Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• Options
    workbenchworkbench Member Posts: 2
    Hey Im having performance issues with my 04. I have 8000 miles on it, and the dealer has performed one update to the ECM. It seems to run rich when cold (like a stuck choke), loses power between shifts, and totally falls on its face when I need power the most like merging into traffic with tractor trailers bearing down on me. SCARY!!! Im very frustrated.
  • Options
    pciro2180pciro2180 Member Posts: 43
    If you have an 04, I would get rid of it ASAP. I had the same problem with mine, first it was the head that was bad, and then the engine light came on and it was the throttle body, the 04 Verona was a nightmare. I now own a 06 Grand Vitara made in Japan and not Korea and not by Gm/Daewoo technologies. And to top the whole Verona thing, I was talking to my service guy at the dealer(mind you that I told them since I owned the car that it surges at about 40MPH), he said that they sold the Verona, and it came back the next day with the engine light on, and it was a bad Coil!!!! With having just 8,000 miles on it, good luck, the problem will arise very soon, especially if it is losing power between shifts. The ECM updates are useless, just a temporary patch to a car/engine Designed by General Motors, I feel sorry for Suzuki, because GM designed a crap car, with the rebadged Daewoo Leganza motor in it. Good luck in your adventures with the daewoo---I mean Suzuki!
  • Options
    larsguestlarsguest Member Posts: 3
    Have this update done at your dealer. I am very happy with the new performance. Seems to have a lot more acceleration.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Suzuki/1127977200000_1131350400000_TS01/1291.html
  • Options
    mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Larsguest, thanks very much for the info. Question: how long did the update take at your dealer? I'm assuming they re-flashed the transmission control module? Does the transmission still "learn" your driving habits (e.g. adaptive) or is it now permanently set for higher shift rpm's?

Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    toymaker1toymaker1 Member Posts: 13
    I have my VeronaEX 2yrs this month. Had new tranny installed at 8,000 miles and car has run perfect since. I'm getting nervous reading all theese bad posts so I'm going to wait for the new LX-7 to come out around Oct. and trade. I had an 02 Limited that I traded for the Verona and the only reason I traded it was because I bought it in the begining of the year and they only offered 3yr 36,000 mile warranty. I saw pictures of the new one and there are a lot of changes plus the HP is upped to 252.
  • Options
    gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    I know a lot of people have had very bad expiriences with their Veronas but I have been quite pleased so far. We have 26000 miles on our 05 now and we are not dissatisfied....yet. Thankfully we have not had the problems most people have had. I do wish it got better mileage but with gas at 3 bucks a gallon, noone is satisfied with their mileage. I do wish Suzuki could have got their sh*t together in regards to engine and performance. The Verona is such a nice looking car, it's a shame it has been discontinued without any attempts to make the engine better. I would like to hear some positive comments from people, if anyone has any that is.
  • Options
    kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    gts, I agree with you completely on every point. I have an 04 EX with 22000 on it, and the engine has been jet-smooth without any hiccups. I do feel however, that most of the problems (slow acceleration, mediocre mileage) stem from the GM transmission, and not the motor so much. I would love to see this car with a manual tranny, or something like the 5 speed automatic in my wife's 07 Sonata. I think that motor could surprise everyone with the right tranny behind (under) it. The rest of the car is really quite good, and I hope Suzuki doesn't overlook that. I think a MODERN ASIAN transmission would work wonders.
  • Options
    evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have over 32k on my 04 EX and haven't had any problems. I haven't even bothered with any of those software updates because I really doubt if it could be any smoother. Sure, better mileage would be nice but since it has given me all those miles of trouble free driving I can't complain too much about the mileage. I have seen 2 used Veronas on used car lots in my town and they were asking an arm and a leg for them. Of course I am sure they would take a lot less than they are asking but it gives me confidence about selling mine if I ever decide to do that.
  • Options
    tonyc4tonyc4 Member Posts: 14
    The Verona automatic is actually a ZF unit made in Korea (model 4HP16). It's an older design from the 90's so it's not exactly state of the art...the new Verona (Daewoo Tosca)comes with an Aisin 5 speed auto.
  • Options
    The Verona automatic is actually a ZF unit made in Korea (model # 4HP16) It's an older design from the 90's so it's not exactly state of the art. The Verona replacement (Daweoo Tosca) has a newer Aisin 5 speed.
  • Options
    jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    I'm finally taking my '04 Verona back to the shop on 08/17, to address ALL Tech Service Bulletins addressed concerning transmission problems, TCM ECM reprogramming, high idle speed, random stalling, quirky steering wheel radio controls, etc. I will reply with an update of the results. :confuse:
  • Options
    alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have an idea on how to get the door panels off without ruining them? I'm wanting to replace those cheap-[non-permissible content removed] speakers but I can barely get the panels to move. Any ideas on how to do this?

ps. I've taken out all the screws that I can find, 7 screws in all.

Thanks! Alienpath
  • Options
    My gas mileage at today's filling is a whopping 14.2mpg. Strangely, my needle was just about on the red line, but I was only able to squeeze 13.9 gallons into the tank. The tank is supposed to hold 17.2 gallons, according to Suzuki's website.

My--aye--aye--aye--aye--whoo.
    Ma--ma--ma--my Verona. :cry:
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the tank only hold 15 gallons. At least that's what it is for my '04. BTW: Mine's in the shop getting a myriad of problems looked at. :sick:
  • Options
    For any of you who are experiencing tranny problems, ask for the ECM to be reprogrammed (per TSB # TS 07 10185). I've only driven it about 70 miles, but so far, it's a vast improvement. ;)
  • Options
    Ask for service in regards to TSB TS 07 10185, titled "ECM Reprogramming for false slow O2 sensor DTCS". Mine was free, and these problems (so far) have been eliminated and/or greatly reduced. ;)
  • Options
    The tank on this car holds 17.2 gallons of gas, when I had my lemon 04 Verona, the light would come on and I would fill up 14.5 gallons, w the reserve, and i would get about 21 mpg. Alienpath, if you are getting 14 mpg and own a 04 then you have a serious problem. i had the head, throttle body, and the o2 sensor all replaced before the car had 30,000 mile on it, bcause they were all defective!!! Now that I ditched the GM/Daewoo built Verona in favor of the Japenese built Grand Vitara, I am having no problems Whatsoever. i was upside about 6,000, but the headaches were over. I now find out someone bought the car, and then returned it the next day, engine light on, bad fuel injector. They resold it last week, and by Friday it was back in the shop with a bad Catalytic converter.
  • Options
    My Verona is an 05. I originally had an 04, put less than 10K miles on it in two years, and got rid of it. I thought (stupid me), that the problems I was having was because of the car being a first year model. I traded for a brand new 05 still sitting in the showroom in 06.

I currently have about 3800 miles on it and I can honestly say that I've had less problems with my 05 than I had with my 04. However, the 05's gas mileage is actually worse than my previous 04. Since my last fill up, I've driven about 90 miles and I'm well below 3/4's of a tank.

I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday to have the brakes checked, just to make sure they are not dragging. Other than this, the dealer won't do anything without charging me over $100. Not only am I not happy about this, I'm embarrassed. I'm getting worse gas mileage than the rated mileage of the Toyota 4-Runner. :shades:
  • Options
    gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    Our '05 got pretty bad mileage when we bought it but it seems as we put more mileage on it the mpg increased. Combined city/hwy is now 23-24. Highway mileage is 30-32 mpg. I've also put a K&N air filter in it.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how to remove the door panels so I can get rid of those crappy speakers.
  • Options
    I have thought about changing air filters and going with K&N. I've also heard some say that gas mileage improves with the more mileage driven.

However my car, most of the time, reminds me of driving an old carburated car. It has a bit of a hesitation when pressing down the gas pedal. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting at a light or moving in traffic, it hesitates. Therefore, I'm thinking the fuel/air mixture is wrong.

And yes, I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how to remove the door panels.
  • Options
    mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Check out this link for a step by step procedure for removing / installing Verona door panels. Good luck.

http://chevy.mrmax.dp.ua/EN/documents/Evanda/sm-v/5V2_9G0.en.html#V9G0IT
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Daewoo designed the car to use the ZF gear box. When GM took over that unit was replaced with a lower cost GM unit.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Suzuki is doing the right thing by discontinuing this car. It has really hurt their reputation
  • Options
    pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know anything about the newest TSB that was issued on 9/8/06. It looks like it's for just about all Suzuki models from 1997-2007 model years.

This is all the info I have from the pitstop site.

09086 Pass-Thru Reprogramming Software Version 1.8.0.2
  • Options
    Verona runs a ZF 4hp16 automatic transmission (ZF is a german company), made by daweoo precision in Korea (under license). Not a GM transmission. Despite some clunky shifts it has so far performed flawlessly.
    Has anyone gone through the 30k maintenance? I'm going in next week (costs $375). They change all the fluids (coolant and transmission), fuel, air and cabin filters, plus new spark plugs, and they throw in a car rental for free!
  • Options
    I hate paying $2.40 for worthless information. This TSB is mainly for the dealer, and not the consumer. I would suggest you mention this if needing any service work done in regards to ECM and/or TCM. :sick:

A new pass-thru reprogramming software version number 1.8.0.2, must be
    downloaded and installed prior to downloading and installing the database version
    2.006.0728 and any future database versions, unless notified of a change.
  • Options
    After several trips to a local dealer to fix various issues related to erratic idoling, surging, and transmission issues, I gave up and went to a different dealer. Their technicians isolated my problems to this 1) blocked throttle body (replace), 2) defective map sensor (replace), and 3) broken PCV valve(replace). After spending close to $600, now the car purrs like a kitten. Still thinking about dumping it though, but for now - it drives like it should. ;)
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the link. But after looking over the texts, I decided not to take any further action in trying to replace the speakers myself. I'll just take it to a professional stereo shop and have them do all the work, including putting in a new stereo.

Again, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Why would you have to lay any money out of your pocket when your problems in my opinion seem to be warranty related.
  • Options
    Believe me, I asked twice if these items were covered under warranty, but was told they were not. I am in contact with Suzuki Customer service to see what action I can take.
  • Options
    Hey are you under 36,000 miles? if not good luck because i had the throttle body and map sensor replaced on mine at just over 40,000 miles when the engine light came on, and the dealer service department said tough luck, i had to pay. However; I got the labor free since I had so many problems with the car (I was one of the first in Illinois with the stalling at low speeds), that the district manager saw my name again getting a repair for the i think it was 8th time, and he helped me out a little. I finally dumped the car, with alot of negative equity and got into a demo 06 Grand Vitara, and is running great. Made in Japan by Suzuki, and not Korea by GM. After getting the new car, I called back to the dealer to see if they had sold the car, and they had. But then comes the kicker, it was returned the next day with the engine light on!!! Problem***Bad Oxygen Sensor**. So then I found out two weeks later that someone else bought it, and had it back in three days with a bad catalytic converter!!!(maybe some things to have a heads up on!!) That poor sap, I feel sorry for him, He kept the car. I wish him good luck on keeping it running efficently, it seems that GM really fu**** this one up good with this car.
  • Options
    I lucked out. I am getting reimbursed for my charges (with the help of the Suzuki Dist. Mgr). :)
  • Options
    blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    I'm not sure myself if my above title is a pun. This car stalled out on me at 60 mph with an 18-wheeler trailing me on the freeway once. I am currently in a "Suzuki paid-for rental"....again. So far here are my list of garage work done during the first 3 months on a 2005: ECM reprogrammed, new O2 sensor, new ECM, new MAP sensor and today it is the throttle body. This my first post and I had a lot of time reading every fourth page or so from 2003 to today. The emotional level of posts over time could one day be a college student's thesis I saw the emotions go from: excitement before pre-launch :) , to new car purchase excitement :D , to a few new owners defending it against fewer owners with problems :( , to 50% satisfied owners arguing with 50% dissatified owners :mad: , to what we have now--people virtually "high five"ing each other over Suzuki buying back their disappointing product :shades: . My only question is how do I get them to buy back mine?
  • Options
    You don't happen to live in the Chicago Area do You Jpolwort? Just wanted to figure out if all district manangers were told to help out Verona owners, or if it the same DM that I have, His name is Roger Zack, a very nice guy.
  • Options
    Nope. I do live in southern Illinois, just outside of St. Louis. I would assume I'm part of that metropolitan region. I didn't receive an actual person's name.
  • Options
    My wife recently mentioned to me there was a noise in the drivers side door when she rolled the window up or down. I checked it out and she was right. It is an 04 EX model with power windows. I think all the models had power windows. Maybe not. Anyway, I checked it out and found that when the window reached the halfway point going down, there was a loud knock. Same thing happens when I roll it up. It works fine. It just knocks. Anyone else ever have this problem? I imagine the dealer will have to pull off the door panel and see what is happening.
  • Options
    My window also knocks halfway up and down, took it to the dealer today and they replaced the regulator..all is fine.
  • Options
    Thanks, Tony. I don't know what a regulator is but since I won't be able to get the car into the dealer for a couple weeks I guess we will have to live with the knock. I don't imagine we can make matters worse by using the window.
  • Options
    I own my 04 Ex 2yrs and 2 months and after having the transmition replaced at 7000 miles the car has been perfect[knock wood]. I was thinking of getting rid of it after reading all the complaints on this forum but the car runs so good I decided to get myself a new truck instead. The only problem I'm having right now is getting these rotten love bugs off the paint and windsheild. Come on is their nobody else thats having good luck with this car.
  • Options
    kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    toymaker 1, I too am having good luck with my 04 Verona EX, bought 1/1/05 for 15k brand new. Buy a car on 1/1. Noone, and I mean NO one, is looking at cars. The salesmen look at you like you are mentally defective when you show up, but they can't sell free beer on 1/1.
    I just had my CEL come on for the first time at 25k miles, car running like a top. I find a dealer in PA (I live in OH), show up first thing Friday morning, they take it right in. Mechanic checks codes, checks the gas cap on a machine, tells me my engine needs new software, reflashes the engine, and I am gone. Car still runs like a top. I'm using synthetic oil, it doesn't use a drop, the leather looks like new, and so does the paint.
    If you want to stay in love with your car, DO NOT drive an 06 or 07 Hyundai Sonata. Especially the V6. My wife just bought one of these, and sad to say, it kicks the Verona to the curb. More size, more POWER, and better mileage. Oh well, 40 more payments of 247.00, and she's all mine!
  • Options
    carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello all,
    Its been a long time since i have posted, but i wanted to let toymaker1 know that i love the verona. mine is a 2004 ex bought in dec 2003, and i have 48,100 miles on it. I do alot of traveling in my job, and i have no complaints at all. I did just have the throttle body replaced( at no cost to me), but other then that the car has been flawless. We have 3 suzuki's(2005 xl7(returned a 2002), a 2004 forenza and my verona. If suzuki was going to make a 2007 verona, i would lease one in a heartbeat, but it is not coming out till 2008, so i have to choose between a grand vitara or a audi a4. Audi will not take my verona back early but suzuki will, so i guess its the vitara even though i want a car and not a truck..
  • Options
    Why is Suzuki dropping the Verona in '07, and bringing it back in '08? I assumed it was dead in the water. Where's your source on that info? BTW: After getting my throttle body, map sensor, and PCV value fixed, mine too is running flawless - :) as of this writing...
  • Options
    lawson1927lawson1927 Member Posts: 4
    I now have 13K plus miles on my 2004 LX Verona and the only problem I'm having is coping with all the negative reports on this site. It's scary! So far, the car is functioning perfectly.

I took it to the dealer (Denver) last week for an oil change and any possible TSB updates. Though I bought it new in Dec. 2005, I learned that it was one of the early '04 production cars. It had the transmission TSB flashed previously while at the dealer before I purchased it, and that's it.

While in service, I tried to get a Suzuki sales guy to open up about the car and any of the problems. He said he drives an '05 and has 30K miles on it with no problems and didn't offer any info whatsoever (understandable).

I'm off on a sales trip to Utah this week looking forward to a comfortable trouble free experience :confuse:

BTW, the only other Verona I've ever seen on the road or parked in the 10 months since I've owned the car was at the dealership last week.

Lucky in Longmont, CO
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I was told by my suzuki dealers owner that the verona is coming back in 2008.. to bad i need to turn mine in early due to mileage issues, or i would wait till then
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I was told by my suzuki dealers owner that the verona is coming back in 2008.. to bad i need to turn mine in early due to mileage issues, or i would wait till then
  • Options
    I'm glad I drew out some happy owners this site was very depressing.
  • Options
    blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    After reading a posting about 2008 Veronas I Googled it and I came across Motortrend.com saying it is again going to be built at the Daewoo plant in Korea. Isn't this the same plant that Suzuki blasted for quality problems? In my humble opinion O2 sensors, MAP sensors, ECMs, transmissions and throttle-bodies being replaced at a high ratio on cars with less than 20k miles IS a quality problem. That being said I was wondering if Suzuki can turn that plant around being that GM now only owns a 3% stake in Suzuki instead of the 20% they once owned. I always felt that GM forced Suzuki to make the '04 Verona [everyone has to admit the only advertising you saw from Suzuki for this car was when you walked on the lot and saw it]. Hopefully Suzuki is now thinking that the 2008 version will be their baby and they can make it on their own terms. However, I can't find any confirmation that the 2008 version will be badged a "Verona".
  • Options
    I was told by the service manager when I got rid of my Verona that, they are redesigning the car with a new engine (japenese, not GMKorea), but that it will not be named the Verona due to the issues with the 04 model. the 05 and 06 models don't seem to have as many problems, but they need to rename the car to get themselves further away from the nightmare that is GM. The new Grand Vitara's (which I now own, and is running perfectly)sales are up 500% over last year, while the Verona Sales are down 48%. Right now the Forenza and the Vitara are Keeping Suzuki happy, and the new XL-7 and SX-4 Should bring in more buyers, and lets hope Suzuki can get that new midsized car rolling and people don't associate it with the "Verona".
  • Options
    veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    Got my 04 Verona EX in Oct 03 while in Florida and now live in Alabama, and have had no problems to speak of. Have a bit of a problem with the idle pulsing when stopped with the A/C on sometimes. The biggest problem I have had is getting the proper oil -5W30- and the amount when having the oil changed at the dealer. Was told the 5W30 was for the cold climate. Two different dealers and I called Suzuki Customer service and they called the dealers and that got the proper oil. I guess the Suzuki dealers never look at the owners manual. I asked a Suzuki area rep how many qts of oil was required and he stated "until it is full", which I guess is an answer, but not specific. I have 20300 miles on the car now.
    Anyway, I still like the car and enjoy driving it, but will be a one time Suzuki owner.
    Ken,
    Veronaowner
  • Options
    Recommended quarts are 6.8. I actually had to fill up slightly over 7 one time.