Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

1303132333436»

Comments

• junkverona05junkverona05 Member Posts: 1
    I brought my Verona 05 brand new and I had nothing but problems. My engine light is on and it flashes indictating there is a misfire. The last thing I changed was the wiring harnest and the fuel filter and then it became worst the calatyst conventer started to turn orange and was shaking really bad and it would turn off. I do not want to take it to the same dealer I brought the car from they will try to rip me off. I'm so dissapointed with the Verona I will never buy in a Suzuki again. I am going to take it to a different Suzuki dealer mabye I'll be lucky and actually get treated with respect and honesty. No wonder why the automobile corporations lost such much money because instead of being honest most dealers are always trying to take advantage of hard working people.
  • esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    I did just that when I had my Verona. In my case I was told to take my car to Mitsubishi dealer to have fixed. Turned out people from Suzuki and Mitsubishi dealers were related. Any how I was tired of the bull, I was getting. So I took to Suzuki dealer. Absolutely nothing was done. I was pissed. All this person did was refered me back to Mitsubishi dealer. He said by the time I drove there he would have talked to, at this point I didnt care to hear anymore. I went home. Good Luck I hope you have a better experience, than I did. Before I got my Suzuki. I had bought a used car from Golden State Motors right. I had problems w/them vowed I will never ever deal w/them again. Well I ended up buying my 04 Verona from a Mazda dealer. Not long after I had problems w/Verona. Under the warranty I was told to take to Suzuki. Well Golden State Motors was Golden State Suzuki. Years later turns out the same people I dealt with, had given me problems, were still there. Make a long story short. I filed a Lemon Law Claim, and Suzuki bought car back. I was like glad I dont have to deal with them people again. Yeah right, I ended up going to another place, thats where I got my 04 Linc LS, Auto Shopper. Well the name on the contract was yes you guessed it. Golden State Suzuki. I swear, just my luck. Again more trouble. It turns out these people were connected one way shape or form. I really loved my verona when I had it. But it wasnt worth all the problems I had. So I ended up getting Lincoln LS. Which cost double the price. Well good luck. :confuse:
  • selecteurocarsselecteurocars Member Posts: 1
    Was a true solution ever found for your Suzuki Verona intermittent Hard Brake Pedal? Thanks!
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    After six years with my Verona, I am buying a new car, and it is time for a Verona recap. I liked the car when I bought it and still do. The styling has held up, for me at least, better than its other 2004 competitors. After 62,000 miles, the engine remains silky smooth on acceleration and high speed. Cornering is great for this non-racer, and the leather remains flawless. Fuel economy was never great--about 19 in my mostly urban driving, but much better on the highway. Power remains unimpressive. Reliability was good until about 55,000 miles, after which repetitive check engine lights proved expensive and difficult to correct. As I write, the check engine light has again comes on during driving. Dealer service has been good, after the mediocre original dealer sold his business to a better dealer.

The new car I ordered, not a Suzuki, lacks the folding mirrors, excellent styling, and probably a few other features. In return, it is a fresh design with more headroom and should serve me well for several years. I will enjoy having local servicing unlike the Verona, which required an 80 mile round trip on each service visit.

The new car had to be factory ordered, so I will still be driving the Verona for a few months before putting it up for sale. The Verona stands out in my mind as a car that would have responded very well to better corporate management from General Motors. The current updated version sold overseas has six speed auto, better quality control, and freshened style. Too bad it never made it here. The transversely located six cylinder inline engine had excellent potential to carve out a market niche for itself, much as Porsche and Subaru have done with their boxer engines. My thanks to all the Verona owners who posted on this forum. I wish you the very best with your Veronas.
  • gaelyngaelyn Member Posts: 5
    I have an '05 Verona that I have had for 2 1/2 years and it has been a huge problem from the time I brought it home from CarMax (CarMax was frist mistake, Verona was 2nd!) Anyway, I have managed to have a pretty problem free last 20k miles - it now has 84k on it. About a week ago, I noticed a little noise from the engine area. I checked the oil and found it a little bit low. I was relieved until I noticed the sound getting a little louder. Now it is a lot louder. The frequency of the knocking sounds corresponds with the increase in acceleration. Does anyone have any ideas of what it might be before I go in to the dealership to have it checked out? Also, is this the kind of thing that I would need the Suzuki service people doing, or could it be done by any reliable mechanic? I am a single mom with about NO money, so any suggestions in how I can save a few dollars would be hugly appreciated!
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    gaelyn....I would immediately head for your nearest Suzuki dealer. The bad news is, you may need a new engine. The good new is, you are still protected by the 7 year drivetrain warranty and, if you need a new engine, it shouldn't cost you a penney. In fact, they should provide you with a rental car while they are fixing your car. It has happened to me twice with my 04 Verona and none of it has cost me a penney. If you take it to a non-Suzuki mechanic, it could cost you thousands of dollars. Good luck and keep us informed.
    OMG, thank you so much. You have given me so much hope! Now I can go to the dealership with less trepidation. I will definitely keep you posted! Thanks! Gaelyn
    It sucks to be me right now. I took my car to the Suzuki dealership. What I was told is that there is evidence of sludge (under fill cap, even though there was no evidence on the dip stick). I was told that even with maintenance records, I would have to pay $1800 for the tech to find out what the issue was and then there would be no guarantee that the problem would be covered under the warranty. Can't do it unfortunately. Don't have a spare $1800 lying around. The oil pressure check was good. I told the guy that the maintenance has been good and he said that it could have been the oil that had been used (paraffin based??) and it could have been a problem that was caused by the person who owned the car before I did. Whatever the cause, I think I am hosed.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I am no mechanic but it sounds like the dealer is the one doing the hosing. Charging $1800 to figure out some problem sounds like a real hose job to me. I don't know what to say except try to get a second opinion from another Suzuki dealer, if possible. If not, perhaps you know a reputable mechanic who could diagnose your problem for a very small fee. Think about it. Diagnosing a problem is just a matter of time and not parts. If they charge $100/hr for labor, they are saying it will take 18 hours to diagnose the problem. They could take the motor apart and rebuild it in 18 hours. Sound to me like they are just trying to rip you off.
    I totally agree. But I am a single (but definitely older) woman in the Las Vegas Valley and their scam alert probably sounds before I even get close to the service bay. I guess I can ask my co-workers if they know a reputable mechanic. I just read the post a couple of pages back that talked about how sludge can be present especially in winter months. Not only is it cold when I drive in the mornings, but all of my trips are very short. Five miles to work and back, at the most. I guess my fear is that even if I spend the money to have the problem diagnosed by someone else, will the Suzuki dealership honor the report when it comes to providing warranty work?

I am going to see if there are any other dealerships alive in Vegas.
  • mickeysgalmickeysgal Member Posts: 11
    Gaelyn......I am not sure if you can do this and I completely understand because for the first 13 years of my sons life I was a single mom. If you can, please I encourage you to trade that POS in. Yes your engine should be covered, but they find every reason not to stand behind their products. Our Verona still sits in the driveway, it will be two years in June, from us needing a new engine.
    In the long run it will be worth it. If you can't find anyone in vegas, please let me know and ill ask my cousins who live there if they know of anyone as well. Again I am very sorry about the car.
    Jennifer
    Thanks, Jennifer, for your encouragement. I would totally trade in that POS, but I am definitely not in the position to do so financially. I am pretty much in a Catch 22 right now. I know it would be way better to to have a different car, but I still owe a couple of years of payments on this one and it isn't worth anything. No car dealer in their right mind is going to sell me a car right now. Possibly in six months I will be in a better position. I am definitely going to change the oil several times in the next few months to see if It helps at all. I am probably just going to have to drive it until the engine just dies. :sick:
  • ravnscarfaceravnscarface Member Posts: 1
    theres a website i hink its suzukiparts.com try there
  • rich155rich155 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Reader's

I inherated a huge problem so I thought an 05 Verona. It had the bucking and Stalling and "transmission issues" (so I thought) and of course the clanking motor.

ALL SOLVED

A vacuum hose on the back side of the intake manifold gets too hot and decays and breaks.. Before it breaks it casues intermet vacuum leaks and POOOOOOR running stalling and bucking . I replaced the hose and it runs very good;

As for the Motor clanking I have just changed the oil 30 times in about a year (no filter) and that is in effect a motor over haul in a can of oil. Now that the motor is clean inside it runs perfect and is qiet and smooth. I can even drive it cold now with no issues.

I think I now have the Suzuki Verona they tried for and it is a hoot to drive and it is QUICK! I often get looks and gestures from other Verona owners suffering their fate. They just gasp at my oil change explanation but yet when they hear it idle and have to look to see the motor run it means something.

Good Luck to everyone..... By the Way the Oil Filter only gets the rocks the really fine dirt that messes with your motor is never touched with by the filter.

Rich
  • esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    Well good for you. At the time I had my verona, it still had warranty. So when anything came up, I'd take it in. Let them deal with it, while under warranty. It seemed like they didnt want to bother with it after taking it in so many times. I ended up filing for lemon law. Suzuki, didnt even bother challenging it. Once the warranty is over on any of my cars, thats when I take over and do whats got to be done. Now you mentioned 30 oil changes in one year. Well that would of been nice to know, when I had my 04 verona. I would of done something like that to my car. I remember a comment someone made one time when I took my car to the shop. She said no wonder I hardly see any veronas on the road they are all in here. Even to this day, I see one from time to time. I mean a good while. Well thanks for sharing that. I am not going to run out and by one. But if I see one for the price. :shades:
  • angela_tafoyaangela_tafoya Member Posts: 1
    I tried to start my Suzuki Forenza 2004 and was hard to start and when finally started the hold button light was on and blinked on the dash, I pressed the hold button to turn it off but didn't work, the hold light was still on in the dash I tried to drive the car and the car was running terrible and making noise, I drove like two blocks away from my house and I decide to park and turn the car off , I waited like 3 minutes and turn the car on again and finally the hold light shut off and the car went back to run normal. It will be nice, if someone would have a solution for this problem. Please help. Good luck Suzuki Forenza owners.
  • brandypupbrandypup Member Posts: 1
    Suzuki dealerships suck. One place told me he shouldn't even give me the keys back unless I removed the sludge from my car becuase it's bound to blow up. (the engine blew 5 years later becuase I ran with the oil pump light on) another place said its under recall, did the work and sent me on my way un fixed. the other place wouldn't even answer my questions on the phone about servie and parts because they said I would have to show you. HUH?
  • welingtonwelington Member Posts: 16
    hi suzuki verona owners i havent wrothe a post in a while about my 2004 verona im very happy with this car i brougt the car with 72,000 milleage four years ago now have 110,000 milleages i travel to work from brooklyn ny to inwood long island ny around 30 milleage a day was no problem into i decided to change the spark plugs when the mechanic pull out the old spark plugs one spark plug was wet with motor oil and he told me i nedd to buy the valve cover gasket and the intake gasket set cost me 57 dollars for both gasket and he char me 150,00 for labor cause was to much work he told me and it was a lot of work he have to take out the whole head of the engine to get to the problem and change the gasket and now the problem is solve i know the car have a tone of issues but we have to deal with it about the engine stalling and transmission shiffing inapropiate im used to that thankls verona owners good luck to all.
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    Just checking back to see how everyone is faring with their Veonas. My Sonata has been trouble free and it's now 4 years old. I did have to replace the battery this summer as it started leaking acid. Other than that no issues. No Stalling, check engine lights, clicking, rattling, etc. Like the Verona. I now have 40,000 miles on it. I traded the Verona when it had 38,000 miles on it. Wish things had been better with it, but I just couldn't go on any longer. Good luck to those still holding on!!!!
  • mikkat1960mikkat1960 Member Posts: 1
    NOt sure if you're still on here, you may have purchased a new car. But my boyfriend just bought a used 2005 Verona and is having the same issue with the car only taking 2 gallons at a time. Did you ever solve your issue? Has anyone else reading this had the same issue? If so, what was it and was it expensive to fix? Overall are you happy with the Verona or was it a nightmare. He just bought this and we are not concerned that maybe it wasn't such a good car?
  • rj027rj027 Member Posts: 1
    I'd just like to let you know that the Verona was a rebadged Daewoo, and not actually a Suzuki at all. So, you might be safe buying a Suzuki in the future; I'd just make sure it isn't a model that's really a Daewoo.
  • barrandraybarrandray Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2005 Suzuki Verona new out of the showroom. My gas tank is having the same problem but it only started about a year ago. It takes a long time to fill the tank. Did you find the solution? There should have been a recall to this.
    Other than this the car has been great. A sensor or two had to be replaced and the rear boot keeps going bad, had that replaced. I love the car and for 16k it had all the comforts and bells and whistles any 25k car would have. It has 95k miles and is in good shape.
  • 3285032850 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Verona with the same problem. The vapor canister is mounted behind the right rear tire. If it goes bad, you will have problems fueling. I pulled mine down and ran a long screwdriver into the openings to break up the carbon filtering agent. there is also a vent valve mounted on the canister that is electrically controlled. This can cause fueling problems also. Good luck.
  • jeremyssjeremyss Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a sazuki verona 2004 n i was wondering what is the code to the cd player its numbers 1-6 n i bought it but dont have the code i bought it off a car lot
  • vinays84vinays84 Member Posts: 1
    Hello rich155,

After replacing the vacuum hose have you ever had the jerking or stalling problem?

Also where did you replace the vacuum hose; At a Suzuki Dealer or a Local Mechanic?
    How many miles do you have on your car?

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks,

Vinay
  • jdbncjdbnc Member Posts: 3
    Mine had the same problem with slow-filling of gas. I took the canister behind the rear tire loose and used compressed air to blow into the vent hose (the larger of the hoses) and it solved my problem. I also had a check engine light on that also went out as a result.
    It gets very hot under that engine cover. You can remove the cover and replace the vaccuum hoses yourself. That solved all of my chugging problems.
    Evergreen, I had the very same problem. I replaced several dried, cracked vaccuum hoses under the engine cover along with new spark plugs and my problems were solved.
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Oh where to begin. 05 Verona, purchased new off the show room floor in 06. However, 35,5++ miles and 6 years later:

Constant airbag light on (after being charged $85 for the hook up, the light comes back on after a couple of days---tired of messing with it);

Ticking motor when starting at least 50% of the time. Oil sending unit not working right? My 04 Verona did the same thing. Dealer said nothing wrong.

Wrong transmission gearing? (the most likely culprit for the 13mpg city);

Intermittent electrical issues (including non-functioning daytime running lamps, stereo, stereo controls on steering wheel, clock, passenger airbag light (not coming on when no passenger present);

And, oh yeah, a freakin' 13MPG in the city!! :mad:

I am now out of warranty. Suzuki charged me $85 while under warranty for "fixing" the airbag light issue. I called the dealership and complained. No satisfaction. I called Suzuki customer service. Again, no satisfaction. Two days after they "reset the codes" to turn the light off, the airbag light comes on again, intermittently. Three days after that started, it came back on and stayed on. It currently blazes away when I drive it.

I've looked at the Mustang, Corvette, and Challenger. All get better city mileage than I do, and with V-8's to boot. The next stop on this Verona tour will take us to the Dodge dealer for a new Dodge Dart Rallye. Never again. :mad:
  • chachi408chachi408 Member Posts: 3
    I just recently bought my Suzuki and read in the manual that i can drive my car like if it was a manual transmission I've been doing that for the past week. I'm not sure if that's bad or not cause it says i can.
    I just recently bought my Suzuki and read in the manual that i can drive my car like if it was a manual transmission I've been doing that for the past week. I'm not sure if that's bad or not cause it says i can. I need someone to help me out on how to use it right .
    I just recently bought my Suzuki and read in the manual that i can drive my car like if it was a manual transmission I've been doing that for the past week. I'm not sure if that's bad or not cause it says i can. I need someone to help me out on how to use it right .
  • maest24maest24 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Rich,

I would like to know if this completely fixed your issue?

I bought a 05 Verona and I did not check out the car completely before I bought it. Major mistake.

I have several issues with the car.

1) Clock on dash comes off and on.

2) Daytime running lights cut off and on on occasion.

3) It idles Hard. Sometimes It shuts off. Even when in park the rpms spike and drop below 1 or even half.

4) I have gotten codes saying my car is running rich and lean. The codes contradict themselves.

I have replaces the fuel filter. Transmission range switch. Brand new Alternator. Radiator flush. Tune up.

I'm still having the idling hard issue. How can I get this resolved? Has anyone fixed this issue? My car will not pass inspection. Please HELP
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    The Suzuki car line and the Suzuki Verona are both gone. I liked my Verona very much and had few of the problems that others have had. The engine was the most silky-smooth six I ever owned, including a Dodge Dart and the famed American Motors cast iron 4.2 liter inline six.

GM continued selling the car in Australia for a time, with a far superior six-speed automatic transmission. It, too, is now gone.

The Verona had great potential that GM never fully developed. With variable camshaft timing and direct fuel injection, plus the six-speed auto, it could have been one of the best 2.5 liter cars on the market. Quality control was poor, and directly attributable to insufficient GM management of the South Korean Daewoo company.
  • veronadriver1veronadriver1 Member Posts: 3
    I would check all fuses related to those issues. I had so many problems with my Verona and it was blowing fuses constantly. I was blowing my fuel fuse all the time and I bent the prongs a little and shoved it in with one prong in the slot and the other on the outside but still contacting the metal slot. I know this sounds stupid, I have a ton of friends that are mechanics and they were saying what everybody else said. But I have had this car since 2006 and I haven't had any problems since I did this little fix.
  • willyflash06willyflash06 Member Posts: 1
    please help check engine ligth is on and the codes are p0171 and p0174 can someone have this problem and geit fix this car is breaking my pockets mechanics make me change many parts like oxigen senor pcv valve fuel pump fuel filter check intake for air leak, throtte body. when im driving the rpm iddle drop down and sometimes the car shut off. wow i dont understand why is very difficult for every mechanic to solve a problem in this car, like they are not familiar with this car is a daewoo with a suzuki name maybe in korea were they make this car mechanics fix it rigth away but not in usa please help.