Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - III

Comments

• rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    While I do like Crutchfield and have bought numerous things from them through the years, their info on factory speakers is outdated by about 20 years on domestic radios and about 5 on Japanese makes. Have you ever seen the factory speakers on a Chevy? I haven't seen the Silverado, but my '91 S-10 had speakers with large magnets and better construction than the Kenwoods (I forget the model number but they cost about $70 back in 1992) I had bought to replace them (4x10 rears). The Kenwoods also didn't sound nearly as good, so I sent them back.

As for life span, the factory speakers are still going strong on that S-10 (sold last March). The factory unit back then was 40 watts per channel RMS. I have never had factory speakers (with factory or modest power aftermarket radio) go bad, even those that are installed in the dash. I HAVE had aftermarket speakers go bad in as little as 5 years due to the sun's effects (another reason I won't buy Kenwood now).

I'm not saying that the Silverado has the best speakers (it would seem the front 6-1/2 inch woofer should reproduce bass much better than it does), but in the LS and LT they are definitely not the worst. Chevy hasn't used a "cheap paper cone" in 2 decades on their better radios as far as I have seen. The reason I have not replaced the 4x6s yet is that I haven't found any for less than $100 locally that sound even as clear as the factory ones.

And if you have ever listened to an upper-level Chrysler radio with seperate amp and Infinity speakers, you know Crutchfield is stretching things quite a bit when it says that all factory systems suck.

>which Blaupunkt do you have<

Aspen CM147. 4x35 watts Peak, 4x13.5 watts RMS at less than 1% THD. No seperate amp except for the subwoofer. Some day I will upgrade the front speakers in that '67 Camaro. Right now I have two 3-1/2 inch full-range cheapos in place of the factory center-of-dash mono 6x9. I think the kick panels will accept a thin 4x6. Do that and add a tweeter and I'll be set.

I'm writing too much and I'm tired. Got to rest up for tomorrow's surf ... or lack of it.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    You'll have to call (or drive) around. Bazooka released a new series, which now has 100 watts (compared with my 80), their lower line now has 50 (as opposed to 30). crutchfield had a good price primarily because mine was being discontinued at the time. They do have open-box items and returns sometimes so you might get a good price that way. Otherwise, look for a good local shop ... often they beat the chains by a longshot.

If you want to hear it before you buy, let me know.

Richard
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I've had my 2000 LS for about a week now. I have about 250 miles, and have noticed only 1 minor, minor initial quality problem, and nothing bad about the engine/drivetrain/handling/noises.

The only problem was a scratch in the plastic radioface (time/frequency). I thought it was some glue and tried to pick it off with my fingernail, and that just scratched it up more. I will see if the dealer will replace it.

After 500 miles I'll get up to 65mph and see if there are any problems. Absolutely beautiful at 55 mph and under.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    here's that pic I told ya about.

I took one in the Morning with the sun in my eyes..and it turned out too dark. Took another that evening...sun was reflecting off the window. It's hard to see the color on the side...but you get the idea. Damn nice combo.
    If an LT is available in 2-tone next time...perhaps I'd get this?...or Carmine with Gold. This is a 3/4 I believe.
    This is from my truck...I didn't get out and go around to the front...a guy was already coming over to ask if I need help!

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/Indigo1.jpg

- Tim
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Anyone know if the battery ground on a 2000 Silverado 1/2 ton LS is positive or negative?
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    There hasn't been a positive ground car made in America for at least 50 years. The answer is negative.
    Sorry the truck is white with graphite cloth 40/20/40 interior. Nice truck though, most options. 2500, reg cab, lb, 4wd, 3.73, autotrack (I think), tow package, firm ride, 5th wheel wiring, alum wheels, locker. I took it on the freeway and no vibration.
    Thanks for the note Mark. I have a 3/4 ton with a camper sometimes so the larger diameter bar is probably good. The mounting system obviously sucks but I assume the bar is okay. Hellwig has been doing this for quite a while. I e-mailed them with my concerns and this is their response.

Just to let you know we are currently looking into the problems with that kit
    and are working on a solution.
    Please call Robert Sayre in our Tech. and R & D department for any further questions
    you may have.
    Hellwig Products Co. Inc.
    Customer Service Dept.

I'll be talking to them and will post the result.
    Vince
    Tim, that is a nice clear shot even if a bad angle. I notice that truck has the infamous camper mirrors you love soo much. LONG LIVE CAMPER MIRRORS!!
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info on the battery ground. As you can tell - I know nothing about the mechanical end of the truck. I do appreciate the info!
    Cropping that out...hehehehee

For some reason those don't really look like the camper ones at that angle......must be because they are closed?

Sorry Hoss...i just don't like them...especially open...but we have already had this discussion.

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I have a question did anyone get the P265 tires and if so what kind did it come with? Good yr at/s? I really want the good yr at/s i seen one yesterday with them but have also seen trucks with firestone (yuck).
    I was also wondering anyone that ordered a truck how much of a down payment did u put down? I was told yesterday (i couldnt stop laughing after i left) that i needed a "sizeable down payment" Im not stupid and wouldnt give more that $500. All the dealers in my area are ignorant me and this salesman got into it because he tried to tell me that they only make one kind of seat. He thought the bench was the bucket luckily a mechanic stepped in and set him straight. I am gonna travel about 3 hrs away to order mine because i feel i can get better service and they have been treating me good.
    Ok last question anyone know if the trucks are predrilled for nerf bars??? Thanks alot

Ryan
    Zip down. A sizeable Down payment is crap.

- Tim
  • murizarmurizar Member Posts: 33
    Ups. I knew I would get in trouble for generalizing way too much. Thanks for the info and kick on the seat rwagoner you got me thinking. I need to reword my statements to "most factory speakers" not "all". Specially since some of the new factory systems cost more than my old car. Although, the paper cone info might seem old by today's technology it is still relevant especially since the 95, 97 and 99 premium high tech Honda speaker package is made up of paper cones. I still don't know if my SILVERADO speakers are really made up of paper cones or not either. I guess that is what happens when you buy the Base model. I got the 1500 99 base SILVERADO 4.8L, standard cab, long bed with the 5 speed and my girlfriend hates it when I say, " I love this truck". On a side note, I had to replace the 95 Honda speakers back in 98 with a 10-year-old Pioneer aftermarket set that literally sat on 130-degree direct sun. I am not endorsing Pioneer it is just a coincidence. I was wondering if the Chrysler factory infinity speakers you refer to the same speakers as the aftermarket infinity type or is there a difference?
  • murizarmurizar Member Posts: 33
    In order for me to order my truck I had to write a check for a minimum of $500. The dealer didn't cash the check until the factory accepted my order.

I checked with my banker and she showed me that the only way a down payment was going to make a difference in my case was if it was at least 4k. My base truck was 17K with tax, title and license
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Hello Everyone,

I've been reading all the interesting posts here and elsewhere on Edmunds for about a month or so now. Now I'd like to thank everyone for all the great advice as I ordered my truck yesterday! This will be my first new anything and my first new truck. Although, I have owned several vans. I decided to go with the 2000 Sierra SLT, 2wd 4dr, 3.73, 5.3L, Sportside. Fire Red/Oak Leather. I'm using the GMS price which is hard to beat. Now my question. Does anybody have any recommendations for break in speeds and the like. Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Break in dont go over 55mph the first 500mls and dont punch the accelerator just drive like your an old person on a sunday morning. This will help in the long run its only 500mls u can handle it. I did it in a 2000 blazer going 55 on labor day weekend on the expressway which was 65 mph i got passed by everyone but oh well u pay $30000 u want it to last.

Ryan
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    on my 99 Z71 are Firestone Wilderness ATs
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Thanks for posting the photo. That is a great combo. I hope the guy who originally asked for the photo sees it.
    -powerisfun
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Not going over 55 is folklore. Break the vehicle in like you are going to drive it during the life of the vehicle, within reason.

Avoid long periods of travel at constant speeds. Avoid fast accelerations and fast stops as well. Don't tow anything for the first 1000 miles.
    Change the factory oil at 500 miles, then at 1000 miles, then whatever schedule is best for you after which will still be within the manuf. recommendation.

Driving like an old person will do more harm than good. The myth of getting the best used vehicle from an old person is just that, a myth. Most old people never have the rings fully seat poking around town and such and therefore at higher speeds the vehicle breaks the seal and starts burning oil and such.

Don't race it, but don't baby it either.
    I found the guy who wanted it in another section...

- Tim
    Thanks for the break in info guys. I guess the the best thing to do is "not get on it" during the break in period. Now I'm in the hurry up and wait mode. Dealer got and used his first allocation of 4 doors already so he estimates a couple of weeks before he can even order. Oh well I'm in no big hurry and will not compormise. I'm going to get excatly what I want or go to another dealer. But so far my salesman, the fleet manager at Showcase GMC here in Phoenix is the best I've ever dealt with.

Sorry I'm here in the Silverado site talking about the Sierra but you guy are the most interesting and informitive. At least I'm buying GM. Fords are nice but I want more of a back seat. There are other reasons I choose the Sierra over all other but I don't wish to be verbose.

Everybody please buy American. Growing up in Detroit I seen first hand what the [non-permissible content removed] did to a lot of hard working American in the late 70's. I know there was quite a few lemons back then, mostly a result of the gas crunch. But that's past history. And please don't tell me that a lot of Toyota's are made in the US, I know that. But where does the buck stop, Toyko!! Sorry to ramble but this is something I feel very strongly about.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Mine came with Firestone Wilderness AT's blackwalls - not very aggressive looking. A guy I work with just got tires on his Toyota Tacoma and the shop told him not to get them - not a good tire.
    I think the accountants at these car companies, say look we're buying 2 million tires this year, let's get the low bid from Goodyear, Firestone, etc... and we'll look real good saving a dollar or two a tire. They probably ask the engineers what the minimum specs. need be, not what will be best in performance or wear.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    would you guys recommend? I want to put something more beefy looking on when I wear out these Firestone 265s.
  • wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    I've got the Flintstone, er, I mean Firestone 265's on my Z71. Not a bad looking tire, and I've been happy with them. When it comes time to replace though, I'll go with a tire from my personal favorite manufacturer, Michelin.

A buck or 2 saved on 2 million tires adds up pretty quick! If the General paid more for the tires, well, they wouldn't be paying for them anyhow, would they. 20 bucks extra for a set to the tire vendor would probably turn into a 150 dollar charge on the window sticker.

As with most car tire packages, you can choose the wheel/tire size, but rarely the manufacturer.
    Besides, somebodys' got to have the job of the tire kicker!

Bryan
  • tigger23tigger23 Member Posts: 1
    All the dealers around here (SC - GA border, Augusta to be exact) tell me they haven't started making 4-door Silverados yet. Start date according to them is mid-Nov. and then they will be very limited. Are they clueless or is this area receiving them late? I can't even order one according to the dealer's computer (I looked). Is GMC ahead in this aspect?
    I hate to get started on this touchy topic but oh well. The Japanese were given open access to our markets, the playing field was even. Initially during the gas shortage people went that way for fuel economy. But what happened to the American auto industry after that was 100% home grown. We simply got trumped with a better product. It took that whipping for our auto industry to learn that quality matters. Remember up to the 70s the American auto industry could do no wrong, they were king. I think that led to a large measure of complacency and arrogance and we got our butts kicked as a result. Anyway it's all different today and I'm happy to buy a Chevy truck!
    It isn't as much fun as Dodge bashing but oh well. I watched a Car and Driver TV show I taped several weeks ago and they did a comparison of the Ford SD 3/4 ton with V10 vs. a GMC 2500 with the 6L, both 4wd. The GMC blew away the Ford in every category. Faster 0-60, stopped quicker, lower load height by 5" but only 1/2" less ground clearance, way smoother ride, better back seat, same towing rating and higher payload. They put each truck on a trailer and towed it with the other one, the GMC was faster even though the Ford weighs 800lb more. The GMC was a little more expensive but as the host said, he would gladly pay it for so much benefit. No question as to the winner.
    American cars still are the King Vince...they never left the throne.

Better quality? Me and another poster here had a private talk about this touchy subject just before this. I'll let him post it if he wants.

Imports don't have better quality...just a better reputation built up over the years by hype and mis-information. They build them just good enough to last until your next one. I;m sure someone will pipe in that their import is still going strong after..blahh blahh blahh yada yada yada....

This Country revolves around the Auto Industry. if you can't help it..and want to live here...It's a damn shame. I don't care if the Mazda plant is right here and employs workers.....the real profits go bye bye!

...which is where all Import Buyers should go..

- Wrath of Tim Re-Visited
    I agree with what you guys are saying but to elaborate, the gas crunch hurt us in more ways then one. Sure the [non-permissible content removed] came out with some highly fuel efficient cars but what really hurt us is when we tried the same thing. Remember the K car, the Vega (the car that rusted in the show room)etc. We went from GTO's and Chevelles to Colts and Pintos. That's what I believe was the real down fall for that time period. Oh well just my opinon and you know what they say about those. And by the way screw Consumer Reports as they report a foregin car as their top pick in almost every catergory. Only the F150 wins for America and thats a Ford! Enough about the past. Todays American cars and Trucks rule. Let the rice burning yuppies eat my dust as my new Sierra use them as a speed bump!
    ...are the BIC lighters of the Auto Industry.
    Disposable! I can't ever remember hearing anyone say that they were busy doing a restoration of their Mazda/Datsun/Toyota.

The best quote I've heard lately on this subject was from a person that knows VERY little about cars, my girl-friend. We were sitting at a traffic light when she looked over (actually down from the truck) at a newer Honda or Nissan or something and said "you know, that is just as basic transportation as you can get". The older imports did seem to last a long time... but when you have no bells and whistles, or A/C, power windows, AT, etc...ahhh, enough already.

Pulled up beside a Tundra the other day. It's driver was looking over at my truck, and when he saw me looking over at him, he quickly glanced away. The only thing I could figure out was he had a brain flash of "Shoulda bought a REAL truck!"

How did we get on this subject, anyhow?

I'm done,

Bryan
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    Bryan,

I have nothing against Detroit. In fact, I'm considering a 2000 Silverado.

I do object to the import bashing. My 91 Nissan has had a leaking oil sending unit and one cracked exhaust manifold bolt, since new. That's it! Not one other repair other that routine stuff.

Last week a guy asked me if my car was brand new! I had just waxed it, but wow, nice compliment. He was shocked when I told him it was a 91. Granted, he's not much of a car guy or he would know the model isn't made any more, but, still, how many Cavalier owners have this experience?

By the way, my Nissan is loaded with air, cruise, tilt, power-everything, etc. And regarding restoration - people think my car looks brand-new, does it need restoration?

Look, I don't bash North American vehicles, but I have to support my foreign car that has never let me down.

As for the Tundra, well, if it were more attractive and had more rear seat room. . .

The Silverado still looks pretty good unless they can't get the 4th door on - can't wait for ever!
  • kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    in response to a post earlier, keep in mind the Ford Superduty v-10 is only a 6.8L. sure it has ten cylinders and pistons, but they are small. Hp and torque numbers between the GM 6L and v-10 are not that far off. the superduty pushes much more weight, hence the difference. it is definately beneficial to have the 6L gm. now if gm would slap two more cylinders on that 6L, that would be a smokin' motor!
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    I've read these reports and in almost all situation the 6.0 smokes both the Ford and Dodge V-10. Ten cylinders sounds great, but it must be just a bunch of hype. Is there any real advantage to a V-10 over a V-8?? It seems to me that there are just 2 more cylinders with that many more parts to fail. Until they can make a V-10 that will outperform a V-8 I'll stick with the V-8. A 6.8L V-10 should smoke a 6.0L V-8, but it doesn't - way to go GM.
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    Tim - Japanese autos may not now have better quality than U.S. vehicles, but that certainly wasn&#146;t always the case. Why do you think our cars are better now? The Japanese forced our manufacturers to improve their product. There are a number of books on the subject I would recommend you read.

Two of the books I know of are:
    &#145;Comeback; The Rise and Fall of the American Automobile Industry&#146; - This one describes, among other things, how the Japanese were kicking the big 3 out the door with better vehicles and how the big 3 recovered by adopting the Japanese methods for building cars.
    &#145;Behind the Wheel at Chrysler: The Iacocca Legacy&#146; - This one talks about what a scam Iacocca was running and how he made Japan a scapegoat while trying to cover over the inferiority of his company's product.

My wifes first car was an 81 Honda Prelude. Her father had your attitude - if you don&#146;t buy American you&#146;re a traitor. He wanted her to buy a Buick (Regal, I think) and even went so far as to pick out the car for her and to negoiate a deal - without consulting her, of course. When she purchased the Honda he was so angry we thought he was going to disown her. She had that car for 17 years and, in all that time, her father refused to even get into the Honda, although when she finally sold it he did say "that little thing turned out to be a pretty good car".

Oh, and Tim, you might want to pick a manufacturer other than Mazda for your examples, they&#146;re pretty much owned by F*rd.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I agree with this philosophy only to a point. If
    two cars (one American, one import) are basically equivalent in quality, price, and features, I'll go with the American one, but the minute they become non-equivalent, I'll go with the best value. That's truly the American way (Free market capitalism).
    I currently own all American vehicles, but I recently went car-shopping with my sister, who is a teacher, and I had no choice but to recommend a Nissan to her. It was over $1,000 less than an equivalent GM/Ford/DC car and has a better reliability record.
    You see, my sister is a college-educated (Magna [non-permissible content removed] Laude graduate) professional and she makes less than half of what the lowest-paid American auto workers make (and I won't even go into their fantastic benefits), so she can't afford to buy American to pay their wages. Auto workers are the privileged spoiled rich-kids in America's work force. I have no intention of considering THEM when buying a car. The only reason I favor buying American at all (to the point mentioned above) is that it is slightly better for the American economy as a whole.
    Now let's talk about "the little man". Wal-Mart hurts the little man, right?
    WRONG!!!
    For every one "little man" put out of business by Wal-Mart's presence, there are a thousand other "little men" who benefit enormously by the lower cost of shopping at Walmart. In my area, we just got a Wal-Mart SuperCenter. The cost of living (at least for groceries, and other goods) has dropped by 30% here. People can literally afford bigger cars and houses now.
    The bottom line is: USE FINANCIAL SENSE. The free-market is the last remnant of "survival-of-the-fittest" left in human life. The only way to keep American products strong is for weak products (i.e. poor quality, high prices) to die. They won't die if people keep buying them "because they're American".

Now that was a rant!

-powerisfun
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    Always found it amusing that lee Iacocca could bash the Japanese when two thirds of Chrysler
    cars (maybe more?) had Japanese engines in them.
    Even the first Omni Horizons had VW motors. I wouldn't trust that snake....
  • ww00650ww00650 Member Posts: 47
    >Granted, he's not much of a car guy or he would >know the model isn't made any more, but, still, >how many Cavalier owners have this experience?

Was the compliment on your '91 Nissan or your [Chevrolet] Cavalier?
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    What I meant was, this guy didn't know that my model of Nissan is no longer in production. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked if it was new.

I should have chosen a Chevy Chevette for comparison, rather than a Cavelier since the Chevette is out of production.

So, here it is again, how many Chevette owners have been asked if their 91 is brand-new in the last few weeks?

Not picking on the Chevette. I know it was an entry level vehicle. Just couldn't think of a more up-scale Chevy that is out of production now.
    ...assesed to me for import bashing. Wasn't really trying to bash imports, most American cars are "disposable" these days too due to the current manufacturing methods, e.g. unibody, etc... As we move more and more to a Global Economy, its going to be harder to tell where a car was built. On my Silverado, my Delco radio w/cassette and CD was made where? Alex, for 200 dollars, the answer is Mexico (sorry for the Jeporday reference, it was on TV in the background). And, I'd imagine just within the head unit are parts from the US, Japan, Germany, et al.

I do try to buy American, but, I don't put a lot of effort into it either. I've got a Mitsubushi TV, Sony surround, blah blah blah. Ya'll get the picture.

Bottom line: you want a Toyota, buy a Toyota. want a Ford, buy one. Thats the joy, and the responsibility, of a free* marketplace.

That's why there ain't just one flavor of ice cream!

Bryan
    Lexmark, you can knock on the Chevette if you want too. Most of their engines did...

Hahaha

Bryan
    10's supposedly give more torque. All the ones out there are a joke right now.

OK..mazda puts a plant here..Ford owns the company ...hmmm...where did those Billions of dollars to buy it go?..hmmmm..Could be Bye Bye!

I rest my case your Honor..

- Tim
    Hungry??....Eat your Import!
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know if a 2500 extended cab short box will tow the same weight as a 2500 extended cab long box with the same motor and rear-end??
    was not talking about the dodge v10, was talking about the ford
    Appears to be the same. payloads are different of course..

- Tim
  • storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    I also think that the v10 (more so for Ford than Dodge) may have to do with emissions as well. Much easier to control the combustion process with a smaller cylinder than with a bigger one!! (10 smaller ones vs. 8 big cylinders for the same displacement) You end up with less unburnt fuel and have a more "environmentally conscience" exhaust!! That's how the big Excursions are supposedly "Low emissions vehicles" which is a bunch of marketing crap since they are really only "Low emissions heavy duty trucks"!!! But, whatever, the 6.0 V8 will beat the Ford V10 anyday!!

Kevin
    storch you are exactly right, the small cylinders in the Ford are for emissions reasons. So think of the V10 as a modern way to make a bigger V8. The Ford V10 does have more power but it's lost with the extra weight in the SD. I'm happy with the GM solution. The Dodge engine is big and low tech, enough said.
    I was wondering if the engine hour meter calculates hour the same way a boat's hour meter does? do the numbers parallel one another? Currently I have 58.7 hrs on my truck at 1500 miles. Does this mean that a boat with 58.7 hrs on it would have the equivalent of 1500 miles?
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    divide 1500 miles by 58.7 hrs and you get your average speed
    25.5 mph
This discussion has been closed.