Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Great to hear. Hope others reply too. Karl Spence
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2006 Luxury ll DTS with just shy of 30,000 miles on it. The quality has been excellent- the only time I have had it back to the dealer is for oil changes and tire rotations. The comfort and ride continue to be the best I have experienced of any car I've owned. A friend of mine who rides with me to business meetings said his Lexus does not compare to the comfortable ride of the DTS. He wanted his wife to purchase either a CTS or DTS, but she insisted on a Lexus- and he agreed that the mindset of too many people is that imports, just because of their name, are better than domestics. My first experience with owning a Cadillac will not be my last- I will be a repeat customer..
  • texasjimtexasjim Member Posts: 9
    I am on my second 2006 Performance Sedan. (first one burned in a garage fire)

Total of over 65,000 miles on the two cars.

I have had a few minor issues. (I am very very picky) They have all been fixed correctly and promptly by my dealer while driving a nice loaner.

All in all, I am very happy with my Cadillac. I will be buying another in a couple of years.

Texas Jim
  • wes63wes63 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the information provided by robw64 (this is wes63- go figure why I cannot login as such) about ensuring the dealership handle ALL WORK less your warranty being voided, and while I'm very sympathetic about taxasjim losing his DTS in a fire this may be my best option. The dealer changed my tires to Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires and they have improved the overall level of comfort since the sidewall is not so stiff. However there is still a slight vibration coming from the suspension system. The car is abviously a great looking car and there are plenty of bells and whistles for me but I think Cadillac has done themself a dissevice by designing a suspension system too sensitive. You cannot combine a european sport-autobahn designed system with a comfort system because that ends up being an oxymoron. OR THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM OUT THERE WITH ALMOST ALL DTS' This car will never drive like a Continental, a Park Avenue or any other large soft riding luxury car. If you want a sprot suspension may I suggest a BMW 525 * * * Series. If you have problems do not let anyone touch the car except a GM dealership and follow the guidelines in the owners manual until you get an acceptable resolution. Me, I'm still on the hunt for a resolution and I'm not stopping until I get this issue resolved. Good Luck
  • swhite407swhite407 Member Posts: 6
    After 6 months of trying to get my 2006 DTS lemon-lawed, Cadillac (GM) is still playing games with me. I will not stop until they repurchase this car because of all the suspension problems I have had with it. It has sat in my garage for the last 6 months because I refuse to drive it.GM stated there was nothing wrong with the car. After the BBB turned me down because GM reps LIED, I took it back to another dealership and they found bad tie rod ends. This was AFTER they replaced lower control arms, front end axle and front srut assembly twice! I continue to have a bad vibration (my tires have been changed by the dealership already BTW) in the front end. My meeting with the Atty. Generals office was set for May 6th. GM notified my attorney that they were going to repurchase the car and make me a written offer by May 6th. Today is May 24th and we have heard nothing! Because GM told the attorney of the written offer, my meeting with the Atty. Generals office got post-poned for 90 days. SO...to make a long story short, if you plan to take on the Cadillac division of GM, be prepared for their games and lies. After 4 Cadillacs, I am perfectly happy with my trouble-free Hyundai!
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    There have been Park Avenue owners who have had problems with vibrations too, so do not think that it is only the DTS or DeVilles that have this problem. If replacement or balancing the tires does not resolve the problem, then something is out of balance, like the brake rotors. Since the brake rotors don't come off with the wheels, they will stay out of balance. I think unresolved vibrations are a problem for a very few owners.

The basic problem with trying to make a FWD sedan into a sport sedan is that the weight on the front wheels makes handling less than perfect (whatever that may mean). The RWD Cadillac sedans (STS and CTS) are sport sedans and are a better choice than the DTS for a sport sedan.
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Hey All....Long time no post!

Anyhoo...........I finally took the plunge and traded my 03 Deville base that
    had 53k miles and was for the most part troublefree with only 1 visit
    to the service dept. for a water pump seal and a emission programming
    recall. Aside from several $19.95 oil changes no other services were
    required in the almost 5 years I had the car....................

While wintering in Daytona the local Caddy dealer had several used
    o7 DTS models for a reasonable $27k so I figured I would take a look!
    Found a nice loaded out Lux 3 pkg in Diamond white that was a GM PEP
    unit and not a rental with 2,700 miles.

I wanted a new 08 but even with my GM employee deal the MSRP of
    almost $50k on a lux3 and my final price of around $38k the 07 was
    quite the deal !!!!!!!!!!!
    I only got $15k trade allowance on my 53k mile 03 but it did need
    brakes and tires as the original Michelins were pretty thin............

I hope this new one will serve me as well as my past Caddies and
    I do run them hard and put them away wet at times ! :shades:
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Speed dependent vibration in a car is usually caused an imbalance of a rotating mass, most likely the wheels and tires. In a fwd car there is no long driveshaft connecting the rear axle to the transmission, so let's assume it's the wheel/tire combination. When the tires are mounted they need to be matched to the wheels; the high spot (mass) on the tire is matched to the low spot on the tire. This is usually indicated by painted dots. Then, the balancing should be done with an on-car spin balancer. This will compensate for any remaining imbalances and most accurately simulate real world driving. If your dealer doesn't have an on-car spin balancer, go to an independent who does. FYI: I've got Michelin Pilots on my 07 DTS and everything is very smooth. Now if we could eliminate the vibration from the Northstar V-8 and the road noise, I'd be happy with it.
    It is important to have both a static as well as dynamic balance. I think that the on car balance method only gets you a static balance, but if the wheels/tires are balanced first to get the dynamic balance, then the on car balance can correct of any problems that may exist with the rotating mass composed of the brake rotors and axles.
  • woofbitewoofbite Member Posts: 3
    Are you thinking of an MKS? I've been looking at the brochure and plan to drive one when local dealers have them. I really wanted a new STS or DTS but the 2008 DTS is apparently identical to my 2006 and 2009's will be too. STS's always feel so cramped because of their two-foot wide consoles which I hate.
    Seems like, no matter how big or small the exterior of a car, the driver gets a 20 by 40 inch box in which to live.
    Bring back the Hummer 1. (well maybe not, but they were roomy).
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I own a 2006 DTS that now has a little over 8000 miles on it. It is my third Deville and gets the worst fuel economy of the three. The window sticker said 15 city and 23 highway at time of purchase. I am actually getting around 19 city and 26.5 highway. Problem is that my 2004 Deville got around 29 highway and 20.5 city. With gas prices headed much higher than they are now I think Cadillac Division needs to do more to address this problem of fuel economy in its cars. YES I can afford it but also feel that Cadillac should have been working on this fuel economy issue for the last several years. As you probably know the cost of fuel has been rising for several years and Cadillac has done nothing to address the issue. With shares of General Motors now trading at less than ten dollars a share and the same old tired chairmen spews out the same irrelevant statements time after time while the foreign competition developes and markets hybrids here and now. In the past Cadillac has been an innovator and it's time for the division to step up and innovate in the matter of fuel efficiency. I also own a 2005 Lincoln Town Car that gets better fuel efficiency both highway and city than my 2006 DTS, the T.C. also weighs 400 pounds more than the DTS.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I also own a 2005 Lincoln Town Car that gets better fuel efficiency both highway and city than my 2006 DTS, the T.C. also weighs 400 pounds more than the DTS.

And the Town Car isn't as quick or powerful...part of the price you pay for better economy on these dated engine designs.
  • caddyfreakcaddyfreak Member Posts: 4
    Only right side will heat up.
    anyone taken the wheel apart to repair an element problem?
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Realizing a lot of this is personal taste: I drove a TownCar for a week last year and found it overly soft and sloppy handling--the brakes were a disaster, too soft and not very supportive seats, and a very winded engine once you left the city streets for the highway. I've owned a '08 DTS performance for 3 months now and it still impresses me with its controlled ride (it has the magnetic struts), interior comfort, and great zip of the Northstar (and coming from a Hemi powered 300C, that's saying something). Totally different feeling cars, and that's reflected in their names: Town Car vs Deville Touring Sedan. I would feel much more secure on a twisty mountain road in the DTS. Alas, I do have to pay the gas bills and the performance gearing means higher revs on the highway and longer times in lower gears when accelerating. My commuting average is only 19 mpg (the Hemi would average 21). But it's worth it for the ride....
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience with T.C. and DTS. I have owned my T.C. for two years and my DTS for about fourteen months. It would be hard to part with either car in that each has features I like. As mentioned in previous posts the DTS is more of a performance sedan and the TC feels more like a luxury car. I alternate the cars driving DTS one day and TC the next. I really like them both and look forward to getting the individual experience of the other. With fuel prices where they are I am becoming increasingly concerned about the energy crises. I was brought up on two important principles. The Titanic was unsinkable but as we all know did sink. And the idea (similar) that a small hole can sink a big ship. At the moment I have fairly deep pockets but also realize that if the price of fuel rises substantially I may have to revisit the issue of fuel costs and these two nice cars. I am disappointed that Cadillac has not even mentioned the idea of a Hybrid
    and as you may know the T.C. is being discontinued after the 2008 model year. I still have close to three years of warranty on my DTS but am unsure that my replacement car will be another GM product. I have never owned an import before but my next cars may be a Lexus and a Mercedes. Hopefully the American auto industry will address the issues that concern us all and address them in future models.
  • wes63wes63 Member Posts: 3
    Well you can forget about GM helping you solve any problems you may have with your Cadillac DTS or any other vehicle. I followed the procedure in the owners manual when I could not rectify my problem through the dealership. I sent a registered letter/receipt requested and seven attempts were made to pasify (sp) me. They stated that DTS vibrations WERE NORMAL and I needed to put more miles on the car in order for the vibrations to go away. I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH. They said they would make arrangements with the dealership to complete another test drive, BUT THE DEALER DID NOT HAVE TO AGREE TO PERFORMING MORE WORK IF THEY FELT IT WAS NOT NEEDED. The dealership REFUSED to test drive the car. GM said they were through with me!
    I have purchased over 20 GM vehicles in my life and I AM DONE WITH GM. One thing is for sure, many people will by GM and when there are problems they can expect to receive no assistance. The lemon law in this state covers me for two years/24K miles, and there may be relief one day. Until then I will tell everyone about GM's customer assistance program, oh sorry I mean LACK OF A CUSTOMER SERVICE PROGRAM. Good luck to all DTS/GM vehicle owners - no wonder GM is experiencing financial difficulties. I'm ALL AMERICAN and my next vehicle will be FOREIGN - with no GM affiliation.
    GM finally agreed to repurchase my 06' DTS. They paid off my balance of almost $41,000 + gave me $8600 out of which I had to pay my attorney $2700. It took me 7 months, but I was not going to be stuck with that lemon. I couldn't even trade it in because I owed too much...it had 31,000 miles on it and the warranty would be up soon. So good riddens...I bought a HYUNDAI with a 100,000 mile warranty and I am very happy after owning 4 Cadillacs.
    I am glad that you got the matter resolved. My local Cadillac dealership has opened a Hyundai dealership right next to the GM part. I am very impressed with the Hyundai Genesis, the Luxury model of Hyundai. I have been barely satisfied with my 2006 DTS and suspect that this may be my last Cadillac. As you may know, GM just posted a 15 billion dollar loss in its most recent reporting period. The part of all this that surprises me most is that the same tired top management is left in place to take the company from one problem to the next. At least Ford had the good sense to change top management a little over a year ago and while they are not out of the woods they seem to be doing a bit better than they were. I wish you success with your new Hyundai and will look for your postings at the Hyundai owners site. Best wishes.
  • etowahetowah Member Posts: 1
    8/17/08 - Reading about your 2006 DTS and I saw a huge "light" go off!!!! I am experiencing the following with my DTS - yes, I hear about 5 "knocks" coming from the rear every day - only happens on the first "start up" of the day - usually about 5-6 blocks from home - rapid fire, 5 knocks. I also heard it in my previous 2003 DeVille - never questioned it, however. I attributed it to just my luck with cars. And you are absolutely right about the clunking noise coming from the right front area; it has been at the dealer's twice for this - once because they could not duplicate, then I drove while the service person rode with me and he heard it; they fixed it - said it was struts. But now, several months later, it's back - same old clunking. Also had it in the shop for rear speaker problem- still doesn't sound right and my back "dash" is noticeably higher up than it should be. Today, for the second time in about 8 months, went out to go to church and turned the key and had absolutely nothing. Had to have it jumped off, again. This is my third Cadillac, and each one has had a "mystery" problem relating to not starting. It is so very inconvenient to go through this. Next time (in 1 year when I turn it in), I'm looking for something else - Cadillac will not be at the top of my list. Let me say this, however, I do have great relationship with dealer and am treated courteously and always given a Cadillac to drive while mine is being "fixed". Hope they are as kind tomorrow a.m. when I tell them of today's problem with not starting.
    I had a great relationship with my service dept. also and they were always courteous and I always had a Cadillac to drive while mine was in service. It was just such a HUGE inconvenience to be there sooo much. They never fixed the "monkey in my trunk" as they called it...I think they thought I was crazy. For the 1st year I thought it was construction going on outside on the road and then realized I was the same distance each morning from my house each time I heard it, from start up also. They never fixed my audio problem either. I hated to part with my Cadillac and especially the royal service, but for $45-50k I expect less problems. I did find it interesting, to say the least, that they "swapped" parts off of brand new cars on the lot, to try to fix my problems. Now that I know that, I would think twice about buying a new one. I would not want to be the person that got the car that had all the parts pulled off of it and replaced. You think that you are buying a "new" untouched car when the odometer reads 5 miles on it. Good luck with everything!
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Hi, we have a 2007 DTS with just over 19,000 miles on it. Just wondered what everyone else was getting mileage wise on the highway and around town with theirs? Seems like ours shounld be doing better than it does, but our others always picked up around 35,000 mile. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and relating to the vibrations, if it is braking vibrations after a tire replacement or rotation, a lot of service places don't seem to grasp the proper way to retighten the lugs when reinstalling the wheels after service. This can warp the front rotors and cause pulsating, we had it on two of our older Caddies, happened both times after tire rotations, once at a tire place and once at the dealership.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    When you refer to the proper way to tighten the lugs, are you referring to anything special, or simply the alternating lug method for a 5 lug wheel???
    You don't say what model DTS.... My '08 Performance, which has different shift algorithyms and different rear end ratio (meaning worse mileage), has been averaging around 19 mpg mixed driving. Haven't taken any really long trips but looks like highway, 70 mph, will give around 23 mpg. The LUX models should do better.

Service depts seem to have a lot of problems taking tires/wheels seriously. I've heard of the rotor warping issues. Have gotten my car back after tire rotation and found tire pressures totally askew with one or more grossly over inflated, and have always found the lug nuts over torqued.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I'm extremely happy with my Cadillac DTS Performance. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I get a lot of compliments on this classy ride. I had a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS which I thought was really well-made and I believe my new DTS is an even more solid automobile.
    It is your purchase of the DTS that will keep the UAW topic alive, along with rocky...for that, I thank you...:):):):):) ;):D
    What I do when I rotate the tires myself is to tighten gradually one nut, then a nut on the opposite side (or nearly opposite side), followed by one on the opposite side again (next to the first one). I don't tighten them tight the first time, but go around the wheel slowly tightening to the 100 lb-ft level. My dealer did it once and I did not notice any problems with what they did.
    Back Again friends. I still have the '03 DeVille base model. 65,000 miles and runs perfectly and even still smells like leather. No problems whatsoever. The warranty runs out this month but I only drive it on trips now - probably 5,000 miles a year so I think I'll keep it another year. I'll look for an '08 or '09 DTS in the spring of 2010. I just took advantage of GM's Employee Discount sale and bought a Victory Red '09 Cobalt 1LT Coupe for driving around town. We rented an identical one in Hawaii in January and it averaged about 28 mpg around Kauai and was comfortable and roomy for a compact. Anyone who wants a commuting car ought to check it out. I had an '06 Impala and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the ride. The first tank in all town driving got 23.8 which is great. The Cadillac gets 15 or 16. I hope that all the problems inherent in the '06 DTSs have been fixed in the later models. I'd like to hear from owners of trouble free '08s. Karl
  • sharon26sharon26 Member Posts: 5
    A similar thing happened to my Mother when driving her 2007 DTS! It has stopped dead (& with NO onstar activation either!) at least 5 times. The dealer has kept the car for 10+ days and GM even sent someone to "investigate," but the problem has not been fixed. Very scary. And, the dealer and GM seem to have washed their hands of the problem - every time she calls, the "will get back to her." Pretty shabby to treat a 17-time cadillac owner! Soon as the lease is up, it is a reliable foreign car for her!
  • conkedconked Member Posts: 14
    We had a similar problem with a 2006 DTS (Performance Model). The car would be dead for no apparent reason. Jump start the car and it would be fine for weeks. After several disappointing trips to the dealer with "no trouble found" diagnoses, I finally traced the problem myself to a bad ground connection at the floor under the back seat. This is the connection from the battery negative terminal to the floor. The terminal is attached to the floor with a screw that goes into threads under the floor. In the case of our 2006 the floor is painted and so are the threads. I sanded the paint off the floor and put a star washer under the terminal and the problem went away.
    We now have a 2008 DTS and that's the first thing I checked. There was still no star washer under the terminal, but the threads in the floor were clean and there was a bare spot (no paint) under the terminal.
    This may not be related to your problem but it's worth checking it out. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.
    I've had nothing but good luck with the few warranty repairs on my '03 DeVille by the local Cadillac dealer but my Buick LeSabre was another matter. It needed a strut bushing (car creaked after going around a curve and tilting back up). Everybody heard it on test drives but the dealer refused to fix it and the Zone Office wouldn't do anything either. I sold it soon thereafter and won't buy another Buick. I think a lot depends on the dealer. I took my car into a Cadillac dealer in north Louisiana for a noise in the front end after hearing it off and on from NM to LA and he said that nothing was wrong. My dealer later found the problem immediately and fixed it. My wife had hit a suspension part on a high curb and bent it slightly. I find that Cadillac dealers are more receptive to warranty repairs than dealers of other GM brands.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You won't buy a Buick but will buy a Cadillac? Hate to tell you, but the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS are much the same car.
    I had an oil change (at the dealer) a couple of weeks ago , drove around town, took a 400 mile trip, and now discover that I'm down a quart of oil. I rarely check the oil -just get an oil change every 3,000 miles. The car has 69,000 miles on it ('03 base Deville). I heard that the Northstar engines tend to use oil. Is this true?
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    I am a cadillac owner i had 03 dhs and now 08 dts , my 03 had consumption issue it seem like but i would check stick next morning after change it be down 1/8- 1/4 of inch from full line talk about a Bull crap answer i got , from wrong dip stick to it a high performance engine , I unloaded my 03 in 06 and came back in 08 , almost 20,000 and no issues just go in for oil change every 6500 miles and tire rotation
    oh i did go to different dealer , but next oil change check that stick next morning
    figure if they short enough customers on oil the profit line will raise , shame is it not GM fault it quality of dealer , it a shame
    My 2002 Seville LS would use a quart of synthetic oil every 2000 miles or so. I think that the FWD northstar engines are supposed to get 7.5 quarts with an oil/filter change. So, they should charge you for the amount of oil actually put in.

My RWD northstar V8 has used less than a quart in the last 10000 miles since the first oil change. I am now down to 27% on the oil monitor and will have it changed after 24000 miles. It requires synthetic oil meeting GM's 4718 standard (mobil 1 or equivalant).
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    New 08 DTS lux II white diamond paint---List for 50K sell for $40K. Anyone care to guess how long it will sit on the lot and/ or what it will sell for? Will the folks who want it be able to finance it? I would need another 8K off to get me interested but these guys act like the economy's great even with an empty showroom day after day after day. They have used 08's with 20-40K and are asking $29-35. Maybe they'll keep busy polishing the bumpers in March.
    Took a test drive --- very nice ride.
    Very true but the divisions are different - one is Cadillac and the other is Buick. I had good warranty service from Cadillac and poor service from Buick. These problems on 06's-08s are troublesome. I may look into a 350 Lexus instead next time. I like Cadillacs though and have had good luck with my 03. Frankly I like the way they ride and if I can get a model year old base model for $27k or so it is cheaper than a new Avalon. I'll look around though in the spring of 2010 when I'll sell the 03.
    The local Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer is having tough times. The "Employees Discount" sale in Sept. didn't bring in as many customers as the one last year and the profit for the dealer on each unit was way down on this one. Normally out here in the high plains there are a lot of trucks sold -to people who need a truck - not people who drive it to the country club -and truck sales are down too. The Toyota dealer says things are great but I notice that he has a few NEW 2007's sitting around on his lot. Lots of bargains for new 2007s. A friend just got a new 2007 Tundra ($39,000 sticker ) for $25k and his old 2000 F-150 with a hundred k miles on it.
    I hear that with GM's problems they will be postponing any effort to combine the STS and DTS into a smaller car to replace the present DTS.. This would have put it into a position to compete with new Lincoln midsize that is larger than the Fusion.
    I'm not happy about downsizing the DTS but the basic design dates from 2000 and I'd like to see something new that looks more like the Sixteen. As things stand now I'll trade my 2003 Deville for a certified 09 DTS in the spring of 2010.
    My 07 DTS has been flawless and has about 25k miles on it so far.
    Not much different from my 03 Deville but the restyle of the nose
    and tail along with the new dash look pretty good.
    Didn't worry about taking a big hit on the lousy resale value on this
    one because I didn't buy it new. As a GM employee/retiree/family
    member I picked this one up as a GM PEP unit with 2,900 miles
    for $29k and its a lux 3 pkg so its got all the goodies.

Heck...the local late model used car superstore in Syracuse NY has
    ex-rental 08 lux-1 pkg CTS for $21k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A friend with an 03 Performance Deville (DTS) has had the car cut out several times. He wrestles it to the shoulder and it starts just fine and might run a week until it happens again. The dealer has replaced his fuel pump twice and it still happens. I would think that the computer would tell the dealer what has happened but all the dealer does is replace the fuel pump. Has this happened to anyone on this list? It seems to me that I read about it in the past.
    My bet?........................

A CPS aka crank position sensor.
    Another 3rd world produced part with a high failure rate!
  • texasjimtexasjim Member Posts: 9
    As otto8 said...
    Crankshaft Position Sensors.
    Not that you need affirmation....but I had the exact same problem in a company lease Dodge Intrepid several years ago. It was the crankshaft position sensor. Told the computer the engine wasn't turning and so the computer shut off the fuel.
    Thanks for the heads up. It WAS the crank position sensor -actually two of them. Both were replaced in my friend's car under warranty.
  • bob247bob247 Member Posts: 8
    2007 DTS with package II, sun roof and onboard navigation. I bought the 07 DTS a few months back and had nothing but problems. It was a program car, The main issue is a vibration. So far the dealer has switched all the tires and rims, force load balanced all tires, checked all the running gear, calipers, rims, etc for anything bent or not true but found nothing. I have noticed that the vibration is worse at different speeds and at certain speeds when accelerating The speeds that seem worse are around 30, just under 40, around 60, and 70 but still feel it at any speed. If you put it in neutral and coat the vibration is still there. I have found that just under 40 mps if you let off the gas the vibration is gone and returns as soon as you are back on the gas. This is a very annoying problem and seems to be getting worse.

On warmer days I have notice a quick jerk almost like an engine stumble (but not the engine) after I have driven the car awhile.

Here are some of the other problems that are either waiting to be fixed or have been fixed.
    1- when I first start moving I hear a banging some where in the front end. After a lot of testing the dealer found the rack and pinion assembly is bad and is being replaced next week
    2- have to be about 2 feet from the car for either remote to work. Tried replacing the battery but still have the problem. Scheduled to be worked on next week.
    3- drives seat heater quit working - scheduled for next week
    4- top 5 wires on rear window didn't work - replace rear window
    5- foam padding in passenger door panel defective - replaced panel
    6- drivers seat plastic is broken on the outside edge and a piece that goes over the seat belt is missing - scheduled for next week
    7- clear coat defective on front around and between the head lights and part of right fender - repainted
    8- rain sensor wipers didn't work - part is missing and were replaced
    9- low coolant warning light and little or no heat- cross over pipe was leaking, replaced gaskets
    10- tire monitor warning on dash, front left tire does not read at times- scheduled next week
    11- service bulletin on steering part about grease being packed on one end causing rattle - part was replaced but didn't fix banging noise
    12- sun roof rattled - readjusted rails

The GPS system is not that good. My $150 Tom Tom is far better that the GM unit. The GM GPS system is not very accurate and wants to keep routing me to major highways when there a good alternate routes. One time when I was testing it I have no idea where I would have ended up. I knew where I was going and it wanted me to turn places that would have take me to who knows where. I probably will follow the directions some day just to see. The voice commands for the radio are very limited.

I keep wondering what will happen next. I don't believe this is a dependable car. Really considering getting rid of it.

My old car was a 97 Deville that started leaking oil at the half seal. Other than that it had a few minor problems but overall was a good vehicle.
    Well at 2 years old and 31k miles my 07 has had a problem!

While down at my Daytona house for a few weeks I had a dead battery
    one morning. A call to the GM 800 number had a tech from a local
    Caddy dealer phone me with a few questions and arrive shortly afterwards
    with a new battery and had it installed in minutes !
    My elderly neighbors were amazed that the battery was under the back seat....................
    Saturday, in the editorial pages of the Atlanta Journal, was an article about someone who bought a DTS (2008?) that was plagued with vibration issues, and all Caddy could do was tell him that they is nothing to be done about it...he rented another DTS in a city he flew to, and he was grateful that the rental DTS vibrated worse than his... :sick: :lemon: ...

He stated he would never buy another GM car again...

I know lemko has a cream puff, but if you want to know why the Big 3 are going down, multiple this guy in the article by hundreds of thousands, and you might see why Lexus may become the luxury car of choice...

We just don't seem to cut it anymore...and, for all the satisfied lemkos out there, there are not enough to compensate for the disgruntled buyers who are abandoning Cadillac FOREVER...

Why can't they see that???
    I agree. I have an 03 base Deville that was a Program Car (Alamo Rental). I bought it when it had 30,000 miles in January of 04 and it has been trouble free. It now has 70,000 miles. I planned to turn it in next Spring and get an 08 or 09 Program DTS. I'll probably look for a base model again but may just give up on GM and get a new Avalon. or a used Lexus. I never liked the ride of a Toyota but the Avalon is pretty smooth. Road noise and wind noise is loud though -much worse then Cadillac. The big seller at Cadillac is the CTS and nobody at GM seems to promote the DTS. If I want a mid size car I'll buy a Malibu. I can't figure out why GM has let Cadillac slip so badly judging from the comments on this list.
  • wpsrwpsr Member Posts: 21
    Updated 4/2009

Our car is a 2006 Cadillac DTS Lux III purchased new, now 3 yrs old. We took the car in April 2009 for a windshield washer recall. We have always had the car serviced at the dealer (we no longer have a dealer in Grass Valley, CA). When the car was ready after the windshield recall fix, they told us they did and update on the Engine Control Module (recall 07132 off the repair order). It may be a Service Bulletin rather than a recall. I found document ID # 1993220 (# 07132), it also covers some 2006 Buick Lucerne, Chev Cobalt, Saturn ION, Buick Rainier, Chev TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy. We did not receive any notification about the ECM update, but are sure glad to have it fixed.

The acceleration problem is gone, thank god. It was very frustrating and took a lot of extra braking (also dangerous). This acceleration always happened with foot on the brake just as we turn into our driveway. A couple of years ago, I went to the dealer and drove another new 2006 and 2007, they both had the acceleration problem. We also have the GPS updated DVD and have a clock we can read on the GPS display. We haven't been on a trip to see how the maps are working.

WPSR
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    Congratulations on correcting your acceleration problem.

You mentioned that you have a clock on your GPS system. My car is a 2006 (DTS) and I also have the latest DVD (I think) and I still do not have a clock on the display.

How did you get the clock to appear? What version of the DVD do you have? Did the dealer have to do anything to get the clock to display?

Thank you in advance. You answers will be most appreciated.