Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• wpsrwpsr Member Posts: 21
    You are welcome, yes the acceleration problem was dangerous. It is really nice to have an open communication for everyone here.

Previous Disc: North America Disc: United States & Canada
    Part No. 15804409
    2006 DTS
    Ver: 1.10

My new disc: North America Disc replacement.
    United States, Canada, Alaska & Hawaii
    Part No. 20857425U
    2009 NA CH/GMC900/SRX/DTS
    Ver: 4.1c

The clock should be in the top right corner of the display while the radio or GPS is on. When it is off with the ignition key on or in accessory position, the clock should be near the middle of the display. To make changes to the clock press the menu key until the clock on the top right of the screen is selected. I ordered the replacement disc Dec. 2008 and finally got it April 2009. I think the replacements are still on back order.
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the response. I contacted GM (NAV disc center). My disc update was ordered in Oct 2008 and that version does not include the clock. They told me that the current release (the one you have) does have the clock and I would have to purchase it because I already have all the updates that I am entitled to. I should have waited and ordered in Dec 2008 as you did. I will stop by the dealer and see if they can do anything. The disc is not worth the $100 plus just to get a clock.

Thanks again.
  • bob247bob247 Member Posts: 8
    While at the dealers one of the drivers seat motors quit working so the replaced the entire seat frame.
    They replace the drives side seat heaters but turns out the bottom does not heat.
    Dealer also replaced the sun roof to eliminate rattle. This also got rid of some wind noise.
    I got the car back on a Friday and left on vacation Sunday. On Monday I decided to wash the car and water poured in from the center console and the head liner on the drives side. I had to drive a hour and half one way to have a dealer fix it. Turns out whoever replaced the sun roof at the dealership in my town didn't attach the drain hose. Wasted a lot of vacation time just getting it fixed.
    I asked the dealer that fixed the sun roof if they had any problems with a vibration and found out they had. They told me it was most likely a bent axle and to have both replaced.
    My windshield was replaced a few months back. My sister noticed the view in the bottom 1/4 of the window is distorted.
    While on vacation here are the other things that broke
    - automatic head light dimming quit working
    -compass quit working
    -drives side bottom seat heater doesn't work

The dealer in North Carolina had to turn all my brake rotors because the brakes were making a loud noise and caused a lot of vibration.
    Have I mentioned this car has 40,000 miles on it.
    When I bought my 07 DTS the GPS Dvd was missing so the dealer ordered a new one. I have the clock in the upper right corner which is nice.
    I am not overly impressed with the Cadillac GPS system. When I added my home address while parked in my driveway it shows my house 3 or 4 blocks farther down the road.
    Before going on vacation I programed my sisters address into the system. The system said I reached my destination but her house was about a 1/4 farther. I ended up calling her to find out exactly where she lived.
    During the trip out I found on a couple of occasions it told me to late which way to go.
    I have found other GPS system's (Tom Tom and Gamin) were much more accurate and a lot cheaper. GM needs to work on the program to make it more accurate. My dealer checked the system and said there was nothing they could do to increase the accuracy.
    I like the touch radio but would not spend the money again unless the GM system improves.
    I also found it likes major highways and will keep trying to route you back to them even if it is more miles. I need to test the detour function more to see where it wants to route me.
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    Regarding your NAV system, I have a 2006 DTS and find it very accurate, much better than On-Star. Of course, it depends on the disc version. Unfortunately mine does not have the clock, but I only need that on trips and at night. For my other car I have a portable Garmin ($150) which works just as good.

Did you calibrate your compass? See the owner’s manual on how to do this. This could affect the accuracy of the NAV system.

To set the NAV system with your home address, the most accurate way is to park in your driveway and press the Home button rather than enter it manually. This way it will direct you right into your driveway. There is option where you can add a destination by selecting your current location (coordinates) and saving it to the address book. This is how I entered my son’s address when his house was under construction and still not on any maps.

There are options (see user guide) that you can select to avoid Interstates, tolls, ferries, etc. That may be why it directs you to major highways as this would be faster than rural roads.

LOL and sorry about all your other problems.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I own a 2006 DTS which was purchased new in 2007 and still has Two years and 38,000 miles left on the new car warranty. If Gm goes chapter 11 will the Company be honoring its warranties on cars bought before the bankruptcy? I read an article tonight saying that bankruptcy was almost certain and that the the government would probably honor warranties on new car purchases but didn't mention cars purchased new before potential bankruptcy? Any feedback on this important aspect of ownership will be greatly appreciated.
  • texasjimtexasjim Member Posts: 9
    If you know anyone that has the new disk...you can put it in your car and it will update your firmware so that you will have the clock. The firmware also updates a few other things.

When you insert the disk..it will say...UPDATING FIRMWARE..it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to do this.

DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION while it is updating.

Texas Jim
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Letters have gone out (mine came a couple of days ago) from the president of GM North America stating "Rest assured, we will honor the warranty commitment given to you and the time of your purchase". (mine is an '08 bought new in April '08). And if this guy backs down, well, you have the guarantee of the US Guvnment and if you can't trust Obama, then......
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    I'd say that the government backing removes any question about the warranties being good, so that's a plus.

I just purchased my '06 DTS Performance model after three years of leasing it. We now have 25k miles on the car. I had a wheel hub replaced under warranty, otherwise this has been a problem free car with an excellent ride.

I just updated the Navigation DVD, and now have the digital clock.
    Thank you for your reply, I received the same or a similar letter which of course was nice to know with about two years to go on the warranty. If the government can bring GM out of chapter 11 as quickly as it did Chrysler that would be a good thing for the future of both General Motors and Cadillac.
  • peteyshufflespeteyshuffles Member Posts: 3
    i am having a problem with noise coming from my navigation system. have brought it to dealer and was told they have had several complaints. If the disc is in the navigation system there is all kinds of squeaks and clicks eminating from system. if the disc is not in system there is no problem. am very frustrated please help
  • barryob5barryob5 Member Posts: 6
    This sounds like the old joke where the guy goes into the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this". And the doctor says "Don't do that".

Take out the disk. Of course, you won't have NAV, but you won't have any noise!
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    No car magazine has said anything about the future of the DTS. I assume that in a couple of years GM will downsize the DTS and drop the STS. Something will probably emerge that is bigger than the STS and smaller than the present DTS. Does anyone know anything about this? I guess there will be a 2010 DTS identical to the 09. I'll be in the market for a used 09 next year. I like my 03 and don't want anything smaller so I guess I'll get the 09 and keep it for 10 years or so. The town car will be dropped next year. Doesn't anyone want a car that will hold 6 people, gets 30 on the roads and has great passing power? I've driven the CTS - rides stiffly and is cramped inside.. If I want a mid size I'll buy a new Malibu! It rides lots better than the CTS.. Actually my 09 Cobalt rides better than the CTS.
    anybody having a problem with the noise emitting from the navigation system from the 09 DTS. Car rides great. Very smooth and quiet except for the problem from navigation system.
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    i have a 08 dts and at times it like hard drive clicking , the gps in my 03 model was much better , this one don't dim when at dusk so your force to turn dash lights down to lowest point so it not so bright , i also ask service dept about that sound i did not have it in 03 , think they used the word it was a up grade in system
    but ride is great
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    I agree with you on the CTS. 2010 DTS: two color changes,

http://media.gm.com/us/cadillac/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_DTS/10index.html

Heard that the next DTS is being modified so it can handle batteries (hybrid model). On the Lincoln side, the MKS is no replacement for the Town Car. It rides like the CTS, has low levels of refinement, but does have more room inside.
    I have an 07 and never heard any noise from the navigation system. My 07 has a lot of other problems. I have been waiting for Cadallic customer service to tell me what they are going to do but so far nothing. Hope you never have to deal with them. They tell me they will call back on a certain day and don't. When I finally talk to them again I get the same story over and over. Really seems like they are just stalling with hopes I will go away.
    When I had to take my car in for service while vacationing in North Carolina the rep in the service department told me that when he printed out what has been done to my care so far there were two pages. By now there should be at least 3 pages. Things keep breaking.
    thanks for your reply. am getting the same run around. glad to see i am not alone (lol)
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Marsha7, sounds like you are doing it right. A lot of times when the people rotating the tires or putting new ones on, drive the lug nuts up tight with the impact and then work either the pattern or around the wheel. By doing this it can warp the rotors or misalign the wheels to the hubs. They should back the impact pressure off until all the lugs on that wheel are snug and then tighten them to torque.

Our 07 DTS is now getting an average of 28 mpg highway and has done as well as 30 mpg between fill ups on a long trip.

Someone mentioned the GM GPS has their house a few blocks from where it obviously is. Our aftermarket GPS does the same thing. I think GPS is only as good as the people who initally entered the actual locations. GPS I believe reads your location through whatever system you have, but initially, that location had to be linked to the system/satellite manually. Our Garmin always tells us we are home when we are really a block and a half away. We have found other discrepancies in the GPS directions, near Orlando, it will tell us to get off the toll road on an exit ramp that is Sunpass only, no way to pay cash, which if we didn't know better from family, could have caused a ticket worth more than the GPS system, since we don't have a Sunpass.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    After reading about dead battery, electrical issues, and other such problems with the DTS, I feel fortunate that my 2006 Luxury ll, purchased new, and now with 55,000 miles, has only been to the service dealer for routine maintenance. I would buy another DTS in a heartbeat.
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    My 07 DTS with almost 40k miles except for a battery replacement has been troublefree! Also my Nav. system has never made any noises either.
  • toolsman98toolsman98 Member Posts: 1
    why is my belt on my water pump keep melting
  • caddyman12caddyman12 Member Posts: 1
    Was going to go somewhere and when I opened the door to get in , I didn't notice that the interior lights didn't come, I stuck the Valet key in the ignition(I know, wrong key) . I realized what I had done. Now it will not come out.

what is going on? how do you get the key out. Could it be because the battery is dead?
    anybody have this problem?
    thanks
    I'll hold onto my '03 Deville until the XTS comes out in 2012. It looks like a really modern car and hopefully will ride better than the CTS.
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know whether there will be a DTS for 2011? Obviously if they aren't in production now there won't be.
    yes i have seen 5 2011 dts on dealer back lot ,
    i wonder if this will be a off year for dts with body change due next year , might bring on more leases then buying
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Dispencer2,
    The 2011 DTS started production in mid June. It usually takes 6-8 weeks from this date to start to see them at the dealerships. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Thanks very much. So the DTS will stay in production until the XLS comes out. This is great because I'll have the option of a recent program DTS if I don't like the new model.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    You're welcome! :) If you ever have any questions just let me know.
    - Mariah GM Customer Service
  • sjr81sjr81 Member Posts: 2
  • sjr81sjr81 Member Posts: 2
    Does any know how to change the light bulb in the ash tray of 06 DTS
    There is a whole lot of totally outdated material on the Web concerning the XLS Cadillac. The DTS will still be built for 2011. Does anybody have the facts on the XLS? Will it be built in 2011 as a 2012? Will it be offered sometime in 2011? What is the status of this car????
    edited August 2010
    Cadillac Owner's Club reports that there are no plans to discontinue the DTS and that Cadillac has not yet decided to put the XTS into production. It is still a concept car regardless of what the automotive media says so that answers my question. I'm passing it on.
    The load leveler in my 03 Deville has ceased to work. Anybody else had this problem? The fuse for the "Air Pump" is fine. What do you think the problem is? A bad unit?
    The service people say that the problem is usually the pump. This pump alone costs around $500 so this is one fix that isn't going to happen.
  • catwilldocatwilldo Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a leak on the driver side of my car, but the only time it leaks is when it's raining. I'm not sure exactly how its coming in but it's making a stinky mess in my car.

My car is a 2002 Cadillac DTS.
    Any advice?
  • davemddavemd Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at some 2007 DTS models. I am considering a 2007 Luxury II model with 25000 miles . I want to offer the dealer a price of 26,000 (on the road including taxes / tags). Is this a fair asking price? or should I go lower? The dealers sticker price is 27,000.
    The car is now (model year) 4 years old. The certification only runs 6 years or 100k miles. Depending when the car was originally delivered you may only have three years left and your certification will cost you about $1500. I think that $27k is high. Look locally and see what 07's are selling for. I wouldn't pay more than $22 -23k for a 4 year old DTS. See what you can get an 09 for with 30k miles. I wouldn't buy any used Cadillac unless it was certified from a Cadillac dealer. You are practically out of the 4 year 50k factory warranty but you can always buy an extended warranty. The 07's came with a powertrain warranty for 5 years/100k miles but most problems on Cadillacs do not involve the powertrain.
    Can you get in touch with the former owner? Do you have service records on this car? All of these are factored into the price that you should offer.. Personally I think that $27 is a bit high. The dealer probably paid 20 for it or less.
    Hi, I ended up buying a 2007 DTS w/ 31,000 miles on it, paying $23,000 on the road. Its a luxury I version. It is still under full warranty until May. I may consider buying the extended bumper to bumper policy. Thanks for the post.
    That was a good deal. I hope that you enjoy the car.
  • ronjay2ronjay2 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE PURCHASED A LOW MILEAGE 2007 CADILLAC DTS. THE ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE IS THE EXCESSIVE WIND NOISE AT THE FRONT WINDSHIELD. THE LOCAL DEALER CLAIMS IT IS JUST NORMAL WIND TURBULENCE. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS NORMAL FOR A LUXURY CAR LIKE THE CADILLAC. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
    My wind noise was coming from the rear passengers door. The door was not aligned properly. I took it to the Ford dealer body shop and that is what they found. I have know the guy in charge of this body shop for years so can trust what he says.
    I also get some wind noise from the mirrors and nothing can be done about the. It's the way the car was designed.
    You might want to have your car checked by some other place to see what they say.
    People have commented that my 2007 DTS is nosier than the other Cadillac's I owned. It is not a quiet as I expected. They say if you undercoat them it makes them quieter but have not tried that. The undercoat is suppose to eliminate some of the road noise.
    Lately I met a guy that rode in a friends new sport model Cadillac and he said it was very rough riding and noise. I think they are going backwards.
    With all the problems I had with my car the next car will probably be a Lexus
    My 2007 has seemed pretty quiet, however, this is the first Cadillac I have owned. Only when its extremely windy outside do I hear some wind noise, but for the most part its quiet. Also, my car just hit 32,000 miles. The dealer suggested to have the coolant changed, so I did that. Do you guys think I need to change the transmission fluid / filter at this point ? also what else should be done. According to the manual, its not much needed yet..
  • hook35hook35 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Dts and had the windshield re-sealed. This stopped several unknown noise'es. Is much quieter unless their is a very strong wind. Mine was still under warrantee, Cadillac fixed it.
    Does anyone know if anything has changed regarding the XTS Concept? All of the automobile media have said that the car will be out in 2012 or 13 but there is no official word from Cadillac. As far as I'm concerned Cadillac has left me. The cars are either too big or too small. Cadillac really needs a car the size of the LaCrosse that gets good mileage. The CTS rides stiffly like a Mercedes and is cramped in front with the huge console. The DTS is antiquated and is too big. I already have a Traverse that rides well and essentially replaces my DeVille. I don't need two big cars. I'm considering a Malibu at least until Cadillac puts something out that is intermediate sized. I think that they are shooting themselves in the foot by not building something larger than the STS (which has inadequate back seat space) and smaller than the DTS. .
    My DTS is about to go out of new car warranty and wondered if forum members had suggestions as to where I can get the best price and quality of warranty in an extended service contract. Reliabilty of the Insurance company is very important to me.
    The only choice as far as I'm concerned would be the GM Protection Plan. I don't buy third party insurance policies. The GM one guarantees service at any GM dealer and you don't have to submit bids.

I've sold my 03 DeVille and probably won't get another Cadillac. The XTS is going to be the size of a LaCrosse which is not much larger than a Malibu. I'll buy a new Malibu in the next couple of months. Cadillac has lost me. They used to be big comfortable 6 passenger cars. If I want a performance suspension I'll buy a Mercedes. The CTS rides about the same as my 1997 Silverado Extended Cab except that the Silverado has decent room in the front seat without the huge console the CTS has. Actually the best replacement for a DTS is an Avalon for ride comfort and resale value. Anyway I'm sorry to leave Cadillac - I've had 6 of them - but Cadillac has left me.
    The dealer in Lubbock TX says that the XTS will be on the showroom floor in March of 2012. I'm waiting for a road test. There must be some pre-production cars out there but the car magazines treat it as an afterthought.

It better be significally bigger than the STS or I'll get an Avalon and wait for the "luxury" Cadillac that is suppose to appear in '14 or '15.