Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    The car is now a year old, so the extended warranty would give me 3 more years.The offer I received in the mail was 5years/60,000miles for $564 w/$100 deductible. What your saying is take this offer to the dealer and see if they can do better? Thank you for the great advice.
    Just curious now that the price of gas has risen to date in my area to $3.13,has anyone thought of trading in the Subie for a hybrid?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Just curious now that the price of gas has risen to date in my area to $3.13,has anyone thought of trading in the Subie for a hybrid?

Our Legacy 2.5i wagon gets about 30mpg. The only other AWD hybrid I could find is the Ford Escape which gets 29/27 so I don't see the value.
    Even the Prius, which is rated at 48/45 would take several years to offset the price penalty from the hybrid, and lacks AWD, any towing capacity, and has lower roof weight limits. There are some tax benefits and "feel good" that might be associated with it though.
    I would be more inclined to go with a diesel then a hybrid, personally.

I guess to answer your question, I haven't considered trading a 30 mpg car that meets all of my needs and expectations for for one that lacks features I use because the cost of gas went up (and is still cheaper than bottled water).
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I would do several things.

First, determine which plan you need. For example, if you already have a lot of miles on the car, then a plan with more miles is what you want. For me, I only put on about 10k a year, so the 6yr/60k plan made the most sense. You even want to graph out how many miles your car will have accumulated in 3 years to make sure you get the right plan.

You should definately approach the dealership to see if they can beat the offer (which they should be able to). If you want to save money, contact a Subaru dealership in New Hamshire or another state that doesn't have sales tax. (Yes, you can purchase the warranty through the mail/phone.)

Also, you take a look at the plan in the mail- I bet it was the classic or basic level plan. Most people prefer the gold plan since it covers more. Also, stay away from the $100 deductible. My experience is most repairs you might need during the warranty period won't cost thousands of dollars. Paying that deductible could actually deter you from using your warranty. Personally, I chose the $50 deductible because I thought it was a good compromise between the low cost $100 deductible and the expensive $0.

In the end, I still think taking the money you would have spent on the warranty and putting it into a high yield savings account is probably the best deal of all. There's nothing wrong with purchasing the warranty, though.

Good luck!
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    my experience with the Subaru ext plans
    92 Legacy - never got my moneys worth, everything went to heck after the ext warranty ran out!
    98 Legacy, got my moneys worth, new a/c, 2 new power antennas, oil leak (and they changed timingbelt with it), dealer did some freebies too - HVAC light bulbs which aren;t really covered
    02 WRX - ball joint and strut so far.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No hybrid for me. No AWD would be a deal killer. Of course all the other hybrid hog-wash involved as well. For instance, what happens when the battery dies down the road? Your milage goes to nil cause you are pushing the heavy batteries with a tiny gas engine. Also what about the ramifications on the environment of the disposal of the batteries... etc. etc.

-mike
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Might as well get a Fit or Yaris if MPG, reliability & cost are the top factors. Nearly as good MPG, much lower cost.

I think viable electric commuter cars will be here within five years, and I'd much prefer to have one of those (like Subaru's recent G4e concept, please!) in my multi-car household.
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    I owe a 2008 2.5i Outback and I'm wondering if there's a way to "control" the ipod or mp3 player directly through the stereo ? I tried the function"text" with no success...

Is the "integration kit" the only solution ?
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Don't you have a plug in your center console for input. If I recall correctly you plug and RCA plug into the headset jack of the i pod and plug the other end (another RACA plug) into the receptacle in the center console. Turn the volume way up on your i pod and set for radio for "auxiliary". Thats the way it works on my 07.
    I know what you mean and that's the way to connect the ipod, mp3.
    What I'm wondering is: Is it possible to "control" the ipod e.g. changing songs etc. without the use of the ipod but directly with the stereo...?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Not with the factory stereo. Aux in is simply a 3.5mm jack connecting to the headphone port on your ipod. This is a one way connection, not 2 way. Only the serial port on the bottom of the ipod can receive info, and the factory stereo is not configured to talk to an ipod anyway nor has the right connection. In short, if you want direct, real ipod control, you'll have to replace the factory stereo with something from the aftermarket...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Or buy this:
    Subaru iPod

Probably won't work with all models/years.
    Thanks for the technical info...I discovered that it doesn't work on the Outback:
    "2008 Impreza models without factory navigation and without satellite radio."

http://www.subaru.com/ipod/faq.jsp
    You might want to find out if there is any difference in the control structure between the radios. When I was looking for a trailer hitch and electrical connection I was told up and down by the Subaru parts department that there was no fitmet for a Legacy wagon, it was just the Outback, yet everything back there is exactly the same and the electrical connector was plug and play.
    Not with the factory stereo. Aux in is simply a 3.5mm jack connecting to the headphone port on your ipod. This is a one way connection, not 2 way. Only the serial port on the bottom of the ipod can receive info, and the factory stereo is not configured to talk to an ipod anyway nor has the right connection. In short, if you want direct, real ipod control, you'll have to replace the factory stereo with something from the aftermarket...

and you can't do this or your HVAC won't work.

I believe the Ipod controller works on all 06+ legacy/outback radios.

-mike
    That would be a pleasant surprise for me... my '06s (two of 'em) don't even have aux input.
    hmm maybe it was 07 they put em in? Whichever ones can read MP3s are the ones with the aux-in IIRC. (I have an '05)

-mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Yeah Mike they added the aux input on the '07 and on. Although, the '06 are supposed to be able to play MP3 CD's.

Mark
    Ah ha. Yeah I can play CDs that were created from MP3s but not CDs with MP3s on them. I don't have an aux-in on it either. :(

-mike
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    30 mpg... ? average?

You must have a manual transmission and be driving on a flat highway all the time.

I haven't averaged better than 19-22 mpg over 3 years and 48,000 miles with an automatic and a mix of 70% stop and go and 30% highway.
    I have a LGT 5MT.

On the highway with cruise set at 70-75mph I get 27.5mpg
    In the city with 90% city/traffic 10% highway I get 23mpg

With my 235-45-17 summer slicks I'm getting 19mpg due to my very aggressive driving with them on. Once I switch to my winters or regular all seasons, I'll jump back to 23mpg in the city.

-mike
    You must have a manual transmission and be driving on a flat highway all the time.

I haven't averaged better than 19-22 mpg over 3 years and 48,000 miles with an automatic and a mix of 70% stop and go and 30% highway.

Yup, Legacy 2.5i 5spd manual wagon. In Michigan. 75% hwy 25% city. If it makes ya feel any better, Miss LilEngineerBoy gets about 25-27 mpg. I find that if you let the instantaneous MPG meter re-train your right foot, the fuel economy pay-off is rewarding.
    Also, I am not that impressed with the power of the base 2.5 wagon. Its okay, but the Accord EX 4 cylinder spanks it (and gets better mileage). I know there is some weight and parasitic loss for the AWD, but something about the gearing and the power output make it feel a little pokey. I can't complain too much, at the time we got the wagon there was nothing in its transaction price range that could touch it feature-wise.
    Subaru keeps sending us these guaranteed trade in value things, and thats great but until they make a Legacy Turbo wagon with a stick, we don't have so much interest (and since they dropped the Legacy wagon all together and haven't had a 5spd wagon since '05...I guess thats what happens when you get bought by Toyota).
    Toyota only bought something like 9% of FHI and that was only about a half of what GM owned. something about Japanese anti trust regs
    my new OB with 4EAT downshifts quite abruptly when its just coasting to a stop, its nowhere near as bad as my Windstar (but that is also on its 3 rd tranny) but its much more noticeable than any of my previous 3 Legacies or my Tribeca.It is a different system to the other cars though , is this "normal" for this particular 4 speed sportshift box? Fluid level seems ok.
    06 Outback w/ 8,000miles 2.5i auto. I am meticulous about checking my fluids and noticed over the past year the coolant level in resevoir go from "full" to "low" mark
    (always checked when cold). I've brought it to dealer, said that as long it doesn't go below the "low" mark it's within specs. They checked to see if coolant got into the oil and did a pressure test, came back fine. Dealer says that as the system cycles
    the readings will depend on where it stops. Any truth to this? I asked if I there is a time I should be adding coolant service manager says never. Hmm... now I've had an impreza before and it never used coolant like this and the levels were always stable. Also checked the differential fluid and it was on the "low" mark of dipstick, dealer just added more fluid and said everything's fine no leaks. Again, should I have to be adding differntial fluid, is this normal? I never had to w/ the impreza. Please help as I feel like something is not right w/ car and dealer not helping. Thank you so much!!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    See if it ever drops below the "low" mark (check often, though, so it doesn't stay there for long).

There is usually an overflow hole, so the system will lose some fluid if it goes over that level. This might happen when the fluid is very hot and expands.

Just a SWAG.

The compression test was a good thing to do, now you know it's not leaking in and burning in the cylinders.
  • kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Juice - Do you think Rebel's dealer did a compression check - or pressurized the cooling system looking for leaking coolant that way?

I agree that the compression test would be a good idea.

Ken M. (Seattle)
    Not sure, but that's a good question...
    Thank you all for the replies. I read my service reciept and they did a "pressure test" is this different from a "compression test"? Any ideas about the differential fluid, is it normal to add some every so often? I never had to w/the impreza. I hope to have this vehicle for a long time but these things concern me. What a great group you are! Again, thank you for all the help. :)
    They probably pressure tested the cooling system, by that description.

You should check the diff fluid at each oil change, I suppose. Gear oil is thick, mine takes 75w90.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    The dealer cleared the line last week, and so far, so good. I can operate the defroster non-stop without any leak into the passenger footwell.

My son and I watched the tech clear the line. With the car up on the lift, he just pulsed a few bursts of compressed air into the end of the line. He had obviously performed this procedure many times -- when he removed the nozzle, he stepped aside, and the blockage (a wad of dead leaves and other gunk) fell out, followed by a surprising amount of water. It took 90 seconds, maybe.

Now that I know how simple it is, and how easily it can be integrated into a normal oil change, I'm going to ask for preventative clearing every other oil change. I'm also popping the hood at every fill up and clearing leaves and debris as best I can.
  • snowbrom21snowbrom21 Member Posts: 21
    Hey everyone, i've got a 07 Outback XT and I was thinking about putting the SPT cold air intake system on it. Has anyone had any experience with this kit?

A friend of mine recommended it to help with the altitude lag I seem to get when I'm in Mammoth (7,500 ft elevation).
  • ryanlooseryanloose Member Posts: 3
    it is winter now here in colorado and i have started using the heater in outback. this is my first subaru so i am uneducated. when i stop and have the heater on after driving for awhile there is a burning rubber smell that come in the car. just wondering what that could be? also, when i turn the vent preference from one setting to another, like from feet only to defrost and feet, air always comes out from the dash vents, i was wondering if this is normal?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    On what sorts of roads are you driving? Are they slippery or dry? I think you are probably smelling the odor caused by slippage from clutch packs, but if any oil has leaked on to the exhaust system (as from a recent oil change or possibly a leak), it could also be that.

And, regarding the vents, is it the vents on the far right and left, or the ones in the center of the dash? A small amount of air always comes from the ones on the far right and left as long as the fan is on.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The SPT Intake and exhaust net a 15hp gain at the wheels. I know one of the guys on the SPT team and he's a true subie fan (we used to auto-x back in '99 with our subies) and did a lot of testing on the current intake and exhaust. Well worth the $.

-mike
  • ryanlooseryanloose Member Posts: 3
    Well, i was driving on basically dry highway but also side roads and driveways which were mildly slippery. And yes, it is the two far right and left outside vents. Slippage of clutch pack? Is that an bad indication or is that normal? I had an oil change just prior to the smell, and likewise, have not smelled in two weeks. Also, i would like to note that i was driving up mountainous highway in and out of passing gear before smelling the rubber smell if that helps any more. Thanks for the input.
    I've read mixed things about the SPT intake... some say it allows warmer air in, and possibly road spray as well; some say needs a heatshield installed as well; some say to get any gain, ecu needs to be re-tuned afterward. If you can't get a good response here, try nasioc - many modders there, and newer WRXs have the same engine as your XT, so you'll likely get some direct, relevant answers.
    I've seen the dyno sheets on the exhaust only section and they showed 12hp at the wheels gained w/o any re-tune. The intake alone will not do a whole lot for you though.

-mike
    So I am looking to get a set of snows for the '05 Legacy Wagon 2.5i (BASE). I keep thinking I am going to do this, and then we don't get any snow and or have brand new all seasons. I have a few road trips for this winter and just would like the added security.
    I have been looking at craigslist for steel wheels/alloy wheels/whatever I can find, and I am wondering what fits. I know the Legacy has a HUGE offset (55) and it looks like even the WRX is a 53 offset. Is that close enough? What offset does the Outback and Forester have? How concerned about it do I really need to be (or what is the range for what works and what doesn't)? Do I need hub-centric wheels? The 5x100 is the easy part.
    Thanks.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Both of my Subarus -- an 01 Outback and an 04 WRX -- made a slight burning smell when driving in slick conditions, especially when they were new. It always seemed more pronounced if I'd been driving on the highway (rather than in town). Anyways, general consensus was that it's a normal condition.

Brian
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    I do not think you have anything to worry about. As the newer Subaru Outbacks have an exhaust pipe that literally snakes its way around the oil filter, it is highly likely that oil will drip on the heat shields covering the pipes when the oil is changed. That may be some of the smell.

As was likewise mentioned by Brian, clutch pack slippage is normal (that is why they are there!), and they tend to have a pronounced smell when new. I smelled it for a while in both an 07 and an 08 Outback. Especially if I climbed hills/mountains in concert with tight curves. The 08 was definitely pungent a few weeks ago at Lake Tahoe when it had about 2000 miles on it, and I certainly did not overwork or abuse it. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Offset for the Forester and Outback is 48...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

You need hub-centric rims in 5x100 as for offset you can pretty much get away safely with anything from 48-55. Your best bet these days is to buy from tirerack and have them mount and balance the tires and wheels for you. This basically saves you anywhere from $70-100 for the mounting and balancing.

-mike
  • mfortenberrymfortenberry Member Posts: 6
    Now that my Legacy 2.5iSE is getting over 20K miles on the OEM Advan tires, I'm thinking about new tires. I have had good luck with Yokohama Avid H4S, but they are not available in 205/50/17. Has anyone put on 215/45/17's on a non-turbo? (I believe this is the size tire that comes on the turbo models) I don't think there will be any clearance issue with the 10mm extra width. According to my calculations, the 215's will actually be slightly smaller in rolling circumference as compared to the 205's. I don't think this will cause my spedo to be off by very much. Please advise if you have any comments.

Thanks!

Mike F.
    Mike, I can't speak for the 2.5i however I don't think there are any different clearance issues between a turbo and non turbo. I run 235-45-17s on Rota Battle rims w/o Issue. I know of a few folks running 235-45-17s on stock 17" turbo rims as well. No clearance issues.

-mike
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    Hey all,

I've got a 3-month-old OXT with MT5 and sometimes on a full-throttle push the engine will accelerate, then hesitate, then take off again. Not turbo lag - the hesitation occurs after a couple of seconds of full throttle. Any guesses? This seems like a dealer warranty issue to me. Maybe a bad spot in the throttle position sensor?
    Yeah could be a TPS issue, either way it is a warranty issue. If you can re-produce it for them, then it should be fixable.

-mike
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    I just took the car in to Austin Subaru, and they got it back to me in about two hours. They downloaded a new program into flash memory. It was labelled "Hesitation from 3,000 to 4,000 rpm", or something like that. Seems fine now. I'll find out after it stops drizzling...
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    My 08 2.5i 5MT OB has that "aroma" too especially after driving in damp/wet conditions - can't decide if its the brakes or clutch.
    Good to read that its "normal" ... ;)
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    My 06 3.0 also had a distinct odor after driving in snowy/icy conditions. I am now in my third winter of ownership and I have not noticed the odor this year, despite two snowy days. Maybe whatever it was has subsided.