Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If subscribing doesn't work, send me an email and we'll see if we can't figure out the problem.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    "i am also amazed at how strong some of our members are here. i cant visit a dealership unless i know i am buying a car. "

- Why do you think I passed up a test drive on an STi??????!!!!!! ;-)
  • k9nolesk9noles Member Posts: 14
    Woo-hoo! Wife and I just took delivery of HER Atlantic Blue, taupe interior Legacy GT Limited sedan 5MT last night. (Yes, the lady had to get back to a 5 speed-been hearing about that for last 2 years!)

One of the first of its kind to show up in the Boulder, CO area, we're told-Got some serious looks all the way home.

Beautiful handling, great accel-let those RPMs climb a bit and boom! First time we saw it, we owned it! Usually wouldn't do that, but got it for 3% over invoice by ordering in April. Dealer says that price is just a dream now...MSRP all the way, and very few even coming in...

Still reading manual, learning how to take care of our first turbo, etc. Will gladly share any impressions, if wanted.

Our dealer, Flatirons Acura/Subie, in Boulder, said their Subie rep was in yesterday and "Had no knowledge" of any of the special offers I have seen reference to on this board. Hmmmm....What do you make of that? We're previous Subie owners, also here in Rocky Mtn. region...

This board has been a big help-Helped me discern that our Legacy was not yet built when the side airbag thing came up. Thanks to all...off to hit the road. (sorry for long post, but yesterday ended 5 months of waiting!!!)

Steve
  • mfhmfh Member Posts: 37
    the $500 above invoice deal at Stevens Creek through end of June. Sounds alright, except that "invoice" there seems higher than what Ive seen online.

Just in case, you were ready to make the deal.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Yeah, I heard about the Stevens Creek offer. However, I don't trust that dealership for a minute. I'd gladly pay more and go to a dealership that I trust.

I just received a call from Santa Cruz Subaru. My Legacy GT Ltd Wagon (5EAT) is due in on July 12th! So I have a few weeks to make up my mind.

Ken
  • mfhmfh Member Posts: 37
    Good for you. I'm having transaction-phobia, it stems from some deep-rooted problem in my bank account!

Where are you going to take your car to be serviced?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ken: you should have purchase *that* car, the one you drove. You should still consider doing that, IMO.

Tell her congrats Steve. GT LTD sedan manual, boy that's a fun combo! Nice color too.

-juice
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Since the W8 Passat wagon is discontinued I have been considering what will replace it in a year or so. Tried the Bean and found the new six to be very pleasant...adequate linear acceleration, smooth trans, low sound levels, BUT much rougher ride and poorer handling than my W8.

Then drove the GT wagon which to my surprise rode better than the Bean even with the low profile tires. Handling was superb. However, I think hesitation followed by breakneck accel would be very hard to live with in Chicago's heavy, closely spaced traffic. Bottom line: If my W8 were stolen or totaled, the Bean (or preferably VDC) might be the only choice available. Too bad when Subaru was polling for opinion on engine choice for the GT most said they wanted the turbo.
    FWIW, Subaru is field testing an H6 with a 6 speed manual in a Spec B Legacy (in Germany).

The turbos mate up nicely to the manual trannies.

-juice
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    what is spec b, c, etc?
    Don
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Legacy 3.0 Spec-B is a 250 HP H-6, 6-speed manual (STi tranny), with 215/45x18 (not 17) tires, Bilstein shocks, and reportedly will be on sale in Europe this fall in both sedan and wagon.

Bob
    thanks Bob

Don
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Congratulations on the new GT sedan!! I'd like to see pictures of it if you get the chance at some point.

Craig
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    We just put in the order--and a deposit. August delivery of OB-XT Limited (5-speed) Atlantic Blue/Gray Opal. $500 over invoice.

Zman
    Man, people are really flocking to these new Legacys and Outbacks! :)

Bob
  • salbaby1972salbaby1972 Member Posts: 165
    I wanna flock to, but gotta wait 12 months or so... :( Congrats too all with the new Subies. I envy all of you!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm Spec B might do it for me in sedan config...

-mike
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    At the moment, there is such a price premium for hybrids that there is no reasonable payback--which restricts appeal to a limited group. If volumes go up, then prices can be reduced, but until prices are reduced volume will be limited--my own guess is that it would take another one dollar per gallon to really fuel the hybrid craze which I don't think is likely in the next couple of years. So I wouldn't lose sleep yet--there are many better things to worry about if you wish to worry!
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Just thought I'd chime in to say I'm up at about 850 miles or so on my GT Ltd. Wagon 5MT and I'm still LOVING IT! ;-)

I've yet to go over it with the clay bar and a coat of Klasse AIO but it's been pretty hot up here in the PNW for the last couple weeks. I know, at this rate I'll never make the OCD club. Oh well, I've never professed to being the OCD type.

I have had it tinted though. I'll post some pics in the crew photo section. Looks very sharp!

Cheers!
    -Ian
    juice,

Yeah, but the one I drove had 28 miles on it already and it wasn't even PDIed. THAT would make me worry.

Actually, for some strange reason, my worries about the 5MT and 5EAT have calmed down a bit perhaps in part to the positive experience from yesterday. Yeah, so it won't be uber-fast off the line, but it'll be plenty fast and smooth. :-)

Still planning on taking delivery on the week of July 12 if nothing else changes.

Ken
    I'd love to see the pics and to know what brand and type of tint you used.

Ken
  • shizumaatshizumaat Member Posts: 12
    Where's the crew photo section?
    It's called:

Subaru Crew: Photo Gallery

I wanna see the pics...

Navigate to that thread.

--Sal
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    Picked up my legacy sedan, GT MT Silver today. Had 6 miles on the ODO, condition was very clean (Nice job Patrick Subaru). I am taking it relatively easy regarding the engine (max 4k) but am still impressed with high gear pick up. Cruising at 6o in 5th, put the loud pedal to about half way and hit 80 in almost no time. Some other initial impressions are that the car rolls a little more than I expected under hard cornering (although you should recognize that my last real performance car was a supra twin turbo that had go-kart like suspension). Some little touches that impressed me include the wiper de-icer function is an independant switch (I assumed it was linked with the rear window de-frost) and the INCREDIBELY USEFUL moulded cover that fits over the spare - this has multiple compartments that are great for storing odds and ends (mine is already populated with bug spray, spare golf balls etc). I will post further info after a few more miles and then much more stuff when I can open it up and start having some fun. So far very happy with the purchase, thanks to all contributors to this board and especially Juice

Pete
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    posted.

I'd add a link here but I'm not THAT html literate. Heck, if there wasn't the "how to post an image" thingy below the message entry screen I'd have had to ask for help with that too! ;-)

-Ian
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thanks for the ordering tip. This forum kicks. I heart Subies.

:)

~alpha
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    anyone else get the summer edition of Drive? Got it Tuesday and the whole edition is about the new Legacys.

Greg
    Not yet. Maybe in today's mail?

Bob
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats, and jealous thoughts to the new owners!

Mark
  • warpaswarpas Member Posts: 8
    I was very close to leasing a new OB (either Bean or XT) and then found I could lease an Audi Allroad(or Volvo XC-70) for about $10 more per month due to discounts and low lease rates. The soob is nice but looks like an allroad for me.
    Thought I remember hearing that the Audi was sluggish?

The Audi has been out much longer, so I would expect better lease deals due to demand/newness.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    An allroad wouldn't be as fast as a GT, mostly due to its heavy weight, but it's far from sluggish. The 2.7t engine is twin turbocharged and puts out 250hp itself. Even the automatic version gets to 60 in around 7, I believe.

The only thing is I'd suspect it wouldn't feel as sporty as a GT, knowing the weight, the feel of Audi's awd, and the pneumatic suspension. But if it's being compared to an Outback, obviously sportiness of the suspension isn't a top priority.

If you can get one for that cheap and like it, go for it.

Mike
    "If you can get one for that cheap and like it, go for it"

- Especially on a Lease.
    Especially on a Lease.

I can say that again! I'd lease one, but not buy one again...

The allroad powerplant is great, to bad it had lots of problems for us. We had less than 40K miles on the 01 allraod and it was leaking oil. It was in the shop for 2 weeks. Around 50K it was in the shop again for 3 weeks. :( It was sad, you'd expect more from a 50K car. Over 25K of warranty repairs... ugh...

At 4200 lbs, its fast, but hardy sporty.

--Sal
    Got my issue of Drive yesterday too! It's great -- the entire issue is devoted to the OB/Legacy.

I also received the $25 test drive offer and free maintenance coupon as well. So, if there is anyone out there who hasn't received one and is planning on buying or leasing a 05 Leg/OB by the end of September, let me know.

Ken
    Congrats, zman.

Pete: congrats to you, too, I'm jealous buddy!

The Audi makes the same 250hp but it's a *lot* heavier, so it'll be slower than the H6, much slower than the turbo. They do offer a V8 option now, but that probably costs more.

IMO the XC wallows and doesn't handle very well. Try it out for yourself, though. I'd prefer a plain V70 AWD wagon.

Coupon - I got mine by e-mail. Maybe they're sending those to the folks that registered on need-desire.com?

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I received the combo coupon as well. If some one can use it, let me know as it will probably be sometime early next year before I'm ready to buy.

At least I can do the test drive for now.

Mark
    Got it today.

Bob
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    5 speed stick that is! Cmon, If I can put up with 5 speed stick in Lincoln Tunnel Traffic, anybody can. Do not get the auto!
    Also, maybe I need to get a better job beause at the rate people are buying these cars, you would think SOA is giving them away.
    Wow, do you do the Lincoln Tunnel every day? You probably need to do calf-raises with just your right leg to keep them even!

Ken
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    The site seems to be down...I wonder if it's temporary...hope not! I loved staring at the purty pictures :-)

-KarenM-
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I received a Legacy/Outback free maintenance offer too, if anyone wants it. Got mine in the snail mail. Very nice for those contemplating the Leg/OB.

-Brian
  • reilsreils Member Posts: 3
    Hi, folks. I'm about to take delivery of a sweet OB XT LTD 5MT (how's that for acronyms?) black/black. Yeah, it doesn't handle as well as the Legacy GT, but I am happy to trade some handling prowess for the opportunity to drive hell-bent through the Adirondack woods. Got it for invoice at Van Bortel; they're selling all vehicles at or *below* invoice -- check 'em out at vanbortelsubaru.com. The turnover is pretty fast (whaddya expect from the #1 Subaru dealer in America?), but that's because they have great prices and un-matched customer service. It's almost too good to be true.

My only problem is that I haven't been able to obtain that "free scheduled maintenance" offer that was discussed a few days ago. I signed up on need-desire.com in February and am a current VW owner, but I never received any offer in the mail. Is there any chance that someone out there would be willing to part with their coupon? I'll happily pay $25 (or more?) for it, since it's worth quite a bit to me.

Thanks for everyone's help in buying my new car! I'll be posting an update in a few days with useful driving impressions and would be happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Cheers!
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Congrats.

I'll look for you when I come up to Rochester area (I'll be in the blue '05 OB-XT LTD 5MT).

Zman
  • yankee617yankee617 Member Posts: 36
    Hi all,

I bought my 35th Anniversary Edition OB'04 and the only option I ordered was a trailer hitch... for which I paid $400+tax here in New England. I got the car a few days ago but without the hitch. The dealer says they're trying to get one shipped here (from a few states away) but it hasn't arrived yet... they won't give me a firm date on arrival/installation so I'm getting perturbed. My brother says I should get my money back and buy the hitch elsewhere... he says it will be just as good & cost half as much but can't give me a specific place to get it since he's out of state.

What do you guys say? Should I stay with a dealer-installed hitch despite the unexpected delay? Is it true I can get a cheaper "just as good" hitch elsewhere and, if so, where?

Thanks, Yan.
    Here's the latest update of my Outback and Legacy online reviews page, including eight new links in the past nine days or so. Some of these links I stole from y'all :-)

Enjoy! -KarenM-

http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html
    I ordered a hitch for my '05 Outback wagon from my local Subaru dealer and it arrived in 3 days. I'm having it installed tomorrow (along with a front bumper protector). Don't know the cost yet. -KarenM-
    Got a hiddenhitch for my wrx at 1/3 the cost of the subaru one. Looks better too since most of it is under the rear panel.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    http://www.rideanddrive.net/

Locations are SF, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, LA, Chicago, Philly, Miami

Here is YOUR opportunity to put yourself behind the wheel of the BMW 325i, Subaru Legacy GT Limited and Volvo S60 and perform your own side by side comparison. Like our editors, you will be putting the cars through their paces in one of our ten city Ride & Drive programs, experiencing acceleration, braking, handling, and accident avoidance situations and forming your own opinions.

Sponsored by Car and Driver and Road and Track magazines

DaveM