Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I actually see the older ION's on the road more often than the newer ones (ie 05's and 06's). Anyway, a well equipped ION3 is actually cheaper than a comparable Cobalt, Civic, Corolla etc. The only thing that is a negative for me, is the side impact ratings. Where the Cobalt, Corolla, and new Civic did pretty good in the side impact ratings , the ION did poor. Other than that the car is pretty decent.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The Ion actually did better in the NHTSA side impact test than the Cobalt, until Cobalt redesigned the interior panel.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Was it the interior design, or the edition of the side air bags. I saw on Dateline NBC that both the Corolla and Cobalt models that didn't have the optional side air bags performed poorly, but those that did performed acceptable, which was the top rating for the compact car class.
    There are two different US testing organizations - the Insurance Institute, funded by insurance companies, at www.iihs.org, and the US government agency, the National Highway and Traffic Safety bureau, which publishes tests at www.safercar.gov .

If you read the actual test for the 2005 at safercar.gov, it states that the side crash results changed during the model year cycle due to a change in the door padding.

I didn't see Dateline, but they were probably talking about the more severe iihs.org side crash test (since neither car did poorly in the government test). In the iihs tests, no car (regardless of brand or model) passes without side curtain airbags. (Side "curtain" airbags - there were a couple of models that barely passed with ONLY side curtain air bags, but NO cars passed with side TORSO - the more common type until recently - airbags. Combo side airbags seem to work fine, you just can't do well without the head protection, since the IIHS test hits a pickup size sled into the side of the test vehicle, and in some tests the dummy head actually makes contact with the intruding pickup.)
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Cobalt. No one has posted since Dec.16th. I thought by now someone would have something to say!!!!!!!
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Anyone seen Cobalt sales figures YTD? Just wondering.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    As of 11/05 the Cobalt had sold 195,839. Sure it'll hit the 200k mark. Not too shabby.
    Though a different car, it's down a bit from where the Cavaliar left off. It probably will be one of the top 10 sellers though.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,279
    They were selling Cavs for about $9,995 at the end. At that price, you could move anything. They sell a few less cars but for a respectable price, they're better off.
  • mtorres90814mtorres90814 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with the brake light coming on has yours been fixed? If so what did they do to fix it.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I was glad to see a new article in the Inside Line section about inteiors. I almost cringe when I here people complain about the hard plastic in their cars. To my knowledge, the plainer the plastic the better. The softer plastic has toxic chemicals in it that give of harmful poision gases. Instead of people demanding safe plastics in their cars,many people are actually crying out for the most dangerous types of plastic. It was good that GM was not mentioned as a company that had the higher levels of toxicity from their interiors.
    I would much rather breath cleaner air in my car than have soft touch surfaces that are not as safe. Toxic gases are really bad for you, and I would like car makers to do a better job of selling people on plainer but safer surfaces in their cars.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    There is a selector switch for outside air / recirculate air. Just use outside air, or open a window on your new car. I have always done this, and I assume many-many more people realized that new car smell as something bad, and opened up their vents, or windows. Not rocket science to understand.

The hard plastic may or not work out OK. I really don't know. My PT seems to have hard plastic on the dash, and so far no squeaks. I guess if it doesn't squeak, looks OK and lasts over the years, harder plastic is something to live with. The Cobalt hard plastic looks cheap to me, but if other like, so be it.

Loren
    Plastic is plastic. No such thing as cheap when it comes to plastic. Plastics have been around for decades in cars and now within the last 10-15 years, suddenly, auto writers for some reason like to include this in their review even though it has no merit.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Plastic is plastic. No such thing as cheap when it comes to plastic. Plastics have been around for decades in cars and now within the last 10-15 years, suddenly, auto writers for some reason like to include this in their review even though it has no merit.

No, plastic is not just plastic. There are nylons, PBTs, filled and unfilled, etc. Glass reinforced plastics have very different mechanical properties than unfilled plastics. Some plastics have an elongation at break value of only 5% while others have up to 150% and even greater in certain cases. The amount of strain that certain types of plastics can withstand is dramatically different than others. You can take an interior part and mold it in two different types of plastics using identical design geometry and the strain values will be identical when the parts are constrained the same and deflected/loaded identically. However, even though the strain values are the same, one will break before the other due to the plastic's flexural modulus, flexural strength and elongation at break properties. So no, plastic is NOT just plastic. You may think so from a cosmetic appearance standpoint at some distance from the eye, but when it comes to strength and performance there can be tremendous differences in plastics.

Ron M.
    I meant from an appearance stand point. My 1992 Chevy truck has excellent plastic material that has just started to fade by the top of the door panel but other than that it is just plastic. I could re-dye it if I was picky but the truck is over 10-years-old and it isn't a big deal.
    Nope, there are cheap looking plastic parts, and then there are better looking and feeling plastic parts. I guess if you are thinking GM, parts is parts. But then again, how are they going these days?

My guess is that some day GM won't be selling econo cars at all; at least in the USA. China will be the market for those cars. In USA Korea and Japan makes will dominate the econo scene, with possibly a couple of Fords thrown in there. GM will be Cadillac, GMC trucks, Corvette, and perhaps a couple of special looking cars, as does Chrysler.

Loren
  • gvsunursegvsunurse Member Posts: 28
    More problems seem to be surfacing...wondering if anyone else has heard of or is having these problems...when I have the fan on level 1 when I first start the car, it makes a terrible noise...but goes away when I turn the fan up...usually goes away on 1 after the car warms up. Also having huge problems with getting the key out of the ignition...sometimes takes quite awhile to get it out...called the dealership yesterday and turning the steering wheel didn't work, nor did restarting the car and taking it out of park and back into park (I tried that one on my own every other time and it never works). Unfortunately, I live an hour away from my preferred dealership when I'm at school so it's a huge inconvenience to take it in...so much for buying a new car to avoid dealing with car problems throughout the rest of school...also wondering if anyone has suggestions on GM/Chevrolet dealerships in Grand Rapids, MI area? :mad:
    Just out of curiosity, please look at the label on the door jamb and post the "build date" of your car. I am wondering if it is one of the "early" '05's.
    GM or any other American manufacture will never go away from economy cars when they have some of the best on the market; additionally, GM will not be dropping brands to satisfy someone who thinks otherwise. GM will rebound from the current downfall and prosper in the near future.

It will take people like yourself to change the way they are thinking and get over their perception of quality way of thinking. GM has had comparible quality for many years but the problem is there is more competition to chose from and people are killing the jobs and American auto industry by buying foreign vehicles. All this way of thinking because of things that happened decades ago. Consumers seem to like the status symbol of a foreign car for some reason and like to use the quality issue as their reason because they really don't have a clue.
    I'm sitting here at work...but thinking it says April 2005...I bought it in June of 2005. I made an appointment today with the dealership in a couple weeks...I live an hour away from them...thank goodness I bought the car from a great dealership that takes good care of me...we'll see what they say. This will be the 3rd or 4th time the car has gone in since June...yuck!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Chevy Impala, which experienced a 7.6 percent increase in sales in January thanks to a well-received redesign, was one of the country's top 20 best-selling models. Other GM models on January's top 20 list were Cobalt (sales increase of 140.5 percent), Malibu (18.1 percent decrease), TrailBlazer SUV (24 percent increase) and Silverado pickup (6.6 decrease).

look
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06047/655979.stm
  • jleslie48jleslie48 Member Posts: 2
    That manual that came with it didn't seem to have one, is there one I can see online??
    GM will upgrade the Cobalt SS with the new 260 hp superchanged 2.0L DIRECT INJECTION 4cyl, like the one from the solstice?

On Edmunds there is an article that says it could be comming to the G4.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    If you go to www.mygmlink.com and register there (free), you will have access to full maintenace schedule
    Usually maintenance requirements manuals are separate from the operating manuals, but stuffed in the same case. Did you buy it new or used? If new, just look in the other parts of the manual slipcover/case. If used, sign up at GM owner's link as the other poster recommended.

BTW, has Chevy moved to linking minor and major services to the oil life indicator, or is it still fixed mileage for services and variable mileage for oil changes?
  • ub1ub1 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 2005 cobalt and had the same problem. had to take it in 3 times and finally the thermo control unit seemed to fix the problem. are you having a proble with the car pulling either left or right and with the brakes?
    when i come to a stop the wheel pulls to the left and the
    steering wheel (not the actual wheel) but it turns/falls to the left...i've had to put all new tires on for tire cupping also...
    why does it matter for the timeframe...i also bought this
    vehicle in 2005 and have had it in almost every month...
    but i've recently had to change dealership because the one that i thought was good ended up having to call gm..i'm trying a new dealer, but this has been a nightmare. if they can't fix the pulling and the problem i am having with the brakes, i'm taking it back and requesting my money be refunded.
    I have not had any problems with it pulling that I've noticed...alignment was off from day one - but so slight, nothing to take it in for - actually, I shouldn't say alignment is really off, steering wheel is usually a bit to the right. I'll try to pay more attention when stopping, but I'm sure I'd have noticed by now if it's pulling.
    The timeframe matters because it's quite common for first year cars to have problems - especially in early production - mine is more of a late model 05 - they started 06's in the summer I think...so that's why the person asked.
    all this talk about problems. It seems no one cares about GM's hot new engine, the direct inject s/c 4cyl.

Well, if they put it in the cobalt i bet aceleration will improve by .5 sec at least :)
    Is that the 260 hp engine that will supposedly be offered in the HHR and Solstice?
    Most people who buy Cobalts aren't big car fans. They want transportation. So the majority of owners, without problems, just never care and never post. People who own ANY brand and have problems post and complain; check out the Civic 2006 board for a high proportion of complaints.

Chevy hasn't done a great job of tapping into the enthusiast market. The Cobalt has a great engine, a 2.2 liter engine with a LOT more horsepower and torque than its rivals. This shows up on conservative tests, like the 0-60 times on Consumer Reports for the sedan with an automatic - it is about 2 seconds quicker than the Duratec (not Zetec or 8 valve) Focus. With a Getrag 5 speed (yes, they come with Getrags), they are even quicker.

Yet, according to Consumer Reports and Car and Driver, the Cobalt delivers some of the best "real world" mileage out there. No, its EPA tests are as high as some of its competition, but in real world scenarios there is reasonable evidence it does better.

If you are a "bread and butter" driver, like a young family or single mom, you can get the Cobalt with side curtain airbags that make it, in 2005, one of only 3 small cars that pass the brutal www.IIHS.org side impact tests ("new" VW Jetta, Toyota with airbags, Cobalt), and in 2006, one of only 4 (the upgraded - and only the upgraded - 2006 Civic passes; the 2005 wasn't tested on Honda's request).

If you like innovations - the Cobalt has day time running lamps (a great safety feature) PLUS "auto on" for full headlamps PLUS an oil life calculator (not a mere reminder, but a computer function that takes into account driving habits and not just mileage).

If you are really, really looking for the most bang for the buck, EVERY Cobalt comes with air conditioning so if you buy an "ad special" you won't die in July, unlike some competitors.

I wish Chevy had "upsized" the Cobalt a little, more the size of the Ion (which has a much larger trunk and more back seat room) and I wish they had kept ABS on all trim lines (but at least they have it on the second level trim line and up). Actually, recent studies have indicated that side curtain airbags decrease side crash fatalities by about 50%, but ABS doesn't seem to affect the stats much (possibly due to incorrect application of ABS by drivers). For next year, I am hoping to see side curtain airbags standard on the Cobalt...I'd take them before ABS, even though I've seen enough "panic" skid marks on the highway to worry about panic stops.

I WAS surprised that there have been so many complaints of defects on this board, and that Consumer Reports has also shown problems. Not as bad as the first year of the Focus, but I had hoped Chevy had learned its lesson about new car roll-outs. Apparently not.
    hi..i have a 2005 cobalt that i bought in april of 05 and i am also having major problems and am ready to take the car back. did you experience any pulling or problems with the brakes..when i come to a stop the car pulls to the right or left and the wheel falls/turns the same way...
    What major problems are you having?
    well...i've had all new tires put on for tire cupping, front struts replaced. when i brake, the car pulls to the left and right and the steering wheel falls/turns. i don't know how to explain it. the car pulls to the left and it's not the alignment. i've just had a 4 wheel alignment. the rime was bent and it was discovered that one of the new tires was bad/chord. and ever since then the brake pedal intermitently is high/hard...that is my best description. i am fighting with gm right now because i don't want the car. i don't feel safe in it and i've taken it to a 2nd dealer and cannot recreate the problem. i don't know what to do?
    It is unfortunate that you are having issues with your new car and hopefully they can get the issue resolved soon.

I have seen other people on the site that have had some issues with their car to the point of claiming they would not by another American car again, blah, blah, blah. Well, I find it interesting that all the the forums at this website have people like your self with problems with a new car, but I didn't read enough to find out if they would never by another Japanese car again like some buyers of American cars.

On the Toyota forum there was a guy who's girl friend has had a lot of issues with her new Corolla with the worse one being the stuck steering wheel while driving. Toyota said the steering column is warped and would need to be replaced.

On the Honda forum there is a lot of comments about noises coming from the front of the new Civic.

This all goes to show that no matter what you buy some of us may have some warranty problems or other issues to have to deal with. No car is perfect.
    Ah, but like in gambling, it is all about the odds!
    And reality, is all about your history.
    The car has been out for more than a year now and as typical with most new cars there was a couple of issues with the first released cars with some power sunroof issues (drainage hose not connected, rattles). I have not heard of anyone with 2006 models that has had any issues.

The Cobalt has been paired against the top cars in it's class and has faired pretty positively with magazines typically naming it in the top 3, and a couple had it over the Corolla.

If you were to look at other forums you would find that all model cars have some kind of issue and as mentioned the new Civic has some issues right now, not to mention this car was delayed in it's release because of some other factory assembly problems.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I will probably buy a cobalt next year (coupe) and I would like to know how does it handle in the snow. That's my biggest consern. Is it to light? I've been driving minivans or suv's for a long time and I'm afraid that it could be slippery and easy to stuck with.
    Anyone with winter driving experience with the cobalt?
    While we haven't had much snow/ice here in Michigan this winter, with what winter driving I have done, I've been quite impressed. It handles great...I'm sure in deep snow it wouldn't fare so well, like a van or SUV would, but I believe mine has traction control (I know it sounds stupid that I don't know but it's not anywhere on the invoice and the owner's manual makes it sound like I have it but I'm not sure)which can help in some conditions. It does warn of possible ice on the monitor thing (even on sunny days) which gets annoying...I had a Grand Am prior to this for one winter and I'd say the Cobalt might even handle better.
  • jrh2003jrh2003 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently interested in purchasing a new 2006 Cobalt and I was curious to see how many problems people have found with their 2006 Cobalts. Of all the problems I have read about the problems seem to be in the 2005 cars. Any info. you have would be very helpful. Thanks.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I bought a 2005 Cobalt in June for my college age son. He now has 13K on the car and we have had ABSOLUTELY NO problems with the car. We get 27mpg in mostly suburban type driving and 35mpg we he goes on a highway trip. So far, we could not be happier with the car. The one we got has NO options, we wanted the fun of a stick for his first new car.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Last year we sold our 1998 cavalier coupe. Now that the cobalt has arrived what are the differences between the two cars. Is the cobalt only a new name for the same car or it's a totally different car?
  • b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    is the bowtie on its nose. :D

The Cobalt is a new design based on GM's global Delta chassis (Saturn Ion, Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra). Much more well-made than the Cavalier ever was. My only gripes are (1) the coupe should have been a liftback like the Scion tC, its trunk opening is almost uselessly small for my needs and (2) they didn't build a hatchback version like its sibling the Opel Astra has available. Typical Detroit move, give Europe the cool designs and give your own country the leftovers.

The coupe is, however, one of the sharpest cars coming out of Detroit right now, beautiful car. I'd be looking hard at one if I could get my bass amp in it, but I don't think it'll fit. C'mon Detroit, cough up some hatchbacks! :cry:

Todd in Beerbratistan
    Americans don't like hatchbacks according to the auto industry. I too would rather have a hatchback like the old Cavaliers, Olds Omega's, Buick Apollo's, etc.

The trunk opening isn't oddly small for this compact catagory. I would say it is average in opening size, and above average in storage cubic feet trunk space.

Rumor has it that the Malibu Maxx hatchback will be discontinued in 2007.
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    One major thing to consider - the new cavalier engine (ECOTECH 2.2), was not used until the late? 2002 model year. More than likely, your cavalier has the older engine, being four years old. If your sister is comparing engine to engine, there is no comparison. I travel almost sixty (60) miles daily with my '04 Cavalier with a 5 speed, which I purchased for the great engine and gas mileage. Yeah, the interior leaves much to be desired. In a mixture of 70/30 highway/city, I average over 34 MPG. All of this to say one thing - if you deem the interior and "creature comforts" an upgrade from the Cavalier, you cannot go wrong with the engine. 42,000 miles with absolutely no problems. I hope this helps, as I have not test-driven a Cobalt
  • wallstfunwallstfun Member Posts: 12
    Both my brother and I own Cobalts. He had perrelli P-6 tires on his and the car is great in the snow. I had michelins on mine and the car slides like crazy. So it's not the car as much as it is the tires. Just for the record we love the car and have had no problems with either.
  • wallstfunwallstfun Member Posts: 12
    My brother bought the 2005 coupe LT in may 2005 as of today he has over 15,000 miles on it and the only thing it's been to the shop for is oil changes. I bought a 2006 coupe LT-2 in october. I have only 6,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free as well. I owned a 91, 94 and a 98 Cavalier. The Cobalt is a cadillac compared to them. Night and day in fit and finish, Ride you name it. So far The cobalt has beat all my expectations. Dealer told me the few issues the cobalts had in early production were all resolved. Mainly A/C drain, headlights and rattles from ther glovebox.
    Did you drive on both sets of tires in the snow? Just trying to eliminate the "my brother drives like a maniac" factor from the different experiences with the tires.

Thanks for posting the positive comments on the Cobalt. People who have problems with their cars are really motivated to complain, but people who are happy usually just drive them. It's important to hear positive comments, not just the negative stuff.

On the 2006 - did you get the PZEV version sold in California and the other green states? If so, is your air filter a sealed, long life unit? Just curious since I had a PZEV Focus and was surprised that the air filter was no longer user (or oil change shop, thank heavens!) serviceable.