Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• Options
    okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    there is a temp gauge in the info center that shows oil life ,mileage, trip meter, and the like. i have 11000 on mine and have had no problems. :)
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    FWIW I'm in love with my 07 LT1 sedan W/Auto.

There's an "INFO" button on the steering wheel that'll flash all sorts of info by the speedo. Easy to use, just read a manual or ask your salesperson, they should know how it operates.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Can you display the coolant temperature continuously? I am used to having a gauge in front of me at all times so I can glance at it without having to select display with some button.
  • Options
    It could be done if you wish.
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Well it has been 8 months since I purchased my 2007 Cobalt LTZ, and already I have 10,500 miles on it. I absolutley love this car. The car is powerful and responsive enough, and it handles pretty darn good. I have the XM and Onstar which were both worth the money, besides how many owners of the imports can say that thier car emails them every month: none. I also have the remote start, and I still think it is a gimmick, but I do find myself using it. The only issue that I have had so far was a squeak in the back seat that was fixed during my first oil change. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a solid small car that is pretty good on gas, and comfortable to drive.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Do they use a timing belt or a chain on late model (07 and 08) 2,2 liter and 2.4 liter engines?
  • Options
    Chain
  • Options
    grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I'm presently driving a 2005 chevrolet Equinox LT FWD. (s.u.v.) and thinking of trading it in for a 2008 Cobalt LT sport coupe.
    This is were I need help ... my friends are all telling me not to do it.
    They tell me that I have more protection in a Equinox and that it is safer to drive than the Cobalt and that the Equinox is more reliable than the Cobalt. What do you Cobalt owners think about what they are telling me.
    Is that possible?
    Up here we have lots of snow in winter time. That could be a factor ?
  • Options
    the cobalt isn't a suv so itnot a direct comparison. my cobalt has front and side airbags and seatbelts. also cobalts are pretty tough cars. sa far as reliable i have one and another person i work with has won and neither of us have had any problems. :shades:
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Cobalts have 5-star frontal rating and last I saw were rated good in side impact as well along with the Corolla. The side inpact test I saw over a-year-ago had no car better.
  • Options
    nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2005 Base model Cobalt with no options as well as a 2007 LS with no options. The 2005 has 40K miles and the 2007 is at 10K. Both cars have never been back for any repairs. Gas, oil, and tires only. MPG is great, around 35-37 on the highway consistantly. Great cars, low price, who can ask for more?
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    For do-it-yourselfers, the GM Ecotec engine requires a low-profile 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the plastic cap on top of the built-in oil filter. This tool is not easy to find.

However, Amazon.com is presently selling the "Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L" for $8.94 --- shipping is free if you buy something else that makes your order total over $25 (the something else can be anything you were probably going to buy anyway --- such as say a computer printer ink cartridge.)
  • Options
    jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    You can get an Ecotec oil filter housing socket on eBay for under $10. I got a Lisle brand socket mailed to my door for $9. Very easy find at most any auto parts store as well.

Joel
  • Options
    guyman63guyman63 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, Guy from NJ here. I plan on purchasing a Cobalt soon. Noticed you are also from Jersey. Hope you'll write back when you have a chance to: ggarofano@optonline.net
  • Options
    Walked into my local CarQuest and walked out 5 min. later with the correct tool. Cost less than 10 bucks.
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    It is good to hear from a from a person in NJ. What style of Cobalt are you considering, couple or sedan? What trim level? I honestly can say this, I have almost 13k miles on my car, and there is not a day that goes by that I can't say I regret buying a Cobalt. I absolutlely love the Onstar, and the XM is not bad either. Let us know what you are considering. Good luck in your search :D
  • Options
    Locally I could not find the low-profile socket at any of the auto parts stores.

I already had a normal 1 1/4" socket and it could be used to loosen the filter cap----- but then I had to re-tighten the cap somewhat to get space to remove the socket, and then I could unscrew the cap by hand. That worked but was inconvenient.

I'm glad to hear the low-profile socket is becoming more available. Many internet suppliers were asking more than $20 for them including shipping.
  • Options
    http://www.tooldesk.com/items/productDetail.aspx+id+1770

This part has been available for several years, nothing new about it.

Like I said, my local Carquest had one on their tool rack when I walked in there a year ago.

Tools aren't cheap. Many don't understand the expense mechanics have in tools.
  • Options
    jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    Yep, the black plastic oil filter housing cap is also made by Lisle corp, interestingly enough. Same major manufacturer of the "oil filter socket"

Joel
  • Options
    Heh, I never noticed that Joel.
  • Options
    Any of you know good "web sites" describing the Chevrolet Cobalt.
    I'm thinking of buying one and would like to read lots of information about the car before making my decision.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    see poncho he's the man :shades:
  • Options
    You know I used to have a list of the test drives by different magazine, newspapers, etc., and they were all average to even best in class. The car came out in 2004 as a 2005 and was a vast improvement over the Cavaliar. It's Ecotec engines are considered by many to be the best four cylinder engines built and racing has proven their durability time after time which they dominate most every catagory.

The Cobalt when introduced had a few glitches with the slow steering response with the industries new trend with the electric steering taking over the old mileage and power dropping belt driven steering. That issue has been resolved. Then there was the ignition solenoid problem with people getting the keys stuck in the ignition which was also tied with the shifter. That problem apparently has been resolved as well. The solenoid problem was not just a GM problem because there are a few brands that get parts from the same supplier. None of these lead to recalls because of safety. There was also an issue with the power sunroofs water drain hose not being connected on some models upon delivery.

The newest model is the XFE-xtra fuel economy is the highest rated compact to my knowledge right now with 36 highway post mpg. I am not to keen to the highway mileage figure because most of us drive the city.

You can use google.com to find Cobalt test drives but it seems most of the results are for that hot Cobalt SS turbo model.

Here are a few reviews in one link that I found which rank from mediocre to excellent.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2008-Chevrolet-Cobalt/

I believe there is also a $1,000 rebate still going on the car right now.
  • Options
    aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    poncho...

Everything you say about the Cobalt is true, but there still is this perceived notion that Cobalts are junk and not worth the consumer/driver's dollar...eventhough this model is a good seller. It sells well because it's easy to purchase and repair with Chevy dealers coast to coast. It's a shame, though, that this model has a negative stigma attached to it by some. I don't consider the Cobalt bottom of the barrel, and I hope the Chevy suits improve upon it, in terms of offering ESC and more comfortable front seats across the line, for it's '09 version.

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,110
    I bought a Cobalt XFE last Saturday and I told my wife yesterday, I couldn't remember a new car purchase where I was happier a week later with the quality of the car and everything else.

I wanted a 5-speed 4-door (kids are 11 and 14 now) but had to have ABS. This made the car hard-to-find. I wasn't hell-bent on an XFE (all LS and 1LT 5-speeds built 3/17/08 or later are the XFE), but that's what my dealer located for me, at a dealer five hours away! Still, the deal began at invoice, I got $3,000 in rebates, also had my $1,500 in GM Card Earnings bumped up to $2,000 until 6/2/08, and got $600 more trade for my '02 Cavalier 5-speed than I anticipated from looking online. I drove the Cobalt home, everything included like tax, etc., for $8,638.50. I'm pleased. It's a silver LS. We all love the XM radio and will probably opt to renew after the three months' free trial expires.

Bill P.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    georgecavaliergeorgecavalier Member Posts: 54
    I bought a 2007 Cobalt LS coupe on Dec. 31st. for $10,300 and I couldn't be happier. It gets great mileage, it doesn't look cheap, and it has enough power to hold its own. I now have almost 7k miles on it and so far no problems... the DIC didn't even tell me to change the oil yet. I had to take it to the shop once but it was my fault because I hit a pothole and bent the rim. Coming from a family that has had 5 Cavaliers (90, 92, 01, 02, 03) I knew that I would be getting a car that had the same mission but did so with more moderness and style. You can see a little Cavalier in the Cobalt and they're both a compact but I think the Cobalt is much more refined especially in the interior. The dash is layed out nicer. I love the DIC and the handy MP3 jack. I have one big gripe: there being no standard ABS, even though my 92 Cavalier had it. Also I wish Chevy would have given the LS model the 2-tone door panels. I do kind of miss power windows and keyless entry but I could've bought the LT to fix that. I think that whether you like domestics or imports you won't go wrong with giving the Cobalt a chance because you can have a basic commuter (LS) to a barn burner (SS).
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hello, my fellow Cobalt owners. I just joined the Cobalt family Tuesday, June 3, 2008.

I was driving an 89 S-10 pickup with 219,6XX miles on it to work every day, and the A/C was not working. It was while I was having the A/C fixed in the dealer's service department that I checked out the Cobalt.

I asked the service manager, a guy who has always taken very good care of me, to hook me up with a sales person who would not put the high pressure sales pitch on me. He recommended a pretty blonde gal, and I decided she would do very nicely. :)

They were down to ONE Cobalt in their inventory, and they said that those puppies were selling like hot cakes. They had a white four door LS with the 2.2 L engine and an automatic transmission. The car was very basic; it had only the automatic tranny and the rear spoiler as options. No power windows, no power locks, and no cruise control. It stickered for $15,530 with destination charges included.

I liked it and was able to work out a deal for it. They sold it to me for $300.00 over invoice, knocking approximately $400 off the sticker price. I was pretty much expecting them to tell me they would not come off the sticker price, since they were selling so well. I took advantage of the $2000 GM rebate, plus my $1800 in GM Card earnings, so I ended up getting the car for $11,330 with no trade-in.

I decided that I might as well go ahead and let them take my S-10 in trade, so that I would not have the hassle of trying to sell it myself, and so that I would not have to pay the repair bill on it for the A/C.

The clutch was about shot, and the pedal had to be almost all the way out before the truck would pull. The tranny was hard to get into gear when the truck had been sitting overnight, so it could be that I would be facing a transmission rebuild or a new transmission soon.

I let them have it for $500.00, and I didn't have to pay for the A/C repair, which would have been at least $200, I would guess. (They were still finding things that needed replacing, so I don't know what the bill would have been.)

I am very happy with the car so far. I can't believe how well the car handles and rides and how quiet it is for such a low priced vehicle! The power of that little gas-sipping 2.2 L engine is also a pleasant surprise. The trunk space is unbelievable for such a small car, and the front seat leg room is great. Now, the back seat leg room is another subject. Hey, it is VERY rare for anyone to be in the back seat of my daily driver, anyway, so I won't lose sleep over the back seat leg room.

I'm anxious to see what kind of MPG I will be able to count on. My commute is 24 miles one way, and it is about 90% highway driving. I do some city driving during lunch hour each day, though, so I won't get the highway MPG overall, I'm sure.

In October of 1971 I made my first ever new car purchase, a four cylinder Chevy that had been assembled in Lordstown, OH. Almost 37 years later, I bought another four cylinder Chevy that came from Lordstown, OH. That first one was a 72 Vega GT Kammback, a gorgeous silver gray one.

Tom
  • Options
    I washed my Cobalt for the first time since taking delivery this past Tuesday, and I found that I have a water leak in the trunk. The rear corner on the passenger side is where the drip is coming from, but the water could be running down from somewhere else before dripping down from there.

I assume that this is a rare problem, since I did not find any recent posts on the subject when I searched on "leak" in this forum. I found an old post where one person reported a leak associated with a pylon for the rear spoiler. The drip in my car was coming from inside the rear quarter panel, not from the trunk lid, so I doubt if my leak is spoiler related.

I also found a dent at the bottom of the driver's side rear door where the door panel flares out. I know that could not have happened in the short time that I have owned the car, so I hope the dealer will fix it for me. It's a strange dent, since the paint is not disturbed one bit. Something soft must have hit that spot, and it makes me wonder if some strap might have put too much pressure on the door during transport?

I really like the little car, and these are minor problems. If I can get these corrected, and if they are the only problems I ever have with this car, then I will be a happy camper.

Tom
  • Options
    About the water leak in the trunk I never heard nothing like than anywhere, must be a isolated case. No problem, they'll find where the water comes in and repair it. It's a matter of a trunk lid adjustment.

For the dent on your car.... that's where you're going to find out what kind of dealer/salesman you're dealing with. When my 2005 Equinox was delivered everything seamed o.k. but the first time I washed it (2 weeks later) I notice a dent on my passenger's door, exactly like you are describing your's, no paint missing and it couldn't have been from another car's door because the dent was horizontal. The dealer said no problem bring it in, looked at it and fixed it right there in the parking lot, didn't even go in the body shop department. Once repaired, couldn't see a thing... its magic... gone. They used a tool that they install over the dent and with a process of suction POP! no more dent.

Must be a dent from the transport that's why they repaired it without a word.
    Keep us posted.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the reply, grosloup. That was a neat trick on the dent repair. Hopefully, my outcome will be the same as yours.

Tom
  • Options
    They easily found the source of my trunk's water leak. There was a sheet metal to sheet metal seem that did not get caulked at the factory.

They were able to make the leak happen, identify the source, and fix it. Have not tested it yet myself, but I'm sure they must have checked it at the service department.

They will call me when the "dent man" comes around next time. They have some guy who stops by from time to time to fix dents for them.

Tom
  • Options
    Exactly like they did for me. This guy has a route and stops at dealers when needed with his magical tool, it's kind of a little plunger with 4 legs that they install over the dent and in the middle of this tool is the suction cup that pulls the dent out.

I tell you... it's magic.

Glad that they fixed your trunk leak. So far, so good.
  • Options
    Thanks for the support, grosloup.

By the way, I know that the word I should have used is "seam," not "seem." Guess I really ought to proof read, huh? :)

Tom
  • Options
    No problem Tom, I knew what you were trying to tell me. Seem or seam, what the heck, I got it anyways.
  • Options
    They sell those suction cup dent pullers at a lot of places. I have even seen them on sale at Walgreen's though I am not sure how the cheap ones work.

If there is ever a big hail storm I will see these tents popping up usually a gas stations with dent puller services using these devices.
  • Options
    Depending on the price, it's a tool that we should have. Lots of car doors damage, hail storm ect... could be repair at home. It's a tool that pays for itself. You're giving me a good idea, I guess I'll check around for one. Got a door dent and I "zoom" on it everytime I get in the truck.
  • Options
    Well, Peeps, my enthusiasm for that little Cobalt has just suffered another setback.

I washed the car today, and when I checked inside the trunk to see if the leak was fixed, I found water dripping steadily onto the carpet in the floor of the trunk.

This time, I looked around more and found that the water was dripping from a spot where the leak could not possibly be related to the seam that the dealership caulked for me last week. That seam needed caulking, no doubt, and that might have been the source of another leak, but NOT this one.

This one is more serious, because I noticed that the carpet/fabric on the rear window ledge is wet! The underlying cardboard,or whatever it is, will probably warp, and the right rear speaker is directly under the wet spot. It probably got wet from water soaking through the carboard.

Obviously, the seal for the back window is not good. I can actually see a dip in the gasket about halfway down the back glass on the passengers side, and that just might be where it is leaking.

I want that back window particle board, or cardboard, or whatever it is replaced, and I want a new speaker, if there is ANY evidence to indicate that the one I have now got wet.

I have a very good relationship with the dealership, and I have no doubt that they will work with me on this. It's still a shame that I have to take the car back a second time, after having owned it less than two weeks. The single biggest reason I traded-in my S-10 for this car was to get a RELIABLE vehicle, so that I would not have the inconvenience and the expense of having it in the shop all the time.

Bottom line, I wanted a vehicle that I could depend on and that would get me excellent gas mileage. So far, I am not getting much better mileage than I got with the S-10, and the car is going back into the shop for the second time in less than two weeks.

Oh, well. I still have hope that I will eventually be very satisfied with this car, but that depends on the successful resolution of this leak problem and the absence of future problems.

As far as the gas mileage, I will just have to lower my expectations and try to be happy with the five MPG better than I was getting with my little S-10.

Tom
  • Options
    leannemarieleannemarie Member Posts: 9
    It's been a couple years since I got my 2005 cobalt, but the issues are the same:

I have a 2005 Cobalt - bought new with a 10yr/100k warrantee.
    Issues:
    * High Beam and EBrake indicators coming on and off very sporadically.
    * CD player giving ERROR or LOCKED message until I restart car.
    *** My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition. while the car is off, I have to shift it into Reverse then back into park to hear the 'click' releasing my key.

~ I found the TSB for almost all these issues but won't pay for subscription so can't see details. My dealership's kinda dickin me around & wants to charge me $100 to tell me what is/isn't wrong when I've already had it seen by a mechanic.

* Who else has these issues and how are you handling it? Anyone give me more info on how to use/read the TSBs?
  • Options
    leannemarieleannemarie Member Posts: 9
    It's been a couple years since I got my 2005 cobalt, but the issues are the same:

I have a 2005 Cobalt - bought new with a 10yr/100k warrantee.
    Issues:
    * High Beam and EBrake indicators coming on and off very sporadically.
    * CD player giving ERROR or LOCKED message until I restart car.
    *** My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition. while the car is off, I have to shift it into Reverse then back into park to hear the 'click' releasing my key.

~ I found the TSB for almost all these issues but won't pay for subscription so can't see details. My dealership's kinda dickin me around & wants to charge me $100 to tell me what is/isn't wrong when I've already had it seen by a mechanic.

* Who else has these issues and how are you handling it? Anyone give me more info on how to use/read the TSBs?
  • Options
    The branches of many public libraries can give you free access to ALLDATA, which is an online automotive service that includes complete TSB details.
  • Options
    I mentioned earlier that I have a rear glass leak in my Cobalt and that my rear window shelf gets wet when I wash the car.

I took the car back Tuesday to the dealership, and they had the local auto glass guy come out to fix the leak. The guy sealed my rear window gasket from the inside of the car and believes he has the leak fixed.

The service manager thought the glass guy was going to remove the window and put in a whole new gasket, and he is willing to have him come back and do that. That's what I thought the guy would do, too, replace the old gasket and reseat the window.

I think I am going to take the Service Manager up on his offer to have the whole gasket replaced, since this is a brand new car. I feel like I have a "patch job" now, instead of a proper fix.

I called the glass guy, and he has confidence that the leak is fixed the way he did it, but the service manager is upset that a whole new gasekt was not installed.

You gotta love a Service Manager who gets just as upset, or even more upset, than the customer when something is not right with the new vehicle. Instead of trying to convince me that I should be happy with this patch job that he already paid $25 for, he wants me to let him have the guy come back for a total replacement of the gasket. I think I will go ahead and tell him to set that up for me.

This is why six of my last seven new cars have been purchased at Browning Chevrolet (was Boggess Chevrolet) in Madisonville, KY. (I caught the old sales manager on a bad day when I tried to buy a new 96 Cavalier Z24 there, or else it would have been seven out of my last seven cars. He tried ot play hardball with me and would not give me the deal that I knew I should be able to get, so I went to a competing dealership and bought the car the next day.)

Do you guys agree that I should let them replace the gasket, or, since the glass guy is confident that he has fixed the leak, should I just let it ride like it is?

Tom
  • Options
    No way! That's not the way to repair a leak in a rear car glass. Your car is new and still on warranty? They should take the rear glass off, take the old gasket/caulking of, clean the surface and replace the glass from scratch like installing a new one.
    Tell the glass that he can put his confidence where the sun don't shine and that you want your rear glass re-installed properly.
    The way he did it is "botching" the job.
    He might be scared of braking the glass while taking it off and having to replace it at his expense?
    Don't accept that scum job.
  • Options
    Now tell me what you REALLY think of that repair job, grosloup. :)

I'm going to have them replace the whole thing. Like I said, the Service Manager had intended for it to be done that way to begin with and still wants me to let him have the guy come back and do it that way.

There are probably a lot of dealerships where they would be telling me to accept what has been done, but Browning's Service Department has my best interest in mind, and they want the job done right. Like I said, this is why they get my business when it's time to buy a new car.

Tom
  • Options
    I remember once I bought a new car and the windshield had been chipped, I imagine from a rock during transport and the G.M. dealer could of just fill it in with liquid glass (that's how they repair window chips) but instead they changed the windshield for a new one (I was there when they changed it).
    The best thing for you in this case is that they remove the rear glass, strip and clean everything up and re-install the glass, then you'll be more certified that the job has been professionally done.
    You're car is still on warranty right?
    If so, it should be repaired the right way.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, grosloup, it is under warranty. I just bought it brand new two weeks ago on June 3rd.

I am going to have them do just what you said, and that is exactly what the Service Manager wanted the glass guy to do to start with, but I guess he forgot that, unlike front windshields, which the glass people can fix without parts, back glasses have to have new gaskets.

The Service Manager already told me he was going to order a new gasket and have the glass guy come back to re-install that back glass for me. I was thinking about telling him to just forget it, based on the glass guy saying he was confident that the leak is fixed, but you are exactly right, the gasket needs to be replaced, not just "patched." It IS a brand new car, after all.

I just want to emphasize again how the Service Manager has been right on top of this and actually encouraged me to let him get a new gasket and have the back glass re-installed. You hear so much negative stuff about dealerships' service departments, but I do business with one that treats the customer right.

Tom
  • Options
    That glass guy just wants to make his job easy. It may stop the leak but if you have the car for a long time you probably would have some issue relating to that in the future. I once had a windshield replaced on a truck and the glass guy didn't properly prime the paint that they scratch removing the windshield which eventually led to rusting.
  • Options
    Thanks, Ponch.

I was kind of thinking that if they messed up the gasket at the factory in one place, it might be messed up somewhere else, too. It might develop a leak in that place sometime.

Taking the back window out and putting in a whole new gasket is the only way to be sure that I won't have leaks in the future.

Tom
  • Options
    What is the maximum trailer weight that a Cobalt can tow.
    By trailer I mean an utility trailer not a camper lets say more or less a 4 x 8 foot trailer.
    Any of you has towed a utility trailer with your Cobalt? and what's the weight and dimension of it?
  • Options
    I didn't know where to post this, but since I just bought a new Cobalt, I decided to post it here.

Here at Emunds cars are reviewed and dealerships are reviewed, but I have not yet seen a place where we, the customers, are reviewed.

Here's what I HOPE my dealer, Browning Chevrolet in Madisonville, KY, would say about me, if they were given a chance to "review" me.

Tom comes here, not with an "attitude," but with the expectation that we will take care of his needs in a timely, efficient manner and at a reasonable cost. He is always friendly, and we are always glad to see him.

He doesn't expect us to drop what we are doing and put his work at the top of the list, but we try to accommodate him whenever we can, because he ALWAYS remembers to say "thanks" when we do, and he is always very understanding when we can't.

He has gone to the trouble of learning our names and a little bit about us personally, and he treats us like friends.

When he buys a car from us, he knows how to get us down to the lowest price, but he also realizes that we are here to make a profit and is not offended by it. Tom is loyal to us and rewards our good service and good deals by purchasing all of his vehicles here. He also recommends us to his friends and acquaintences and has sent many customers to us over the years.

Well, I TRY to be that kind of customer, anyway.

Tom