Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    7,000 miles on the car, getting close to the first trip to the dealer. The car is doing great. I did have some cold start hesitation early on but that has not happened since after 3,000 miles. We have had some very cold and snowy weather here, the car drives as good as any other FWD car I have owned in the snow and ice. Any take care and talk to you later.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Its good to learn that after 7000 miles Verona is doing excellent. What fuel do you use?. Octane 93 or 87?. Do you use any appliances off the 12V outlet or lighter socket?. If so what are your experiences?. How have your friends/relatives felt about your car?. What color do you have?. I have a monarch blue and find salt spray easily visible.My Car is doing very well.
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    I was looking on Daewoo Korea's website and it looks like the Magnus (Verona) offers side airbags in Korea. So who knows maybe in a few years they will put them in. The only thing that I don't really like about the Verona is that they don't offer any other interior color except grey. Every one of my cars has had grey leather and I want tan but they won't offer it.
    I use either mid grade or high octane gas, the car seems to run a little better on higher octane. I don't know if it is any better or not but for a few cents what the heck. I have not used the 12V outlet yet but I would have to agree with an early post on the subject, in that I would avoid plugging anything in that would put a heavy load on the system. By the same token I don't think charging a cell phone would cause any problems. Both mom and mom in law like the car two facts that they noticed is one my mom drives a Town car that is one year old and noted that there is less road noise in the cabin of the Verona than the Town car. Two my mother in law is considering trading in her Mustang for a Verona. When my mom took a ride in the Verona she made me drive the Town car to prove her point that the Town car was not as quiet. When we returned she then lodged her complaint to dad about a $16,000 car should not be as quiet as a $35,000 car. We chose the gold, not my first choice but it is very easy to keep clean and we have had to many red cars already, in all fairness the gold looks better than most of the other gold cars parked next to it. The gold used on the suzuki is a little darker than most of the other manufactures seem to use.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    There's a rumor that the Daewoo Magnus will get a bigger version of the 2.5L I6 engine for the 2005 model year. The Korean 05 is supposed to come out around August or September. It's rumored to be either at 2.8 or 3.0. Does anyone know if this is true and if it might come into the Verona? :)
  • isles7983isles7983 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all!
    I've been reading this board for the last week or so and decided to check the car out for myself.
    I walked into the dealership and there was a White Verona EX in the showroom. I've never been a fan of white cars so it did not impress me upon first glance. The interior on the other hand had the feel of a luxury car(leather, wood grain, power driver seat, heated front seats, and I especially liked the glow of the instrument panel). I then took a Sapphire Gray Metallic Verona EX for a test drive(was not too fond of this color either). The car does lack power, but it is an extremely quiet and smooth ride. IMO this car looks best in a dark color, like Tuxedo Black Pearl or Garnet Red Metallic.
    Although it does not redefine the mid-size class, it fits in very nicely, especially because of the value. I would tell anyone interested in a mid-size sedan to give this car a look.
    Hi..,
    I am happy that you took time to test ride the Verona and liked it. As far as the power is concerned..it has similar power curves to the 4 cylinder accord. I dont find it inadequete by any means...however some of the readers have felt it because of what is expected from a 6 cylinder engine. Because of the inline configuration the stroke of the cylinder is kept smaller and this creates more space inside. The Car does ride very smooth and that counts in a family based sedan. I have a monarch blue and that does look good..but it gets dirty quickly especially the salt stains in the current weather. I like the silver color and the red too.
    Its 670 miles on the Verona and there is no problem yet. Runs very well and no cold start.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The car weighs 400-500 lbs more than an Accord 4, which has better gearing (with 5 speeds in the auto) for quicker acceleration, and there in lies the problem. Not to say "I told you so", but if you recall, my argument was that prospective buyers would have to weigh the benefits of the Verona's features against the noticeable "lack of power" (isles' words, not mine).

That said, if this car gets a power boost for 05, and some side impact protection options, this segment will be really on fire!! (The Altima is being updated, with the 2005 model bowing this spring, and the Camry will be updated for the 2005MY, available this fall....)

~alpha
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello again, just wondering if anyone knows the availability of parts for the verona,like brake pads, oil filters etc.I am looking on line and cannot find any site that carries verona parts.I bought brake pads for my wifes xl-7 from rock auto.com, and saved alot of money.
    My verona has 1574 miles,running great.I have the black...looks awsome when clean, but the salt and snow really show up and looks bad.Guess ill spend alot of time at the car wash..
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    I have the Titanium Silver Metallic and like the color very much. Does not show the road grime, dust and dirt too much. But them it sits in the garage about 5 days a week. I drove it yesterday -- first time in a week -- and I enjoy driving it better than my Chrysler Concorde. I continue to like that Verona....... I have not tried to locate any parts for the car. My guess is it will take a while to get the parts in the supply line as it has been on the market only for about 6 months, I think. At present I would think even the dealer would have to order certain parts.
    Enjoy your Verona.
    I agree with your observation alpha with some digress. The newer models coming out will evidentally cost more I presume and that tilts the equation again. There are other aspects too like the warantee. Your observations are relevant but I think for a first suzuki sedan in US its quite a good start.
    Carrino.... .have you tried www.foreignmotors.com?.
    Thanks
    In defense of alpha horsepower and track times are a priority in his buying decision, and thats ok it just is not the priority of those of us that bought the Verona. I think that in future model years you will see additions that will increase the performance of this car as there are little things that can be done without huge impact on price. A five speed transmission probably will be one those additions this should go a long way in utilizing the cars torque and they are becoming standard. Side airbags will be one of the non performance additions, we must remember that 40% of the cars put on the road in 03 were equipped with side impact airbags. This figure will be dramatically higher for 04. In terms of application side airbags is relatively young making it more expensive to deploy, this should not be the case next year. I don't think I would like to see the Verona go on the Atkins diet due to fact that I feel this would create a negative impact on the comfort bias suspension. This car has hints of the ride of yesterdays cars prior to us selling our souls to the tighter suspension Japanese ride and I would have to say that weight plays a part in it. Anyway thats just some of my thoughts I could be wrong I have been many times before, but 7000 miles and not a single problem thus far. We like this car and can only hope that it gives us 10 years of service without a single trip to the repair shop like our last one did.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I think Edmunds validated many of alpha's comments. They made it abundantly clear that to them the Verona is underpowered. Against lower-tier sedans like the Sonata and Optima, or even against smaller sedans like the Civic, 3, and Corolla the Verona might make sense. But match it up against the best in it's class and you get a last-place finish.
    Unfortunately Edmunds placed the Verona against other V-6 models that it is not intended to compete price or performance. I have yet to see it placed against the four cylinder models it is intended to compete with from Optima and Sonata. The Verona starts at an MSRP of $16,999 and are selling with incentives at $14,000 and below I say make it real and compare it to comparably equipped and priced automobiles in it's size class. As stated before if performance is your quest than the mid size family sedan is not your holy grail. It even becomes more clear that your performance dollars are wasted as you near $25,000 as you compare Neon SRT and Mitsu EVO. The WRX would fall into this fray if you don't mind spending $30,000.
    No. My opinion is certainly not the only one that matters. I think I'm very fair in my assessment of most vehicles. Some Verona types are the only ones however, that cant concede that thier car, just AS do ALL cars ... has some deficiencies. In my last post, I simply used the input of another TownHaller to illustrate that I feel prospective buyers will immediately notice the power deficiency. That's all. For those who dont place precedence on power, and dont require side airbags of some sort, the Verona offers a smooth ride, high features content, smooth styling, room, and a good warranty. How is that not a fair, objective view?

~alpha
    I noticed at test drive that the Verona was not a set you in your seat powerful car, but as alpha said it's feature, ride, smoothness,etc. was a selling point for us when we bought the car. As with most product produced there are give and takes when dealing with automobiles this is magnified. While this is not a car but I think it is an of example of give and take. My motorcycle comes stock with a 50 Horsepower V-twin and weighs in at 450 lbs. Equipped with the stock 15 tooth front sprocket it is quicker than most stock harleys rated at 100 horsepower weighing in at near 900 lbs. But it suffers at the top end and will be caught by the Harley. Here is the give and take, change to a 17 tooth sprocket and you take the speed at the line loosing quickness and gaining the speed at the top end reducing the RPMs at highway speed and relieving wear on the engine. This is one of the reasons I feel that a future five speed transmission will possibly drive the Verona past most of it's I-4 counter parts as it only has a second or two to make up.
    I agree lil302000 that Suzuki (or GMDAT) should add a 5-speed auto to the Verona. Even if they don't upgrade the engine, a 5-speed auto would help utilize the torque on the inline 6.

What I'd like to see in an 05 Verona:

-side airbags..PLEASE!!!
    -5 speed auto (maybe even with shiftronic)
    -sport model with 17" wheels
    -optional spoiler
    -optional upgraded stereo

:)
    I know that one or two seconds over a quarter mile is notable in race terms. We know that Verona has top of class torque so that means even with the added weight the car is capable of being quicker than the other I-4 cars in it's class. So were is the torque? If I were betting man it's in the transmission. Why is it in the transmission? My guess would be in the use of a transmission that was ready to bring to market. But is the transmission bad? I dont think so it is smooth and shifts as good as any other transmission in it's class.
    I agree with lil302000 and RCtennis on all points. However I differ with Aplha's statement .."and thats the problem". The problem it is not for Verona drivers who seem to be satisfied. It may be problem with people wanting more power.... I dont agree with anonymous.Look at the strong points of Verona as observed by various owners in this forum. The accord is undoubtedly an excellent car..but it may also have some downpoints as every car does. What is also important is the value for the price you pay. As far as torque is concerned Verona is fine.The Car rides very ably and is a joy to ride.Anonymous..for your info the "low tier" cars have grabbed quite a slice of the market.
    Lil30200's observation on the test by edmunds is interesting.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    Clearly an overabundance of power in cars today. Having 155hp and 177 ft-pounds of torque is not deficient by any means. One Verona owner measured the time in normal traffic flow to reach 60 miles per hour at 20+ (26?) seconds. I find it to be nearly the same in my situations. While some have, and are entitled to, unrealistic and skewed views on performance statistics, the overall majority prove overwhelmingly that a few seconds difference in 0-60 times is trivial.

A quick visit to dictionary.com will also prove that the Verona is not deficient of power/performce. The person who makes such claims is known to exaggerate.

deficiency: The quality or condition of being deficient; incompleteness or inadequacy

adequate: Sufficient to satisfy a requirement or meet a need

overabundant: Going or being beyond what is needed, desired, or appropriate

0-60 times vary greatly for this car, and edmunds.com own test was off the mark compared to other publications. Car and Driver tested the Verona for 10.7 seconds. My Nubira does it in around 10 seconds (129hp, 136ft-lb). I have had no problem with acceleration (undeniably the status quo) or passing multiple cars on 2-lanes.

I find it interesting that the Daewoo 2.5l inline six was rated at 180hp in 2001 as ULEV (from several sources). However, it is 155 hp today for some reason. Also, both the Verona and Forenza are available with side airbags elsewhere:
    http://www.media.suzuki.com/auto/04/forenza/photography/views/05_- forenza.jpg

Visit for a lot of information concerning the design and engineering of the engine in the Verona:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_10/showall_/id_DAE/doc_dae0202131- /cms/news/newsarticle.html
    Wow, it was 180HP in 2001!?! Man I wish it still was. The Forenza/Lacetti/Verona are standard with side-impact airbags in every other market except for North America. I don't know why though. :( I think the horsepower rating changes when it went through NA emissions. The Forenza was originally rated at 119HP until it went through emissions and they found out that there was 126HP under the hood. The Aveo also had more power in preproduction models but emissions made it lower. To me, it seems that Koreans can't figure out how much HP their own cars have. Do you remember last year when magazines said that Hyundai/Kia engines actually made 10 less HP than stated? So a 195HP Kia actually made 185HP. Interesting...
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Power aside, you are sacrificing fuel economy with no advantage in power. If the Verona was low on power but produced class-leading EPA numbers or if the Verona offered class-leading performance to offset it's low (by today's standards) fuel economy then I don't think as many people would mind the 10.5-11.0 second jaunt to 60. It's when you have one of the slowest cars also producing some of the lowest gas mileage figures that you run into the problem with the Verona.
    I Dont agree with your comment:
    "If the Verona was low on power but produced class-leading EPA numbers or if the Verona offered class-leading performance to offset it's low (by today's standards) fuel economy "
    The EPA fuel economy figures show that for a six cylinder the Verona's mileage is adequete.
    Look at are edmunds figures and compare them with cylinders and cubic capacity:
    The Verona shows 20/28 which is better than Sonata's or Gallant's. This forum has many entries on power. As all Verona owners say Power and Torque in the Verona is good enough to take you wherever you want. I have never felt that the few seconds difference in accelaration has left me fighting for life!! The EPG is not going to burn a hole in the wallet!. It is not fair to thrash the car based on a few points alone but look at the value proposition afforded. So far all Verona owners agree that it is indeed an excellent choice for the money you pay.
    Thanks alpha...but my comments were meant for anonymous..I'm surprised that evoked a reaction. I did not say that Verona does not have its limitations but read anonymous' comments on post #437 and please find one appreciative point on the Verona and I will agree with you. This is unlike your posts which usually highlight the positives as well as the negatives.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    rctennis, I remember the Hyundai HP issue. They offered us an even better warranty for our Santa Fe. We did indeed "Win" with Hyundai.

Neither are ratings "poor" alpha01. Again you exaggerate. From dictionary.com:

Poor: not adequate in quality; inferior; insufficient; Lacking in quantity

Lacking: Deficiency or absence

Please learn the proper meaning of the words that you use, or provide adequate reason (and proof) for using them. We had made "excellent inroads" on this issue in the past.

"Every car has faults rasup, you just seem to be unable to concede that the Verona is no different."

I see no evidence rasup holding this position, only conspiring attempts to create such an issue by an other. But, if delusion is your bag...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, we are getting too personal here. Feel free to debate the opinions others express, but please do not slam the person who expressed it.

Thanks.
    You're right. My original pharmaceutical reference was uncalled for, and hence, the deletion of that post. My apologies. However, bmcclain, I will maintain that the Verona offers "a poor accleration/fuel economy combination."

Rasup correctly states that 20/28 falls in the range formed by V6 vehicles of this class. However, the Sonata GLS V6, the Galant V6, et al, produce MORE POWER and furnish better acceleration, while achieving similar ratings. (The Sonata is 1 MPG behind the Verona, but provides stronger acceleration to the tune of 1.1 seconds to 60, 1.6 seconds from 30 to 50, and 2 seconds from 50 to 70, by Car and Drivers watch).

As we've astutely established, stronger response is more important to some, and less so to others. However, I'm using facts to make the assertion that, given the similar fuel economy, the Verona is "inferior" to the Sonata (perhaps its closest competitor anyway), and also "Lacking in quantity" where vigor is concerned. So, on two counts of your dictionary definition, the shoe fits.

Insufficient... is more of a judgement call, one that the consumer will ultimately make. However, my only continued issue with this topic is that Verona fans refuse to concede that, COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE MIDSIZE CLASS, the Verona is underpowered. (Also, reference the edmunds.com comparo to come to the realization that the Verona is actually underpowered compared to the compact class as well).

~alpha
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    take ten people, put them in the verona, and I am willing to bet that you would get different comments on the power.
    Now, put same 10 people in a noticably faster car, no matter what the name is, then put them in the verona, and youwould probably get comments realiting to lack of power.
    I know compared to my Vitara it felt like a rocket, again this is relative because my rig is pretty slow regardless. Thus, pretty much anything else I drive would appear to be more powerful then what I have.
    What changed my mind on power was the purchase of our new sundance in 1994. Here we are ten years later and the Sundance is sitting in front of the house ready to roll down the road at a snails pace. That car has crappy fit and finish, I was passed by a snail from 0 to 60, loud as a rag top jeep on the inside, and the cheapest plastic I have ever seen in a car. Here is the good part 10 years and over 100,000 miles and only things that have ever been done to it is three sets of tires, one set of brakes, one tune up, one headlight, one brake light, and several oil changes. The car has only been to the shop to have the tires mounted. You are reading correct it still has original belts, hoses, and everything else not mentioned above. On the other hand my Trans Am that was loaded with power and stuck to road great cost more to keep than it did to get rid of my ex wife and lawyers are not cheap. All things being relative the sundance is a better car.
    Your anecdotal correlation between power and quality may have played a role in your purchase of a Verona, but many consumers will realize that power and quality are not mutually exclusive in reality, rendering your experience unique, and certainly interesting.... but of comparatively little value when facts are available, illustrating the rest of the midsize class offers a better acceleration fuel/economy tradeoff, and many of them.... top-notch quality.

~alpha
    I understand what you are saying, but if you look at the published facts concerning the Sundance and the Trans Am I think you will find it hard to come across a car magazine that places the Sundance above the Trans Am. And the facts would not place it there as well. But in this case the Sundance is in the drive and the Trans Am is long gone. I would not believe it myself but it is a true story. As a matter of fact the car was bought due to needs and budget not choice, and it ends up being one of the best cars I have ever owned hence the look at the Neon SRT.
    What can we say despite the shortcomings of the Verona we really like the car. 7000 miles and it's off to a good start. We have a soft spot in our heart for Suzuki as our bike is a Suzuki and the one machine that we have bought that has provided more fun and togetherness than any other purchase we have made. The most important thing about buying this vehicle or any other vehicle is that you are happy with it and we are. So only time will tell if this car is as good as the Sundance or as bad as the Trans Am. Anyway we all have our reasons for buying and your reasons are just as good as mine. I can say with all honesty that I would tell anyone to test drive this car without any feeling of guilt. The Sundance all I could say is that it was basic transport that was reliable and worked well for me.
    Fair enough.

~alpha
  • boughtaveronaboughtaverona Member Posts: 21
    As a proud new Verona Owner I've come to accept Alpha's logic and arguments about the weaknesses of the Verona compared to others in the class. If Alpha's not a lawyer he'd make a good one. But...as Lil's last comment illustrates, a person's decision to buy a particular vehicle is complex and not based just "on the facts." How else can you explain why people buy what they do and pay what do to purchase a car. My Verona is my first new purchase since 1982. I've always had reliable transportation and never paid more than $10,000 for a car.

I took a risk in buying the Verona. It hasn't been crash tested and reliability is a question mark, but personally I couldn't stomach being yet another Camary or Accord on the road. Not that the Verona turns any heads, but I like having something unique. I haven't seen another one on the road. Logical? No. Stupid reason to buy? Maybe...but then...I don't understand why anyone (unless they have money to burn) would spend 30, 35 or 40,000 for any vehicle.
    All things taken into consideration, to this point (5,000 miles) I think the Verona was the "right" choice for me.
    Excellent post boughtaverona! I think that every car is tailored to meet a certain demographic of people, and the Verona is for those who want as much as they can get for their money.
    And thanks for the compliment (if, of course, you consider being called a "lawyer" a compliment, and I do). I actually just graduated college, and now have a degree in Finance, w/concentrations in Economics and Spanish. However, I'd like to lead the sales and marketing efforts of an automobile industry, or least find my way into the industry not too far from now.

Happy motoring to you.

~alpha
    We wish the best of luck to you, and hope to see a post on the board soon when you start your work in the automobile industry. It sounds like you have worked hard and I think you will get your reward for that hard work. I have fun on this board despite the fact that my wife thinks I'm nuts.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    I'm looking to purchase a midsize car during the summer and have begun my on-line research. For a new entry, atleast on paper, teh Verona has a lot of strikes against it --poor acceleration, low mpg, no side airbags/curtains, and no crash testing. When a potential buyer reads Motor Trend, C&D, Edmunds, etc these are glaring faults and these buyers won't enter the Suzuki show room. A large part of the potential buyers won't go for a test drive. For those who take a test drive, they can weigh the positives vs the negatives and make a decision.
    A lot depends on what you want. Are the reviews totally reflective of the points you mentioned?. That is a subjective and objective question. The reviews may not be 100% as they differ in content largely as you change the web site. The decision process should not be based on reviews alone but a complete process of matching your needs against what the car offers. Yes guys who bought the verona did take a risk regards crash test data . As far as poor accel. I do not find it "poor" for the conditions I drive in. Low mpg? again this is relative. Unless you test drive and "feel" the car the decision process is not complete.
    As far as Verona owners opinion is concerned, you can see that they are happy with their choice. Good luck on whatever Car you choose.
  • marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    I agree that the Verona offers a poor combination of power and economy. This is an area that Suzuki and GMDAT should resolve in future model years. Does anyone have an idea why economy is not better? The engine has roller tipped rocker arms which usually decrease friction. The streamlining seems quite normal, judged by appearances. The vehicle weight is a bit heavy, but I think not enough to cause the economy difference. True, the engine has six cylinders, but so do many cars that provide better fuel economy. I wonder if the emissions control system, combustion system, and fuel injection have been fully optimized? I note that the engine in the 2004 Chevy Malibu turns only 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. The Verona turns about 2300 RPM at the same vehicle speed. It is a shame that this otherwise well designed car should not also be fully competitive on fuel economy.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    The Verona is a new entry into a very competitive market as there are many cars in the moderate priced family sedan market segment. Many potential buyers don't have the time or interest to test drive every car. They will read the online and/or magazine comparisons and test drive the few that consistently get the better reviews. The critisms in these reviews about teh Verona are consistent. Many of these buyers will not even test drive the Verona for these reasons. In addition Suzuki does not have much brand recognition and is competing against the Camry and Accord which have their faults. To be successful, GM/Suzuki should have introduced a vehicle that does not get the red flags on the comparisons regarding performance, fuel economy and safety. (THese features are often shown on comparative charts, so one need not even have to read the full article.) They should have done their homework and made sure that the Verona competed well from the get-go. I will test drive the Verona as I enjoy testing different vehicles and I also like to buy cars that are new to the market place. I've had a Camry, Subaru Legacy and Forester, and Olds Alero in the first production year.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    if a buyer does not take the time to test drive and/or research, shame on him/her. There is a level of responsibility here that unfortuantely some buyers shirk then they buy a vehicle, house, PC or whatever and say "Gosh, I didn't know, realize, imagine this would/wouldn't.................(fill in the blank).
  • boughtaveronaboughtaverona Member Posts: 21
    Let us know what you think after you kick the tires and take a test drive.
    Look at many of the reviews by "autobytel","caranddriver","msn-auto" the paper " washington post" etc..and you will find "consistent" praise for the finer points of Verona. Even some of the sites mentioned point out the positives.If you have the money to spend..buy the best by all means. For one with a budget the Veronas good points far outweigh the negatives.Many of us did test drive other hi rated cars prior to selecting the Verona. Only a test drive gives you a better perspective. And Oh Yes..do go with an open mind!!!
    Good Luck.
    I can't imagine buying any car without driving it. Whatever the price is it's far to much money to just stake your bet on a column by someone you don't know.
  • marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    Try before buy is good advice. I did that and bought a new Verona EX. I agree with other owners who find that Verona offers an appealing overall package. The outstanding fit and finish on this car continues to impress me. The fuel economy remains an important issue for Suzuki product developers to improve on future models. I am pleased overall with the car but cannot ignore the growing evidence that fuel economy is not in balance with performance.
  • saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    I have to agree with those who say test drive and buy it or don't. Test drive the vehicle like how you would drive it everyday and if it meets your needs than buy it. If not, buy something else.
    I agree this car has to be test driven. If you find the power not to your needs or wants then pass. When I drove it I found it to be a very nice car for the money so I bought it.
  • tekrektekrek Member Posts: 18
    Hi everyone. Glad to see the battle rages over the performance and value of the Suzuki Verona. Suzuki would be in a lot of trouble if there was no attention given their latest offering. Perhaps this is the intention of Suzuki/GMDAT, expose the obvious weaknesses early in the initial production run then upgrade in an orderly manner. In my opinion GMDAT certainly has the comfort and value segments covered. Now they need only address drivetrain efficiencies and consistently upgrade the the Verona’s strengths. This sounds easy but it is a simplistic proposition just as judging a vehicle by it’s 0 to 60 times or gas mileage numbers.
    I just noticed my Verona EX odometer hit 1984 today. Lots of miles for a month of ownership. I have to admit the Verona has had no negatives other than it’s not paying my sales tax, registration and insurance fees. I do hope GMDAT corrects this. If not for me then for other Verona buyers. If this isn’t fixed I may never purchase another vehicle produced in whole or part by GM. Fancy 0 to 60 times aside GM’s overlooking these very glaring mistakes is unforgivable. I don’t care if I got a $3000.00 reduction in MSRP and that my Insurance is only $50.00 a month.
    Regarding performance(A private word to current Verona owners), how about that acceleration rush from 3 to 4 grand on the tachometer? I wasn’t expecting that! It even clobbers you when you aren't making an “emergency” on ramp access to the highway. What a pleasure.
    Gas mileage is a strong 23-24 MPG depending on the amount I use heavy electric options as heated seats, rear window with mirror defrosters and climate control fan on its highest setting. Without the extra drain on the alternator I would get higher MPG.
    After one month I have nothing but high praise for my Verona. I’ll keep you posted.
    Have you noticed that the slight hesitation in the acceleration no longer exist after you put a few miles on the car? Mine had a slight hesitation when it was new but this stopped at about a thousand miles. The torque that you feel is due to the wide curve that the Verona has. That is why I feel that a change in gearing will put this car towards the front of it's class.