Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    No, there has only been one TSB update for the TCM (transmission contol module). That was issued to address customer concerns about the hesitant shift between 2nd and 3rd. It was issued in June 2005. Overall except for the somewhat odd shift behavior, the transmission simply has not been a problem from a reliabilty standpoint. This does not mean that it is not the best transmission match for the engine power characteristics, which it is not.

The ECM has had three updates. The first two one month apart at the end of 2004. The last one in June of 2005 was to address the EPA concerns regarding the two other software updates that were performed for the stalling issue.

So far there has not been a TSB issued for valve tappet noise as someone erroneously stated before. It is important that people posting stick with the facts and check the information before posting. Just because they read it on a message board makes it true, right? :surprise:
  • tonyc4tonyc4 Member Posts: 14
    Sounds like some serious problems out there, not sure whats going on. My Suzuki dealer services 5 veronas including mine, 2 have had engine replacements. I saw the engines lowered from the chassis ( look nice ) I noticed the tranny looks nothing like a GM unit, more like a ZF ( fully finned casing ) I also noticed the word " Siemens " stamped on my ECM module. If you look at your invoice sticker you will notice the engine and tranny are made in Korea. Not sure where all this GM stuff came from. Again, I enjoy my verona, revs nicely to redline and hugs the curves like glue.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Hi tonyc4, can you shed a bit more light on the window track realignment? Which window was affected? I'm having an issue with the driver's window and would like to know if it's the same problem...thanks.
    In response to the window track problem, when I lowered or raised the drivers door window I could hear a loud clunk, like the glass was coming in contact with something. I took it to the dealer who found something loose or misaglined, and made the repair in about 30 minutes, works fine now.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    5 veronas including mine, 2 have had engine replacements.

Do you know why they had to replace the engine? I thought it was the "heads" that were bad.
    The two engine repacements were because of stalling. They told me the engines had no compression.
    I know this doesn't involve your particular situation, and your getting this stuff second hand, but this makes no sense. How can the motors not have compression? The stalling issue was linked to the ECM. The rings, valves, and pistons had to be defective from the factory in order for this explanation to be plausible.
    Not sure about the compression loss. Service deptartments dont give out too many details unless you grill them.
  • noregretsnoregrets Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 04 EX in the fall of of 03 and at the time monitored and participated in this forum for six months. I dropped away when the new car euphoria wore off, but 30,000 miles and two years later I have no regrets about the purchase. The car has served me well and I still find it a pleasure to drive.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Hi,
    I am back after along gap. The Verona after its initial cup of woes regarding ECM, sensors etc. ran without incident from Dec 2005 till Oct 2005. Two weeks back, the check engine light went on. I took it to the dealer and they ran the OBD-2 and found out that the 6'th cylinder had low compression. So they had a dud of an engine. The dealer took it under warantee and asked for a new engine!!. They also had to replace 2 clock springs (One broke while installation). Now I have the car back after 15 days with a new engine. This is the final straw. I seriously doubt the QC of this car. I have done 13000 miles in two years and had meticulous maintenance and yet this car has embarrassed me on numerous occasions. Last year while attending a relative's marriage, the Car refused to move on the wedding day!!. Now a new engine and many parts later, I am not sure if it will run another 2 months without incident.
    I am dissapointed. For those who havent had this kind of nightmare, pray!!.
    No more Suzuki's for me. :lemon:
    "Two weeks back, the check engine light went on. I took it to the dealer and they ran the OBD-2 and found out that the 6'th cylinder had low compression. So they had a dud of an engine. The dealer took it under warantee and asked for a new engine!!."

You are not the first to have engine problems. Many have reported "head failures" also. It's a darn shame.... it's a beautiful car. They need to trash this model and start over. Something tells me thats what will happen.....
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    For those that want to know....
    NAPA parts stores have 2004 Verona filters for the air Filter #2838 at $14.29 and a Cabin Air Filter #4906 at $23.39 and also the oil filter. I did not get the price but the part # is 7046.
    There is also a STP oil filter #S2903
    Veronaowner...
  • spelspel Member Posts: 1
    We bought the Vernoa 1 year ago. I think it has been in the shop more than my garage! The car was only 1 1/2 months old when we had our first oil leak. Now three leaks later I have a new engine and I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I will never buy another suzuki! :lemon:

Has anyone else had any problems with the crusie control just shutting off.
    Question: Any symptoms / lack of performance when the check engine light appeared? No abnormal operation? Hard to believe your well-maintained engine would just fail after 13,000 miles. Did Suzuki service offer an explanation; e.g. oil other than 5W-30, hard driving, etc? As for me, I'm concerned, the miles are racking up on my EX (60 miles per day, odo now over 8,000) and I certainly hope one day this doesn't happen without warning. Good luck to you, let us know how you fare with your new engine...
    With the new Engine the Verona ran OK. The previous engine check light did not appear to result in less power. When analyzed under the computer the dealer reported that one of the six cylinders showed lack of compression or power. The Car was essentially running on 5 cylinders at that time. They said that the O rings might be deformed. I dont know. They said that the Company would be analyzing the cause. There was no hard driving. The dealer said that not too many Veronas had that problem at his dealership. But I do read on this forum that some others have had such problems. I have decided to trade and buy a new car anyway.
    With this type of QC I dont want to take further chances with my Car. Some of you might have good QC cars and may be running well. I have got to appreciate the dealer who helped me to his best extent.
    I am done with Verona for now.
    Good Luck to you guys !!!
    "I have decided to trade and buy a new car anyway."

So I am assuming the problem was never corrected on your car. I think the above story illustrates a certain point. If anyone is considering a purchased of a Verona-don't buy used. It might be like a box of chocolates---you don't know what you will be getting!
    No, Suzuki corrected the defect and the problem was resolved. But with my car going in 6-7 times in for repairs does not inspire enough confidence to retain the car.This is after 2 years/13000 miles. I was not sure of the QC of my car. After 3 yrs and 36000 miles what would you feel if you had to have major repairs?
    The Verona does have a lot packed in...fog lights, steering wheel audio, very roomy. But high QC is necessary to have a great car.
    Check Engine light popped up last month, took it in and they pulled up 3 codes, misfire on cylinders 1-2-3 plus a couple of random misfires. They had no cure so they turned it over to Suzuki Tech. Last week I was unable to fill my gas tank, fuel just wouldnt go in the tank. Took it in and they found the charcoal canister full of raw fuel, replaced it and now I'm fine, car runs perfect,no misfires and the motor no longer feels like it wants to stall all the time. Plus more power and idle speed does not fluctuate. I always top up the tank during fill-ups...dont do it...it overwhelms the EVAC system and dumps raw fuel where it doesnt belong ( mainly the charcoal canister, which stores fumes only ) New Verona comes out next spring if anyone interested.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Where did you read about the new Verona next spring? :confuse:
    "New Verona comes out next spring if anyone interested."

With just over 12,000 units sold last year, and all these problems people have, who in their RIGHT MIND would buy one of these things?
    I still am not sure what information precedes the flawed assumptions of "all these problems" and "many people" in regards to the anecdotal evidence posted here.

So far the total number of people with real problems here has been less than 12 since the stalling issue. In addition the NHTSA has logged ZERO complaints on the 2005 model year Verona. If there really has been 12,000 model year 2005 Veronas sold then the complaint ratio is really small indeed.

Until there is hard statistical evidence of the so-called widespread problems, it is foolish to generalize with the small amount of anecdotal evidence available so far.
    So far the total number of people with real problems here has been less than 12 since the stalling issue. In addition the NHTSA has logged ZERO complaints on the 2005 model year Verona.

The reason there are not any complaints is because there are hardly any on the road. Again, there has been 12,000 sold in the entire country. The number of complaints here is probably representative of others, since the ECM, (to site an example) was a KNOWN SOFTWARE PROBLEM, it affected almost every Verona made. Yea, I know a few have been hesitant to have the upgrade done and have not had any problems, but a software problem FROM THE FACTORY translates in to most people having problem. This is just ONE EXAMPLE. There have been two on this board who have had to have new heads and/or motors. How many other unreported (on this board) nation-wide have had this problem? These cars (Veronas) are disasters. The sooner they are replaced, the better off the public will be. Don't believe me? Get a trade in appraisal from a dealer, then you will know.
    Read post 1379 again. This guy will take it in the shins on his trade. He has no confidence anymore in his car! What a shame. SHAME ON SUZUKI-GM-Daewoo!
    The anecdotal evidence here is simply not enough to base any kind of generalization.

The stalling issue was reported to and by the NHTSA which indicated that the first ones shipped had the problem. By now if there had been any major widespread problems in the 2005 model year some complaints would have been posted with NHTSA. I would expect to see at least the same number on the 2005 at this time as the 2004s had by December if there were any kind of widespread issue like the stalling issue in the 2004s.

Going by the same logic, one would have to say that every Honda Accord was junk because of the widespread transmission problems in all the complaints about the Accord. Even though in reality it was limited to the V6 models made between 1998 and 2002.

The same logic would be sufficient to say that people should stay away from the Ford Focus because of its first couple of model year problems. But it now is rated as one of the most reliable and problem free new cars available today.

A trade appraisal has nothing to do with the quality of a car but has to do with market appeal. Suzuki cars have a long history of low resale value, just like most domestic vehicles. Try trading in the venerable and reliable Ford Taurus that is one to two model years old.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    it's interesting to me that the more complicated the Daewoo the more negative reports (even though I agree it's anecdotal)-- I'm not sure whether it's the manufacturer or that Suzuki dealerships are weaker than Chevy.
  • ken_tfrmcaken_tfrmca Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I admit I'm a 05 Suzuki Verona owner! Should I hang my head in shame now? Actually, my wife Barb bought it. I'm into motorcycles way more than cars but I gotta admit, I *really* like that Verona. I have an 04 Crown Victoria but believe it or not the Verona rides better and is quieter. I thinks it's got 9k miles on it so far, so the jury is certainly still out on the Verona's reliability. Shortly after purchase I kidded Barb she'd be one of 15 people in the state that actually bought one and in 5 years no one would remember what they were, which I thought may be the case after reading a few of the horror stories from 04 owners posted. At any rate, I found this site and am looking forward to hearing the good and the bad. I'm a mechanical type and have owned FIATs, so how bad can it be, LOL?
  • wmor51wmor51 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 04 got it as a leftover 5 months ago. paid 12.000 for it .i have 7000 miles on it.have had 3 or 4 miner problems but were fixed .it runs great and i love the looks and the ride.i started out with mobil 7500 oil but changed to havolin seems to run better. hope i don't have the trouble other's have had.
    Welcome. I have an '04 Verona EX, and I've read the horror stories as you have. In spite of everything, I cannot find fault with this car, no matter how hard I try (and I am very particular). The car is driven over 60 miles every day, stop and go driving, etc. and reliability has been superb. Gas mileage averages around 22 mpg; I'm sure long trips are much better. I appreciate the heated seats now that winter is in full swing; the tires appear to have excellent traction, it's roomy and comfortable, the ride is quiet, the engine is smooth, quiet, and strong. If you like the car, as I do, you should not be ashamed; I know there are many dissatisfied Verona owners out there, but IMHO it's out of proportion; most owners that are satisfied don't find need to express it on a public forum. Just trying to keep things in perspective.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Welcome to the forum, Ken. Don't get too hung up on the naysayers here. If you want to talk about cars with problems, find a BMW mechanic. You will likely have fewer problems with your Verona than your friends with their BMWs or even Mercedes. I bought one of the first Veronas sold in my town in October, 2004. I have had absolutely zero problems. At the worse, I have gotten about 20 mpg in the winter when making short trips. At best, I got 33 mpg once on a trip. I keep records of everything and so far in 2005 my average is 25.7 mpg from 50% town/50%highway driving. Over the last 40 years, I have only purchased new vehicles, from Passats to Cadillacs, and my Verona is by far the most car for the money than any of the others. It is a great car and draws lots of favorable comments. I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • zodiaczodiac Member Posts: 9
    Hi.
    I must agree with the last two posts regarding the [ Suzuki Verona - Chevy Epica ] I have had my 04 Epica since April 04 apart for a change in the computer chip, I can say the car has performed flawlessly.

I do alot of city and mountain driving in my area and find it with no faults.

I have a friend who has a 04 Nissan Altima and he has had in the shop on numorus occasions for one thing or other.

The Verona must be perfoming, for we haven't had many complainers just resantly.

Merry Christmas = To everyone and happy Motoring.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a 2005 Verona demo with 6500 miles on it. This is the first time I've ever bought a car without knowing anything about it first. I love the ride and the way it drives although still have an uneasy feeling about it. I'm not impressed with the gas mileage. I'm thinking of maybe seeing if I can get a 2006 Forenza instead. Any thoughts or advice for me. Like I said, I really like this car but... Problems I should be looking for? Does anybody else have a problem with cruise control fluctuations? All comments appreciated.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Well, I took my Verona in today to get my turn signal fixed. It hasn't been cancelling on left turns for quite a while now. They finally got the part in from Suzuki, said it was a recall, and a new improved part. It seems to be better than the old one, and doesn't have the same brittle, about-to-break-off feel. Best of all, it cancels like it should now. All I need now is the latest software flash for the tranny, and I will be all set.

BTW, GTS, the mileage does improve as the car gets more miles on it, be patient.
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all the Suzuki owners on this board. May all your troubles be taken care of and you prosper in the new year.

Ken
    Veronaowner
    Just checked my figures for 2005. My overall mpg was 25.15 vs 24.70 for 2004. I live in a town of 60,000 in Central Oregon and my mileage was probably 40% driving around town and 60% on the highway. This is for a 2004 Verona I bought in Nov. 2003. Other than gas and oil, I haven't had any other expenses. Does anyone else know what kind of mileage they have been getting over an extended period of time. Also, has anyone had to buy new tires, yet. I have 28,000 on mine and they look like they should be good for another 10 or 15,000 miles.
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    my 2004 ex got rear ended in the summer and we got it fixed
    I think the insurance companys should give you a new car when there customers cream your new car but they won't!
    That is why this might be the last new car I buy. I must of got a good one in 2004 I still like the ride and the interior was thinking of trading until I climbed into the new impala and seen the cheap plastic interior on that car
    and new my ex was better. The car is smooth and the heating and air is great. hope you all have a nice new year. :)
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hi everyone, have not posted in a long time, but just wanted to answer evergreen. I average about 20-24 mpg, and i travel alot for work. I have a 2004 ex which i bought in dec 2003, and have had none of the issues everyone else has. Love this car,and have a total of 3 suzuki's. As for tires, i had to replace mine with about 31,000 miles on the car. I put on eagle rs-a's, and they are great. My suzuki dealer told me he recommends kuhmo tires for these cars. I currently have 35750 miles on my 2004, and going strong. Just a note to everyone, the dealer also gave me a book with the 2007 verona in it. You can mistake it for an infinity, and it is totally changed..
    Suzuki's current Verona shares a chassis, powertrain and sheetmetal with the Daewoo Magnus sedan produced in Korea. We saw a rendering of the next Daewoo Magnus, due as a 2006 model, which could well mean that the Verona will be re made on this platform in '07. The current car was designed in Italy, and one look at the prototype suggested to us that the next Verona will wear even more stylish European sheetmetal when it arrives here. Expect the Verona to grow in size, power and refinement over the current car. It's possibly abandoning the standard inline Six of today's car for a choice of 4-cylinder and V6 models.

I said they should of dumped this trouble probe powertrain a long time ago. The motor they now have, all though sophisticated, can't be managed by the ECM.
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Two years ago I purchased an 04 Verona. I loved it. :) However, the past two months have been dreadful for it began showing its citrus side. :lemon: The problems were internal and could not be found. Sadly, with less than 10K miles on it, I had to trade it in :cry: I truly believe it was just one of those things that could have and probably has happened to any car.

Therefore, I decided to give it one more try with an 05 Verona. I do not have any regrets about my purchase. I loved my 04 and I'm sure I'll love my 05 just as much if not more. :D Happy motoring!
    "The problems were internal and could not be found. Sadly, with less than 10K miles on it, I had to trade it in I truly believe it was just one of those things that could have and probably has happened to any car."

When you look at the number of other cars sold- Camry, Ford 500, Chevrolet Malibu, etc and the number of problems they have, the Verona has had more than it's share based on the volume sold.

The Verona has been a very slow selling car with less than 12,000 units sold in '04. To have internal problems and turn-around and buy another one to me is being very optimistic-at best!
    I thought I wouldn't be reporting this for a long time, but my MIL light came on suddenly this week. Mileage is about 10,750. Code is a P0456, evaporative system small leak. It came on after 30 miles of driving, at a stop light (that is the time when the ECM typically performs the test). Dealer would like to have the car for the entire day, because small leaks may be difficult to diagnose / locate. Also checked the air filter myself, and one of those very cheap plastic clips cracked upon reassembly. Part is not in stock, available from Suzuki in a few days. Does anyone else have these issues?
    Yes, I have had similar problems and much worse ones. My ABS light came on and it cost me $1500 to replace some sensors and other things. Then the cruise control went on the blink and that cost me $400. Then there was the problem with the rear window wiper and that was several hundred dollars more. This all happened on a VW Passat I purchased new in 1997. Two years ago I traded it for a Verona EX which cost ten grand less than the Passat. I haven't had a problem with it and am very glad I made the switch.
    An evaporative system small leak is most often related to the gas cap leaking. Could have been not tightened all the way or a worn or damaged gasket. It also can occur when a rock hits through one of the evaporative lines going from the fuel tank to the canister.

The evaporative system leaks usually just take one days worth of searching to find if they are not the common areas.

You didn't by chance just fill up with gas?
  • jdp3253jdp3253 Member Posts: 2
    I’ve been a lurker on this board almost since its inception. In fact, the initial reactions to the Verona influenced, in part, my decision to buy a 2004 EX. After 17 months of repeated service trips to the dealer, I finally traded the Verona with 17,000 on the odometer.

The problems included erratic outside temp reading, erratic fuel gauge readings, broken window regulator, replaced interior door panel, replaced two leather seat covers. A CD player going to the beginning of the track if the car was shut off (made books on CD a real joy!). A transmission that surged between 50 and 60 miles per hour, particularly when coming off of throttle. The climate control that seemed to only work the air conditioning (for heat you had to set the temp to 85 degrees). Steering wheel radio controls that would intermittently "Mute" the radio. Even after reflashing, numerous CELs that kept coming back and service never explained. And I could go on.

The last service visit was the final straw. After having the car for over two weeks, service informed me they had replaced the cats, the spark plugs were oil soaked, and they found oil in the throttle body. Of course, no explanation. I get into the car and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor and solenoid that releases the gear shift lever is making a thumping noise as the foot brake is applied. Left the car in service and traded for a Subaru Legacy GT.

Sadly, the Verona was a great idea, but poorly executed and supported. Best to all those that got good ones.
    I certainly can understand your frustrations, bear in mind many of the symptoms you describe were voiced by other owners. Just to comment, I've noticed the outside temp reading anomaly and the intermittent mute on the audio system. The CEL's are a nuisance. I've just reset this on my 04 EX. Incidentally, the CD track reset is not a malfunction, that's the way it works. Annoying, yes. But after nearly 2 years of daily driving, I've not experienced the oil soaked plugs and throttle body...yikes!...and the release solenoid sounds like something service screwed up. Question: who changed your oil, and can you confirm the grade...e.g 5-30; 10-30? Curious minds would like to know!

BTW, my local Suzuki dealer also sells Subaru's and I was admiring one yesterday...they seemed a little pricy...over $37K? Didn't examine too closely.

Good luck with your new Legacy, let us know how you like it.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Hi everyone,Well I'm about to turn 50,00 miles and I still love this car. I've had one problemm with the tapping noise but it was fixed to my satisfaction to as new or better. If the 2007 looks as godd as it sounds, I'll definitely buy another. I sure would like to see a picture of it. P.S. This post is especially for Chuck who seems to have an extraordinary hatred for Suzuki.
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Optimisim fading! :(

My second attempt at Verona ownership has also turned sour. While on a flat stretch of highway, my cruise ran away from me, climbing ten miles an hour before I finally shut it down by tapping the brakes. This happened a few days after my fuel filler door release broke.
    "This post is especially for Chuck who seems to have an extraordinary hatred for Suzuki."

See post 1407. It's his second Verona.......and he is having problems already. He just bought this car. It can't have very many miles on it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The only Subaru over $37K is the Tribeca, with the Outback wagons up to about $36.3 in top trim (3.0R VDC, Navigation).

~alpha
  • lawson1927lawson1927 Member Posts: 4
    Last month I bought a new 2004 LX Verona at a great price ($12.9K). After two separate trips between Denver and Salt Lake, I'm very satisfied, all seems to work perfect (I know, time will tell). I guess I should be impressed having driven a Saturn SL2 for the past 9 years.

Question, what is the difference between the AUTO climate control setting and MANUAL (or AUTO off)? With the temp set in either mode, doesn't the system work to match the set temp? The manual doesn't seem to explain this very well.
    The AUTO setting not only controls the interior setpoint temperature you've selected, but also adjusts fan speed and mode of air delivery (e.g. floor, vent, defrost, etc.) There are two sensors, one at the base of the windshield adjacent to the alarm status LED and one on the dashboard. As the HVAC system closes in on the setpoint, the fan speed will automatically decrease, and then mode will change to maintain the settings. The AUTO setting also automatically selects OUTSIDE air and RECIRCULATED air. Watch what happens when you sit at a traffic light and then begin to accelerate when the light turns green. The recirc mode will change to outside air. This is a sophisticated system on par with more expensive cars.
  • lawson1927lawson1927 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the details on the AUTO setting!

What happens with AUTO off? If AUTO is off, and I adjust the temp to a particular setting, what happens?

Thanks in advance for your response!