Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• jacyndaearljacyndaearl Member Posts: 7
    I've been trying to deal with this dash problem for waaayyy too long. I really appreciate this. Its too bad GM has to put such cheap materials in these nice trucks.
  • pme2pme2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 denali with 55,000 miles on it. I really have not had any major problems with it until now. I took it in to the dealership because my steering wheel was vibrating at around 40-50 mph. Because I have put different wheels on the car the dealership assumed the problem was because of my tires. After being in the shop for a week, they finally decided it was the torque converter and replaced it. Since the car has 50,000 and they had to remove the transmission to fix the torque converter, I had the transmission service done and the transmission flushed, all costing $1500. Now 1500 miles later, the same vibration is occuring, there is a grinding sound in the front, and my exhaust sounds like it is shaking. Now the dealership, after having it for yet another week and a half tells me that my transmission has water in it and needs to be rebuilt and of course we need a new torque converter. Apparently the problem was caused by water intrusion coming down into the dipstick for the transmission. There is a bulletin (05-07-30-017b) to put a seal under the cowl to prevent water from going into the dipstick. When I asked the mechanic how I could have prevented this from happening, he stated I couldn't have and suggested I contact GM. When I did, GM said, Sorry, that there was not enough evidence for them to process a claim but they do know about it.
    When I questioned the dealership about my exhaust rattle, they said the heatshield was broken. Of course being a woman I really don't know much about cars but really think I am getting screwed here. Doesn't the dealership have to full with the exhaust when they pulled my transmission out. I didn't have any exhaust problems until after they had. Any suggestions on what to do. Should I continue to fight with GM to have them pay for the rebuilding of my transmission or is it a lost cause. The dealership also said they found the transfer case front output shaft seal was leaking. HELP!
  • thudakthudak Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 denali. It fails to shift back into first from second gear when coming to a rolling stop. it feel like it just stays in second gear until you give a little more gas and then it shifts hard back into first.I took it to the dealership with about 4,000 miles and said there was not a problem (they just could not recreate the problm) My wife drives the vehicle so i was not aware it was continuing until i noticed it with around 35K miles. I took it in to have the issue resolved before the warranty went out. they said they had to tighten something in the transmission and carged me for a transmission service to boot. It fixed it for about 2-3K miles and i is still doing the same thing. I am thinking of dumping the vehicle before it gets worse. Does anybody know what the problem might be, or should i get rid of it? Other than that, we love the truck.

Please help!!!
  • 99denali99denali Member Posts: 2
    Own a 99 Denali and I too have nothing but problems with it. Two months ago replaced fuel pump now having problems with windows, radio and windshield wipers not working. Took in to shop but they refused to work on it because I have three TV.'s in vehicle. That was after they had in the shop for six hours. Has any one had similar problems with this suv?Checked all fuses, ignition switch. relays ,alternator everything is ok PLEASE HELP
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    By chance did any of these problems start after you installed the 3 TVs? Who installed them?
  • 99denali99denali Member Posts: 2
    Ive had the tvs in for a good while now. They where installed at Ultimate Electronics. I would say its been about five months since my tvs where installed, the first thing to go was my windows and everything else followed like a chain reaction. I took the in-dash tv out and tested it works fine, when I took the truck to the shop my windows where stuck down, when I picked it up they where up they sais they ran an over ride to see if the motors where working. Like I said ive checked every possible fuse and found nothing. Thanks for any help I can get :confuse:
    Since they returned the windows to the up position can rule out the window motors. Sounds like the bcm is failing as the failings are in clusters and not one at a time. I don't have a service manual for the '99. If you do or know someone who has access, try checking out the bcm and ecm seeing which one controls the equipment that's not working. It might show that all the non functioning equipment is being controlled by either of those units.
  • cdog51cdog51 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 Denali with the same idle problems (77,000 miles). My 02 Escalade EXT (same 6.0L motor with 57,000 miles) is having the same issue. I have read something about the throttle body cleaning; does this work? If so, how long does it work? Anybody have another fix? This must be something common to the 6.0L I would assume. :confuse:
  • bonnieazbonnieaz Member Posts: 1
    Cluster assembly replaced 5 times fuel sensor replaced.Gps navigation and radio replaced twice. Replaced low tire pressure sensor.Battery replaced,Cup holder and compartment pealing, replaced once, painted once,still flaking.Powertrain control reprogramed. Overheating, replaced clutch assembly and fan. Left frount wheel hubs rebuilt twice,all before 25,000 miles. Power window motor replaced. Electric seats reprogramed 7 times.
    Air bag lights coming on. Said unable to dup. Overheating again. Replace thermostate.Replace with a larger radiator. Replace waterpump.Still overheating.Add large external cooling fan. Sounds terrible.GM refused to replace Vheicle. Said we drove to many miles.More issues to many to list. Please think twice before buying a denali.
  • mckele1mckele1 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 03 with 18500 miles and this problem started today, taking to dealer this week, did you find any other problems other than the computer
  • keisha40keisha40 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new arising problem. My truck has 59200 miles and now all of a sudden when driving the RPMs will drop and register below zero. With an older car that usually meant a stall. It is due for its 60K mile service. And it is not a daily occurring problem. When the gas was near a quarter, i thought that was part of the problem (ok stop laughing whoever is reading this). But I had 3/4 qtr tank yesterday and it did it again. When i idle it still registered below zero and in park. I shut it off and restarted and then it was fine.

Any suggestions
  • zbyf1zbyf1 Member Posts: 2
    You have to get some carburator-fuel injector cleaner and spray it into the throttle body..It works..I have a 02 Denali and once I did it the vehicle idles fine..In fact I have to do it again..You will have to do it every 3,000 miles or everytime you change the oil...I took the info from one of the guys who post a message concerning this..
  • zbyf1zbyf1 Member Posts: 2
    See msg #282..
  • jacyndaearljacyndaearl Member Posts: 7
    2003 Denali XL -- Oh my gosh, my truck memory seat is psycho and does the exact same thing! My rear gate does the exact same thing. They have tried to fix the memory seat over 10 times, not exaggerating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Kinda like my memory I guess!
  • ronburksronburks Member Posts: 1
    ObyOne Kanobe-wise one

I have a cherry 2000 GMC Yukon, 61K miles and seems the electric windows are failing one at a time. First to go was the left rear and then right rear and then the passenger. Drivers still working. Rear getting clicks in door when you press driver controls or individual door buttons up and down. Passenger will go down from my controls but not up and will go up with passenger controls.

Replaced driver control panel, thought it was the lock out but it was not. Speak Obyone so that we all may know.

Ron in Katrinaland
  • jjvalenjjvalen Member Posts: 3
    i just had my 2000 yukon fixed, the check engine light was on when i bought it. i thought it was just a messed up light because it was running perfect. then after about 6 months it started hesitating and jumping rpms at a stop sign........i took to my fav mechanic and he cleaned the throttle body, and bam! light went out, running smooth ever since.,next the back window motors.. ?? i don't think the lady that had it before me ever rolled them down....froze up i guess. anyway hope this helps..
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone had this issue? My son was sitting in the far back (Denali Shorty) and said water was flowing out the floor vent in the back. When I got home I looked and the carpet was soaking wet. Is this an issue of a clogged AC condenser drain? If so, how do I go about clearing it?
  • question1question1 Member Posts: 1
    Shave mentioned they had an O3 Denali with idle problems. Has anyone else tried the throttle body cleaning fix? Did they have any issues with a battery failure because of the low RPM?
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Got home last night and poked around under the truck and found the drain for the rear unit. I moved it around a bit and a little bit of muck fell out and then the water ran like a fountain. I couldn't believe there was that much water backed up in there. Oh well, problem solved!
    sounds like a regulator problem to me.

BTW, that old guy played by Sir Alec Guinness as Jedi Master Ben aka ObiWan Kenobi is of no relation :P .
  • perryd1perryd1 Member Posts: 1
    have a 99 also - same problem. Intermittently the radio, wipers, and windows cut out. Get this - if i slam the center console lid most of the time all systems cone back to life.

Spoke to several dealers and no common fuse, relay, circuit breaker exisits and no connection in the console area is common - according to them.

Everything is stock. Have you had any luck.
  • 3babies3babies Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Denali and my lowbeams do not work. My highbeams work, my fog lamps work and my parking lights work, but I have no lowbeams. I've checked all of my fuses and they seem to be fine. Also tried to replace bulbs but to no avail. Used a meter to make sure there was voltage coming from the connection. It's all good.
    Also the lights on my steering column (volume controls for radio) are out. And my 3rd brake light.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
  • bctbct Member Posts: 8
    It is possible That you had a carbon deposit in your intake plenum, it is the part between the throttle body and the block/heads. If it where blocking a passage it would have created the problem you are describing. Not sure on the warranty end of that. Your lucky it wasn't the EGR valve that clogged and they wanted to charge you for. A buddy of mine worked at a dealership and he would replace the whole part even though all you have to do is take it out and knock the carbon out of the valve seat.
    Not sure of that particular motor but most newer cars with a tach run off a cam sensor to measure the motors RPM. It is a little device that runs off a magnetic pick up. That is most likely the prob.
  • kmeyerskmeyers Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with the two rear doors and hatch not locking. I have tried both manually locking from front doors as well as pushing the remote. The two front doors lock but when I go to open the two back doors and hatch, they do not lock and the alarm system goes off. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • josie16josie16 Member Posts: 1
    Boogga, did your dealer ever get this issue fixed? Some people say the TXV replacement (Document ID #594045) does it and others say it's a normal whistle noise related to the unused IAC passage in the throttle body (Document ID #1580607).

My 2004 Yukon Denali makes the exact same noise and it drives me crazy!

Thanks!!
  • carhobbycarhobby Member Posts: 2
    It does work. I wish I had done it before having the fuel pressure regulator replaced in a failed attempt to solve the problem. It has been good for about a year so far.
  • david4266david4266 Member Posts: 2
    I used to be the happy owner of a 2005 Yukon XL that rode good, was quiet and a pleasure to drive. I traded it for a 2007 Denali and what a disappointment. At 38 mph plus there is gear noise. If you let off the gas or take it out of gear it stops. I only have 700 miles on it and the noise has been there after about 100 miles. It is loud enough to hear inside the cabin. The dealer says this is a normal noise in the AWD Denali. I drove several other Denali's and they all had the noise, mine was louder. Has anyone experienced this and if so did you get it fixed. This issue is driving me nuts.
  • rotti92201rotti92201 Member Posts: 14
    Is it true on the 07 Denali that you can not use the Nav system and the rear DVD at the same time???

:confuse:
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    That's really odd, because I have the '07 Escalade, which has the same engine, 6pd trans & axles as the '07 Denali.

I don't have any noise that I consider "gear" noise, but I do get some resonance coming from the exhaust.

I will comment that I previously had an '05 Denali XL, and the '07 even with 22" wheels, rides smoother, and handles more like a smaller vehicle, and not the "Cow on Rollerskates" feel of the previous generation.

Dave
  • andrewvandrewv Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had trouble with their keyless entry for the new Yukon. the remote works well when we first exit the vehicle, but after about 30 minutes the remote no longer works. I use the key to open the door and then the remote works again. This happens all the time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew
  • greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    Not true. The Nav DVD slot (behind the nav screen) is separate from the CD/DVD player slot. I use nav all the time with the DVD playing in the back.

-- Gregg
    Boston, Mass
    Had the exact same problem. Apparently there is a GM service bulletin on this one. My remotes stopped working less than a minute after exiting the vehicle. My dealer was stumped at first but after talking to GM got it fixed. They at first thought it was a software problem but we had the latest versions. Something about a sleep setting and resetting something. I can dig out the service reciept if you need the specifics. Good luck.

-- Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • 3pigologs3pigologs Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same problem with the remote. I've called the dealership with no results. Would you be able to look up the specifics on your service receipt? Can't wait to get the problem resolved. Thanks!

--Angel
    Menlo Park, CA
    Hello Angel,

Here is the info they wrote up:

"Tech confirmed failure key fobs using recommendation doc 1861180 put system to sleep removed rcdlr reinstalled fuse retested all OK"

Since they did this fix a couple of months ago everything has worked fine. Hopefully your dealer can find out what that document says.

Good luck, let us know how things work out.

-- Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • rainbud66rainbud66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL 4wd w/ a 3.73 rear end. The rear end has some noise and the dealer told me it's likely the ring and pinion gear needs replacing. The car goes into the dealer this week. Since the rear end needs to be rebuilt could I switch to a 4.10 rear end? Would I have to do something to the front end differential since it's a 4wd?

thanks in advance for any advice
  • bigbod98bigbod98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 GMC Yukon and I have received the same code. I have lost my reverse, 2nd gear seems to function when it so chooses and 3rd gear is almost non-existent. I can drive it, but it's like a stick shift with a bad clutch?

I was curious to know the details about the replacing of the solenoid and what it entailed since I seem to be in the same boat.

I am not brave enough to venture into a tranny blind, so I was going to AAMCO tomorrow.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • jvigil88jvigil88 Member Posts: 21
    Did anyone else get a letter from On Star saying that they will no longer be providing service to older vehicles because the On Star system in running on an anolog system???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a story about it:

OnStar to go silent on millions of pre-2006 vehicles (Straightline)
  • delfina1delfina1 Member Posts: 3
    The paint is chipping off the navigation console buttons exposing the yellow plastic under them. Does anyone have a fix for this? (Other than GMC-- I've been reading about their stepping up to the console paint issue!!!!) :):)
  • jw3591ajw3591a Member Posts: 5
    My headlights flicker during night driving. Happens approx. 10-15 times per minute. Dealer says he cannot duplicate the problem. Anyone else ever had this issue??
    HELP HELP HELP.
    Do you know what the RPM is when the lights are flickering?? Do the dash lights flicker at the same time?? Does the rate of flickering change with a change of RPM?? Have you had starting problems?? Does the engine seem to turn over slower after the vehicle has been off for some time???
    RPM's make no difference. Flicker rate does not change with RPM. Yes, dash lights and all other lights that are illuminated flicker at the same time. Vehicle is new (5K miles) No starting or turnover problems. It doesn't do it when cold. Vehicle has to be operates 10 minutes or more. I'm thinking perhaps the diode trio in the Alternator. Your thoughts? Thanks..
    My shade-tree mechanic opinion is that it is not the diodes but rather the voltage regulator. The key is that the flickering does not change with RPM and the added information that it does not flicker when cold. I think you are seeing the voltage regulator turning on and off after you have fully charged the battery and it is just regulating in a "maintaining" mode. If you want to definitize that, throw a load on the battery by doing something like turning on the fan or driving lights while the lights are flickering. I'll bet it changes the rate for a few seconds. If your dealer has some old guy working there I bet he has an old dial voltmeter and he would see the needle move in sync with the flickering you are seeing. The young guys should have something like an oscilloscope to see this. ( He will have to wait until the battery is charged and the regulator is "idling" before he tries this). Hopefully you have not added some 3,000 watt boom box to your electrical system that does massive current draws and GMC won't talk to you. Now for the bad news. Some people are much more sensitive to flickering lights that others. If other people riding with you don't see this flickering, it might just be your sensitivity to differences in light levels. Good luck and let us know how this comes out.
  • chemkchemk Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where the sensor or relay is that tells the rear pump to pumpup the shocks?

Thanks Pete
    chemk@bellsouth.net
  • 44magnum44magnum Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have an 05 Yukon Denali XL and I am having problem with the defrost side of the heater. I took it to the dealer and they told me they thought it was a motor. The main blower motor is working fine. The problem is when I change from floor heat (or any of the other settings) to defrost the air will not come through the defrost vents. It also blows cold air on the passenger side and warm on the driver side when all the way on floor heat. I can hear the air flow change when I switch it so to me it does not sound like a motor problem but an adjustment problem. Is there any adjustment on the internal doors of the heater box? I appreciate any help with this. One side note. This was working fine until I took it to the dealer when it was running rough. They said it was an oxygen sensor and replaced it. It helped somewhat but it is still a little rough. As I left the dealer my windows started fogging and this was the first time I noticed the problem. They said it was not related to what they had done and I really can't see how it would be either but then again???? I would appreciate any ideas or help. Thanks in advance.
    Hey shade-tree mechanic, As I ponder your diagnosis I think you hit it right on the head. Your explaination make perfect sense. Due to the holidays I probably won't be getting it back to the dealer till after Jan 1. I will, however, let you know the final results when corrected. Thank you very much for your input.
  • hitenhiten Member Posts: 12
    I've got an 2004 Yukon Denali with 60K miles on it and haven't head any major problems. On my trip from Charlotte NC to Chicago IL, my speedometer started having problems. I was doing atleast 75mph and it was registering 0 MPH. Temporary fix was to turn the truck off and wait for few minutes. This would work fine for about 60miles and then the speedometer needle would start going back to 0. Has anyone experienced this problem? All other gauges are working fine. If yes, what was the root cause of the problem? As of rightnow the speedometer is working fine, but I am not sure how long it would last. Thanks in advance!
    Its prob the speed sensor on the tranny. Shouldn't cost too much. I'm not positive bit thats what it sounds like and atleast its a place to start.