Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the info on Emissions Recall Campaign "KC". I will ask the dealer to get this for me next time I am there. I have noticed a few times there was a roughness in the engine when first starting that lasted less than a minute. Now that I have the oil issue (5W-30 instead of 10W-30)worked out with the dealer, I will work on the Campaign "KC" for my Verona. My Verona is doing well and starting to get better mpg.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    veronaowner and lil302000, I am very pleased you have found the info I posted useful. I am always happy to help. FYI, I first became aware of the KC update at the NY Auto show; they had a few Veronas on display and both had the KC sticker under the hood near the air intake. If your car has the sticker it already has the new ECM installed. It looks like Suzuki really has a winner here - I love my EX. Good luck with the car and I'll check this board periodically for updates.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello everyone. 11,200 miles and my ex is great. Just one small problem, i had a defective o2 sensor, which was replaced. The check engine light was coming on due to the o2 sensor. Now it keeps coming back on, and i am bringing it in for a sixth time for the same issue. Any one else have this problem, or a solution. The suzuki rep is going to come to the dealer to check this problem.
    Thanks
  • imissmyveronaimissmyverona Member Posts: 16
    Hello All

I am new to this group, and it is nice to find such a forum, and I need help FAST!

I bought a Verona on May 19th, and put 1700 miles on it. I LOVE THE CAR, I have 2, actually, one in my Shanghai residence (Daewoo Magnus), and took delivery of my Verona the day after I returned. I was inpressed with my Magnus, and even had bought a Daewoo grille and emblems for me Verona...

ANYWAY, the car has stalled about 30 times. When it stalls it is generally under acceleration (highway entrance ramp) or a steady 40MPH. My car is on its second visit to the shop, total days in shop: 24! THANK GOD FOR THE FREE RENTAL CAR!!

I checked online, and of the 12 complaints the NHTSA received on this car, 11 were for stalling. MY dealer has antoher one that Suzuki repurchased sitting on their lot with the same problem.

According to Suzuki, they are aware of this problem with many Veronas. They have a fix involving repromming of the ECM, BUT the EPA has to approve it! So these cars cannot be fixed...yet.

SO, today, I was offered a trade out of it. BUT NOT A VERONA. Suzuki will not assist me in a Verona. I dont want an SUV or a Forenza. I got the EX Verona.

The dealer carries Kia and Isuzu, and I really have no choice but an Optima, but, I REALLY WANTED TO SWAP IT FOR A VERONA JUST LIKE IT!

HELP?!?!?!?!!

Tired of my F-150 rental!

Eric
    I forgot to mention that the car always has had a very rough idle on a cold (Ohio July) start.

Problems with the automatic climate control were the diplay would "scramble" the temperature readings.

I have a feeling the idle problem COULD be related to the stalling problem...

If the dealer buys the car back, I have new in box factory bra, new in "bag" floor mats, and the European spec Daewoo grille and emlblems..

I REALLY want another Verona, but Suzuki won't let me, I guess I have to enjoy the one I have in Shanghai.
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    what is the different configuration between the two cars? I know the verona I have has no problem in this area. Maybe try to call suzuki and get a higher opinion I called and it seemed to rush things along. I know waiting for parts is a real problem it seems to go on forever. They want you not to get a 2004 ex.In my area you can't find one.Ask them to put your name on a 2005. Its less than 6 weeks away and if suzuki is notified of this maybe they will hurry this up.
    I have called Suzuki, many times. They are the ones that offered the exchange. I am not in a rush, but I have had the rental as much as I have my Verona, and am tired of the F-150 rental.

I know this problems does not affect all Veronas, and that is why I wanted an exchange. The dealer has another one just like mine in the showroom.

The service mangager at the dealership tells me mine will be the third Verona repurchased.
    I have contacted Suzuki, MANY times. I talked to the Chicago district service trainer. HE said Suzuki is aware of this problem, and they have a fix, reprogramming the ECM, BUT Suzuki is waiting for EPA approval of the fix, and could take some time.

I love this darn car, I just want another one! The only way for me get another one it seems is to go ahead and hire an attorney and do the lemon law thing. That can take ALOT of time.

In Ohio, to qualify for the lemon law, the dealer is given 3 tries to fix one problem, OR 30 days in the shop (25 so far) OR ....get this...ONE time for a potentially life threatening problem (I met that requirement.) I would get back every dime spent on the car if I did this.

Then, the consumer has the option for a FULL refund, OR a replacement car.

If I go this route, it can take months, and can cost me money out of pocket...I dont have the time, as I need to get back to China ASAP for business.

Below are ALL the compalints filed with the NHTSA on the VERONA...

CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10075993

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:BELTS AND ASSOCIATED PULLEYS

Details: CONSUMER STATED THAT WHEN DRIVING VEHICLE IT JUST SHUTDOWN. TOOK VEHICLE TO THE DEALER, AND THEY HAD IT FOR OVER A WEEK, AND CONSUMER WAS AFRAID TO GET BACK INTO IT BECAUSE CONSUMER THOUGHT THAT SHE MAY GET KILLED. *AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 1 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 06/01/2004 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 6/14/2004

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10075676

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Details: WHILE DRIVING, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT APPEARED ON THE DASHBOARD AND REMAINED ON. THEN VEHICLE WOULD STALLED. THE DRIVER TRIED TO RESTART WAS ABLE TO START AND DROVE IT HOME. THE NEXT DAY DRIVER DROVE THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER. THE MECHANIC INFORMED THE DRIVER THAT THE COMPUTER SYSTEM NEEDED REPLACEMENT. THE DRIVER INFORMED THE MECHANIC THIS PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED MORE THAN ONCE AND THE PROBLEM STILL HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVE. PLEASE FILL IN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. *NM

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 2 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 06/03/2004 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 6/7/2004

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10075101

Details: FROM THE MOMENT I PURCHASED MY 2004 SUZUKI VERONA, I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. PROBLEMS INCLUDE RIGHT SIDE PULLING (THE DEALER REPLACED THE TIRE BUT IT CONTINUES TO PULL. HOWEVER DEALER CLAIMS "THERE IS NO PROBLEM, YOU JUST DON'T LIKE THE VEHICLE"). PROBLEMS WITH IDLING AND THE CAR CUTTING OFF. PROBLEM WITH GEARS NOT SHIFTING FAST ENOUGH (MINE IS AN AUTOMATIC) BUT IT STALLS ALL THE TIME WHEN I AM TRYING TO ACCELERATE. I AM EXTREMELY UNHAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS AUTOMOBILE. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY A SUZUKI. I'VE PRETTY MUCH BEEN TOLD BY THE DEALER I BOUGHT IT FROM THAT THEY CANNOT FIND MY "MYSTERY COMPLAINTS" AND THAT THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO THINGS THEY CAN'T FIND. IT'S ALL A BUNCH OF BULL! I DO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT OTHER OWNERS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT, IT'S NOT ALL IN MY HEAD!

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 60 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 04/01/2004 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 6/14/2004

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10074783

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

Details: I HAVE HAD THE CAR AT TWO DEALERSHIPS FOR THE STALLING ROUGH IDLE PROBLEM. THEY CANNOT HIND THE PROBLEM .THIS HAPPENS ALOT WITH TIS CAR. SUZUKI NEED TO STEP UP AND ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 40 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/13/2003 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10074683

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Details: MY VERONA HAD A PROBLEM OF FEELING LIKE IT WASN'T SHIFTING RIGHT. THE FIRST TIME I WAS GOING ABOUT 40-50 MPH AND IT FELT LIKE THE BRAKE WAS ON OR IN FIRST GEAR. THE SECOND TIME 30-40 MPH THE SAME THING. THEN THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID " I'M NOT POINTING ANY FINGERS BUT IT SHOWS THAT THE THROTTLE AND THE BRAKE WAS ON AT THE SAME TIME". WHICH I TOOK TO MEAN I WAS DRIVING WITH MY BRAKE ON WHILE ACCELERATING. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE. TOLD HIM THAT IF I PULLED OVER AND SHUT THE CAR OFF AND THEN RESTARTED IT THAT THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY. THEIR ANSWER TO DRIVE IT IN (30 MILES) WHEN THE CAR WAS HAVING THAT PROBLEM.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 2 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 05/29/2004 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10067970

Details: THIS CAR STALLS AND MISSFIRES WHEN COLD. SUZUKI HAS A RECALL ON THIS BUT ONLY FOR CERTAIN AREAS OF THE CONTRY. THE DEALERS I CALLED DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS RECALL #XC

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 30 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/17/2003 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 5/3/2004

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10067949

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Details: I HAVE A 2004 SUZUKI VERONA AND ABOUT 3000 MILES IT STALLED AFTER DRIVING IT WITH THE AIRCONDITIONER SET AT ABOUT 72 DEGREES IN HOT WEATHER THE CAR RESTARTED ABOUT 2-3 HOURS AFTER COOLING OFF. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS ABOUT 3 TIMES NOW. I TOOK THE CAR INTO THE DEALER THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED AND THEY COULD NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT BECAUSE THE CAR WAS WORKING PROPERLY. THE 3RD TIME IT HAPPENED WAS AT THE DEALERSHIP AFTER DRIVING IT FOR AN 1 1/2 IN HOT WEATHER AGAIN. IT IS CURRENTLY THERE AND WHAT MADE IT INTERESTING IS THAT THERE IS ANOTHER VERONA BEING SERVICED FOR THE SAME REASON. BOTH SUZUKI HEADQUATERS AND THE DEALER ARE BEING VERY COOPERATIVE AND ARE WORKING WITH ME TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 3 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 04/26/2004 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10067939

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE

Details: MY VERONA HESITATES BADLY WHEN COLD AND CONTINUES ALTHOUGH NOT AS BAD AFTER WARMING UP. ALSO IT IDLES VERY ROUGHLY(MISFIRES) WHEN FIRST STARTED. THE CRUISE CONTROL SURGES EXTREMELY BAD WHEN USED.CONTACTED DEALER, AND WAS SUPPOSED TO GET A CALL BACK IN AN HOUR, THAT WAS 1 WEEK AGO.THIS CAR ONLY HAS 600 MILES ON IT NOW.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Fail Date: 04/27/2004 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10065822

Details: I HAVE A 2004 SUZUKI VERONA THAT HAS A POOR RUNNUNG CONDITION . THE DEALERS HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY SERVICE INFORMATION FOR THIS PROBLEM THAT ALL THE CARS HA
    CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10067949

Details: I HAVE A 2004 SUZUKI VERONA AND ABOUT 3000 MILES IT STALLED AFTER DRIVING IT WITH THE AIRCONDITIONER SET AT ABOUT 72 DEGREES IN HOT WEATHER THE CAR RESTARTED ABOUT 2-3 HOURS AFTER COOLING OFF. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS ABOUT 3 TIMES NOW. I TOOK THE CAR INTO THE DEALER THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED AND THEY COULD NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT BECAUSE THE CAR WAS WORKING PROPERLY. THE 3RD TIME IT HAPPENED WAS AT THE DEALERSHIP AFTER DRIVING IT FOR AN 1 1/2 IN HOT WEATHER AGAIN. IT IS CURRENTLY THERE AND WHAT MADE IT INTERESTING IS THAT THERE IS ANOTHER VERONA BEING SERVICED FOR THE SAME REASON. BOTH SUZUKI HEADQUATERS AND THE DEALER ARE BEING VERY COOPERATIVE AND ARE WORKING WITH ME TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Details: MY VERONA HESITATES BADLY WHEN COLD AND CONTINUES ALTHOUGH NOT AS BAD AFTER WARMING UP. ALSO IT IDLES VERY ROUGHLY(MISFIRES) WHEN FIRST STARTED. THE CRUISE CONTROL SURGES EXTREMELY BAD WHEN USED.CONTACTED DEALER, AND WAS SUPPOSED TO GET A CALL BACK IN AN HOUR, THAT WAS 1 WEEK AGO.THIS CAR ONLY HAS 600 MILES ON IT NOW.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Details: I HAVE A 2004 SUZUKI VERONA THAT HAS A POOR RUNNUNG CONDITION . THE DEALERS HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY SERVICE INFORMATION FOR THIS PROBLEM THAT ALL THE CARS HAVE. WHEN AT MILD TEMPS. IT WIL IDLE VERY ROUGH AND ALMOST DIE UNLESS YOU REV THE MOTOR FIRST AND LET IT IDLE ITSELF SMOOTH.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 10 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/31/2003 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 4/13/2004

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10065720

Details: I PURCHASED MY VEHICLE IN OCT 2003. SINCE THEN I HAVE TAKEN IT IN NUMEROUS TIMES, WHERE I WAS TOLD AT ONE TIME THE VEHICLE WAS "DESIGNED TO STALL". NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE. ANYHOW, IT STALLS, EVEN NOW THE WEATHER IS WARMED UP, IT STILL STALLS FROM TIME TO TIME. IT ALSO DOES NOT ACCELERATE PROPERLY, I HAD CONTACTED SUZUKI WHO CLAIMED THEY WOULD CALL ME BACK AND NEVER HAVE TO THIS DAY. I HAVE HAD A FUEL PUMP PUT IN, THE HOLD BUTTON NEEDED TO BE FIXED BECAUSE IT DEPRESSED AND WOULDN'T DEPRESS (WHILE I WAS CLEANING VEHICLE). IT HESITATES WHEN DRIVING AT A STEADY PACE AS WELL. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED FROM BOTH THE DEALER AND SUZUKI IS TERRIBLE. WHENEVER I AM APPROACHED IN PUBLIC WHILE TRAVELING AND PEOPLE ASK HOW I LIKE MY SUZUKI AND IT'S WARRANTY, I TELL THEM DON'T BUY IT AND YOU WILL NEED THE WARRANTY. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR BEFORE. SINCE WE PURCHASED THE VERONA WE HAVE SINCE PURCHASED A 2004 DODGE NEON, WHILE NOT FANCY, IT RUNS GREAT AND THE DEALERSHIP IS AWESOME. I TOLD THEM ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT SUZUKI AND TOLD THEM I HOPE THEY WOULD TREAT ME BETTER, SO FAR SO GOOD. THE SUZUKI DEALERSHIP SAID I COULD TRADE THE VERONA IN AND THEY WOULD GIVE ME $16,000 FOR IT, WHILE WE JUST PAID $21,000. GREAT DEAL! THAT WOULD BE LIKE RENTING A CAR FOR 4 MONTHS AT $1,000 PER MONTH. WE DECIDED TO KEEP THE CAR AND KEEP TAKING IT IN WHEN WE HAVE TIME TO DO SO. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE PURCHASE THIS CAR UNLESS THEY ARE BORED AND WANT TO DRIVE THEIR MECHANIC AROUND TOWN IN THEIR SPARE TIME.

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 5 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/28/2003 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10050591

Details: PURCHASED A 2004 VERONA ON 10/01/2003 AND THIS IS MY FOURTH TRIP BACK TO THE DEALER FOR SERVICE FOR THE SAME ISSUE OF ROUGH IDLE, HESITATION AND THICK WHITE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST. VEHICLE HAS ALSO STALLED AND I CONSIDER A SAFETY RISK WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERATE FROM STOPS THE VEHICLE DOES NOT MOVE OR WHEN TRYING TO PASS OTHER VEHICLES OR GOING UP AN UPGRADE AND THE VEHICLE DOES NOT DOWN SHIFT AT TIMES.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 4 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 12/15/2003 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 12/29/2003
    CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10067949

Cause:

Result:

Cause:

Result:

Details: I HAVE A 2004 SUZUKI VERONA THAT HAS A POOR RUNNUNG CONDITION . THE DEALERS HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY SERVICE INFORMATION FOR THIS PROBLEM THAT ALL THE CARS HAVE. WHEN AT MILD TEMPS. IT WIL IDLE VERY ROUGH AND ALMOST DIE UNLESS YOU REV THE MOTOR FIRST AND LET IT IDLE ITSELF SMOOTH.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 10 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/31/2003 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10065720

Details: I PURCHASED MY VEHICLE IN OCT 2003. SINCE THEN I HAVE TAKEN IT IN NUMEROUS TIMES, WHERE I WAS TOLD AT ONE TIME THE VEHICLE WAS "DESIGNED TO STALL". NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE. ANYHOW, IT STALLS, EVEN NOW THE WEATHER IS WARMED UP, IT STILL STALLS FROM TIME TO TIME. IT ALSO DOES NOT ACCELERATE PROPERLY, I HAD CONTACTED SUZUKI WHO CLAIMED THEY WOULD CALL ME BACK AND NEVER HAVE TO THIS DAY. I HAVE HAD A FUEL PUMP PUT IN, THE HOLD BUTTON NEEDED TO BE FIXED BECAUSE IT DEPRESSED AND WOULDN'T DEPRESS (WHILE I WAS CLEANING VEHICLE). IT HESITATES WHEN DRIVING AT A STEADY PACE AS WELL. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED FROM BOTH THE DEALER AND SUZUKI IS TERRIBLE. WHENEVER I AM APPROACHED IN PUBLIC WHILE TRAVELING AND PEOPLE ASK HOW I LIKE MY SUZUKI AND IT'S WARRANTY, I TELL THEM DON'T BUY IT AND YOU WILL NEED THE WARRANTY. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR BEFORE. SINCE WE PURCHASED THE VERONA WE HAVE SINCE PURCHASED A 2004 DODGE NEON, WHILE NOT FANCY, IT RUNS GREAT AND THE DEALERSHIP IS AWESOME. I TOLD THEM ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT SUZUKI AND TOLD THEM I HOPE THEY WOULD TREAT ME BETTER, SO FAR SO GOOD. THE SUZUKI DEALERSHIP SAID I COULD TRADE THE VERONA IN AND THEY WOULD GIVE ME $16,000 FOR IT, WHILE WE JUST PAID $21,000. GREAT DEAL! THAT WOULD BE LIKE RENTING A CAR FOR 4 MONTHS AT $1,000 PER MONTH. WE DECIDED TO KEEP THE CAR AND KEEP TAKING IT IN WHEN WE HAVE TIME TO DO SO. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE PURCHASE THIS CAR UNLESS THEY ARE BORED AND WANT TO DRIVE THEIR MECHANIC AROUND TOWN IN THEIR SPARE TIME.

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 5 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 10/28/2003 Deaths: 0

Check to Include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10050591

Details: PURCHASED A 2004 VERONA ON 10/01/2003 AND THIS IS MY FOURTH TRIP BACK TO THE DEALER FOR SERVICE FOR THE SAME ISSUE OF ROUGH IDLE, HESITATION AND THICK WHITE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST. VEHICLE HAS ALSO STALLED AND I CONSIDER A SAFETY RISK WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERATE FROM STOPS THE VEHICLE DOES NOT MOVE OR WHEN TRYING TO PASS OTHER VEHICLES OR GOING UP AN UPGRADE AND THE VEHICLE DOES NOT DOWN SHIFT AT TIMES.*AK

Cause:

Result:

Occurences: 4 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 12/15/2003 Deaths: 0
    MCS Check Date: 12/29/2003
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Rough idle or stalling problems with Daewoos are 99 out of 100 times because of a clogged fuel injector. 2 options
    1. Detect which fuel injector is bad and replace it.
    2. Perform a professional fuel injection service.
    3. Only use regular 87 octane unleaded. daewoos seem to be sensitive to fuel additives.
    I doubt it has anything to do with the ECM. Suzuki really does not know because this car is not a Suzuki and they have not had any experience with it.

Try the above and thank me later.
    Suzuki is aware of the problem, I have spoken with the rep today. He tells me the computer is "rebooting" and that causes the stalls. My selling dealer in Alabama is aware of the problem, and so is my servicing dealer in Ohio. It IS a problem with the car. The problem is for US and Canadaian models ONLY, it is a SOFTWARE problem, from what I told. If I had a Euro or Korean spec ECM, it would be fine. Seems they rushed the ECM programming to get it to the US and Canadian markets...

My first stall happened on THE DAY I TOOK DELIEVERY of the car, with less than 50 miles on it. No way it is an injector.
    I have ONLY used 87, the prices of gas, its all I want to spend. I NEVER use alcohol gas, and I use only name brand, BP, Shell, etc...

Like I said, they say they have a fix, ECM software upgrade, BUT they have to get EPA approval first, since it will change the emissions...
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    If it was a general software problem with the US and Canada models, then it should be a problem on all the cars, not a few of them. So how come very few people are getting this problem?
    That question the rep did not know, but the NHTSA, my selling and servicing dealers, as well as Suzuki are aware of this problem. When the fix is approved, I am sure that all Veronas will get the upgrade.

I was surprised when I found all the complaints to the NHTSA on the car for the same problems I have been having...

The other one with exactly the same problem as mine that was repurchased by Suzuki also has a cold idle problem, as mine does.

I was also told that when it stalls, the computer reboots to "new" so there are no codes stored, and the "fuzzy" settings are lost.
    This is a mess your having. I think you may have to wait to get this right. Now it seems to me that suzuki and gm daewoo would be working on this problem day and night to get it right. Also it does sound like a massive recall. Hope everything works out for you.My problems are a drawn out shift between 2nd and 3rd. Like you would pop a clutch. Dealer had it a week said he did a adjustment. Don't think so drove it home last night and will be calling him today!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    How can recalls of Suzuki Verona be called massive? As of May 31, calendar year to date sales (5 months) have been less than 7000 units.

If all are recalled it might be massive for the model, but it is a drop in the bucket in the automotive world.

This also means that there is likely not a huge work force of staff working on the problem. Good luck, I think you may need it.

This is may be part of the perils of buying a car from a very small manufacturer. I wonder how parts availability and prices for these parts will be a few years down the road for a very limited volume car?
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Hello back friends. I was very busy and away on vacation. So I missed some of the action in our forums. It is sad that "imissmy verona" has faced serious problems. Reading from the forum so far, I find a couple of serious cases. Most of the users seem to be happy with the car. Here's my experience so far.
    Number of stalls = none
    Cold starts = none.
    A/c electrical problems = none
    Running = very smooth.
    Fuel used = 87 octane.
    Oil= 5W30 with starburst symbol.
    Complaints = none so far.
    I wonder if eric's car is a lemon?
    I must say that you have to get used to the nuances of the car like..the car improves after 3000 miles. If your car does'nt kick the first time, wait for 10 secs before firing it again.
    Be careful of the fuel you put in. Use the same pump always if possible.

good luck with the car eric.
    Suzuki said the 05 verona will be out in October. They called me today and they will be trading me out for another Verona EX. I just wanted to test drive it for a few hours to make sure its not going to die on me....
    well now will have to change your name to idon'tmissmyveronanomore hehe just havin some fun.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    In the latest issue of PM (Homebuilt H-Bombs), there is a spy photo of the next generation Daewoo Magnus. I had seen that exact photo somewhere else on the web recently but I can'r remember it. BTW, the picture REALLY is a spy photo of the next Magnus. I suggest all of you go out and read the latest issue of PM! Oh, and if I find that picture, I'll be sure to post it here! :-D
    Hi,
    Its a long time since I've seen posts of veronaowner, lil20300, alpha and other regulars. A note about the irritable engine check light that has some Verona owners perplexed. One of the main reasons is that the sensors of the gas cap are senstive to moisture or improper closure. If you reclose the fuel cap with three turns, the problem goes away. Also the closure plate is not well designed as it allows rain water to get inside and around the fuel cap. Suzuki should put a rubber gasket lining to prevent water from swishing around the fuel cap. On wiping the area dry the engine check light vanishes. That is not to say that this is the only cause. Fuel quality also seems to affect the computer. In all cases I think its best for Suzuki dealers to address the issue and for Suzuki to remedy the defects.
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    I have not had the problems described here with my Verone EX, but then I have less that 3000 miles
    on the car and purchased it last Oct. I had the right rear seat belt replaced as it locked up and would not extend to go over a person in the seat.
    I had a problem with a Sun roof part that caused a rattle and the part was replaced. Confusion of the type oil which has now been acknowledged by the dealer and they have the proper oil (5W-30).
    I have had a few seconds of rough engine running when first started. It goes away in less than a minute.
    I hope I excape the problems experienced by imissmyverona and a couple of others on this board. I need to get more miles on mine to check it out.
    Enjoy your Verona, I enjoy mine.
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    Just to let you know we have 18,000 miles on our Verona, with the exception of the air bag recall all is well. rasup is correct if make sure the gas cap is good and tight the light will not come on. I have done the same thing you have done with the hesitation issue just let it run a minute and it smooths out. I have no reason to believe that GM and Suzuki will not find a software upgrade for the ECM. We have to remember this is a first year run for this engine and bugs can happen. The key will be the fix, GMDAT have to work and get it out as soon as possible to keep us buying the product. Being that I have had a few cars in my life this is not new to me, I had a 76 Chevy pick up with an I6 that would give you whiplash if you didn't let it warm up but it ran and ran and ran.
  • isles7983isles7983 Member Posts: 2
    Back in January I went to a Suzuki dealer because I was in desperate need of a new car(My '99 Pontiac Grand AM kept breaking down, I would never recommend a Pontiac to anyone). My plan was to purchase a Verona. The salesman couldn't get the car started...Sign #1. Over the next couple of weeks I looked into a few other vehicles, the Mazda 3, Nissan Altima, and another Verona at another dealership(this one started, but shifted awkwardly...Sign #2). After test driving all 3 I narrowed it down to the Mazda 3 and Nissan Altima. Due to limited availability of the Mazda 3 I had no problem deciding on the Altima. I'm glad I did...12,000 miles later...no problems and it starts and runs like a GEM!
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    So you came all this way to say not to buy a Verona???....ok.....
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    We tested the Nissan as well, we bought the Verona better price and higher quality build, especially the interior. Almost a year 18,000 miles and no real problems just let her run for a minute like I do with the motorcycle.
    I appreciate the fact that each one has his own preference, but I went through the same channels--I test drove Mazda, Altima, Camry and Accord. I picked Verona for its price value and smoothness. I am happy that I did. The Car sales company in your case did not do the homework. I have 3300 miles and the Car runs superb. Not to say that Altima was one of my choices among the above. But go to mycarstats.com and read of the trouble tales of Altima owners and you realise that every car has some units that simply are not prepared and checked prior to sales. The dealer is respnsible for not checking out the cars and following the Company criteria in such cases.
    The Verona is a very good car. I'm afraid you missed a good chance of giving it a try.
    I hated to do it, but Suzuki kept changing their mind about trading me out of it, etc, And getting *&@#ing tired of paying on a car and not having it, being in the show well over a month, I have retained an attorney today to force Suzuki to repurchase the car.

They have no fix yet, www.nhtsa.gov has over a dozen complaints on stalling, and this is NOT what I paid for.

Under Ohio law, I get back all my money, payments, tax, extendand warranty, not even a pro-rated amount for use.

What do I intent to do after I get the refund? Wait it out, see if and when Suzuki gets the fix, then I will probably get a 2005 Verona, or the restyled 05 Sonata/Optima, or possible a Kia Amanti.

Has anyone gone to NHTSA and seen all the compalints?

Cheers!
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsear- ch.cfm

Not user friendly. But you can see the complaints on this and any other car.
  • jg15lzbjg15lzb Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new '04 Suzuki Verona a month ago and I absolutely love it. I just had to tell the world about it. It rides so unbelievably smooth, it even handles the bumps with ease. The 6-cylinder offers decent acceleration, nothing to hoot about, but it isn't exactly slow , either. I'm actually used to this kind of performance because before I purchased the Verona I had an '01 Elantra automatic (which is a little quicker, though). So its nothing new to me. So there's really nothing to complain about in the Verona, but I do have some annoyances. I would really like more bass from the stereo, and it would be nice if it had rear deck mounted speakers instead of on the rear door. I was considering on buying a Sonata GLS-V6, but I figured the Verona S was a better deal. You get more features, more room, and you pay less. I think I made the right decision, but time will tell if I made a mistake.
  • pciro2180pciro2180 Member Posts: 43
    My verona is currently at the dealer and has been there for 2 weeks. Suzuki was nice enough to put me in a rental until the fix is completed. i am good friends with the service manager and I called him today and he told me they pinpointed the problem with the ECM. he says that Suzuki is trying to get approval from the EPA to install the upgrade since the emissions will go up. He also told me that the upgrade will possibly push the car up to around 200HP. he asid the ones over seas can push 300 HP because they don't have the strict tune down restrictions for emissions like the american cars do. Personally, if the stalling stops and i get 200HP, overall I would be happy, who wouldn't be if they got 45 more horsepower!
    Another one that stalls! One thing I dont understand...with the old/current ECM software it seems only a small percentage of these cars stall out. I wonder why that is...seems maybe Suzuki does not know exactly what causes it to stall.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I agree, if it a software issue, one would think all cars would be affected. What causes the software to become "unstable" and "infected" in some cars and not in others? It is interesting; over the weekend I saw a full page Suzuki Dealer ad. Of the new cars, the Verona was not advertised at all. It makes one wonder....
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Just completed a ten day round trip to Denver from Bend, Oregon. My mileage for the whole trip was 29+ mpg. My freeway mileage generally ran 30 31 mpg. I am not a fast driver so my freeway speed averaged only about 70 mph. Had the air conditioning on about half the time. We have 13,500 miles on the EX and have had no problems except the ocassional minor roughness at start up. I just give it a little gas and it immediately smoothes out. Was a wonderful trip and I didn't end up with any bugs in my teeth like the guy riding the Honda Silver Wing that passed me in Wyoming. Geesh. Didn't know those scooters could go so fast. I took the Verona up to 100mph at one point and it was solid as a rock. Great car.
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Does anyone know when the 2005 Veronas will hit the road?

Also, will it have more horsepower? IF yes, how much more?

I like everything about the Verona except the occassional roughness at start time that people are talking about.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Someone commented that Im not around as much as I used to be here on the Verona board. I am still enjoying all the postings from satisfied (and the occasional unsatisfied) owners, but since my contentions with the Verona remain (slow and thirsty for its class and engine output, lack of side airbagage, unattractive center stack on the S model, etc), I dont really have much to say. I think the Verona is a very good car for the money, but not the insane deal that some do. If GM Dawuki can make incremental improvements to the car, and come up with a convincing marketing campaign, I'll bet sales begin to ramp up. That said, Im not convinced the car is more appealing than a Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 for example, something not bound to improve when that model gets a full redesign in less than one calendar year.

~alpha
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Isn't the totally redesigned Hyundai Sonata due by the end of September 04 ( 7 weeks from now )?

Spyshots of that car look great! Seems to have everything! Accord, Camry, Altima and the Mazda 6 may soon have to try very hard to catch up with the 05 Sonata. I won't be surprised if that happens.

But I am digressing. Verona is a great car. All that I am asking is a little more horespower ( in the 210 - 230 HP range ) and side air bags.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    FWIW....I too had a stalling problem with a 2000 Dakota with teh 4.7 engine. It took three PCM updates to finally fix it. Part of the delay, as was mentioned with the Verona, is due to EPA regs that hold a very small window during startup for emissions. Once DOdge got the go ahead for the update and my PCM was flashed, the stalling went away.

Different vehicle I realize, however the circumstances are nearly identical.
  • easterbabyeasterbaby Member Posts: 25
    I bought my Suzuki Verona Jan 2004 and had problems from the first week. The radio would not work because they couldn't find the code so they had to take it out to reprogram, the car would not go forward when I hit the gas pedal, the transmission would jerk, then worst of all it would just cut off whether sitting still or in motion. In that six month period, I had to drive 6 loaner vehicles. People began to ask me if I owned a car lot because I was always in a different car! ;o)So I filed a lemon law claim and after 6 months I got a brand new Verona. But the story doesn't end there because after 1 month and a half of my new Verona replacement, it cut off on me while I was driving down the street. Same problem as my first Verona.

The thing that got me during my first ordeal was the fact that Suzuki did not believe me which is why I had to go file a claim. But now, from what I have been told this time around, my car along with 3 other Veronas are now sitting in the shop waiting for Suzuki to come and fix them. So I am in loaner car number 7.

Good Luck to you all who have not experience any problems. But if you do, don't let them fool you. I am a witness that this car has major problems.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    "Spyshots of that car look great! Seems to have everything!"

Yes it does seem to have everything. Styling cues from everything else on the market that is.
    Don't get another Verona! I got a new Verona via lemon law claim b/c they could not fix my first one. And the second one is having the same problems. It took 6 months to get the 2nd Verona and I am curious to see how long it takes before this situation is resolved.
    Here is something funny: In my first Verona, the CD player did start the songs over and it was annoying at first but I got used to it. Actually, it was the least of my problems because I was more concerned about the fact the car wouldn't run. Anyway, I got another one, Verona that is, and in this one, the CD allowed the songs to pick up where they left off. I thought that was strange.
    I am happy for all of you who are enjoying your Verona. But this is no comfort to those of us experiencing problems. When I first began to experience so many problems I was told by my salesperson, that so far no other person with the 2004 Verona has had any problems. But when I am constantly having problems and making payments on a car that spends more time in the shop than with me, what good is that news to me?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I simply do not believe your postings. Member of Edmunds Town hall since 8/6/04. Somehow I think you are someone else making up a new alias. How about posting pictures of yourself with your Verona, parts of the paperwork when you bought the car, etc. To make your story believable.

If you had really filed a lemon law claim and won, you would have been issued a cash settlement of all costs involved. Why did you take another Verona after problems with the first one?
    Its true that some Veronas stall and the problem is in the ECM program. This typically occurs after the Car is started and you try to run it without a small wait. This happens when you try to push the car when the car is cold. Some thing triggers the ECM to shut down and go cold. These appear to be occuring in the early batch of cars. As mentioned by one of the forum members, the fix is probably being initiated by Suzuki. Alpha I dont like the Sonata's 04 styling which I think pales to Verona's style. I have'nt seen the 05 Sonata. Easterbaby Can you provide the VIN numbers of both the Cars to know the details of what went wrong?.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, let's remember that we all should take things we read "on the internet" with a grain of salt. I don't think it is necessary to ask folks to post pictures, VINs, etc. to back up their posts. We're all free to make up our own minds about whether any given report is plausible.

Let's move on.
    I don't care if you don't believe me because I don't know you and you don't know me. If I wanted to I could provide alot of evidence to show I telling the truth but I don't have to because it doesn't matter to me if you or anyone on this forum believes me. I was just sharing my story in hopes to help someone out.

I took another Verona b/c I like them and I assumed that the first one was a fluke, in other words I just got a bad one. But I had that option so I took it.
    Like I replied to the other poster, my story is very true. What possible reason would I have to search out this forum and make up a story about filing a lemon law claim against Suzuki on my verona?

I just don't have that kind of time on my hands to make up stories. Some other may have that kind of time but not me.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Easterbaby, that is what I was saying - it is not necesary for people to ask you to post documentation. I wasn't questioning you at all.

You are going to be deluged with spam at that email address if you leave it posted. What you can do is make it public in your profile. That way people who are logged in members can see it, but the spam bots cannot. If you want me to delete that message, just email me. :)