Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    In terms of surviving an accident and the dynamics of real auto accidents the validity of these test are debatable to say the least. If the information from these test are used by engineers to correct safety cage defects or reinforce weak points, and so on than they are valuable. But in terms of real world accidents it would be a mistake to be over confident in the results.
    I in no way want to say that Accord or Camry are not good cars. But sales for 04 are starting to slide a bit, part of the problem is that while these cars are at the top of the class they are also at the highest price. This becomes a problem for young families starting out. Most young families are not at the pinnacle of their earning capabilities when they are starting out. They would like to have the comfort and benefits of new car ownership, but when they go to look at this class leader they get hit with this near thirty thousand dollar price tag. So they have to move on to find something more within the family budget. So they they have two options at this point find a cheaper new car and achieve the new car ownership benefits or take the risk of buying a used car. This is just my opinion but it does seem arcane to charge for every option on a car.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    There are no options on Accords. The Accords will have Side Air Curtains standard for 2005.

Camrys are much more customizable, but the base LEs are hardly at a paucity for standard features. Keyless, power drivers seat, split folding rear seats, DRLs, cruise, its all there for $20,690 w/ABS.

I understand your point about families just starting out. Dont these families probably care about the cost of gasoline as well, though? And who's to say that such families are simply looking to get the most features for the dollar?

The Verona is a good car, it just seems like a hard sell based on anything other than features for the price.

~alpha
    How have you been? I agree that we do watch gas prices, but we can change our habits and adjust what we spend. We are stuck with that car payment though. You could adjust the options on Accord or buy a stripped one if you can find one, these are usually lot teasers though. I knew that the Verona would be weak in side impact test with no air bag, but it did seem that it does not have critical safety cage defects. I am almost of the opinion that side air bags will be mandated in the near future. I think with low cost cars applying pressure on the norm you will start seeing things from the leaders such as more finance options as well as standard options on the cars. For Honda and Toyota fans this will be good news and added value.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Camry LE's are all over Atlanta papers for $15,900 while the Accord LX is advertised at $18,500. Both are very reasonably equipped vehicles at that price and if one can afford a Verona it shouldn't be too far of a stretch for them to step up to a Camcord.
    Your prices are off, representing teaser Camrys. Your Accord prices are slightly more in-line, but seriously, let's try and keep this fair. Use TMVs or carsdirect.com pricing (tracks regional pricing extremely well). Dont use one-offs from ATL papers.

~alpha
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, this is not a comparison discussion - those who want to compare the Verona to any other vehicle are welcome to create an appropriate discussion on our Comparisons board.

Anyone want to get back on topic here?

:-)
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    Well I had glasses since 7th grade. With the new
    plastic lens I think stop at wally wourld (wmart)
    and pick up lens cleaner and a lens cloth you can ask for it in the eye glass dept. If yours don't have one look in pharmacy. that should clean it with out scratching it.Well I knew it was going to happen the camry accord guys are now rampin and ravin. and 20/20 insurance program is taking over. However state farm insurance just lowered my rate by 102.00 per year over my last vec. Why
    because the insurance institute found the defect and Suzuki fixed it and retested the car and got an acceptable rating. all the cars built now days are trying to get in this bracket that is why there is so many design changes on all cars.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    I agree with your comment on options for those wanting to buy a car with a limited budget. What one forgets also is the fact that the costlier the car, the more the insurance premium and the depreciation amount over the years. Of course this is marginally set off by the gas mileage as well as the resale rate. Face it, no ones going to sell a car within 1 year or two. Infact the Verona is an excellent option for those who want to buy a two or three year old car that needs a good check. As far as the instrument panel cleaning is concerned, I have had a problem getting them cleaned with a glass cleaner- they leave swirl marks. I will try the lens cleaner now..thanks russm3. Congrats Lil on completion of 12000 miles!!!!
    Anyone know about using synthetic oil for Verona?.
    I have found that if you go over the lens with one of those yellow detail cloths it works really well. You are not going to believe this but I found this at the Dollar Tree store. Auto Shine Brite Super Dress is the name, I use it on the interior plastics and vinyls. It does not shine or get slick like Armor All. You put it on with a clean soft cloth and lightly buff with the yellow detail cloth. I clean my car about twice a week on average and have what seems to be about a thousand dollars in car care products sitting on my shelf, but I really like this cheap cleaner. I have not used synthetic oil in the Verona yet but I am a three thousand mile oil change guy so I don't know that it would benefit me as much. I broke down and bought the nose bra for the car and I am pleased with the way it looks on the gold color. It seems to give it a more sporting look and dress it up a bit. I will say that if you are not one to fuss with the car it does take some extra care and removal after rains.
  • tom48tom48 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Tercel has 113,908 miles on it. It's been a great car. One nagging annoyance is it seems there is a suspension squeak that is intermittent. Several shops have tried to diagnose and fix - but have failed. Problem is not new.

What may be related or not, is when I park the car
    (my car is a 4 speed manual), with the shifter in any gear position, and apply the emergency brake, the car queaks loudly when I get out of the car. With the Emergency brake off, problem doesn't happen. Mechanics don't understand how to fix this problem either. Any suggestions?
    My 94 Sundance done the same thing from almost from the time it was new. It's still going now. I don't know if I would go to the expense or trouble to try and fix it at this point. I think I would just be thank full that we have nine or ten years of good service from our cars.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The debates here are like dejavu if you read the old Daewoo Leganza and the arguments with Camry and Accord owners. It all comes down to which car you like. Another point everybody missed are interest rates. Unless you are paying cash for your cars, Honda and Toyota have very high interest rates, at least in Canada(Not sure about USA). Whereas GM and Suzuki are offering ZERO percent interest rates on the Verona/Epica, Swift/Aveo, Optra/Forenza. Interest rates do add quite a bit to the cost of ownership.
    Interestingly enough, GM sells the Epica in Canada for more money than a similarly equipped Verona. And the Verona looks nicer by the way, because they kept the traditional Daewoo Grille. In fact, the Verona in Canada gets better looking headlight assembly, Chrome Grille, White sporty looking instrument panel guages, Better stereo system with both CD and cassete, and all for less money(a couple of thousand less). Amazing but true. GM still counting on brand image and catering to uninformed North American buyers.
    The car that seems to be the biggest hit here in Canada is the Aveo/Swift. There seems to be one on every corner now. So much that competitor KIA has started offering lifetime oil changes on their cars.
    nevertheless, GM marketing guys at the Chicago auto show had the audacity to say the Aveo is "Much more reliable" than a Daewoo Lanos because the Aveo has a "GM Engine". Are they stupid or just acting stupid to cater for an ignorant public. The Daewoo Lanos and its predecessors have used the same GM engine in the Aveo for over ten years now. Ironically, the original daewoo Kalos which is what the Aveo is everywhere else in the world, has better trim, and a newer engine than this GM dinosaur.
    The Verona remains the Gem of the GM Daewoo offerings, and according to the auto reviewers in Canada. You will have to buy a BMW to get a similar quality inline six cylinder engine as the one in the Verona. And for the first time in its history, Daewoo has not used a GM engine. The Inline six in the verona was designed by Dr. Ulrich Bez and with the assistance of Porsche in Germany, way back in 1998-1999, before Daewoo went bankrupt and before Dr. Bez was hired Aston Martin or Land Rover. GM gets no credit for this Gem of an engine. In fact I would only give them a bad rap for slapping a GM transmission on it and suffocating it. Imagine how good the Verona's performance could have been had they stuck with a Japanese transmission like the one in the Leganza.
    Transmissions dont change output figures. Transmissions can dull or maximize an engine's capabilities, but the fact of the matter is that the Verona's engine produces (not transmission produces) 155 hp and 177 foot pounds of twist. From what I've read, the transmission in the Verona isnt the brightest, but its FAR from a bad unit. If GMDAT wants the car to perform better, start with the engine.

~alpha
    Some ventshades and a spoiler would make this ride awsome. Were can we get the gear suzuki? Now
    about the engine shhhhhhh can you here it? the rotten trans. did you fell the shift? If I needed a z28 I would be looking for one. The fact is the inline 6 is quiet and the shifts are smooth living around mountains and hills I found out from honda mecs. their auto trans are not indistrable. What about the 4cyls they are great for gas millage and they have the same hps. But what about the tork? Is it the same at the same leval of pricing of the cars? Ya Ya Ya what a bargin no problems quiet and smooth riding and comfy seats and well done. Suzuki has nothing to hang there head low about this car.
  • tekrektekrek Member Posts: 18
    Regarding initial build quality J D Power recently released data reguarding this subject. this information will be of interest to the group when comparing automobiles such as the Suzuki Verona and others.
     http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Alpha01, I know transmissions do not change output numbers, but they do change performance. I drove the Verona and I did not feel the 177 lbft of torque. The Daewoo Leganza with the Aisin/Warner transmission has only 147 lbft of torque from its 2.2 Ecotec, but it surpasses the Verona in every way mechanically. It has better pickup and acceleration, 0-60 times, and a lot of it is attributable to the transmission, it helps the engine realize its potential. I know, because I owned another Daewoo with a GM tranny(The Nubira), and the difference was huge compared to the Aisin in the Leganza. You will really feel the difference when going up a hill. I am just saying that GM did this great car a disservice by using a GM tranny. The Verona has been selling worldwide as the Daewoo Magnus in Korea, and Evanda in Europe with either a ZF or Aisin tranny since the 2000 model year. Just wait and see, with GM's stupidity this car will get worse with each model year. First they downgraded the transmission, next they will put Cavalier plastic parts in the interior.
    Folks, again, we need to keep our comments mainly focused on the subject. This discussion is about the Verona and that's all.

As I've previously noted, we can compare the Verona to other vehicles on the Comparisons board and we can discuss opinions about brand issues in general on the News & Views board.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to drop me an email.

Now, back to the Verona ...
    Pat, are you referring to the discussion jkobty2 and I are initiating regarding the transmission and engine in the Verona? I dont really see how its a comparisons topic, it pretty directly correlates to the Verona...

curious,
    alpha
    Certainly we can discuss the Verona's engine and transmission, but when we keep bringing up other vehicles and topics in that discussion we are into areas that aren't appropriate in a single-vehicle focused conversation.

We aren't going to spend time discussing the discussion here - please feel free to email me with further comments, but meanwhile let's talk about the car!

:-)
  • 04veronaguy04veronaguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. New Verona owner here! Just bought it yesterday. LOVE IT!! But already had a problrm tonight. Had to go to my wife's work tonight and give her a jump! lol Only our second day of owning it. We are calling dealer tomorrow to have them look at it. She had no power at all. But after I jumped it with my truck, seemed to start up a little too fast. Had me thinking battery wasn't dead at all. Also, stereo was blinking COD ---- , wanting the code. That shows me was prob a power interruption, and not a drain. As radio memory would have still been there. Car sat for 8 hours while wife worked. NOTHING was left on, but when she came out to it, it seemed dead. No clicking from starter, no dome, NOTHING. Could it be a prob. with that fuse type thing on the Positive terminal? It reads: 120A ALT. Anyone know what that is? We are getting our owners manual tomorrow when we take them our trade-in, so I have no way to check what that part is. Does anyone know if that part could have caused the power interruption? Or has anyone else had this problem in the Verona? Please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated. Other than that, LOVE THE VERONA!!! Later all.

Jeff in Mo.
    No such problem experienced at all. All electricals and systems work smooth as silk. Maybe the car was not properly checked prior to sale. Dealers are supposed to check the car as a part of QC. Was the QC sticker on the Car when you bought it?. Looks like you might have a faulty alternator. That should be resolved by the dealer easily.Hope this sorts out well for you. Good Luck.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Who said that GMDAT isn't going to offer side-impact airbags and a new engine in the future? ;)
    do you have a website? 04veronaguy I hope you get this problem solved right away. Never leave your danzel in distress? Call the suzuki ast.# and have them take care of it. Happy motering
    They may offer side airbags and a new engine in the future but it will not be in the immediate or near future.

russ: Do I have a website for what?
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    In the Verona owners manual it states "do not use 10w-30 type oil. It states use 5w-30 only.
    I questioned the dealer about that an a check was made with Suzuki and the info in the owners manual is in error. The proper oil to use is
    10w-30. Maybe some of you (hopefully all) have read your owners manual. My Verona is doing great, but I only have a bit over 1600 milles on it now and still love to drive it........
    Ken
    do you have a webstite telling us about a new engine or side airbags? Just would be intrested in viewing it.
    thanks for the oil tip. I wonder if most oil changing places have the filter scince this is a new car for suzuki I was thinking on letting the dealer do it. Also you are right.What a ride!
    Let us know what the dealer said the problem is. Without the proper tools electricals can be a nightmare. russem3 I have yet to find a quick change place that has the filter, but I am due for the fourth change so if I find one I'll post it.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    In the letter from Suzuki they say...
    "While our 2004 models do not have side airbags, Suzuki has already begun to incorporate features aimed at enhancing vehicle compatibility, including side airbags and other features, in future vehicle designs."

Clearly stating they will have more airbag technology in furture designs. Not current offerings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4750162/
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The 05 Forenza wagon has side-impact airbags...
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I am debating between the Verona EX and XL-7 EX. I want the XL for the room and sitting up high but I like the Verona because of the features and smooth and quiet ride it has.

If anyone has test driven both or owns both, let me know what persuaded you to choose one over the other.

Thanks,
    Stacey
    Hey Ken how are you?. I would like Suzuki and others to clarify that point again on the type of oil. I emailed Suzuki tech in CA and asked about the oil. I may point out that the manual states that " in no circumstances should you use 10w30 in the Verona..". "the recommended oil is 5W30 and use oil having a "starburst symbol". "incase 5W30 is not available use 10w40. I asked my dealer and he said that 5w30 was appropriate in winter and 10w40 was fine in summer as 10w40 has a thicker viscosity and the higher temp in summer will make the oil more fluid. When I contacted Suzuki by email they confirmed what the user manual says. Their web site does not have any errata on the manual. In view of this I believe that 10w30 should not be used unless Suzuki indicates by a mailer or on the web site about the errata. Ken do you know anything about the use of synthetic oil? I think that these oils are costly.
    Hey Lil203000! Thanks for the lens cleaning tip!! Now I use that for cleaning the speedo and tacho lens and the results are excellent. The cost?. $2.49 that gives 25 cleaning wipes and a small bottle of liquid that I got from rite aid.
    I would also like to share an excellent way of wiping off water from the verona after a wash. I use the California silicon rubber blade. Believe me this is so good ..you dont have to use a cloth.No scratched too!!. I also found a super wax... The eagleone nanowax. I use it on my Verona and have found great results. I am not advocating these products but merely stating that I found them excellent for the Verona.
    I am now at 2250 miles. The Car performs superbly. The accelaration has greatly improved as has the ride. The Car has shown that it gives a capable performance after the initial break in period. Very happy with the Verona. The Car has a powerful Ac too.
    I am sure next year, the Verona would be more enhanced.
  • 04veronaguy04veronaguy Member Posts: 2
    Thanx all for your input on the run-down battery on our new Verona. Funny thing, I actually found out what it was when my wife came home the next night. I went to the window when I saw her pull up, was nighttime too, and saw that the brake lights were still on when she got out. VOILA! I had her get back in and tap the pedal, and sure enough, the lights went out. The next day at the service center, all they had to do was adjust the switch. Problem solved. She didn't catch it the other day when she went to work, cuz was still daylight. Thank you all for your input! You know, we are still amazed at how smooth a ride this car is, and how enjoyable! We took it to drive-in last night. Talk about better than any theatre. Comfortable too! Just went over 500 miles. Hell, we are STILL finding new features. Like the volume adjustment for the stereo on the steering wheel. THAT'S what that is for. I always tried to push it in, instead of pushing up or down. Learn something new everyday. Anyone else like that spacious mafia trunk? Well, gotta run for now. Talk to you all later.

Jeff, in Independence, Mo.
    gives Verona good review the story is on-line. Glad to hear your problem is solved 04veronaguy. We have had ours since Sep. with over 12,000 miles on it and all is well. I have still found that I have to schedule oil changes with the Chevy dealer down here so they can order the filter. I found this to be only a minor inconvenience.
    I also have noticed that this car gets faster as time goes by. They should review this car with some miles on it. I don't think it would end up in last place then. But the car is still smoothing out. I don't think you can go wrong with this car.
    Rasup, I can only quote what the service manager quoted from a Suzuki rep he contacted. He also brought it up on a maintenance screen of maintenance/service intervals from the Suzuki Pit Stop site. He informed me that was an error in the owners manual. If you have a contact at Suzuki, please send it to me by posting it here or to my E mail address and I will also contact them for an answer and will infor the service manager at the local dealer where I purchased my Verona.
    For those who have just purchased a Verona, theere is no transmission dip stick to check the fluid level. Only one maintenance tech at my dealer knew this. The fluid level is on a time/mileage check. I enjoy driving my Verona (oops.....I mean my wife's Verona). We have had it for just short of 7 months and it is about to turn 1700 miles. Will break it in one day.....
    Ken
    Veronaowner,
    I will email you the information. I will also contact the local dealer here and ask them to check on the right oil for the Verona.I was aware of the missing dip stick from this forum. Infact reading this forum has given me a lot of information that I did'nt know before.

Glad you are enjoying the Verona like I am!! Can you give me your email address?.
    Ken,
    Here is the email reply and question from Suzuki that I quote

REPLY...
    " Thank you for your email - in the 2004 Verona Owner's Manual, the following recommendations are given:

On page 5-8 - Do not use SAE 10W-30 or SAE 20W-50...or any other viscosity grade oil not recommended.

On page 5-8 - Based on temperature, use SAE 5W-30, 10W-40 is acceptable if SAE 5W-30 is not available.

On page 5-9 - Warning against SAE 10W-30 or SAE 20W-50

On page 6-10 - Recommends SAE 5W-30, 10W-40 is acceptable if SAE 5W-30 is not available.

SPS Support
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 12:09 PM
    To: suzukiadmin@cdcTechnologies.com
    Subject: Support

Name: Raj Iyer
    Email: private
    Business Name: Engr

QUESTION>>>
    Message: <bThere is a discrepancy in the User Manual and schedule of maintenance charts for the Suzuki Verona Engine Oil, The Schedule of maintenance states that 10W30 is acceptable but the user manual specifically states that " UNDER NO CONDITIONS SHALL 10W30 BE ADDED" AND SPECIFIES 5W30 OR 10W40 OR UNDER SEVERE CONDITIONS USE A SYNTHETIC OIL". This is contradictory!!. Please let me know what is correct?.> and email me. I have a suzuki verona S and it runs very well.

I hope this will help in resolving the question.
    Thanks

Other forum members may also ask the dealers or Suzuki and confirm.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello all, 7200 miles and very happy with the verona. this car gets better and better, and faster and faster. My check engine light came on and the dealer said the code read a bad 02 sensor, but the problem fixed itself, and the light went out. They said if it comes on again, they will change the sensor. Any one have this problem?
    P.S i was shopping for a forenza for my daughter, and the dealer i was at had a verona with a spoiler(which they had put on), and in silver. The car looked ok with the spoiler, but not good enough for me to put one on.
    I just bought a Verona EX today in garnet red and it came with the spoiler. I think it makes the car look a little sexier. It gives it a little more character.
    I have seen a few Veronas on the road. They are rather non-descript especially from the rear. Haven't seen one with the rear spoiler though.
    been trying to get a spoiler for my ex I guess some of the dealers got them. I wish suzuki would put them on the accessory list. As far a the car getting faster and faster from carrino I wish edmunds would do a extended test drive on this car
    then review it. Maybe they would change there tune.
    Rasup.... I also sent an e mail to the following address - suzukiadmin@cdcTechnologies.com - and I was informed they would send it on to Suzuki and I would get a reply. I received that reply today from a person at suz.com - I think I should not put their name here - and the person stated the owners manual information on the type oil is correct. Back to the dealer's service director I go this afternoon. He started a series of phone calls and got a bunch of voice mail where he left questions. He showed me the Suzuki pit stop screens for the oil type recommended for the Suzuki vehicles and all of them stated 10W-30, but also that the recommended oil for all vehicles is 5W-30. I am now waiting for another call from him as to what information he has received. When I get the info I will post it.
    I will continue to use the dealer for the oil change just in case. By the way it is equal or less in cost than the oil changing places around here and the dealer always has the oil filter.
    I still enjoy the Verona.
    Ken
    Ken,
    Thanks for the info. I think we will have to wait for a clarification from Suzuki. Even before I got my oil change, I had noted this point and informed my dealer. He was surprised that 10W30 was not recommended in the user manual. I think for all other models of suzuki, they use 10W30. He was'nt particularly happy to put 5W30 as he said that it was summer and the oil viscosity would thin due to high temp. He added 10W40 that has a higher viscosity than 5W30. I noted that initially, the Car seemed slow but picked up and runs very smooth. The Verona's computer seems senstive to changes and adapts to any change such as change in type of fuel,oil etc. The pit stop web site seems to still contradict the user manual. Ken, do yoou think its a good idea to buy oil yourself ( Maybe Mobil or sythetic ..) and ask the dealer to change?. Do they charge less for this?.
    My Verona is doing very well. No problems.
    Rasup..... I also think we will have to wait for a decision from Suzuki on the viscosity of the oil. If enough Verona owners contact the dealer or Suzuki for clarification we may get an answer very soon. I ask the dealer before with my Chrysler Concorde about bringing my own oil for oil changes and was informed there would be no deduction in cost. That was over 5 years ago and I have not asked them about the Verona. I will use regular oil rather than synthetic oil and change it every 3 months reguardless of the miles. I have less than 1700 miles on the Verona and have changed the oil 2 times.
    Ken
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Don't you think you are being a bit wasteful with the oil? 1700 miles and changed the oil twice already?? You basically are throwing away perfectly good oil. The general consensus for those who don't drive many miles a year is to change their oil once a year, twice at the very most. Engines are much cleaner running nowadays and don't contaminate oil like they did in the past. You may not care about wasting your money, but you might want to consider the extra waste in an environmental sense.
    The manual I got with my verona shows to use 10W-30 and only shows 5W-30 to use in really cold weather like 20 below zero.
    Here is a pic of a Verona with the spoiler from the dealership I bought mine. I bought the garnet red one though.

http://www.autobase.com/cgi/showphoto.exe?bc=1112804&photo=1
    Thanks for the picture.I have been asking my dealer about the spoiler still no answer this will show them thanks!