Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• grc4grc4 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info. Overall, it sounds like Mobil One is the best off the shelf oil. Also, it appears that many people wait till 7500 or 10,000 to change their oil instead of the standard 3500. Are you using Mobil One?
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Audi but only because it has two turbos. I've also found that 5W-30 can be hard to get. I won't use syn oil in our H3 because I see no need for the extra but very expensive protection. Syn oil is technically far superior but, in a practical sense, few car or truck engines actually need or benefit from the properties it provides. It makes some sense for commercial use or racing engines that are regularly run at their limits..or with turbos where a coked bearing can cost you $5K+. For daily drivers its better IMO to change the oil & filter more frequently than to spend $5/qt on high tech oil that gets just as dirty. I think using syn oil in most cars is like carrying a parachute on airliner.
  • heavydheavyd Member Posts: 6
    I've been reading all the GMID request and notice name, birthday and last 4 digit of SSN are needed in order to obtain the certificate. Is this legit? I am worry about theft identifity. Is it too much info to send someone?
  • jrhoade2jrhoade2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it is legit. And no it is not to much info to send. I sent him an email about 6 days ago. He got back to me in two days with an authorization number. With this number you can use GM's website and see the actual price you will pay. I am actually buying an H3 tomorrow with the GMID certificate that he sent me. I already had the dealer verify it.
    THanks. I just email him. By the way, what price are you getting? I get several quote back and the lowest is 37500 fully loaded with Luxury package/Automatic,/Chrome Appearance...anything but Off-road suspension package.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    in the 2007 Trail Blazer whould have over 300hp!

It will have VVT and DoD!

I don't understand why GM does not use this engine in more of its Stuff!

The H3 needs this engine really bad, I don't understand why GM is messing with the POS I-5 when they have a beautiful I-6 that is about to become more powerful and more economical, without any balancing issues due to an odd number of cylinders.

This truck is nice, but i don't see a Nav option. Most important, though is the weak engine. I can understand the I-5 if it were in an econobox, but in the H3, and in the Colorado and Canyon, GM NEEDS THAT I-6!

WAKE UP GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My guess is they just can't build anymore of these engines at this time and are using the year to buy more equipment so they can ramp up the speed of the plant building the engine. Somethings take time and there just isn't any shortcuts.
    "The H3 needs this engine really bad..."

Not so. At least not for its designed purpose as an offroadable 4x4. GM is selling far more H3s than predicted; they've already sold as many as predicted for the 1st full year. Adding a V8 will make it much heavier (the whole drivetrain has to be beefed up), more expensive to buy, and more expensive to drive; even for those who don't need or want an 8. The I-6 might be an improvement, but anything that adds bulk or weight to the front end is going to mess up a great design and style. GM hit a 4x4 home run in the H3 and I hope they resist the temptation make it all things to all people. GM dealers' lots are already full of those kinds of vehicles. Just my opinion, but I think the last thing the H3 needs is package creep.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I read somewhere that the I6 wouldn't fit in the engine compartment...too long.
    I read on another website that the I5 displacement is going to be upped to 3.7L and gain 20HP for 07. Thats 10% more power from 5% more displacement.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    as a real engine. It seems to be like a [non-permissible content removed] child of an I6 and I4, something euope is good at making. Its good that GM would make it more powerful, but for 30+K GM shoudl put a real engine in there. If the I6 is too long, how about revising the design a bit to fit it, and fire the guy who designed the thing inthe first place!

Na, if its selling good then at least put a more powerful engine in there. How about the 3.6L v6? 255 hp 252 tourque? That would help!
    I went to the dealership today with a pre-approved check on my hand, ready to buy a fully-loaded H3. I took the test drive for the first time and I was so disappointed. I like the look of the H3 alot and I can certainly customize the outside to my liking, but I felt the engine is extremely weak. The H3 sluggishly merge into the traffic as I enter the freeway. I have an old 98 4-runner and I swear it's stronger than this H3. During the entire test drive, I feel like hauling around a big heavy box. In addition, I felt trapped inside since the windows are so small. It is dark inside. Other than that, it looks awesome and unique. So I am now looking for a different car, probably a X5. I wish GM come out with a more powerful and bigger windows version of H3 soon.
  • grc4grc4 Member Posts: 15
    Well, I have decided on trying Mobil 7500 5W30 instead of Mobil 1. The reason is because of the warranty statement on the Mobil Products. Mobil products won't supersede the manufacturer recommended Oil change, so I agree with you about not wasting the extra money. Their new Extended Mobil 1 Oil which is good for 15,000 still has the disclaimer on the back on the bottle.

I know I might be missing the point with the mileage issue vs. overall protection of the engine, but if the blended version is good for 7500 miles, why should I waste the money. Thoughts?
  • humbleaghumbleag Member Posts: 9
    "I wish GM come out with a more powerful and bigger windows version of H3 soon."

Yeah, and add the inline 6 cylinder engine and a 2 wheel drive version.

They could call it a Trailblazer.

Duh.
  • hummerdadhummerdad Member Posts: 1
    Bought an H3 today. It was fun.... except my wife took it and won't give it back. Guess I'll let her have it and save my pennies again and get an '08 for myself, lol.

Paid $750 over invoice for it... although that's more than I've ever paid for a new car (this is my 14th new one) I was still patting myself on the back for putting this particular deal together. The other salesman there at the hummer store said he just bought his H3 two weeks ago and had to fork over $721 over invoice.

The owner lady of the dealership said we're automatically in some sorta Hummer Adventure Club thingy where the Humsters get together 4 times a year for an off road adventure.... Maybe I'll get to drive the dang thing after all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A more affordable price has kept the H3 popular despite the drop in overall sales of SUVs."

GM to Raise Output of Hummer H3 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • sage5sage5 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if anyone out there purchased a H3 from Ramp Dealership on Long Island in NY. Would like to know your experiece with them in all aspects. Thank You
  • wvjeffwvjeff Member Posts: 2
    my wife and i got a h3 noticed marks on dash dealer replaced dash then they were bringing it back and they noticed a rattle behind the dash they have had it for as long as we have week and a half they are bringing it back tomorrow i will let you know how it is but we love it it just feels so safe inside when driving it it s soo fun to drive i miss it.the dealer gave us an 05 cadelac cts to drive while they worked on our h3 :shades:
  • paulyahnigpaulyahnig Member Posts: 1
    I just got my new H3 last night. Had only 6 miles on it when I picked it up! It is the Superior Blue with Ebony Interior...... wrap around bush guard and the tube assist steps........it is awsome....
    As I am taking the delivery last night, a woman walks past my wife and says, "I can't believe people would still buy a Hummer". She laughed and told me later.....
    Over 100 miles so far since last night...and loving the H3!
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey Ya'll,

Just wanted to take a sec and post my experience since this forum helped me so much.
    First, I got in touch via this forum, with one of the GM guys and got the supplier discount number. The savings I got using this far outweighed any negotiating I did as the most dealers were willing to let this truck go for was 1000-1500 MSRP. When I look back at the numbers, it seems I saved very close to $2,000.00 using the Supplier discount vs. my own negotiating.
    After emailing all the dealers in Florida (only 8), with the specific vehicle I wanted coupled with dealer's response, attentiveness, inventory and attitude, I chose to buy from VERA CADILLAC in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
    The sales(lady) was very helpful and made the process very simple. Please email me for the saleslady's info if you want, I don't think I can post that.
    I got a new H3 in Black w/ Luxury Package, Chrome Appearance Package, Roof Crossbows, Side Steps, and Automatic Transmission for 32,770.00(including gap) plus tax and tag for an OTD of $35,007.00. MSRP of the vehicle was around $35,670.00 or somewhere close to that.
    Hope this information helps. Thanks again to all for posting your info, it was very helpful to me. ;)
    -Joe
  • wvjeffwvjeff Member Posts: 2
    dealer did great job fixing dash. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD TO HAVE THE HEATER CORE "TIGHTENED UP"OURS HAD A RATTLE IN IT
  • richard27richard27 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Orr Hummer in Shreveport all set to buy an H3
    based on its looks. I got in one and felt cramped and could
    hardly see out of it with the small narrow windows. I knew I
    would hate it and didn't even test drive it. I did drive
    a Hummer H2 SUT and instantly fell in love with it. I have
    3400 miles on it and have no complaints. Drive one before
    you buy and H3 and see what I am talking about. I did add
    a bed cover to the SUT which makes it extremally versatile.
    What a head turner this vehicle is and it is terrific for
    pulling my 21'10 Skeeter Bass Boat.
  • walcwalc Member Posts: 11
    I'm 6'0", 250 lbs, and I don't feel cramped, at all, in my H3.
    My other car is a 2004 Ford F250 Supercab, so it's not like I drive small vehicles.
    For me, the H2 is too big. I guess that's why Hummers come in 3 flavors ( H1, H2 and H3 ).
    :)
  • tbrown567tbrown567 Member Posts: 5
    That sounds great, but unforutnately not everybody has this special discount number. If you know how to gain access to it, please inform. I plan on buying an H3 ASAP.
    Thanks, Tracy Lee
  • marblezmarblez Member Posts: 32
    Go to message 376 it will tell you how to get the GMID. I got one from this person and used it with no problem at the dealer.
    Check with post 376 and follow the directions there to get the GMID certificate. Hope this helps, it helped me big time! ;)
  • medcomedco Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a H-3, I was told the gM off road lighting
    above the windshield was temporarily unavailable due to
    "whistling" when moving. any info? any alternatives?
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Finally went to see one of these little beasts in person last night and took a test drive in an H3.

I was pretty impressed with the vehicle. It drives and handles wonderfully. More power is always better, but it really does seem to have enough. The fit and finish, especially of the interior (Lux pkg) was terrific. Tight seams, excellent materials, very clean, simple, functional design with a great feel. The chassis is clearly a modern one. It feels stiff and tight- which adds to its comfortable ride and pretty good handling. I wish the Envoy/Trailblazer had this level of road feel and handling (or the H3 had its engine). Oh- I even love the big steel hard points and hooks on the front. Very cool, and very useful. It's hard to attach things to the front of most new SUVs as they're all just covered in plastic. Terrific turning radius too.

I like the fact that the Auto Transmission comes with stability control- an excellent safety feature (although it should for $1600). The luxury pkg isn't cheap, like $3200, and for that price there are a few things missing. Or, for a $37K vehicle, I'd like a few more options. I'd really like seat memories, for instance, and the temp control should be an electronic thermostat, not just a hot/cold dial. I'd also like (an option for) radio buttons on the steering wheel, a trip computer that calculates mileage, range, trip length and such, and integrated garage door openers (I think GM calls these home-link). I've grown accustomed to these bells and whistles, and I want'm! Also- you'd think that a good roof rack would be standard equipment. I don't mind paying a few bills for a roof rack which I need, but there are no rubber strips on the roof to protect the paint up there from getting scratched. So, this is a little minus in the utility column.

Sometimes the extra luxury touches get added in future model years.

Another little thing- a Yukon/Tahoe will get 20+mpg hwy and has a 300hp 5.3L DOD V8. I guess H3's aren't as aerodynamic... duh!

OK that's my $0.02

But- I can certainly see why you all buy this vehicle. GM did a nice job. Cool car- and if you want a lot of style, outstanding off road capability, and good road manners- you'd be tough to find competition in its price range. The Xterra comes to mind- but doesn't have the style. Even though the Xterra is supposedly an all new design, it still looks like the old one- which wasn't anything special.
    The difference between the H3 and other GM SUVs (except Hummers) is obvious, but surprisingly overlooked, even by pro reviewers. Its the superb offroad capability. The H3 is awesome offroad, and extremely comfortable on the pavement. We've driven ours in both environments and were blown away by its trail performance, thoroughly untrucklike handling, AND comfort. That offroad abilities are often ignored by prospective buyers points up how far the "SUV" definition has shifted away from its origins. Hopefully H3 will shift it back some.

I wholeheartedly agree that GM's unbelievable cheapness in omitting things that cost almost nothing; a trip computer function in the computer, a driver's grab handle, some storage space in the inside panels, etc. It aggavating and dumb. They could have so much to improve convenience issues with maybe $10 per unit! Its the GM "bean-counters rule!" culture. Someday they'll learn how many buyers they've lost by taking unit cost reduction (i.e., cheapness) to the ridiculous extreme.
  • ctrjkctrjk Member Posts: 5
    A good way to get a GMID discount certificate is to go to your GMAC financial office in your town/city and tell them you would like to have a GMID for purchasing a GM vehicle -- I did this and worked like a charm and you could do this in person. I am presently waiting for my H3 with the GMID of about $3200. Hope this helped
    Very pleasurable experience purchasing my H3 Hummer at Karl Hummer/Chev in New Cannan Ct. Their salesforce works with you and normally will accept suppliers/gmid certificates. Suggest you check them out. :)
  • bordeaux2bordeaux2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...my first post on here...just purchased my mellow yellow h3 2 weeks ago, already have close to 500 miles on it and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! After over a year deliberating on what my first truck would be that put out at least 16mpg,i can truly say that am so pleased that i waited. Had it narrowed down to the Durango & Commander both big, nice styling, practical family features (ie: reclining second row seats)but even had some sales reps told me on the side that resale and the mpg werent great even with the smaller engines. Some minivans are alos nice but I live upstate where we get alot of snow and sometimes even AWD doesnt cut it, besides not too many minivans feature AWD.
    So the H3 fit "just right"...My only gripe so far (knock on wood) is that it is tight when trying to use the power buttons on the side of the seats. But other than that I find it to be comfortable, safe feeling, i love the way it sits higher than even some larger suvs, the turning radius is great, it offers side impact bags which a lot of trucks still dont, it is even a smother/tighter ride than some sedans ive owned. Its true like some people have posted that GM has pinched with some features and the worse thing is that earlier on the luxury & chrome packages included the lighted vanity mirrors, universal link & the chrome crossrails, now they are offered as additional options at a higher price than origianl. Coming from a Lincoln Continental, on a luxury pakage i would have liked an average mpg in the computer or an adjustable headrest, bakup sensors or a couple of other bell & whistles, but remember we didnt all get this to be a luxury vehicle, which cant rumble through snow or trails. Neverthess it is a very good looking interior and the contrast stitching on the leather seats is sweet looking.
    But you know it has another intangible that i didnt anticipate that cant be measured...i've had caddy's & Contis, an older muscle car and still own a older convertible iroc, but let me tell you that i have never gotten so many stares and jaw droppings and comments in those vehicles as i've gotten them in my first 2 weeks of ownership of my yellow baby.
    I'll be very honest i am a pretty humble guy, but i have to admit that i love the gawking lol. I just turned 40 and without realizing it, i just bought someting that is making me feel like a little kid again with a new toy...you just cant put a price on that feeling! :)

ps to all who have asked on this board, the GMD discount is legit, i got my certificate from someone on this forum(for which i am very appreciative)...call around first and ask if they accept, here in NY/NJ, all the the dearlerships I called accepted it and the great thing is that its a set price...dont take their word for the price,ask for a copy of the invoice...good luck to all
  • sage5sage5 Member Posts: 3
    I was told that the lighting on the roof top was discontinued for now because of water getting in
  • walcwalc Member Posts: 11
    Just back from a 1400 mile Thanksgiving road trip to the Canadian border of Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.
    H3 was great to drive.
    Alleged lack of acceleration power is a myth. I never felt I needed more "oomph" and I was cruising at 75 mph on some big ( for the East Coast ) mountains.
    Performance on snow and ice was excellent.
    Averaged 400+ mile range per tank of gas. In 4400 miles, I haven't burned any oil.
    After 4400 miles, I continue to love this vehicle. :D
    Just Purchased on Saturday and it was a great experience at Karl Hummer in New Cannan Ct where they accepted the GMID and Supplier discounts. Does any one know about a H3 Hummer discount which Edmunds is advertising for $500 between Hartford and Boston = Can you supply information please. Great ride so far and very happy with the dealership :)
  • nycredheadnycredhead Member Posts: 1
    any particular dealership you would recommend in NY/NJ? I'm ready to buy an H3. Thanks!
    Try Karl Hummer for a great dealer and they accept most discounts = alot of Hummer dealers Do not especially if you want a sunroof where the supply is low. Glad I have mine great large sunroof. If you need a certificate there are ways to obtain for a savings of approx $3200 plus
    H3 Hummer should have a Temperature gage for the heat and a/c control. If any one is interested I have a great idea for a dash temperature display to enhance your H3 Hummer or even other vehicles that do not have temperature
    controls to view .
  • joshsmomjoshsmom Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bordeaux2! I did a search as the guys suggested for the GMID certificates and yours was one of the discussions that came up....Congrats to you on your H3....wishing you many
    happy driving days! Question for ya though.....as everybody else does I would like to find a way to make these vehicle more affordable too....Not being a GM employee how does one go about finding someone who will share their benefits of being an employee? Kinda like what
    happened to you.....any suggestions would be great. My husband would definitely be more willing to get the car if we can get a little financial discount.....since HE already has HIS new H2....gotta have the H3....any help or suggestions would be great.....Josh's Mom
  • bosshoss1bosshoss1 Member Posts: 18
    My wife and I both work at GM. We can get 4 GMID (GM IN DRIVEWAY) certificates a month. We can help if you are interested in a hummer. You need to make sure your dealer will take GMID first.
    Let me know if you work out a deal.
    Paul Francis
  • hunter12hunter12 Member Posts: 4
    im not femiler with GMID. but it sounds like we might need one . still working on the wife. but after she drives it soon im shure i.ll have my h3
    :D
  • hunter12hunter12 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks papaJohn
  • harleyman1harleyman1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in 20 inch wheels for the H3. Vogue has a wheel called Spark which is awesome but costs around $3000 for a set of wheels and tires. Any suggestions?
  • degrawdegraw Member Posts: 5
    Hi We are looking to purchase a H3 and I have been reading about the GMID Certificates that saves everyone so much money - can you tell me how you get one? :confuse:
  • degrawdegraw Member Posts: 5
    I live in Illinois and I am looking to purchase a H3 - I have been reading so much about tge GMID Certificates can you tell me how I can get one? :(
    You must get a GMID authorization number from a GM corporate employee; they're allowed two per month. It will give you what amounts to the GM Suppliers discount which seems to be about 10% off MSRP. Not all dealers will honor it. There have been some posters here previously who helped forum members with getting their GMID authorization. Do a search on GMID and you may find e-mail their contacts.

We've had our H3 for troublefree 3 months and love it.
  • gokhangulecgokhangulec Member Posts: 23
    Hey All,
    I will negotiate the lease term below:

MSRP: 35935$ (this includes the destination charge of 565$, I haven't seen this here so far. Is this ok?)

Selling price: 32342$ (10% down with GMID)

0 down, 18k and 24 months, therefore:
    Res: 70% and Rate: 5.9% ( I have seen somebody got 4.6%, can somebody confirm that?)

This makes: 440$ + tax per month

What about GMAC Acquisition fee (700$ to be counted in the expenses above?) and Security deposit (1 month of lease payment?)? Other expenses?

Thanks for your advises.
    GG
  • rkesnerrkesner Member Posts: 1
    Paul,

Currently driving a Demo H3 and plan on buying really soon. How soon can I get a GMID certificate?

Ray

RKesner@cox.net
    Check with post 376 and follow the directions there to get the GMID certificate. Hope this helps, it helped me big time! ;)
    Check with post 376 and follow the directions there to get the GMID certificate. Hope this helps, it helped me big time! He got it to me in 2 days ;)