Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    I have not seen any significant issues arise yet for the 2009 Outback. It is the fifth and final year of the current model generation, so I expect that most if not all kinks are worked out for this model year. It is the 2010 vehicles that may re-introduce new hiccups....

I was able to use half of my GM points to help my brother get a decent discount on the Cobalt he purchased early last year. That was a nice feeling, and I did not even have to settle for a GM to use the rebate! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Kurt also came from a Malibu Maxx, in his case to a new Forester XT.

The kinks have been worked out so the Outback is a pretty safe choice, IMHO. We haven't seen many HG failures since MY03 or so, and that's 5+ years.
  • wallie502wallie502 Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up an 09 Legacy SE and I've got two questions.

1) I'm looking to replace the boring rubber shift knob with something nicer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I like the Momo one offered by Subaru accessories but it's kinda pricey. Also, can I perform the switch myself, and if I don't buy a Subaru-approved unit, can I be sure that it will fit my shifter?

2) Center arm rest extension - does anyone actually buy this? If so, is it worth it? I think it'd be nice. Can I perform the install myself?

Thanks.
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I have an LLBean Outback and my wife has a Legacy. Don't waste your time/money on the arm rest extension. We have it in my wife's car and it just gets in the way. It sometimes pops up when you don't need it. You can rest your arm without it- as I do in my wagon.

Get the Momo shift nob, but not from the dealer. Get it off of eBay or somewhere else you can get it cheaper- then you're guaranteed a good fit.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    And I'm the other way from plim77 - I like the arm rest extension (I have the LL Bean also). I've read either here or one of the subaru specific sites how to do the install yourself. As for the shifter knob, I never did it but ebay sounds like a good alternative.

Mark
    I cannot say for sure on the Legacy, but they typically screw on to the shift rod and are quite standardized. Replacing one should take a matter of minutes. The only fit issue that seems quite possible is if the boot attaches to the knob. In that case, if the replacement knob did not have a similar attachment point, the boot would be troublesome thereafter....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2009 Subaru Legacy SE (base) and I have on a few occasions experienced the car's rear end sliding out of control in a tight medium speed turn(on ramp). I asked Subaru about this and they said they would note the issue. I feel the car is very unsafe. Any suggstions?
  • longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    There are a bunch of aftermarket places that offer shift knobs, but the cheaper ones that I've seen look cheaper. If you google "Legacy" and "shift knob", you can find the suppliers. Also, you can check the archives or put up a query at legacygt.com/forums. The guys there are always talking about aftermarket suppliers.

Removing the knob is basically a twist-off deal where you're breaking some kind of adhesive bond. Some of the aftermarket suppliers post the installation instructions when they list the Momo know. You can also probably find instructions at the above mentioned forum. Because it's basically a twist-off, a lot of aftermarket knobs should fit.

I'm the opposite of Wallie. My wife drives the LLBean Outback and I drive the Legacy. We both have the extended armrest. My wife doesn't use hers. I couldn't do without it.
  • longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    I just drove an '09 Outback SE loaner with 1,600 miles. Nice car. My wife has an '08 LLBean and they handle essentially the same. The Harmon Kardon sound system is definitely better than the '08 version and it's great that they added power and heated seats. Two drawbacks in the SE, IMHO: manual climate controls, which are a pain to operate, and lack of a sunroof.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I have an '09 Legacy SE and I love it. The SE package on the Legacy does come with a sunroof. I agree about the manual climate control though...I was driving an '01 Taurus SEL that had Auto Climate Control, and it was nice to set it and forget it.

However the Legacy just drives so much nicer than the taurus that the climate control thing is a worthy sacrifice.

Outta curiosity, does your LLBean have the 6-cylinder or the 2.5 4-cylinder?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • legacyman1legacyman1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, I am now an owner of an 05 subaru legacy i just bought it last week! Its an auto matic and not the gt model, since i am new to the subaru legacy can anyone tell me how to get this thing louder with out changing out the exhaust? Any trickd you guys may know? Any thought about tinting the windows?
    Don't make it louder...you'll just annoy the hell out of the people around you and give Subaru a bad name. Besides, I don't think there is a way to do it without fooling with the exhaust. I don't recommend messing with the exhaust either.
    hey thanks for the info any thoughts on tinting?
    Well, sounds to me like you are simply pushing the car beyond its traction limits in these situations. The stock tires, Bridgestone RE-92A, are not particularly adept at managing traction anyway, so best to not push it unless you replace the tires with better rubber.

Are you accustomed to driving FWD vehicles? If so, take some time to learn how to drive the Subaru AWD and control the rear end, and you will come to appreciate the responsiveness and ability to control the car. It is truly a joy. ;)
    If I still had my Outback, I would put a 40% on the rear passenger windows and perhaps darker in the cargo area. The #1 complaint I get from my children while driving is sun in their eyes.
    Ok great! i'll check on the tinting laws here right now i want it to look good but i also want it be dark enough to be safe aswell. I really love this car i just bought it last week and still looking for ideas and suggestions on what i could do to this 2005 legacy 2.5i automatic. Its white so i think the tinting will look real good.
    White - yeah, those look really good with tint (paisan has a white '05 GT wagon with dark tint), but you probably ought to go for consistent tinting on those windows behind the first row, as the difference in tint will be much more apparent on a white car. I would not go any darker than 40% on my rear passenger windows simply so that the children could easily see out them, yet they would still cut down the "light in the eyes" issue.
  • wallie502wallie502 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have good ideas about aftermarket ski roof racks? My Legacy doesn't have any sort of rack right now, so I feel like a temporary (aka removable) one, if available, might be cheapest and most flexible (I could transfer it between cars). I found one that seems to hook in at the door openings, but I think that it won't work with the Legacy's frameless windows. Has anyone heard of that kind/tried it? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    The two big players in the roofrack business are Thule and Yakima. Both are very nice & work with frameless windows - but careful about how you close your doors. If you prefer round bars, its Yakima, rectangular bars are Thule. Then the specific attachment for bikes, boats, skis, etc., attach to the bars. Its not cheap - but what is? My son's many Thule racks and attachments to carry 3 bikes on his 94 Legacy are probably worth as much as the car itself. I've got Yakima, so we have both.

You are right - without gutters, the racks use clips that will just touch the frameless windows. We're just careful. The manufacturer sites list the applications and part numbers for your specific year & model.
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    Just bought a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5 speed manual with 55K miles for 12K. I feel I stole it. :) Its in great shape , all records, new clutch, new brakes, new yokohomo avid tires. My only complaint is that it has no floor mats. To my shock, no dealer in my area seems to have the light beige/ivory interior floor mats for this car and say that only the black carpeted mats are for sale. Can this be right?? Please help. Looking for OEM floor mats here, not aftermarket that don't fit specifically this model. Looking on internet, not coming up with anything. :cry:
    I would forget the floor mats and go with the all weather mats. My floor mats are still in the plastic and sit in my closet because I love the all weather mats. I'd sell you mine, but I'm keeping them for when I trade the car in a few years. You may want to look at eBay for the mats, I find a lot of OEM parts there.
    I agree. If water, ice, or spills is a potential issue, I strongly recommend WeatherTech mats. They are form-fitted to the model, and work quite well. They also come in tan, grey, or black.
    I don't disagree. I actually want both. the rubber ones seem to be readily available, the carpeted more of a challenge. subaru of america is looking into it now and will respond tomorrow.
    Ah, gotcha. For the ones I mentioned, which I think are called "floor liners," the carpeted mats must be removed in order for the liners to fit in the wells properly.

Good luck in your hunt. I would think the factory mats should be readily available, but sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the most complicated!
    Well, after a struggle I got my carpeted floor mats. The say "LL Bean" which was a particular outback trim, not a lagacy sedan, but they are the exact cut and color. They're OEM subau mats, but apparantly the exact same specifically for the Legacy sedan same color same year no longer exist. These are virtually identical though. I also got them at close-out price, all 4 mats for $37.00, so I'm very satisfied. I also got the 60K service done ( I just bought the car), runs even smoother now. No I just need an owners manual.
  • jholtanjholtan Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if this is 'old' news, but I spoke with a Subaru rep this week while getting my oil changed at the dealership.

1) New 2010 Outback being launched at the NY autoshow (will start showing up in dealerships for showing in May) and sale in June/July

2) Diesel is a potential for the Outback (NOT the Forester) this year. Launch hesitation is due to US drivers overwhelming preference for automatic, and they currently only have a manual transmission. Trying to get something to work - which may delay things. This individual mentioned it would be a 2.5L Diesel, rather then the 2.0 in Europe (if true, bummer IMO as it would likely affect fuel economy)

3) There will be a larger distinction between the legacy and outback styling-wise as Subaru tries to extend their customer-base beyond the types who post to this forum.

4) No pictures, but a comment that the Outback may be a bit bigger and with styling more 'squared-off'

5) They also mentioned the possibility of an electric car in testing. Unique model, very small.

jh
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Any mention of a Legacy WAGON?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I have a set of Nokian CS tires which usually live on my small RV but i want to put them on my 08 OB. The size is fine (215/65-16 and I run that size X ices in winter on my OB already). My question is what tire pressure should I use? the max on those tires which are really light truck tires with 109/d load rating is 74, they are supposed to be at 60psi on my RV- a Winne Rialta- essentially a Eurovan cab and winne coachbody - I'm sure 60 psi is too much for the OB but how low can I go, I'm concerned there must be a level where they won't remain seated on the rims. Should I go somewhere in the 40s?? any thoughts-pleez, pleez, I 've had no responses on legacyGT or subaruoutback!!
    I run load range D tires on my 3/4-ton pickup. Their max inflation is 65 psi. When running in the winter or without load, I will run at 35-40 psi. But, they cannot carry much of a load at that pressure (I would not put more than 1000# in the bed of the truck at this pressure). If I know I am going to haul, I will fully inflate the rears to 65, but I never inflate the fronts to more than 50. Right now, running it strictly in the summer and not typically carrying obscenely heavy loads, I run 50 fronts, 55 rears.

I think you should be perfectly safe running the tires at 35-40. If the tire squats significantly at that pressure (which it shouldn't without a load), I would give it more pressure. The high pressure rating is only for safe load carrying, which is something like 2500# per tire, so you can run the vehicle at highway speeds without excessive heat buildup in the tire.
    thanks wes!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For $37 I would have ordered 2 sets! That's *cheap*!

Seriously, order another for when you sell the car.
    Not a bad idea, I think they have one set left.
    the 2.0D in europe is available already with the 4 speed auto
  • jholtanjholtan Member Posts: 8
    No, no mention of legacy wagon - but I didn't ask.

The fact that the 2.0 already has an auto corroborates they actually may be launching a 2.5L diesel

Speaking of European Diesels - had my first experience while on vacation in Spain in a Ford back in 2004 (something slightly smaller then a Fusion - Mondeo?) Anyhow - that thing was amazing. We're in the mountains and you could feel the thing accelerate so strongly when passing on the Interstate going up a steep hill. I finally understood what Torque really means! It got crazy good mileage - and you needed it given the gas prices and expensive tolls.

For what it's worth, the drive from Barcelona to San Sebastian seems so close on a map - don't make the same mistake, take the train. With the exception of some cool low-altitude mountains by the Atlantic, it's mostly desert-like with probably thousands of windmills
  • idearequestidearequest Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I have a 2005 Subaru Outback sedan, 6 cyl with automatic. It's recently started to flutter slightly when warm starting, but I've had no other problems. I use the recommended premium gas. The car has only 18,000 miles on it and has been serviced regularly. At a recent, major service, the dealer didn't have any ideas....said to come back if a light went on. I'm out of warranty due to the age of the car, which I have had since it was new. No other problems so far. Any ideas?
    Thanks very much.
    Could you more fully describe "flutter". I own the same car with about the same miles.
    Thanks. It's like a slight stumble while starting....as though it's stuttering for a second or two, but it doesn't pause or anything more. Is your car newer? I haven't driven mine a lot, thus the small number of miles for its age. Thanks.
    Mine is the same age, but has no problems. First thoughts:

The 3.0 likes 91-93 octane.

Is your engine temp normal when it stutters....the 3.0 is known to have some hot spots in the cylinder head which were cured in the 3.6l re-design. The cooling changes are what permits 87 octane in the 3.6. Check coolant level. Some earlier 3.0 engines needed "burping" to get rid of air in cooling system...try a search for much earlier posts.

Are you sure there is no water in your fuel?

Have you tried an Italian tune-up...wide open throttle to max shift points under full load several times.
  • schen1schen1 Member Posts: 2
    I have poor circulation so my feet are always freezing while the rest of my body is ok. With a 09 outback I could never get my feet warm, either on the driver side or passenger side.

The problem with the Subaru design is that the "feet only" setting is almost identical to the "feet and windshield" setting, where most air flows out of the windshield vent and the console vent, and just a fraction comes out of the floor vent.

I wonder if this is something the dealer can tweak. Otherwise this car is going to be a major main for me to drive in the winter...which ironically was what we bought it for!
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You can close the dash side vents, so more air will flow to the floor. It won't be much more, but it will be a small improvement.

When it comes to climate control, you, unfortunately, have one of the worst cars in the world. Subaru just doesn't get the concept, even after all these years.
  • schen1schen1 Member Posts: 2
    That's a bummer! The car is otherwise perfect, but climate control is so important to me! I did specifically make sure that they had a "feet only" option but I guess I didn't have cold feet that day. It's less than 2 months since we had the car,
  • fandcfandc Member Posts: 51
    You didn't mention if you had the manual or automatic climate control. If it is the automatic CC, do you have it set on auto. or are you playing with the buttons?
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    2005 models were first produced early 2004 and you probably didn't get yours until May or June the earliest. The drivetrain warranty is good for 5 years.... so unless you got yours in March of 04, I don't see how your warranty is expired. You only have 18K as well.
    Thank you for that reminder. What expired were my previously purchased service tickets, so my comment about warranty was likely wrong. I'll double check. Thanks again!
    Wow, this site is wonderful. I really appreciate the help.

This doesn't happen when I first start the car for the day. It happens after it's run a bit but then been sitting for a little while, so it's not usually cold again yet.

I use premium gas and just had all the fluids service done. Since then, I've tried a few Italian tun-ups and will try a few more. I'll also check on the other things you mentioned.

Thanks so much.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    If you don't find any help here, there is a website devoted to this car. I cannot state that here. Just google it. It ends in .org. The people on it get back right away regarding advice.
  • 2005outback2005outback Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Outback with 78K and a cylinder head just blew on my way to work last Friday. There are no warning signs and from all the research I've done so far this is a big problem with these cars. Subaru claims to have fixed it but obviously they haven't. My repair bill is up to $3000 so far. If you get the regularly scheduled maintenances, I would ask them to check your head gaskets/compression test so you have something in writing. I am very disappointed and if they don't help me out with this I will never own a Subaru again.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    Bless your heart for bringing this one up. I own 2006 O.B. 2.5i. with 22,000 miles on ODO. I'll dump it on it's 3ed anniversary (May 31), and buy Toyota Venza.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I have a 2005 Outback with 78K and a cylinder head just blew on my way to work last Friday. There are no warning signs and from all the research I've done so far this is a big problem with these cars.

It was normally associated with 2 generations prior 2.5l engines. In '97 or 98 through 2002, it was a matter of time, apparently. Many were covered by the Subaru provided extended warranty through 100k miles. Others were offered goodwill cash to offset the cost of the repair.

So far, including yours, I have heard of 2 head gasket failures with 2005+ motors. I don't know if that constitutes a massive upheaval at this point. My '05 only has 40k so far so I hope it holds up. Its had its first coolant change at 30k and everything looked fine at that point.

I would definitely contact SOA and see what they can do for you. They seem to be very reasonable if you can provide maintenance records to show the car has been taken care of. Good luck with your repair.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I own 2006 O.B. 2.5i. with 22,000 miles on ODO. I'll dump it on it's 3ed anniversary (May 31), and buy Toyota Venza.

At least you can take advantage of the Subaru's stellar resale value when you get your SUV!