Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...is 3 years/36 months bumper-to-bumper and 5 / 60 on the powertrain.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Saw the Cobalt coupe for the first time. Not bad looking on the outside. Looks like hard plastic and cheap looking parts inside. Had a shift knob that looked like a toy part, probably worth 50 cents. The asking price is around $16K, I would value it around $14K if you want something with a larger engine than say a Corolla,Civic or Elantra. If the extra HP is no big deal, it looks like a poor comparison to any of the other three mentioned. And there is the PT, which can be had for around $14. Sorry, but I don't see the value here. Not the worse buy under $14K in the car world, but at $16K it has to be way overpriced.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Go look and feel all the hard plastic in a Corolla. Newsflash : hard plastic is the norm in small cars. The car is fairly priced and incentives will likely bring it down to your $14K value level anyway.
  • cooticooticooticooti Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1997 cavalier almost 3 years for $1,400 and vowed to stay with it forever. But when the Cobalt was released I did my research, and am going this weekend to finalize a sale for a new black 5 Speed Cobalt with power everything for $11,750. For that money, power, and "upgrade", hard to beat it.
  • karen5000000karen5000000 Member Posts: 3
    My cousin just bought a Sedan Cobalt. It came power everything with a sunroof for 17,000 and she got it for 15,000. I got to drive it, and I love it. The parts do not look "plastic." They look new. It is comparable to the Honda Civic in size. You would be amazed that a german shepard, a baby, myself, and my three hundred pound six foot father could fit so comfortably inside. I loved this car so much that I am going to purchase one soon.
    Hopefully word on this car spreads. Many import owners will think Cavalier update rather than all new competitive car.

Nice to hear from owners and magazines that Chevy FINALLY has a good compact.
    Enjoy the new car(s) Sounds like you are really sold and selling on these new compacts from Chevy. Driving is fun and if it is in the car you like, that's a beautiful thing. Good to see enthusiasm for cars these days. Was a time when I thought people lost interest in cars and driving. Vanman1, and others here on Edmund's boards seem to be revved up again. Too bad there are not more driving clubs. I do some driving with a Miata club, and see some Corvettes on the road so some groups actually drive the cars. PT Cruiser clubs look interesting. I assume there is no chance of a Cobalt driving club. I bet there are Internet chat clubs though. Have fun!
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I will bet you anything you will see some Solstice clubs pop up real soon.

Cobalt, who knows...
  • dave37dave37 Member Posts: 3
    Came by your post and thought you might like more Cobalt info. I researched the Cobalt hard. I bought my son a black LS Coupe: sunroof, Pioneer sound system, sport package, 4speed auto w/overdrive. $18,900 sticker. You can get into a coupe or sedan, manual tran with the basics for $14,190. The 2.2 is alittle flat at mid-range RPM's, however, this little car can make the pass when you push on it. The interior is simple and stylish. The headliner good, It has a mode type information center: coolant temp, outside temp, mileage, mpg, two trip settings etc. The pioneer sound is very good. plays MP3,s too. ( simple files only ) Gas mileage is supposed to be around 32mpg with the auto. He's got 320 miles on it and it's at 26mpg now. My research revealed people complaining of the following: Gas gauge not going to full when filled - it does, give it a couple of minutes. Steering not returning to center - haven't seen that but, it does seem to favor the left slightly. Stereo failing into "Locked" mode. I did read in the manual this is a safety feature - if someone tries to remove the radio it locks itself. Chevy dealer can reset if this happens. If you would like more info, I'll post again.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    I live in the Upper Penninsula of MI. We had our central UP car show at the Superior Dome in Marquette. I drove a two door cobalt and it was fantastic. The fit and finish was impecable and the car already had 3,500 miles from multiple test drives at the dealership. Our roads suck up here so that speaks volumes regarding quality. I have seen people break tie rods on potholes at 25mph. Extremely brisk of line for a four cylinder, but still flat in the mid-range even with a stick, but I think it may be even flatter with the auto. I did notice that it was a little soft in at center. Radio excellent. This was a fully loaded two door. I own a 99 GA with the same ecotec 4 and this is 5hp more and definitley lighter...ie faster. The model I drove with it's options....sport package, sunroof, pioneer stereo was 15,200 on road ttl included. The dealer is a good friend of mine. He tells me all the dirt. What is a good car and what is a bad car. He said that this is way better built than the new malibu. Just my humble experience.
    I like the spoiler on the performance package versus the wing on the SS. Is the wing even really functional at that height? I mean who is going to be winding up their SS at a speed where the need the spoiler? Do the wing and the spoiler use the same holes? Could the wing be removed and a spoiler from the performance package be put in it's place. It is hard to tell from the pictures. Any thoughts?
    Tell the truth. You can research any pricing you want on the net, dealer friend or not: Frei Chevrolet in Marquette has basic a Cobalt coupe with $1,575.00 worth of options and $565.00 destination charges that stickers for $15,765.00. That does not include ttl. No one is going to get into the Coupe for $15,200 with the options you listed. Not without putting down some good cash.
    Yes, and wind is functional at that height. May help keep the trunk lid down after grocery shopping ;-) Maybe the backs of these cars have lift at say 120 MPH... I am not gonna test it to see. Could also serve as a lunch tray at tail gate parties. Looks sporty, and keeps ya up with the neighbors kids custom cars. A wing also gives those that don't like'em something to [non-permissible content removed] about, so they are happy!
    It is truly useful in many ways. Really, people ought to lighten up and just do some fun stuff with cars. That is unless the wind is so big it slows down the car, or blocks out the sun, or worse raises the front wheels off the ground - oh the horrors! They won't sell many SS models give the price being up there with Acura and such. Heck, you could buy a RWD Stang for that much too. The Cobalt is something you get for $14K, drive the heck out of, and enjoy it for what it is.

Loren
    "The Cobalt is something you get for $14K, drive the heck out of, and enjoy it for what it is"

Totally disagree. Having tested the car I will tell you it's as good as any of the best small cars out there in terms of performance, build and refinement.

This is no Cavalier!!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Think there was a question about this about 20+ posts back.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/oillife_monitor_041603.ht- ml

The system looks at overall driving pattern, not just miles driven. Somewhere (couldn't find it this time) there's another web page that has animation showing how the process works.
    When I mentioned the 15,200 on the road ttl. It was just an estimate. I am sure that was rough numbers, not including the interest from any loan. I noticed your math and the destination charge removed equals just about the qoute I was given. I went to high school with this guy and his dad owns the dealership...we have dinner monthly. I am sure that he is willing to wave the destination charge and probably cover my ttl. Our area runs on three major business/companies. 1) Northern Michigan University 2) Marquette General Hospital and 3) The mines up the road in Negaunee and Ishpeming. None of these businesses are doing well and therefore people are not buying many new cars. They are motivated to sell them....even if they have to do some by covering destination charges and ttl. I am telling the truth...also we had a large car show (No I am not comparing us to the big car shows) and it is very competitive locally. (Dealerships from 2 cities compete and often do the most sales at the car show and right after....they want to make sales in front of hundreds of people to give the impression that the customer must buy now because the cars are "moving".)I know that you can look up invoices and prices online. Do you really think I would post a fictional price when obvously many of these people are informed and passionate about this topic? Please don't treat me like a juvenile...I am not. I just really like this car and was posting a deal that I had offered to me to help others negotiate price.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    My local Chevy dealer will give me a price for an automatic base coupe w/ABS+Side Airbags for ~$14,500. I can live without the power windows, etc.

But, I can get a automatic 5-Door Elantra GLS LOADED for the same price. Power everything, keyless entry, better stereo, etc.

Hmm. Which to chose?
    Cobalt.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    The car we ordered from the factory on March 2 was just delivered to the dealer in CT today - much faster than anticipated. Pick it up on Fri or Sat.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    From my "comparator" research here on Edmunds, I've pretty much determined that a basic Cobalt compares well to the Corolla CE and Civic DX/VP sedans. It's cheaper, more powerful, more spacious (except front headroom), and has better warranties. The only downside is fuel economy, the Civic/Corolla each get 38mpg on the highway, which is significantly higher than the Cobalt's number. Car is for my s/o. I would be happier to see her in an Elantra, though, for the lower price, the certain features (cassette instead of CD, std power windows and locks,) and the 10yr/100K warranty on the powertrain.

Anyone have a lot of miles on their Cobalts yet? Like 15-20K? Anyone doing courier work or something? S/O is going to be traveling all over the southern US with this thing and will probably put 40-50K a year on it.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Only the Corolla, with side air bags, and the Cobalt, with side air bags, pass the IIHS.org side impact crash tests; both cars have strong enough bodies to withstand a side impact by a small pickup or small SUV.

The Corolla has an excellent repair record. The Cobalt has a much stronger, quieter engine.

"Real world" gas mileage is likely to be closer than the numbers indicate. I got 32 mpg on road trips with a Cavalier with the same 2.2 Ecotec engine and a stick shift. Automatics, regardless of brand, are always significantly lower (subtract 3-5 mpg).

It's worth searching out side impact airbags. It's worth ordering a lightly equipped model with side air bags, and Chevy does orders better than Toyota.

If you are putting 40-50k a year on it, residual value after 3-5 years isn't that different although it will favor the Corolla.

I'd rather have the longer Cobalt warranty. That and the ability to order one the way I wanted would tip me to the Cobalt. I would buy from a great dealer, though, one that will back me up on the inevitable minor warranty matters that will pop up during the first 30k miles.

Finally, I'd rather have my SO in an American car, than an import, driving over the Southern US. There is still some residual dislike of imported cars once you are outside the coasts.
    You will also more easily find service for a Chevy than a Hyundai in a small town. GM dealers are everywhere!

Power comes with a price, the extra ponies do suck a bit more gas.

Crash test scores on the Cobalt are top notch. If safety is a concern, the Cobalt is the best choice.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    That article on the GM Oil Life System was really interesting. GM has certainly not trumpeted this seemingly worthwhile feature. I've always taken the middle road (half-way between 3,000 and 7,500 mile).
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I have the GM Oil Life System in my Grand Prix. Works great, I always follow it. I don't know of any other car makers that even have such a feature.
    Sorry. I did not mean to imply that you are juvenile. Trolls do get mean sometimes. I would only like to say the Cobalt you described is approx $19,391.00, including ttl. If the dealer that made you the offer you posted still has the car and you still love it, he is willing to drop approx $4,191.00 to get you in it for $15,200.00. You should go make that deal right away and have fun with your new Cobalt. Even if you do not need a car, that's a huge deal.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know where I can find a link to a Chevrolet Cobalt SEDAN First Drive/Full Test on edmunds.com? I've already read the SS coupe test. I'm glad that Chevy has finally hit a success. I see a lot of potential for the Cobalt. It can now compete with class leaders like Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Honda Civic. The Cavalier should have been replaced or redesigned back in 2000, not in 2005. The Cavalier model had been there since 1995! Ten years!
    The true value is in fact what they are able to sell the car for. You will find that GM and Ford will price somewhere around $3k to $5k over what they actually intend to get for their products. Honda usually comes down a few hundred, to maybe a grand, unless something is really not moving well for them. Toyota usually comes down $1k to as much as $2k, unless it is a real expensive car. May be possible to do a little better on fleet pricing. Anyway, the point is the selling price sticker on GM and Ford is way over what I would ever expect to pay. I own a Corolla and it is far superior to the Olds Achieva. There is no comparison to how the interior held up, no water leaks, no 8 to 10 trips to the dealer to fix this and that. The steering does not go flaky light when up to speed on freeways, it is not leaking water on the floor board, paint is not coming off the bumpers, plastic parts are not popping off, and the car looks newer at 7 yrs of age than the Olds did at 4 yrs of age. The Achieva had more HP, so it was faster. A Cobalt may be faster than some other cars, and maybe an advantage here or there, but I would not put it in the same class Japanese cars. It is just a beast of a different nature. It could even be more fun to drive. I am sure there are some advantages to Chevy, but over the years I have come to accept the differences between cheap and value - what is fun and what is practical and inexpensive to own in the long run. Honda HX can get between 44 and 48MPG with ease on the freeway. Heck, my Corolla with an automatic got over 40 MPG one time. As they age, the figure may be 36 to 38 MPG - still awesome.
    Loren
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There is a full Car and Driver test this month on the newstands. In about a month it will be available on the online edition. The report is glowing. I am happy for Chevy. Given the side crash tests at IIHS.org, the Cobalt would be on my short list of small cars worth buying, until the new Honda Civic comes out (and we see how it crash tests)and until the 06' Jetta is tested. Now if only GM would run with the good IIHS PR (public relations) and make side curtain airbags standard (they are an available option). I think they have their heart in the right place - for years the Cavalier had standard ABS - but right now the studies indicate ABS doesn't save nearly as many lives as side curtain air bags (not side torso airbags, which don't improve your odds that much).

If GM won't make them standard, I hope they get them on at least 25% of the lightly optioned, less expensive Cobalts out there so working moms have a safer choice in a small car. They are only about a $300 option.
    Sorry to get aggressive, that is what the dealer told me...I did some investigation and the car had been a car that was test driven for a month by a gm employee....He only put 1500 miles on it. Apparently he is a high level engineer and they get 3 months behind the wheel of every new production car as part of their contract. He unfortunately was gone on vacation for two months of his period. So the miles were very low and that is where the huge discount came in. He did not receive that info until I went back and questioned the price of the car. So really we were both right. He also said that he really shouldn't have included the tax in his ttl he just threw that term around w/o defining it. But really it is still a good deal. I am trying to swing the payment but we just had a baby and my wife is not back to work yet/attempting to transfer to a new office. No love lost dave37
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for replying.

I already checked the Car and Driver review, and the report was good. I'm surprised edmunds.com hasn't done a first/drive full test on the Cobalt sedan. It's March of 2005 already. Here they are doing tests on 2006 models, Infiniti M45/M35 Lexus G2300/400 Honda Ridgeline, Mitsubishi Evolution, BMW 3 series. Did they forget about the poor Cobalt? Of the cars I mentioned, the Cobalt is the mos boring, yet it will appeal to most Americans who needs inexpensive transportation. I hope Chevrolet brings out an SS version of the sedan to compete with the Mazda 3. The Cobalt is such a huge improvement over the aging Cavalier,they should have released it a long time ago. Watch out Corolla, Civic, and Focus! Chevrolet is back!!!
    They just love to review fully loaded $30K + cars instead of the "poorer of working class" models. A car magazine which tested both the base and optional engine cars would be refreshing. Edmund's and MSN Auto do some testing of more lowly models, which is a good thing. Pick up a typical mag. and you will see a review of the 911 vs. Corvette. While I like both cars, I would have to buy one quite a few years old. I take it only the rich and the wannabees buy car mags these days? I like the Consumer Reports to see what the owners rated the cars. Not sure about Consumers reviews as they sometimes hit the mark, while other times they seem biased. I recall back in around 1976 a review on the Olds Cutlass, and they did not like the tire pressure. I am serious. When you test a car don't you use the exact pressure as recommended, and thus would fill it up yourself. They had a thing about slamming GM. Maybe they are over that now. Fact is the time to slam GM occurred later around that time, but not over tire pressure. That was the beginning of the end. If they test the Mazda3 against the Cobalt I assume Mazda will win overall, and particularly in Zoom-Zoom ability. Looks better inside too. Personally, the Mazda3 judging from the forum here, does have some first and second year bugs, so maybe a third year car, as in '06 would be a best choice. I don't know if I like the electric assist steering. Some are reporting a noise being generated in the steering system. I can do without electric steering and electronic throttle (which hopefully is not on any of these two cars) a cable is fine and works for me. The Cobalt is a pretty good evolution of the Chevy small car and perhaps less cavalier in overall build. Now a revolution car could have been a new Nova III with rear wheel drive. That would be a statement that Chevy has a Honda and Toyota killer on the loose. Could have a sweet straight six with say 200HP selling for under $20k and a i4 just like the one they are using now, and selling for $16K but in a rear wheel drive car with fresh new and perhaps a little retro styling of a Nova III. Hey, maybe even have a V8 and compete with the Mustang. Now there is a car that is selling. The Chrysler 300 and Magnum are selling. See a trend there, as in RWD? Heck a mid-engine Corvair would be cool. A Corvair Monza coupe for 2006 - cool ! Drive that baby to Ralph Nadar for President rallies -- woo-hoo!!! If they pull off the Solstice and can make money on it, or even break even, maybe that is the boost GM needs. I do not see too many G6 on the road, and I am not sure about the sales of Cobalt. They sorta meld with all the rest, so it is hard to pick them out going down the freeway. Maybe they are selling. Certainly better than the Monte Carlo and Malibu. Poor Malibu got it's name stolen and put on an econo FWD car. A crime has been committed. This is my opinion - I realize others see it all differently, which is fine too. Remember what Lee said, " Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Hummm? The PT first followed by the Chevy version coming out soon.... looks like GM listened. I think its called the HHR or something. Anyway, it is late to the table, IMHO.

Loren
    I'm sort of tired also of the car mags just testing the high-performance cars. At least Car & Driver and especially Consumer Reports test more plebeian vehicles.

What's your beef about CR complaining 29 years ago about a car's tire pressure? They used to list sample defects, and my guess is the car was delivered with severely under- or overinflated tires. In the 70s, CR generally preferred GM cars over Fords or Chryslers. Some Chrysler products of the era used to rack up 40 or so defects per vehicle.

When CR stopped reporting on sample defects a few years ago, the rate was down to 0 to 2 per vehicle.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Which dealer? I'm in Plainfield.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Have had the car (LS sedan) for a day now and 115 miles. It is very nice, Fit and finish are good, everything is tight, dealer prep was fine (for lostwrench-Fairfield). We ordered the car from the factory on March 2nd and it was delivered on the 22nd - very fast. One interesting quirk and one annoying miss. They've programmed the engine to drop RPM's very slowly when clutch is pushed in; takes some geting used to. A wind whistle from the driver's window area manifesting at about 30 MPH but doesn't get louder with more speed. I suppose that's why we have the sub-woofer option.
    Wow, electric steering assist. Does it sing to you? I hear that some do in Mazda3 cars. I could do without that. Next thing you know, they will make the throttle by wire too. You can get some weird problems with those. I wonder if Consumer Reports has found out that air can be added to tires, and a tire gauge is available for $3 so people can, or should I say, should check and adjust if needed air in tires every couple weeks to every month depending on use and climate. When you pick up your new car from the dealership, or the local fast lube, I could assure you that 9 out of 10 times the air level is off in one or more tires. When doing track testing, they should be spot on at the time of testing. I like CR for the customer surveys, and will read some of their car reports, which I must say do find some problem areas in cars, and enlighten one on what they find as possible good points.They did find some issues in the Dodge Stealth which were right on the mark. I owned one, and had those problems, or annoyances. So, if you read say three different reviews, do a road test or two yourself, you may have the best shot at sorting it all out.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    I currently own a 2004 Cavalier LS, with 6,000 miles, which I really like and plan to keep for a while.

While the Cavalier was at the dealership for routine maintenance, I took a look at the new Cobalts, and they really are lightyears ahead of the Cavalier. If I enjoy the Cavalier, I know I would enjoy the Cobalt. Interior is worlds improved! My dealership had a good amount, but only sedans.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    Automatic coupes are pretty easy to find around here now, except none of them come with side-impact airbags. I think with the results of the recent tests they'll start shipping them to the lot equipped with them.

If I was to order the Coupe w/side air right now they said it would take over a month to get it.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    I'm finally starting to see some sedans on the road. They look OK but have too much overhang in the front. Make it look a little weird and imbalanced. The front wheels should have been pushed a couple of inches forward.
    Edmunds listed an article that showed an aftermarket parts producer is starting to offer a hood with scoop and ground effects kits for now with more equipment later. This does bode well for the cobalt if already they are going to offer kits to upgrade your cobalt. I would love to see more enigne/exhaust/suspension/tire kits. :)
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    I think the Cobalt looks fantastic as is. One of the sharpest looking small cars on the road, nothing weird at all?

If I was looking today I would buy one in a heartbeat.
  • charlie_bcharlie_b Member Posts: 19
    anyone know how big the air conditioner is and how well it works? i was reading about the colorados and people are complaining that the AC is far too small and doesn't work well. i live in south mississsippi and must have an adequate AC for high heat and high humidity.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    It seems that chevy wants to bleed you for some cash if you want side air bags. On the base sedan you must purchase antilock brakes to order an airbag. I believe that saturn offered the airbag as a stand aone option.Also, Hyndai or Kia will bump you up to 4 wheel disc if you order antilock.Does antone have a comment good or bad regarding GM's antilock useing disc and drum combination.I don't know much about brakes. I know that disc /drum performance would be fine for the way I drive. However, is a disc/drum antilock system less reliable than an all disk antilock system. My concern , is that if the antilock system works so fast , wouldn't it be better to have on off control of simalar (all disk) brake mechanisim than disk and drum which grab differently. Can the timing and balance work out as well.
    Well, I had them on my '97 Camry 4-cylinder, and have them on my '04 Camry 4-cylinder, and they work fine. I have not had a problem, either in use or in reliability.

I do think it's a cheap-out on the part of the manufacturers not to offer disks all around. My 1980 Volvo had 4-wheel disks and so did my '90 Mercury Sable (which had optional ABS as well).
    I prefer 4 wheel disk brakes. As for anti-lock, if they come with a car, that's OK I guess. If it is part of a package to get traction control, like on a Mustang, that is the deal. I normally just go with what ever is stock. Best brake system is to always look well ahead of you while driving and try to determine what is going on, and have an escape route when possible. If braking or steering out of trouble is not possible, use an appropriate cuss word, then call 911. I have been driving since, I guess it is 1968, and have not hit any car so far. :D

Loren
    I generally like Mark butI think he is a bit harsh on the car for some loose trim and I wrote him to tell him that. He stuck by his rating bat did get back to me on my note which was nice. Usually don't get a reply from these guys.
    Seems to be a little nit picking in my opinion. When I first was made aware of the Cobalt article, I thought there were some significant quality issues.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    Most reports I have seen on the Cobalt have been positive. I am going to check it out and keep an eye on it's progress.It seems to have all the basics covered; safety ,performance handling , fuel economy, interior quality, and decent styling.The fact that the engine and transmission are not brand new should be a big plus for reliability.I think it takes a long time for the software to catch up when mating a brand new transmision.People will nit pick, but they ought to take all the positive comments,(like one of the queitest cars in it's class), seriously. I hope the Cobalt does well. It is on my short list of cars to consider.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    good to hear the wing is optional. Wonder what speed you have to drive at to actually make it useful?

And yes, , many folks love wings...and usually have huge wheels and razor thin tires to go with it. it's their car, their money, and they should have opportunity to buy it! More power to them, and to the mechanic that fixes the stuff after regular roads bang it up.

Then again, C&D is sponsoring a racetrack competition in a number of cities this year...wonder how many SS's will be there?
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Did you guys know that Powell Motorsport races the Cobalt SS in Grand-Am Cup? I can't get enough of sports car racing. Here is a picture of it from earlier this season.

By the way, I didn't like the Cavalier, but the Cobalt seems pretty nice.