Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The Cobalt could be a top compact seller if things keep going like this. :)
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    With all of the negative press about GM, they could really use a "home run". It looks like the Cobalt is just.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    The Coblalt SS still isnt out yet? I have yet to see one if they have are. Although i am in the middle of nowhere going to college in VT. Almost done though, one week. anyways. i think it is rediculous that its not out yet. i remember seeing commercials saying the ss was goin to be re;eased for production late fall of 04. i am looking forward to the ss but it is just takin way to long.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    SS Supercharged is out. Not very many though. My local dealer in the Detroit area just got their first one.

The SS sedan and coupe with the 2.4 Ecotec come out this summer.
  • gkxpgkxp Member Posts: 12
    Hello Ron, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!

1)The steering on the Cobalt is tighter than the steering was in my Cavalier and it does seem to get tighter on the highway. One other thing I noticed with the steering is that when turning the wheels at very slow speed (backing out of a parking space, parallel parking, etc.) unlike most other cars, you really don't hear anything from the power steering (no whining, sounds). The handling is very good on the Cobalt, but to counter that the ride is not harsh. It kind of reminds me of a perfect blend of the previous Honda Civic's handling (with no go-kart like rough ride though) and a Toyota Corolla's current smooth ride. You will have no trouble in emergency handling, there is no floatiness in the handling of the Cobalt, the handling is tight.

2)The room inside the Cobalt is amazing! It honestly feels to me as though this car should be in the mid-size class (I also think this car may bite a bit into the new Malibu sales as it is nearly as roomy in the front although the Malibu has more room in the rear seats). There is just the right amount of extra space all around me and I am 6'1" and 275Lbs. so I am used to being a little cramped in the compact class, but not with this Cobalt. Room is definitely one of its best features.

3)I am convinced that GM makes one of the best automatic transmissions not only in terms of shift quality (shifts are barely perceivable) but in terms of getting the maximum power out of an engine with an AT and this car is fast. I wouldn't drive my own Cobalt like this, but let's just say that the rental left several rubber burns at stoplights!). This car is fully capable of burnouts.

Another thing about that (tough driving) is after many redline runs in the Cobalt I rented, when I would come to a stop the car was as refined as though I had just driven it like a Grandma (the RPM Needle was steady and the engine was smooth). Very reminiscent to me of the engine/engineering quality of my friend's Acura Integra GSR and some of the full-throttle driving (racing) we did with his VTEC Engine!

I call my new Cobalt my "Mini-Max", because that is exactly what it feels like to me, a smaller version of my wife's Nissan Maxima SE. Well-Engineered, Elegant, Fast and Luxurious.

Greg.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Next year there will be a new Aveo, which looks like a mini version of the Cobalt.
    Ya, I thought that new Aveo looked very Cobaltish. I think it mostly has to do with the front look of the car.
    The HHR with the new 2.4 is priced under $19k. Maybe the SS Cobalt will be priced similar.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Where are you guys finding pics of this car?? If you can't provide a link due to other forums, at least tell me what to google and look for. I'm kind of curious how the new one looks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, not a good idea.

The deal is you can't send people to other message boards - posting what to google for in order to find another message board is, well, sending people, well you get the idea.

Maybe these pics are somewhere other than another message board?

If not, you're on your own.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729

It will be made in china, and may be sold in the USA, if its true this car is real hope for GM. It should be stiff competition for the corolla and it weakens the UAW.

I just wish those workers would see whats really hapenning here... they could all loose their jobs and it NOT GM's FAULT :mad:

We will see. Hey this seems odd, will this car take interest away from the Cobalt?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks exalteddragon1.

Reminder to all: You may not post links directly into other automotive message forums. See the Rules of the Road at the top of the page and/or the Membership Agreement on the left for the details.
    Still think GM needs new cars. American style and class, Body by Fisher. Cobalt/Aveo will increase the numbers of cars sold. Big deal. Another Japan and Korean econo car. In that class, the Civic is the one to buy. And a new Civic is on the way. Chevy and GM need something different to put to market. Head to head with Japan and Korea - I don't think so!
    BTW, the door armrests on the Cobalt will show wear and dirt quickly, IMHO.
    loren
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    If you think GM cannot go head to head with Japan and Korea then i want some of what your smoking :P
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Yesterday I stopped in at a local Chevy dealer and checked out a Cobalt sedan. Personally, I think that GM did a much, much better job with the vehicle than I would have expected. The doors shut with an extremely solid feel for a compact sedan. However, I immediately thought the same thing as you regarding the door armrests getting worn and soiled fairly quickly. My 1990 Nissan 300ZX has fabric-covered door armrests and center console lid. These are about the only interior components in the vehicle that look discolored or soiled after 15 years. They're not all that bad though, because I have cleaned them regularly with Armor-All Cleaner
    and Blue Magic Carpet Cleaner over the years. By the way, Blue Magic is an excellent product. Especially for automobile carpet cleaning purposes.

The Cobalt has some nice touches for a vehicle in its market segment. In fact, many aspects of the car are very well thought out. Another minor gripe about the interior is that the emergency/parking brake handle is located underneath the center armrest which has a storage compartment and corresponding lid. So in order to manipulate the emergency/parking brake, you have to first raise the center armrest. That's not exactly intelligent engineering, but several other things are pretty neat. Such as the plastic covers over the majority of the engine and battery. The engine oil dipstick and engine oil filler cap are isolated. You would have to be a complete, babbling idiot to end up saying that you can't seem to locate the engine oil dipstick or engine oil filler cap. The hood and trunk lid both use gas shock supports. It's nice that the hood doesn't use a prop rod. The trunk space is actually a lot better than you would think based upon the car's exterior appearance.
    XM Satellite Radio sounds really good with the upgraded Pioneer stereo system.
    Cabin is nice and quiet, and the vehicle has pretty good acceleration.

Overall, I think that GM could have a winner with the Cobalt if the introductory year gremlins aren't so severe that they scare off potential second year buyers. After having perused the vehicle and taken it for a test drive I have to give GM a lot of credit for their efforts pertaining to the Cobalt's design, engineering and manufacturing.

Ron M.
  • casandranowcasandranow Member Posts: 14
    I currently have a Chevy S-10 truck that's my primary vehicle, but it's not 4x4, so it's pretty much undriveable up here in the PA winter's. I'm looking for something that's relatively decent in the winter weather, but I can't afford a SUV or what I would ideally like to replace my S-10 with, the new Colorado. I've seen the Cobalts, heard nothing but good reviews and I'm definitely considering looking into one now. My only hold back is the afformentioned winter driving. Anyone know if it'd be passable here during the winter months? I'm not talking about blizzard conditions, just something that can get me back and forth to class and work without fishtailing all over the highway.

Ideally I'd like to get the coupe Cobalt, but generally coupe's are worse in the snow.
    Subaru Impreza has all wheel drive. I assume that to be the best in snow and on the dry for keeping wheels in motion.
    Loren
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    The Cobalt would do real well in snow conditions with it's optional traction control.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm just curious what color the gauges are at night? What about the white-faced gauges, do they light up in the same color or something else? Are all the power window/lock switches lit up like in the Malibu?
  • casandranowcasandranow Member Posts: 14
    I was actually wondering about that. The traction control feature did catch my eye when I was researching it and I thought maybe with the combined front wheel drive instead of rear wheel drive that it might be decent enough to get me around.

As it is now, I tend to have to bum my mother's Jeep from her on any kind of days when there's even an inch of snow on the ground, my little S-10 is just THAT bad in the slippery conditions. But I love the Chevy brand and I really wanted to try and stick with it.

As for the Subaru, way too pricey for my budget right now. I actually liked the look of the Baja's because of the crossover truck/SUV look, but again, way too pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • funcrusherfuncrusher Member Posts: 1
    This is truly a sweet car, and I am very pleased that it is made by chevy. I had been shopping for cars over the past week, going from dealership to dealership in hopes of finding another compact car. I have hade a civic, an integra, and a prelude, so I was looking for something besides a honda or acura. There is no question these cars have done right by me in the past, but I would have preferred an american car. The only problem was finding one that I actually like, which just wasn't happening, until now. To make a long story short, I went and test drove the new cobalt and was amazed. The first thing I noticed was the Recaro seats as I slid into the drivers seat. Can anyone debate the quality of Recaro seating? I dare you. The car is about as powerful as the old iroc-z's, but doesn't sound as good. I was willing to overlook this issue since everything else came together so nicely. The stereo is great for a stock system, and has mp3 capabilities. Out on the freeway I went, taking full advantage of the short shifter. I couldn't believe I was sitting in a chevy! I bought the car and haven't stopped having fun. Anyone who knocks this car without driving it is a fool.
    Hopefully Chev will attract lots more people like you that had Japanese and European cars because GM had nothing to offer. The only SS I have seen was at my dealer. Hopefully I will see more of them soon.
    Buy a Cobalt SS instead of a Mustang V6? Why?
    Once the bugs are flattened, the Stang looks like a better $$$ value. Looks, V6, and RWD. And a farily good resale value.
    Loren
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    I personally would go for the Stang, but don't gloss over that cars limitations. Read drive is not for everyone especially when you're talking about a live rear axle. Some people may prefer the smaller dimensions, front wheel drive and non-retro styling of the Cobalt.

Actually, a better question is why wouldn't you go for the Scion Tc with supercharger.
    The Cobalt and Mustang are two different types of cars. The Mustang is more of flash back at the past, the Cobalt is push to the future.

The Mustang is hot now, as was the PT Cruiser, Neon, and VW Bug, all of which are on a big decline. Mustang sales will cool off within a year.

Because of the high demand for new model Mustangs, and the over-manufacturing to fit demand, resale value will not be so good when time to sell or trade in.

The Mustang uses an old, unsophisticated Explorer V6 in the base model to power it and will not even come close to the performance of the supercharged 4-cylinder Cobalt coupe.

I have heard from Mustang owners that the new interiors are of poor quality materials. As far as the styling goes they did make a good effort at copying a 1960's model Mustang, but looks are in the eyes of the beholder and I think it looks ok, not great, not being a Mustang fan.

I will take the conservative style, fit, finish, mileage, and performance of a new Cobalt anyday.
    Someone posted this on another thread here on Edmund's
    ..passenger cars through April:

1- Toyota Camry: ----------------------- 138,939 up 6%
    2- Toyota Corolla: ----------------------- 115,994 up 13%
    3- Honda Accord: ----------------------- 112,606 down 2%
    4- Honda Civic: ---------------------------- 90,812 down 10%
    5- Chevy Impala: -------------------------- 87,770 down 7%
    6- Nissan Altima: ------------------------- 84,337 up 7%
    7- Ford Taurus: ---------------------------- 72,377 down 25%
    8- Ford Focus: ----------------------------- 64,916 down 2%
    9- Chevy Malibu: --------------------------- 62,604 up 63%
    10- Ford Mustang: ------------------------- 61,820 up 19%

11- Chevy Cobalt: -------------------------- 51,888
    12- Chrysler 300: --------------------------- 49,089 up 235%
    13- Chrysler PT Cruiser: ----------------- 41,509 down 4%
    14- Dodge Neon: ---------------------------- 40,871 down
    15- Chevy Classic: -------------------------- 40,115 up 5%
    16- Hyundai Sonata: ------------------------ 38,931 up 27%
    17- Nissan Sentra: -------------------------- 38,423 down 0.5%
    18- Dodge Stratus: -------------------------- 38,342 up 7%
    19- Hyundai Elantra: ------------------------ 38,106 up 13%
    20- Toyota Prius: ----------------------------- 34,225 up 151%

Well indeed some do like the Cobalt. For those suffering through heavy snow country may want FWD. Looks like an American alternative car to the Civic, with more HP. Some are looking for such. For those looking for updated styling in a Civic, there appears to be a new one coming out this year. Last year to get the PT before they make the nose job on her. Sure, it make the front larger under the hood to work on the car, but it may lose some of its charm. The PT is truly unique. The gas mileage is not too good though. The GM gas do a pretty good job at getting the most out of a gallon of gas. The Cobalt is not going to get 44MPG like the Civic HX, but it does have more power. Cobalt will win every time in the HP for the buck against Civic. In the coupe model, I still don't understand the SS value in that there is so much out there in that price range. Looked up the stats on the Mustang V6 and the 0-60 is 6.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.3 gas mileage is 28 MPG --- Cobalt SS is 0-60 6.4, 1/4 mile 14.9 gas mileage is 29 MPG freeway. The HP and Torque is actually less, but Cobalt is lighter. Both are coupes, and are not meant to be family sedans. Historic resale goes in favor of the Ford. The Mustang for 2005 looks perhaps too retro, and it thus you tend to compare it directly to the '68 which has the advantage of chrome bumps that did not have to stick out like a fat lower lip. Other than that, the car looks pretty rich. I kinda like the pre-'99 look though. Looks like Mustang is getting fatter. The Cobalt is lighter and looks more agile. Most agile goes to the Celica, which can be driven like a bat out of hell on corners. As for truly new designs, the hat goes off to the designer of the New Beetle for a retro, yet truly modern design, the PT for a new class of cool car, the CTS for its edgy really new look, and the Chrysler 300 for going way out on a limb to change Americas sedan. Cobalt is good evolution of the Civic cloning. More HP, and it has a USA brand on her. I will always recall what Lee said, " You lead, follow, or get out of the way! " GM has the Corvette, CTS(+STS) and the Hummer for those trying to look macho. What other new car is there at GM, did I miss anything class leader and new? As far as a deal on a car, I give you that the Cobalt minus say $2,500 is a pretty fair deal dollar wise. You can always buy the cars used in a couple of years and really save. A guess at price on the G6 or a Cobalt in three years time is somewhere close to 50% off. With many more miles ahead for the used cars, the value is outstanding indeed. You save a heck of a lot over buying a Japan make used.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Mazda3: ------------------------- 31,772 up 32.0%

Meade
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is the m in mdaffron short for Mazda?
    Chevy has a lot of momentum with the Cobalt and the Malibu. Impala sales should pick up with the new model coming in September also. Cobalt should sell well, it's getting great reviews for the most part and has top crash scores.
    Can I assume more of the Malibu sales are fleet sales compared to the Cobalt? I do see some Malibu Maxx cars around my area, so someone is willing to fork out the cash. They seem overpriced to me, but what he heck, maybe $3K off is enough. I think I saw one that was something like $26K --wow! Anyway, the Cobalt can be had for more reasonable prices if you don't want everything and the kitchen sink on them. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I am very impressed that so many here are defending the little car. Ah yes, some loyalty to the Cobalt, and perhaps to Chevy and GM too. And I take it so far they are happy with their purchase. And in the end, that is all that matters. Car debates over style, country of origin, power, fuel mileage, image, and the like are meaningless in comparison to one being satisfied with what one has purchased. Some people will even put up with poorer service and higher cost of repairs, or more trips to get warranty work done, if they are in love with a car. It is a magic spell indeed. Hope the Cobalt is both liked by the new owners, and lives up to the promise of a better GM product. The good crash scores can't be a bad thing. Good luck, and have fun with the new cars. Thanks for debating the merits of the Cobalt vs. other cars without punching me in the nose. Hope I did not get out of line while asking why not this or that other car in your forum. Seems like some good people here. And like I said, must be a good sign when people defend their car vs another brand. Good day! - Loren
    Why no, it's my first initial. But thanks for playing.

M(eade) Daffron
    Some Malibus are fleet no doubt, but the Chevy Classic fills a lot of the space so the Malibu is a lot more retail than the old one. I see many sedans and Maxxes on the road now, I doubt any of the Maxxes are rental/fleets.
    The Malibu has been a top seller for years, even the previous model. Unfortunately GM along with a couple others, started using those big rebates to attract buyers. So if what you say the prices for a Maxx are too high, maybe your right. The rebate brings the car down to were it should have been, and any additional money off the list price through buyer negotiating is a bonus.

One other hot car in the sub-compact catagory is the Chevy Aveo. I have read and seen many good things about this car, and have driven it as well. This car in my opinion is the bargain of the decade. It is also the top selling compact in its class.

Resale value is mostly determined by rebates, incentatives, rental fleets, and realiabililty. Rental fleets are the worse culprit because they litterly flood the market with used cars at bargain prices.

I would really doubt a vehicle would lose 50% of its value in three-years, unless it was a car (like a Yugo) with known problems.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...regularly loses over 50% of its value in 3 years, under average usage conditions.

There's a 2005 model for sale at a local car lot with 20K miles on it, advertised for just under $14,000. Looks sharp too, I've seen it. Sticker price would have been around $21,000.
    Well I suppose you very well could get 50% off in three-years, but keep in mind that not all these advertised sales are as good as they sound.

I wouldn't want to buy a used rental car, but cars coming off leases generally are in good shape and have a warranty left. Car Max used cars are known to be pretty good, or otherwise they wouldn't sell them.
    It is very easy to lose 50% or more in three years on US cars. Some do near that in a couple years. The Cobalt may do better. Who knows - no one knows. As for Aveo/Daewo cars, they look like toy cars to me, but to each his own. The Cobalt looks like a lot more car. In the $13K to $15K range, Cobalt looks like something to consider. Hope that the resale is better than some of these Buicks and Pontiacs I see in the paper for sale for $9995 or $10,995 as rental or lease returns. That has to hurt! Best not to get an overly loaded or pricey model of Cobalt, if you plan on selling in two to three years. If it is a keeper for seven to ten years, what the heck, resale is not as big a deal. As for the talk about the Malibu, I can not shake out of my mind, the image of a beautiful '68 Malibu when I hear the name. Then the harsh reality of an econo car sets in. How sad. GM can and hopefully will do better. Let's get some of the ol' Body by Fisher design thing going again!!! Saw a few sharp looking Camaros today.... oh darn, that ended in 2002. The Corvette or CTS is pretty cool, but I am but a poor boy. The Cobalt is more in my price league, unless buying used.... yeah, at half price!
    Loren
    The dealer is offering them at half off! What do you think the customer gets on a trade-in on these cars? It must hurt - hurt bad. You save another $2,ooo or more buying as a private sale car. The wholesale must REALLY be low on some of these cars. Oh well. -Loren
    It would almost make more sense to never buy new, if you no the past history of the used car you were buying.

The Aveo my be a toy car to you, but its not any more so than the one's from Kia, Hyundia, Suzuki, Ford, Toyota, to name a few. It's actually better built then most.

I can afford a great driving luxorious car like a Buick LaCrosse, Grand Prix, or even a CTS, which I have considered, but I am just to conservative to spend that kind of money. I never look at resale when purchasing a car because I buy what I like, and keep them a long time.

My 1992 S10 pickup is basically worth nothing, but gets very good mileage, is reliable, and is paid for. The Cobalt would be a great main driver, but I would have to get a loaded one. I think I could get out of a dealer on a $19,500 Cobalt for somewhere between $15-16,000, after nagotiation, rebate, GM card earnings, tax & title.
    If you have the money to buy a larger, safer car, why on earth would you buy a skateboard? You are now driving an S-10 truck? My word, get something safer than that. The Daewoo/Aveo looks too tall for the width, and well, I won't say it again..... For driving in town to the grocery store, it may be just the ticket. Good golf cart. If you have the money get the CTS and have fun! Life is too short to only save money. Maybe a used CTS? Or like you said, buy a new Cobalt. Cobalt I can see people buying for everyday use. The Aveo for the run-around-town car. Looks like a lot of Korean cars, like the Hyundai, are pretty cheap in larger sizes. I was impressed when I looked at Hyundai, as to how much better quality they are today. Some of their engines do need improving / better gas mileage. Anyway, back on subject, the Cobalt is not bad I guess, and you are not trading cars every three years. I was a fool doing that all too many a time when younger. I could have saved a lot of money by not buying as many cars, buying better cars, and getting more for the owned car. Oh well, live and learn. And now it is only cash, and no credit, so that saves too. Ya know, the S-10 as a second car to scoot around town in, or go to the lumber store, the more I think about it, is not so bad. I just can see why people that have money buy less car in some cases than is needed for safety and comfort. If they are happy though, in the end that is all that matters I guess.
    Loren
    The S10 is a pretty solid vehicle. I have been in four accidents with it, none my fault, three of them with people running in to me, all were miner damage.

I had been thinking of going mid-size or bigger, but the Cobalt is a class best in crash testing, and is lighter than the Malibu making for better mileage.

How about using my saved money from a Cobalt purchase on a motorcycle?
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    If I had been run into three times already by motor vehicles, I don't think I'd like to place my chances for a long life riding a motorcycle!
  • ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    Losing 50% in three years seems like a lot, but that's actually generous for some cars. I purchased a used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am in 2003 for about $10k from the local Pontiac dealer. Two years old (~24,000 miles) and about 50% off the original price. I thought it was a good deal, but now I'm trying to sell it and Carmax offered me about $4,500 for it. So this car is four years old, has 61,000 miles, and is worth about 25% of its original value. My girlfriend's '98 Corolla is worth about the same. That is very very poor for the consumer of American vehicles.

I believe the comment stated above about fleet sales saturating the market is very true. I think the Cobalt will have moderately better resale due to the better quality of that car, but with all the rental Cobalt's I've seen around I doubt it will be significantly higher. I think the only hope for decent Cobalt resale values, if that's important to you, is with the SS. Little to no fleet sales, less volume produced, and it's a high end / specialized car.
    Yes, GM resale is a problem. Another part of the puzzle in solving GM woes is this lack of value of its cars down the road. The gentleman selling the Grand Am may get closer to $6,200+ for the car, if he sells it himself, and the $4,500 may be low for a trade-in value. Never tried to have a sales lot buy my car, but I assume it is pretty low on the wholesale side of things. In four months time, the car will be 5 model years old, so the price is dropping again soon. Actually, the real disaster is in buying those luxury cars new. I imagine these days, the loss to be around $12k or more the first drive off the lot. I figure if you buy a used car, and get say three years out of it, for a difference of $5K, that ain't too bad at $1,666 per year. I have a '98 Corolla, which was a bit over $15k out the door, so in 8 years time, if I sold it for $5,000, it wold cost just over $1,250 per year. Being a Toyota, I could drive it another 8 years, but I may trade it, and/or my Miata this year anyway. As for trade-in, I guess it is worth around $3,500 with 81K miles on it. The resale values were even higher on Toys back in the 90's. Seems like you lost under $1k a year. I think buying a used car at 50% or even as low as 33% the original value makes sense if the car is good and straight. Nearly all modern cars last a good 100 to 150K without the engine and tranny falling out. One problems though, in Calif. is the $85 an hour labor cost on repairs, though I found a mechanic that does basic repairs for $45 an hour. I bought a Miata'96 with 36k miles on her in 2002 for a third of a new one, and added roll bar and such, so it tips in over $8,000 cost, but I am sure it is still worth $4k to $5k retail, so after driving it for three years, it should not cost me more than $1,333 per year, plus a few little repairs. Heck, considering if I bought it new, the first year depreciation would have been much more than my three years, and if I bought a new GM I would have lost so much money, I could actually, after driving the Miata for three years, give it away, and would have cost me less. It makes no sense to buy a $21K new if it is worth $10K in two to three years.
    Loren
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you own a Chevy Cobalt SS, a magazine reporter would like to hear from you. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and a few brief thoughts about the car by Tuesday, May 24, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drivehard1drivehard1 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know more about the SS coupe and Sedan coming out soon, when will it be out, anyone have pics, will it look like the SS supercharged, This may be a vehicle that i would be interested in, GM may finally be starting to turn things around.... Did I just type that?
    More info here -

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2006&regionID=1&divisionID=3-

I believe production starts in June. They have 17" wheels, 2.4 Ecotec and sport suspension. I do not think the exterior will look like the SS Supercharged.
    SS sedan and coupe states -

'Fascias, sport, front and rear, body-color, includes front halogen fog lamps"

SS Supercharged states -

"Fascias, sport, front and rear, body-color, includes front halogen fog lamps and extensions"

Appears that they are the same, except the SS sedan and coupe do not get the extensions.
    Why would you want or need 17" wheels on a Cobalt?
    Does this mean low profile tires, bent rims, added weight, added cost, and blown tires.
    Ah the new fads are a big money maker. I am sure a tuned suspension and 15" wheels would be just fine. OK, to entertain those needed to fill the tire well look, maybe the 16". Unsprung weight is not a good thing. The car is not going to go faster, just run harder on the pavement. Just put some good Toyo Ts1 tires in 15" wheel size and ya got it! Or if handling is the game, double wishbone suspension all around and RWD. OK, too expensive, just go double wish bone on rear like the Celica.
    Loren
  • ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    You obviously like cars, I just think you're a little misguided sometimes. Why would anyone want 17" wheels on a Cobalt? Here's a few reasons...

1) Looks - which is purely subjective. 22" tires would be silly, as would 13" tires. I think 16 - 18" look good on most cars. Chevy seems to agree. The SS Supercharged has 18" tires. It gives the car a visual nudge in the direction of speed and style.

To your comment about filling in the wheel well of the vehicle - I doubt the outside diameter of the tire changes much when OEMs offer different sized tires for the same car. The wheel gets larger, the sidewall of the tire shrinks, and the outside diameter of the wheel stays the same. The wheel well gap remains unless the suspension is also modified. [EDIT] - I just checked the Cobalt website. The current options are 195/60-15 (24.2" dia.), 205/55-16 (24.9" dia.), and 215/45-18 (25.6" dia.). So I guess I lied about the overall diameter changing, though it still doesn't change much.

2) Performance - As the sidewall shrinks in size (as noted above) it also gains rigidity. This greatly improves the handling of the car. Instead of the tire rolling over on its side during hard cornering, the tread retains more contact with the road, which increases the tire's grip and reduces the body roll felt inside the car. It also provides better turn in response.

As you stated correctly, unsprung weight is bad. However, are 16" - 18" alloy wheels going to be heavier than 15" steel wheels? I doubt there's a significant difference.

I'm guessing your Miata tires are in the neighborhood of 195/50-15 (about 22.5" dia.). If you upgraded to 205/35-17 I think you would notice a big difference in the handling of your car, and the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo would change by less than 1/32".
    By your username, I take it you're a Mazda fan.

Well, I am too. I just purchased my sixth new Mazda since 1991.

It's a Mazda3S.

It has 17-inch wheels.

Also, from Edmunds' review on the 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata ...

"... the Mazdaspeed Miata offers several other tastefully integrated modifications. It has a lower sport-tuned suspension with gas-filled Bilstein shocks and 17-inch performance tires."

My 3 handles MUCH better than the 15-inch-wheel equipped 2000 Protege that it replaced.

:shades:

Meade