Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Perhaps the Zeta platform can be stretched. Interesting to note that they will shortly be offering a stretched DTS -8" longer. I don't like rear wheel drive cars after owning a Mustang which was hell on wheels in the snow and rain but I do like Cadillacs. If they try and downsize the DTS I'll start looking around at other cars.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The zeta platform is similar to the sigma platform, but less expensive to build, and somewhat less refined. So, I would think that the Carmaro is at the small end of the range for this platform. The Carmaro concept is about 80 inches wide, so I would guess that zeta sedans would be wider than the sigma sedans. The Holden cars are the same width as the current DTS. So I would think the a zeta DTS will be very similar in size to the current model, probably with a longer wheelbase. I would not expect the DTS to be a "sport sedan" and therefore will not come in a _V edition. But perhaps an extra long version might be possible.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Cadillac already will have a stretch version of the DTS planned for later this year so you are probably right. Looks like the Zeta platform can be larger or smaller. It will be interesting to see what the car looks like. I'm not impressed with the front end on the DTS. My '03 was a lot better looking. I may just keep it until the new design comes out.
    I think that the stretch version of the DTS is more for the limo market than anything. But, perhaps a consumer version will be available too. I looked at a 2007 SRX and I like the basic vehicle I think. I am interested in getting a program SRX (2006 or later on, a 2007).
    No input on this list since January 5 and it is now February 5. Doesn't anyone have anything to comment on?
    I read an interesting review of the 2006 DTS the other day. An owner says that his 2001 DHS was much better -rode better because of the 16" tires, had a locking gas filler door, and the dash was much better. He said he should have bought a used 2005. Has anyone with a 2006 or 2007 owned a 2000-2005 Deville and can compare them? I'm hesitant to get an 06 or 07 after that review.
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    I own a 2005 Deville base model and like it! We had a 2006 DTS base model rental for a weekend when my wife's LaCrosse needed to be in the shop. I drove the 2006. I wouldn't trade mine for it. I thought the same things as the other guy did. It didn't ride as good because of the 17" tires that are standard on the DTS. I also like the dash better in mine and the seats for comfort. It's still a nice car. Rent one for a couple of days and see how you like it. Drive it in the city, highway , bad roads, etc. That should help you decide!
    One thing the guy commented on was the length of the back seat - 20" in his 2001 and 18" in the 2006. I'm also not impressed with the dinky climate control -exactly the same as in my new Impala but automatic. My 2003 is lots more user friendly.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    All of this is getting quite depressing! I too will be in the market in a few months, looking to replace my leased ES330. I'm one of the few not happy with the Lexus, as I find the leg room for myself (6'1") not adequate, and the transmission hesitation that Toyota products are famous for, very annoying. I was hoping to get the DTS, as I always loved the good old American luxury ride. The Town Car is way too out dated, and I don't see the same level of luxury with the Lucerne. So if the DTS is not worth it, then what is? Getting into a higher level Lexus or BMW etc. is a much higher price range, which unfortunately is out of the question. Any thoughts?
    All the official reviews of the DTS say that the ride is comfortable. I'm with you. I'm not crazy about a Town Car because every Ford I've owned has had multiple annoying problems (check engine light etc etc). My 2003 Deville has been trouble free. It is also (in my opinion) a lot better looking than the 2006/7 DTS. Unfortunately things change and I'll probably get a 2007 DTS after the 2008 models come out. I like the fact that the dash is lower and the front seat goes back farther. The ride is still probably OK but I wish that Cadillac would quit trying to create a sports sedan out of a Deville/DTS. All they will succeed in doing is driving their established customers away. I don't want a "European" sports sedan. I got suckered into a new Audi 5000S in 1986 -biggest lemon I ever owned. I want a big, luxurious, comfortable trouble-free car for long distance trips. I don't care about "edge" styling or all the handling and performance garbage that the professional testers love. I once had a '72 Eldorado. Perhaps I should look for another one. For the price of a DTS I'm sure that I could have one restored as good as new. It was big, comfortable, and I never had a problem with handling or performance. Gas mileage was lousy but when I got to 20 mph and tromped it down I could pass everybody on the road.
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    I agree. Don't turn the Deville/DTS into a sport sedan. You probably could get a better ride out of the new DTS by changing the tires. Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds are an excellent riding tire according to reviews. They are even starting to put them as standard equipment on the 2007 Chrysler 300C. They had been putting some junk on them for the last 2 years. For the price of a Cadillac, there should be better tires on it from the factory!
    I guess we must be part of a dying breed, not wanting firm seats and cracker jack handling. I agree that there's nothing wrong with wanting a comfortable cruiser for long trips etc. Isn't the new CTS going to be that kind of a "sport sedan"? Hopefully, they'll keep in mind that the DTS is a car for a different clientele.
    What is wrong with Michelin? The Michelin tires on my '03 are just fine. Why did GM switch to a cheaper tire on the DTS? When I buy one the factory tires will immediately be switched to Michelins.
    I have a friend with a CTS. The ride is stiff and the front seat area is cramped. My new Impala rides a lot better and has much more front seat and cargo room. It beats the CTS hands down at $10,000 less.
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    I have driven several Devilles between the years of 2003-2005 (rentals for business trips). Based on those rentals I decided to purchase (after test driving) a 2006 DTS. I went for the Performance model because of the better ride and handling. I am 6’ 2” + and needed the extra room that the 2006 offers. It is so much better than previous years. It is really great on super highways and holds to the road as if it were glued to the asphalt. City driving is not that great because of the size and large turning radius, but that applies to previous years as well. The seats are so much more comfortable than previous years.

The appearance of any car is purely a subjective matter for each to decide what they like. I think that the 2006 is OK but Cadillac has never been the best looking car on the road anyway.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a locking gas cap.

As the other responder indicated – rent one for a couple of days and decide how you like it although bear in mind that most rentals are base models and stepping up to the next level or two can only be an improvement.
    I'm glad to read your comments. I'll probably get the Luxury II package but I was glad to note that you thought the ride and seats were comfortable and that the 2006 was an improvement over the 2005. Thanks for the insight.
    It should be noted that the performance model has magnetic suspension, which probably improves the ride.
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    Magnetic ride suspension does absolutely improve the ride. The larger tires (Bridgestone) also help.
    There are a number of Certified 2006 Performance models available on Cars.com. I'll get one of those next winter. It will be less expensive than a Certified 2007 and there seems to be no difference. That will hold me until the next model change in 2010 or 11. The comments on the Performance model ride vs the Luxury II sold me. I once had a 2002 LeSabre Limited with the touring suspension and the car rode and handled much better than the base LeSabre with the regular suspension. The base model floated too much.
  • muskiesmuskies Member Posts: 1
    The tire issue has me worried and I am wondering if I should cut a deal to replace the standard 17 inch tires with something better. Any thoughts?
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    The DTS Luxury II I purchased is everything I expected and more. It is a new 2006 model that the dealer could not sell because of the color ( which I really like)- blue chip. In just 2 weeks time, I am hooked on Cadillac!
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    I'm glad you love your Cadillac, too. I've had my DTS since July '06 and it is far & away the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only issues I've had have been a bad Bose stereo display (completely replaced) and the rear deck-lid brake light has developed a couple of hairline cracks. I've not made an appointment to have that fixed yet.

I still have the most desirable vehicle in our office....I always have to drive to lunch or off-site meetings. Everyone is impressed with the technology (adaptive cruise, parking sensors, XM radio, heated/cooled/massaging seats, etc.) and they love to play with the toys whenever we go somewhere.

I chose a dark color (black) for the first time, and find myself obsessing over keeping it clean, but the finish still looks fantastic with only one wax job since I bought it.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks robw64. It sounds like I should have gone for the Adaptive Cruise Control as well. I also find myself being the chosen one to drive my colleagues to meetings- scheduled or not scheduled! The rap that the DTS takes from some of the car magazines I routinely read about being clumsy and cheap interior materials is just not accurate. I like the size, security, and way it handles- and the interior is first class (Cadillac).
    John...I can't believe a dealer had trouble selling a blue chip DTS. I think that's one of the classiest colors (my favorite, along with black!). Well, I guess to each his own!
    Does anyone know what differences there will be between the 2007 and 2008 DTS? There don't seem to be any significant changes except for option groups and the extended powertrain warranty between 2006 and 2007. I wonder when the new model with rear wheel drive will be out.
    Autoweek has a brief article on the planned V-12 Cadillac which looks just like the Sixteen with those ridiculous huge tires. It was mentioned that there would be a V8, a performance V8 and the 12 which is essentially two 3.6 litre V6's on one camshaft. I assume that the next DTS will look like this which would be attractive if it has smaller tires. If Cadillac ceases to appeal to the older people who purchase the Deville/DTS it will lose big time. Regardless what auto magazines say about the DTS, it is Cadillac's biggest seller. Not all of us want a sports sedan.
    The Autoweek pictures are the Sixteen show car I think. What the actual V12 production car will be is probably still on the drawing boards. In fact, if they are planning on using the Zeta platform for the V12, then even the platform is still in the design stage. The V8-V12 Cadillac will be very expensive, probably 75 to 150 thousand dollars.

DTS sales have been dropping from over 100,000 in 2000 to less than 60,000 for 2006. The CTS sales were nearly as good for 2006. I will agree that not everyone wants a sports sedan. The RWD DTS will probably be a 2010 model. My guess is that it will be priced to sell, but the STS will have to move more up market I think. I think Cadillac will have to sort out just how the DTS and STS fit into the RWD picture at the dealerships. At present the DTS, with FWD, does not really overlap with the RWD STS. But, by 2010, the STS should be a 2nd generation model, so it needs to move away from the RWD DTS pricing range.
    You are right. The 2010(?) DTS will be on the Zeta platform.
    It will be interesting to see what Cadillac does with the STS. The CTS is a big seller but the DTS still outsells it, probably because of the commercial market - limosines, rental cars, etc. I've never seen a CTS for rent but they are probably out there. I frankly don't see anything wrong with the FWD DTS especially the Performance model and that is what I'll be looking for next winter -a certified one of course.
    No messages since mine. I wonder if all the Cadillac buffs have passed on. Perhaps the DTS is really designed for the elderly.
    I rolled 10,000 miles on my '06 DTS Luxury III just this past weekend. The car still looks & drives great. In fact, after trading rides to use our '01 Chevy Tahoe one day last week, the Caddy came home with a nail in the tire which required a patch. After the repair and full balance/rotate/alignment the car rides smoother than it did before (I've seen several posts regarding a very minor vibration at highway speeds on these platform vehicles....mine had it, too).

I still have not taken it in to have the rear deck brake light replaced (hairline cracks are visible....see earlier post) and the "replace battery in remote key" message still comes on every time I start the car, no matter which key fob I use and no matter that I just replaced the battery again. It's a minor annoyance, but clearly there is something wrong with the receiver. I tried requesting a service appointment on my local dealer's web site and got no response at all.

I absolutely love this car. Cadillac is definitely the car I've "aspired to" since I was a kid, and I'm really enjoying this full-size cruiser. Although I'm not impressed with the service department at the dealership (at all), the car has been great.

My family recently asked me what kind of car I'll be going for next (I generally trade every 5 years). I can't really think of anything else I would want at this point, except maybe that V12 concept Caddy that we saw in the movie "The Island"......absolutely gorgeous. If GM built that vehicle they'd sell every last one.
  • newcarformenewcarforme Member Posts: 35
    I have a question here for those of you who are very familiar with the DTS. I have been searching and looking in to buying an 06-07 Impala SS. After negotiating, esearching, etc. I know everything about the vehicle.

I have now turned my sights to a DTS and I'm intrigued. I am looking to purchase a pre-owned Cadillac DTS as it seems too bring much more value and luxury for only $8-10,000 more.

My question is, are their any differences between an 06 and 07 DTS? If so, what are they?

Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about the car. :confuse:
    The changes are in colors, both interior and exterior. As far as equipment goes, no changes. Since you are going for a used one, you will have to choose from what there is anyway.
    From the advice in this forum I'd advise the Performance model because apparentely the ride is better with the magnetic suspension. I'll be looking for an '06/07 next spring and that is what I'll get. I have the base '03 Deville now. I also have an '06 Impala. There is no comparison between the Impala and Cadillac. The Impala gets better mileage but the Cadillac is a Cadillac. 'nuff said.
    The certified Cadillacs have a better warranty than new ones. Be sure you buy a "certified" one from a GM dealer. You will have a good choice if you stick with one of the big Cadillac dealers in a major city. I always go to Dallas/Ft. Worth even though it is 400 miles away.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    LOL, I wondered the same thing regarding the inactivity at many of these forums. I just did a post at Lincoln Towncar, I own both a Towncar and a Deville. There had been no post at Towncar since March 24th. I hope both these forums will become more active in the future.
    Just traded a 2004 Deville for a 2006 DTS. Annoying problem on the new car is that the shifter on the steering column is hard to move in reversing a downshift from any gear back to drive. My 2004 Deville was a little that way and I lived with it but this car is really difficult and after using much pressure to move the shifter I often end up in neutral and have had near misses of shifting in to reverse.
    Have other owners had this problem? Is it easy to adjust? Does it involve sealed parts? Would it involve leaving the car in the dealership overnight? Any owners with a similar experience and how they dealt with it would appreciated. I owned a 98 Deville and never remember having this problem and also own currently own a Lincoln Town car which has a super good shifter on the steering column with a button that
    when pushed automatically shifts the transmission into third gear. The shifter when needed is also very easy to move.
    These are questions that you should be asking your serice manager. This is one reason that I like the floor mounted shifter though. I now have an SRX with the six speed automatic and the console shifter with manual mode. To down shift I just move the lever over and then back to move down a gear. To restore auto mode, just move it back. But the DTS is not this sort of car.
    Recently bought 2006 DTS, now has a little over 400 miles on it. Have had stall outs at ignition a few times. Am taking the car to dealer service next week but wondered if other owners of the 2006 DTS have had ignition problems. I found some owner reviews at another web site saying that this year and model has problems with ignition system if not started every few days. I have owned two previous Cadillacs, a 1998 and a 2004, both Devilles. The 98 would some times stall out after the first ignition but then start and run. Any information on this issue from other 2006 DTS owners will be appreciated and will be helpful when taking the car in to the service dept. If you have had this problem it would be helpful to know how it was resolved.
    I just returned from a business trip which required that my '06 DTS sit in airport parking for 4 days. No problem starting the car at all upon my return.
    Thanks very much for your response. Today the car started just fine. When trying to re start in the local post office parking lot the car stalled out and the message "service security system" came on the message board. I waited about ten seconds and started again and although the ignition was weak the car started and was able to drive home. I found another Cadillac forum here at Edmunds where another owner reports similar problems to my own and a very difficult time getting them resolved. To find posts go to
    Cadillac forums, it is highlighted under 2006 DTS. The real
    concern I have is that the problem is intermittent and may be difficult to pinpoint. The car goes to service department next week and will post a follow up.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    considering a used DTS, between 2004 and 2006...do any of those years have specific packages which include HID xenon headlights??????????????
    Took the DTS to the Cadillac Service Department today explaining the the stall outs mentioned in the previous posts. They took the car in to service dept and worked on it and told me they had made some adjustments to the computer systems and all should be fine now. On the way home I stopped to do an errand and when re starting the car it stalled out just as it had previously. Than went on to do another errand and the car stalled out again. Each time it started on the second try. Each time the message was "service security system". Since I had already explained this to the service dept at the visit I will sleep on what to do next. I already have a file number going at Cadillac corporate so will let them know the outcome of my visit. I guess the worst case scenario is that
    the car will have to be towed to the dealership and I will end up driving what has been my totally reliable Lincoln Town Car for a few days or weeks.
    Just bought a new 2006 DTS and it has HID xenon headlights although I don't think the daytime lights are Xenon. Should mention that I traded a 2004 Deville which
    got about 10% better fuel economy. At first I wondered why
    and think that the 17" tires on the 2006 vs the 16" on the 2004 is part of the reason. Of course the tires on the 2006 have less than 800 miles on them as of today so there is much more tread and that also reduces fuel economy. The 2004 Deville did not have Zenon lights on my particular car. The door pockets on the 2004 where larger. One other feature I miss on the 2006 DTS is the that it does not have a lock on the fuel door. Both nice cars, the 2004 Deville is probably better value if you can find a low mileage car.
    If you do not tell the service department that their "fix" or adjustment did not work, they will assume that everything is fine and dandy. You should call them and tell them that the car still does not start up without stalling.

I wonder if the fuel you are using is the problem. This could be the case since you previous deVille also seemed to have the same problem.
    Just how does bigger tires reduce fuel economy? This makes no sense to me.
    I appreciate knowing that the 2006 has HID lights available, but did the 05 or 04 gave them as an option???...obviously your did not, but that does not mean they were not offered..............
    Not sure about the HID lights on the 04 and 05 models but you can get that information here at Edmunds by going to the research cars section there is both a section for new and used, you should start with used and look for standard features and if that doesn't answer the question you might try reading the reviews for the car also at Edmunds. A call to Cadillac might also help or if you know of a salesperson who has worked at a dealership for a while they may know or know where to find out easily. Hope that helps and please let us know how it all turns out for you. Will be happy to help with other information if you have more questions. Best wishes.
    Just checked the car research section here at Edmunds and while I can't say for certain the standard features for 04 and 05 Devilles did not indicate HID lights as standard equipment. There is a chance they were offered as optional
    my guess is that they were not available until th 06 model.
    The 2006 DTS is a re-engineered model, so there are some upgrades. I do know that the 2002 deVille did not offer HID lights, but the Turing Sedan version of the Seville (STS) did offer HID as part of an upgrade package. My guess is that if a deVille offered the HID lights, it would only have been on the DTS (or performance edition). The night vision was an option which has been dropped, while the HID lights are now standard.
    Standard tires on the 2006 models are P235/55R17
    Tires on the 2004 models are P225/60R16
    The 2006 tires are slightly bigger in diameter which means that the engine will run a bit slower. If anything the 2006 should get better fuel economy than the 2004.
    know much, I do know that in 2004-05, the Deville never had HID standard, but may have been available as an upgrade option.............which prompted my posts, hoping that someone with the option, or a sales rep, if it existed, might post a response
    I do know that they were not optional on the Deville in 2002, because I do have an Edmunds price guide for 2002. That is the last year that I have a printed Edmunds price guide. :cry: One thing that I do know is the GM does not upgrade models that will soon get a major redoing, as the Deville did for 2006. My guess is that the deville did not offer HID lights before 2006, or if they did, only the DTS model offered them.

Cadillac offered the HID headlights on the 2004 SRX with selective packages. On the 2006 SRX, the HID headlights were standard with the V8, but not the V6. The CTS did offer the HID lights with certain packages in 2003.