Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• Options
    jw3591ajw3591a Member Posts: 5
    Hey Shade Tree. The headlight flickering has stopped. Do you think perhaps the voltage regulator adjusted itself or was sticking from new and has now wore in??? Thanks again!
  • Options
    coachman99coachman99 Member Posts: 5
    Jackso;
    My GM dealer told me that with the ALLwheel drive, the two differentials have to have some slack so as not to bind. The clunk is not brakes, but the xmission taking up slack in the shafts conncetion. 25K on it now and is ok pulling 7k pound trailer....coachman99
  • Options
    coachman99coachman99 Member Posts: 5
    I had to go to the dealer and have him reset the computer on tire pressure, and this will happen also in cold climates if the tires get too low before you correct the pressure, keep them about 4 pounds higher and it won't happen again....coachman 06 denali xl
  • Options
    johnnycabjohnnycab Member Posts: 1
    Here's my dilema...
    I have a 2000 Yukon XL and I'm having the following issues with the heater temperature in the driver/passenger section of the cabin, rear temperature control is working fine. The climate controller works fine(temp can be controlled from cool to hot and vise versa)but when the truck warms up(~10 mins on the road)the controller can control from cool to hot but it does not go from hot to cool, in other words, it gets stuck on hot and I mean it is hot. The only way I can get it to go to cool again is if the truck is off and remains off for ~15-20 mins. I know that the controller is working fine because I have replaced it and it did not fix the problem.
    Anny ideas???
  • Options
    nrogersnrogers Member Posts: 3
    We love our new(used) Denali. We had a Suburban xl but wanted the slightly larger engine and found a hood deal on the Denali so bought it. The only problem is the console is painted and it is peeling. I cant for the life of me figure out why GMC would paint the plastic instead of just using colored plastic. Is there any way to fix this? It looks so cheap to me.
  • Options
    glevittglevitt Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know the location of the fuel filter on a 2001 Yukon? The best description I've seen is in line with the driver side door on the frame but I can't find it. Also, bleed or no bleed? Anyone know? Thanks!
  • Options
    ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    dont know if this helps on the sierra it is on the inside of the driver side frame rail just in front of the fuel tank
  • Options
    iipacfaniipacfan Member Posts: 4
    HELLO ALL, I HAVE A 2002 DENALI AND HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH A BUZZING NOISE FROM ABOVE THE DRIVER'S SEAT FOR A LONG TIME NOW. 2 TIMES AT THE DEALER AND WAS FIRST TOLD THAT IT WAS THE LINK=UP SPEAKER FOR THE ONSTAR SYSTEM. THEN I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS THE "ASPIRATOR" THAT CONTROLS THE AC. JUST LEFT THE TRUCK AT CHEVY DEALER AND WAS TOLD THAT IT IS THE AC TEMP. SENSOR. DIAG. WILL COST ME 97.00. ANY ADVICE AS TO WHAT IT IS. ALS HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCE A RUBBING NOISE WHEN TURNING TO THE LEFT--WAS TOLD MY CHEVY THAT IT IS THE STEERING SHAFT? ANY COMMENTS.
  • Options
    ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    I think your caps lock is on
  • Options
    sher920sher920 Member Posts: 1
    Took mine to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) for an oil change and I pointed out the peeling to them and they were very nice. They replaced both pieces (the top around the cigarette lighter and the bottom where the drink holders are) at no cost. It was just days before the 3 year warranty expired and they were very accomodating.
  • Options
    randyt1randyt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2000 XL. Did you ever find a solution? The heat is incredibly hot! Many thanks. randy
  • Options
    lourdeshlourdesh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Yukon SLT , the speedometer just stopped working about a month ago. The warranty just expired and now I am stuck with having to pay $485.00 to get it fixed. Has anyone had this problem?? :(
  • Options
    44magnum44magnum Member Posts: 4
    If your warranty just expired you can check with your dealer and possibly get it done on "goodwill". GM fixed my oxygen sensor that way when it was 400 miles past the warranty.
  • Options
    44magnum44magnum Member Posts: 4
    I just lost oil presure in mine and am not sure if it is a sensor or something major. The buzzer started going off and the presure guage dropped to zero. Started it back up and it went to 20 and then bounced back down to Zero. Anyone with this experience? I asked my dealer since I am right at 37000 miles it they would goodwill it but I have not heard back. ANyone know the corporate number to call to try and get items "goodwilled"? They asked me if I had purchased the extended waranty and I said no. I feel for $45,000 I should be able to get more that 36K miles with out major problems. I hate to say it, but with the experience I have had with my last 3 GM vehicles and getting issues fixed, I will not be buying another GM product. I see they have upped their waranty time period on the new vehicles which is a plus though.
  • Options
    jjohnstonjjohnston Member Posts: 7
    I think GM has also upped the warranty for older vehicles to the 5yr/100,000 mile. Check for the years they are including and read the fine print. You may be in luck. GM is doing a lot to correct their quality image, however, the dealers need to improve also. I have a very low opinion of my local dealer but bought out of town and have had nothing but praise for them. Good luck. J
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    44magnum and jjohnston,
    I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong as a 2007 GMC owner myself; but, I believe the 5yr/100K mile warranty applies to Powertrain and Corrosion Protection only, while the other components "bumper-to-bumper" are still covered under the 3yr/36K warranty... Best wish to you in getting the oil pressure problem fixed, for free.
  • Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I had read that the retroactive warranty only applies to Certified used vehicles 03 and newer.
    Does anyone actually have a link to GM's actual info on this program. I would be very interested due to my transfer case issues. Thanks, Catam.
  • Options
    mdflncmdflnc Member Posts: 1
    Original owner and have been experiencing loud rubbing/squeak noises on my 90K mile Denali when encountering bumps(speed bumps, dips in road, parking entry/exit inclines, ...). Sounds like coming from both front and rear. No luck with several visits to different dealers. Would like to get fixed before extended warranty expires. My wife or CEO of our family is killing me on this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    warningtwarningt Member Posts: 1
    FYI, getting the same thing on a 2001 Yukon XL. I have 200,000 miles on it and I probably noticed it 50,000 ago. Drives me nuts, but obviously not enough to spend the money to get it fixed. My lights and everything else also dim noticably when I put down my windows, hit the brakes, turn up the heater..anything. Has always done it, but much more noiceably when the flickering problem started. It's almost like I'm flashing my lights at the car in front of me.
  • Options
    Its hard to tell without being there, but, have you checked the shocks, control-arm bushings and also the sway bar bushings?
  • Options
    bkcrna1bkcrna1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying to find out what shocks can be used in a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 with autoride suspension. I was told by the dealer today that my front and rear shocks are leaking and quoted a cost of $2300 to replace them. This seems a little outrageous to me so I'm asking for guidance. Anyone have thoughts on getting this done some place other than the dealer. I question if Sears or a "tire place" is going to give me what I need for autoride suspension.
  • Options
    Disregard my previous post, as they only have those for manual adjust not the Autoride system... Sorry! I wonder if standard air shocks can be used as a replacement...
    i.e. http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_air.cfm
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Try here for the front/rear shocks.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Found the rear shocks listing for $250.00 plus shipping. Fronts are also available. Once you have the parts, you can take them to a local shadetree mechanic or change them yourself. At $2300 the dealer was on the high side.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    kgilliskgillis Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Denali XL. When I am moving I cannot enter an address. Is there any override for this problem? The address feature locks you out while the vehicle is moving and if for example I want to find a convenience store I need to pull over to enter a search. GM told me this was a safety feature. Every other nav system I have had didn't lock me out while driving. What a pain.
  • Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    That is getting more common. I have a Lincoln LS that does the same thing.

I saw a device (I don't remember where) that can circumvent that safety feature on GM vehicles. I wish I could find one that would work on Ford.
  • Options
    jacyndaearljacyndaearl Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I got my replaced under warranty, but it has done the same exact thing. It looks terrible. They said they would only replace it once. Why GM places such cheap parts in their vehicles I'll never know. I do love my denali, but not the stupid little problems it has.
  • Options
    hbattenhbatten Member Posts: 1
    Since we bought the car in January it has been in the service dept. four times. It idles very low to the point it seems like it almost wants to die. Also, it seems to lose power when driving because it is trying to decide which gear it want to stay in. Now my dash board lights will turn off and on again periodically, they flach once. Anyone else having similar issues?
    The service dept. cannot find anything wrong because there is "no warning light" on. Give me a break. All this software has the mechanics with their hands tied. It is driving me crazy! I jsut want to drive a new car and have it run like a new car!
  • Options
    Have you considered giving another dealer a chance?

Try contacting GMC customer service, they may be able to refer you to one.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 Denali, I complained about the matte finish around the console cracking and peeling. They said GM has a kit for it to be replaced so I said go ahead. Came back and they had covered the console with a trim kit made up of the plastic fake carbon wood grain. Doesnt look to bad, at least it matches the rest of the grey wood grain.
  • Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Do you have any information on the part number for the kit? Would it be possible to post pictures? If you can't post them, please send them to Denali@AncoAuto.com.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jacque383jacque383 Member Posts: 2
    Yes...this happened to my 07 Denali...Except on the 3rd time, this loud clanging noise happened. Each time it would happen more and more seemed to slowly go wrong. Had it towed into the dealership on the 3rd attempt because it just wouldn't even start.

They called me 2 days later to tell me that the piston actually broke inside the engine.

I called GM to request a Lemon buy-back and they've refused. Instead they ordered a new engine to be placed into my car.

I've cleaned out my car and have refused to pick it up. Been to an attorney and now were sueing GM as well as the dealership.

The car has been in the shop for 18 days now and who knows how much longer before they try to get me to come in and pick it up. That won't happen until we see what happens in court.

My engine in the Denali is now being shipped back to the factory so that the engineers can look at it and see if there is a design flaw.

I'll never buy a GM again.
  • Options
    bnrbnr Member Posts: 1
    Ditto on the above issues.

2 weeks after I purchased my '07 Denali the transmission failed, leaving me stranded. Dealer said they did not know what was wrong even after consulting GM tech support. They reflashed the transmission, changed some sensors, and it that seemed to fix THAT problem.

Yesterday (only 2 weeks after the above mentioned problem) while driving home in a huge snowstorm, all the dashboard lights began to flash. I lost electrical power to almost everything (windows, turn signals, 4 ways, all gauges, lights). Error messages flashed on the imformation pannel saying "check tire pressure", "check stabilitrak", "check suspension", "etc". Luckily I was close to home. After pulling in the garage and turning the key off, the few electrical features that were on would not shut off. I had to physicall y remove the (+) lead from the battery. Oh, BTW, the vehicle will now not even start.

It's a shame that after spending $55k on a new American SUV, this is what I am faced with.

I WILL NEVER BUY A GMC/CHEVROLET VEHICLE AGAIN. And I will make it a point to communicate my dislike for this company to each and every person I can. In addition, I have contacted my law firm to begin a civil action against GM.

I can't wait to drive my new 2008 Toyota Sequoia.
    Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    bnr, sorry to learn about your problems with your 07 Denali. It is a lot to have happened with a brand new vehicle. But, just to quickly share my experience with you on my Ex-2000 Toyota Land Cruiser-TLC (which I traded in for my 07 Denali), it has been a reliable SUV, in my 7 years owning the TLC I only had to bring it in for 2-recalls and 3-services. The services/repairs I paid were NOT CHEAP (in the low thousands, or otherwise close to it) comparing to a simlar repair if its for a domestic SUV. Worst yet, after 2 or the 3 repairs, the same @#$% problem still exists. According the my EX-Toyota dealer, its a complex problem to repair and can take a few trys... (what kind of a lame excuse was that... !!). Although, the TLC has been a superb 4x4, its been comfortable but "dull" to drive. I guess what I am trying to share with you is that, just because its a Toyota, don't think its all that perfect and reliable, there is always a bad apple in a bunch. If "fun to drive" is one of your desires in a SUV, Sequoia is not the only choice out there. I had my share of Japanese SUVs & cars in my family, they are good and with high marks on overall reliability, but Toyota don't know what it means to be "fun to drive"... Best wish!
  • Options
    bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone had a rear hatch handle fail on the Yukon XL?

I own a 2005 Yukon XL that was purchased in February, 2005. In August, 2006 the rear hatch handle failed for the first time. Since the vehicle had 46000 miles on it, it was not covered under warranty.

At the time I paid for it. Fast forward to March 2007 and the same part failed again. Eight months later. GMC says that the replacement is not under warranty because the vehicle had 20000 miles since the last replacement.

To have the same item fail twice in 25 months is unreasonable. For GMC not to pay for the replacement is unconsciouable. The handle in not subject to wear and tear based upon mileage. Certainly the item should not fail twice in 25 months.

After the response by GMC's customer service, I'm done purchasing GM products. No more Corvettes, I've owned 4 of them. In addition, I've purchased 2 Camaro's, a Suburban, a Buick Ultra, a Blazer and a Beretta.

Am I pissed off, certainly.
  • Options
    ewaldmanewaldman Member Posts: 1
    After driving our 07 denali for 4+ months with no problems, it suddlenly made a loud noise, dash icons light up and loss of power. Towed to dealer & service dept. tells us "engine seized up" & ordering a new one. Now 2 weeks later & told GMC has newly redesigned engine to address the valve problem and installing that new engine instead. I am supposed to get my car back by the end of week. Any others have this problem/experience? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Options
    tboetboe Member Posts: 1
    Had my new denali for a couple of weeks 1100 miles - couple of nights ago - the whole dash when nuts - check stabilitrak - check air bag - car dead - no start - and after removing the keys the dash was still on! - towed to the dealer - they have been looking at it for 2 days - still don't know whats up. Sounds like the issue to which i am replying. Did thye ever find out what was wrong with your car. (did not make engine sound or any clanking - just like all computers fried all at once).
  • Options
    wkavwkav Member Posts: 4
    I have had my red Denali for 3 weeks now. I have only 2000 miles on it and the paint is now chipping off. I have 8 areas on the vehicle...one on the hood (which I can understand), 3 on the driver quarter panel, 2 on the driver quarter panel and 2 on the rear driver quarter panel. There is also evidence of dirt UNDER the paint. I am assuming this will be chipping off too! We have went to the dealer and also contacted GM service dept. They suggest we go back to the dealer and let them break the factory paint and have a new paint job! The dealer noted to us that the dealership paint is not baked on like the factory and wouldn't suggest it. GM informed us that once the car leaves the factory it is no longer their problem!!!! I have had over 12 different GM vehicles and never had a paint problem.
    Has anyone else had paint issues with their Yukon?
    Thanks! wkav :mad:
  • Options
    kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    I can't imagine that GM won't take care of this; you might just want to continue researching and decide the best way to handle it befor you press them.

I had a peeling paint problem with my 1991 Chevy S10 that showed up several years after I bought it... GM admitted a problem with that paint color of that year and they paid for a complete repainting.

However, because it wasn't safety, it wasn't an advertised recall. I had to go to the dealer and then call GM (the dealer first said "not covered", GM then tried for only a partial repaint, but finally a got a better dealer behind me who got authorization for a full repaint). I was pretty happy with this as that vehicle was already out-of-warranty.
  • Options
    anderjmaanderjma Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Pickup Birch in colour and the paint is starting to look like it has dirt specks under it. They weren't there a month ago and are starting to appear randomly all over the vehicle.

They eventually break through in a small star shape and start to rust.

The dealer I took it to told me it looked like paint pop and called in the GM rep to review it.

The rep denied any claim since the vehicle is out of warranty 84,000 km and I am left with the prospect of paying $2500 for a complete paint strip and redo.

This will be my last GMC after over 20 years of GMC ownership. It is no wonder GMC is being overtaken by Toyota with their bad quality and poor customer warranty for a problem that is obviously caused by a poor factory paint system.
  • Options
    fcbuilderfcbuilder Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem today . I am driving along the highway and here a loud noise like there were rocks in the engine and all the warning lights were on and the engine lost its power and died on me . they towed it ti the dealer and told me the same thing that mly engine block was cracked , meaning the engine was blown and that they are going to replace it with a brand new engine from the factory. I hope this solves what ever problem there having.
  • Options
    meandjaedynmeandjaedyn Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely. The driver quarter panel is chipping on my truck. I didn't get too excited though because my truck is a 2000 Denali and I just figured it was getting old. It isn't chipping anywhere else, yet, though. People keep telling me to paint the entire truck but I am not about to do that. I am planning to get an estimate for just the door - I have put more than enough money in that truck. I have replaced 3 fuel pumps on that truck and my mechanic has told me that the Yukons are notorious for fuel pump problems, so beware!!
  • Options
    lboothlbooth Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve this issue ? I have the exact problem and they are telling me I need a new signal switch.

Lee
  • Options
    havanajoehavanajoe Member Posts: 3
    Hello, i know this has been a while, Did you ever get this fixed or find out the cause?
  • Options
    havanajoehavanajoe Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Yukon Denali and it only happens after I have driven it for a while and it does it when I turn right or left. It almost sounds like the whole front of the car is coming off. Anyone have any ideas as to what it is and/or how to fix it?

While I am here, the rear passenger window seems to roll all the way down on it's on, very randomly. When I have the child window locks on, it doesn't happen. And if it does roll down, I have to have the lock on in order to roll it back up from the driver control.

Also, the driver heated seat warmer doesnt seem to work. Front passenger works fine and so do both rear seats
  • Options
    hello, i just had mine fixed for the same problem, but my 02 denali only did it when turning left and when i toogled the steering wheel from left to right, there would be like a rubbing noise. I first had them put in a new steering shaft(which per gmc, was a bulletin on this part) but that did not fix the problem, finally i took it to chevy and they changed the power steering gear box and so far, after 1 month, i have not heard the noise. you might want to have the dealer check that out. it corrected my problem. so far ...(knock on wood))
  • Options
    that a Chevy dealer could solve the problem and not the GMC dealer. What made you take your Denali to a Chevy dealer?
  • Options
    Well, first the gmc no longer wanted to accept my extended warranty and also because i have a relative who works at the chevy dealer as a salesman, so i knew i had some pull there.
  • Options
    pagosa5pagosa5 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with my 01 Denali making loud grinding and squeaking noises, especially when turning. After many trips to the dealer and paying for service I didn't need, they finally replaced the transfer case. Please have them check to see if this is your problem. It would have saved me alot of time and aggrivation if I had known sooner. Good luck.
  • Options
    rarmbrisrarmbris Member Posts: 1
    ditto...now goes around 120 regardless of speed.