Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• Options
    evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    well, I never actually saw the engine they replaced but I don't have any reason to doubt the dealer. They gave me a free rental car for a week or so both times and I haven't been charged a penney for anything since it is all under warranty. I don't know why they would doing all this just for fun. I never had any problems with either engine they replaced so it's not like they were trying to say they were doing this to resolve some complaint from me. The only possibility I can think of is that they are making a lot of money from Suzuki for swapping out these engines because maybe their regular business is slow.
  • Options
    kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    I too, am the former owner of a Verona who traded his in for an 06 Hyundai Sonata (used), after marvelling over his wife's 07 Hyundai Sonata (new).
    Although I didn't have any real mechanical problems with my Verona, I never really liked the way the transmission shifted. It never held the gears long enough, and never shifted at the right time. I believe the car could have been soooooo much better with a 5 speed automatic like the Hyundais have. The interior was fantastic, switchgear, paint, fit, finish all good. I bought my EX brand new Jan 1, 2004 for around 15000, kept it two years, and traded it for around 10,000. There are great deals to be had on cars in January, when everyone is broke from Christmas, and noone is buying.
    The new Sonatas are tremendous. Bigger, quieter on the highway, much faster, and better on gas.
    I do miss the 4.25% loan I had on the Verona, however, and I always got good service at my dealership. However, Hyundai is trying to build reputation, and you can get the same good service with them.
    I'm sad about the Verona. It missed being a really good car because of the transmission sucking the life out of the engine. The transverse straight six was a brave idea, and I believe with a more efficient (read Asian) transmission, I think it could have been a whole different car. Oh well, I guess we'll never know. I'm sure somebody at Suzuki headquarters does, and if they are reading this, they are saying Yeah! That's right! I said that all along!
    I sure hope they get it right next time, because Hyundai is a juggernaut right now.
  • Options
    axel_roseaxel_rose Member Posts: 16
    You know, it's not fair to judge Suzuki on this car alone. I've had several of they're other vehicles from the past and never had problem with any of them. The other cars made by them have been of good quality and made in Japan. The Aerio and Esteem come to mind. I've owned an Esteem and several Suzuki Sidekicks that have performed quite well for me. I was close to buying a Verona in 2004 but shy'd away after learning that they were Korean made GM/Daewoos rebadged as Suzukis.

I think the main problem here is that these Veronas are warmed over Daewoo Leganzas. They were made in Korea in the Daewoo factory using all the same parts as before.

The Forenza seems to be fairing much better and it is also based on Daewoo designed car and is made in Korea.
  • Options
    blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    Axel, I disagree. Although their other cars do not fair as badly as the Verona, Suzuki splashed their decals all over the Verona and are now claiming what you're claiming--that it's not really a Suzuki. That cop-out alone gives me a bad faith feeling even if I owned their XL7. Unfortunately I do own a Verona and that bad faith feeling is all too real. For those of us who are stalling at stoplights, stop signs, railroad tracks and on the freeways while in motion, excuses are the last thing we want to hear. And for those of us who have made upteen trips to the service department, researched lemon laws and made payments on a car we can't use, we should be applauded for not going "Lindsay Lohan". It's pretty much a consensus that Suzuki would rather pay warranty bills than give an all out recall on this serious safety issue. (Did I mention it was a serious safety issue?) Everytime I hear this claim from the dealership or Suzuki I feel like a rug--stepped on, hosed down and hung out to dry.
  • Options
    My 04 Verona is starting to humm a littleover 25mph or so. I bought new tires a few months ago and was planning to take it back to the tire dealer to have them checked. Then I remebered the CV joint issue I had with a Volkswagen Golf many years ago. Their CV joints usually needed to be replaced at 60,000-80,000 miles. This humm sounds similar. I only have 43,000 miles on the Verona. Has anyone had to have their CV joints replaced?
  • Options
    Just had my Verona in to the dealer to check on the humming noise. They thought it was probably a wheel bearing but discovered it was some bearing in the transmission. Now they are going to replace the transmission. With the new head last Fall, two new engines this year and now a new transmission, I am sure Suzuki now has more money into this vehicle in warranty work than it cost me new. With over three more years on the drivetrain warranty, this car will probably cost them even more. We really enjoy the car and it has never left us stranded so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about it. When the head and both new motors were installed, the dealer picked up on the problem before I even had an inkling anything was wrong. I did notice this humming noise before they did but they said it could still be driven safely and it wouldn't leave a person stranded. I am still wondering if they will eventually decide to buy the car back. Have any of you had your car bought back by Suzuki? How do they figure a price?
  • Options
    marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    The Verona (read: Daewoo) is still being made and is sold in a few parts of the world, with 2.0 and 2.5 liter I6 engines. They may have the quality control problems improved since the cars would not be marketable as they were. Our Verona now has 43,000 miles on it and is running fine. The radio quit one day and the dealer reset the radio by putting in numbers from the owner's card that came with the car. The engine is OK and remains smooth. I have used Mobil 1 oil from the beginning and sometimes wonder if a few of the many different reported engine problems relate to the factory-installed oil?

The discussion of oil weights seems unimportant. The viscosity difference between 5W-20 and 10W-30 is less than the viscosity differences caused by a few degrees of temperature difference. Engines in general are not critically dependent on precision of viscosity index, as shown by the many millions of cars running successfully on every conceivable oil that consumers dump into them. The real problem was quality control at Daewoo. The auto industry move to lower viscosity oils is primarily driven by fuel economy considerations, not engine life issues.
  • Options
    veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    After 46 months and 26025 miles the check engine light came on my 04 Verona EX. I had noticed there was a bit rough idle on startup. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and have them run the diagnostic test on it. I have a service agreement on it for the Chrysler/Suzuki dealer I bought it from, but I have moved to a different state and city. The Suzuki dealer does not honor the service agreement, so I will have to take it to a Chrysler dealer. Other than the throttle body being replaced and a few up dates and reboots to the computer, I have not had problems.
    I checked the gas tank cap and it is tight. (Read that on this board) Will post how it goes later.
    Ken04
    AKA Veronaowner
  • Options
    Went to Birmingham Suzuki this AM and by the time they got my Verona in the shop the check engine light was out. The computer was connected to the car and there was nothing in the history either. Great service from them and there was no charge for the diagnostic service.
    Hope the check engine light stays out.
    Ken04
    AKA Veronaowner
  • Options
    cmac3621cmac3621 Member Posts: 1
    So I bought an 05 Verona about a year ago. It had 13,000 miles on it and it is now at 23,000. I take good care of it. regular maintenance and what not. Well a couple months ago I started the car and got a few blocks and I went to hit the gas but the car didnt move. It kind of paused for a couple seconds and finally got going. The check engine light started blinking and stayed on for a couple days. I took it in and they said it had some misfire codes, changed some sensors, oil change and sent me on my way. Well about two weeks ago it did the same thing twice within a week. I took it in again but this time they started questioning what gas I used. I told them mid-grade, no additives. They said they couldnt find anything wrong with it but they think I might have an "alcohol buildup" in the engine and suggested an engine cleaning ($250). I personally have never heard of an "alcohol buildup" or using to high of an octane gas. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it?
  • Options
    cmac3621--Basically the "alcohol buildup" is a bunch of hooey and they're ripping you off. However, that is not the scary part--your service department nor American Suzuki Motors Corporation don't have a clue about what's causing it. If you have some time on your hands, page backwards through this forum and you'll pretty much see that the latter half of this forum is about that very same problem (easier yet, type "Verona" and "stalling" in the Search Forums" option to your left. I'm sure I and countless others can tell you what to expect next when things get worse along with some tips to get you through it. Holla if you need us. Good luck!

PS--Suzuki bought my '05 Verona back, I'm turning it in tomorrow and this took all of 60 days. Will update with details later.
  • Options
    Why not contact Suzuki Customer Service 1-800-943-0934 and ask them about "alcohol buildup". Maybe they can tell you if the engine cleaning is a valid maintenance action that would correct a problem such as you describe.
    Veronaowner
  • Options
    After 13 months of engine stalling, 13 service visits, 13 free loaners, 2 weeks of taking half-days away from work and 60 days of claiming lemon law, I am happy to say that Suzuki bought my Verona back and paid me all of my payments back (and the lawyer fees to boot). Three days ago I picked up my new Toyota Solara Sport Coupe before I even received the check. I only seen women drive Solaras and they're hints of it becoming discontinued but I don't care--I love it. Took a look at any recalls and the Solara doesn't have a one, not even for a loose radio knob. I also took a look at Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc. etc. because I didn't do that on my Verona until AFTER I bought it.

The final two weeks before the Verona was bought back was rough, though; it was pretty much choking just to go a few feet. I pretty much garaged it until it was time to go bye-bye. (Plus, I didn't want to risk it stalling itself into an accident and then leaving me to pay higher insurance premiums while I'm in a hospital bed sucking my meals through a straw!)

Overall, my experience with going the Lemon Law route was pretty quick and all the lawyer did was send a nice letter on his company stationary before Suzuki settled. However, this little experience hasn't made me a fan yet of lawsuits, I just felt I got lucky.
  • Options
    Hey Bob, exactly how much did you pay for your Verona, how long did you own it and how much did Susuki pay you for it?
  • Options
    I paid ~$15,500 and only had it a year. I received all my payments back that I made down to the penny. I didn't have to worry about paying the lawyer, my State's Lemon Law has stipulations involving the auto manufacturer to pay all lawyer fees if I win already written in the statute. I had friends and family telling me to go for "pain and suffering" add-on's but I didn't want any delays. I laid out everything simple for the lawyer to understand what I wanted from the deal--return all the payments I have made, completely pay off my loan and expedite it quickly. And that's exactly what they did. Actually it happened sooner than expected, I was still researching what car to buy next when I got a call to drop off the car so I could receive a check the next week. Luckily it all worked out well for me. Believe me, the stress that Verona gave me is all gone now. :)
  • Options
    gettingornerygettingornery Member Posts: 5
    My '04 Verona has been in the shop most of the summer. I've gotten a new transmission and head gaskets and O2 sensors. And according to the dealer, I'm the only one to ever have my ABS module replaced. I feel so special!

The check engine light does not come on anymore since the dealership reset it after the transmission fault, which is why they can't diagnose my problem and fix the dang car once and for all. At least when the engine light came on, the car would ride smoothly again! Anyway, I called Suzuki in California this morning, and a case has been opened. Can anybody tell me what, if anything, I can expect from that, please?

I see a lot of postings about the engine stall issue. That's me. I push on the gas and it stalls initially from a dead stop and then sputters and lurches at any speed thereafter. I got a new transmission after it stalled going up a hill on the interstate, and I dropped from 75 to 40 mph in about two seconds -- much to the surprise of me AND the semi driver riding my bumper. I got new gaskets about a week after the new transmission because that's how long it took for the problem to reoccur.

It's an intermittent problem; and, of course, when it happens I'm never near the dealership or they're closed. And without the check engine light, all they do is scratch their heads and look dumbfounded. The new transmission and gaskets were only guesses, y'know. The Suzuki rep told the dealer to put them on.

Only one time was the dealership able to get it to stall. I got new oxygen sensors as a result, even though the engine light never came on. I drove it four days, and now it's baaack!!!

I don't know if it's because I'm a woman or what, but why won't they listen to me that it seems like a fuel mix issue, like fuel injectors, perhaps? But I'm told fuel injectors wouldn't be intermittent. Well, if it's not the engine, transmission, or oxygen sensors, what's next on the replacement list???

Has anybody here ever had the engine stall problem fixed; and, if so, what was the problem with the car?

Thanks much!

Oh! And the web address for the nthsa won't load for me. I'd be happy to add my complaint to the list. Could someone please provide me with the correct URL?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    the whole car in general. pretty on the outside, rotten on the inside. I wish i could of atleast kept the shell of my verona and just slap in another brand of motor. i really did like my car. now i been looking to buy one where they sale salvaged cars. lol just to atleast sit in it and hear the stereo and look good in my drive way.lol
  • Options
    The web address I have for NHTSA is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.

Suzuki has NO CLUE what is causing the problem and dealerships are waiting for an answer from them also. I previously thought I was a Verona savior when I wrote on this forum about the header being machined wrong [see posting #1648], but after a buttload of Suzuki parts and money were spent the car returned to it's sputtering self in 6 days.

Presently, I think you're officially at that point where you realize that Suzuki rather shell out thousands in warranty bills and rental cars than buy back your car. Just remember, communications with Suzuki come to a grinding halt if you even mention the word "lawyer", so make sure you have one if you take the litigation route.
  • Options
    pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know where I can get a battery? My battery is about dead and I checked the local stores inventory online and none say they have one to fit the Verona. The dealership wants $120!!??!! to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • Options
    Check at your local NAPA Parts store.
    The store here in Alabama stated they
    had a replacement that would fit.
    Don't know the cost.
    Ken (Veronaowner)
  • Options
    Yes NAPA has a battery but said I need to lower the riser. I only assume that means the tray and I don't want to get into messing with that.

Did you have to do it? Otherwise I am heading to the dealership in the morning.
  • Options
    No, I purchased a battery for my Verona at the dealer in Birmingham. It was about $96.00 I think. It has the Suzuki name on it.
    Ken ( Veronaowner)
  • Options
    Did you have them install it? THey are charging me $120, I assume that's installation since that was what it would have cost me to have them do it while the car was there last week.
  • Options
    gettingornery....regarding your ABS module, I assume you are speaking of the brains and not just a sensor in one of the wheels. How much did it cost or were you lucky enough to have them fix it under warranty? My ABS light came on one day and stayed on. I took it to the dealer and they said I had a problem with the sensor in the right front wheel but that everything was working ok. The sensor is part of the wheel assembly and the whole thing needs to be replaced at the cost of $400. I fugured that if everything was working, I could live with the light being on. Shortly thereafter, my brakes started pulsating as if the ABS was activating every time I used the brakes. Before I had a chance to take it to the dealer, I was driving in the mountains one day and came around a corner and was confronted with a deer standing in the roadway. I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the deer. My ABS light went out and the pulsating disappeared. Everything has been normal and this happened several months ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I installed it. Takes only a minute or two.
    You will need a card that came with the car that has a radio code on it - 4 numbers - to get the radio to work after the battery has been disconnected, or I had to do that. Turn the radio on and then punch the numbers in from the keyboard of the radio.
    Hope all works out for you.
    Ken
  • Options
    mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Strange but true: nearly every time I hit a bump in the road, the radio begins to scan the entire dial and locks up; cannot change stations or even turn off. Then of course, the steering wheel controls don't do much of anything anymore: volume up mutes the radio, mode turns it off instead of selecting bands; seek changes bands acting like mode. Anyone else having these problems? I know that the steering wheel controls have issues (poor grounding), but this random scanning thing is annoying. I think it has to do with the up / down toggle on the front panel...very loose to touch. But other than this minor annoyance, mechanically the verona has yet to let me down, at close to 37K miles. Not sure when the hammer is going to drop.
  • Options
    poulsbokidpoulsbokid Member Posts: 13
    when I bought the car the cd eject button did not work they replaced the entire radio. I do hate where the controls are on the whell every time I make a turn I end up turning off the radio.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay getting back, evergreen

Nope, it was the entire module, brain, motherboard, whatever it is. The light came on one night, never went off again. Took over six months -- the length of an entire Wisconsin winter -- to find a new module to put in the car. New brain, no problems with that.

Oh, and the Suzuki district manager said I needed a new fuel filter. I've gotten a new transmission, catalytic converters, sensors, pistons -- everything but the engine block and fuel injectors -- and the Suzuki district manager said I needed a fuel filter. Can you believe that!?! Dealership installed a new fuel pump, for good measure, and I didn't even get home before the sputtering resumed.

Nobody's ever had this issue resolved??????????
  • Options
    momj40momj40 Member Posts: 1
    We are taking our Verona to the dealer tomorrow for the same problem. We've had many "needed" parts installed and the problem is the same - last was a 750 dollar tune-up with special plugs, hah. We also notice an unburned fuel smell when idling. There is a recall on the Verona for fuel system gasoline delivery that fits our problem, but when we called Suzuki, our VIN number is not one of the vehicles with the problem, huh???? We also have an ABS light on all the time and replaced brakes, etc. No change. I'll let you know how we make out, we may trade it in and take a loss if it doesn't get fixed.
  • Options
    Good luck to you!

Since I put up that original post, I've gotten a new fuel filter and fuel pump; drove it for a week; took it back; and just picked it up again today, having gotten a new throttle body. The Suzuki DSM actually came and spent a day at the dealership with my car. The dealership was told to install a new fuel filter. I laughed when they called to tell me. With all the expensive parts put on this car thus far, wouldn't fuel filter be something they'd check first?

The dealership is trying everything they can. I don't fault my dealer at all. It's warranty work, and they have to do as Suzuki instructs.

But on the bright side ... I've driven so many different loaner vehicles, I know what other cars I'm not gonna buy in the future, too! And ... if I keep driving loaners for weeks at a time, it's going to take that much longer for my Verona to hit the magic 100k end-of-warranty mark.

Thanks for letting me know about the recall. I'll call Suzuki tomorrow and see if my VIN's on the list.
  • Options
    fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    It's too bad GM and Suzuki messed up a pretty good car.If they had just left the Aisin tranny that was in the Leganza in the car.I had a Daewoo and any problems I had with it were dealer caused.Lack of competence at the dealer seems to have followed to Suzuki.
    I don't know why the dealerships are not able to service these cars.Lack of interest due to low sales maybe.The 6 cyl engine in the Verona is a mystery as well as the tranny to service techs.I think if you can find a good independent shop you will be better off.
    I thought the warranty would save Verona owners the cash outlays Daewoo owners went thru-seems I was wrong.You will find some answers to your non engine related problems in the Daewoo Leganza forum-as it is the same car.
    GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    I agree it is too bad that this pretty good car has had so many problems. It is hard to remember all its great qualities when it is sitting in the shop being repaired. I have had a new head, two new engines and some bearing in the transaxle replaced. The good new is that, except for the bearing, I wasn't even aware there was anything wrong under the hood until the dealer discovered problems. The car has never missed a beat and runs as smooth and quiet today as it did when it was new. None of this has cost me a penney and I doubt if I had taken the vehicle to an independent shop for service that they would have even realized there was a problem. In fact I doubt that many independent shops have ever worked on a Verona. I also would be concerned about wether an independent shop could handle all this warranty stuff very efficiently, and also about the free rental car while the vehicle is in the shop. I would agree that there are probably a lot of incompetent Verona mechanics at the various dealers around the country and that's unfortunate. I've been lucky, I guess, but even if I had an incompetent local dealer I would really hesitate taking the Verona to an independent shop for warranty work.
  • Options
    I agree as far as the warranty work is concerned.What I was saying applied to non warranty work.In my case the problems begin with taking my car to the dealer while it was under warranty.For over 2 years they tried to fix my speedometer.The car was kept for periods up to 5 vweeks.The excuse was waiting for parts.After replacing speedometer head,speed sensor,engine computer etc the problem was finally solved-bent pin on speedometer sensor.
    The dealer said I needed a new harness that would take weeks to get.I found the harness end on ebay -$10.00.I took it to the dealer-a day later they said it was fixed.When I arrived they gave me a bill for $550.00.The service manager told me DAEWOO no longer would pay for warranty work-a lie.GM set up a company just for this purpose.
    Sounds like you have found an honest dealership.I found that for routine service a good shop can work on any car.The non engine parts are available on ebay.Things like plugs,oil filters,plug wires etc are probably available at any parts store.The mix up over what weight oil should be used just illustrates the lack of communication between the dealerships and the factory-typical.
    The other areas of potential problems with these DAEWOOS are-window motors,peeling door handle trim,dashpad coming unglued,rotors warping-not big deals and may not apply to Verona.
  • Options
    nance999nance999 Member Posts: 2
    Would you buy an 06 of any model?
  • Options
    I love my Verona for many reasons but would have to give a lot of thought before buying another one. I have the EX and I don't think there is any difference between models so far as repair problems are concerned. They all have the same engine, transmission, etc. Even though there isn't much real difference between my 04 and an 06, I would hope they figured out solutions to some of the problems earlier owners have experienced. If not, there is always the 7 year warranty to consider in case you have problems, which I suspect you will. You might consider an 06 if;
    1. you have a reliable and honest dealer nearby to make any warranty repairs
    2. you can get a very good price. I have been amazed what Hertz has been getting for their Veronas and I wouldn't pay anywhere near what some folks are asking.

That's my two bits worth.
  • Options
    I agree a Verona -it's a risky deal.The inline 6 and the transmission seem to be "quirky"at best.On the other hand a good deal on a Forenza might be a good bet.It is basically a Daewoo Nubria.But with a 7 yr warranty and easier parts availability.The key is a good dealership and a good price.
  • Options
    efitzgeraldefitzgerald Member Posts: 62
    Is there any suzuki swift owners out there? Happy with your purchase? problems? mileage? customer service concerns...... Thanks,
  • Options
    vultu69vultu69 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there.
    Did you ever find out why your abs light was coming on? Mine has started coming on while I drive. Odd thing is that it is while I am crusing on the highway and havent used my brakes for a long time. When I stop the car and restart, the light is on at initial startup and then goes off like it is designed to. I am just concerned that this might mean my abs are actually not working which could be bad this time of year. Or is this probably just a sensor that is dirty or a bad fuse for the light?
  • Options
    In my situation, the ABS light came on when I started the car and it never went off. The dealer said there was a problem with the sensor or a connection in the right front wheel. Since the sensor is apparently part of the hub, or something, the whole hub had to be replaced at a cost of $400 as I recall. The dealer said everything worked properly so not to worry. Weeks later when I made an emergency stop to avoid hitting a deer, the light went off and evrything has been fine since then. Go slam on your brakes and see what happens. It just might be a cheap fix.
  • Options
    Hi.

My ABS module was shot. They had to replace the "brains" of the ABS. The light came on in September, and it took almost six months to get a replacement part. I drove almost all winter -- in Wisconsin!! -- without ABS.

By the way, my car is running okay now. It idles a little rough, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my days of lull-n-jerk are over. I'll know for sure next June when we once again welcome heat and humidity to the region.

So for those of you who've had as much replaced as I have -- head gaskets, transmission, sensors, fuel pump, catalytic converters, etc. -- you might suggest the dealer replace the throttle body. That's the last repair I had, and it's been okay ever since, but for the slightly rough idle ...
  • Options
    jrod9707jrod9707 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys I was just skipping around the forums and noticed that the Verona has this stalling problem. I just sold my 2000 Daewoo Leganza to my neighbor and for the last 3 years once I fire up the car go in reverse then switch to Drive it sputters as if fuel is not getting to the engine for 2-3 seconds and then it gets its power and vvvvvvvroom! goos 2 go for the rest of the day. There is still some extended warranty on the car and since this sounds like a design flaw from the daewoo to the suzuki I was hoping someone could give me some quick insight to this phenomina.Changed fuel filter never helped and my next guess was a bad fuel pump(or connection to pump) or a throttle body problem.
  • Options
    petergr8petergr8 Member Posts: 1
    Your stalling problem is not something changing gas is going to fix. I just got my 2004 Verona back two days ago from the dealer where it has been for over a month. At 36,700 miles Suzuki replaced the engine and a whole lot of other parts. The repair cost was $12,485.62 in parts and labor all of which was covered by Suzuki. But to answer your question a Suzuki rep told me that the reason for the problem was that this engine was designed to run on pure gas and not gas with a percentage of Ethanol as here in the states. What is happening is the plugs and valves are getting loaded up with carbon and when the build up is large enough the stalling begins. The dealers can do a chemical cleaning of the valves by running in a fluid to clean them but it is a 12 hour process from what Suzuki told me. You wonder why they no longer sell them. This Suzuki rep also told me that the same engine design is used in the Forenza which is still being sold and the dealer told my wife when she picked up the car two days ago that they are already seeing 2008 Forenzas with the problem. Best of all even with my new engine I can look forward to the problem returning once I get some mileage on the car - can you say trade in?
  • Options
    My 04 Verona has an engine with less than 10k miles. It runs great except that lately it seems to be slow in starting. It used to start immediately but now it cranks for a bit before starting. It is probably a little worse when it is cold but it is only slightly less of an issue when it is warm. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Options
    I don't know about the 6 cyl Verona engine ,but the 4 cyl Forenza engine is a Holden design that was in the Daewoos.I had a Leganza and burned 10 % ethanol witn no problems,The only rough running issues I experienced was due to a bad coil pack.The biggest problem I had was dealer incompetence.Looks like Suzuki is doing a rerun of this.
    The six cylinder Verona engine seems to have tuning issues that Suzuki can't or won't resolve.I've seen numerous posts about reflashing the computer for both the engine and the transmission.I would think that in 3 years they would have figured that out.
    The good news is the warranty-if you can wear them out they just might fix the car or you can lemon law.It's a shame how Suzuki has botched this.I've heard GM kind of pushed the Daewoo product line on Suzuki,BUT that is no excuse -they put the big S on the car and sold them.
  • Options
    jrod9707jrod9707 Member Posts: 7
    I don't know what Suzuki did to screw this car up but my daewoo was the best car we've ever owned.In 65k we only had to replace the camshaft positioning sensor ($120) no big deal. Must be that they couldn't design a good 6 cyl.
  • Options
    The camshaft sensor was free fix from DAEWOO.You may be able to get your money back-check with a warranty dealer.You are right about the car-ours was great.An incompetent dealer just made me crazy.
  • Options
    clc6ccclc6cc Member Posts: 1
    re:Sensor. :ChucK. My 1999 Leganza sensor was replace two weeks ago.'I took it to chevy dealer to have it fix they told me to check with daewoo america to see if it was recall for camshaft sensor 'Thay told me that only(2000 & 2002) was recall.'So it cost me about three hundred dollars and i just order a new exhaust from the front to the back brand new off the internet stock daewoo parts. total price was ($293.95) and about two fifty for labor.'The car only has 17,000 on the new motor the one that came in the car was tosted after 55.000 and i still love my Leganza this is my second one.
  • Options
    now exceeds 46,000. It is difficult to come to an overall impression of the car. Objectively, it has been highly reliable. One engine computer update and one radio fix from the dealer, both free. On the other side, the engine is noisier now than my old Chevy Caprice was at 133,000 miles. The engine is exceptionally smooth at high RPM, yet idles with a bit of vibration--there since new. I like driving the car because it corners well yet absorbs big road shocks very well. The short turn radius makes parking easy. The air conditioner works well in the hottest summer I've encountered and the heating system comes on fast in winter. The transmission is unfortunate in its gear ratio selection and in its erratic response to acceleration at low speeds. But, it has been failure free. I suppose I am keeping the car because each day it competently takes me on my travels with little fuss. Not a strong endorsement perhaps, but sufficient to hang onto it for the time being.

The legroom is impressive for a car this size, particularly when contrasted with a similar sized BMW.

The same basic car, with styling updates and a five speed automatic is now being sold in Australia to poor reviews. Since I've not read of reliability woes, perhaps the quality issues discussed on this forum have been corrected. I would not buy the Australian model if sold here, but would consider a new generation car of the same size with the same concept of a cross-wise positioned inline six cylinder engine. A small turbo and variable valve timing could make the engine world class.
  • Options
    mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    It's been a while since I posted here but I wanted to add to what marvinlee stated. My EX just passed 40K miles, and here's the point to be made, 40K totally trouble free miles. Only oil changes at regular intervals and I performed everyone myself. I did the radio fix myself...broken tuning button...by lifting off the faceplate. ECM was upgraded early on as part of the Suzuki factory update. Would you believe I'm still enjoying original tires and original brake pads... to me that speaks volumes about the quality and reliability of this car. Unfortunately, I had several windshields replaced, thanks to stone damage compliments of NY highways. Engine still remarkably smooth and mostly quiet at all rpms, but I do have that little transmission kick at a rolling 20 mph upon acceleration. And yes, the turning radius is amazing; I can do u-turns on the narrowest of roads! Besides the excellent HVAC system, the heated seats are a true blessing during northeast winters.

Say what you will, but this automobile delivers as a daily driver in every aspect imaginable, and asks for very little in return. :D
  • Options
    This is the link to the 2008 Australian Holden Epica. Despite the different name, it is the South Korean built Daewoo that was relabeled as a Suzuki Verona for the USA and as the Chevrolet Epica for Canada. The new version has modified styling on the same body structure, a five speed automatic, newer electronics, and slightly different trim and accessory packages. Fuel economy is now better, the engine runs slower on the highway, but power is no better.

General Motors made a serious initial mistake in not making sure that Daewoo (GM owned) achieved high initial quality. Had it done so, I believe that the car would still be sold here in respectable numbers. The basic engine design is similar to the much more costly Volvo six cylinder S80 but in a smaller and more affordable car.