are you dead set on leasing the vehicle as opposed to purchasing it outright??

By the way, there was an article in today's Wall Street Journal, "GM to End Employee-Discount Program" discounts for everyone on 8/1. The article also states, "For 2006, car maker plans everyday-low-price move;fewer rebates, less haggling." Good luck with that strategy!!!!! ;)
    Horn:
    I didn't visit them, the nearest dealer is 200miles away.
    I emailed them, Sewell(plano) didn't get back to me, Classic(grapevine) will accept GMID.
    the only one I visit in San Antonio is not so good to me.
    :(
    I am getting back the deposit.
    I think I prefer purchase one.

and for the end day of GMID, that will be a problem, because I am supposed to get it by next month.... so I think it will became useless :cry:
    Jun/ildo:

I noticed in your post that you said "and for the end day of GMID, that will be a problem, because I am supposed to get it by next month.... so I think it will became useless". If I'm understanding you correctly (and I'm not sure that I am), it seems that you're worried because the Employee Discount program is ending on August 1st and you're not getting your car until after that. GMID is totally different and is a separate program from the Employee Discount program. Since you're not taking advantage of the Employee Discount program, you don't have to worry about the August 1st date because it doesn't apply to you. The GMID discount is good for 6 months from the date it's issued, so you can take your time finding a dealer who will honor it.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I live in New Hampshire, and I'm thinking about buying an H3 (not leasing) But it seems that many of the dealers excepting GMID are far from New England.

What is the closest dealer, from the NE region now excepting GMID on an H3 purchase.

Thanks..
    boiko:

You might want to James Hummer Outlet in NJ - I believe somebody here mentioned that they are accepting GMID. I would think there might be a dealer closer to you that is accepting it as well but if not, give them a try.
    Jun, as you probably already know, GMID is not ending. You are fine with that.

I get the impression that you live in the San Antonio area. Perhaps one of the DFW dealers might be willing to meet you half way if he/she has the vehicle you want??? At the very least, I would think that the salesperson would be willing to pick you up at the airport if you flew to D/FW. A salesman offered to do that for us recently but we were driving to Dallas in the trade-in vehicle. What about the Houston dealers?? Will they accept the GMID certificate??

Obviously, you are not happy with the way the San Antonio dealer has treated you. :( So, your only choice is to look elsewhere. Good luck. :)
  • garykygaryky Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased and picked up a new H3, Yellow with black leather, sunroof, Lux Package, Off Road Package. Purchased from a local dealer in Louisville, KY. I was the first one they sold an H3 to that used the GMID. I talked them into it over a 2-3 week period.

MSRP 37,639.00
    GMID 34,348.89

Savings of $3,290.11 whoo hoooooo

Gary of Louisville, KY
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    With the GMS...are the dealers allowed (or not allowed) to charge for anything except TT/L? Also,(same question with the GMID certificate I received?
    The reason I ask....I had previously purchased a Ford vehicle with the use of X-Plan pricing (which seems to be about the same deal as the GMID certificate) and the dealer was not allowed to put any "extra charges" with the sale except for TT/L.
    horns:
    you are right, I can use GMID after Aug 1st.

but the dealer in DFW area didn't give me a very good price. maybe I just wanted more?
    the MSRP is $37,383.70.
    and after GMID is around 35K

if I do smartbuy, leasing, then it will be:
    24 mo @ about $730
    36 mo @ about $660

how about that price?
    is it normal? or too high? :(

thanks
    Jun
    you purchased it? or leasing?
    and how about your monthly payment? :)

thanks
    Jun
  • aaigohornsaaigohorns Member Posts: 6
    Jun -

What DFW dealer did you deal with? Is that price the final price (i.e., includes TTL)? Is the vehicle from dealer stock or an order?
    aaigohorns:

it's classic hummer, and the price is a estimate price include everything,

and I don't think they will have the vehicle I was asking for, have to wait couple of weeks.

Jun
    Jun -

So, it sounds like the final price was the original price less the GMID discount plus TTL. I have a GMID discount and am waiting to use it in the Dallas area. The prices I've seen mentioned on this board and others is a discount around $3,000-$3,300.

I can't seem to find the one I want. All that's left on the lots are ones that I don't want. I'll probably wait for the blue ones. Why don't more of the H3's have the light cashmere interior? In Texas, I just can't bring myself to get a black interior.
    aaigo...I'm with you. Black interior in Texas is too freaking hot. However, if I was buying, I would want black exterior with no chrome. All black, black grill, black everything except the interior. I think that would be sweet.

jun..I think $35K is too much with GMID discount. Of course, if/when they get the vehicle you want, the GMID price will be on the invoice so there will be no question whether it's legit or not.
    I purchased it. I put $1,300 down and financed $35K for 5 yrs at 4.5% interest thru my credit union. Payment $653.70 per month.

I plan on paying it off early but making an extra payment or 2 towards principal each year.

Gary.
    GM announced today along with the end of employee discount:

Buick and Hummer vehicles will get a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty previously reserved for GM's luxury Cadillac and Saab brands.
    haha
    I never think about hot.
    maybe you guys are right. :(
    but I think I can take it! ;)
    just can't imagine that a black one with black interior, looks not right for me :(

and yes, all in black will be a good idea, also will bring the price down for few thousands dollars.
    Gray:

could you tell us your car's configuration?

thanks
    Jun
    I was just talking to someone who told me that the H3 has a "4.56 rear end" gear ratio as standard equipment. I checked the H3 website and could not find the rear end gear ratio. I saw something about 4.03:1 if you have the off-road package. Anyone know what the standard rear end is??? Thanks.
    sure not a problem: Amount paid after GMID was $34,348.89. Below is MSRP #'s

HUMMER H3
    2006 H3
    LUXURY PACKAGE MSRP
    $28,935.00
    COLORS
    EXTERIOR: Yellow * NO CHARGE *

SELECTED OPTIONS:

LUXURY PACKAGE $3,125.00

Automatic Transmission w/ Stabilitrak $1,695.00

Off-Road Suspension Pkg. $925.00

Trailering Equipment $270.00

Wrap-Around Brush Guard $600.00

Sliding Glass Sunroof $800.00

XM Radio $325.00

Roof Rack Cross Bow (black) $399.00

TOTAL OPTIONS $8,139.00

TOTAL MODEL & OPTIONS $37,074.00

DESTINATION CHARGE $565.00

Total $37,639.00

Gary
  • cmr239cmr239 Member Posts: 12
    The 4.03:1 ratio refers to the tranfer case ratio, not the axle ratio. Standard tranfer case ratio is 2.72 - super low 4.03 is with off-road only. I have read on different sites that the two available axle ratios are either 4.10 or 4.56. Can not confirm this. In fact, I received the about 50 page H3 catalog from a Hummer dealer and nowhere in those 50 pages does it state the axle ratio. Seems odd to me that the Hummer site nor catalog talks about axle ratios.
    cmr...I also have the H3 catalog. I checked every page in the thing. Like you, I could not find any reference to axle ratios in the catalog or on the website. Seems odd to me as well.

My understanding as well is that the rear axle ratio is 4.56. Hadn't heard about the 4.10. Either one doesn't really do it for me. They should offer a 3.42 or similar rear end.
  • h2h2h2h2h2h2 Member Posts: 4
    WOW, some of these lease payments seem very high to me, compared to the lease prices offered by my local hummer dealers on H2's, is it just because they are so new?

Here's my lease on my 2004 H2.

Sticker: $50,3xx.
    Term: 24 Months
    Miles: 15,000 year
    Due at signing: $3,7xx
    Payment: $498.xx

They were also offering LUX Edition H2 for:

Sticker: $56,xxx
    Term: 48 Months
    Miles: 12,000
    Due at signing: $900 (first month and security deposit)
    Payment $450 month

Im just starting to look into the H3's as my lease will be up in the spring, and I figured I could get a $32,xxx sticker priced H3 for $300-$325 range with $3500-$4000 down. Am I crazy too think this?
  • arvindarvind Member Posts: 1
    Hello ppl .... I am planning to buy a H3 sometime next month ..... wanted to know a couple of things .... which is better .. the automatic one or the geared one? and also what is the max speed that it can do .. thnx

-Arvind.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Max speed is governed by the tires that are on it and programed into the computer. Most likely about 100 or less depending on gear ratio
  • ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
    What's the top speed????

Are you kidding? Who cares!
    It's an SUV for goodness sakes. Top speed should be one of your last concerns since a vehicle of this type really has no business going any faster than 80mph (which I'm sure it will safely manage).

As far as which transmission to choose, (they are both "geared", by the way) that is more a matter of preference more than which is "better." ......kinda like asking, "Which color is better, black or white?"

Don't take this the wrong way, but you've got to be a teenager or close to it to be asking questions like these...

:-)
  • showtyme5showtyme5 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought mine yesterday. Green with the tan leather. Got the luxury package, side rails, auto tranny, and tire cover. Paid about 37k for it......leased for 3 yrs 15k miles.....925 for license fees and first mth pmnt, then 567 a month. I got GMS pricing because my father works for GM, so that helped a little bit......only had to finance about 31k of the sticker price. Things I'm going to be getting in the near future are:

Navigation (all I wanted and they didn't have one at the dealer)
    Satellite Radio (installing that real soon)
    Bigger tires (have the 32" and they don't fill out the wheel wells like I want them too)
    Super Chip (def needs more hp)........but once I get the other 3 things taken care of I'll start on the enging

First things first, does anyone know what some nice big tires would be for this bad boy? I want to get some that'll fit on the wheels that are on it. Let me know if anyone has checked that out yet. Also, does anyone have a chip put in their H3 yet? Fill me in on that as well. Finally, it's nice to be a part of the Hummer family. Can't wait to take this thing offroading. :)
    GMS price was 37K???? Why so high?? What was the sticker price???
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    GMS price was 37K???? Why so high?? What was the sticker price???

I wonder if he mispoke as he did say he only had to finance 31K which again is a misquote as above that he said he leased it. I think the Hummer has effected his thinking :P
  • humvhumv Member Posts: 13
    hey guys i think i'm taking a car off the lot tommorrow, i need to know for the people that leased it if they had to pay a security deposit and/or an accusition fee? Please get back to me asap, thanks alot.
    Try a Search This Discussion in Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host
  • shadowfox1shadowfox1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone I am glad I found this forum. I am sure this has been asked like 100 times but where can I get a GMID? It seems like all the posts about it are older. Really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks
    T
  • cz3cqgcz3cqg Member Posts: 25
    For a GMID send birthdate and last 4 digits of your ssn to rocz3cqg@aol.com
    I picked up my new Black Adventure Package on Saturday. Sewell in Dallas treats you right.

One thing I have not seen posted is how much water the large tires throw off outside the wheelwells. The car gets dirty in a hurry.
    ordered the car, it's coming by oct 1st, excited.....!
  • gdiehlgdiehl Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,
    two weeks ago I tested an H3 and decided I liked a lot better than anything else I looked at. Ask the dealer to get back with me on a quote. 2 weeks later I'm waiting to hear from him. I sent e-mails to 4 other dealers in Ohio, only 1 responded. What's up with that. Are they so hot that if you don't buy on the spot they won't sell?

And...what is the GMID you're all talking about ?
    I suspect they just don't have a functional internet marketing department and the emails fall through the cracks. Or they want to get you in the door so they can size you up for maximum profit margin.

Try going retro with a Blast Fax.

Steve, Host
  • gdiehlgdiehl Member Posts: 15
    ok, I did a little reading and now I know what a GMID is. I'd like to buy an H3 this weekend and join you all in the club, so...
    1) how do I get a GMID?
    2) how do I know what I'll pay with one?
    3) how do I find a dealer that will honor one?

Thanks.
    1) email richard.ott@gm.com with last 4 digits or your SSN and date of birth
    2) you'll pay approx. 1% under invoice, about $3,000 off sticker
    3) you have to contact the dealership and ask them; some will, some won't
    What, in current H3 owner's opinions, are MUST HAVE options so i don't forget to order anything and regret it when i take delivery on my H3. I have till thursday to change anything.
  • shadowfox1shadowfox1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone use GMID at sewell in dallas? If so who did you talk with? I spoke to a guy today that had not heard of it and wanted to know who you talked to. Thanks in advance.
    See post #435. aaigohorns got his H3 at Sewell.

I do not believe we are allowed to post names of salesmen on this forum. When I contacted Sewell regarding a discount on an H3, I was told to ask for the "Hummer sales manager." That was before I knew about GMID.
  • vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    Looking to buy a nice off-road SUV that I can drive easily on sand. Looked at Land Rover LR3. But the complaints from current owners scared me off. Looking at H3. I fail to get the point of this engine and no navigation system. Am I the only onw who thinks navigation is necessary? Why not as an option. :confuse:
  • kryptoniteh3kryptoniteh3 Member Posts: 4
    I own an automatic and prefer them due to having to drive in traffic so I would say it's a personal choice. The speedometer goes to 110 I believe, but they really aren't built for speed so I haven't gone above 80 mph.

I can tell you at 80 they run nice and smooth and still have a lot of pedal left. The gas milage would make it cost prohibitive to drive around at that speed though....

Good Luck!!!