Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    reminds me of a Honda Civic, at the wheels. Looks a lot like the accesory wheels Honda offers on the Civic.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also I think the C pillar is very similar to the C pillar on the '92-'95 Civic 4-door.

I've seen a few articles on the new Spectra and it's interesting how positive they have been--the one I saw yesterday in USA Today was particularly glowing. If this car is as good as its press, Kia will have a winner.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    At NAIAS, just this past Wednesday. Looks good in person, better even than the photos. I like the outside better than the inside.

They had 2 EX models.

Two things impressed me right away: the headliner had a fabric cover and was softly padded. You usually don't see that at this price level, usually it's that cheap mouse fur. Maybe base models get that.

The other nice touch was the fabric on the seats. It felt very plush, like a soft velour. Again, stuff you don't typically see at this price level.

The rest of the interior was class average, i.e. cheap carpets and so-so plastics.

The Kia stand got little attention. Hyundai did better with the HCD8 and more crowds.

-juice
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and 4-wheel discs? Those are apparently going to be options for the new Spectra. The last pics I saw of the new Spectra at the Detroit show made the front appear to sit higher than I had seen it previously. The blue they painted that Spectra was very nice and the red one I saw the other day on the Kia site both look very good. I'm curious what Kia will price the new Spectra at...I'm guessing an MSRP of around $13,500 w/ some decent appointings at that price. If so, this car will sell very well for Kia. These will be at dealers in March of 2004, according to Kia.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

would do fine for me. Side Curtains, a nice interior, and a decent engine. Kia has a winner. Even without tossing $1000 cash it does right now on Sedonas and Sorentos.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "Those are apparently going to be options for the new Spectra."

Why would 4-wheel discs and side curtain airbags be optional? The press release clearly states they are standard on all Spectras.
    The blue paint was indeed very sharp.

-juice
    ABS....does only the EX model get side curtain air bags and 4-wheel disc brakes? Also, if it gets 4-wheels discs does that NECESSARILY mean that it also has ABS braking? I'm guessing that what they usually call the LX, or lower-priced model, won't get all of these appointments.

Will they offer a Navy Blue? Or will the bright almost neon blue be the only blue offered?
    and the EX models(all 2004 Spectra's) get 4-wheel disc brakes and full side curtain airbags. Only the EX model can be equipped with optional ABS brakes.

• yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Wow what a great looking car, amazing for the price point, cant wait for the hatch to come out, if it looks half as good as the sedan i will be the first in line. Here is a good link, check it out!!!!!

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Kia.spy?artid=1- 9132&pg=1
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Has anyone seen photos of the hatchback? The sedan is nice but a little senior for me. I do not buy sedans. If anyone has seen photos, is there a difference in the style like the present spectra's?
    concerning the new '04 Kia Spectra hatchback body style(or anything else about it). If anyone does find something please post it on here, OK?

I haven't seen anything, but if I do, I'll post.
    of the new Kia Spectra. This article calls it the 2005 Kia Spectra but I think Kia wants it to be called the 2004 Kia Spectra. It is a very favorable review and it mentions that Canadians will be paying $1,100 more for the base model than last year's Kia Spectra base model. The side curtain airbags are praised as are the 4-wheels discs and the available options are discussed here including body variants like a front spoiler and rear valence. BTW-this blue Kia is making this Spectra model in LOOKS VERY NICE TO ME! The new Spectra and new Sportage and new Hyundai Tuscon are all front runners on my list now. Here's the link.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Kia.spy?artid=2- - 0718

will still make it cheaper than the Civic in the states.
    above you can see what great a BARGAIN the new 2004 Kia Spectra really is. For many reasons but one good one are those side curtain airbags being installed as STANDARD equipment on this handsome little car. That design is starting to make me forget about Hyundai's GT V6 Tiburon and to me that is saying a lot! The article mentions pricing coming out a little bit closer to delivery time to the U.S.(late spring) but if it's close to my estimate of $13,299(it will be)it's a great deal, especially with the Long Haul, and that's why it's going to be very difficult for anyone to compete with the HyunKia small-vehicle import machine that is chugging ever-so-nicely along.
        Additonal thought on the new Spectra: the European model 2004 Spectra will be Kia's first diesel engine offerings in their history. There will be two diesel variants in Europe offered for Spectra. All Spectra's imported to the U.S.will have CVVT engines which will cut down on emissions and improve gas mileage. I pulled consistent 28-32 mpg results on my '99 Sephia when I had it, so I was never really down on the Sephia for those type of numbers, anyway. The link above from the Canadian car site mentions Kia saying that the new Spectra will get 25mpg city and 34 mpg highway with the automatic transmission option.

If Kia wants the all-new Spectra to be called a 2004 model, then what are the cars that my local Kia dealers are selling as "2004 Spectras" that are the design that has been around for several years? Won't that be confusing?
    It was confusing to me when I first heard of the Cerato/Spectra and Kia referring to it as the 2005 Kia Spectra coming out in the spring of 2004(As a 2005 model, I thought). Subsequent articles from Kia called the new Spectra the "2004 Kia Spectra" so we'll need to get set straight on this question. Any thoughts on this anyone?

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Sounds like the Volkswagen strategy. I imagine I stand with a lot of other parts dealers when I say that I hate that system, because it results in exchanges like this:

Customer: "I need a hubcap for a 1999 Golf GL."
    Me: "The new '99 or the old '99?"
    Customer: "What?"

I hope they will just call it an '05.

-Andrew L
    they either call the new Spectra the 2004.5 model (like the 2001.5 Passat restyle) or just plain call it the 05 model and be done.
    Lots of other automakers (e.g. Toyota with the Corolla) release new designs early in the year, even in January, and bump up the year by a full digit. What do they plan to do, sell the brand-new "2004"s for all of six months and then release the 2005s, probably unchanged from the (new) 2004s? At least call it a 2004.5 as was suggested, but even that is hokey I think. Toyota has found out (Corolla, Sienna) that it works well to bump up the model year by one for early releases. They are pretty smart, and quite successful; maybe Kia should take a hint from them.
    and they'll call it the 2005 Kia Spectra. If the 2004 Kia Spectra is on the sales lots already(I'm sure it is)and it is the same body style that we've seen since 2001 or so, then this brand new style should be called the 2005 Kia Spectra IMO. Hopefully the home base will send clarifying signals out soon on this matter.

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Just fine tuning- both the official 2003 Corolla and 2004 Sienna launches were March, not January.

~alpha
    I didn't say that the latest Corolla and Sienna were released in January. Perhaps my sentence was more complex than it needed to be, but read it again and you'll see that "January" referred to the clause about "Lots of other automakers...", not specifically about the Corolla. And the Sienna came later in my post.

But I was thinking... I have a technical paper I need to review tomorrow morning on an end-to-end Web services infrastructure for a large U.S. corporation--could I send it to you for some "fine tuning"?
    wonder how the resale value will do on the car.
    It will be a several years before Kia's resale value creeps up nearer the leaders, like Honda and Toyota, IMO. Resale value will lag the improvement in the cars themselves. Once enough buyers have positive experiences with the latest Kia designs, e.g. Sedona, Sorento, Spectra, and the coming Rio replacement, and a solid long-term reliability record has been established, we'll see the resale values move up.
    I agree, perception lags about 5 years behind reality.

-juice
    Supposedly Kia has announced base pricing for the Spectra at the Chicago show. I haven't been able to find an official press release on it but the price is $12,620.

That is for the LX trim which includes things such as..

2.0 138hp 135 lbs.-ft. CVVT engine
    4-wheel discs
    side air bags and side curtains
    CD audio system with 6 speakers/tweeters
    Auto-off headlights

Keep in mind however that this pricing is VERY good, but the LX trim does NOT have A/C or power windows/locks.

Here is the info from the Spectra press release about what equipment the LX trim has compared to the EX.

"The all-new four-door Spectra is available in two trim levels: LX and EX.

Like all of Kia’s vehicles, each model features an impressive list of standard features inside and out, including: auto-off headlights, AM/FM/CD audio system with six speakers and door-mounted tweeters, height adjustable steering column, tachometer, six-way adjustable driver’s seat, digital clock, tinted glass, rear window defroster and dual map lights with sunglasses holder.

Major options for the LX trim level include four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, air conditioning, rear spoiler and carpeted floor mats.

The Spectra EX model offers additional standard equipment, including: air conditioning, power windows, power door locks with remote keyless entry, dual body-color heated power outside mirrors and front fog lights. Optional equipment includes four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, cruise control, alloy wheels, power moonroof with tilt, rear spoiler, carpeted floor mats and a body kit that adds a front spoiler and rear valence.

The 2004 Kia Spectra is built in Hwasung, South Korea, and will be available in showrooms in late spring. Pricing will be announced closer to launch."
    Give me a break! Also, the lack of air on the LX is a major omission, especially when the Spectra's kin over at Hyundai-land has air and full power standard.
    no cruise control is a big mistake.
    when I saw these new Kia Spectra prices I couldn't believe how low they were. Do you recall me guessing a base new MSRP of $13,500? They've bested that by about $850. Yep, I read the Chicago Auto Show article as well, and it stated the new Kia Spectra prices at $12,620. This is only $247 more than last year's model but includes $1,000 more feature content than last year's model. I think that with the improved body style(much improved IMO)and side curtain airbags and 4-wheel discs standard this a great deal by Kia on the attractive new Spectra. If I were to buy I'd need to get the Spectra EX and include the rear spoiler and alloy wheels. I'd also want to look at one with the body kit to see if I'd want that...has anyone seen one with the optional body kit on?
        Cruise control is not required IMO so no biggie there.

I agree that not everyone needs cruise, but it's a perception thing. The top-level models of many of Spectra's competitors, e.g. Civic EX (even the LX), Elantra GT, and Forenza EX have cruise standard. Every Spectra should have A/C also, even if the base price had to be raised a bit to do it. It's important for defogging even if it's not needed for cooling. Again, Spectra's competitors have not only A/C standard but the power accessories too. This is not Kia's low-end car, and it should not be equipped like one IMO.
    My opinion is they want to keep the price of the car down to make it attractive. This and the long warranty is Kia's big selling points. It also seems safety will be one of their selling points in years to come.

I would much rather them take out A/C or cruise control than to put them in standard but to cut corners on the car as a whole, like cheapening the interior a little to save a few bucks or whatever.

A/C won't be much of an issue, that will be easy to get, especially since it's standard on the EX trim. The cruise control I would suspect will be the most popular option wanted by people so it shouldn't be hard to get as well. The big thing is they shouldn't try to bundle cruise control with more options. Offer it as a stand-alone option and build a good majority of them with that option on it.

I'm interested to see how they do the options though. Will cruise control be a stand-alone option? If so will a lot of them be built without other options added? And please Kia, if you're emphasizing safety then make ABS available WITHOUT forcing a sunroof on the car. If you have to bundle something with cruise control then ABS would be a good one. The package would probably cost no more than $500 or so.

Also keep in mind the US dollar value isn't too great at the moment. They're just trying to keep the price attractive. If cruise control was added then they could have added drum brakes or take out the side air bags. I think cruise control will be readily available so hopefully it won't be much of an issue.

I think the Scion xA and/or xB doesn't offer cruise control at all on the car. The Mazda3 requires the expensive $1200 power package to get cruise control. Again I would rather it be optional than for them to consider cutting corners elsewhere.
    to some shoppers if they're cross-shopping but I don't think it's vacancy from the Spectra standard equipment list will stop sales of the new Spectra. I agree that A/C should be standard. Personally I'd like Kia to step up and add A/C standard on ALL of their vehicles, no matter what model or vehicle type. That having been said, I wouldn't even let the lack of standard equipment A/C get in my way of getting one. Prices are so low that it can just be added(probably what Kia officials are thinking, too). Cruise control is another one that it probably wouldn't hurt Kia to just add it standard as well but, again, to me I don't need or even want it so no bigs. I think what excites me about this car is the new look(right down to the slightly raised back deck)and those wonderful front fender-creases arching back. The front grille is also very nice IMO. If anybody finds a picture of a new Spectra with the bodykit option Kia is talking about post a link to it here, OK? I really wanna see one with that installed. Happy motoring and I sure wish this Missouri snow and ice would melt away!

I don't like this a-la-carte optioning, unless you're going to order from the factory you'll never find what you want on the lot.

Plus they'll nickel-and-dime you until it's no longer a good value. IMO Toyota does this.

-juice
    I can't imagine any dealer is going to have a car on the lot with no A/C. The only issue seems to be cruise control. They might do it in levels kind of like Hyundai does now on some of their cars. They might do something like this:

This is for the EX, which I think Kia said they expect about 80% of buyers to opt for (I think that's the right figure).

Package #1- cruise control

Package #2- cruise control + sunroof

Package #3- cruise control + bodykit

Package #4- cruise control + sunroof + ABS

Package #5- cruise control + sunroof + ABS + bodykit

Well you get the idea. To keep things simple, they'll probably bundle ABS with a sunroof no matter what (Hyundai seems to like to do this with most of their cars). And they'll probably throw in cruise control if you step up to ANY options.
    I mention that because it's the only thing you weren't listing above that I would really want. I'd get the EX also because it has power w/d/l's, too. Thanks for the re-posting of the bodykit pics. Yeah, after further review, the play stands as called..I,... I mean...what a great NFL season, I think parity is running rampant in the NFL. My fave the Seahawks were very much alive until that Hasselback interception in OT by the Packers. Back on subject, after reviewing your bodykit pics, I like it just as much w/o the kits on.
        Also, FYI, that new red Spectra's color in the post above here is the same Kia color as my Sportsman. I like it...I like it a lot!

• ptshpboy23ptshpboy23 Member Posts: 2
    One of the posters on here was confused about the supposed 'body kit'. After reading the post and looking through the various photos provided, I am under the impression that the body kit will be an upgrade to the EX model, or maybe part of the EX model in and of itself. In the 'blue'-colored photos and 'silver'-colored photo you can see there is a bit of a perceptible difference.

To me, the 'maroon' colored car is more than likely the standard LX model with perhaps the alloy wheels as an upgrade. The others would appear to be the EX.

Either way, I am in eager participation of seeing this on the dealers lot. As an owner of a 2001 GSX, I am anxious to upgrade, but when I went to the dealer they stated that this new model of the Spectra would be arriving in the next coming months (more than likely either March or April), debuting as a 2004.5 model.

I agree with the pricing structure, many have complained that the fact that A/C is not standard on the LX to be an annoyance or will have 'difficulty' in finding one with A/C at the dealership. First, please note that you should see practically 75% or more cars in regions with high temperatures/humidity to have the A/C standard, most dealers will have them shipped that way. Secondly, I think Kia is looking to compete also with the newly released Mazda 3i. If you look at that car, A/C is not standard either. Again, it is probably just a marketing tactic to bring people in on the low-end and then they'll eventually get the sticker shock later.

In any event, I think THIS is the car Kia should make, and timing is RIGHT. As an owner of a 2000 Neon before the Kia GSX I now own, one of the biggest things was styling, and those ovoid headlights drew me in, plus the warranty and the price. This time around, I'm looking for more substance, style, power, and refinement. And check it out -- here it is!!!

I am curious if anyone has any preliminary information on exterior / interior color combinations. I am also wondering if a navy blue or darker blue will be offered, or perhaps something beige. Thanks again everyone!!!
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I'm surprised that there are over 30 posts in this topic. Usually, a new Kia does not generate this much fanfare.

Other than that, the new Spectra is the perfect vehicle for Kia at this time. They desperately need a new compact car that is competitive. The old Spectra is exactly that, OLD. The last time the platform was revised was 1998. Since then, there have only been styling tweaks, and other miscellaneous changes.

Hope they offer a hatchback in the fall!
    LX: $12,620

EX: $13,750

LX w/auto: $13,595

EX w/auto: $14,725

My question is why does Kia charge so much for an automatic transmission? The current Spectra's automatic is $975 also. This has no manumatic feature either. I think the Hyundai Elantra's is about $800. So why is Kia charging so much?
    In Kia's press release they say alloy wheels will be optional for the EX trim but don't mention any for the LX. Also the EX gets "dual body-color heated power outside mirrors and front fog lights." This is extra equipment for the EX trim over the LX.

The red car has alloys, body-colored mirrors, and foglights so this leads me to believe that it is the EX trim, while the blue one which is slightly different has the body kit.
    installed. Yeah, however this new Spectra gets optioned by the buyer it is the answer for Kia right now. I happen to really like it's styling...to me it is better than my '99 Sephia styling, although I'm seeing those all over and still really like that body design a lot. This new design tops it-some will no doubt say it blows the old Sephia design away by a lot. This new body design is also better than the Spectra design introduced in the fall of 2001 that we see on the late-model Spectra's now.
       BTW-I was reading on the Kia website a couple days ago and they mentioned that the hatchback version will follow the sedan version by only a few months. The new sedan should start hitting American sales lots in late March-early April.

should be interesting as it doesn't have the Civic/Corolla competition the sedan has. Just the Focus ZX5.
    That is probably Kia Spectra hatchback competition of a sorts, too. Although the Kia Spectra hatch will probably attract a little bit older buyer than the Scion Xa will, one could then argue that the new Kia Spectra hatch is not competition for the Scion Xa.

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This car seems to have the basics. The biggest hurdle is going to be to overcome the Spectra's horrendous depreciation. Did you know that, by the slimmest of margins, the incredibly pedestrian RIO has better retained value than the Spectra sedan?

For 2004, Automotive Lease Guide put the 2 and 4 year retained value on the Spectra Sedan at 31/18, percentage of MSRP, respectively.

~alpha
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    once again i must agree with you, this car has what it needs to be very competitive, however your statement about depreciation scares the crapola out of me, hopefully the new spectra can hold it's value.

I am curious though, how reliable are kia's i know hyundai has made great strides and are neck and neck with honda, but not much is ever mentioned about kia, the Koreans have come along way, i think they are where japan was about 7 to 10 years ago.
  • ptshpboy23ptshpboy23 Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks,

I have owned my 2001 Spectra GSX for 3 years now. The ONLY trouble that I have seen in the entire 3 years of ownership was the automatic transmission which was replaced at approx. 22K miles. It did not die, but rather started to exhibit a slight whining noise which became only slightly louder upon acceleration. It could have been an easy fix, but the dealer decided to replace the whole thing. I can now honestly say the car drives EXACTLY the way it was when new, even with the new transmission. I have ripped and roared the hell out of the car, and enjoy driving it.

Like many others, Kia owners probably want MORE, and the new 2005 Spectra should deliver. As far as depreciation is concerned, my $14K sticker car is now worth no more than $5K... ouch! But the car has over 65K miles now and can honestly say there has not been really any other trouble with it, just routine oil changes, tire changes, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. The warranty is really comforting, and you would think that resale would be much higher given that fact, but unfortunately it is not...yet, anyway. Eagerly anticipating the 2005 model!
    and the post just above. As my handle suggests I loved my Sephia and I presently love the Kia vehicle I traded the Sephia in for, my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. Kia has been in the business of making vehicles a long time. Both of mine have had a few minor fixes required, everything has been picked up at no cost to me by the generous Long-Haul Warranty. Oh, as to the comment about only buying Hyundai's or Kia's because of the Long-Haul Warranty: doesn't work with this padre. I buy what I like and I like Kia the best-out of any and all worldwide car manufacturers. Period. They are peppy, reliable, great looking and affordable cars. Just like Kia advertised them to me when I knew nothing about them. I would advise anyone who wants a good deal on a good car to buy one. Resale value is an issue that shouldn't be an issue but it is. If you like to keep your rigs until the wheels fall off of them then Kia's make a lot of sense to buy. If you finance one and then intend on trading it in on another rig in a year or two, you're gonna take a hit-a large hit. Truth. That's not an issue for me so I buy them.
        As for the new 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra, I say it looks great and with an MSRP of $12,620 it's a great deal once again. I really like the styling on this car and it's plopped on a Hyundai Elantra base-none too shabby. Side airbags, side curtains and 4-wheel disc brakes are standard equipment as well. That IMO is a lot of car for the money and I'll be keeping my eye on it.

This discussion has been closed.