Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I thought they tried to compete with MB when they came out with the Allante in the 1980s, which, if I recall, was priced over $50K and was an expensive boat anchor...

Maybe I am the one snookered by advertising, but it just seems to me that Cadillac has tried for years to compete with the supposed quality and reputation of Mercedes, but has always fallen so far short that it is laughable...

Maybe now, as manufacturing methods seem to be coming together, Caddy makes a better car and MB has had quality problems, possibly due to their (supposed) arrogance...

But if/when MB gets its act together again, will Caddy even stand a chance, meaning can Caddy sell a $100K auto while S-Class autos now routinely surpass $100K sticker, and folks still buy it...

Caddy may make a great car, but will never command the proces of MB, as most folks simply do not place them as real competitors...maybe CTS competes with C-Class, but does a DTS REALLY compare to an S-600???...I would doubt it...
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Cadillac shipped both the Allante and the Eldorado Brougham off to Italy to give them some sort of European flair to justify putting a very high price tag on what was otherwise basically a copy of a cheaper production model. The Eldorado Brougham was basically the Fleetwood Sixty body, while the Allante was the Eldorado with the rear seat removed with a shorter body. Both cars should have had bodies that were designed to be stronger than the lower end Cadillacs.

However, beginning with the G-bodies (the 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora/Buick Riviera), GM has bodies that are comparable with the Mercedes E-class. The RWD sigma platform Cadillacs (CTS, STS and SRX) are probably even better than the FWD G-bodies. However, Mercedes has a long history of building high end vehicles, and Cadillac's history is one of building medium priced luxury cars, so Cadillac will not be able to demand the same price as a similar Mercedes.

The DTS is as big as an S-class, but the S-class has an even stronger, stiffer, more vault like body than the E-class, while the DTS body is probably not quite an E-class for structure. The sigma bodies are probably closer to the E-class.
    You help make my point...why is it always that we can't make a chassis that is stronger and stiffer like the MB???

While I am NOT a metallurgist, I simply will not believe that Caddy or any carmaker does not know that its chassis flexes too much or the suspension needs to be stiffened...

Why can't every Chevy, Ford and caddy have the suspension of a BMW???...unless BMW makes it cars out of gold, their suspensions could be duplicated by GM for pennies...their shocks are no different, they either use control arms or struts, and we could reverse engineer anything BMW (or Honda or Toy) does, and make our cars much better on the road...

Why don't we do it???...I am quite sure that BMW does not know any more about auto suspensions than we do, but they sure seem to implement it much better...we could do the same, and for less money, given our economies of scale...

Why???
    GM's G-body FWD cars were as good as BMW and Mercedes for chassis flex (or stiffness). Ride and handling are a combination of tire and suspension components. I think that Cadillac's sigma platform is as good as BMW or Mercedes. However, there are differences in tires as well as the suspensions. In the end, the customer has choices, and whether you like the Cadillac or the BMW better depends on personal choice. The sigma platform is expensive to build. I think the sigma suspension is a better design than BMW's. What Cadillac needs to do is not copy BMW, but design something better, which I think that they may have done. There is some question about whether the CTS should be compared to the 3-series, which is in the same price range; or is the CTS really a 5-series car since they are about the same size.

The DTS owners in this forum like the big FWD G-body and seem unwilling to consider any RWD de Ville replacement that might be smaller or more like a sports sedan. They are probably not interested in paying something like $100,000 for a DTS that really compares with an S-class Mercedes much less a Maybach.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    "They are probably not interested in paying something like $100,000 for a DTS that really compares with an S-class Mercedes much less a Maybach. "

Exactly--at least for me. Having become re-aquainted with RWD via my 300C, I wouldn't mind a RWD deVille as long as it's priced similar to today's DTS. But if it were to jump even to the XLR's price range I'd start looking at Buicks or another Chrysler.

And I am totally in agreement with idea that Cadillac should chart its own course. Trying to create an American MB or BMW will not likely convince any current MB or BMW owners to switch. They're really not buying the mechanical or handling nature of their cars. They're buying the cache.
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    Just an FYI. There are numerous reports of vibration problems on 2000-2002 model years.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_19040.html
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    I agree completely, Dispenser. I own a 2006 Luxury ll DTS, and don't want Cadillac to downsize this to a mid size. I not only like the ride and room, but feel much safer in this full size sedan. I'm also hoping Cadillac will stick with the FWD DTS.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Just got a 2007 DTS with 6,xxx miles. As nice as our 2005 Deville was, the 07 is that much better. Ride, power, handling, interior, fit and finish, etc., etc., etc! The price was right too.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    What trim line did you get and what trim line was your 2005? I drove the '07 Lux II and it didn't drive a lot different than my 2003 base model. I was going to get a Performance when I look for one in March but am happier with the Lux II ride. It feels more familiar.
  • guardsmanguardsman Member Posts: 3
    Good evening gentlemen. I have been following your discussion for a short period of time and can only add these few comments. If I get into an accident, I want metal ahead of me, not plastic, which the FWD offers considerably more of. I have test driven the CTS, SRX, ESCALADE, and all the rest and have found one thing true about the DeVille series. It provides the least road noise, windflow noises and eliminates the most exterior noises of any vehicle I have driven. I own a DTS and realize the only noise I can't eleminate is the 18 year old two or three cars behind me with their boom box blairing and vibrating every inch of the car including the windows.
    Frankly I didn't see a lot of difference ride-wise between the Lux II 2007 DTS and my '03 Base Deville but I only drove it a few miles on a test drive.I'll look for one in March. I liked the car and especially liked the Navigation System and noted that the sun roof didn't reduce head room as much as I thought it would. The dash is more cluttered than my '03 and I have the six passenger seating which makes the front seat area seem bigger. The bucket seats on the '07 are comfortable though. I like the Deville/DTS because unlike my Impala and the other cars I've owned (including big Buick sedans) you can drive all day on a road trip and actually walk upright when you get out. No back problems either. What trim line of '07 did you get?
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Sorry I took so long to reply, I didn't anticipate questions. We have the lux II. The 2004 we had with the heated/cooled seats definitely rode worse than the 07 with the h/c seats. Our 2005 rode pretty good, but we were pleasantly surprised at how much better the 07 DTS with the h/c seats drove and rode over the 2005 or 2004 Devilles. I found the same thing when I traded my 2006 Silverado ext cab 4x4 for the almost the same 2007 new style pickup, the 07 rides and drives much better. I believe the front bench is still available in the DTS, maybe not with the lux II package, but if you order one you may be able to delete the buckets and get the bench if that is important to you.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    Dispencer.......if you recall I mentioned in the past that I too will be cosidering a 2007 DTS in March. The Lux II seems to make the most sense. In my browsing at this point, however, I seem to see mostly the base or Lux I models. Most are program cars which tend to be lower level cars. I seem to recall you saying that you see many Lux II models out there. Where are you searching? I'm in the NY area, so I hope we won't be competing!! Seriously, what is your plan? Regards..
    I was looking in Ft. Worth. Apparently Cadillac has some sort of regional office in Dallas and they have a number of executive cars driven for 4,000 miles or so. These cars are tested and comments sent to HQ. Frank Kent Cadillac had several 2007 Luxury II cars as well as a Performance with 4300 miles on it. Price was $37,000 back a couple of months ago.I agree that most of the ex-rental cars are base models -mostly with the convenience package (heated seats,& memory essentially). I'm actually considering a Town Car though. I just came back from New Jersey this afternoon and rode in several livery Town Cars owned by a limo service. One 2005 car had 209,000 miles and the other 197,000. A third -a 2007 - had 80,000 miles. All rode identically. All were much better insulated than my 2003 Deville and lots quieter. I've never considered a Town Car before but I am frankly getting tired of Cadillac. They are developing a 'performance" image and I like an old big traditional ride. Nothing wrong with a DTS but I think I'll try something else. When a 200,000 mile car rides like new one, it is pretty impressive.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I hear what you're saying. I've been leasing cars for the last few years, as I'm very fickle and love the idea of a new car every 3 years. My first lease was a 93 Town Car. I still remember how much I loved that ride. The day before I returned it, I had to take a long solo ride to "say goodbye"! To keep costs down, I bought a Grand Marquis after that Town Car. Everyone told me that it's basically the same car for 10K less....so I bought it. Let me tell you it's not the same. It was ok, but not the same! I just wish they would have updated the TC somewhere along the last 15 years! That, combined with the limited 07-08 production, has made me look at the DTS. I wouldn't completely rule it out though. I guess I have a lot of shopping to do after the holidays. My 05 ES330 goes back in the middle of March. I'm one of the few who never loved that car....terrible transmission lag, poor leg room for someone over 6', etc. It just doesn't give that "special feeling".
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I own both a Town Car and DTS, 2005 and 2006 respectively. The DTS is the more crisp performer but the Town Car just feels more like a luxury car. I was JOKING with a friend the other day and said the Town car is like a budget Rolls Royce, he was riding with me and replied the car was really great. Of course the Town Car is not a Rolls Royce but it feels like a luxury car whereas the DTS feels more like a performance sedan.

Test drive both and decide which one you like better. Also consider the dollars in the lease terms they offer on both cars. I believe the Town Car is a nicer looking car and if I need to make a good appearance for a business appointment I like the Town car better. The DTS has been much more trouble prone, the Lincoln so far only a loose bolt on a door handle. Even if you have a lease you don't want to spend time on adjustments and repairs.

I like both my cars and if I had to part with one it would be a very hard choice in that the Towncar is older with 26,000 miles and the DTS has 5000 miles and was bought new.

If I can help with any other issues or questions please ask here, best wishes.
    I wrote you a note on the Town Car forum. I noticed in the specs on the TC that the front and rear legroom is less than the DTS (41.7 vs 42.4 or something like that). The pedals on the TC can be moved though. Do you notice any problem with leg room in your TC vice the DTS.? I keep thinking back to a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant that I bought new and had about the same leg room statistically as the present TC. Something was wrong however because I couldn't get comfortable. If the seat had gone back just an inch or two more it would have been fine. I turned it in on a LeSabre in a month.. I'll try and find a TC next week so I can sit in the driver's seat. My '03 Deville is just fine. Anything less and the TC won't be considered.
    I have never measured the two cars (2006 DTS and 2005 T.C. Limited) but the Town Car feels more spacious, the adjustable pedals are a nice Feature of T.C. As you suggested I would go and drive both of them and then decide which you like better. Overall the T.C. fells much larger to me but it's a good idea to check if the comfort is there for you. Best wishes. Please keep us posted as you research and compare, thanks.
    The town car is definately bigger but I wondered if you had any problem with front leg room?
    The only way to tell is to try one out. What is comfortable for one person may or may not be for someone else. I think that where the Town Car is very good is in the rear seat room, which is better than Cadillacs, as it should be, since the Town Car is longer.
    Actually, rear leg room according to the specifications is less than the DTS. The front leg room is, too, but I sat in a used '03 Lincoln the other day and the front leg room for me is fine.
    I sort of remember that one of the magazines (Automobile comes to mind) had a review of a Town Car, but I think it might have been the long model instead of the short ones.
    Went to Cadillac.com web site and clicked on DTS, within the site is a compare vehicles section, you will find a pull down menu for competitors, pick Lincoln Town Car and than specifications.
    The stats show the two cars to be almost identical in interior room with one or the other leading by an inch or less in almost all categories. I doubt that anyone would choose one or the other based on interior room. Check for you self and share your reactions with us. I was a bit surprised in that the Town Car feels much larger inside than the DTS. The Town Car has a nocicibly larger exterior and the stats bear this out at the Cadillac web site.
    A recent post on the cadillac owners webpage indicated there would be an interior upgrade to the DTS in 2009. Anyone here heard about that? One of my bigger disappointments, after a long test drive in a 2008 DTS, was getting picked up by a friend in her 2007 Impala and noting that the dash design was virtually identical to the 2X priced DTS. Chevy used to be called the poor man's Cadillac but, this is a little too close to being right on.
    Well if they look the same to you then you should buy the Impala. I have taken a look at both interiors on their respective websites and I don't see that they are identical.
    I never remember Chevy as the poor man's Cadillac, I seem to recall that was either Olds 98 or Buick Electra 225/Park Avenue...

But, as I get older, my memory does fail me at times... ;) :P :blush:
    Key word is virtually. Switch gear the same. Probably use the same multi task signal/washer/wiper/high beam stalk. Instrument cluster the same shape, though the DTS has chrome rings around the dials. Steering wheel the same, though instead of the bowtie you get the Cadillac crest in the middle. Take out the wood trim "bump" over the glove box area, making it a constant width, and tie together the horizontal wood trim line and the vertical wood trims around the a/c & radio controls and voila. A much stronger family resemblance than you use to see in the previous generations. Interior shapes and styles are almost more important to me than exterior since it's the part of the car I see the most.....
    Without actually looking at both steering wheels it is difficult to say they are not the same, but the pictures do not look quite the same to me. But both do have 4 spokes at about the same location. I think that the switch gear is used on many GM vehicles, not just DTS and Impala. Perhaps you should consider a Buick Lucerne, which is the same basic car as the DTS, and with the V8, it has the same engine. I think that the Impala does not have real wood trim, but some plastic simulation, while the DTS has real wood.
    Ah, but it's not a Caddy.... Through the years I've worked my way through Pontiacs and Buicks (the old Park Ave. and the Riviera) and now it's time for what has always meant to me to be the top of the line. Although there were visual similarities between the DTS and Impala interior, they clearly were not the same car. The DTS had a far superior ride, smoother performance, and of course the rest of the interior was superior in look and in comfort. My only real problem is deciding between the CTS and the DTS. I only had a short drive with the dealer in the CTS and it felt more confining, like the intermediate size care it is, and though performance wise it might be closer to my 300C than the DTS, I'm not sure I want to accept the snug feeling of the interior. I'm also sure in short order I'd scrape off the lower front air dam on my driveway Am planning on a day rental, as I did with the DTS, to help with the decision. Then will have to see how hungry GM gets in the Spring.
    I think that you will find that the DTS's front end is easy to scrape on steeper driveways too, at least I found that to be the case with the few FWD's that I have owned.
    Yup. All that overhang. Interestingly enough, I found I scrape if I back into the driveway (preferred) but don't if I nose in. The CTS, though, I think would be more problematic. It looks to have half the front end ground clearance of the DTS, so in addition to the driveway concerns, there would be the issue of high speed bumps and all those cement parking lot bumpers....
    GM does not list ground clearance anymore, but my guess is that both are about the same. The difference is that the CTS's front wheels are closer to the frontend than the DTS's. You can check the CTS out on your driveway to see if that makes any difference. I can tell that my SRX, which is a SUV with 8 inches of clearance, does not scrape on any driveway I have tried it out on, and I have tried it out on the worst ones that I know about in this area.
    At the time I bought my 2006 DTS I gave Onstar my home phone number as phone of record. Now I am receiving unwanted marketing calls from them several times a week asking me to buy additional products marketed by Onstar. I have placed a complaint with Cadillac customer service and a complaint with Onstar both documented with file numbers. I was told well over ten days ago that the unwanted marketing calls would stop within ten days but I continue to receive as of this date which is many more than ten days ago. I tried to remove my home phone number at the online customer change phone number site but the computer would not accept my cell phone number in place of my home phone. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a quick and simple way to resolve it? Needless to say it is very unlikely I will pay to keep Onstar when the one year free subscription expires in a few months. The fact that Cadillac has not been able to help resolve this issue is one more reason that I may not buy another Cadillac. With this kind of activity on the part of Onstar they are helping both Mercedes and Lexus in tha I don't need a system that hard sells its product with unwanted marketing calls. Any information by other owners to resolve this issue will be appreciated.
    I have not gotten any calls from OnStar. Once a month I do get an email with a diagnostic list of service needs (usually none).
    Given that there are tens of thousands of DTS models on the road, a conservative estimate would be around 45,000 for the model years 2006-2008 and only 712 posts here, I have a few thoughts to share.

I suggest the following new guidelines:

1. that on an honor system that only DTS owners or GM personnel or other car mechanics with a knowledge of DTS post here. I have found some of the posts from non DTS owners unhelpful and even after discouraging them from posting replies to me they do so anyway.

2. That Edmunds update its forum to allow unwanted replies to owners to be block able so one needn't even have to see them. I have found much of the information and advice of non owners here (one in particular) to be unhelpful and unsolicited.

3.Given the number of these cars on the road and the fact that so few people post here including a few non owners with unsolicited advice I think it is time for Edmunds to consider new guidelines and rules in connection with these forums. If carefully considered and evaluated I believe the number of owners that used this forum would at least triple.

In any event I hope the hosts and Edmunds will evaluate what can be done to make these forums more relevant to the individual owner.

Respectfully submitted,
    bremertong
    While I am not a host, but interested in a DTS ( and its step-child Lucerne), I believe that an open forum format like this simply means that there will always be folks who post wrong or irrelevant information, and all we can do is deal with it...

FWIW, sometimes non-owners have friends who have had useful experiences with the car or dealer service, and why should they not post what they may know or not know???

Further, even when someone posts something that did not work or was ineffective at solving a problem, that info is just as valuable as telling you what might work, since what might work for one might not work for you, and what did not work for one might be the answer for you...

Besides, unless they email you personally, responding to this topic is NOT responding to you directly, since their responses are available for all to read, which may not help you with a problem but may help someone else...I have been helped by responses I read to other's questions and then other's answers, saving me the time to post myself and hope for a response...

You could start a blog of your own... ;);)
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    I agree with you. You do not have to read or post to this site if you do not like what you read. I find that all messages are helpful to some degree, either positive or negative. And yes, I do own a DTS, a 2006 Performance model.
    Think I know who you're concerned with (I've gotten a few, some would say, stupid comments from the individual) but alas, that's what you have to deal with in a forum. The lunies are everywhere.... Now if you really want an experience, go to the mainstream full size sedan site and dare make a negative comment about the Azera.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing, though, is an identifier for salesmen/dealers.
    Thanks for your post no 716, it made a sensible follow up to my suggestions. I really expected a better format here but since there is no charge for the group and I have met some very nice folks here I guess I will accept it as it is. If you will look at my efforts to assist owners that had problems or questions you will better understand the difference in style and approach to that of the subject poster. I do not believe my approach is better than the others but always try to be respectful and supportive of the owner having the problems or questions as opposed to telling them "the way it is" so to speak.
    I felt your post put good balance to the issues and for that I thank you. I do hope the hosts will try to keep track of these pages and improve them over time.
    Best wishes!
    I own both a 2005 Lincoln Town Car and 2006 DTS. I find the seats in the Town Car to be more comfortable than the DTS but the DTS seats are also comfortable for my slender frame. Suggest you
    check back with your dealer to see if there is an after market seat that would adapt to your DTS. You could probably get just the drivers seat if this is a workable solution and perhaps that would solve. You might also
    have the dealer check to see if there is another GM
    car either Cadillac or other that would have a seat that would adapt to your DTS. Please come back and post the resolution to your question as it is an unusual
    one and other owners might benefit by knowing how you resolved this issue. Best wishes!
  • maseratimanmaseratiman Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 06 DTS used. Got a great value and the car has been solid for most parts, but I have been literally struggling with the on going pain in my lower back with how poorly the seats upper back is designed and just damn uncomfortable after about 15 minutes of driving. I may be spoiled or tainted by the seats of my other cars (Audi A6 and 2 Maserati's - QP and GranTursimo) as I bought this as my everyday car and to cart my dog around in, which he loves as the rear windows go all the way down so that he can windsurf with his nose fully out the back. I LOVE Cadillac's always have and don't want to dump this car but I am fast becoming tortured by the seats. My servicing dealer is the best and we have literally pulled the seat back off and pulled back the lumbar support mechanism that 'rolls' the lumber up & other things to 'soften' it. It helped greatly, but not completely.
    So I ask - "am I the only one with this pain of experience?"
    I own both a 2005 Lincoln Town Car and 2006 DTS. I find the seats in the Town Car to be more comfortable than the DTS but the DTS seats are also comfortable for my slender frame. Suggest you
    check back with your dealer to see if there is an after market seat that would adapt to your DTS. You could probably get just the drivers seat if this is a workable solution and perhaps that would solve. You might also
    have the dealer check to see if there is another GM
    car either Cadillac or other that would have a seat that would adapt to your DTS. Please come back and post the resolution to your question as it is an unusual
    one and other owners might benefit by knowing how you resolved this issue. Best wishes!
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 DTS Performance and the seats are very comfortable. That is one reason I purchased this particular vehicle. I am 6’ 2” and have had back surgery in the past. I have made several trips of 1200 miles or more and have never had a problem. I find the DTS seats very supportive. On occasion I have had to rent (Lincoln) for business trips and in 30 minutes or so I will have to stop and walk around due to the pain caused by the seats. On another note, watch out with your dog hanging his head out the window (ask any vet) it is not good for the dogs eyes.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...but I just purchased a leftover new 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance back on Friday, November 23, 2007. I traded a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. My car is Black Raven with the Ebony leather interior. It has just about every conceivable option on it. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car too much due to the inclement weather. Can't wait for spring so I can take this baby out on the road again! Until then, I'm driving my old 1988 Buick Park Avenue.

Oh, and that whole deal about the DTS being an "old person's car?" I'm a very youthful 42!
    I wouldn't be too sure about 42 being youthful...why, you're almsot ready to file for Social Security...have you started looking into nursing homes yet???

..........:):):):):):):):):).................I just slay me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    I have an 06 DTS Performance model with every option except for adaptive cruise control, and have now put about 11k on it. I wouldn't have bought a DTS except for the Performance package, with the peppy engine and the excellent suspension.

I love the acceleration of this car, at all speeds. The regular DTS, by contrast, seems very sluggish to me, like a grandfatherly car.
    In total agreement with you on the DTS vs DTS Performance. Very much a different automobile. Comparing a DTS Lux III to a STS Performance (V6), I much preferred the STS. But the gents on the Cadillacforums urged me to drive the DTS Performance before buying anything. I did and preferred it over the STS in performance, response, and of course comfort and space. It even felt more responsive than the V8 STS, and that was after a back to back comparison. The result: I ordered a new DTS last week....
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    That's very interesting information.

When I was looking at cars, I did not get really interested until I did a test drive in a Performance Model DTS. On ride and I was ready to sign up.

And I still have fun driving the car. It's like, not more miles per gallon, but more smiles per gallon, to paraphrase a line that I saw in a recent movie.
    The difference is due more to the axle ratio differences: the base engine has a 3.11:1 ratio while the performance model gets a 3.71:1 ratio. The performance engine actually has less torque, particularly at lower engine speeds (below 3000 RPMs). However, with the gearing differences, the torque (and horsepower) at the wheels is somewhat greater with the performance package. The graphs of the torque and horsepower for each engine are:
    performance package
    base engine

The RWD northstar adds variable valve timing and has more torque than either FWD engine:
    RWD northstar

However, this engine is not rated with the current SAE standard.
    a used 2006 DTS to replace my Crown Vic, because of the highway mpg of 25-27, and my local repair shop (Goodyear) informed me that the performance model had special tires that wore out after 25-30K miles, very expensive, and that the 3.71 ratio meant that the performance model only got about 20 on the highway (altho it performed much better)...

If true, I could probably replace the perf tires with luxury size tires for 70K miles, but I could not change the rear ratio...

For those who have the perf model, what kind of highway mpg do you get???