Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• wallstfunwallstfun Member Posts: 12
    First of all my brother doesn't drive like a maniac. We're both our in our late 40's just for the record,lol. When we first noticed the problem I drove both cars on the same street. It was amazing how much difference ther was in tires. The pirellis had traction the michelins acted like slicks. We have both owned many new cars through the years and I must say the Cobalt is by far the best out the door. I use to have lists of problems when I bought new cars. Not with the Cobalt, In a way it seems to good to be american. Great car.
    We live in NY So we don't have that special emissions stuff.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Actually, NY does have that special emissions stuff -

Emission Equipment, PZEV • S, SE & SES N/C N/C
    (N/A ST) (N/A w/Heater-41H) (Req's 2.0L PZEV Engine) (Req'd in CA, MA, ME, NY & VT) (Optional in Cross-Border States) (Cross-Border States are AZ, CT, NH, NJ, NV, OR, PA & RI)
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    GM now has a lightning fast 260 2.0L DIRECT INJECTION S/C engine it is putting into those hot roadsters (the saturn has my name on it, in all colors!) do you think there is any chance in heaven that GM will replace the current 2.0L S/C (205hp) with the new 260hp version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They could detune it for Saab so it will not intrude on the V6, and it will get even better fuel economy. They should probably crank up the Saab engine as well. Any thoughts?

Who wants to see a 260hp Cabolt SS coupe, black on Black and red interrior??????????????????????????

also, its nice to see people post good stuff aboutt here cobalts.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    hey guys I have a friend that is looking at a cobalt. He is having trouble deciding between an automatic and the 5-speed.
    how is the performance in each and what kind of mileage are they getting on the highway and around town?
  • wallstfunwallstfun Member Posts: 12
    I think I can give you an opinion on the automatic since my family owns 2 cobalts. The automatic shifts nice and smooth. As for gas milage it's a big spread. On the highway I average 32-34 but if I'm in the city the car averages 17-20. If you have to stomp on it the automatic holds the shifts to near red line and feels like it is giving you optimum engine power.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Thank you for the input on the automatic. It will be most helpful.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    SS S/C fans huh. I understand, I wouldn't want to see an all american (errr global) 260hp DI engine rip the pants off the imports, either ;)
  • sublett4sublett4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've own 4 cavaliers but recently decided to purchase the '06 LS Sedan Cobalt. I had to drive from Maryland to Oklahoma to see family about 1200 miles. I didn't want to drive the cobalt that far but decided to do so. I've return back to maryland and now have 2600 miles, the car ran great even through bad weather and I was comfortable even after back surgery 1 year ago. I must say for the price and value I like this car.
  • gvsunursegvsunurse Member Posts: 28
    They seem to finally have my ignition problem solved - they changed something in the shifter - so after what seems like a million problems, the car seems to be doing great. I finally called GM to complain, and while I am not eligible just yet for them to buy the car back, I was offered a year service plan, so that makes me happy for now...just as long as I don't keep having problems, it'll be fine...I like the car, it's just not exactly convenient to have to take it into the shop all of the time! Guessing that the '06s are just fine... :shades:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Primary reasons for choosing: Rock bottom price, strong engine, great gas mileage, second year of new model.

Rock bottom price: This was stickered at 14,990 until mid January, when Chevy instituted its new pricing strategy and repriced the coupe at $12,990, a terrific price. The new pricing strategy added a lot of value to the Cobalt, since Chevy had been stingy on rebates on this model before then. I also benefited from a $1,000 GM Card rebate; a dealer discount; and a “floating rebate” (Chevy, like many makers, gives its dealers “coupons” they can selectively apply to rebate a car or truck on the spot - since these instant rebates are not uniform, and limited in number, they don’t usually show up in pricing reports and manufacturer ads). The dealer made money since Consumer Reports indicated there is additional incentive money across the Cobalt line, plus the usual hold-back. Chevy probably didn’t make, or even lost, money; but until they can trim down their production capacity, it’s still less of a hit to their bottom line to produce vehicles than stop the production lines. At least I did my part in Silicon Valley (also known as Toyondaville) to support an American car maker.

Strong engine: One of the other cars on my radar was the new Honda Civic coupe. The reasons I didn’t get the Honda were: (1) the Honda doesn’t have nearly the strong engine that the Cobalt has (it matches horsepower, but is way down on torque, 125 lb-ft vs 155 in the Cobalt); (2) the Honda costs a lot, lot more; (3) there have been an unusual amount of first year defects and issues on the Civic (they are completely new models). There were defects on the Cobalt first year too, but hey, this is the second year now.

Great Gas Mileage: The Cobalt, both with manual transmission and automatic, has been returning excellent real world mileage according to car magazine reviews and individual users. From what I can tell from Honda user reports, the mileage of the two cars is remarkably similar – “remarkably” given the extra weight and larger engine on the Cobalt.

Second year of new model: The Cobalt got good marks for design and quality, but poor marks for number of initial defects in its first year. This is now the second year of production, and I expect the defect rate to be much better. I did notice that some steering issues and fuel pump noise that I noted on test drives of 2005 models were fixed.

There were many secondary reasons for going with the Cobalt. Let me mention the engine again. It is PZEV in California this year, meaning the critical emissions components (including the ECM or engine control module) are warranted for an astounding 150,000 miles or 15 years. The fuel system uses better hoses. The car promises to be a paragon of low maintenance. You can be assured I will go to the dealer on the very infrequent OLM occasions (oil life monitor) for oil changes and general inspections to keep the warranty intact. The big maintenance stuff is way out there – plugs at 100,000 miles, air filters at 45,000 miles etc. (Since I don’t have that much faith in US oils, I will be changing oil every 3,000 miles with TropArctic 5-30 – synthetic blend from Conoco for $1.52 a quart at Walmart.)

Another secondary reason is the many upgrades in technology on the Cobalt – a driver information system that offers many of the functions of early, and expensive, trip computers; automatic headlamps (and DRL – daytime running lights, a big safety plus); a RDS (radio data system) cd player that will show the radio station call letters and song being played on most FM stations; and the Oil Life Monitor (which removes anxiety about whether I am an easy, normal, or hard driver in terms of oil life).

The car also has a strut, instead of a prop rod, for the front hood; cowling, a la VW, over the engine; battery in the trunk so it won’t get cooked or frozen under the hood; and struts instead of hinges for the trunk, so your luggage won’t get scraped when you close the trunk.

Finally, it is quieter than my old Focii ZX3 and seems equal to our other two cars in terms of quiet.
    The Chevrolet Cobalt has experienced a nearly 80 percent increase in sales during the first three months of 2006 compared to the amount of Lordstown-built vehicles sold in 2005. - newspaper report

Obviously none of the buyers are enthusiasts, since this board is quiet (and the Civic and Fit boards are very active).
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Yes, I saw the Civic board a couple of weeks ago. Nothing but problems and complaints. That Fit looks to be a death trap waiting to happen, and it starts at $14,000 from what I have read.
    I didn't want to post negatively on the Fit at the Fit board, but I share your concerns about the safety of these emerging "B" class automobiles (MINI, Fit, Aveo, etc.) I would have no problems with them in Europe or Asia, where overall the vehicles are smaller, but over here there are too many large vehicles. Weight matters! The Insurance Institute says the "sweet spot" in vehicle safety is a 4 door passenger sedan weighing about 3,400 pounds. They do well in crashes (solid structure and good mass) and, unlike SUV's, don't have a terrible record in single car (mostly roll-over) accidents. The Cobalt is a little smaller than optimal, but a lot bigger than the Fit!

What irks me is that Car and Driver has a very "biased" rating system and trashed the Caliber, praised the Fit in a recent test (they didn't even include the Focus and Cobalt in their test). Why? Because, in a nutshell, the Fit handles like a "go kart." Hey, I test drove a MINI, and almost bought one, the handling is super fine and tends to seduce you. BUT, stepping back for a moment, is it big enough to be safe? I went with a Golf instead, that time around. I think the super fine handling of the Fit is because it is so small; but is it a good car for the American scene? Would I rather see single moms in 12 grand Cobalts (or 17 grand Calibers), or in 15 grand Fits that "look neat" and get rave auto press reviews because they appeal to the test drivers' "sport compact" bias? (Do I have to even answer that self-imposed question?)
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I may be in the market for a new car soon. I currently drive a Buick Regal GSE (it has the supercharged V6). I am interested in the Cobalt. I have not test driven it yet, but am interested in how the car reacts at highway speeds. I do a lot of driving on the interstates here in NJ, so I need a good comfortable car that drives well on the highways. Obviously the Cobalt will not match the power of my current car, but gas mileage is a consideration. Also, I sometimes drive with people in my back seat. Everything that is said about the Cobalt slams the backseat. to me it is not bad, but I am only 5ft 5in tall. Any feedback would be helpful. My mother has a 2004 Corolla, and I have driven that a few times. It is a little less powerful than the Cobalt, but seemed to be fine. Seats were very comfortable even while driving all day. Thanks.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Price is between $13k and $14k, which is more than I thought they said the hybrid was to be -- oh well. I would not count the Fit out for safety, though an SUV will easily roll over, or through about any smaller car, Cobalt included. Fit comes with standard side air bags. Gas mileage is not as good as the Civic HX, which was the best deal back when. Guess it competed with the hybrids for sales. Seems like for the same price, you can easily get your Cobalt compared to the Fit. I am sure people will find things to like about both cars. Cobalt, or maybe the tC, is about as small as I care to go. America has lots of larger cars, and ya get kinda lost amongst them. I know, I once owned a Miata.

Actually, I would imagine you can get a Cobalt with air, for less than, or around $13K. Civic are good cars, but they are starting to get a little pricey these days. The gas crunch has spiked the prices, no doubt. Cobalts may be more the bargain. Personally, I always worry about the first couple of years on newly introduced model reliability.
    For price to size, Cobalt seems, ummmm, more Fit. -Loren
    The Cobalt is probably a better buy, list price to list price, and sale price to sale price.
  • airmn65airmn65 Member Posts: 14
    Disreguard what I said above about your sound system. I just now realized that you have an LS with a four speaker AM/FM. Sorry for the mixup. You just may want to have a new system professionally installed!! I understand what you mean now and it may be tricky to do yourself. Good luck with it anyway!
  • airmn65airmn65 Member Posts: 14
    Hello to all Cobalt people..I found this site and it has alot of really cool car care stuff, and many hard to find items. Neat stuff for sure!! If you wanna check it out, its right below...Enjoy.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I'm looking forward to buy a cobalt. Could you tell some positive and negative things you experience with yours. And also please state your age. I'm going on my 50's and wonder if a cobalt ss coupe (not the supercharged) would be alright for me. Am I trying to look younger in a cobalt or what? I've always own S.U.V.'s in the pass. What's going on with me? A bit scared.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I purchased a 2006 Chev. Cobalt LT sedan in January (to use as a second vehicle) as I also own a 2005 Mercury Mariner SUV. I have been averaging 31.4 mpg(city) and around 34 on the highway. There is plenty of leg room(I am 6'2"). The big difference I find is getting used to the ingress and egress. You are much lower to the ground and have to "push" yourself up to to get out of the Cobalt. Other than that slight problem, I am very satisfied with the LT Cobalt (info center, auto., good gas mileage, comfortable ride, etc.)
    P>S. I am 75 and slightly disabled...but I am not trying to "look younger"...I gave up on that theory!
    '
    A Cobalt SS, not supercharged, is a bargain - if you tried to boost the horsepower after market on the regular version, or improve the handllng, you'd pay much, much more than the small price difference between an LT and the SS. That doesn't even take into consideration the upgraded interior, etc.

I fall into the same age category. 50 isn't old and I know people in their 20's who treat cars as appliances - anything will do - and people in their 50's who love cars. And vice versa. Given the many changes in trends and outlooks in the past 50 years, why type-cast?

BTW I got the base model, LS Coupe, with a stick shift and it is a lot of fun to drive! All Cobalts come with 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty, in addition to the usual 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. That's a better deal than the Ford Focus.

Be forewarned that the small rear windows on the coupe don't make it easy to look over your shoulder to check for traffic, but you'll get used to it.
    I am 42-years-old and I plan on getting the LT four door after careful consideration of the SS. The SS has 17" wheels with the low profile tires. Though this is a nice sporty ride, I prefer the smoother ride of the LT. Just my opinion.
  • cobalt2cobalt2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new cobalt. About 2 mo ago. It is one of the niceest cars. It handles great has good power the power stearing is electric so no power is taken form the car. The stearing responds just like normal stearing. I have the 2 door coupe with the 2.2 it performs well. The car is quite it is made with GMs Quite steel Its a sharp car. Good choice of cars. I am 53 Years old. After I got my car my son drove it and went out and also got a 2006 cobalt he is 20. This car appeals to every age group .
  • rlangerlange Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car in August 2005 for my daughter to take to college. She drove it from Indianapolis to Chicago the third day after we got it and was stranded in Chicago because the car wouldn't start. She got it started and drove it home, 150 mile trip, it used 2 tanks of gas to get back. The dealership replaced the ignition coil modules on the number 1 and 4 cylinders. The problem persists today, however not a bad, it only stutters sometimes and gets around 23-25 miles per gallon instead of 30mpg as advertised. We just had another Ignition Coil Module replaced, but it still has issues. I'm writing this in hope of locating others with the same issue. Anyone out there with the same issue, drop me a reply. Indiana Lemon Law requires four attempts by the dealer to repair the problem, only one more to go! Thanks
    This is a new one for this forum.
  • rkenngottrkenngott Member Posts: 2
    Where do I start with my 2005 cobalt????First...sorry I bought the car and sorry I didn't hang on to my 13 year old car with minimum problems for a 13 year old car? Yes. Problem with the key not coming out of the ignition....a/c leaking into passengers side of the car....headlamps retaining alot of moisture....idiot light for emergency brake blinking on and off. No power for the a/c....not giving cold air.....In florida you kind of need that....Oh year...car was fixed thursday pm....brought back following day for additional repairs.In shop 4 times in two MONTHS! Where is my 13 year old car now?
    Wow, that sounds like my last two Oldsmobiles. Didn't know they still had multiple problems like that in short time. Really thought they had turned the corner as of 2002. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    -Loren
  • superfatmansuperfatman Member Posts: 4
    First I'd like to say for my second car I am rather impressed. My first car was a 2003 Chevy Cavalier VLX. Some would say anything is better than a Cavy, but 76000 KM in 2 years of city driving, two accidents (not of my own) and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

Now for my Cobalt. First off, I am not a small guy either, built large and 5'11" not all Sedans (the Cobalt is industry rated as a Sedan, a sub compact is a Colt or Toyota Yaris) and I fit nicely into the car. I do a lot of highway driving and the car is very comfortable for me.

The ride is amazing, worlds above the Cavy, and many other vehicles I have taken a ride on the hwy in due to the Cobalt Delta frame. (I have done a lot of research, its the same frame used on the Pontiac G5 Persuit, the Saturn Ion, HHR, and a few others.) Good features, and decent performance.

I have upgraded a few engine components (K&N Air filter, yes it does make a difference! Good Airflow is important and the K&N allows the 2.2 Ecotec to breath, it needs it!)
    And a Purolator Performance oil filter using a synthetic filter for better oil flow).

Mileage is great (I live in Canada so everything I post here is in km.) City driving im getting 8.0L per 100KM, and 6.8L per 100KM Hwy. Which is on par to advertising claims and in the case of city driving, better.

As a note for Oil Filters, do not use FRAM oil filters, they or poorly constructed and cheap! The overflow/backflow valve do not work properly and allow dirty oil to enter the clean oil of your engine.

The only complaint I have is I do get a rough idle after extremely heavy acceleration and breaking. I like to take advantage of this cars 0-60MPH at 7.10 seconds.

I believe the idle problem is a bad ignition coil, but I am unable to find the problem with my code reader (nor can the dealership).

As for the -

"Where do I start with my 2005 cobalt????First...sorry I bought the car and sorry I didn't hang on to my 13 year old car with minimum problems for a 13 year old car? Yes. Problem with the key not coming out of the ignition....a/c leaking into passengers side of the car....headlamps retaining a lot of moisture....idiot light for emergency brake blinking on and off. No power for the a/c....not giving cold air.....In Florida you kind of need that....Oh year...car was fixed Thursday pm....brought back following day for additional repairs. In shop 4 times in two MONTHS! Where is my 13 year old car now?"

Let’s start with the AC issue. It is a known problem. When the 2005's were made, a programming error in the equipment at the factory OVER FILLED the A/C Lines. When they got hot from use (and being in Florida) they would burst/leak aka stop working. This is because the coolant gases expand and overpresure the system and can cause seals to leak and even cause the cars computer to shut the car down to prevent leaks or line bursts. Take it to the dealership!!! They'll fix that. Key not coming out of the ignition, make sure the vehical is in park/neutral. Or depress the break, or if you have LOCKED your steering column before you take the key out try turning it a little. The ignition design prevents you from taking your key out until it is SAFE to do so. Please read your manual, they put it in your car for a reason.

Oh, as for the headlights fogging, during winter (and when my lights are on, producing heat) I get no fogging. Have you checked to make sure that you don’t have any stone chips or cracks causing extra moisture (aka RAIN water) to get in? Sounds to me like all you want to do is find all that wrong with it. Try looking at it from the glass is half full perspective. And some cars (even though they can be a 100k $ car can still be :lemon: 's)

I give this car two thumbs up!
    I am 23 years old and will hold onto this car until I drive it into the ground! :)

Another interesting fact, the Chevy Cobalt is the number 2 selling vehical in North America, only surpased by the Impala. They gota be doing something right! :)
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Well I finally test drove a 2006 Cobalt LT with the Sport Pkg. I must say I was very impressed. Quiet ride, good handling, the engine power seemed to be fine. Responsive transmission, and the steering was fine too. Overall this car is now very high on my list.
  • rkenngottrkenngott Member Posts: 2
    no.....I'm not trying to find all that is wrong with the car....trying to find something right with it. I work hard for my money and expect a decent car for the money I pay for it. I agree it has a smooth,comfortable ride...great on gas....of course you need that but yes....I do take it to the dealer for repairs...point being I shouldn't have to.Do you work got GM? I'm a woman and not a stupid one. Was told by dealership headlamp is Supposed to collect moisture? Ok so that means that the one not collecting moisture should be fixed right? The key wouldn't come out of the ignition....couldn't even put it into gear...Shift control assembly was shot.Twice? Two thumbs up? I have one
    Hello fellow canadian. I live in this winter country myself and I posted a couple of times to know how the cobalt handles in winter driving but I didn't have to much replies. I'm looking forward to buying one(coupe LT or SS) but my only concern is driving a cobalt in winter. I'm used to drive S.U.V.'s and Vans. I'm a little scared.
    The only reply I got was from Michigan and they didn't have to much snow last winter. So...
    Almost ANY front wheel drive car (the Cobalt is one) will handle excellently in snow WITH snow tires. Without snow tires, how any fwd car handles snow depends on that particular all season tires winter performance. BUT Consumer Reports did a test and snow tires blow away the best all season tires in winter.
    Well enough moisture in the headlamps, and you can add some gold fish. :surprise: That would psych-out the service dept. Hope they get your car straighten on out.

My last GM was an Acheiva, and it was in say around eight times before the bugs got worked on out. After the few months to do that, all went fairly well, compared to the first three. I guess I had it say five years. It started to take on water around the driver side footwell, and a couple of other things, so I dumped it. It was not too bad to live with overall between those years. And hopefully the 21st century compact cars by GM are better than the '70's thru '90's.

Can you take it to another dealer in your area? Sounds like the one you have taken your car to was full of B.S. on the headlamp issue.

Wish you better luck in the future.
    -Loren
    Subaru AWD, if you are real concerned about snow sledding along the highways and by-ways.
    -Loren
    Never heard of the headlight moisture issue with this car. It would have to be either a cracked lense or bad gasket.

The air conditioning issue is a known one in the first year Cobalts, unfortunately.

I wish I had saved the article, but a local newspaper auto writer says most of the time when there is a hard time getting the key out of the ignition it is related to the ignition solenoid getting wet from coffee or soda spilling from the cup holder down into the transmission solenoid. I don't know how common this happens.
    Hello, I didnt mean to insult your intelegence... woman or man we are all equal. So I am sorry if I did. I would try another dealership if your current one is giving your problems. I have had great success with mine, I am sorry to hear about it.

The shift control does have a problem when liquids get spilt into it. I have read here and on a few other forums.. they did correct that issue for the 2006 models. I have had my friend spill TWO Slurpee' in it (needless to say hes not allowed to have drink or food in my vehical any more) and I have not had any problems with liquid.

The headlights I must agree is a crack or a poor gasket seal.
    Handles great in the winter. Dont know where you are located, but here (winnipeg) we had an amazing storm this past November and there must have been 3 - 4 feet of snow overnight. I was able to push my way along.. a few times it was close to being stuck, but that wonderfull Snow tire helps alot.

It being a front wheel drive does help.. many times I would see one of those "I drive a big 4x4" guys stuck because they got cocky, I drove right by them ( i did help but you know what i mean ) :P
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    "Another interesting fact, the Chevy Cobalt is the number 2 selling vehical in North America, only surpased by the Impala. They gota be doing something right!"

yeah, they are doin something right. THEY ARE UNLOADING BOATLOADS OF CARS TO RENTAL COMPANIES. even though domestic automakers are trying to cut down dependence on fleet sales, they've got a long way to go.

The top ten fleet vehicles sales for 4TH QUARTER OF 2005:

10: Chrysler PT Cruiser
    09: Chevrolet Cobalt
    08: Dodge Caravan
    07: Pontiac G6
    06: Dodge Stratus
    05: Pontiac Grand Prix
    04: Hyundai Sonata
    03: Ford Taurus
    02: Chevrolet Malibu
    01: Chevrolet Impala

the impala and cobalt are both in the top 10, so of course they have a great deal of sales. 5 of top 10 are GM.

additionally, domestic automakers depend on fleet sales for 30% of total sales, and you can see how dependent gm is (particularly chevy with 3 top ten's). last i read, honda depends on less than 8% of sales being fleet and toyota under 10%.

of course, besides historically poorer reliability, this is a big reason for resale values being driven down on domestic vehicles.

the big 3 must cut their dependence on fleet sales, as it isnt nearly as profitable per car as private sales.
    Forgot to mention it, I was born in Ottawa Ont. and crossed the river to Gatineau Que. because of my work. But deep inside I'm still a Canadian and I'm proud of it. Thank you very much for your reply.
    The shift solenoid problem is not just a GM thing.
  • mopowahmopowah Member Posts: 68
    By most I mean EVERY car manufacturer that sells cars in high-volumes. Including your precious little Nissan. If I remember correct (which I do) Nissan was(is) definitely one of the worst companies out there in terms of initial quality. Statistics don't lie...you do.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    Well I don't lie when I say that all I've had to do in 3 years and 34,000 miles is a brake job on my precious Nissan. I can say the same thing about my 99 Civic before that (except that car didn't even need brakes).

When you say that it's completely acceptable for a new car to have all these bugs and that's just the way it is, that's the lie. You don't ask enough of GM when you're plunking down 15 or 20 grand for a car. I guess that if it wasn't for guys like you giving them a pass for all their screw ups, they'd be losing 2 or 3 billion a quarter.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There's no reason to say anyone is "lying". You just see things differently. Let's avoid the personal comments.
  • mopowahmopowah Member Posts: 68
    ...since their 30k Camry's have transmission troubles. Nevermind confusing this argument with facts that would contradict that statement such as JD Powers listing Toyota as one of the most reliable car mfg's in the world.
    The Camry six speed does have some problems. The rest of the transmissions do not. Toyota is one of the most reliable cars you can buy. So is the Hyundai, with the best warranty available anywhere on inexpensive cars. Cars with standard side air bags.

Any first year version in any make truly runs the possibility of some sort of bug within the workings. Best odds of finding more bugs is with a car made by the Big Two. Sorry but that is the way it is. The rest of the worlds cars may have the first year woes on some cars -- with GM and Ford, it is almost a given. The Ford Focus turned into a decent car, over time.
    -Loren
    P.S. you can add Chrysler and other German makes to the first and second year curse too.
    The Toyota transmission problems in the Camry are atypical whereas the Cobalt's issues are completely typical of the General. If this is the beginning of a trend for Toyota, they'll be knocked from their perch.

Any car can be a lemon, but you're running a much higher risk of getting a lemon if you buy GM. If you want a trouble free car, look elsewhere.

I was raised on detroit iron and used to be a GM apologist, but they've lost me.
    Who said acceptable? I don't mean to make you angry, but you may feel more comfortable on another forum with the cars you like.
    If you can't be involved in a message board and avoid getting upset and calling other people liars because their opinion differs from yours (when there indeed was no mistatement of fact), than you may be more comfortable elsewhere.

I enjoy a lively exchange of thoughts and first came here because I was considering the Cobalt for my wife. I don't think that I'll be buying one but do hope that the General will someday get back to making world class cars. Until they do, I won't be an apologist for them.

No one here said specifically, "the problem is acceptable" but rather said things like "it's a first year problem" and "the solenoid problem isn't just a GM thing". That makes it sound like the writer thinks it's OK.
    Let me amend my last post: It was mohopaw that viciously called me a liar, not Poncho. I apologize in advance to Poncho and look forward to a continued lively exchange.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There's no reason to say that anyone is lying and we ALL need to stop the personal comments. Please.