Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Head injuries are indeed the most life threatening which is why curtain air bags are more important, especially in a lower elevated car.

As for 4 speed transmission, for 95% of the population they are just fine. Mileage may suffer a touch, but GM transmissions are pretty efficient. They are smooth as silk and reliable. The reason some people look for a 5 is because of GM's own comparisons to Lexus.

Glad you are enjoying the car!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Compared to Honda they're a dream. No notchiness.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Are you talking about the past? honda's 5 speed automtics have no notchiness and are very smooth and responsive.

if you think the 4 speed/3.8l combination is a dream compared to the accord's V6 drivetrain, well good for you.
  • robchemistrobchemist Member Posts: 37
    When we were test driving cars, we drove an Accord V6. The transmission on the Accord was certainly very good, but its shifts were much more noticable. I think that this may have been Honda's intention since they have positioned the Accord as more "sporty". Indeed, the Honda had a slightly quicker steering response than the Lacrosse, consistent with it being a sportier car. (I would guess that the Honda has slightly better accelleration given its slightly more powerful engine (significantly higher HP (240 vs. 205), slightly less torque (212 vs. 225), slightly lighter (ca. 200 lbs.)) and 5-speed transmission, but I haven't seen a comparison of the accelleration times for each vehicle.) The one feature that ultimately dominated our buying decision when we compared the Accord and Lacrosse (and 5 others), and why we chose the Lacrosse, was the noise and smoothness of the rides. When we tested cars, we drove them over the same series of roads to eliminate road choice as a potential variable in terms of ride quality and noise. The Honda is somewhat noisier both with respect to engine and outside noise, and the rear suspension was especially noisy. Large bumps at low speed or moderate bumps at higher speed gave a distinct "clunk". Also, consistent with what I think each manufacturer wanted to accomplish, the Accord is designed to be bouncier on the road to give a sporty feel, while the Buick is designed to be softer and smoother. In comparing rides of various cars, the Lacrosse ride is more similar to a Toyota Camry while an Accord is more similar to a Chevy Malibu.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for your informative report. How did you find the Camry vs. the LaCrosse? What were the other 4-5 cars that you considered?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    RDS is only available near large cities. It looks like it is not expanding to other areas. Only a few stations seem to offer it now. Greatly depends on where you live.

LaCrosse does not have RDS.
    Lacrosses's curtain air bags cover down to the door trim top and therefore offer more protection than the majority of SIAB's that only protect the head.
    I am surprised, I have not seen any GM car in the last 3 years that does not have RDS.

Our Montana has it but it was not listed on the radio description so..
    Pretty fair assessment overall.

I take issue with the engine noise however. there isn't any in the accord when cruising so i'll assume you're talking about engine noise when accelerating. perhaps it is louder than the 3.8l (it wasn't compared to my father's regal though) but i would say it sounds a lot better (not coarse sounding). unless the cars are pushed i would say neither one calls attention to itself.

the 3.8l is lacking compared to the accord V6 and is more on par with GM's nice 3.6l in smoothness and responsiveness.
    Just took my 3800 LeSabre on a nice cruise last evening to Cincy for an event. As soon as I hit the interstate I reset the fuel mileage. It averaged 33.8 to downtown at 70 mph (I70/I75). The return trip in 10 pm traffic was 34.1 mpg at 68 mph.

Where is that low mileage CU managed. The LaCrosse is only slightly lighter than my LeSabre. Even my wife gets 22 on short trips to work and grocery which is .5 to 2.0 mile trips in winter in Ohio. I get 24-26 when doing suburban driving (yes, I drive somewhat smoothly).

The 4-speed automatic works perfectly with the engine and it's broad torque curve.

I'll be looking at a LaCrosse for the replacement for my older LeSabre when my son starts driving it.

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    You might want to look at the then Buick Lucerne instead....

Just a thought.
  • robchemistrobchemist Member Posts: 37
    You are correct, in my previous post talking about engine noise of the Accord vs. Lacrosse, I was referring to the engine noise under accelleration. They clearly have very different sounds. Of the seven cars we tested at highway speeds (only up to 60 mph, however) on level ground, I don't recall any distinctive engine noise from any of them. However, it should be noted that it can be hard to distinguish engine noise from the variable amounts of other noise that each vehicle lets in (tire, wind, and other traffic). The vehicles we tested were the Toyota Camry, Toyota Prius, Ford 500, Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, and Buick Lacrosse.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    The car makers did the ol switch-a-roo! This LaCrosse sure don't look like the one I saw at the autoshow a few years ago. Does it have the voice activated features? What happened to the rear tailgate type thing?
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    General consensus is that the Lacrosse is not enough of an upgrade to the Regal to compete favorably with the competition and the high-end versions are pricey. Professional reviews have been somewhat lukewarm. I have noticed, however, that on two web locations that have consumer reviews, the Lacrosse is very highly rated.

I have had several GM mid-size vehicles. My absolute favorite being a 2001 Intrigue GLS. This time my wife and I decided to go for a CTS, which is a great car, but had some niggling details. I felt a bit squeezed between the door and the console and was surprised at the amount of transmission noise that entered the cabin.

The test drive in the Lacrosse was a real surprise. It handles at least as well as the Intrigue did and the ride is much improved. (we tested and bought a CXS) Normally, slapping wide rubber on these GM intermediates results in tar strip harshness, but even with the fatter 17" 55 series tires, the ride was amazingly free of harshness, unlike my Impala SS company car, which will shake your fillings loose.

The CXS seems as fast as the supercharged Impala, too and uses regular fuel.

It's not perfect, the rear seat should be roomier for its size and I wish it had an iPod jack, but so far we are very pleased - just like those other owners.
    I am really happy to hear your story.

I will be replacing my Intrigue GL in 2-3 years and I was really hoping this Buick would fit the bill. Sounds like it could have been a 2005 Intrigue.

Hopefully it will have an MP3 player or jack available by the time I buy.

;-)
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Regarding:
    "Not to mention that GM continued to market OnStar with analogue only cellular service for quite some time long after the rest of the world had taken all of their new equipment digital."

GM stayed with Analog to guarantee coverage in rural areas not yet covered by digital systems. This was to ensure that if an airbag in one of the vehicles deploys, the vehicle can be contacted and 911 contacted even in rural areas.

Regarding
    "And I haven't even mentioned those VERY annoying radio ads they run with people in distress being saved by OnStar."

OnStar is an excellent safety feature that serves a very real purpose. Many other automakers realize this and are using the OnStar service (rebranded accordingly), or developing their own version of the service.
    "Professional reviews" build off each other. Once either negative or positive reviews start the others tend to follow. Most of the enthusiast press are also just that. They like sporty in your face styling and sport performance. Most of the buyers out there do not read the mags.

The most sucessful cars look good but tend to be conservative (mid size). Camry and Accord are the top sellers but they are about as bland as can be.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Mrs. Rogers has had her LaCrosse since January. She is crazy about the car. For my money, the most accurate review of the LaCrosse was done by Warren Brown of the Washington Post. The link is posted in message #894.
    The Brown review captures what is the essence of the LaCrosse. It is not a sports car for go real fast folks. That is what Pontiac is for, BUT it can go fast smoothly and quietly w/o raising a alot of attention.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    states in this wednesday's post on www.Autoextremist.com, the LaCrosse line should be limited to the top-of-the-line CXS, which, at $25,000 would be truly competitive in the market. That idea has my vote.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Yes, I agree that the Lacrosse is essentially the next generation Intrigue, and I agree with Autoextremist that it should be sold only in CXS form as one of the "keepers" in a pared down GM line-up. Let Chevrolet cover the under 25K sedan market with the Malibu and Impala.

While both of my Intigues (I had a '98 as well as the '01) were well put together and dependable, the model in general had quality issues, which was a shame. GM built it in one of their worst plants. The Lacrosse, on the other hand, is built in GM's best plant. This may be the single biggest improvement over the Olds.
    Why there are 3 trims (CX and CXL and a CXS) is unknown.

Should be 2 trims, CX and CXL and both should have the 3.6L standard. 3800 should not be sold in Buicks but if they are I could see it only in the CX as a entry value leader model. I hear the 3800 is going into the Lucerne which doesn't seem right to me.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I could not agree more. The 3.6 should be standard period.

The fact that the Lucerne getting the 3.8 is an absolute joke. A car that will be close to $30k and have the 3.8 with only 195hp is inexcusable. The 3.6 should be standard, period.
    My wife and I drove a CXS before she bought her CXL. My personal opinion is that the CXS is too stiff to drive on Northern frost heaved roads. If you live in the South or the West it may be okay, but please fly before you buy. I was also concerned that the seventeen inch rim/tire combination would not hold up to the chuck holes in the roads. My friend has already ruined a rim and a tire on his BMW 325iX shod with seventeen inch rims and tires.
    Concerning the 3.6 engine, I think it is too soon to put an unproven engine in a serious car like a Buick. Cadillac builds the least reliable GM cars. Let those people work out the bugs before the engine damages the Buick brand.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I've seen no statistics that say Cadillac builds the least reliable GM cars. None at all. Care to share?
    The 3.8 hasn't been a joke for me in 3 cars. It pulls the full weight of a LeSabre nicely. I'm surprised the smooth 4-speed transmission didn't get criticized also...

Check the 2000 rpm horsepower and torque for both engines in the following links someone provided in GM's Return of Might discussion:

3.6 LaCrosse: http://www.media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/2005%20HPT%20Library/HFV6/LaCros- se/2005_36L_LY7_Buick_LaCrosse.pdf

3800 LaCrosse: http://www.media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/2005%20HPT%20Library/90%20Deg%20- V6/2005_3800_L26_Buick.pdf

As I read those graphs at 2000 the horsepower is about 80 for each engine and the torque (more meaningful) is about 220 lb-ft in both. At 3000 rpm the horsepower in 3800 may be slightly hgiher than the 3.6. Torque at 3000-4000 may be slightly higher for the 3800.

Most of my perception of my car is leaving a stop sign or light in moderate driving. RPMs typical are 2000-3000. Torque at 3000-4000 may be slightly higher for the 3800.

My LeSabres do this handily. While I probably would enjoy a V8 that I have to work to keep from spinning tires if I'm not care, I find the 3800 very competent.

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I have no problem with the 3.8, it is a very good powerplant. It was in my GP.

I just do not think launching a new model with a 195hp V6 at $30k is going to cut it.

I can not think of any other car that the Lucerne will compete with that has so few hp. I know that this car is not about flat out acceleration, but people will notice that the Avalon... has much more power.

The 3.6 would make a much more attractive base engine. Mark my words - the press will slam the Lucerne for only having 195hp. Right or wrong consumers remember negative reviews.
    Here is where there are many opinions on what a car should ride and handle like. When the Regal came out it was calibrated to ride like a Buick of old with some handling capability. It got awful reviews from the press and Consumer Reports on a floaty ride. The car was then tightened down a bit and was acceptable to the press. BUT got a great number of complaints from the older drivers (60+) that wanted the ride of the old rear wheel drive Buicks. Cannot satisfy everyone.

The CX and CXS were tuned to give a slightly better ride than the Camry and kept most of the Camry handling characteristics. Most consumers would not be able to tell the difference. Also has better ride than the Accord. (remember that Accord and Camry have a huge part of midsize market) The Accord handles slightly better than the base LaCrosse.

The CXS rides about like the ES330 (same suspension as Camry with different spring and bushing rates) but the CXS has better handling. The ES330 rolls more over undulating roads. CXS has better handling than the Camry, Accord and ES330. The ride is much smoother than A6, Passat.

It is very hard to get both a good ride and great handling. The Germans compromise a smooth ride for better handling. They also tend to put very expensive suspensions in their cars to try and get both. If you live down south you will find that the ride is acceptable in these vehicles because you do not get the sharp impacts of the north.

There are very few cars being made now that have a better impact harshness than the LaCrosse in the mid size market. I would say the ES330 is one. The ES330 is a luxury car with no pretenses of sporty handling. The Camry is another. Any one know of any others? I have not driven the Ford 500 nor it's twin.

Todays drivers are demanding better handling and also bigger wheels for appearance. Handling and bigger tires go together but you lose the soft ride.
    great engines - right up there with the old MOPAR "slant six". Durable, trouble-free with plenty of torque, real-world adequate power AND phenomenal MPG, no small consideration these days. It needs what the 3.6 has - aluminum block, overhead cams, variable displacement - all to get another 50+ HP and make it competitive in the marketplace.
    The April 2005 Consumer Reports annual Auto issue lists the reliability of the Deville and SRX as below average. The CTS and Escalade are average. The STS and XLR are too new for a rating. Last year's issue had the Regal with a very reliable rating.
    All the more reason that the CXS in the mid $20K's would be a world beater, just as the recent Regal [before all the de-contenting after '02] was [though it never sold as well as it should have, IMO] in its time.
    What decontenting are you talking about?

ABS brakes?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have two Regal GS - 2000 and 2004.

From 2001 performance shift mode was deleted. From 2003 heavy decontent: side mirrors became unheated. The left side mirror used to be auto-dimming, no more. Magnasteer gone, as well as a lot of small things: The seats are less soft than used to be (less foam under the leather). Passenger side door lock was deleted. Change holder in console disappeared. The shifter speed indicator used to be illuminated; no more.
    You got most of them. Most people would not know unless they had the older car as you did.
  • jfgte8296jfgte8296 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I'll share. I'm a quality consultant and currently work for the federal government. The man I work for has owned 4 Cadillacs in the last 10 years. They all were complete pieces of .... He just bought a new SRX (very nice looking car) and it has been in the shop twice in the first month. His last car, an Eldorado, was in the shop at least once a quarter for the 4 years he owned it. He kept the records. All of them. The other two he owned were not very reliable either but like you he loves his Caddy. He just accepts the reality that they are nice cars that just are not reliable.

I’ve been a victim of this brand loyalty also. I HAD been a VW and Audi loyalist for the last 15 years. Now I own and love my Buick. That is what poor quality does some times. It drives loyal owners away.

Oh, and take a look at any quality magazine that rates reliability for cars and you will see Cadillac at the very bottom of the list. Consumer reports did say they have one good model this past year however.

We have a saying in the quality business, “Hope is not a method.” Cadillac must be hoping their customers don’t get tiered of the repair shop.
    the germans are known for providing both a very comfortable ride and good handling. i take issue with the lacrosse offering a much smoother ride than the passat.

the problem with the lacrosse is that the top model gets in the low $30k price range where more desirable cars can be had.
    I had a '99 LS and still own an '02 LS. After '02 or '03, no more superb Monsoon radio available. What's interesting is that the inferior Chevy Impala twin sells like crazy - 250,000 last year alone. I know, it's cheaper, has more dealers, but still...
    I guess the definition for smoother needs to be defined.

Tire impacts/isolation- Small inputs (tar strips in the highway) are felt thru the steering wheel and seat. These are perceived as a whack, whack, whack. Larger diameter tires really effect this and lower rate stab bar bushings and shock valving mitigate this. However this "loosens" up the handling.

Larger impacts such as potholes are more total vehicle movement with quick inputs to the car. The tires tend to hit the jounce bumpers and large bangs and car movement results. Higher spring rate springs and stiffer jounce bumpers mitigate this and handling can be improved but the car feels stiffer which worsens the next ride input.

Undulating roads cause the car to float. this is more like wowwee's in the road. You get a let of head toss and can cause car sickness if bad enough. Here stiffer springs and higher shock valving rates mitigate this. Again isolation and impacts are now worse. If you have low rate valving for the isolation the car tends to porpoise up and down on these roads continuously for a couple cycles.

I only drove the Passat once about 4 years ago so you may be right but at the time I felt it had that great german handling with precise steering and decent "ride". The car did not float as much as the CXS but the Passat did have more impact harshness and less isolation. Now these were done in back to back testing on controlled roads. Others may have a different opinion but that was the consensus of the group.

Where you live really does sway your opinion on ride. In the south (and Germany) cars like the Audi and VW's are very acceptable for ride overall especially with the undulating roads that are the worse you get. In the north they get a bit rougher on the broken concrete and huge tar strips.
    living in the upper midwest i can stipulate that some roads are in pretty pathetic shape. in wisconsin we have two seasons, winter and road construction.
    The radio experts tell us that RDS is not taking off. It is not expanding to other areas and stations that do not have it due to the huge initial capital outlay. But who knows, with XM and Sirius exponentially growing the old style radio stations may have to do it to compete.
    Lots of people love the 3.8L. It has been around forever and is durable and proven. Issue is it is noisy. the 3.6 is a modern powerplant that is designed to be quiet and more refined. The 3.6 does cost a whole heck of a lot more.
    >Issue is it is noisy

Have you driven one? Is it noisy in a LeSabre? Is it noisy in a LaCrosse?
    I don't find it noisy.

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Most people would not know unless they had the older car as you did.

A famous Russian satirist said that Soviet shoes are great and people would wear them with pleasure would not they see foreign-made boots.

Do you know that you almost literally quoted him?

P.S. That was not about footwear, but about USSR.
    noise is not an issue when cruising but it sounds like farm machinery when accelerating.
    Yes I have driven every Buick. Also compared to many other vehicles. OHV technology combined with old engine technology just adds up to a non refined sound. Compare to Camry 4 and 6's. Then listen in a Lexus with the increased body noise enhancements. For the LaCrosse there were many improvements on the 3.8 to improve noise such as a structural oil pan. It is much better in the LaCrosse and most would find it acceptable.

But I am glad many find it a great engine. It is. Especially for the cost.
    It is my understanding that the Regal GS with the supercharged engine has a heavy duty version of the transmission that is in the 3.8 versions of the LaCrosse. Since the 3.8 is the most durable engine, I wonder if GM should put the heavy duty transmission in so they could offer the most durable drivetrain. If they did not want to make it standard because of cost, maybe they should bundle it in a trailer towing package with a transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, etc.
    Where did you get the data on the HD trans in the 3.8 LaCrosse? I was not aware of that. May be true but please let me know where you got the info. I do know that only one RPO code is now used for both trans.

HD trans is needed due to the HP increase of the supercharged engine. GM trans are pretty durable.
    Just checked the Buick site and it confirms that the HD trans is used on the 240 hp 3.6L only.
    What site has that information? That would be interesting to see.

I apologize if my post was confusing. I was trying to say that the Regal GS has (had) a heavy duty transmission, and it would be nice if it were offered in the 3.8 versions of the LaCrosse.
This discussion has been closed.