Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I had a black car in my past. It wasn't as hard to keep clean as I had thought. The time that was irritating was in the winter with the salt spray or salt powder that was on the roads. Even when dry the powder would stick to the paint. I suspect newer waxes reduce some of that tendency to stick easily. (I noticed my car wash Turtle Wax seemed to make dust stick more than when the car had been washed at the dealer when it was in for service. So I bought their Malco car wash.)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I keep seeing the rear as more and more show up being driven around out area. I think GM kept the rear so there was nothing remarkable or unique or identifer about it. That way no one is going to say, "I don't like the chrome on the trunk or I don't like the shape of the taillights."

• sscott1sscott1 Member Posts: 22
    It sounds like you and I have similar tastes. I have an 05 CXS. I traded a 99 Regal GSE. I chose the Regal over the Intrigue mostly for ride quality and seat comfort. Very much a matter of taste. I had good luck with my Regal. I would be interesting in your CXS gas mileage. Mine started at 19 and is all the way up to 19.8 combined city highway after 4k miles. Very disappointing!
    Have you tried resetting your DIC and seeing what mileage you get on highway driving at normal speeds without stoplights? Now that you're past the initial breakin period start seeing what you get without the cold starts on a normal drive.

• wildcat1wildcat1 Member Posts: 6
    So far I have not kept track officially on the mileage, as I do not expect the best mileage until @ 4,000+ miles, but my regular routine routes that I take every week indicate that I am filling up at the same intervals as I did in the Intrigue. It may be several months before I take a trip long enough to test highway mileage, but I will post the results when I do.

For the record, my trips in the Intrigue @70mph resulted 27-28 mpg. I once crossed 30mpg at 55-60 mph on rural routes with no traffic. I was always satisified with the 3.5's performance, smoothness & economy, but realize that it was below the mpg of the 3.8 engine.
  • neshapopneshapop Member Posts: 22
    I am still drooling about sapphire blue because my old Regal 91' had the same color, driving one cloudy morning to work there was one in front of me and it looked really good. Somehow in different light or dusk it was just transforming all kind of shades before my eyes. Black onyx is classic but ...I must admit that paint job was done very well. Let's how it will handle winter streets in Toronto, city dumps a lot of salt like there is no tomorrow.
    I did the same thing last weekend while me and my wife were going to some wedding 120 mi one way and I monitored consumption at 75 mph with cruise control and one stop for snack and coffee. We really enjoyed green, red and yellow tree colors on a sunny day. It worked out to 29 mpg both ways! As I mentioned earlier once I got amazing 34 mpg but with 55-65 mph on the flat terrain. I know that CXS will more thirsty but also it will be more refined than my old style 3.8L. Somehow after all those sound deadening improvements famous growl of pushrod is more annoying than my old Regal and those loud Integrity GY tires but it still has great pick up and control. It runs better on 75 mph than 60-65, the engine had full stretch at 2200 rpm.
    Reset it at 3K miles to eliminate the history of idling while at the dealers lot. I have taken no long trips since I got it. Longest was 45 miles of interstate. It got up as high as 20.2, but has settled at 19.8. I use to run with the instantaneous mileage showing on my Regal and the CXS definitely is worse in all conditions. This past weekend of a little city driving dropped it to 19.6. Of course, it gets less sensitive to short trips as the miles used for the average calculation go up. Right after I reset the DIC it dropped 0.2 while sitting in line at a drive through. That surprised me.
    I got the Sapphire blue and it is cool looking. You can say what you want about performance, handling etc. but if you don't like what you see when you walk up to it in a parking lot, you are loosing part of the thrill of owning a nice car. I considered the Cardinal Red, but my last two cars were red and I decided I needed a change. The black looks good too. I once had a black car. It's a little like owning a convertible. Every one should own one just so you know not to get another. :)
    >I once had a black car. It's a little like owning a convertible. Every one should own one just so you know not to get another. :)

Now what's wrong with a black car?

We had no choice about the color...all the models were gone early August in 45 mi. range with configurations we wanted (folding rear seat as "must have") so we made a deal to have one option extra (column shift w/ 6 seats) for black onyx color. Now when I see other Allures on the street I see that I got 2nd runner after Sapphire Blue and Cardinal Red. Other colors are just too plain...

Black onyx works great with chrome handles, even domestic car haters asked me "What is this? Buick!?!" I think Buick is moving in right direction with style as entry level luxury cars. I see new Lucerne has even more ammunition to fight imports.
    I tried it today. With the instantaneous economy on at 75 mph and 2500 rpm on straight level road it gets 22 mpg.
    I have the auto HVAC. When you use the remote start and unlock the door and get in the car the engine is running and AC is running. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to on, the engine and AC stops and then the engine restarts and it takes 10 seconds or so for the AC to restart. On a 95 degree day that is a long 10 seconds. I think the remote start will be more useful in the winter.
    Ha! Nothing really. Technically black is hotter, but not that much worse than other dark colors. Same with showing dust and dirt. Painters will tell you black is really tough to get looking right. It shows every little flaw in the body. Factory paint is pretty good these days, so the only worry is if you wreck it and have to have body work done. My first car was black (57 Chevy) and I have not owned another.
    That's really bad, just one thought...while I was at Customer Appreciation Night in PBG dealership the host told us to use recommended gas type especially during break-in period. Putting premium in early phase of break-in period may confuse computer and ETC. Can it be the problem, just guessing? Although with those gas prices I was looking for the car with regular setup for fuel requirements. CXS should use the same...
    I did buy a black back in 1980. Beautiful. Not that difficult to keep clean other than winter salt. I did some touch up painting due to rust after many years at one of the wheel wells. It was hard to match the gloss.

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I too have an Intrigue, a 2000 GL. I love my car and will consider a CXS for it's replacement. Although I like the LaCrosse enough, I often wish it had a more aggressive look, especially the front end.
    Yea, me too on the regular gas. My old car required premium, although when it got above $1.50 I started using mid-grade. It ran okay with just a slight lose of power, but it had plenty with the supercharger any way. It hurt mileage by 0.5 mpg or so. I have used regular in the CXS from the start. I made absolutely sure that premium was not required. I read some place that the 3.6L engine has 10.2:1 compression ratio. That is very high for regular gas. I think the VVT can compensate for the timing retard needed to avoid nock. I haven't read much about the VVT system and how it works. I assume it is tied into the engine management computer and if it was not working correctly it would display an error code. The dealer checked and there were no codes at 3K miles.
    It is a Buick afterall. The grills all have a similar look so you can tell its a Buick coming down the street although its hard to tell the different models apart at a glance. I'm a little surprised at the relatively vertical grille angle. This is a departure from the "aero look" of the 90's. I guess the drag coefficient is not as big of a deal as it once was.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Do others feel the front end needs improvement? Perhaps a change to the headlights?

I like the quad headlights but feel the oval grille needs to be changed. I know it is a traditional Buick grille but maybe something more like the Lucerne?

I also like the car best with the extra chrome trim. Bling is in!
    grills are grills. They let the air thru and into the radiator. They do not effect the Cd that much.
    Watch out for the Nov issue. Is it out yet?
  • wildcat1wildcat1 Member Posts: 6
    OK, on the highway today, the DIC showed 33 instant MPG for my 06 CXS at 60mph on one of the few flat stretches we have in southwest CT. I use only 87 octane fuel. My "average" was 19.4 according to the computer.
    I agree on the bling. I got it on my CXS. Funny how that comes and goes. I'm old enough to remember the fifties gawdy chrome erra. Then the eighties monochrome look which I never liked that much especially the wheels. There is nothing like shinny chrome wheels to set a car off.
    Front end of the Lucerne is much more substantial. I like Buick grills, I just find the LaCrosse to be a bit wimpy for a Buick. Now if the Lucerne had a base 3.6L, that would be a perfect car.
  • rjblancorjblanco Member Posts: 2
    I have had various problems with my Lacrosse CSX. The first was the vibration. After repeated visits to the dealer, they finally turned down the front rotors, and the problem went away.
    Now I am having some interesting discussions with them about what they are going to do in the future when I need to have the rotors turned one more time, and they can't because it won'y meet safety specs, who is going to pay for the new rotors. :mad:
    Did you push the reset button while you have the mileage on average setting? And then watch to see what it showed while you're actually cruising along? I sounds like you're keeping the average since the beginning of the car's life rather than resetting it occasionally.

E.g., on a trip to the border (Indiana) for Powerball tickets on I-70 my 03 LeSabre gave 38.5 mpg including about 3 miles with stoplights and two stops at stores. I drove 60 mph over and 57 on the way back.

• rjblancorjblanco Member Posts: 2
    When I first drove my Lacrosse I started to hear a slight noise while shifting from first to second. Gradually this noise grew to a shudder and/or a thump when it hit second. Various trips to the dealer yield only "sounds ok to me". The last time I told them I did not want the car back until it was fixed. The second day the told me that they had seen and heard the problem and that GM engineers in the support area had told them "this was a known problem. They could replace about 6 parts in the second gear area, but that the problem would most likely come back." After many careful words on each side I asked the dealer to give ne a yes or no answer. Does GM have a fix for this? After a few seconds of silence, the answer was NO! But they could have a fix in two days or two months, they are working on it. Meanwhile I can't sell my car because I have to tell the buyer that the LaCrosse has a problem that GM can't fix yet.
    Anyone there have problems like this?
    :mad:
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The LaCross transmission is not a new design. It was around for many years, at least from 1997 with the previous generation of Regals, Pontiac GP, etc., and I do not know how many years before. It had a good reputation concerning reliability, as is typical with GM transmissions.

Probably, GM changed something recently. Either some parts, or just the software. They can fix the problem, if it is something fresh. Your car is under warranty. Moreover, transmission must be covered by the warranty even if it will break after 3 years / 36k miles, because you reported the problem to dealer while it was under warranty.

Personally, I would wait until GM will fix the problem. The biggest risk is not technical, but GM bankruptcy.
    Luckily the problems with noise at the front end are gone, after 3000 mi highway speed noise is consistent and normal. I guess honeymoon with this car is over ;) , old 3.8L engine delivers enough power and expected fuel consumption (22 mpg combined average) but sounds coarse. Now it does not seem vault quiet as before or I am imaging? All else OK so far...

I drove 3.5L 2006 Impala as rental at work and it sounded loud and felt way stiffer and cheaper than my Allure. Interestingly new Accord rear end looks the same as Impala 2006, I guess they were hammered for bland design for old models. :P
    Is the vibration you feel a pulsation in the brakes? This is a problem that GM has had for a couple of decades. I first had the problem on my 87 Pontiac 6000. The GM "A" body was notorious for this. I figured out on my own that it is caused by over torqued lugs nuts. Check your owners manual. GM now has it printed for all the world to see that over torqueing lug nuts causes this pulsation. I think it has to do with setting up stresses in the brake disk from the lug nut torque. Then when you drive the car and heat up the disks you relieve some of the stress. When the car sits and the disks cool, they warp. It takes very little run out of the disk to feel it in the peddle. I have decided to insist that the dealer hand torque the lugs to the factory 100 ft-lb spec. I have done this in the past with my dealer and I get the same tune that they have torque guns that are set to the correct torque and hand torqueing is not neccesary. I will recheck the lug torque myself before driving the car off the dealer lot. Maybe they will get tired of seeing me do this and do it themselves to passify me. The problem is it only takes one heat cycle in the disks to warp them, then your only alternative is to turn the disks. You are correct that this can only be done to a point then new disks are required. I would be surprised if you win that one with the dealer, but it's worth a try.
    Sounds like you have the same mileage problem I have. I can't say what I get at 60 mph, I drive on interstates with 70 mph limits. If I drive 60 I get run over by trucks. At 75 mph I get 22 mpg and at 70 it is 23. I did notice something interesting that may be a clue to the source of the poor mileage. My old Regal would cost down to 45 mph from 70 in a certain distance. The CXS takes a much shorter distance to coast down to 45. That means too much rolling resistance. I will try shifting to N and see how much coast distance I get. That should narrow it down to wheel friction or power train friction. I also noticed that the car turns 2500 rpm at 75 and others have reported a lower rpm at that speed. If the transaxle has too much friction that could explain the higher rpm and the poor mileage.
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    OK...I'm the wise guy who asked whether a navigation system would be an option in 06, as I (evidently stupidly) like the one in my TL. Many of you indicated that for whatever reason (faceplate design, minimal penetration in this market, etc.) that it would not be an option. I presumed that this would be the case for all GM midsize models. I guess I was having a "boyracer" moment and went to Pontiac's website, only to discover that their Grand Prix has a nav as an option. So...I'm perplexed. No nav on a LaCrosse or, from what I think I read, the Lucerne, but one available on a Grand Prix, a Trail Blazer, etc.??? Although a Garmin aftermarket probably does work best and has more applications, this target market does care about aesthetics. Otherwise, we could just put one of those $5 drink holders on the door in the window frame, circa 1985. Anyway, I guess that my rant is that I want the option of a Nav and think that GM missed the boat. I'll shut up now (as I look for a newer TL or used STS, w/ Nav).
    The Grand Prix uses the "brick" radio. When the LaCrosse was designed interior styling and quality was more important (Lutz/higher end positioning) and the IP was designed to be more flowing and integrated. Therefore it tooled up a new faceplate that blended in with the IP. All future GM vehicles soon after the LaCrosse use a new radio system that is common and interchangeable (except Cadillac which gets there own set of "blended" in radios. Therefore Nav will be easier offer in all other vehicles. Yes perhaps GM missed the boat on nav on the LaCrosse.

If the nav unit starts to penetrate more than what it was penetrating at and becomes profitable they will probably spend the tooling money to offer. Have you visited a Toyota or Honda store lately? What percentage of their stock do they have nav units in? I have not been to one in about 2 years and at that time they did not stock any because no one was buying them at $2000.. Perhaps it is different now?
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    ...though I'm not sure if it'll be available in baseline (CX) models. (if they don't, it'd be in keeping with what most makers seem to be doing- eg. I believe Honda offers nav only on the EX Accord, and now, Civic). What I don't understand is how, if Garmin can offer a free standing unit for approx. $700, why must they be nearly treble that price for an integrated unit. $2000 seems to be the price most makers have agreed on. If they were to offer navs for half that, I bet market penetration would jump from 2 percent (or thereabouts, I've heard) to, well who knows- but alot more than 2 percent!
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I replied about the aftermarket Nav. You understand my position, and I understand yours.

I have my Garmin C320 mounted at the driver A pillar with the cord running over the steering column and down the side of the console and up into the console where the power plug is. It is fairly inconspicous, but still a ghetto solution compared to the in-dash units that have larger screens and look ultra-cool.

I realize that these are small volume units at their current price, but I also feel GM has had a disincentive to offer Nav as it offers an alternative to some OnStar functions and would compete with that.

If guys won't stop and ask for directions, why would they call OnStar and ask?
    They do COST close to $2000. Not sure why but there is little profit at $2000. I do know that auto electronics are almost always significantly more than retail available anything because they DO NOT meet the stringent requirements of automotive testing.
    The high cost of built in may be due to high profit for the company building the unit for the car company (Delphi), and high profit for the company making the car.

Did not know that Delphi made them. Believe Panasonic is the source for many of GM's. Could have been someone else.
    LaCrosse made the recommended buy list at Consumer Reports. This was in the first year of production which is not granted easily. Due to how well the reliability was in it's first year of production and the high level of quality in the previous Century and Regal it was granted the status usually only a few cars such as the Japanese cars such as Accord and Camry get.
    I am not a big fan of CR but it should help LaCrosse sales.
    I don't like CR because they are biased especially against GM, even for this year CR was better PR than any Toyota magazine. :mad:

I am actually surprised about this recommendation for new Buick :confuse: Strangely nobody considered NTHSA source for build quality and reliability. My in-laws and wife ran me through the mud citing similar drill from CR or car media reviews trying to convince me to buy Japanese. Now all of them admit that Allure/LaCrosse is a great car...

Anyway I did my homework before I bought my Buick Allure 2005 and compared it to Malibu LS V6 (my 2nd choice), Camry, Accord and Altima. BTW in Toronto those bare bone import 4 cyl. trims base prices were 2-3K$ higher (+ 15% taxes + all fees on the top of that) than Buick.

Here is what I found today at NTSHA site (numbers were a bit lower in July/August):
    Model-Year /Recalls/Defects/TSBs/Complaints
    Accord-2005 /2/0/62/44
    Camry-2005 /1/1/17/85
    Altima-2005 /0/0/21/60
    Malibu - 2005 /0/0/60/23
    LaCrosse/Allure - 2005 /1/0/22/34
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    In the city today (manhattan), and now i find someone selling them on ebay for the lacrosse! I think they make the car look $1000 more expensive, at least.

What do you think?

It would make sence for GM to offer them on at lease the top versions of the Lacrosse, since the new lucerne will now have them. They look great, like they belong there.
    They are the Park Avenue portholes. Before you buy from ebay call GM parts for a price.

These allow air to go thru them to be "realistic". Do people feel that to use the portholes on a Buick they should be "real"?
    Not on my LaCrosse!
    2005 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

PASSENGER CARS:
    Premium Mid-Size Car - Nissan Altima/Buick LaCrosse
    Standard Mid-Size Car - Mazda6

http://www.autopacific.com/sub.php?...roup=243&id=668
    Bad link in message. I get garbage when I click.

Here it is again, sorry sometimes copy paste does not work.

http://www.autopacific.com/sub.php?action=view&sub=&section=12&type=60&group=243&id=668
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    According to the GM announcement today, car plant #2 in Oshawa, Ontario will be closed by 2008 at the end of the current car lines (LaCrosse/Allure and Grand Prix)production. This seems like a very short run for the LaCrosse/Allure.

Any rumors on the replacements?

Oshawa car plants #1 & 2 are number 1 in North and South America for quality and productivity.
    The Impala line is going flex for the next generation and all 3 sedeans and the Monte Carlo will be built on one line.

That's my understanding. It's making full use of one plant rather than having 2 build these sedans.
This discussion has been closed.