Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need Information about MPG on Chevy Diesel vs Gasoline 2500

jdtruckjdtruck Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
We are shopping for a 2002 truck to pull a 25ft camping trailer and want to know which get better mileage and which is the most economic between Diesel and Gasoline. Looking at Silverado extended Cab C2500.

Comments

• leviflevif Member Posts: 2
    I went from a 454 gas to the duramax and I get 25% to 35% better mileage with the diesel. I have the Crew Cab 4X4 short box and I get 20 to 21.5 empty on the highway and pulling a 10,000 lb. 35 foot trailer at 70pmh I get 10 to 11mpg. There is not a hill on Interstate 81 that I can't pull at 70mph and still get 25% to 35% better millage than I did with the 454 gas and with the gas there are many of those hill 50 to 55 mph was the best I could do.
    Buy the Diesel !! For 14,519 on my truck now the overall average mpg is 12.8 and 3/4 of those miles have the trailer attached.
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    I pull a 28' 5th wheel (about 9,000 pounds wet) plus a boat on occasion. Recently moved from a 2001 Silverado gas to a 2003 Silverado DuraMax diesel. The difference is astounding! Towing mileage is easily 40% better, power/torque on grades is effortless where the gasser struggled, and the Allison transmission is so smart it's almost spooky!

You'll pay more for the diesel, but it's worth every dime!

Hans
  • bsparks1bsparks1 Member Posts: 6
    Does that go for Suburbans too? I'm looking at a very clean '95 Suburban with diesel 6.5 l. I've got a '96 E350 diesel as my work truck, and no experience with GM diesels. Why don't they put them in the Suburban/Tahoe anymore?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    correct me if im wrong, but i remember hearing that they were having a hard time stuffing the Duramax into the Subs and even if they did it would be a detuned motor mated to a 4-speed tranny not the Alison 5-speed. Havent heard anything about it lately, but thats what i have heard in the past.
    Tom
  • brunopesbrunopes Member Posts: 1
    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR BSPARKS. THE CHEVY DIESEL 6.5 IS NOT THE DIESEL TO BUY!!! THIS WAS THE WORST ENGINE EVER MADE WITH MULTIPLE PROBLEMS THAT STILL CANT GET FIXED. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE INJECTOR PUMP PROBLEM, THATS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW, IT DOESNT WORK ALTHOUGH CHEVY TRIED TO EXTEND THE WARRANTY IT STILL DOESNT LAST LONG, TRUST ME I HAD 2 OF THEM SAME YEAR 95 SOLD 1 AND JUST BROUGHT 1 TO THE SHOP LAST WEEK. 495.00 LATER STILL HARD TO START AND STALLS OUT. THAT WAS WITH THE WARRANTY, IMAGINE IF YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET. FORGET IT, I AM GETTING THE NEW DURAMAX ON SATURDAY. SEE HOW THAT GOES. STAY AWAY FROM THE OLD CHEVY DIESEL
  • bsparks1bsparks1 Member Posts: 6
    Brunopes- thanks very much. That's the kind of info I can't get anywhere else.

Ben
  • bluegrass1bluegrass1 Member Posts: 50
    Is anyone having problems with the new duramax/Allisons? Also have you heard if they are going to increase the power/torque of the '04 to match the Fords and Dodges?
    Thanks
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    That GM is putting a variable vane turbocharger in the Duramax staring in mid 04. This is the same type that Ford uses in the new powerstroke.
    As far as problems, I have heard horror stories from individual owners of all 3.
    If I am not mistaken, the current DMax already has more hp and torque than the Cummins in the Dodge, especially if you but an auto tranny, Dodge has to detune the cummins because they don't yet have an auto tranny to handle 500ft. lbs.
    If you are interested in a comparo Pickuptruck.com has an excellent comparison. The new Ford is the clear winner in overall power, with GM second, and Dodge third. In the end however, you need to realize all of these trucks have tons of power, my decision would be based more on reliabilty. In that vane, Ford's engine is brand new as well as the tranny, I would wait 2 years and let them work out the bugs on someone else. GM had to do that with the DMax/Allison, and now they make a great truck. Dodge has a proven reliable engine, (although with recent significant upgrades) but a proven problematic transmission (automatic), in a brand new truck design, again I would wait 2 years on the new truck, and 2 years from whenever they get a better auto tranny.
    If you look at the latest specs, for Hp/torque, here is how it is:
    Ford = 325/560, Dodge = 305/555, and Chevy 300/520.
    Unless you know of an update, this is my latest info on the three. This makes Chevy look kinda bad. Dodge is just barely less powerful than ford. One thing Dodge has going for it is they get theirs at a much lower RPM than the other two.
    I pull 9500 5th wheel and looking for the best of the three. Reliability wise, I suspect one is as good as the other, that is after Ford gets their problems fixed.
    PS - Dodge at first didnt offer their HO engin with an automatic but they do now.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Now that Dodge has an auto tranny out for the HO Cummins, I would personally wait at least 2 years to see if they are going to be reliable. Especially based on their history with auto trannies in the trucks.
    As far as the power numbers go, they do not necessarily reflect how the trucks perform.
    See http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html, for the diesel review I was talking about. Ford clearly has a power advantage right now, but Dodge and Chevy performed very similarly, and I think Chevy was actually better in 2 of the 3 tests with the 12,000 lb. trailer attached.
    Yes Catam, I had read that article, very good. Wonder why they used a Dodge with 4:10 rear end and the others with 3:73??
    I want to buy a new truck by the end of this year. If I use your criteria for choosing one, it would have to be Chevy. The Fords and Dodges would be too new and unproven. From what I can read, the Ford tranny is almost a duplicate of the Allison. The Dodge is one I have no info on. I'll say this for Dodge, they have really improved their trucks in the past 2-3 yrs and I would hope they put a lot of thought into this new tranny. Man its tough making decisions on these trucks, you read all kinds of nasty things about them all.
    Thanks for your input.
  • tkrtommtkrtomm Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2003 Chevy 2500-HD crew cab 4x4 short box LT with the 6.0 gas at 300 HP. I can only get 12.7 MPG without towing a trailer. My friend at work has the exact same truck with the 6.0 Duramax diesel. He gets 17.4 miles per gallon without a trailer. You'll pay more for the diesel, but you get your money back in the long run with the better fuel economy. If i'm not mistaken, diesel is usually cheaper than regular unleaded.
  • alaskan1alaskan1 Member Posts: 1
    Presently own a Dodge 1500 with a 318, towing is terrible and so is fuel mileage. I'm buying a new truck and have a few questions. Maybe you can help. I have a cabin 100 miles away and go there on weekends, sometimes empty, sometimes with 1000 pounds, sometimes with a 5 snowmachime trailer loaded. I hear such a wide range of mileage stories. Has anyone used a calculator? empty? towing?
    What is the difference in Chevorlet vs. GMC trucks?
    Does the tow package electrical connector come with provisions for electric trailer brakes? with a wire to charge the trailer battery?
    Must fit vehicle in garage.......anyone know if a crew cab short box is longer than the Dodge short extended cab? How much?
    I own a '99 Dodge Cummins. I pull just a 9K lb 5th wheel RV. Pulling I avg just over 15 mpg. Took a 5K mile trip not pulling and avg just 226.3 mpg. Pulling or not pulling, I drive around 65 mph.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    A friend of mine just recently bought a short box Silverado with the Duramax 6600 engine. His garage is 19 feet long and it won't fit. He must leave it outside. So I think the short box version is something longer than 19 feet long. Just a guess, but I would say the chances are a short box crew cab Silverado will be longer than your extended cab RAM.

By the way, one of his complaints is there's only one axle ratio available with the automatic. Like you, he pulls 4-5 snowmobiles in the winter and ATVs in the summer and he's somewhat disappointed in the pulling power. He drives a Cummings for work during the week so he's got something to compare it to. Plus he's had some problems with the engine and also transmission noise, which he said is common for that configuration.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • jtt3jtt3 Member Posts: 20
    I read that in January Chev/GMC will be coming out with the CC on the extended cab chassis and will have a shorter box ( around 5 1/2 feet )

Im not sure if will be all sizes or just the 1/2 ton trucks.
  • rrotonrroton Member Posts: 5
    I was trying to configure a 2500 on EDMUNDS web site, and they dont even show that a Diesel is available. If fact they say only one engine is available. Do they no longer offer the Diesel in the 2500?
    Were you looking under the 2500, or the 2500HD. This year they are two different trucks. Ive seen 2500 on dealer lots, and 2500HDs. Go back in there and take a look if thats what happened, simple mistake.
    Tom
    Yep...Thats what I did...Thanks
  • bigdav160bigdav160 Member Posts: 1
    "You'll pay more for the diesel, but you get your money back in the long run with the better fuel economy"

Have you done the math? It would probably take 350,000 miles of driving to pay for the diesel/alison option.

Buy the diesel for the torque.
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    ..do a little more math. If you assume that the truck is worth "0" after a few years, your argument rings true. However, look at the value of a 2, 4, 6, or 8 year old diesel rig vs a similar gas machine with the same age and miles. Try to sell a 4yr old HD gas rig with 100K miles. You can't give it away. The exact same truck with diesel power still has good value. You win either way with the diesel. Run enough miles to wear it out and it pays in economy. Sell it before it's worn out and you'll get your diesel "premium" back. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck needs a diesel engine plain and simple. Gas engines belong in light duty trucks.
    PERSONALLY* i dont think its that simple, but im not gonna get into all the numbers and this or that. Id have to say after owning diesel and gas trucks, its more what the person wants. Bigdav obviously likes gas...great let him get gas. You like diesel as do i...ok we can get diesel. Basically as it has been covered endless times in other boards, it really comes down to what the person wants. Im not arguing that the diesel will be worth more with more miles and age, im just saying it comes down to personal preferance.
  • hdalhdal Member Posts: 1
    First time diesel buyer (business is growing) seeks info on total costs of regular, scheduled maintenance servicing. I'm considering either the '03 F-250 7.3L, or the '03,'04 D/Max. My heart says "Chevy" while my brain says "Ford"-- for the proven PSD. Perhaps they are comparable? Any input is appreciated.
  • unitsupunitsup Member Posts: 4
    I presently own an 03 2500HD Chevy Silverado with the duramax engine and the allison auto transmission. I have previously owned 2 Dodge trucks with the Cummins diesel engine. The cummins diesel is a very good engine, but the Dodge trucks left a lot to be desired. I have about 18k miles on the duramax right now. I have averaged 17.8 miles per gallon since I drove it away from the dealership. This is accurate. I have tracked every fill up on my palm pilot. Most of the time I run empty. I have pulled trailers about 300 miles of this. My fuel mileage drops 3 or 4 miles per gallon when towing. My mileage has been as high as 22 miles per gallon when traveling on the interstate at 70 MPH. This truck is by far the best I have ever owned. It is quiet and comfortable. I highly recommend the duramax/allison combination.
    I am considering an 04 Duramax/Allison.
    I have been reading about two problems with GM trucks. A vibration problem, and a problem with the bed which requires a reinforcement kit if you want to put a toolbox or ladder rack in it.
    Does anyone know if the 04 model still has these problems.
This discussion has been closed.