Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• dragracerdragracer Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 denali, my problems are it will idle fine then it will surge up and down around 200-300 rpms. The interior lights will also bright and dim as this surge happens. Never hesitates upon acceleration or runs rough. Just sometimes it will surge a few hundred rpms. Next problem, it sounds like a spark knock when you start it. It happens just for instant when it cranks. Any ideas? Please respond
  • crzyaimcrzyaim Member Posts: 58
    We just purchased a new 05 Denali last weekend. The dealer said the smell we were smelling was all the new parts burning off the new car smell. Well the smell has not gone away with almost 1000 miles on it. I can't roll down the windows with out the raw gas smell over powering the cabin. We occasionally smell it with the air conditioner on, but mostly when the windows are rolled down. I'm finding that I notice it more when I accelerate, but it can be smelt just at cruising speeds on the freeway. The smell is not constant. We can smell it for a few minutes then it dissipates, and returns at any given time. It is making me sick to my stomach. The dealer looked at it last week and said "visually" they can't see any plastic stuck to anything and didn't know what it was. I am bringing it back tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? I want to go in with as much information as possible. I don't want to be told they can't duplicate it. Besides this, we love the truck. If I could just get rid of the headache it causes me when I drive it....
  • pathfinder2pathfinder2 Member Posts: 3
    Please get this taken care of ASAP. I had a 99 Denali that had a faint antifreeze smell which the dealer never properly took care of. At 45,000 I had a blown headgasket that a regular mechanic said was defective right from the factory. My problems only got worse. Please remember that with the Denali it is never the last problem. Good luck and stay safe. I now drive a Pathfinder.
  • tunemantuneman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 denali xl and my rear radio control panel is not working. Has anybody experienced this same problem? I have looked at the fuse box but it appears that it might be linked to another fuse because I cannot fine a fuse specifically for rear radio controls. Could it be that the control panel itself is bad?
    Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
  • artcruz62artcruz62 Member Posts: 2
    Dear GMwrench,

I have a 1999 yukon and am experiencing the exact problem you described. I have spent a lot of time and money and the problem still exists. Before going to the dealer I want to know more. Did you ever find out the problem?

Help!!
    Thanks,
    ArtCruz62
  • fireman3fireman3 Member Posts: 3
    I have this same problem. I have replaced the flasher, check and replaced all fuses with no results. It has been suggested that it could be the harness in the column, but hesitant on replacing the harness.
  • ironreupironreup Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 XL Denali and it isn't even 2 weeks old yet and was making the exact same noise! They thought it was the self-leveling system and replaced it with a brand new one...they noise still existed. Finally they pulled of a document ID Number from GMC that talked about this exact same noise. The document states that the possible problem is the rear thermal expansion valve (TXV). The only repair is to replace the TXV per SI document ID # 594045 ( your GM dealer will know what this is). This noise may affect 2004-2005 GMC XL, XL Denali.
    We just got our Denali back today and we haven't heard a peep so far...hopefully this helps you.
  • swangqwertswangqwert Member Posts: 1
    Have you ever got this problem fixed? I own a 2003 Tahoe and I had this problem since Oct 2003. I went to the dealer about 9 times so far, every time they told me it's fixed. After couple months, the problem came back. Now the car is no longer under warrenty.
  • artcruz62artcruz62 Member Posts: 2
    Please Help!! My 99 yukon has the exact same symptoms. Did you get any answers?

I'd like to know before taking it to the dealer. My local mechanic thinks it something called tight valves.

Thanks
  • big22sbig22s Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE READ ACTUALLY HUNDREDS, HEARD ABOUT THE SAME, ABOUT THE XL DINALI. 1ST OFF, THERE IS NO, NO, PERFECT CAR. IF THERE WAS , WE ALL WOULD BUY ONE. I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL SUV'S, FROM MY JEEP CHERROKE LTD, TO MY RANGE ROVER, WHICH I SOLD.
    FOR ABOUT 50K, TOTAL, I GOT A NEW 2004, YUKON XL DINALI. THIS CAR IS ABOUT A 8-9, ON A 10 SCALE. EVERYTHING IS THERE. I ORDERED A FULLY LOADED XL DINALI, AND PUT 22'S ON IT AND I LOVE IT.
    REMEMBER, THIS YUKON XL DINALI, IS A FULL-SIZE SUV. AGAIN, IF LOOKING FOR A FULL-SIZE SUV, THIS IS THE CAR. IT HAS ALL-WHEEL DRIVE, LIKE MY RANGE ROVER, BUT NOT THE INTERIOR SIZE I NEEDED IN A, AGAIN FULL-SIZE SUV. INSIDE, THE 2 TONE LEATHER, LOOKS AND FEELS FINE. IT HAS POWER, AND THE BRAKES TO MATCH. PLUS , IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!
    NOW IF YOU WANT TO BE PICKY, ANYONE, MYSELF INCLUDED, CAN FIND SOMETHINGS TO GRIPE ABOUT. THIS IS ALSO TRUE FOR MY RANGE ROVER. FOR A FULLY LOADED XL DINALI, WHAT MORE CAN ONE ASK FOR.
    ALL CREATURE COMFORTS AND MORE, ARE THERE. I AM VERY PLEASED W/THIS SUV. SURE IT CREEKS AND COULD BE BETTER IN FIT AND FINISH, BUT, AGAIN, FOR ALL YOU GET, ONE CANNOT COMPLAIN.
    MY PERSONAL FALIURE IN THIS SUV, IS NO PARKTRONIC!!!!!
    FOR A SUV THIS SIZE, GMC NEEDS TO PUT PARKTRONIC ON IT. NOW FOR ABOUT $1000.00, I HAVE A FACTORY LOOKING PARKING SYSTEM.
    ALTHOUGH MY DINALI IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD,(BOUGHT IN AUG), THE CAR HAS HAD 2 OIL CHANGES TO I, AND THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS A FAULTY AIR-PRESSURE SENSOR. BESIDES THAT, I AM VERY,VERY,PLEASED IN MY PURCHACE.
    REMEMBER, YOU ARE NOT GETTING A ROLLS-ROYCE, OR A YUGO. YOU ARE GETTING THE BEST FULL-SIZE, SUV OUT THERE.
  • big22sbig22s Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004 YUKON XL DINALI. I HAVE PUT ON A DIFFERENT SET OF WHEELS AND TIERS.
    THE ORIG, TIRES HAVE LESS THAN 100 MILES ON THEM. THEY ARE IN PERFECT CONDITION.
    THE ONLT CATCH, (IF YOU CALL IT ONE), IS THAT I WILL SELL YOU THE WHEEL AND TIES AS A COMPLETE SET. THE WHEELS ARE TOO IN PREFECT CONDITION. IF INTERESTED, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT ...ONETAP1@AOL.COM......THANK YOU, TIMOTHY
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    I'm still at a lost for a good full size SUV. The Denali looks good, but seeing all these problems scares me. The GM employee discount for everyone program has got me set to get an 05 Denali, but I'm not sure. The Navigator isn't worth the extra grand in my opinion, the Escalade is a Denali and not worth shelling out an extra 8 grand. The Range Rover is to costly considering it has problems as well. A freind got one for the name more then anything and has had a host of electrical problems. The QX56 is my favorite, but that truck has major mechanical issues. The Lexus LX 470 seems to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality, but the designed is dated and that truck is over 70 grand now. Some one help with suggestions. Like most here I'm busy with work and family and the last thing I need is problem transportation.
  • frank310frank310 Member Posts: 47
    Check the bulb sockets on rear tail lights. You might notice rust in one of them, that's what I had on my 05 DXL. If thats not it then you might need the wire harness in the steering column, had that on a 1982 Monte Carlo.
  • dominogsxrdominogsxr Member Posts: 1
    when you had this bearing problem... did it make you SERVICE RIDE CONTROL warning appear?
  • jalahjalah Member Posts: 1
    RE: Grinding noises...

I too have a 2001 Denali doing the very same thing. I pulled into the Dealership out of town while traveling. They informed me that the wrong type of oil was used in the transfer case. The 2001 model is the only model that uses ATF type 3. It is recommended for the 2001 model only. When a different oil is used in the transfer case service, it dries out when heated and ruins the clutch system within the transfer case. The filter in the transfer case gets clogged which heats up and creates the grinding of the clutch. I just had my clutch system fixed and have proof of the service where they put the wrong oil in the transfer case. It has only been doing this for 3 months but came out to $2000 to fix. I hope this helps you. Get a sample of the oil and the clogged filter. We are seeing if this is covered under warranty or errors and ommissions by the dealership.
  • jp5888jp5888 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 that had the same problem. They applied an updated computer patch and the problem went away.
  • wally0620wally0620 Member Posts: 1
    I believe that this is a factory defect in your vehicle if it has a GEN III engine and an electronic throttle body. The is a Service Bulletin ID # 1580607 that explains the problem. In simple terms, they used an old intake manifold with an extra IAC passage and this unused passage causes the whistle. Probably would have cost $1.98 per vehicle to design one specifically for this engine.
  • dlevensdlevens Member Posts: 2
    your problem is more than likely carbon buildup in the throttle bore. you can carefully clean the bore with the reccomended GM cleaner, or go to a local lube place where they usually have a kit to clean it($30?).
    Good Luck
  • dlevensdlevens Member Posts: 2
    Monroe now makes replacement shocks for the Denali. Be careful to get the correct GM part number, because Monroe makes 2 different flavors for both the front and rear.
  • nwyukonnwyukon Member Posts: 5
    Reverse on my 2001 Denali just went out at 67000 miles. At the dealer now. Anyone know what to do besides "bite the bullet?"
  • bobrmdbobrmd Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 2001 yukon denali. I only had 21k miles on it and went through 2 sets of brakes and drums with only light use. There is a problem with the antilock brake sensor that had been subject to a recall in canada. I had this problem repaired at my own cost since this recall is not in effect in the US but is under investigation. Apparently, road salt causes corrosion of the antilock sensor which in turn causes the antilock brake mechanism to engage at slow speeds.
    Well needless to say I did not buy another GMC denali.
  • corvaircorvair Member Posts: 1
    We have similar problem....paid dealship $300 for new AC clutch, seals and belt and GUESS WHAT.....Same problem NEXT DAY....Rear AC is out and just waiting for Front to go out....ANY SUGGESTIONS on how you corrected your problems....Appreciate any help...THANKS and Many Thanks for any help.
  • mlemasmlemas Member Posts: 2
    We have a 99 delali and we have had starting probs spread over a couple of years. All related systems ck out ok. Last action taken was a starter relay even though it cked out ok. Battery always cks good, starter cks good, etc. Yesterday after a couple of months of no starting probs, it happened again. If we leave it alone for a fews hours, it will then start up like a champ. The dealer mechanics don't have a clue. Pls let me know if you have similar symtoms, especially if yours starts up after a few hours.
    Thx
  • mlemasmlemas Member Posts: 2
    Just signed up to find out if anyone was having probs starting Denali's. We have 99 w 119K miles, travel a lot.
    We have EXACTLY the same prob you describe. W/o repeating details, we have had 3 tows, only to have it start when it gets to dealer. If we leave it set for a few hrs, it starts. For the record it hasnt happened in AZ, i.e. very dry. It has happened 5 times in NoCA and once in SoCA. Just happened here (NoCA) yesterday. It is humid but nothing like FL.
    Have you had any more info re the prob? Has your dealer called GMC about this? It sounds like something they should have data on.
    Thx
  • pathfinder2pathfinder2 Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Denali could only make it to 70,000 miles. I had 7 repairs between 60,000 and 70,000 miles including being towed twice. The starter, ignition switch and distributor cap all were bad not including all the other issues. I felt very unsafe and ended up calling the GMC telemarketer hot line and that was a joke. Someone is making a lot of money on these constant repairs. I gave up the fight and went import shopping. I now have a Pathfinder. Good luck and stay safe.
  • ssbmgssbmg Member Posts: 7
    I've had the same idling problems for about 2 years now and just blamed it on my aftermarket dual exhaust. As a matter of fact, several mechanics suggested that I take it to a performance shop to have the computer recalibrated to compensate for "backflow" which in turn was supposedly causing my rough idling. After a ton of research, I decided to go the throttle body route and look into having it replaced. Before spending hundreds on that I just wanted to see if it needed to be cleaned. I bought a $6 can of throttle body cleaner at Pep Boys and now my idling problems are GONE! Be forewarned, my engine wouldn't run with the air intake hose disconnected (as the instructions on the cleaner suggest) so I had to spray the cleaner, reconnect the hose, and then run the engine for a couple minutes to flush out the cleaner, then repeat about 6 times (until the can was empty). All in all took me about 30 minutes but for $6 well worth it. Hope this helps.
  • gmcdenaligmcdenali Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 GMC DENALI- 45,000 miles. This was on thursday. Today is Saturday and the sevice stability light came on already! The manual says to shut off truck and turn back on. If message goes away then its ok, if it stays then bring to dealer immediatly. Well it hasn't come back on YET!! They say it could be a problem with stabilitrak. Anyone have similar experience?? I hope the light doesn't come back on but it's alittle scary!!!!! Also I'm not sure what service was done to this vehicle by previous owner any way to find out. If I can't find out What service should I do besides an oil change? HOPE I DIDN'T BUY A :lemon: THANKS FOR ANY REPLY!!
  • dvsdvs Member Posts: 5
    I had a 2003 with the same problem. The dealer sent it to the place who put in the Autostart, saying they used the wrong circuit and it was causing an overload and shutting down the circuit. The shop replaced the module with an updated autostart module. They told me there was nothing wrong with where they wired in the module.
    Sounded like crap to me. After a while it started comming back on. They diagnosed it was the front Differantial and replaced the bearings. After the 3rd time replacing the bearings I traded it for a new one. The problem was never fixed that I know of.

Now I am back to changing out the front differantial on my new one after changing the bearings once. 72,000 miles and had a new trans and front diff bearings changed so far. Now a new front diff. Good thing I bought the extended warrenty.
  • dvsdvs Member Posts: 5
    I am going thru that now with my 2004. started at about 65000 miles. Already changed the tires and it did not fix it. The dealer changed the bearings in the front Differantial, didn't fix it just added to the confusion because now I have a drag on the truck and it the steering is very unstable. They are changing the whole differantial now to fix it. That will bring me back to the shake problem to deal with.
  • printer4printer4 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2005 denali with 6000 miles. at 2000 miles i also started experiencing that annoying rattling noise, it almost sounds like a boat motor. it seems to go away after you get above 40 mph. but after getting to highway speeds if you let off of the accelerator and go back onto it you can definitely hear the growl/roar/rattle.

i have had it to the dealer twice in the last 2 weeks, they indicated that they adjusted a backlash device within the exhaust. it still is not right and for a 52k vehicle i will expect them to find the problem.

any experience, or comments on this matter would be helpful.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    iIt may be a problem in the muffler. To fix it, they have to put on a new exhaust system. But, the fix only lasts about 30,000 miles.
  • rstaffordrstafford Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information on the whistle. I took your information to my dealers repair shop and they fixed the problem no more whistle and its been about a month and 1500 miles
    Thanks
  • rstaffordrstafford Member Posts: 3
    I think the pinging your are hearing is a result of the Stainless Steel exhaust system which was considered an improvement by GM the sound comes from expansion and contraction of the exhaust system system. my Denali only does the pinging when parked it is annoying but, the durability stainless steel over the aftermarket exhaust system seems worth it to me.
    Why dont the stainless systems in other vehicles do the same thing? I think the internal pieces in the muffler are not properly fastened. Repeated heating and cooling causes the poor welds in the muffler to break. That is why replacing the exhaust system resolves the problem for a while. Mine is now doing more than popping, it is rattling.
  • mckele1mckele1 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 03 DENALI and the console is pealing and it only has 14500 miles, I took to the dealer for defaulty air bag sensor and just ask about it an they said 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty does not cover pealing paint. Any ideas
    That definitely should be covered at that mileage. I would file a complaint at GM customer care and/or look for another dealer. I am having this problem on my 2001 DXL at 65,000 miles. It is my problem at that time.
  • reeftankguyreeftankguy Member Posts: 2
    I think I have figured out the problem. Its a stuck transmission control solenoid OBD2 code p0751. I will replace this part and update the forum if this fixed the problem.
  • tcdallastcdallas Member Posts: 1
    I am considering installing an aftermarket PCM for performance. Does anyone have any suggestions and where is the PCM located on GMC's? Thanks for any input as I see about 9 mfg products out there. Have used Jet stuff before on other GM - with good results.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That depends on what you're trying to accomplish and if you're willing to diable the truck while waiting for the PCM you sent to be returned.
  • bobs05denalibobs05denali Member Posts: 2
    I have an '05 and the vehicle went completely dead in my garage. No power to anything. The dealer was able to hook a jump box to it and it fired right up. They were not able to explain the problem. This is in addition to the broken sunroof and water in the front turn signal problems I had within the first month.

I agree with some of the prior posts regarding dealership selection. It is the experience with your dealerships service dept that will effect your opinion of your vehicle. I previously owned a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and was screwed by the dealer and forced to pay to rebuild the transmission at 43,000 miles. Miraculously they had no records of my prior complaints of poor shifting and slipping that started at 32,000 miles. (Lesson learned-**Always read your service receipts and make sure your complaints are listed and addressed**) I've always been a GM person and it was against my better judgment to buy a Mopar product. Now I am back in a GM vehicle which I paid over $43,000 dollars for and the service manager is treating me like I bought a $10,000 Hyundai.

I am a realist and am willing to expect problems in the first couple of months of ownership. I probably wouldn't complain except for the fact that the service manager was disrespectful to my wife and was acting like he was doing us a favor. The most amazing part of this whole fiasco is the service manager couldn't tell the sunroof was malfunctioning. My wife had to tell him to go and sit in a new Denali and use the sunroof so he can see how it is supposed to operate!

I hope my problems are straightened out after this sunroof repair. I will be looking for another dealer for service. My buy American attitude is really being tested. For what I spent I could be driving a Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. My friends that drive Lexus and Mercedes get service with a smile, a loaner car (usually nicer than their own), their car is washed and mints left in the console when they pick it up.

This is your last chance GM!
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Not necessarily the case--some vendors will ship you a PCM and charge you a refundable core charge.

tcdallas--assuming much hasn't changed between '04 and '05, the PCM is located on the driver's side of the engine bay, below the battery, hidden behind a black plastic cover, and is roughly 8" x 11" in dimension. I went with a Westers retuned PCM--good for a .3-second drop in the 1/4-mile, with slightly-better fuel economy to boot.
  • posthocposthoc Member Posts: 1
    As a recent owner (3 days) of a 2002 Denali XL, I have come to the conclusion that my new vehicle is either equiped with a turbine engine or I have a significant front end problem. Upon returning to the dealership to point out the deficency and inquire as to the validity of their "150 point used car inspection", I was told their transmission mechanic was absent as he was attending a training seminar. Perhaps this may be the reason why such a hideous noise was missed durning the ever elaborate inspection. In attempts to assist in a diagnosis, has anyone expirenced a front diffieretial problem on the Denali?
  • rhoddyrhoddy Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for advise/information. I own a 2002 Denali XL that I purchased new. I generally have routine maintenance performed on the vehicle as required. At 31k miles I had a fuel system failure. The fuel filter fouled (No actual contamination was found in the fuel system), causing the fuel pump to be damaged. The fuel pump sent debris into the fuel injection system, and there was a failure of the fuel injector in #8 cylinder. The total repair was covered under warranty. Sounds like a happy ending!

But, alas, at 53k miles I had the same problem reoccur. I sent the vehicle in for routine maintenance (at a non-GM facility) before leaving on a family vacation. I had a tune up, including replacement of the air and fuel filter. I got the car back and there was a serious hesitation problem. I sent the car back in for service. My mechanic determined that the fuel pump and injectors 4-8 were damaged due to debris from the fuel pump. In addition, the fuel injector failure had allowed fuel to get into the oil. Cylinders 4-8 are now scored, and I am told the engine needs to be replaced. I contacted GM warranty and have sent the vehicle to the dealer where I bought it. They are resisting my request for coverage of the problem, even though I claim this is a recurrent problem.

I am interested in any help/information I get get to help me solve my claim. I am told the repair cost will be about $10,000!!!!!!!!!! Is there a history of similar problems out there (I know that GM settled a similar problem with 96-01 SUV Sequential Central Port Injector in California, but have no information on newer models. I would appreciate any help I can get.
  • yukonyoshiiyukonyoshii Member Posts: 3
    I had 1,500 miles on my 2005 Denali when we noticed any and all odors from outside coming inside the cab while the air recycling button was on. Took it to dealer in Tampa and they stated it was blowing below 5 counts and should read at 10 counts. When I picked it up they stated GMC just found out about this and did not have a fix for it but GMC was working on making the replacement part. They shot expando foam around the glove and told me it woud be a couple of months.

Has anyone else experienced this???

The Bulletin was "PIT3655A"
  • walt9walt9 Member Posts: 1
    Same GMC peeling problem, but with 2002 Denali. The car dealer was not helpful. Im going to
    contact GMC. Keep you posted.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Seems to me in reading some of these that a lot of you 50K Denali purchasers would have been a lot better off just buying a full size pick up with a back seat (e.g., Supercab, etc.). The interior wouldn't be much different and when the paint peeled you could say, "what the heck, its only a pickup". The problems and lack of resolution is amazing for a a vehicle marketed as a "luxury SUV". But then again, GM never ever won any awards for customer service.
    This is definitely a manufacturing defect since it is very common. But, once the 36,000 mile on the Denali has expired, I think you have little recourse for a cosmetic problem. But, it should not occur on a $50K vehicle. It does not build your confidence in GM.
  • xtincttaxtinctta Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2004 denali that was diagnosed with bad barrings in the front differential. We have also experienced many transmission problems that the dealer can never seem to find. From putting it in reverse and the truck not engaging to rolling away while in park and the lasted just tonight leaving a light and the transmission slipping terribly.
  • xtincttaxtinctta Member Posts: 2
    2004 denali 16xxx on the clock that has a transmission with a mind of its own. Experinced no engagement when put in reverse many times, dealer could not repeat the problem. Rolled away while in park knocking my wife down and nearly ran her over as it drug her down the driveway transmission clicking the whole way, nieghbor witnessed the event again dealer could not repeat the problem. So I recommend not leaving it running and get out for any reason for everyone out there.
    By the way it was on flat ground in the garage and end up in neighbors driveway across the street 4 foot from their house before my wife was able to get emergency brake on. I still believe it has computer problem that is telling the transmission or not telling the transmission what gear it is in.

Also tonight we had terrible transmission slip when leaving a light. Let everyone know what the dealer finds or does not find as the case always seems to be.

I am a GM guy to say the least I have 4 of them currently so I am not out here just bashing. This is a serious problem that could get someone badly hurt or even killed so if there are any simular problems out there I would love to here of them.

We have the popping exhaust, bad front differential barrings and peeling consol for those of you keeping track.

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any posts
  • joe82joe82 Member Posts: 1
    GMC YUKON 2000
    When placed in reverse will not engauge until engine is rev'ed. several near accidents. Ford recalled there SUV several months ago with a similar problem. GMC is risking huge lawsuits if some one is to get hit or killed because of this growing problem. particulary dangerous because one is expecting the vehicle to go backwards "it is in reverse after all," and is looking back when the vehicle rolles forward. I expect a recall voluntary or forced in the next few months.